John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 72 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 72 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1918. to Elsie M. Hedman, daughter of August Hed-
man, of Jamestown. Mr. and Mrs. Sandberg are the
parents of a son. George O., Jr.



THE ACTIVE FURNITURE COMPANY— In

June. 1916, several of the men of Jamestown, who had
learned the furniture making trade, got together and
established on a working basis the Active Furniture
Company. These men were Nestor Munson, who was
elected president of the company; Oscar Newgren,
vice-president; O. R. Johnson, the secretary and treas-
urer. The plant was located on Steele street, and here,
with twelve men employed, they met witli such suc-
cess that in .\ugust. 1918, they bought the Jamestown
Window Screen Company's plant at Jones and Gifford
avenues, and moved their factory to the newly pur-
chased location. The present working force is thirty-
five men. and the power used in the plant is steam.
The product is a high grade of parlor and library
tables, and phonograph cases, most of their employees
being cxr)crt workmen. The company incorporated in
1916 under the laws of the State of New York, and
at the last election of officers the following men were
chosen: Carl Richard Carlson, president; Charles A.
Johnson, first vice-president; George Jacobson. second
vice-president; Oscar R. Rard, secretary, treasurer and
general manager. The Active Furniture Company, Inc.,
is a member of the Manufacturers' .'\ssociation of
Jam'stov.n, and is well regarded in commercial circles.



CARL RICHARD CARLSON— Like many other
men of the Swedish population in Jamestown, Carl Rich-
ard Carlson is engaged in the manufacture of fine
furniture, and like many of them he came from the little
town of Smoland, Sweden, where he was born March 11,
1S85. the son of C. J. and Emma (Peterson) Carlson.
The father was a farmer, and trained the boy in the
work about the place, sending him to the public school
during the time of its sessions. When old enough the
lad obtained employment in a door factory, working
there until he was twenty years old, when he came to
.\merica. When Carl Richard Carlson arrived in this
country he immediately went to Jamestown. N. Y., en-
tering the employ of the Anchor Furniture Company.
This was in 1905, and he remained in this factory for
almost nine years, leaving it to accept a better position
with the Superior Furniture Company, working on a
band saw. Two years later, in 1916, he joined the newly
organized Active Furniture Company as a member of
the firm, and in 191S was elected president of it in addi-
tion to being superintendent of the entire factory.

Mr. Carlson is identilicd with several of the local as-
sociations of Jamestown, among them being the fra-
ternal society of Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the
Lief Erickson Association, and the Thule Order of
\'asa. Unlike most of his countrymen, Mr. Carlson has
never married, but he has hosts of friends among the
Swedish families of Jamestown.



OSCAR R. BARD — During the twenty-three years
that Oscar R. Bard has been a resident in this country,
he has acquired much and varied information in con-
nection with manufacturing pursuits, owing to the fact
that he has been engaged in several different kinds of
business.

He was born in Smoland. Sweden, Jan. 28, 1882, the
son of John Bard, a non-commissioned officer in the
Swedish army, having served for twenty-five years in
that capacity.

Oscar R. Bard was brought up on a farm, in the
work of which he was daily occupied, attending the
village school part of the time, receiving a good ele-
mentary education. When the boy had reached the age
of fourteen years, he determined to try his fortune in
the United States, having relatives here who had done
well in many lines. Oscar R. Bard landed in New York
City in May, 1896, and at once went to Falconer, N. Y.,
where his brother resided. For the first three months
the lad attended school so that he might gain an in-
sight into .American ways, then very sliorlly after oI>-
taincd work in tlie Jamestown Mantel Company, which
is located in Falconer. For ten years he remained with
this concern, learning the trade of caliinetmaker, and
then, having an opportunity to better himself, went to
Warren, Pa., and entered the employ of the Bennett
Piano Company in their cabinet making department.
Two years later be returned to Falconer and entered
into a partnership with his brother, Charles S. Bard,
making a specialty of furniture and office fixtures. For
several years he continued in this line, leaving it to go
into the retail shoe business with Victor Johnson on
Second street, the firm name being Johnson & Bard.



BIOGRAPHICAL



579



For seven years they operated this store, then became
interested in the monumental works of August Gustaf-
son on North Main street. He entered into partner-
ship with him as the Gustafson & Bard Monumental
Works of Jamestown. Mr. Bard is still connected with
this business. In 1918 he became interested in the
Active Furniture Company and was made the secretary
and treasurer of that company, positions he now holds,
in addition to that of general manager of the plant.

