John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 7 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


140 workmen. It may therefore be inferred that, with
moderate success, he must have acquired an appreciable
degree of material wealth during the many years he
has spent in consequential business as a contractor. As
a matter of fact, he has been universally successful, for
he knew his business thoroughly before committing
himself to independent work. And latterly, as a capi-
talist, he has been brought into connection with many
other outside enterprises. He owns stock in many
manufacturing corporations in Chautauqua county;
Mr. Bailey is one of the largest stockholders of the
Brocton Furniture Company, of which he is vice-presi-
dent.

Politically, Mr. Bailey is an independent Democrat,
but has been too busy with business affairs that needed
almost his undivided attention to have much time to spare
for participation in political movements, and he has
never allowed himself to consider the thought of taking
public office. He has, nevertheless, always been closely
interested in local affairs, and has been ready to lend
his support to any worthy local project. Religiously, the
Ballays are Roman Catholics ; that is to say, the French
family was of the Roman Catholic faith, although
Ernest J. Bailey has not followed in that church. In
fraternal affiliations, he has been faithful and is identi-
fied particularly with the Masonic order. He has risen
to the thirty-second degree in the order, and is a mem-
ber of the following: Blue Lodge of Brocton; the
Chapter, Council, and Commandery, of Dunkirk; the
Buffalo Shrine; and the Consistory of Jamestown, also
<A Buffalo.

On Sept. \2., I'/X), Ivrnest John Bailey married Ruth



BIOGRAPHICAL



339



Hall Pettit, grand-niece of Ahira Hall, whose genealogy
will be found elsewhere in this historical work. To Mr.
and Mrs. Bailey have been born three children : Kath-
leen Elizabeth, now in high school ; Angeline Sarah,
twin sister of the first-named, and also a high school
student; Florence Edith, who also attends the local
school.

The business success of Ernest John Bailey has been
notable, especially so, bearing in mind that it has come
to him entirely by his own efforts, and he has a definite
place among the worthy Chautauqua county people of
his generation.



HENRY RAPPOLE — Nearly nine years have
elapsed since Henry Rappole, farmer, veteran soldier,
and public official, passed to his reward, but his memory
is green and will forever live in the history of his native
county and adopted city, for he served them both in
important position. The Rappoles came to Chautauqua
from Eastern New York, the first of the name, Adam
Rappole, coming to the town of Ellery, when vir-
gin timber covered most of the fertile farms of the
town. Adam Rappole was the father of Henry Rap-
pole, to whose memory this review of a worthy life is
dedicated.

Adam Rappole, born in New York State, came to
Chautauqua county after the close of the War of 1812,
and settled on a 100 acre tract of timber land in the
town of Ellery, his tract a part of the original Holland
Land Purchase. Adam Rappole built a house from the
logs felled on his own property, and in coiirse of time
the forest fled before his axe, and cultivated fields fol-
lowed, and there he lived a general farmer and stock
raiser until his death in i860, at the age of sixty-six
years. He is buried in Bemus Point Cemetery. He mar-
ried Elizabeth Rice, and they were the parents of eight
children : Nancy, married Aaron Klock, and died in
the State of Illinois ; John, died at the old homestead in
Ellery ; George, died in the State of Wisconsin ; Mary,
married William Rooker, of Ellery; Electa, married
Orsenne Richards ; Frank, died in Iowa ; Henry, of fur-
ther mention ; and a child who died in infancy. Mrs. Rap-
pole, who was a member of the Presbyterian church,
died at the farm in Ellery, and is buried with her hus-
band in Bemus Point Cemetery.

Henry Rappole, youngest son of Adam and Elizabeth
(Rice/ Rappole, was born at the homestead in the town
of Ellery, Chautauqua county, N. Y., Oct. 27, 1833, died
in the city of Jamestown, Jan. 25, 191 1. He attended
the county district schools of Ellery and spent his years
of minority on the farm as his father's assistant. After
attaining legal age he engaged in lumbering, rafting logs
down the rivers to mills below. Later he bought seventy
acres in Ellery township, which he improved and later
added to until he 112 acres, which he conducted along
the lines of general farming, also maintaining a dairy
department and raising stock. The even current of his
life was broken in 1862 by the War between the States,
1861-1865, and on Sept. 12, 1862, he enlisted in the
Seventh Company, First Battalion, New York Sharp-
thooters, under Captain Arnold. Mr. Rappole was ap-
pointed corporal, then sergeant, but at the battle of the
Wilderness his misfortunes began, a shot so disabling his
left hand and arm that amputation was necessary. He



spent several weeks in the hospital, then was honorably
discharged and mustered out of the United States service.

