John Phillips Downs.

History of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) online

. (page 74 of 101)
Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 74 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tween Celoron and Lakewood, several thousand feet
of land lying between the lake shore and the Erie
Railroad tracks. This land was practically a swamp
at that time, and his venture seemed rather odd to many
people, but later they clearly saw his object and the
great development which took place. He built two
canals through the property, which drained it. and the
dirt which was removed from the canals was used to
fill the swamp, thus making many suitable building lots.
At that time there were no houses on this strip of land,
but today there are hundreds of well-constructed cot-
tages and houses. It can truly be said that Mr. Squire
is one of the builders of Chautauqua county. Mr.
Squire has served on various Chautauqua county com-
mittees for the advancement of the county's welfare,
and given material and moral assistance to the move-
ments of civic interest. Later Mr. Squire became in-
terested in oil producing properties in the oil fields
of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wyoming and Texas.



586



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



Mr. Squire is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, the Kniglits of Pytliias. Knights of the
Maccabees. Fraternal Order of Eagles, Patrons of Hus-
bandry. Jamestown Board of Commerce, and at one
time was president of the village of Celoron. In poli-
tics he is a Republican, and his religious faith is that
of the Church of Christ (Scientist^.

Mr. Squire married. Jan. I. 1879, in Nicholson, Pa.,
Roxa Phelps, born April 14. iSoo. daughter of Otis and
Sarepta (Harris) Phelps, her father a Union soldier,
killed in battle during the Civil War. Mr. and Mrs.
Squire are the parents of a daughter, Leah, born Jan.
14. iSSi. at Nicholson, and a son, Verne, born Aug. 20,
iSoi. at Bradford. Pa. Verne Squire joined the United
States army Nov. 12. 1917. at Jamestown; went over-
seas Jan. 10, 1018, served with the Motor Transport
Corps, and was honorably discharged, June 25, 1919.



Regiment, Infantry, United States army, and was hon-
orably discharged, March 31, 1919, after twenty-one
months of service. 7. Lillian, born Feb. 18, iSg8, died
May 4, i8gS. Mr. Penhollow, in 1910, erected the house
on Dunham avenue, Celoron, in which his widow yet
resides, his death occurring there the following year.



WINFIELD SCOTT PENHOLLOW— Learning

the carpenter's trade early in life, Winlield S. Penhol-
low became an expert workman, and for many years of
his life was a well known contractor and builder of
the Jamestown district, his home in the village of
Celoron, where he died and where his widow. Patience
E. (Silvernail) Penhollow, yet resides, her home on
Dunham avenue. While he was of Pennsylvania birth,
his parents, Nathan and Adeline (Button) Penhollow,
were born in Chautauqua county. N. Y.. his father a
farmer.

Winfield S. Penhollow was born in Wayne township,
Erie county. Pa., July 3, 1853, and died in Celoron. N.
Y.. April 22, 191 1. He was educated in the district
schools, and in early life learned the trade of car-
penter. Later he began contracting, and until his death
continued in that line of activity. He bore an excel-
lent reputation as a contractor, and as a citizen was
highly esteemed. He was a member of Lakewood
Ledge. Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and at-
tended the Methodist Episcopal church at Celoron. In
political affiliation he was a Republican. He was not
active in village political affairs, but was always helpful
in furthering community interests.

