Copyright
John Tregaskis.

Souvenir of the re-union of the blue and the gray, on the battlefield of Gettysburg, July 1, 2, 3 and 4, 1888. How to get there, and what is to be done during the year online

. (page 4 of 29)
Online LibraryJohn TregaskisSouvenir of the re-union of the blue and the gray, on the battlefield of Gettysburg, July 1, 2, 3 and 4, 1888. How to get there, and what is to be done during the year → online text (page 4 of 29)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Ryder, Elizabeth, N. J. ; Captain George Morton, New York City ; Sergeant J. Gorhain,
Stillwater, N. Y. ; Captain E. B. Haywood, Davenport, Iowa; Captain J. G. Viall, Washing-
ton, D. C. ; Dr. Isaac Mead, Amenia, N. Y. ; Sergeant D. F. Wolcott, Bradford, Pa. ; Lieu-
tenant W. H. Whitcomb, Catskill, N. Y. ; Rev. J. H. Bond, Benson, Vt. ; Sergeant Andrew
Bridgman, Mount Vernon, N. Y. ; Sergeant C. T. S. Pierce, Vergennes, Vt. ; Surgeon O. W.
Armstrong, New York City; Sergeant G. W. Toms, Stamford, Ct. ; Captain C. M. Pease,
Crown Point, N. Y. On the rear of the Monument, an illustration of which is given, is
the following inscription: "July 3, 18(33, this regiment, under command of Major John
Hammond, here supported Battery E. 4th U. S. Horse Artillery, Lieutenant S. S. Elder
losing six men. This regiment, June 30, lSG3,met and repulsed a portion of Lee's Cavalry'
under the personal command of General J. E. B. Stuarts, in the streets of Hanover, Pa.
(the first battle on free soil), in a hand to hand fight, capturing Lieutenant Coionel Paine
and seventy-livo men, with a loss of twenty-six offlcers and men killed and wounded July
2, 1803, this regiment attacked General Stuarts' Cavalry at Hunterstown, Pa., and at night
moved to Round Top, where we opened on General Longstreet's right."










X



146th New York Infantry was organized in Rome under the direction of the Senatorial
Committee of the Nineteenth District. It was mustered into service October 10, 1863.
Originally known as the " 5th Oneida," afterward as the " Halleck Infantry," its familiar
title was " Garrard Tigers," by which the officers and men were wont to speak of themselves,
as a compliment to the stern discipline and soldierly enthusiasm of Colonel Kenner Garrard,
9. ^aduate of West Point, who had accepted the command of the 14Gth at the suggestion of



General Halleck. The regiment was assigned to the Third Brigade of General Sykes' Divi-
sion ot thfj Fifth Corps, th<-n under the commind of General Meade. Duiing the battle of
Gettjshurg the 14t5th was in the brigade commanded by Brigadier General Weed; and in a
charge supported the Third Corps, which had met with a temporary reverse. Here also it
was that the 140th, with the 140th New York and 91st and looth Pennsylvania Regiments, at
a severe loss of officers and men, charged up and obtained possession of the " Little Round
Top,"' the key to the position, and held it during the entire engagement. Among the killed
were Brigadier-General Weed, who commanded the brigade ; Colonel Patrick O'PtOui ke of
the 140th ; and Captain Hazlett, commanding the famous " Battery D," .5th United States
Artillery, which the 146th supported. In consequence of the death of General Weed and
Colonel O'Rourko the command devolved upon Colonel Garrard, and for his gallant con-
duct on that occasion he was commissioned Brigadier-General. Colonel David F. Jenkins
then took command of the regiment. In 1863 the 146th adopted the Zouave uniform, which
rendered it as beautiful on parade as it was gallant in action. It numbered in all from first
to last ],rA')S men, receiving additions from the old 5th New York Duryea Zouaves, the
Seventeenth New York DEspeneuil Zouaves and the 44th New York " Ellsworth
Avengers," receiving at each lime a body of splendid soldiers. The regiment was thrico
complimented in general orders for distinguished gallantry ; first at Laurel Hill, Va., when
as two lines of battle in front broke, it stood firm and repelled the attack, losing severely;
second, at Cold Harbor, when Mahone's Division burst on its lines, the Brigade to which the
146th belonged checked their career, thus saving the position; third, at Hatcher"s Run,
where it held its ground at great odds until its ammunition was entirely gone, when it was
withdrawn a short distance, its cartridge boxes replenished, and the line again advanced.
Its battle record includes twenty-three engagements, among thom Fredericksburg, Chancel-
lorsville, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Tolo-
potomy, Petersburg, North Anna, Chapel House, Bethesda Church, Weldon Road and
Hatcher's Run. The regiment will dedicate its Monument on July 3 on the Little Round
Top. Brief addresses only will be made at the dedication. The Monument will be of sar-
cophagus pattern, anel one of its inscriptions will be " From this point General Meade
directed the battle of July 3."