With his empty sleeve, Mr. Rappole returned home,
and until 1879 engaged in farming. In that year he was
elected superintendent of the county poor for Chautauqua
county, an office he held for six years through five suc-
cessive annual reelections. In 1882 he sold his farm in
Ellery, and henceforth made Jamestown his home. He
was a member of the Jamestown police force for several
years, then was elected city treasurer, Oscar Price at
that time being mayor. He held the office of treasurer
three years, and then retired to private life, leaving a
record of efficiency and devotion to duty highly credita-
ble. Prior to coming to Jamestown he had served the
town of Ellery as assessor and collector of taxes, and in
every position held he gave to the duties involved the
most careful attention and to the fullest extent of his
ability served his constituency. He held exalted ideas of
citizenship, and in all things measured up to the full
standard of a man. He was a member of James M.
Brown Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of James-
town ; member of the Union Veteran Legion ; and in
religious faith connected with the Methodist Episcopal
church. He is buried in Lakeview Cemetery, Jamestown.

Henry Rappole married, in Mayville, N. Y., July 5,
185s, Celina Carpenter, born in Pittstown, Rensselaer
county, N. Y., died in Jamestown, April 18, 1920, at
the age of eighty-two years, ten months and twelve days,
daughter of Stephen R. and Prudence (Brownell) Car-
penter, her parents old settlers of the town of Ellery.
On July 5, 1905, Mr. and Mrs. Rappole celebrated the
golden anniversary of their wedding day, and six years
longer they trod life's pathway together ere their paths
separated, and the wife was left to walk alone. Mrs.
Rappole was one of the oldest residents of the city, a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and the
Woman's Relief Corps. She was a woman of strong
Christian principle, and in the home which Mr. and Mrs.
Rappole erected and maintained so long, love and happi-
Tiess reigned. Their children were : Frances E., who
died in childhood ; and Nora R., married Frederick L.
Bush, of Jamestown, representative of the Fleischmann
Compressed Yeast Company; they have a daughter,
Frances E., wife of William G. Ritzer, of Jamestown,
and they have a daughter, Eleanora Jane Ritzer.

Said the Jamestown "Evening Journal" editorially,
Jan. 25, 191 1 :

In the death of Henry Rappole another worthy vet-
eran of the Civil War has gone to his reward. Like
thousands of other gallant boys of fifty years ago,
Henry Rappole responded to the call of his country
for men to preserve the Union and defend the honor of
the Stars and Stripes. After ser\'ing faithfully through
the war and leaving a good arm on a Southern battle-
field, he returned to home and friends in Old Chau-
tauqua, where he had lived an honorable life, taken
his part in the affairs of the day. faithfully performing
the part assigned to him as citizen and public official.
.\s superintendent of the poor of Chautauqua county,
as a member of the local police force, as treasurer of
hl.s city for a number of years, Mr. Rappole served his
fellow-citizens honestly and capably, leaving as a
heritage to his wife and daughter an untarnished
name, and to his comrade-in-arms the memory of a
courageous soldier, and a courteous and genial com-
panion.



DELOS J. EIGENBROADT— At the end of a

long and useful life covering a period of seventy-two
years, spent entirely in the village of Ellington, Delos



340



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



T. Eigenbroadt passed away, leaving behind him the rec-
ord of a well spent lite distinguished by industry and
integrity.

Prior to the Revolution Peter Eigenbroadt came to
this country, probably from Germany, and settled at
Palatine Bridge in the Mohawk Valley. His son, George
Eigenbroadt, a soldier of the Revolution, was the father
of Daniel Eigenbroadt and grandfather of Delos J.
Eigenbroadt, to whose memory this review is dedicated.

Daniel Eigenbroadt was born in iSio, and died in 1899.
He moved from the Mohawk \'aUey to Chautauqua
count\- in 1832, settled in the village of Ellington and
there started a blacksmith shop. He followed his trade
for several years, then added a general store business
to his activities, being assisted by his sons. Mr. Eigen-
broadt married (first) Phoebe Helmick, born in 1811,
died in 1S38. He married (second) Lovina Todd, born
.•\pril 14, iSio, died March i, 1S95, a member of the
Bela Todd familv of Cassadaga, Chautauqua county,
X. Y.