Mr. Penhollow married, in Corry, Pa., Sept. 7, 1873,
Patience E. Silvernail. born in Wayne township, .^pril
12. 1856. daughter of Stephen V. and Jane A. (Brigtjs)
Silvernail, of Corry. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Pen-
hrllow: i. Elowyn S., born Dec. 14, 1875; married
Emma Fusselman. of Warren. Ohio, and they have
four sons: Raymond A., Henry S., William R., and
Clarence. 2. Lennie W., born Feb. 12, 1877, died Oct.
18, ifSA 3. Ethel S., born .Aug. 20, 1883; she became
the wife of Worthy A. Rolph of Celoron, and they have
four children: Eernice L., Lawrence W., Helen E., and
Lois J. 4. Cora J., born Sept. 3, 1885; she became the
wife of Lynn Soule, and died Jan. 9, 1908, leaving a
child, Elowcnc. 5. Jesse A., born .^priI 27, 1892; en-
tered the United Slates army. March 4, 19(8, in Com-
pany A. 42nd Hattalion, 20th Regiment, Engineers; he
was taken sick, and upon his release from the hospital
was transferred to the 43rd Battalion; he was honorably
dischar(.'fd at Fort Ontario, Sept. i, 1919, his rating
a musician, his rank sergeant. 6. Maude E., born March
I, if^/i; b'came the wife of Morton A. Pratt, of Celo-
ron; he enlisted. July 4, 1917, in Company E, io8th



CHARLES L. MELVIN— Many years ago the
Melvin family came to Chautauqua county and in the
town of Arkwright, Charles L. Melvin, the president of
the village of Celoron, and his father, James Melvin,
were born. James Melvin was a farmer of Arkwright,
and a man of industrious habits. He married Clara
Gage, born in the town of Hanover, Chautauqua county,
N. Y., thus Charles L. Melvin is thoroughly a Chautau-
quan by birth, heredity and spirit. He has long been a
resident of Celoron, and has been a factor in the growth
and development of that village.

Charles L. Melvin, son of James and Clara (Gage)
Melvin, was born Sept. 14, 18(39, spent part of his youth
at the home farm in Arkwright and at the age of three
years upon the death of his last surviving parent, his
father, he was brought up by Grandfather Gage, in the
town of Hanover, where he gained a good public school
education. He was familiar with farm labor in his
early youth, and in iSgi he purchased property in
Celoron and for many years has been engaged in real
estate and other lines of business. He is a justice of
the peace, and has long been interested in village af-
fairs, having served as president of the village since
1920. He is a successful business man, and enjoys the
warm regard of a wide circle of friends. He is a Re-
publican in politics, and a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church.

"Squire" Melvin married, in Forestville, Chautauqua
county, N. Y., Oct. 9. i8go. Kate Mary Budd, born Jan.
17, 1867, in Forestville, daughter of Louis and Cather-
ine (Greb) Budd. Mr. and Mrs. !\Ielvin are the par-
ents of four children: AUcne I., born April 18, 1893;
Mildred E., born April 23, 1899; Malcolm M., born Dec.
10, 1901 ; and Gertrude H., born Jan. 24, 1907. All the
children reside with their parents at the family resi-
dence at No. 46 Melvin avenue, which was erected by
Mr. Melvin on the avenue named in his honor.



CHARLES C. SWART— A native son of Chautau-
qua county, where his years, sixty-three, have been
passed, Mr. Swart, although bavin;.,' farming interests
which are committed to a tenant, has for thirty years
been engaged in the baggage and express business in
the village of Lakewood, where he also has an oil and
gasoline service station. His farm lies in the town of
Busti, his home in Lakewood. It has not been in busi-
ness alone that Mr. Swart has gained prominence, but
as a citizen he has taken active part in the development
of the village of Lakewood and has given much time to
the public service. Charles C. Swart is a son of Clem-
ence Swart, born in Strassburg, Germany, and his wife,
Roena (Sullivan) Swart, born in Clymer, Chautauqua
county, N. Y.

Charles C. Swart was born in the town of Harmony,
Chautauqua county, N. Y., April 9, 1857. He attended
public school and until attaining man's estate was his



BIOGRAPHICAL



587



father's farm assistant. When starting business hfe on
his own account, he continued in the same occupation,
and until locating in Lakewood cultivated his own farm
in Busti very successfully. In 1890 he began the team-
ing, baggage and express business in Lakewood, to
which he has now added an automobile service station,
having the assistance of his sons in conducting these
lines of business activity. He is a member of the Pa-
trons of Husbandry, the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and the United Brethren church. In politics
he is a Republican, his service to the village comprising
seven years as a member of the Board of Education,
and four years as village trustee, part of the time serv-
ing as president of the board.

