Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 10 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 10 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Kloman, in a wooden shed, in a suburb of
Pittsburgh, set up a forge and trip-hammer,
successfully making axles out of scrap, An-
drew Kloman, by his inventive genius, in-
venting one of superior quality. This was
the starting point. To supply the demand
for Kloman's axles, increased capital was
soon required, and $1,600 was invested by
Thomas N. Miller, who arranged that in
the enterprise he should be represented by
Henry Phipps. The Civil War brought
government contracts, and the original
crude plant proved inadequate. In 1863
was erected what was for those times an
extensive mill, and about this time Thomas
M. Carnegie, with funds said to have been
furnished by his brother Andrew, became
the business associate of Kloman, Phipps
& Miller. The world knows the rest — how
the company, by the magnificence of its
768




\



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



achievements, has caused the United States
to surpass Great Britain and every other
competing nation.

Among the various subsidiary corpora-
tions in which Mr. McCausland is in-
terested, is the Carnegie Land Company,
in which he is a director. He is also treas-
urer and director of the Clairton Steel Com-
pany, treasurer of the Union Steel Com-
pany, and a director in the Pittsburgh Life
and Trust Company. Ability to read the
future is one of Mr. McCausland's most
marked characteristics, and this, joined to
his accurate knowledge of men, renders his
official services peculiarly valuable, and has
enabled him to supply himself with as-
sistants who seldom fail to meet his expecta-
tions.

No citizen is more keenly alive to the
promotion of the welfare of Pittsburgh than
is Mr. McCausland, and while he has al-
ways been too busy a man to take any
active part in politics, nevertheless, as a
vigilant and attentive observer of men and
measures, he renders loyal support to all
movements which, in his judgment, make
for the betterment of existing conditions.
His political principles are those of a
staunch Republican. Ever ready to re-
spond to any deserving call made upon him,
he is widely but unostentatiously charitable.
He takes special interest in musical matters,
and for some years was president of the
Apollo Club, also belonging to the well
known Haydn Quartette, and filling the
place of tenor in the choir of the East Lib-
erty Presbyterian Church. His club mem-
bership is in the Country Club of Pitts-
burgh, the Duquesne Club, Bellefield Club,
Pittsburgh Athletic Association, and Penn-
sylvania Society of New York.

The clear mind and indomitable determi-
nation which, in combination with the
strictest integrity, have constituted the foun-
dation of Mr. McCausland's success, are
imprinted upon his countenance. He looks
what he is — a rapid-fire business man, of
keen vision, quick judgment and unfailing



self-reliance. It has often been said of him
that he glories in obstacles, and his extra-
ordinary success in overcoming them would
seem to corroborate the statement. Genial
and courteous on all occasions, and of
unswerving loyalty in friendship, he is be-
loved of many and respected by all.

Mr. McCausland married, February 9,
1893, Margaret Alice, daughter of Robert
L. and Annie (Bockstoce) Crouch, thus
gaining the life companionship of a charm-
ing and congenial woman, one fitted by
native refinement, a bright mind and a
thorough musical education, for the social
position she occupies, and withal possessed
of a perfect domesticity, a combination of
traits which renders her an ideal helpmate
for a man like Mr. McCausland, who is de-
voted to home life and home ties, and whose
strenuous duties imperatively demand that
he find at his own fireside a place of refuge
and repose. Both Mr. and Mrs. McCaus-
land delight in the exercise of hospitality,
and their beautiful residence in the East
End is a scene of much entertaining. Their
summer home, "Cedar Clifif," is a lovely
place on Wolfe Island, Canada.

Among the steel cities of the world, Pitts-
burgh is supreme. Her steel works and
blast furnaces give employment to seventy-
five thousand men, and have carried the
prestige of American industrial achievement
to the remotest ends of the earth. The city
owes this imperial era of her history to men
who, like radium, seem to possess the secret
of perpetual energy — such men as William
Clifton McCausland.



WALLACE, Robert L.,

Hdacator, Liavryer,

The Scotch-Irish descent of Robert L:
Wallace, of New Castle, Pennsylvania, is
traced to the Wallaces of Scotland and to
county Antrim, Ireland, where lived Rob-
ert and Mary (Knox) Wallace, whose sons
James, John, Robert and Samuel came to
America before the Revolution. They par-



769



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ticipated in that struggle for liberty, and
later scattered in Western Pennsylvania
and aided there in the establishment of
farms and homes, churches, courts and
modern civilized conditions. The profes-
sions of lavif and medicine have been favor-
ite ones in this family, while statesmen and
business men have also borne this honored
name. Farmers originally, many have con-
tinued in that occupation, and progressive,
prosperous agriculturists are not uncommon
in this family.

