Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 19 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 19 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Dr. Roedel married, December 2, 1858,
Susan, daughter of Rev. Jonathan Ruth-
raufl:, pastor of Zion Lutheran Church at
Lebanon, Pennsylvania. The family con-
sists of a son and three daughters. The
former, after graduating from the Philadel-
phia College of Pharmacy, read medicine
and graduated from the University of Penn-
sylvania and is now practicing at home.
The daughters are: Mary E., Emma M.,
and A. Louisa, who is married to Rev.
George Fulton, a Presbyterian clergj'man
now located at jMechanicsburg ; they have
three children — Henry, Francis and George
Jr.



COCHRAN, Richard Ellis,

Iiife Under-writer, Financier.

The activity of Richard Ellis Cochran in
the business world has conclusively proved
him to be one of the representative citizens
of the community. His family is an ancient
one, and a brief record of the earlier gener-
ations is of interest in connection with the
life work of Mr. Cochran.

The name is derived from the Barony of
Cochrane, in Renfrewshire, Scotland. In
the reign of Alexander III., Warden de
Cochrane was a witness to grants of land in
county Argyll, made by Dongal, son of
Swaine, to the Earl of Monteith, and his
successor swore fealty to Edward I. of Eng-
land. William Cochrane obtained from
Queen Mary charters of the land and Bar-
ony of Cochrane, which became the family
seat. Sir William Cochrane, of Cowden,
was devoted to Charles I., was raised to the



824



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



peerage as Baron Cochrane, of Dundonald,
and was created Lord Cochrane, of Paisley
and Ochiltree. John Cochrane, one of the
descendants of the Earl of Dundonald,
crossed to the North of Ireland in 1570, and
his great-great-great-grandsons, James, Ste-
phen and David, emigrated to America and
were the progenitors of the Cochran fam-
ilies in this country, the final "e" having
been dropped long before. A settlement
was made in what is now known as Coch-
ranville, Chester county, Pennsylvania.
John, a son of James Cochran, removed to
Delaware, near Middletown, and married
Mary Ellis.

Dr. Richard E. Cochran, son of John and
Mary (Ellis) Cochran, was born Septem-
ber I, 1785, and died in Columbia, Lancas-
ter county, Pennsylvania, during the cholera
epidemic of 1854. He was graduated from
the University of Pennsylvania in 1810, and
was an active participant in the War of
1812. He was a physician in Middletown
and Wilmington, Delaware, until early in
1824, when he removed to Columbia. He
was a member of the Delaware Assembly,
1822-23, and in 1836 was a Henry Clay
elector for Lancaster county, being an ar-
dent Whig. In the same year he was a mem-
ber of the Reform Convention which
amended the constitution. Dr. Cochran
married Eliza F., a daughter of Dr. Thomas
Evans, and had: i. Thomas E., lawyer,
State Senator in 1840-43, Auditor-General
of Pennsylvania in 1859, and member of
the State Constitutional Convention of
1872-73. 2. John Jefferson, of further men-
tion. 3. Lieutenant Richard E., of the regu-
lar army in Florida and among the Indians
of Arkansas and Kansas ; served under
General Taylor in the Mexican War, and
fell at Resaca de la Palma, just after he
had entered the intrenchments captured
from the Mexicans. 4. Theodore D., jour-
nalist, soldier and statesman, editor of the
"Columbia Spy" and "The Old Guard";
member of the Legislature, 1844-45 ; lieu-
tenant of volunteers in the Mexican War;



captain during the Civil War. 5. Mary
Frances.