Delos J. Eigenbroadt, son of Daniel and Lovina
(Todd) Eigenbroadt, was born at the homestead in
Ellington, Chautauqua county, N. Y., June 22, 1841, and
died at his home adjoining his store, Dec. 11, 1913. He
attended the village public school and Ellington Academy,
but his education came largely through reading and con-
tact with the business world. In boyhood he worked in
his father's blacksmith shop and general store, the latter
business, however, making a stronger appeal to him he
eventually assumed the responsibility of the store man-
agement. Upon the death of Daniel Eigenbroadt, the
eldest son, Lafayette, took over the blacksmith shop and
Delos J. became owner of the store. He had entered the
business when a youth of si.xteen ; he "marked his first
bill of goods," and at the time of his death in his seventy-
second year was regarded as one of the successful mer-
chants of Chautauqua county. He greatly developed the
business and became both widely and favorably known
as a man of enterprise and integrity. He built a brick
block with dwelling attached ne.xt door to the homestead.
Mr. Eigenbroadt was a Democrat in politics, but was
never actively identified with political life, regarding the
successful conduct of his private business as calling for
his entire attention. Yet he did not live selfishly and
was freely consulted by his neighbors on matters of
grave importance. He continued in business until the
last, and closed his useful life honored and respected by
all who knew him; his acquaintance was a very wide
one.

Mr. Eigenbroadt marrie<I (first) March 3, 1870, Au-
gusta H. Stockwell, who died in 1886, leaving an adopted
daughter. Belle Todd Sherman, who married Edwin D.
Lines, of Jamestown. Mr. and Mrs. Lines are the par-
ents of three children : Jessie Augusta, Stephen V. R.,
and Janet. Mr. Eigenbroadt married (second) Jan. i,
1</X), Ciora Goulding, of Ellington, who survives him,
daughter of Burr and Sarah (Morse) Goulding. She
has no children, but since being left a widow has adopted
a daughter, Eleanor Colvin, born Noveinbcr 9, 1912. Mrs.
Eigenbroadt successfully conducted the business left to
her management until 1916, when she disposed of it to
the George B. Waith Company. She has proved herself
a woman of K'><><\ business ability, and with it has a
public-spirited interest in her village. During the World
War i»eriod she was very active in support of the lib-



erty loan and other "drives," as town chairman of the
Fourth and Victory Loans, contributing a great deal
toward their success. She is widely known and highly
respected.



ABRAHAM WILSON DODS, M. D.— Fredonia
has no citizen whom she respects more highly than the
man whose name we have just written. Not only is Dr.
Dods eminent in his profession, but its engrossing cares
and widespread interests have never rendered him un-
mindful of the claims of his home community.

Abraham Wilson Dods was born Jan. 27, 1854, in
Dingwall, Scotland, a son of Thomas Palliser and Kath-
arine (Wilson) Dods, the former a farmer and land
agent. When Abraham Wilson Dods was one and a half
years old the family moved to Hexham, Northumberland,
England, where the boy attended district school from
four to eight years; private grammar school until the
age of twelve; private boarding school in Sunderland
until si-xteen. He was then apprenticed to a farmer for
two years, and at the end of that time, in 1872, emi-
grated to the United States, settling in West Charlton,
Saratoga county, N. Y. After working for one year as
a farmer, Mr. Dods entered Fredonia Normal School,
graduating in 1875, in the classical course, and then spent
one year at Syracuse University, following this with
another year at the New York Homoeopathic Medical
College, New York City. He then matriculated in the
Chicago Homoeopathic Medical College, graduating in
1878 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. During his
last year he served as interne in Hahnemann Hospital.
It is eminently worthy of note that such was Dr. Dods'
desire for a medical education that, though a young man
with his way to make in a new country, he did not hesi-
tate to incur, in order to attain his ambition, an amount
of debt which would have appalled a man of less indomi-
table will power. In 1878 Dr. Dods began practice at
Silver Creek, Chautauqua county, remaining until 1884,
when he went to Scotland and took a post-graduate
course in surgery at Edinburgh University. In 1885 he
established himself at Fredonia, where he has continu-
ously practiced ever since, but now limits his work ex-
clusively to surgery, in which he has been extremely suc-
cessful, earning a most enviable reputation. He is sur-
geon at Brooks Memorial Hospital, Dunkirk, N. Y., and
holds the same position with the New York Central
Railroad Company.