Oscar R. Bard married, in Jamestown, June :!S, 1910,
Edith Holm, daughter of John and Louise (Anderson)
Holm, residents of that city. Three children were born
to Mr. and Mrs. Bard: i. Genevieve, who is attending
school in Jamestown. 2. Evelyn, also at school ; and
Elsie. Mr. and Mrs. Bard are members of Immanuel
Lutheran Church, and he is president of the Sick Bene-
fit Society of the church.



cepted Masons, of Sherman,



Chapter, of May-



WILLIAM HOMER RATER— Among the repre-
sentative men of Chautauqua county this good citizen
of Sherman enjoys an undisputed standing. As one of
the most prosperous farmers of his township, and as
the incumbent, for a number of years, of various local
offices of trust, Mr. Rater is much in the public eye.

William Homer Rater was born Dec. II, 1862, on a
farm in the town of Mina, Chautauqua county, N. Y.,
a son of Julius and Sarah (Hitchcock) Rater. Mr.
Rater, who is now deceased, was a farmer. The Rater
family, in honor of whom Rater's Corner, a settlement
in Ripley township, received its name, is of German
origin, and has been many years resident in Mina town-
ship.

The education of William Homer Rater was re-
ceived in the district schools of Mina township, that is,
his earliest education, for when he was but six years
old his parents moved to Ripley township and there
he attended the district schools. After a time the
family returned to Mina township and the boy resumed
his attendance at the old schools. He was soon obliged
to leave, however, on account of the death of his
father which made it necessary for him to seek em-
ployment. At first he worked on farms in the neigh-
borhood, receiving for compensation board and cloth-
ing, but it was not long before he began to render as-
sistance valuable enough to command money payment.
In 1889, Mr. Rater rented his present farm and in about
a year bought 100 adjoining acres. Some four years
after he purchased the farm on which he now lives,
which comprises 161 acres, thus becoming the owner of
261 acres. He has improved the estate to a great ex-
tent, rebuilding the house, erecting a barn and con-
structing a workshop, chicken houses and similar out-
buildings. He has forty cows, four horses and 250
chickens. He devotes the land to general farming,
also conducting a fine dairy. .Among his most valuable
possessions are two automobiles, a large powerful tour-
ing car and a roadster. Since 1917 Mr. Rater has
been a director of .the Chautauqua County Farmers'
Milk Producers' Association ; also a director of the
Sherman Telephone Company for five years. In the
sphere of politics, Mr. Rater adheres to the Republican
party and is now serving as school trustee and school
collector, offices which he has held many times before.
He affiliates with Olive Lodge, No. S7S, Free and Ac-



ville, and Dunkirk Commandery. He belongs to the
Grange, and is a member of the Community Church,
both of Sherman.

Mr. Rater married, Nov. 23, 1905, at the Presbyterian
parsonage, Sherman, N. Y., Minnie, daughter of Gar-
ret and Hannah Gabriel, and they are the parents of
two children: Ida May, now attending school, and Sarah
Louise, an infant.

William Homer Rater is, most emphatically, a man
who has made his own way in the world and in doing
50 has made for himself a record in which his children,
in after years, may justly take pride, for he has achieved
his success by persistent industry, indomitable energy
and methods strictly and invariably honorable.



CHARLES C. WILSON occupies a position of
trust and responsibility in the commercial life of James-
town. He was manager of the large lumber plant
which was founded and successfully carried on by his
father, John T. Wilson, until its disposal, Nov. I, 1919.
The John T. Wilson Estate, dealers in lumber, rough
and dressed, sashes, interior trim and doors, was one
of the best known concerns in Jamestown in its time.
John T. Wilson died May 10, 1910, his wife having died
April 4, 1903. He left three children: I. Anna, who
became the wife of A. S. Dunham, of Jamestown. 2.
Jennie, who became the wife of Frank W. Cadwell,
also of Jamestown. 3. Charles C, of further mention.

Charles C. Wilson was born in Jamestown, Oct. 3, 1864.
He obtained a substantial education in the public and high
schools of his native city, after which he took a course
at the Bryant & Stratton Business College in BuflFalo,
N. Y. At the age of nineteen, he entered his father's
plant as bookkeeper and to assist in the management
of the ever increasing business. John T. Wilson at
his death had left his business in the form of an estate,
his son, Charles C, being made executor and manager
of it, and from 1910 until its settlement, Dec. i, 1920, he
personally conducted all its affairs. Mr. Wilson is a
genial man, much interested in many of the organiza-
tions of Jamestown, having a social trend. Fraternally
he is a thirty-second degree Mason ; Knights Templar,
and belongs to the Shrine; member of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, of which he is a past
trustee. His clubs are the Jamestown and Sportsmen's.
He is a vice-president of the Jamestown Malleable
Products Company, and a director of the First National
Bank of Jamestown.