Major-General W. S. Hancock was wounded during Pickett's charge on July 3, 1863.
On the twenty-fifth anniversary of that incident and during the afternoon a stone appro-
priately marked and which has been placed on the position will be visited by the admirers of
the gallant commander of the Fighting Second Corps. No services are contemplated.

07th New York Infantry (1st Long Island Volunteers), also called the " Brooklyn Pha-
lanx" and " Beccner's Regiment," participated in twenty-three battles of the Army of the
Potomac from Fair Oaks in 1862 to Appomattox in 186.5. It was mustered into service in
June, 1801, and there are now about 147 survivors of the regiment, all of whom it is pro-
posed to take to Gettysburg to be present at the dedication of the Monument on July 3. The
Orator on that occasion will be the Rev. Thomas K. Beecher of Elmira, N. Y. The follow-
ing are the Monument Committee: General Nelson Cross, Chairman; Sergeant William
Reid, Secretary; Private James N. Mills, Treasurer; Major Thomas M. K. Mill", Sergeant
Joseph C. Sealy, Brevet-Colonel George W. Stillwell, Brevet-Colonel Henry B. Beecher,
First Lieutenant Charles Crowell, Quartermaster A. H. Doty, Adjutant George B. Lincoln,
Jr., Private Burleigh L. Crans, Captain William H. Partridge, Washington, D. C. , and Ser-
geant Janirfs Mackin, Wellsville, N. Y. It was first proposed to join with the other regi-
ments of Sbaler's Brigade in the exercises of June lU, 13 and 14, but that resolution was
unanimously rescinded at a special meeting held February 14, 1888, in order to allow the .sur-
viving Veterans to meet the survivors of the Confederate Army on the twenty-fifth anni-
versary of the Battle. It will also be the first Re-Union of the regiment, and the " PloII Call
on the Battlefield" will be an interesting feature of the ceremonies. A large delegation from
Plymouth Chiu"ch will accompany the Survivors' Association to the Battlefield. In addition
t > the committee named the following survivors will be present at the dedication: John S.
Eliss, Sergeants Edward Fahey, Miles O'Reilley, John Morris, W. W. Dodge, Henry Metcalf,



Corporals Robert Ramsey ai.il G. D. Cunlif?, J. H. Kershaw, JEmei-y Cidwii, J.ili.i H. Bog>i - tj
B. L. Crans, Williaiu H. Pink, Lewis Walker, R. F. Jobnsou and G. A. Ilaliej. The flags
of the 1st Long Island Voluiitcers have the following battles inscribed on them; Yorktown,
Williamsburg, Se^•en Pines, Glcndale, Turkey Bend, Malvern Hill, Chaiitilly, Antietam,
South Mountain, Willianisport, FrL'derie:ksl)urg, Saleiu Heights, Gettysburg, Rappahannock
Station, Locust Grove, Mine P^un, Wilderness, Spottsylvauia, Cold Harbor, Petersburg.




3d New York Indepexd-.vt Batt;:hy was o!-^';uiized and mustered in the United States
Service May 21, 18C1, as Company D, 3d Regiment, N. Y. S. M. Subsequently permanently
detached from the regiment, it was, June 17, ISGl, re-mustered as the 3d New York Indepen-
dent Battery Volunteers— Captain T. P. Mott, First Lieutenant P. J. Downey, Second Lieu-
tenant J. V. Bryant, Orderly Sergeant J. Warren and fifty non-commissioned oiricers and
privates. Under the successive commands of Captains Mott, Stewart and Harn, it partici-
pated in the engagements of Lewinsville, Ball's Cross Roads, Lee's Mills, Williamsburgh,
Chickahominy, Gaines' Mill, Golding's Farm, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Krampton's
Gap, Antietam, Williamsport Road, Fredericksburg, December 11 and 13, ISG'3, May 5, 1863,
Marye's Heights, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Faii-field Pass, Funkstown, Rappahannock,
Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania C. H., North Anna, Cold Harbor, Petersburg Siege
and Sailors' Creek. After four years' active service in the Sixth Corps, it was mustered
out Juae 24, 1805— Captain W. A. Harn, 1st Lieutenants A. McLain and G. W. Kellogg,
Second Lieutenants G. P. Pitz Gerald and L. Rbeinis, and sixty-.seveu non commissioned offi-
cers and privates, with the reputation "second to none in the Army of the Potomac." Ser-
geant William A^ Moore sent out a call for the formation of a Veteran Association, to which
the following named members of the Battery responded : Lieutenants J. V. Bryant, H. M.
Fitz Gerald, G. W. Kellogg, Leon Rheims. Nou-commissioned Officers and Privates— WW"