William Wallace, father of Robert L.
Wallace, was born in Lawrence county,
Pennsylvania, and was widely known, not
more for his extensive farming and stock
dealing operations than for his upright-
ness of character and the perfect fair-
ness observed in all his private business
transactions, and in the many public posi-
tions he filled.

Robert L., son of William and Esther
(McChesney) Wallace, was born in Pulaski
township, Lawrence county, Pennsylvania,
April 1 6, 1876. He attended the pubhc
schools, obtaining an excellent education,
then entered Poland (Ohio) Union Semi-
nary. Later he taught three school years,
and in the vacation intervals himself at-
tended summer schools, specializing in his
favorite branches. He then entered Grove
City College (Pennsylvania), where he was
graduated Ph. B., class of 1899. He then
taught in Darlington Academy (Beaver
county) one year, and for another year
was principal of the Enon Valley High
School (Lawrence county). All this pre-
paratory work had been with the law as his
final goal, and in 1901 he entered the law
office of Hon. J. Norman Martin, of New
Castle, continuing study under that able
preceptor until December, 1902, when he
was admitted to the Lawrence county bar,
and soon afterward to practice in the State
Supreme Court. He at once opened offices
in New Castle, where he is now well estab-
lished in a general practice extending to all
State and Federal courts in his district. He



is a member of the State and County Bar
Associations, and has attained a leading
position among the younger members of the
Lawrence county bar.

He is a Republican in politics, and has
always taken an active interest in public
affairs. In 1906 he was elected to the City
Council, and in 1907 was chosen president
of that body. In that year he was also a
delegate to the Republican State Conven-
tion and in 1908 was chosen to represent
Lawrence county in the House of the Gen-
eral Assembly. He made an honorable
record as a legislator, served on important
committees, and in 1910 was again elected
to the same office. During his two terms he
served on committees — judicial, general,
municipal, corporations, agriculture, and
was chairman of the iron and coal com-
mittee. He was not an ornamental member
of these committees, but a worker, influen-
tial in shaping and forwarding important
legislation. During his second term he was
one of the leaders of the Independent Re-
publicans of the House, and one of the
most aggressive members of that body of
men who carried their spirit of inde-
pendence, to the point of defiance of
machine domination. His service to his
State will not be unrewarded, and greater
honors from an appreciative constituency
surely await him. He is a member of the
United Presbyterian church, active in
church and Sunday school work. He stands
high in the Masonic order, holding the
thirty-second degree. Ancient Accepted
Scottish Rite.

He married, August 27, 1903, Edna,
daughter of Jonathan Freese of Indiana,
Pennsylvania. Children : William L.,
Robert Eugene and Esther Clare.



FULTON, Henry W.,

Physician, Philanthropist.

Among those benefactors of mankind
whose talents, in whatever direction they
may be exercised, are used for the relief



770



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and uplifting of humanity, there is no larger
class than that formed by the votaries of the
noble profession of medicine. Their close
study, their unwearied research, their cease-
less activity, are all for the relief of suf-
fering. The records of the physicians of
Pittsburgh form one of the brightest pages
of her history, but not one shines with a
purer lustre than does that of the late Dr.
Henry W. Fulton, who for thirty-five years
ministered with all the resources of his pro-
found learning and extraordinary skill to
the inhabitants of his home city.

Henry W. Fulton was born November 5,
1838, in Derry township, Westmoreland
county, Pennsylvania, and was a son of
Robert and Hannah (Bovard) Fulton, the
former a representative of one of the oldest
and largest families in the western part of
the Keystone State. The boy grew up on
the ancestral farm, and in youth became
prominent in church work, and was a mem-
ber of the choir in old Salem church. He
attended a select school in New Derry for
several terms, under the supervision of
Professor J. I. McCormick. He then
taught school for three winters. In 1859 he
became a student in Elders Ridge Academy.
In 1861 he dropped his studies and enlisted
on the first call for three months' troops, re-
enlisting for three years, September 16,
1 86 1, in Company K, 53rd Regiment Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, under command of Col-
onel John R. Brooks, afterwards major
general in the regular army, and chief of
staff of the United States Army.