John Jefferson Cochran, son of Dr. Rich-
ard E. and Eliza F. (Evans) Cochran, was
bom in Wilmington, Delaware, December
20, 1816, and died May 12, 1879. He was
a child when his parents removed to Co-
lumbia, Pennsylvania, and he learned the art
of printing in the office of the "Columbia
Spy," then edited by his brother. In asso-
ciation with his brother, Theodore D., he
continued the publication of the "York Re-
publican" until 1852, having purchased this
paper when he removed to York in 1835.
He then- sold the paper, having been appoint-
ed to the office of postmaster of York in the
meantime, and filled this office until 1853,
when he removed to Lancaster and became
identified with coal mining operations at
Shamokin under the firm name of Cochran,
Peale & Company. Later, in association
with his brother, he purchased and published
several other papers, having during this
period been appointed postmaster of Lan-
caster by President Lincoln, an office he held
until 1868. He was then appointed news-
paper clerk in the House of Representatives
at Washington, D. C, holding this office
until it was abolished. Subsequently he
again engaged in the editing and publica.-
tion of various papers, and was identified
with this class of work until failing health
obliged him to abandon it in the fall of
1878. Mr. Cochran married, in October,
1839, Catherine, born at York, Pennsyl-
vania, 1818, died there in 1884, a daughter
of Thomas and Catherine (Gartwan)
Baumgardner, of German descent. Chil-
dren: Thomas Baumgardner, editor and
statesman, married Anna Margaret Pear-
sol ; Richard ElHs, whose name heads this
sketch ; Elizabeth Frances, Ellen Louisa,
and Anna May, died in infancy; Catherine
C, died at the age of seventeen years; John
Jacob, died in infancy; Henry Baumgard-
ner, one of the proprietors of "The Exam-
iner" ; Alma, married Schreiner ;

Alice B., married Charles R. Morrell, of



82s



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Merchantville, New Jersey; John Jacob, a
coal merchant of Lancaster, married Anna
Keller; Flora May, deceased, married
James A. Romeyn, of Hackensack, New
Jersey ; Elizabeth G., deceased ; Ella Louisa,
died young.

Richard Ellis Cochran, son of John Jef-
ferson and Catherine (Baumgardner) Coch-
ran, was born at York, York county, Penn-
sylvania, June 24, 1849, and was educated
in public and private schools of New York
and Lancaster counties. He was still very
young when he learned the printers' trade in
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and later became
interested in coal mining operations very
largely from which he retired in 1873. He
then engaged in the life insurance business,
becoming associated with the United States
Life Insurance Company of New York, and
was advanced from time to time until in 1912
he became third vice-president and a direc-
tor of this company at New York, with
offices at No. 2"]"] Broadway, New York
City. His business career has been a most
successful one, and he is connected with a
number of other financial and industrial
corporations. He is president and director
of the National Dairy Supply Company of
America; vice-president and director of the
Hygeia Ice Company of New Jersey ; direc-
tor of the Crex Carpet Company ; trustee of
the Empire City Savings Bank of New
York; was elected president of the Life
Underwriters' Association of New York
City in 1896; and elected president of the
National Association of Life Underwriters
in America, in 1898.

Mr. Cochran married, at Philadelphia,
November 4, 1875, Annie Geise, born in
Philadelphia, January 21, 1857, a daughter
of George Bockins, and a descendant of an
old family of Philadelphia. Children: i.
Elizabeth Bockins, born in Philadelphia, Oc-
tober 15, 1876; married, June 5, igo2, Wil-
liam E. Bliss, president of the E. A. Bliss
Company, of Meriden, Connecticut. 2.
Ethel, born in Philadelphia, August 31,
1882 ; married, June 5, 1902, Ward Coe



Pitkins, and resides in Englewood, New
Jersey. Children: Ward Coe, Ehzabeth F.
and George DeWitt. 3. Helen B., born at
Englewood, New Jersey, November 15,
1886; married John Forsyth Jr., of that
town, and has one child : Helen.

Mr. Cochran is a member of the First
Presbyterian Church of Englewood, New
Jersey, where he has resided a number of
years, and is a member of the Blue Lodge,
No. -144, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Philadelphia. He was appointed chief of
staff to General Horace Porter, of New
York City, in the great McKinley campaign
parade of 1896; was on the staff of General
Horace Porter, with the rank of brigadier-
general, in the McKinley inaugural parade
at Washington, March 4, 1897, being in
command of the Second Brigade, Third
Division ; and was in command of the Third
Division of the McKinley-Roosevelt in-
augural parade, at Washington, March 4,
1901, with the rank of major-general. He
is a Republican, and a member of the Re-
publican Club of New York. His social
affiliations are with the Englewood Field
Club and the Union League Club, of Ber-
gen county ; Automobile Club of America,
and the Pennsylvania Society of New York
City.



MARTIN, J. Rankin,

IiBTryer, Financier.