Politically Dr. Dods is an inependent Republican.
During the World War he served the Home Defense
Reserve Corps as medical examiner for Dunkirk-Fre-
donia Draft Board, District No. i. He is a member of
the American Medical Society, the American Institute
of Homceopathy, the New York and New England Asso-
ciation of Railway Surgeons, the New York State Medi-
cal As.sociation, the New York State Homoeopathic Asso-
ciation, the Homoeopathic Association of Western New
York, the Chautauqua Coimty Medical Association, the
I'Vedonia and Dunkirk Medical Association, and the
Volunteer Medical Service Corps. He affiliates with
Forest Lodge, No. l6fj. Free and Accepted Masons, of
Fredonia, and Westfield Chapter, No. 239.

Dr. Dods married (first) Dec. 12, 1878, Aura, daugh-
ter of John N. and Nancy (Le Barr) Porter, of Broc-
ton, N. Y., and they became the parents of three chil-
dren : I. John I'alliscr, attended Fredonia public and




U0f/^^ /Jtti^.



BIOGRAPHICAL



341



high schools, and then spent two years at Phillips Acad-
emy, Andover; in 1908 received from Cornell University
the degree of Mechanical Engineer, having worked his
way through the institution; was a member of the 'Var-
sity Crew, 1905-06; has been with Blue Book (automo-
bile) since 190S; in now western manager in Chicago;
married Annette Bruce, of Boston, Mass., and they have
two children, John and Annette. 2. Katharine Wilson,
educated in Fredonia grammar and high schools ; mar-
ried R. I. Mulholland, of Dunkirk; they have two chil-
dren, Marcia and Katharine. 3. Marcus, educated in
Fredonia grammar and high schools, Fredonia Normal
School, and the Peddie Institute; died in 1917, at the
age of twenty-seven. Mrs. Dods passed away in 1909.
Dr. Dods married (second) September 18, 1911, Helen T.
Jones, of Fredonia.

In the character of Dr. Dods are combined the best
traits of the Scotsman with many of the distinctive
qualities of the American, acquired in the course of an
almost lifelong residence in the New World. When
Scotland sent Abraham Wilson Dods to the United
States she gave us the material for an eminent surgeon
and a public-spirited citizen, true alike to the land of his
birth and the country of his adoption. Would that old
Caledonia might send us many more of the same type.



MARTIN PRENDERGAST WHALLON— The

characters of a successful farmer and a faithful public
official are combined in Mr. Whallon, of Mayville, who
now holds the office of supervisor. This good citizen
takes a lively interest in all that concerns the welfare
of his community, and is active in its social and fra-
ternal circles.

Martin P. Whallon was born Jan. 17, 1870, in May-
ville, and is a son of William Murray and Martha (Pren-
dergast) Whallon, both members of families long resi-
dent in Chautauqua county and township. The education
of Martin P. Whallon was received in the public schools
of his native town which he attended until 1887, when he
went to Wisconsin and entered Racine College, where he
took the regular course, but did not graduate, and then
for a time studied, under private tuition, the principles
of commercial law and business. In 1889 Mr. Whallon
returned to Mayville, where for five years he conducted a
wholesale harness establishment. At the end of that time
he decided to devote his entire time and attention to
agricultural pursuits, being the owner of two farms,
one of which he inherited from his father's family and
the other from his mother's. Mr. Whallon is perhaps
the only man in Chautauqua county who derives his land,
originally, from the Holland Land Company. A de-
tailed history of this organization may be found on
another page of this work. In the cultivation of his
farms, which he accomplished by the most enlightened
methods, Mr. Whallon was eminently successful and to
their management he still pays constant attention. The
deeds for the land are now in his possession. Politically
Mr. Whallon is a Republican, and in 1913 was elected
supervisor of his township. So satisfactory was the
manner in which he performed his duties that he is still
retained in the office, his present term expiring in 1921.
He affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church of
Mayville.

Mr. Whallon married, Nov. 20, 1894, on the grounds of



the Chautauqua Institution, Mary G., daughter of C. G.
and Alice (Porter) Herrick, and they are the parents
of one son, William, born July 6, 1897, who was edu-
cated in the public schools and high school of Mayville,
and in the late war enlisted in the army. He is now the
assistant of his father in the management of the farms.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Whallon is one of the most
attractive in Mayville. During his school days Mr.
Whallon was quite an athlete and he still takes a great
interest in fishing, hunting, baseball and all outdoor
sports.

Martin P. Whallon is one of the men who count in
his community, not only because he is a leading farmer
and the incumbent of a public office, but mainly because
in both these capacities he has sought to develop the best
interests of his township and to minister to the truest
welfare of his friends and neighbors.