Soon after his enlistment in the 53rd Reg-
iment he was selected for the signal service,
and January 3, 1862, he was detached from
the regiment and ordered to report at
Washington, and soon after was appointed
a sergeant in the Signal Corps. His intelli-
gence, high moral character and reliability
fitted him well for this especially hazardous
branch of the army, in which he served for
the remainder of his term of enlistment.
His record was an enviable one and is found
fully in the United States archives. He



frequently received honorable and special
mention — seven times in all — from his su-
perior officers, the chief signal officer re-
porting, "Sergeant H. W. Fulton as worthy
of especial mention for being attentive,
faithful and intelligent, doing his duty nobly
and sending messages rapidly and cor-
rectly." On one occasion a report from
Sergeant H. W. Fulton determined a move-
ment of the whole Army of the Potomac.
His observations were usually made from
a tall tree, where he was a target for the
sharp shooters of the army. Their bullets
often barked the tree close to his body,
while he used "the little flag that talked to
the commanders of the Union forces." Dr.
Fulton was a member of McPherson Post,
No. 117, G. A. R., and was a close student
of war literature, leaving a large number
of personal war records in the possession
of his wife.

Upon his discharge from the army he en-
tered the service of the Western Union
Telegraph Company as cashier and receiver
at its Pittsburgh office, which position he
held for some years. During this time he
pursued the study of medicine, and in 1872
he graduated from Hahnemann Medical
College, Philadelphia, cum laitdc, receiving
the degree of Doctor of Medicine, and at
once opened his office for practice in East
Liberty, where for a period of thirty-five
years he labored continuously, building up
a large and lucrative practice among all
classes of people, to whom he especially
endeared himself as a skillful and faithful
Christian physician. By his professional
brethren Dr. Fulton was highly esteemed,
being frequently consulted in the most difficult
cases, by reason of his reputation for sound
judgment combined with deep and com-
prehensive medical knowledge. With un-
usual professional experience he united
a charm of manner, a buoyant optim-
ism and a capacity for enduring friend-
ship that cause his memory to be
still cherished in many hearts. He was
earnestly devoted to his profession and



771



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



took a deep interest in the Homoeopathic
Hospital of Pittsburgh, with which he was
closely identified for many years. He was
also very highly respected by other schools
of medicine.

In all that concerned the welfare of Pitts-
burgh, Dr. Fulton's interest was deep and
sincere and wherever substantial aid would
further public progress, it was freely given.
Widely but unostentatiously charitable, no
good work done in the name of philanthropy
or religion appealed to him in vain. In
politics he was a Republican, and as a vigi-
lant and attentive observer of men and
measures, holding sound opinions and lib-
eral views, his ideas carried weight among
those with whom he discussed public prob-
lems. He affiliated with the Masonic fra-
ternity, belonged to numerous clubs and as-
sociations and was, from 1879 to the close
of his life, a ruling elder in the East Liberty
Presbyterian Church. He was also a direc-
tor of the Western Theological Seminary.
Not long before his death Dr. Fulton suc-
ceeded to the office of president of the El-
ders Ridge Alumni Association.

A highly intellectual man, of quick per-
ceptions and sharp discriminations. Dr. Ful-
ton looked the scholar. His high forehead
bore the stamp of intense thought and his
keen eyes — the eyes of a close observer-
shot through his spectacles glances the
searching quality of which was tempered
with the glint of humor. His patrician fea-
tures were accentuated by closely-cropped
moustache and beard and his whole aspect
indicated alike the theorist and the ex-
ecutant. He was a man of noble impulses
and remarkable force of character.

Dr. Fulton married, December 22, 1864,
Jennie B., daughter of James and Ruth
Ann Nichols, of Latrobe, Pennsylvania, and
his home life was one of rare beauty and
serenity. Mrs. Fulton is one of those rare
women who combine with perfect woman-
liness and domesticity an unerring judg-
ment, traits of the greatest value to her hus-
band, to whom she was not alone a charm-



ing companion but a trusted confidante. She
was in all respects a truly ideal helpmate to
Dr. Fulton, a man to whom the ties of home
and family were sacred — the objects of his
constant and most loyal devotion. Mrs.
Fulton has been a potent factor in Pitts-
burgh society and is very active in church
and charitable work.

On June 23, 1907, Dr. Fulton died, "full
of years and of honors." As the oldest and
most widely known physician of the East
End, he was deeply and sincerely mourned
by all classes of the community. Honor-
able in every relation of life and of the
highest professional reputation, he was a
true Christian gentleman. He was pre-
eminently the "Beloved Physician," and in
ministering to the needs of the body he
never missed an opportunity to minister to
the needs of the soul, never forgetting his
duty to his divine Master, and all classes
of people have testified to his genuine good-
ness and loveliness of character. Dr. Ful-
ton was very deeply interested in the cause
of foreign missions and gave largely of his
means to its support.