Mr. Swart married, in Harmony, Chautauqua county,
N. Y., Jan. 15. 1879, Polly J. Alexander, born in Har-
mony, Feb. 22. 1856, daughter of Alpheus and Rachel
(Wellman) Alexander, both parents born in Harmony,
her father a farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Swart are the par-
ents of four children: Alfred C, born Oct. 9, 1882,
married Rose Nichols: C. Archie, born Dec. 10, 1884,
married Eva Duffy; Lafayette, born Jan. 16, 1SS8, mar-
ried Myrtle Maring, and they have two sons: Lafayette.
Jr., and Charles A. ; Ada R., born July 6, 1895, now
(1921) residing at home.



GEORGE BURNHAM MARTIN— Aaron Martin,
with his sons. Captain William and Isaac Martin, came
from Columbia county, N. Y., in 181 1, and settled in the
town of Busti, Chautauqua county, N. Y. Aaron Mar-
tin was the founder of the Martin family in Chautauqua
county, a family that has been prominent in the county
for a century.

Capt. William Martin, grandfather of George B.
Martin, was born at Claverack, Columbia county, N. Y.,
Nov. 7. 1789, and died Sept. 13. 1875. at his farm in the
town of Kiantone, Chautauqua county. He came with
his father to the town of Busti, in 181 1, and with his
brother, Isaac Martin, took up lot No. 23, township i,
range 11. in what is now Kiantone, and there the greater
part of his after life was spent. In 1828 he returned to
Busti and the old farm in order to care for his father's
family, and there he remained until about the year 1847,
when he came to his own home in Kiantone and there
remained until his death. William Martin served as ensign
in the War of 1812 in the company of Lieut. William
Forbes, and was taken prisoner on the road between
Buffalo and Black Rock the day the British and Indi-
ans destroyed Buffalo. He was held a prisoner until
May 14, 1814. then was released and later in the same
year was again in the service. In 1816 he was commis-
sioned a captain of militia. He was a strict temperance
man and whiskey was prohibited among the farm work-
men, although it was almost the universal custom of the
neighborhood to serve it to the farm laborers. He
was a L'niversalist in religious faith, a man of strong
character and upright life.

Capt. William Martin married, in 1815, Roxy Pier,
of Busti, N. Y., and they were the parents of the fol-
lowing named children : Isaac. Adaline, Abraham, of
whom further : Lorenzo. .\. Dewey, Sarah A., James D.,
Lois A., George L., and Elvira A. Mrs. Roxy (Pier)
Martin died in March, 1883, surviving her husband
eight years.



Abraham Martin, second son of Captain William and
Roxy (Pier) Martin, was born in the town of Busti,
Chautauqua county, N. Y., Oct. 12, 1818, and died at his
farm in Kiantone, the same county, Nov. 29, 1893. With
the exception of the years, 1828-1840, which he spent in
Busti with his father, Kiantone was his home, his farm
part of the original lot No. 23 taken up by his father.
He was a prosperous farmer, and active in promoting
general public interests. He was a Republican in poli-
tics, but when the legal suppression of the liquor traffic
became a political issue he became an ally of the Pro-
hibition cause. He was also in favor of enfranchising
women, and at various times served as a trustee of
Universalist churches in Kiantone, Frewsburg and
Jamestown.