ren, Meister, O'Hanlon, Dwyer, I<^rost, Glenn, Malloy, O'Reilly, Merritt, Burglistreeoi,
Regan, O'Brien, Nuley, Shuemau, Moran, Hansen, Ryan, Andesuer, DrafRn, Stiles, Craw,
Buskuhl, Thornton, Bauhlger, Van Nostrand, Flattich, Werner, Odell, Van Seinburgh,
Miller and Sullivan ; and on June 16, 1887, a permanent Veteran Association was established
by the election of W. A. Moore President, R. O. Frost Vice-President, H. M. Fitz Gerald
Treasurer, J. Warren Secretary. By arrangement of an ex-committee, consisting of W. A.
Moore, H. M. Fitz Gerald and H. L. Stiles, at 10 a. m., July 3, 1S8S, about twenty-flve mem-
bers of the 3d N. Y. I. Battery Veteran Association propose to meet on the spot their Battery
occupied " in Battery " ready to repel " Pickett's charge " in the battle of July 3, 18G3, to un-
veil and dedicate their Battery Monument. Major-General William S. Rosecrans will de-
liver the Oration. No further ceremoi-ies are contemplated otherwise than to fraternize
in good fellowship with the surviving members of the Army of Northern Virginia, notwith-
standing they did their best that same day twenty-five years ago to drive us off the field — if
not the earth.

149th New York Infantry was recraited and mustered into service at Syracuse, Onon-
daga County early in 1862. Its battle record is Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wauhatchie,
Lost Mountain, Kenesaw, Ringgold, Malvern, Pine Tree Creek, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Dal-
ton, Pumpkin Vine Creek, Dcv.ias, Atlanta, Savannah, Raleigh, Pine Knob and Fort McAl-
lister. It will dedicate its Monument on July 2. General Henry A. Bamum, the former
Colonel of the regiment will be the Orator of the day. The regiment will also join in the ex-
ercises of Greene's Brigade on Gulp's Hill. The Committee of Arrangements are : Captain
George K. Collins, Chairman ; Lieutenant-Colonel Henry N. Burhaus, Lieutenant-Colonel
Abel G. Cook, Captain Orsen Coville, Captain Thomas Merriam and Lieutenant John Geb-
hardt, Jr.

4th New York Independent Battery will dedicate its Monument on July 2. The sur-
vivors will march from the Square to the scene of their participation in the conflict, with
their old commanding officer. Captain J. E. Smith, at their head. A photograph of the
group around the stone will be taken, and then the Memorial will be turned over to the Bat-
tlefield Association, the Orator telling the story of the gallant charge made by the " Orange
Blossoms" and their charge in front of the battery at tlie Devil's Den. Quite a number of
the " Blossoms," 12-tth New York Volunteers, will be present at the exercises, and the sur-
vivors will include, besides the Captain, James R. Hill, Secretary, Ni.>w York ; Lieutenant
W. T. McLean, Los Angeles, Cal. ; General James S. Fraser, Lieutenant James E. Nairn,
Captain Dexter S. Bingham, Lieutenant John B. Johnston, Lieutenant Richard Hamlin,
Sergeants Robert S. Beaver, Fred S. Walkins, New York City; D. H. Smith, Wahpeton,

Dak. ; Joseph A. Charlton, Spotswood, N. J. ; John Shaw, Hugh CuUum, Spencer,

■ Byrnes, Lambert, Hope, McCullough, Burnam and Quatlander.

The battle record of the 4th Battery is: Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Savage Sta-
tion, Glendale, Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg. The survivors
meet at 781 Eighth avenue, New York.

