John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 70 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 70 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


field High School. After leaving school, he assisted his
father in the many duties of the farm management, and
throughout his life has held constant connection with
farming; as a tnnlter of fact, that connection was nec-
essary as his agricultural holdings have always been
so extensive. His father owned fxx) acres at one time,
and James T, Barnes still owns 225 acres of valuable



BIOGRAPHICAL



571



land. Still, he has not confined himself wholly to farming ;
in fact, he has been a man of important commercial
business affairs. For many years he was a retail coal mer-
chant, and had probably the largest coal business center-
ing at Prospect Station. And as a fruit buyer he has
been widely known throughout the county, having been
at one time one of the largest buyers of apples in the
county. Upon his farm he grows large quantities of
grapes each year, having forty acres in vineyards, and
in addition he has for many years been an extensive
buyer of grapes, shipping in the season as many as
twenty carloads weekly. His farm of 225 acres includes
probably the richest section of the ancestral property,
and it has been greatly improved by Mr. Barnes. He
remodeled the house and the barns, built two large silos,
and made other substantial improvements, which add to
the beauty and utility of the property. Its location,
standing as it does about 300 feet above the level of Lake
Erie, is a good one, and it well merits its name. Sunset
View Farm, for from it a beautiful sunset view is
obtained, also a fine view of Lake Erie, five miles to
the westward, and on clear days the Canadian shore
can be discerned. Mr. Barnes has a fine herd of cattle,
many horses, and in most seasons keeps about 200 sheep,
so that it will be readily understood that his farming
operations are by no means inconsequential. Of late
years he has not been so active as formerly, advancing
years having had some influence in deciding the matter
of physical activities, and also the material wealth he
has accumulated has had some influence. He has pros-
pered well in his decades of trading and farming, and
has no longer any need to take business affairs so
strenuously.

Religiously, the Barnes family has been affiliated
with the Methodist Episcopal church ; fraternally, Mr.
Barnes is a Mason, member of the Westfield Blue Lodge,
and he is and has been for many years a member of
the Grange, Westfield Chapter. Politically, he is a Re-
pubHcan, and has been a factor of influence in many
national campaigns in his own district. He has never,
however, sought political office. When there was a
postoffice at Prospect Station, he and his father for
thirty years held the office, but it was more because of
the old family associations with that locality and not the
stipend that influenced James T. Barnes in holding it as
long as it remained in operation. In school affairs he
has undertaken some responsibility, having been truustee
and collector. He is president of the Prospect Tire and
Rubber Company, the name being taken from this lo-
cality with the expectation of building a factory here.
It is located at No. 73s Main street, Buffalo, N. Y. He
was also president of the Lake Erie Wine Cellar. He is
a trustee of the Westfield and Portland Cemetery, the
beautiful condition in which it is maintained reflecting
creditably upon those who are responsible for its up-
keep.

On March 25, 1874, Mr. Barnes married Evalyn Web-
ster, a daughter of Lemuel and Lydia Webster, born in
the town of Westfield, April 30, 1853. Zoe Young, a
cousin of Mr. Barnes, has been a member of the family
for the past twenty-five years, and expects to remain as
such. Her mother. Kate Bigelow Young, was a de-
scendent of Thomas and Terusha Bigelow.

By reason of his ancestry, and also of his own activ-



ities, James Thomas Barnes has come prominently into
the class of worth-while sons of Chautauqua county, the
recording of whose doings makes such a work as this
a creditable one.



SAMUEL CHARLES CRANDALL— For more than
fifty years a prominent business man, esteemed and held
in the confidence of his townspeople, filling important
trusts both in public and private life, the late Samuel
Charles Crandall, of Westfield, was amongst the fore-
most citizens of Chautauqua county.

He was a son of William and Sylvia (Bandall) Cran-
dall, old and highly respected residents of Westfield,
was born here, March 18, 1853. Samuel C. Crandall
received a good education in the public schools of his
native town and the old Westfield Academy, afterwards
setting out upon the business career which he had been
so long identified with. He engaged in the basket manu-
facturing business, and in addition to this was the
leading undertaker in this section of the county. He
became a prosperous business man, and was well iden-
tified with various interests all through his long career,
and was regarded as one of the leading men of his town.
He was entrusted with a number of private charges and
was executor of the S. Fred Nixon estate, the late
speaker of the New York State Legislature. In mat-
ters of education, he was foremost in advancing and
advocating the need of improvements in educational
institutions, and he was on the board of directors of
the State Normal School in Fredonia up to the time of
his death. In later life he was the manager of the
Westfield Telephone Company, and for a number of
years a director of the Natinal Bank of Westfield. Dur-
ing the late World War, he was exceedingly active in
the various movements and was a member of the local
board under the Federal Selective Service Law, and in
this cause he worked incessantly, which fact was largely
responsible for the impairment of his health, and his
death, which occurred Dec. 24, 1918, was a sad loss to
his many relatives, friends and the community. In mat-
ters of politics, he was a leading Republican, and in re-
ligious belief a Presbyterian. He was very active in
church circles and was a trustee of the church of that
denomination in Westfield.