To comparatively few men has it been
given to serve their day and generation as
Dr. Henry W. Fulton was privileged to do.
In his early manhood he defended on the
battle field the integrity of the Union, and
his later years were devoted to the advance-
ment of science and the relief of suffering
humanity. Soldier — scholar — physician —
these few words contain both his record and
his eulogy.



DODD, Lee Wilson,

Author, Playwright.

The name of Dod or Dodd is of frequent
occurrence in American history from colo-
nial times down to the present. Many per-
sons of this name have rendered distin-
guished^ services to the nation, state or
colony, at different times during our his-
tory. As early as 1644, Daniel Dod was
at Branford, Connecticut; he had a wife



772



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Mary, whom he married about 1646, and
had children, all baptized at New Haven,
June I, 1651, namely: i. Mary Dod. 2.
Hannah Dod. 3. David Dod, born 1G49-
50. 4. Ebenezer Dod, born December 11,
165 1. 5. A daughter, born March 29, 1653,
died soon. 6. Stephen Dod, born February
16, 1655. 7. Samuel Dod, born May 2,
1657. His wife died May 26, 1657, and he
died in January, 1666, at Branford, Connec-
ticut. All of the sons except Stephen Dod
removed to Newark, New Jersey, in 1667
and the following years, where they settled
and received grants of land. It seems prob-
able that at the death of Daniel Dod, his
two eldest children, Mary and Hannah, or
Anna, were both married ; Mary, married
Aaron Blatchley, and she, together with her
brothers, Daniel, Ebenezer and Samuel,
came to Newark and settled there. Anna,
or Hannah, is supposed to have married a
Fowler, of Guilford, Connecticut, and to
have kept her younger brother Stephen with
her, so thus were the children separated.

Samuel Dod, the youngest child of Daniel
and Mary, was left motherless at three
weeks old, and fatherless at nine years old.
He came to Newark, New Jersey, with his
elder brothers and sister Mary Dod-Blatch-
ley in 1667 or 1668, and at a town meeting
held February 13. 1678-79, he then being
about twenty-two years old, was admitted
as a planter. He was assigned a home lot
at the northwest end of the town plot, next
to his brother Daniel's lot, on Watsesson,
or Watsessing Plain. Samuel Dod had
these lands confirmed to him by patent from
the proprietors, as we learn from the "Bell
in Chancery." In January, 1701-02. he was
chosen constable of the town, and his will,
dated February 3, 1712-13, proved in 1714,
is the earliest will of Dod on record in New
Jersey. He died aged about fifty-seven
years, and his will names his wife Martha,
together with two sons and five daughters,
namely: Samuel Dod, Jonathan Dod.
Mary Dod. Martha Dod, Rebecca Dod,



Susanna Dod, Hannah Dod, all minors at
the time of their father's death.

Levi L. Dodd, a descendant, lived at
Franklin, Venango county, Pennsylvania,
early in the nineteenth century. He married
Julia Parker, who had issue six sons and
two daughters — Parker, Thomas Anderson,
John H., Levi Axtell, Samuel Calvin Tate,
and Cyrus, Amelia and Sarah.

Levi Axtell Dodd was born at Franklin,
Pennsylvania. He was an officer in the
Civil War, 1861-1865. He was appointed
captain of the 169th Pennsylvania Infantry,
November 16, 1862 ; honorably mustered out
of service, July 25, 1863 ; appointed lieu-
tenant-colonel of the 2iith Pennsylvania
Infantry Regiment, September 16, 1S64;
colonel, April 4, 1865 ; brevetted brigadier-
general of volunteers, April 2, 1865, for
gallantry and meritorious service in the
assault upon the enemy's works in front of
Petersburg, Virginia, and August 4, 1865,
was honorably discharged.