Abraham Martin married Mary E. Burnham, daugh-
ter of Eliphalet Burnham and his second wife, Belvidera
(Carter) Burnham, and a descendant of Thomas Burn-
ham, who settled in Hartford, Conn., in 1635. Eliphalet
Burnham, born in East Hartford, Conn., in 1770. settled
in the town of Pomfret on lot 6, towaiship 5, in 1805, and
became one of the prominent men of that town. In 1834
he bought the paper mill at Laona, in Pomfret, and was
the owner until leaving the State for Pennsylvania,
where he died Sept. 2', 1S63. Mr. Burnham was open-
hearted, public-spirited and generous, his house the
abode of hospitality, the early settlers and their families
freely using it until their own homes were ready for oc-
cupancy. He was a devout Baptist, belonging to the
church in Fredonia, then joined the Laona church by
letter. His second wife, Belvidera (Carter) Burnham,
was the daughter of Elijah Carter, who settled in the
town of Charlotte, in 1817; she was a woman of fine
mind and character, described as an "inveterate worker"
and "pattern of neatness." She died at the home of
her daughter, Mrs. Mary E. Martin, in Kiantone, aged
nearly ninety years. Mr. and Mrs. Martin were the
parents of three children: I. Ellen A., born Jan. 16,
1847 ; she was the first woman law student in Chautau-
qua county: in 1871 she began the study of law with
Cook & Lockwood, and two years later entered the law
school of the University of Michigan, whence she was
graduated in 1875 1 '" January, 1876, she was admitted
to the bar of the State of Illinois, and the same year
began the practice of her profession in Chicago, where
she became a successful lawyer and long continued in
practice. 2. Willis E., born June 13, 1850. married
Edith Morris : he was treasurer of the H. K. Porter
Locomotive Works of Pittsbur.gh, Pa., where he re-
sided for a number of years. 3. George Burnham. of
whom further.

George Burnham Martin, youngest of the children of
Abraham and Mary E. (Burnham) Martin, was born in
Carroll, now Kiantone, Chautauqua county, N. Y.. June
3, 1853, and died at his farm in Kiantone, .April 29, 1896.
He was a graduate of Jamestown High School and
Princeton College, receiving his degree of A. B. from
Princeton in 1876. He did some teaching and tutoring
and about this time of his life pursued a course in the-
ology at the Union Theological Seminary in New York
City, later, however, following the life of a farmer. He
was a man of intellect and high character, greatly be-
loved by all who knew him. and was highly regarded in
Kiantone.



588



CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY



Mr. Martin married, in Kiantone. July 2. 1878. Telia
Evans, born in the town of Carroll, June 8, 1853, daugh-
ter of Addis and Helen (Traver) Evans. Mrs, Telia
(Evans") Martin survives her husband, and in 1909
bought her present farm consisting of twenty-one acres
at Cheney's Point in North Harmony, her postoffice,
Ashville, R. F. D. 63. Her only son. Frederick P.
Martin, born May 8, i88j, in Effingham, Kan., resides
with his mother. Margaret Helen, the only daughter,
bom in Jamestown, N. Y., Nov. 12, 18S7, became the
wife of Maynard T. Strickland, and resides at Cheney's
Point.

MARTIN JOSEPH PAQUIN— Though Martin
Joseph Paquin may be a native of Canada, he is never-
theless a good, staunch .\merican, a citizen who is a
credit to his city and who endeavors to assist in the
welfare of that municipality. In business he is pains-
taking and careful, and may be classed among the re-
liable jewelers of Jamestown.

Born in Hamilton. Canada. Nov. 11, 1881. Martin
Joseph Paquin was only six years old when his parents,
Joseph and Elizabeth Paquin. crossed the border line
and took up their residence in Jamestow'n. The elder
Paquin immediately entered into the grocery business,
meeting with considerable success. He is now deceased,
as is also his wife. Martin J. Paquin attended the
parochial schools as a boy until seventeen years of age,
when he entered the employ of J. M. Cushman. who
was in the jewelry business at Brooklyn square, James-
town. He served an apprenticeship for three years, at
the expiration of which time he went into the store of
Joseph Keiser on Third street as a salesman, remaining
with Mr. Keiser for two years; then, Mr. Keiser selling
out his business to Frank Chase, young Paquin remained
with the new owner for one year. He then had an
opportunity to better his position, and he entered the
store of S. P. Carlson on South Main street, but at
the end of six months he returned to Mr. Chase, where
he had formerly been employed. Eventually Mr. Chase
sold his business, and Mr. Paquin accepted a position
with B. L. .\rnson on Main street. ,'\ftcr five years he
entered into partnership wMth his employer, the firm
name being .Arnson & Paquin. This was in 1912. Two
years later the young man sold his interest in the busi-
ness to Mr. .•'imson, and in 1914 established the store
of Paquin & Company at No. 103 West Third street,
dealers in jewelry, silverware, etc., and is still located
there. Mr. Paquin is a member of the Board of Com-
merce, of Jamestown, and is actively interested in all
its work. He also is connected with the Knights of
Columbus, taking a prominent part in the association.
The Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks are others of Mr. Paquin's
interests, being affiliated with the local lodges. He and
his family attend the Roman Catholic church.