9th New York Cavalry Veteran Association will hold their Re-Union on the battle-
field July 1, 3 and 3, taking a party of about 300, including wives and families. The Monu-
ment will be dedicated on July 2 at eleven o'clock a. m., the Orator of the day being Lieu-
tenant Colonel W. G. Bentley of Chicago. The officers of the Association are : Major W. B.
Martin, President; Captain Edward Goodrich, Vice-President; A. C. Robertson, Secretary, and
Thomas Beaumont, Treasurer. Organized in November, 1861, the 9th was recruited from
Chautauqua, Cattaraugas, Wyoming, Rensselaer, Washington, St. Lawrence and Clinton
Counties. Mustered in at Albany, it passed through the following engagements before it was
mustered out : Cedar Mountain, Brandy Station, Aldie, Upperville, Gainesville, Bull Run
(1862), Chantilly, Antietani, Gettysburg, Kelley's Ford, Rappahannock Station, Sulphur
Springs, Opequan, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, MechanicsvUle, Deep Bottom, Winchester,
Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, Petersburg and Richmond. This regiment repulsed the first
charge made by the enemy at Gettysburg, and lost the first man killed, and captured the first





sgw^rii^' M







prisoner in that memorable battle. Now, after a quarter of a century, they hope to meet
and clasp hands with each other and with those who were their enemies on the historic battle-
field.

SICKLES' EXCELSIOR BRIGADE (United States Volunteers), composed of the 70th, 71st
72d, 73d and 74th regiments of New York Infantry, will dedicate an imposing Brigade Monu-
ment, one of the most striking on the field, on a commanding location near the Peach Orchard
on the 2d day of July. The Rev. C. H. A. Buckley of Howard University, Washington, D. C.
will conduct the religious exercises, Rev. J. H. TwicheU of Hartford, Ct., being the Orator
of the day. The Monument wiU be a pentagonal Doric Temple, the dome supported by five
polished Labrador granite pillars, with spar in blue and green, surmounted by a bronze
eagle. On each of its sides will be the record in stone and bronze of one of the regiments of
the Brigade, so that the one programme of exercise wOl include the five regiments in the Brig-
ade The officers of the Brigade Association are: President, Major-General Sickles; Vice-Presi-
dents — First Excelsior, Colonel Daniel Mahem ; Second Excelsior, Colonel Rafferty, deceased ;
Third Excelsicr, General N. Taylor; Forth Excelsior, General Henry E. Tremaine; Fifth Ex-
celsior, General Charles K. Graham ; Secretary and Treasurer, Colonel John N. Coyne ;
Chaplains, Professor C. H. A. Buckley and Rev. Charles TwicheU, now an eminent divine of
Hartford, Ct. The Monument Committee are : First Regiment, Major W. J. Kay ; Second.
Colonel H. L. Potter; Third, Sergeant N. "VV. Leighton ; Fourth, Private William Sweeney;
Fifth, Major Willard Bullard. The regiments forming the Brigade were known as Excelsior
Regiments, were all recruited in New York City and vicinity, and as a Brigade took part in



the following battles : Yorktown, Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Glendale, Malvern Hill, Brandy
Station, Bull Run (1802), Chantilly, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Kelley's
Ford, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Tolopotomy, Cold Harbor, Peters-
Ijurg, Strawberry Plains, Deep Bottom, Poplar Springs Church and Boydton Road. The
1st Regiment went into action at Gettysburg with a total of o'.H't and lost 117; 2d Regiment
200, loss tU; od Regiment o05, loss 114; 5th Regiment 507, loss 1()2; 5tb Pv,egiment 275. loss 89.
The programme at the dedication will be : General Sickles, the presiding officer, will unveil
the Monument; Dr. Buckley, formerly Chaplain of the Isb Regiment, will deliver the prayer;
the Oration, by Dr. Twichell, will be followed by a poem, "Excelsior," by Dr. Buckley. Ap-
propriate musical selections will intervene. Colonel John N. Coyne, the Secretary of the
Brigade Association, will wear the medal of honor bestowed on him by Congress. The fol-
lowing representatives of each regiment will be at the ceremonies: 1st Regiment — Daniel E.
Sickles, Daniel Mahem, John N. Coyne, William S. May, Charles L. Young, J. F. Denniston,
M. J. Foote, A. Duflor, R. McKinstry. 2d Regiment — Henry L. Potter, W. A. Donaldson,
J. PoUer, H. Holmes, W. H. Elwood, J. J. Webb, B. Franklin, W. S. Requa. 3d Regiment
—Nelson Taylor, John Leonai-d, N. W Leighton. C. C. Abell, S. H. Bailey, H. Hemphill, L.
W. Norton, P. Anderson, 4th Regiment — H. E. Tremain, W. Sweeney, J. G. Noonan, C.
Wilson, M. Feeney, J. A. Kent, M. McCuUoch, F. Moran, P. Smith. 5th Regiment— C. K.
Graham, L. Purdy, W. Bullard, W, Lounsbury, W. B. MiUer, D. M. Watt, J. R. Ferret, W.
Conway, J. D. Stewart.