Mr. Crandall married Eugenia M. Johnston, daughter
of James ?nd Mary Johnston, of Westfield. To Mr.
and Mrs. Crandall the following children were born :
Herbert James and William Bell, both of further men-
tion.

At the time of the death of Samuel C. Crandall the
local press united with his personal friends in paying a
remarkable tribute to his memory. The ^\'estfieId "Re-
publican," in the course of a long obituary article, had
this to say concerning hira :

Jtr. Crandall combined with hi."! special gifts for
bii.sines'^ a hu-nor which to those who knew him best
was most cleli^ntful. He ■u-a.s a erood s-tory teller. He
was penial and approachable and had many friends
who valued hisrhly his opinions and sougrht his advice
in both personal and business affairs. He was care-
ful, prudent and conservative in counsel, as -well as
in his personal habits of life and business, and was
one of the sterling- men of rugged character who help
to make up the solid backbone of any community.

Herbert James Crandall was born in Westfield. Oct.
18, 1890. He was educated in the public and high



5/2



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



schools of W'estrield and Peekskill Military Academy,
Peekskili, X. V. Since leaving school, he has been in
tlie automobile business in Silver Creek, N, Y., as agent
for the Buick Motor Company. He is a member of
various clubs and fraternal orders. In politics he is a
Republican, and in religion a Presbyterian. He mar-
ried, in Buffalo, X. Y.. Tune 29. 1915, Marguerite Eldora
Xe Mover, daughter of Henry W, and Mary Jane Xe
Moyer,

William Bell Crandall was born in Westtield. Sept,
20, 1S02, He attended as a lad the public and high
schools of Wesiheld. He then matriculated in the Val-
paraiso University in Indiana, and was graduated from
that institution, where he took a business course, in
Islli. Upon completing his studies, Mr, Crandall pur-
chased the hardware business of H. W. Gibbs & Com-
pany and formed a partnership with C, D, Bell, with
whom he conducted this business very successfully for
about si.x years. When the United States entered the
great World War, Mr. Crandall at once gave up his
business to do his part in the effort of his country and
enlisted, May 6, 1918. in the United States Army, being
sent to Camp Wheeler, Georgia, to take part in convoy
work. He was connected with the io6th, the supply
train of the 31st Division, and was sent with that body
to France, landing in Brest in September, 1918. From
there he went to Bordeaux, the supply base of the
United States .\rmy, and became a member of the out-
fit attached to the Motor Transfer Corps which carried
supplies to the front. He was promoted to the rank of
corporal. On account of his father's death he was at-
tached to a casual company and reached the United
States two months earlier than his company, being hon-
orably discharged at Camp Mills, Long Island, May 12,
IQIO. Upon returning to Westlield, Mr. Crandall re-
sumed his father's undertaking business in partnership
with Mr. Guy Carpenter, which they conduct to the
present time. In politics, Mr. Crandall is a Republican,
and in religion a Presbvterian.



S. RAY FAIRBANKS— Among the attorneys of
Frcdonia, X, Y., may be mentioned S. Ray Fairbanks,
who occupies a prominent place in the community. Mr.
Fairbanks was born in Cherry Creek township, Chau-
tauqua county, X', Y.. on his father's farm, Feb. 7, 1876,
and is a son of Monroe and Ellen F. (James) Fairbanks.
The elder Mr. Fairbanks is a farmer and is still con-
ducting his own farm, despite his seventy odd years.
He is one of the sturdy old "gentlemen of the old
school," and is well known In his vicinity.