Beaver county, Pennsylvania, figures as
one of the most attractive, progressive and
prosperous divisions of the State, justly
claiming a high order of citizenship and a
spirit of enterprise which is certain to con-
serve consecutive development and marked
advancement in the material upbuilding of
this section. The county has been and is
signally favored in the class of men who
have contributed to its development along
commercial and professional lines, and in the
latter connection the subject of this review
demands recognition, as he has been actively
engaged in the practice of law at Beaver



826



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Falls since 1882. He is financially interested
in a number of important business enter-
prises in Beaver county, and his honorable
and straightforward methods demonstrate
the power of activity and honesty in the
business world.

J. Rankin Martin was born in Darlington,
Beaver county, Pennsylvania, January 14,
1852, son of James P. and Mary C.
(Imbrie) Martin, both of whom were born
in Beaver county and both of whom are
now deceased. The Martin and Imbrie fam-
ilies are descended from stanch Scotch
stock. James P. Martin was engaged in
farming operations in the vicinity of Dar-
lington, during the greater part of his active
career, and he was a stalwart Republican
in his political convictions. From 1876 to
1878 he served as sheriff of his county, and
he acquitted himself with honor and distinc-
tion in discharging the duties connected with
that office. He and his wife were devout
United Presbyterians in their religious faith.
They reared a family of eight children.

Under the invigorating influence of the
old homestead farm, J. Rankin Martin was
reared to maturity, and his rudimentary
educational training consisted of such ad-
vantages as were afforded in the public
schools of his native place. Subsequently
he attended Darlington Academy, and after
completing the curriculum of that institu-
tion he was engaged in teaching school for
a period of four years, at the expiration of
which he was matriculated as a student in
Westminster College, which he attended for
two years. In 1876 he was appointed deputy
sheriff by his father and he served as such
for three years, when he entered the law
offices of Agnew & Buchanan, under whose
able preceptorship he studied law. He was
admitted to practice at the Pennsylvania
State bar, February 6, 1882, and imme-
diately located at Beaver Falls, where he
has devoted the major portion of his time
and attention to a large and lucrative client-
age during the long intervening years to
the present time, in 1912. He is counsel for



a number of prominent business concerns
in this section of the State, and his practice
extends to all State and Federal courts. In
connection with the work of his profession
he is a valued and appreciative member of
the Beaver County Bar Association and the
Pennsylvania State Bar Association.

Mr. Martin is a decidedly prominent fac-
tor in business and banking circles in this
county. He is vice-president of the Farm-
ers' Bank at Beaver, a member of the board
of directors of the Beaver Trust Company,
and director in the Citizens' National Bank
at Monaca, Pennsylvania, in addition to
which he is likewise interested in a number
of other business enterprises of local impor-
tance.

In politics he is an uncompromising Re-
publican, and he has served as a member of
the Republican county committee for many
years. On various occasions he has been
chosen as a delegate to State conventions,
and in 1883 he was honored by his fellow
citizens with election to the office of prose-
cuting attorney for Beaver county. He was
incumbent of that office for the ensuing six
years. In 1905 he was nominated on the
Republican ticket for the office of county
judge, but met defeat at the following elec-
tion as the result of a combination. In the
Masonic order he has passed through the
circle of the Scottish Rite branch, and is a
thirty-second degree Mason.

Mr. Martin was married, October 21,
1880, to Miss Anna M. Eakin, who was
bom in Beaver county, and who was a
daughter of John R. and Margaret (Mitch-
ell) Eakin, prominent residents of Beaver.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin became the parents
of three daughters: Helen, the wife of Oli-
ver C. Hurst, of Beaver Falls; Margaret,
wife of Frank M. Hoover, of Pittsburgh;
and Mary, wife of Robert C. Mayer, of
New York City. Mrs. Martin was sum-
moned to the life eternal March 22, 1910,
and her remains are interred in the Beaver
cemetery. She was a woman of most
gracious personality and her death is uni-



827



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



formly mourned throughout her home com-
munity.

Mr. Martin is a United Presbyterian in
rehgious faith, and is an active factor in
church and Sunday school work. He is a
man of fine mentahty and broad human
sympathy; always courteous, kindly and
afifable and those who know him personally
accord him the highest esteem. His life has
been exemplary in all respects, and he has
ever supported those interests which are
calculated to uplift and benefit humanity,
and his own splendid moral worth is deserv-
ing of the highest commendation. He is a
member of the Beaver County Country
Club.