In January, i8go, Charles C. Wilson was united in mar-
rige with Mary Hall, daughter of Erie and Jennie (Mar-
vin) Hall, of Jamestown. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson one
child has been born, Marvin C, in Jamestown, April 27,
1S97. He was educated in the grammar and high schools
of his home city, and the University of Pennsylvania. He
entered the service of the government during the late
war, being attached to an officers' training school at
Camp Mead, Maryland, from May, 1918, until he was
honorably discharged, Dec. 23. 1918. He had been com-
missioned a second lieutenant during his service, but
was retained for duty in this country. After being
mustered out of service, he returned to the University
of Pennsylvania, where he pursued a course of execu-
tive training in the Wharton School of Finance, from



:;8o



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



which he was graduated in June, iqiQ. He is at pres-
ent associated with his father in business in Jamestown.
He married. May 20. 1020. Edith D., daughter of Frank
Priest, 01 lamestown.



JOHN JAMES LANDERS, A. B., LL. B., LL. D.,

a retired minister of the Episcopal faith, a resident of
Fredonia. whose life stands out prominently for God,
home and humanity, is a man whose careful prepara-
tion, supplemented by unfaltering devotion to his
chosen profession, enabled him to pass beyond the
point of mediocrity and stand among the successful
few.

John James Landers was born on Clare Island, lo-
cated off the west coast of Ireland, County of Mayo,
at the entrance of Clew Bay, Aug, 23, 1834, son of
William and Mary (Plunkef) Landers, natives of Ire-
land, the former named having been engaged in the Eng-
lish civil service. The elementary education of John J.
Landers was obtained from private tutors, and his collegi-
ate and university courses were obtained by attendance at
Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, from which institution
he received the following degrees, A. B., 1864; LL. B.,
1S65. and LL. D.. 1S78. He became an ordained min-
ister of the Gospel, following the tenets of the Episcopal
church, and his work among his parishioners was ever
for their spiritual uplift and to lead them to a better
and holier conception of the duties of mankind in
every-day affairs, teaching them by example and pre-
cept to follow in the footsteps of their great Master in
all things. He is an earnest, God-fearing, capable man,
who above all things has desired to do good in his day
and generation, and his life in the midst of the people
who have known and revered him for many years is
a silent witness to the fact that he has striven manfully
to lead those who were under his charge in the way of
truth, holiness and morality. He has ever been an
earnest advocate of education, and keeps fully abreast
with the spirit of the times. He is still a subject of
Great Britain, but he has always taken a keen interest
in all that concerns the communities in which he has
made his home in this country, his actions an influence
for pood upon all with whom he is brought in contact.

John James Landers married, in Dublin, Ireland,
Dec. 16. 1862. Mary Amanda Bass, born Nov. 21, 1840,
in Evcrton, Liverpool, England, daughter of Abel and
Frances C Robinson) Bass, .\mong the children bf>rn to
Dr. and Mrs. Landers five are living at the present time
(\{i2i). as follows: William, born Oct. 6, 1863; Charles,
born Sept. it. 1S71 ; George, born, June 8, 1877; Frank,
\i'iTn June 27, 1&S2; and Carrie, born Nov. 14, 1884.
The members of the family are all communicants of
the Episcopal church, performing well their part in
their various walks of life, following in tlie footsteps
of their honored father.



ELLIS WADSWORTH STORMS— The death of
Dr. Ellis Wad-v.r,rth Storms, who for many years was
one of the leading physicians of the town of Falconer.
Chaiitaufjua county, N. Y., on Jan. '). 1910, removed
from this region a figure which had occupied a some-
what unif|uc positi'.n in the community, and who was
known as one of the most popular and influential citi-
z'-ni o( the place. Dr. Storms was a son of I"rederick



and Barbara (Smith) Storms, old and highly respected 1
residents of Eden, Erie county, N. Y., where the former
was engaged successfully in the occupation of farming.