73d New York Infantry (2d Fire Zouaves and 4th Excelsior) will leave New York City
by special train on June 30, and remain on the battlefield until the evening of July 3, making
their headquarters at the Eagle Hotel. A strong delegation from Mansfield Post, G. A. R. ,
and the Veteran Associations of the Regiments will accompany the Fire Zouaves. Of the
survivors of the regiment the following expect to take part in the Gettysburg celebration :
Officers of the Association — President, William Sweeney ; Vice-President, Michael Feenj ;
Corresponding Secretary, John Ross; Financial Secretary, Alexander A. McClave ; Treas-
urer, John J. Ware; Sergeant-at-Arms, Henry A. Kraus; Trustees — Henry E. Tremainc,
John G. Noonan, John T. Lawrence, Thomas Fair, John Coffee ; Members — Patrick Boyle^
John Benson, William Bary, John Brady, John Bayne, John Brooks, William Buckle,
Daniel Crowley, James Conlan, Francis Collum, Peter J. Comber, Edward Corbery, John H
Doherty, John Downey, Christ. Dacey, H. Eckhart, James Forrest, Michael Gleason, William
Gleason, Lyman S. Green, Daniel Glacker, George Gibbins, Francis Gratlan, James P. Gill,
Thomas Graves, William H. Haley, Daniel Hurley, Patrick Hanlon, Daniel Judge, Joseph N.
Kent, Michael J. Keenan, Peter Kimmer, William T. Lackey, Elias Loyde, Owen Lewis, J.
H. Lesson, Christ. Lynch, C. K. Mellon, James J. Murphy, Richard Malone, Matthew McCol-
lough, John F. Mackey, T. McKeon, William McMenomey, Frank Moran, F. J. McDonald, Wil-
liam Nelson, James Owens, William E. Perkins, Michael T. Sullivan, Martin Short (Captain of
Brooklyn police), Frederick Shaln, Michael C. Shay, James Sheridan, Thomas Shannon.
George Thoner, Adolph Shepperd, John J. Smith, Elisha Thomas, M. H. Whistler, William
Weise, John Walsh. The Second New York Fire Zouaves, recruited chiefly from the Fire
Department of the city of New York, was organized May 3, ISGl, went into Camp Decker
Staten Island, and departed for the field on August 23, 1861. Its first duty was building forti.
fications and doing picket duty on the Eastern shore of Maryland, and its first engagemeat
near Stafford Court House, Va., in April, 1802. It was the first regiment to enter Yorktown,
and under Little Mac took part in the battles of Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Fair Oaks, Oak
Grove, Savage Station, Glendale and Malvern Hill. Under General Pope it fought at Bris-
tow Station, Second Bull Run and Chantilly, met Burnside at Fredericksburg, and Hooker
at Chancellorsville. At Gettysburg it held Barksdale's Mississippians in check until reinforce-
ments arrived after the Confederate attack on General Graham's forces. Its record is, in
fact, from that great day, that of the Army of the Potomac, and is a bright one. It was
mustered into the service as United States Volunteers and left for the seat of war as an in-
dependent organization, not being recognized by the State of New York. It formed part of
General Sickles' Brigade, and when the State finally concluded to accept the Brigade, on No-



vember 27, 1861, the officers received their commissions, and the regiment was thereaiter
known as the 73d New York Volunteers. The command left New York 800 strong, received
during its term of service 500 recruits and the V)'.]d New York Regiment, which was consoli-
dated with it in January, 1803. It was mustered out at Hart's Island, N. Y., June 29, 1865,
about 200 strong after a term of service of 4 years, 1 month and 27 days.