SIMEON WILLIS PARKS, son of Simeon and
Elizabeth (Curtiss) Parks, was born in Wells, Vt., Sept.
18, 1810, and died in Jamestown, Aug. 21, 1883. At the
age of fourteen years, he came to LeRoy, N. Y,, where
for six years he made his home with his brother, Elisha
Parks. In 1830, a youth of twenty years, he moved to
Mina, Chautauqua county, where he became a clerk in
the mercantile establishment of J. R. & S. B. Keeler;
he remained in the employ of this firm until 1834, when,
having been licensed to preach, he resigned his position
and for four years traveled a circuit as a minister of the
Methodist Episcopal church. At the expiration of this
time, his health, never robust, became seriously impaired,
and he was forced very reluctantly to relinquish his office.
In 1838 Mr. Parks located in Jamestown, where the re-
mainder of his life was spent. From November of that
year until 1851, he was associated with Zalmon G. Keeler
m general merchandise business. He continued dealings
in general merchandise, clothing and furniture, part of
the time with partners and part of the time independently
until 187S, when he retired from active business life. His
interest in public affairs was broad and sympathetic. In
1855 he was supervisor of the town of Ellicott. He was
greatly interested in educational work, and for many
years served as town school commissioner, and later ren-
dered valuable assistance in the organization of the pub-
lic schools, then known as the Jamestown Union School
and Collegiate Institute, and was frequently referred to
as the "father of the Union School system" in James-
town. He was a member of the Board of Education
from the organization of the school until 1878, and for
several terms was president of the board. Mr. Parks
was a man of culture, keen and progressive, and in many
ways was in advance of the thought of his time. He
devoted both his time and his talents to the great causes
of temperance and anti-slavery, and was often heard
upon the lecture platform in support of his views.

On June 26, 1838, Mr. Parks was united in marriage
to Anna Maria Carter, of Randolph, N. Y., who died
Jan. 20, 1S89. They were the parents of five children:
I. Mary Elizabeth, married Robert T. Hazzard (de-
ceased) and resides at Lakewood. N. Y. 2. Charles Ed-
win, a resident of Jamestown, N. Y. 3. Annette Maria,
married C. Perry Harris (deceased) ; her death occurred
at Jamestown, Nov. 24, 1919. 4. Willis Simeon, died
May 6, 1881. 5. Ella Augusta, lives at the family home
in Jamestown.



3-P



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



SHERMAN B. VANDERVOORT, president of
the \'andervoort Supply Company, and Service Coal and
Coke Company, wholesale coal, of Jamestown, N. Y.,
which companies are leading ones in the line of building
supplies aiid coal, has lived in Jamestown practical!}'
all his life, being only a year old when his parents mo\ed
to that city. He was born in Buftalo, N. Y., Aug. 25,
iSSi, the son of Charles R. and Sarah A. Vandervoort.
Lharles R. Vandervoort brought his family to James-
town in 1SS2, and has since been a constant resident much
respected and responsible. He has been identified with
the Broadhead Worsted Mills for many years.

Sherman B. \'andervoort received his academic educa-
tion in Jamestown schools, attending the grammar school
for the elementarj- grades, and eventually graduating
from the high school. He had decided to take up a pro-
lessional life, and as his natural inclination was to engi-
neering he took the technical course at the Allegany Col-
lege, eventually becoming a civil engineer. In 1907, as
elsewhere recorded in this historical work, he formed
business partnership with ^^'alter Griggs, of Jamestown,
and as the Hollow Stone Company the partners began to
manufacture cement blocks. Mr. Vandervoort acquired
the interest of Mr. Griggs in the business and incor-
porated it under the name of the Vandervoort Supply
Company, an account of which follows. In 1916 was
formed the Service Coal and Coke Company, distributors
of anthracite and bituminous coal, of which Mr. Vander-
voort is sole owner ; the business is strictly wholesale ;
the enterprise has been verj' successful, and at the pres-
ent time (1920) is handling a large tonnage.

Mr. \'andervoort is an excellent business man, and
has many sincere friends in Jamestown. He is always
ready to assist, personally or financially, in any public
project having for its object the betterment of conditions
within the citj-, or the ultimate advancement of the citj-.
He belongs to the Jamestown Board of Commerce, and
the Jamestown Builders' Exchange, of which organiza-
tion he is secretar\-. Socially, he is a member of the
Jamestown Club, and of the Bradford Club, at Brad-
ford, Pa. He is an ardent sportsman, and interested in
the conservation of game, and as such is a member of a
sportsman's organization. Fraternally, Mr. Vandervoort
is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks ; and religiously, he is an Episcopalian.



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 101)