Dr. Storms was born at Eden, Feb. 16, 1868, and as
a child attended the public schools of that place. He
later entered the Fredonia Normal School at Fredonia,
N. Y.. from wliich he was graduated with the class of \
1893 aii<J where he was prepared for college. Dr.
Storms, upon completing his studies at the latter insti-
tution, entered the profession of teaching, continued
for a time, and was elected principal of the Ellington
High School at Ellington, Chautauqua county, and '
reelected to that position each year until 1897. In the
meantime the young man determined to follow the
profession of medicine as a career in life, and in 1896
matriculated at the medical department of the Uni-
versity of Buffalo, from which institution he was
graduated with the class of 1900, taking his degree as
medical doctor at, the same time. Dr. Storms then
removed to Cherry Creek, where he began the practice
of his profession and was most successful for a period
of about eleven years, during which time he estab-
lished a wide reputation as one of the leading physi-
cians of the place. In 1911 he removed to Falconer,
where he opened an office and continued to practice
most successfully until 1918. In addition to his pro-
fessional activities. Dr. Storms took a keen interest in
public affairs, and was for many years prominently
identified witli the Republican party, being a staunch
supporter of its principles and policies and being elected
to a number of important local offices on its ticket. He
was supervisor of Cherry Creek in 1909, and served as
coroner for Chautauqua county for two terms. In
Cherry Creek he was also a member of the local
School Board and served as treasurer of that body
for a considerable period. Upon coming to Falconer,
Dr. Storms affiliated himself with the Progressive
movement and continued as a staunch supporter of the
third party until 1916, when he renewed his allegiance
to the Republican party. Two years before liis death
he was elected to the Falconer Board of Education,
and still held that position at the close of his life. Dr.
Storms was one of those who was instrumental in
establishing the County Tuberculosis Hospital, and
served on the first committee of supervisors which took
up that important project. He was a prominent figure
in the social and fraternal life of the community, and
was a member of the Jamestown Medical Society, the
Chautauqua County Medical Society, the New York
State Medical Society, and the American Medical As-
sociation. He was also affiliated with the .\ncient
Free and Accepted Masons, of Cherry Creek, of which
he was the worshipful master; and also with the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Order of
the Eastern Star, of which he was worthy patron, and
Jamestown Lodge, Order of Amaranth. His club was
the University, of Jamestown. During the participation
of the United States in the great World War, Dr.
Storms was active in local war work, and was elected
chairman of the l^'alconcr branch of the American Red
Cross Society aufj held that post at tlie time of his
death.

Dr. Ellis Wadsworth Storms was united in marriage,
Oct. 12, T904, at Eden, Erie county, N. Y., with Pearl
M. Zitlel, a daughter of Peter and Louisa J. (Zittcl)



BIOGRAPHICAL



581



Zittel, and they were the parents of one child, Robert
Ellis, born Oct. 31, 1914. At the time of his death the
local press and many of his personal friends united in
a chorus of praise for his past work, which had been
so abruptly terminated, and of regret for the great loss
which the community had suffered in his demise. It
will be appropriate to quote from the Jamestown
"Journal," which, in a long obituary article on Dr.
Storms, included the following:

Those who knew Dr. Storms well, thoroughly re-
spected him. for his integrity, his independence in
thought and action, and his sincere devotion to high
ideals of citizenship, and professional character. The
rural physician has no easy life, and for seventeen
years Dr. Storms spent his vitality in that trying
work. Now that he has gone from us so suddenly,
his friends will recall his life as one of constant
labor and high endeavor, and will keenly sympathize
with his wife and little son. The portals of another
life opened quickly for him, but he was ready.