ROTT, Louis,

Financier, Man of Affairs.

Prominent and progressive ! Two words
full of comprehensive meaning which be-
long, by right of their achievements, to the
men who have made, and are still making,
the greatness and the fame of Pennsylvania.
To none could they be applied with more ab-
solute fidelity to truth than to the late Louis
Rott, President of the First National Bank
of Marshall, and officially connected with a
mimber of the important industrial and
financial institutions of his home city. Dur-
ing the thirty years of his residence in
Homestead, Mr. Rott was conspicuously
identified with the growth of its best inter-
ests and with the maintenance of its con-
sequent prosperity and prestige.

Christian Rott, grandfather of Louis Rott,
was a native of Germany, where his entire
life was spent. He was a resident of the
town of Isenhutte, where he was manager
of iron works and occupied a position of
influence. He married and had children.

Christian, son of Christian Rott, served
for a time as a soldier in the German army
and then studied veterinary surgery. Later
he was employed in the silver mines be-
longing to the father of the celebrated spe-
cialist, Dr. Koch, and was also engaged in



making blacksmith's tools. In 1850 he emi-
grated to the United States, settling in Pitts-
burgh, becoming the first toolmaker in what
was then Crogansville and is now the
Twelfth Ward. He afterward accepted a
position with Newmyer & Grafi^, with whom
he remained until his retirement from active
work. He was a member of the Lutheran
Church on High street. Mr. Rott married,
in Germany, Louisa Heiseike, and a native
like himself of the duchy of Brunswick.
Their children were: Frederick, of Pitts-
burgh ; Christian Z. F., at one time a mem-
ber of the firm of George A. MacBeth &
Company, and now of California; Louis,
mentioned below ; and another son who died
early in life. The death of Christian Rott
occurred in 1875, in Pittsburgh. He was
a man most estimable in all the relations of
life, taking special interest in the education
of his children and in preparing them to
enter the world of business.

Louis, son of Christian and Louisa (Hei-
seike) Rott, was born October 22, 1844, in
Badenhausen, Brunswick, Germany, and
was six years old when brought by his par-
ents to the United States. His education
was obtained in the schools of Pittsburgh,
and at the age of fourteen he began an ap-
prenticeship to the drug business in the re-
tail store of W. J. Radcliff. After serving
five years he was received into partnership,
but one year thereafter the business was
closed. Mr. Rott was then associated for
sixteen years with the firm of B. L. Fahne-
stock & Company, wholesale druggists, ac-
quiring during this period a thorough knowl-
edge of every detail of the business and de-
veloping those remarkable executive abilities
for which he was ever afterward distin^
guished.

In 1882 Mr. Rott removed to Homestead,
where he opened a retail drug store on the
corner of Ann street and Eighth avenue,
and soon found himself at the head of a
flourishing business. It was not long before
he became a man of influence in the com^
munity, and his talents for finance did not



828




::^L>6^4^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



long fail of recognition. In 1888 he assisted
in organizing the First National Bank of
Homestead, becoming its first cashier, sub-
sequently he was elected vice-president, and
finally president. By his wise administra-
tion of this oflfice he became widely known
as a financier of great sagacity and much
aggressive ability, one in the inmost circle
of those closest to the business concerns and
financial interests which most largely con-
served the growth and progress of the city.

A man of action rather than words, Mr.
Rott demonstrated his public spirit by actual
achievements which advanced the wealth
and prosperity of the community. He was
connected with the Homestead Brick Com-
pany, the Homestead Baking Company, and
the Mifflin Land and Improvement Com-
pany, and was one of the organizers of the
Homestead Building and Loan Association,
serving twenty years as its secretary. He
was also secretary of the Homestead Ceme-
tery Company. These are but a few of the
many enterprises in which he was financially
interested and his duties toward each were
faithfully discharged. To whatever he
undertook he gave his whole soul, allowing
none of the many trusts reposed in him to
suffer for want of close and able attention
and industry.