While still a child, S. Ray Fairbanks accompanied
his parents to the village of Cherry Creek, and it was in
this place that he received a portion of his elementary
education. The family did not remain here very long,
however, but returned to the farm, and S. Ray attended
the district schools, later entering the Ellington High
School, where he was prepared for college, and gradu-
ated from this institution in 1895. He then taught in
th': di-trict school for a short period of time. In the
fall of li"/>. he ma'ricuhited in Valparaiso University
in Valparaiso, Ind., taking a course in law, afterwards
amending the Chicago Law Schofil, where he obtained
thi degrr-e of LL. B. in the spring of iH'jH. During the
Spanish-American War, he and four meml^rs of his



class answered the first call of President McKinley for
volunteers, and enlisted in the First Illinois Cavalry, in
which regiment he remained during the period of the
war. Fie received his honorable discharge from the
army in October, 1S9S. Mr. Fairbanks then returned to
Cherry Creek, Chautauqua county, N, Y., and imme-
diately discovered that there was very little oppor-
tunity for a young lawyer to make any headway in this
town, so he therefore took the civil service examination
in Januar}% 1S99, and entered the government employ
in connection with the postoffice district in Fredonia.
After five years in this service, he began a clerkship in
the law office of Sterns & Thrasher, prominent attor-
neys of Fredonia, and in 1906 he was admitted to prac-
tice in the courts of the State of Xew York. For a
short time he was connected with the firm of Warner,
Farnham & Fairbanks, with offices in Dunkirk and Fre-
donia, which connection was severed in 1908, since which
time he has been practicing his profession independently.
Mr. Fairbanks is very prominent in the social and club
life of Fredonia, and is a member of the Bar Associa-
tion of Northern Chautauqua, the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows of Cherry Creek, the Sons of Veterans,
the United Spanish War Veterans, the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, of Dunkirk, and the United
States Letter Carriers' Association. In politics, Mr.
Fairbanks is a Republican, and has served eight years
as justice of the peace. For six years Mr. Fairbaks was
a member of the Republican county committee of Chau-
tauqua county.

Mr. Fairbanks was united in marriage in Fredonia,
Sept. I, 1900, with Sara E. Pringle, a daughter of
Charles and Alice Pringle, old and highly respected
residents of Fredonia, Two children have been born
of this union, Dorothy M, and Stuart.



CHARLES STILLMAN CLELAND, M. D.—

.■\mong the eminent physicians of Chautauqua county,
Dr. Charles S. Cleland, of Sinclairville, occupies a lead-
ing position. He descends from an early Chautauqua
family, John Cleland, Jr„ coming in March, 1810, and
Nathan and Oliver Cleland in March, iSii, their brother
Samuel and father, John Cleland, Sr„ and family com-
ing in the fall of the same year and finding a home in
the now town of Charlotte, The marriage of one of
the family, Moses Cleland, in the fall of 1811, to Sally
.■\nderson, by Rev, John Spencer, was the first marriage
ceremony performed in the town. Dr. Cleland descends
through Nathan, son of John and Thankful (Eaton)
Cleland, and grandson of James Cleland, the founder
of the family, a Scotchman. Dr. Cleland is the fifth
generation of his family in America, and of the fourth
in Chautauqua county. Since 1S82 Dr. Cleland has been
engaged in medical practice, and since 1896 in Sinclair-
ville. He has won the true regard of his brethren of the
profession, and in the estimation of the public he is the
learned and skillful physician and esteemed citizen.

( ( ) James (2) Cleland, the founder of his family in
.America, was the son of James (i) Cleland, a man of
wealth and education, who married Miss Bruce, and at
the time of the birth of his son, James (2), was living
in Kdinliurgh, Scotland. James (2) Cleland left his
n;itivr land in 1750 and came to New England, settling
in I'.oston, where he later married Thankful Wilder.



BIOGRAPHICAL



573



They were the parents of seven children : Samuel,
Thomas, James, a soldier of the Revolution ; John, of
further mention ; Helen, Molly, and Hannah.

(H) John Cleland. son of James (2) and Thankful
(Wilder) Cleland. was born in Eastern Massachusetts,
Feb. 16, 1758, and settled in the town of Plainfield, in
his native State. When a young man of twenty he en-
tered the Revolutionary struggle on the side of the
colonies, and from 1778 to 1780 he was in the army,
serving in the company commanded by Captain Thomas,
and in the regiment led by Colonel Milk. Part of this
time he was General Putnam's personal orderly, and
always in active service. In 1807, with his wife and
eight children, he came to New York State, settling in
Otsego county, there remaining until the spring of 181 1,
when two of the sons, attracted by the recent opening
up of Chautauqua county in Western New York, made
the journey and settled in Charlotte, then the town of
Gerry. Their reports being favorable, John Cleland,
with the remaining members of the family, made the
journey in the fall of 181 1. John Cleland bought land
in township 4. range 11, in 1811, but the others settled
on lot 54. section 12, east of Charlotte Center, the tract
containing 330 acres, which was later largely brought
under cultivation. John Cleland, the father, died at the
farm, Feb. 16, 1827, aged sixtj'-nine years. His widow.
Thankful, survived him until July 19, 1844, when she
was laid by his side in Charlotte Center Cemetery, her
age at death, eighty-seven years.