Martin Joseph Paquin was married in Jamestown,
.■\ug. 31, i'X>4, to Catherine Clair Cooper, the daughter
of Jamc5 Cooper, who was for several years prior to
his death in the .\rt Metal Company of Jamestown.
Mr, and Mrs. Paquin have one child, James, who is at
present a pupil in the parochial school. The greatest
pleasure of Mr. Panquin's life is to spend his little va-
cation=, out in the open. With his gun or fishing rorl he
may be found tramping for miles through the deep,



still woods or beside some quiet stream in search of
the wary trout, enjoying the life of the great out-of-
doors.



CHARLES T. CHAPMAN, D. D. S., is one of the

well known professional men of Mayville and Chautau-
qua county, as was his father, the late C. Frank Chap-
man, wdio was a prominent attorney. C. Frank Chap-
man was born at Woodstock, Windham county, Conn.,
but came to Chautauua county with his parents, who
settled in Stockton, and when old enough, attended the
village school of Mayville. Later the young man en-
tered the law office of Obed Edson at Sinclairville, in
preparation for his future legal studies. He became a
student at the Albany Law School, graduating from it
in 1876. Following this, he located in Sinclairville,
where he practiced law for some time. He later moved
to Stockton and eventually, in 1S96, located in Mayville,
continuing the practice of law there until his death,
.•\ug. 6. 1914. at the age of sixty-three years.

Mr. Chapman was very active in all public affairs con-
nected with Mayville, serving on the Board of Education
and the Village Board for some years while he lived
there. He also represented the towns of Stockton and
Charlotte. C. Frank Chapman was a man highly respected
in the community in which he lived, and his death was
greatly lamented. He married Fannie Morris Chapman,
and to them were born four children : Leo L., a business
man of Fargo, N. D. ; Lena M., now residing at the home
of her mother; Anna M., a teacher in one of the schools
at Utica, N. Y. ; and Dr. Charles T. Chapman, of fur-
ther mention.

Dr. Charles T. Chapman received his early education
in the grammar and high schools of Mayville, taking
the regular high school course. After that he went to
the Chamberlain Military Institute, at Randolph, N. Y.,
where he received a course of military training, and at
which he was commissioned a captain. Following his
graduation from the military school at Randolph, he
pursued a course in dentistry at the University of Buf-
falo, from which he graduated in 1912 with the degree
of D. D. S. He passed the examination of the State
Dental Board, and in the same year went to Medina,
where he was associated with Dr. G. H. Simmonds. He
remained there but a short time, when he came back
to Mayville and in 1913 opened an office of his own,
where he has practiced ever since.

Dr. Chapman is a Republican and greatly interested in
the political life of his home town. He was at one time
a member of the School Board and is now a trustee of
the village. He is a member of the State and National
Dental societies.

In Mayville. Nov. 29, 1913, Dr. Chapman married
May Granger, a resident of that place. Of this union
two children were born : Mary Anne and James Morris.
Mrs. Chapman's father, Dr. James Granger, was a den-
tist of Mayville. He was very active in all things con-
nected with Freemasonry, being a Mason of some prom-
inence, a highly respected gentleman, and a successful
dentist, lie died in 1913.