WILLIAM ELY AINGE— Trained in his native

England in the profession of accountancy, Mr. Ainge,
president of the W. Ely Ainge Accounting Company, of
Voungstown, Ohio., has devoted his life to that calling
and is widely known in his chosen lield. His associa-
tion with Chautauqua county is by residence, while his
business interests, since the incorporation of the com-
pany bearing his name in 1916, have been largely in
Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Mr. Ainge is a son of W. Ely Robins and Mary
Ainge, his father a gentleman farmer and owner of an
estate of 800 acres at Warwick, England. Mr. Ainge
was born in Bristol, Gloucestershire. England, and after
attending the .\lcester Grammar School, of Warwick-
shire, was for several years employed in the general
offices of John Crossley & Sons, Ltd., of England. Sub-
sequently he was associated with the firm of J. D.
Taylor & Company, chartered accountants, of Halifax
and Bradford, Yorkshire, and in this employ mastered
his profession. In 1883 he went to Toronto, Ontario,
Canada, and from that year until 1890 practiced ac-
countancy in Canada. In the latter year he came to the
United States and for a number of years filled the
office of auditor of the Ohio Steel Company. Reenter-
ing the field of public accounting, he has since been
active in that line, and since 1916 has been president of
the W. Ely Ainge Accounting Company. The officials
of the company at the time of formation were Mr.
.'\inge, president and treasurer; J. E. Parker, vice-presi-
dent; and C. D. Ainge, secretary, and the members of
the board of directors were J. E. Parker, of the Brier
Hill Steel Company; J. J. Brant, of the Youngstown
Sheet and Tube Company; W. I. Davies, of the Ma-
honing National Bank: W. Ely .'\inge and C. D. Ainge.
The company makes its headquarters in the Stambaugh
building, of Youngstown, O., its work all forms of
public accounting, the installation of accounting sys-
tems, auditing and investigating. Its clients include
industrial and commercial houses of national reputa-
tion, and under Mr. Ainge's capable direction its business
has increased to an impressive size, employing a con-
siderable force of highly trained specialists.

Mr. .Ainge is a member of the Masonic order, having
been affiliated with lodges in England, Canada, and the
United States. In Liverpool, England, he was a mem-
ber of the Liverpool Liberal Club, and is now a mem-



ber of the Youngstown Club. He and his family are
communicants of the Church of England.

Mr. Ainge married, at Halifa.x, Yorkshire, England,
Sept. I, 1871, Susannah Taylor, daughter of Jonas
Darnley and Martha Taylor. Children of Mr. and Mrs.
Ainge: Frederick William, born June 11, 1872, at Brad-
ford, England; Edith Mary, born Sept. 10, 1873, at
Bradford, England; Jessie Louise, born Nov. 8, 1874,
at Brighouse. England; Annie Maud, born Nov. 26,
1876, at HaKfa.x, England ; Winifred Ellen, born Feb.
23, 1878, at Halifax, England; Harold Darnley, born
Jan. 15, 1880, at Berkenhead, Cheshire, England; Percy
Taylor, born Feb. 24, 1884, at Toronto, Canada ; Louis
Gilbert, born Oct. 16, 1885, at Parkdale, Ontario, Canada;
Clifford Douglass, born April 14, 1893, at Salem, Va.



HENRY ARCHBOLD CLARK, for a number of
years one of the members of the bar in Western New
York, and a prominent figure in the affairs of the flour-
ishing community of Fredonia, is a native of that town,
born Oct. 2, 1871, a son of J. Henry and Mary (Mor-
gan ) Clark, old and highly respected residents there.
The elder Mr. Clark was engaged in the dry goods
business at Fredonia for a time, but afterwards became
a nurseryman and conducted a prosperous enterprise
here until the close of his life. He was one of the
early settlers at Fredonia, and his business interests
grew up with the town. He came here in early days
with his parents, Harmanus C. and Mehitable Clark,
who were among the pioneers of Chautauqua county.

Henry Archbold Clark attended as a lad the local
public schools, and later the Fredonia State Normal
School, where his general education was completed. He
was a young man of great ambition, and in youth de-
termined upon a professional career, his choice being
the law. Accordingly, in 1891, he entered the law of-
fice of Lorenzo Morris, one of the leading attorneys
of his day in Fredonia, and there took up the study of
his chosen subject. This he pursued to such good pur-
pose that in 1896 he was admitted to the New York bar,
and immediately afterwards formed a co-partnership
with Arthur R. Moore and began the practice of his
profession at Fredonia. The firm of Moore & Clark
continued in existence until Jan. i. i8g8, when it was
dissolved by the mutual consent of the partners, and
Mr. Clark has continued in practice by himself ever
since. From the outset of his active career, Mr. Clark
has enjoyed the entire confidence and esteem of both
his fellow attorneys and the community-at-large for his
legal ability and the high standard of professional eth-
ics he has consistently maintained. His character is
preeminently fitted for success at the bar, his naturally
alert and trenchant intellect and strong personality hav-
ing been supplemented by a profound knowledge of
jurisprudence and a wide experience in legal matters.
Mr. Clark has always been keenly interested in outdoor
pastimes, and has participated in them largely from
early youth, especially in hunting and fishing, having
spent much of his leisure time in the pursuit of these
sports. He is also a devoted automobilist, and was
one of the first men in Fredonia to own a motor car.
He is well known in social circles at Fredonia, and is
much esteemed by his fellow-citizens.



;sj



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 72 of 101)