John Cleland married, in East Windsor, Conn.. April
27, 1780, Thankful Eaton, of an old Connecticut family,
born April 12, 1757. Descendants of John Eaton, who
came to New England in the ship "Elizabeth Ann,"
April 27, 1635, settled in Watertown, Mass., later in
Connecticut, and still later in New York State. Thank-
ful Eaton, it is believed, was one of the thirteen chil-
dren of Nathaniel and Esther (Parry) Eaton, her father
a son of Thomas Eaton, son of John (2) Eaton, son
of John (i) Eaton, the founder. John and Thankful
(Eaton) Cleland were the parents of: Beriah, born
Nov. 15, 1781 ; Edna, born June 28, 1782; Samuel, born
Sept. I, 1784, died in infancy; Samuel (2), born May
14, 1788; Thankful, born April 22, 1790; John and
James (2) (twins), born Feb. 19. 1792; Oliver, born
Oct. 25, 1793; Nathan, bom March 5, 1795; Martin,
born April 10. 1797. The four Cleland brothers, Samuel,
John, Oliver, and Nathan, lived to a great age, notwith-
standing their severe pioneer experiences. In the
"Centennial History of Chautauqua County," published
in 1904, was a group engraving of the four brothers
showing them all as old men.

(Ill) Nathan Cleland, son of John and Thankful
(Eaton) Cleland, was born in Plainfield. Hampshire
county. Mass., Sept. 10. 1795, and died at his farm in
the town of Charlotte, Chautauqua county, N. Y., Sept.
10, 1887. having attained the great age of ninety-two
years. He was twelve years of age when taken by
his parents to New York State. When sixteen years of
age, in the spring of 1811, he was sent with his brother
Oliver to investigate Chautauqua lands and their report
being favorable, the entire family made the journey,
and a tract of 330 acres east of Charlotte Center be-
came the homestead farm. There Nathan and his
brothers and sisters grew to years of maturity, but each



founded homes of their own, when taking a wife, Na-
than purchasing a farm in the town of Stockton, but
later moving again to the town of Charlotte, where his
long and useful life ended in 1887. He was a man of
great energy, strength and perseverance, a true type of
the hardy pioneer who caused the forest to retreat before
the fields, and the wild things of the forest to acknowl-
edge their master and pass out of existence. Gleaming
rails carry the products of Chautauqua to distant mar-
kets, and thelife of the descendants of the Clelands
find their lines cast in pleasant places, this due to the
old pioneers, whose courage and self-sacrifice knew no
bounds.

Nathan Cleland married, Nov. g, 1820. Electa Batchel-
dor, born April 12, 1797, died Aug. 6, 1869, daughter of
Elijah and Rebecca (Dewitt) Batcheldor. Mr. and Mrs,
Cleland were the parents of eight children : Elvina D.,
born Sept. 7. 1821, married July 6, 1S48, Mr. Gorman;
Milo, born July 16, 1824, married, Nov. 10, 1871, Mar-
garet Thompson ; Thankful, born March 8, 1829, mar-
ried, July 21, 1865, John Gorman; Electa R., born June
2, 1831, married, Dec. 31, 1854, Samuel B. Irw^in; Na-
than M., of further mention ; Jane N. and John E.
(twins), born June 12, 1836; and Dolly Ann, born May
26, 1839. died young.

(IV) Nathan M. Cleland, son of Nathan and Electa
(Batcheldor) Cleland, was born at the home farm in
the town of Stockton, Oct. 20, 1833, and died at his
home in the town of Charlotte, Dec. 19. 1913. He was
educated in the district school, and from youth was a
farm worker. He was his father's able assistant in
farm management until his father's passing in 1887,
then became managing owner. His farm was his home
and sole business interest from youth until old age. and
for twenty-six years he was its sole managing head,
although he had many years prior to the death of Na-
than Cleland borne the entire responsibility. After
coming into ownership he made many improvements
and erected the present modern farm residence. The
farm of 208 acres is well improved and a most desirable
property. In politics Mr. Cleland was a Republican and
active in town afifairs, serving as justice of the peace,
road commissioner and coroner. In religious faith he
was a Baptist.

Nathan M. Cleland married, in the town of Gerry,
May 16, 1S61. Catherine M. Hooper, daughter of Eze-
kiel and Betsey (Tompkins) Hooper, and a grandniece
of Governor Tompkins of New York. Mr. and Mrs.
Cleland were the parents of three children : Charles
Stillman. of further mention ; Owen M.. whose sketch
follows ; Grace, wife of Charles Sears, and a resident
of SinclairviJle, Chautauqua county.