WILLIS H. WHITE, a prosperous and representa-
tive farmer of Coiiewango Valley, Chautauqua county,
N. v., and for some years an overseer of the poor in




C^^y^d^X^^Wf^ ^.^C/d^^^^



BIOGRAPHICAL



589



that district, is a native of the county, having been born
in Ellington, Chautauqua county, N. Y., June 8, 1880,
the son of Delos W. and Martha M. (Main) White, the
former a respected and successful farmer of that neigh-
borhood for the greater part of his life.

Willis H. White in his young days attended the
graded school at Ellington, after passing through v^fhich
he became a student in the Ellington High School, from
which he eventually graduated, creditably. Thereafter,
until the present, he has applied himself industriously,
intelligently and successfully to farming occupations,
and has applied many modern scientific methods to the
working of his farm at Conewango Valley. He is a
member of the local Grange, and is a conscientious
Christian, member of the Methodist Episcopal church
at Conewango Valley, of which institution he is a steady
supporter. And during the recent war, he contributed
loyally and unstintedly to the various national funds
raised for the proper prosecution of the war, in its
many phases. Also, during that time of tension and
national effort, he, as a loyal, whole-hearted American
agriculturist, applied himself with even greater zest
to matters of production upon his own farm, to coop-
erate in the supreme national effort to bring such an
abnormal yield of foodstuffs that this nation would be
able to make up to its allies what they, because of the
close proximity of the strife, had been unable to pro-
duce. What was the result of that effort by American
farmers is now history, and creditable history, and those
who had part in the endeavor have reason to be pleased
with the outcome, and to have such individual part duly
noted in individual history.

Willis H. White was married at Ellington, Chautau-
qua county, N. Y., March 27, 1907, to Rosa E. Alverson,
born Sept. 3, 1881, the daughter of James W. and Mary
A. (Davis) Alverson. Her father was born in Leon, Cat-
taraugus county, N. Y., and lived there until about twelve
years old, then moved to Ellington, and her mother
belongs to the Davis family of Ellington, Chautauqua
county, N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Willis H. White are the
parents of three children: Muriel, born Feb. 25, 1909;
Grace, born Feb. 11, 1912; Mary Alice, born Dec. 28,
1915-

Mr. White is representative of the enterprising
younger farmers of Chautauqua county, is an indefa-
tigable worker, a good and hospitable neighbor, and a
man of good integrity, moral and material.



ARTHUR R. GORANSON is reckoned to be one
of the foremost musicians in Jamestown. From his
boyhood music had a great attraction for him, forming
the one great interest in his life.

He was born in Chicago, 111., Dec. i, 1889, his par-
ents being Nels R. and Julia (Jacobson) Goranson.
They were both natives of Sweden, but came to Amer-
ica before the birth of their son Arthur R., residing for
a time in Chicago. Nels R. Goranson was a teacher of
music and the organist and choir director of the Swe-
dish Zion Church in Jamestown at the time of his
death, which occurred Dec. 8, 1912. His wife is still
living.

Young Goranson attended the public schools of Chi-
cago, graduating from the high school. After this he
took a course at North Park College, and it was during



this time that he decided upon music as his future
career. Taking up the serious study of this art he
entered the American Conservatory of Music at Chi-
cago, taking the academic and normal course, and
after that the post-graduate course. He received a
certificate of efficiency, having completed the course of
study in piano and harmony, testifying as to his ability
to be a teacher in these branches. Mr. Goranson left
Chicago in 1908, going to Jamestown, N. Y., where he
taught a class" in piano training at his home. In the
fall of 1909 he returned to Chicago and completed his
post-graduate course; he returned to Jamestown and
resumed the teaching of music in the summer of 1910.
About this time Mr. Goranson became assistant organ-



Online LibraryJohn Phillips DownsHistory of Chautauqua County, New York, and its people (Volume 3) → online text (page 74 of 101)