8Gth Nkw York Infantry, recruited from Chemung, Steuben, and Onondaga Counties,
was mustered in at Elmira in November, 1801, and passed through fire at Bull Run (1802),
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mme Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvauia, North
Anna, Tolopotomy, Cold H8,rbor, Petersburg, Deep Bottom and Boydton Road. It wiU
dedicate its Monument on Monday, July 2, at 3 p. m. Regimental line will be formed in front
of the Eagle Hotel at 2 p. M. , and after marching to the site the exercises will consist of : In-
vocation, by the Rev. and Captain H. B. Seeley; Unveiling and Presentation of the Monu-
ment, by a Representative of the New York State Commission; Acceptance of Monument, by
Colonel B. L. Higgins, President of theSGth Regiment Veteran Association ; Transfer of Monu-
ment to the Gettysburg Battlefield Memoral Association ; Acceptance, by a representative of the
Gettysburg Battli field Memorial Association; Oration, by Charles H. McMaster, Esq. The
Regimental Re-Union will follow the exercises on the field. The officers of the Association
are: President, Benjamin L. Higgins, Syracuse; Secretary, A. M. Dunham, Knoxville, Pa.;
Treasurer, C. H. Wombough, Horuellsville, N. Y. Monument Committee, Colonel B. L.
Higgins, Major S. H. Leavitt, Adjutant Charles W. GUlet.




-~^^^\r







'1-,^
W'^^

^^^






f^-



^







^ , ^*'^fc^^i£^»-i-*lSf'



15th New York Light Battery was organized in the City of New York in December,
1861, and its battle record notes its efficient service at Chancellorsville, Grettysljurg, Rappa-
hannock Station, Mine Run, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Tolopotomy, Bethesda Church and
Petersburg. At Gettysburg it was engaged in the Peach Orchard on July 2 and on Ceme-
tery Ridge on Julj' 3. The Monument will be dedicated in the Peach Orchard July 2 next.
The programme will be : Prayer ; Patriotic Airs, Mrs. Florence Rice-Knox and Miss Rilla E.
Bronson ; Address, Captain E. M. Knox, only surviving officer of the Battery ; Music.

Battery B, New York Artillery, will dedicate its Monument at 1 p. m. on July 3, the
Oration to be made by the Rev. W. M. Beauchamp. The Committee in charge of the dedi-
cation are : A. S. Sheldon, Chairman ; Sanf ord "Weeks, Treasurer , and John M. Scoville^
Secretary. They expect to take at least fifty persons in their party. Battery B was organ-
ized in BaldwinsviUe, Onondaga County, in August, 1861. Its first commander, Captain
Rufus D. Pettit, resigned May 31, 1863, and was succeeded by Captain A. S. Sheldon, who
was wounded at Gettysburg on July 3, and again at Bethesda Church, June 2, 1864. When
mustered out on account of his wounds, the command of the battery fell to Captain R. E.
Rogers, who held it until the close of the war.

68th Pennsylvania Infantry (Scott's Legion) will dedicate their Monument on July 2.
During the battle, on the highest crest of the exposed ridge at the Peach Orchard angle,
stood the 68th Pennsylvania Volunteers. This celebrated regiment, surnamed the Scott
Legion, was recruited in Philadelphia and vicinity, in the summer of 1862. Many of the offi-
cers and men were veterans of the Mexican War. In the exposed position occupied by this
regiment they were obliged to receive the full force of the enemy's artillery fire, wbii^h went
sweeping through their ranks, cutting down rows of men long before the infantry at this
point had become engaged. When Greneral Graham was wounded andcaftured at this point.



Colonel Tippin of the GSth, succeeded to the comiiiand of the Brigade. Both the Lieutenant-
Colonel and Major were wounded, and of the fourteen company officers, ten were killed®or
wouuded. Among the killed were Captain McLean and Lieutenants Black, Reynolds and
Ealei-. The programme arranged by the regiment is as follows : July 2— Assemble at Head-
quarters, house of John E. Pitzer, Chambersburg street, at 9 a. m. ; assemble at house of John
J. Sherfy, Peach Orchard Farm, at 2:30 P. M. ; Formation of line and march to Monument at
3 r. Ji. , sharp ; Introductory Remarks and Announcement of the Committees' Work, by Com-
rade Alfred Craighead, Secretary of Association; Unveiling of Monument, by Color Sergeant
of 6Sth P. V. V. , Comrade James McLarnon ; Prayer, by the Chaplain of the regiment. Rev.
William Fulton ; Oration, by Speaker of House of Representatives of Pennsylvania, Hon.
Henry K. Boyer ; History and Exploits of the Regiment and its Officers, and Presentation of
Monument to the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, by Captain Thomas H. Lea-



Online LibraryJohn TregaskisSouvenir of the re-union of the blue and the gray, on the battlefield of Gettysburg, July 1, 2, 3 and 4, 1888. How to get there, and what is to be done during the year → online text (page 4 of 29)