Samuel Calvin Tate Dodd, son of Levi
L. and Julia (Parker) Dodd, was born
February 20, 1836, at Franklin, Venango
county, Pennsylvania. He was educated in
the local schools of his native town, and
attended Jefferson College at Canonsburg,
Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in
1857. From 1857 to 1859 he studied law
at Franklin, Pennsylvania, and was admit-
ted to the Pennsylvania bar during the latter
year. He practiced law at Franklin from
1859 to 1881 ; then became general solicitor
for the Standard Oil Company on January
I. 1 881 : organized the Standard Oil Trust
in 1882, and continued as attorney for the
company until his death. He was a mem-
ber of the Constitutional Convention of



187



for Pennsylvania ; was elected as a



delegate-at-large from Franklin, Venango
county, Pennsylvania, and was an active
member in securing a number of amend-
ments to that constitution. He was a Dem-
ocrat of the anti-Rryan wing on the "Free-
Silver Issue" of 1896 and 1900. He was



-72,



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



the author of "Uses and Abuses of Combi-
nations," a pamphlet pubHshed in 1888;
likewise of a "History of the Standard Oil
Company," issued in 1888; also an article
on "Trusts," published in the "New York
Tribune" in 1890. He wrote "Ten Years
of Standard Oil Trust," published in "The
Forum," May, 1893; "Aggregated Capital,"
a pamphlet issued in 1893, and "The Pres-
ent Legal Status of Trusts," which ap-
peared in the October number, 1893, of the
"Harvard Law Review." He died in 1907,
in Pinehurst, North Carolina. He married
(first) Mary E. Geer, July 12, 1862, at
Waterford, Pennsylvania, and married
(second) Melvina Eliza Smith, March 8,
1877, at Cambridge, Pennsylvania. She was
born in Erie, Pennsylvania, died in 1906,
and had issue, among others, a son, of
whom more hereafter.

Lee Wilson Dodd, son of Samuel Calvin
Tate and Melvina Eliza (Smith) Dodd, was
born July 11, 1879, at Franklin, Venango
county, Pennsylvania. The family moved
to New York City shortly after his birth.
He attended private schools in New York
City, where he prepared for college, enter-
ing the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale
University, from which he graduated as
B. S. in the class of 1899. Afterward he
studied law at the New York Law School,
and graduated therefrom as LL. B. in 1902.
He was admitted to the New York bar the
same year, and began practice with his
father in New York, and continued in law
practice about five years, when he gave up
the profession for a more congenial career
as author and playwright. The first play
that he wrote was called "The Return of
Eve," produced in 1908 by the Shuberts in
New York. He is the author of another
play called "Speed," staged 191 1 in New
York with considerable success. He has
written many short stories for magazines,
and miscellaneous verses, and in 1906
published a book of poems, "A Modern
Alchemist."

He married Marion Roberts Canby,



daughter of Edward T. and Ella A. (Sei-
del) Canby, January 11, 1907, at Wilming-
ton, Delaware. She was born November
23, 1882, at Wilmington, Delaware, and is
descended from old Quaker and Pennsyl-
vania Dutch ancestry.

Mr. Dodd does not affiliate with any par-
ticular church, and is an Independent in
politics. He is a member of the Yale and
the Lambs clubs of New York City, and of
the Elizabethan Club of New Haven, Con-
necticut.



WATSON, Richard,

lia^ryer, Judge, Banker.

The memory of Judge Richard Watson ^
is cherished in his home county of Bucks as
a great-hearted, public-spirited man, un-
spoiled by place or power. He came of a
family that had been associated with the
affairs of Bucks county almost from its
foimding.

Thomas Watson, the great-great-great-
grandfather of Judge Watson, was born and
reared near the border line between Eng-
land and Scotland, at High Moor, County
Cumberland. He was a son of John and
Elizabeth Watson, who were among the
earhest converts of George Fox, and be-
longed to the great middle class of English
commoners. Here Thomas Watson mar-
ried, at Cockermouth Friends Meeting,
June 14, 1696, EHnor Pearson, of County
Westmoreland, and a few years later
migrated to Pennsylvania, bringing a certifi-
cate from the Friends at Pardsay Crag still
in possession of the family of Judge Wat-
son. They settled in 1701 in Bristol town-
ship, Bucks county, but in 1704 Thomas
Watson purchased 400 acres of land in
Buckingham, three miles southeast of the
present site of Doylestown, being then, to
quote the language of a deed of about the
same date, "back in the woods." This tract
with later additions aggregating practically
1,000 acres was the home -of the family for
several generations. Thomas Watson be-



774



I





^A



i J^isf^rie^/^aLi- ±



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



came at once one of tlie factors in building
up Penn's colony in the wilderness. He had
received a liberal education for his time, in
England, and possessed of some knowledge
of surgery and medicine, he undertook to
minister to suffering humanity in the wild-
erness, and eventually practiced medicine to
a considerable extent with marked success,
until succeeded by his son whom he edu-
cated for that purpose. He was one of the
justices of the county court, and several



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 10 of 58)