(Y) Charles Stillman Cleland. eldest son of Nathan
M. and Catherine M. (Hooper) Cleland. was born at
the home farm in the town of Charlotte. Chautauqua
county. New York, July 3. 1862. After completing pub-
lic school courses of study, finishing in the Sin-
clairville High School, he taught school for four years
in Charlotte public schools and for a time in Tidioute,
Warren county, Pa., During those years he resided at
the home farm and read medicine with Dr. A. A. Ste-
vens. He next entered the College of Physicians and
Surgeons at Baltimore, but a year later he withdrew and
finished his medical study at the medical department of



574



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



the University of Baltimore, whence he was graduated
yi. D.. class of 1SS7.

With his newly acquired honors, Dr. Cleland began
practice in South Dayton, Cattaraugus county, N. Y.,
and there remained two years, gaining needed experi-
ence and confidence. From South Dayton he moved
in iSSo to Collins. Erie county, N. Y., and there he
continued in successful practice for seven years. He
closed out his practice in Collins in 1S96, and located in
Sinclairville, his old home district, succeeding Dr.
Frank A. Stevens. For nearly a quarter of a century
Dr. Cleland has practiced medicine in Sinclairville, his
standing as a careful diagnostician and skillful physi-
cian being very high. During this entire period, 1896-
1920. he has been health officer of the village and has
as scrupulously observed his public duties as his private
practice. He is a member of the Chautauqua County
Medical Society. Xew York State Medical Society, and
American Medical Association, keeping in close touch
with all advance in medical science through these so-
cieties, their meetings and their literature. He has
practiced his healing art over the district his forefathers
helped to subdue a century- ago, and has builded a name
and fame as enduring as theirs. Dr. Cleland is a mem-
ber of Sinclairville Lodge. Free and Accepted Masons ;
president of Sinclairville Free Public Library; and in
politics, a Democrat of the Cleveland-Wilson type.

Dr. Cleland married in Tidioute. Warren county, Pa.,
Ida L. Ir\'in, born in Tidioute. daughter of William and
Charity (McGrath') Irvin. Dr. and Mrs. Cleland are the
parents of a son. Elmer Owen, of further mention.

(\'I) Dr. Elmer Owen Cleland, only child of Dr.
Charles S. and Ida L. (Irvin') Cleland, was born in
South Dayton, Cattaraugus county. N. Y., June 20, 1888,
and died at the home of his parents in Sinclairville,
Oct. 19. 1919. He was eight years of age when his
parents made Sinclairville their permanent home, and
there he completed public school study with graduation
from high school, class of 1909. Choosing the profes-
sion of dentistry, he entered the dental department of
Baltimore Medical College, whence he was graduated
D. D. S.. class of 1912. After receiving his degree he
located in Greenville. Mercer county, Pa., continuing in
practice there until his death. During the period of war
between the United States and Germany, 1917-1918, Dr.
Cleland was enrolled in the Medical Reserve force and
was assigned to Base Hospital No. 42, at Pittsburgh,
Pa., and ordered to report for duty, Oct. 17. 1918. On
that date he was suffering from an attack of influenza,
from which he never recovered, the immediate cause
of his death a year later being attributed to bronchial
pneumonia. He was very successful in his profession,
and socially very popular. He was a member of Sin-
clairville Lodge, Free and .Accepted Masons, Greenville
L^idgc, Xo. 140, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, and of the Bessemer Club. He was stricken just
on life's threshold and with every promise of a brilliant
professional career before him. He was buried with
many others of his familv in the nmetery at Sinclair-
ville.

Dr. Charles S. Cl<-land. now in the full prime of his
physical powers, with mind enriched with the years of
constant practice and study, and with the calm and
sober judgment which the years alone can give, occu-



pies an enviable position in his community. He is the
loved confidant and trusted adviser of young and old,
and is no less highly valued as friend and neighbor than
as a physician. His is a genial, social, friendly nature,
and as his personality attracts, so his sterling quality re-
tains tlic friendship of all who come within the wide
circle of his influence.



OWEN M. CLELAND was born at the home farm
in Cliarlotte. Cliautauqua county, N. Y., May 9. 1864,
son of Nathan M. and Catherine M. (Hooper) Cleland
(q. v.). He received his early education in the district
schools, and later attended high school at Ellington,
N. Y. After laying aside his text books, Mr. Cleland



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 70 of 101)