As a citizen) with exalted ideas of good
government and civic virtue Mr. Rott stood
in the front rank. Always an uncompromis-
ing Republican, he was one of those who,
in 1872, voted for Horace Greeley, and was
a member of the Republican committee from
the time of the incorporation of that body.
For ten years he was treasurer of the bor-
ough of Homestead, served for three years
as school director and secretary of the
school board, and for two terms represented
his ward in the city council. In igo6 he
was elected burgess, and made the first
annual report ever made by a Homestead
burgess. He served for three years as coun-
cilman in Bellevue. In 191 1 he was elected
as school director for a term of six years.
He was active in fraternal circles, affiliating



with Homestead Lodge, No. 582, Free and
Accepted Masons; Magdala Lodge, No. 991,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows ; Boaz
Council, Royal Arcanum; Amity Conclave,
Heptasophs ; Lincoln Castle, Ancient Order
of Knights of Mystic Chain; also the
Knights of Pythias, and Shiloh Chapter.
He was one of the organizers of Magdala
Lodge, the first lodge of its order in Home-
stead, and for many years served as its
secretary. He and Mr. An-dress selected
the name and were successful in erecting, at
an expense of $40,000, what was then the
finest lodge hall in Pennsylvania. He also
helped to organize Homestead Lodge, in
which he attained the rank of past master.
He was past exalted ruler of the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks, belonged to
the Golden Eagles, and Andress Encamp-
ment and was a member of the Grand
Lodge of Pennsylvania. He was one of the
founders of the Gervaise Commandery of
the Knights of Malta. Mr. Rott was bap-
tized in the Lutheran Church in Germany,
but after removing to Homestead became a
member of St. Matthew's Protestant Epis-
copal Church, in which he served for many
years as senior warden. No good work
done in the name of charity or religion
sought his cooperation in vain, and in his
work of this character he brought to bear
the same discrimination and thoroughness
that were manifest in his business life.

The personality of Mr. Rott was that of
a great-brained and large-hearted man,
genial, sympathetic, and withal forceful and
aggressive. He was beloved by his em-
ployes, his conduct toward whom was ever
marked by the strictest justice and the most
considerate kindliness, and his sterling qual-
ities of manhood commanded the respect
of the entire community. Sincere and true
in his friendships, he was a man who drew
men to him and irradiated the ever-widening
circle of his influence with the brightness of
spirit that expressed the pure gold of char-
acter.

Mr. Rott married (first) July 19, 1876,



829



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGR.\PHY



Arabella Jeannette, daughter of Robert and
Ann (Lafferty) McCandless. The former
was one of the incorporators of St. James'
Protestant Episcopal Church. Mr. and
Mrs. Rott were the parents of the follow-
ing children: Louis Edwin, connected with
the First National Bank of Munhall ; Rob-
ert George, clerk of the Carnegie Steel Com-
pany ; Charles Henry, deceased ; Albert
John, of marked artistic ability in various
directions ; and another son who died in
infancy. Mrs. Rott was before her mar-
riage principal of the Sixteenth Ward school
and an active worker in church circles. She
died November 28, 1889. Mr. Rott mar-
ried (second) his sister-in-law, Margaret
Virginia McCandless, a thoughtful, clever
woman of culture and character, and in all
respects fitted to be to her husband an ideal
helpmate. Mr. Rott was devoted in his
family relations and delighted to entertain
his friends. His beautiful home was a cen-
ter of hospitality, Mrs. Rott being one of
the city's most charming and tactful
hostesses. The whole family are extremely
popular in Pittsburgh society.

The death of Mr. Rott, which occurred
March 31, 1913, deprived the Keystone
State of one whose business talents were of
the highest order and who had long stood
before the community as a splendid type of
the citizen whose interests are broad and
whose labors are a manifestation of a recog-
nition of the responsibilities of wealth as
well as of ability in the successful control
of commercial afifairs. His public and pri-
vate life were one rounded whole, two per-
fect parts of a symmetrical sphere and over
the record of his career there falls no
shadow of wrong nor suspicion of evil.

Louis Rott was of the finest type of Ger-
man-American citizen, true to his native
land and loyal to his adopted country.
Homestead remembers him with gratitude,
and his name will live in the annals of Penn-
sylvania as that of one of the representative
men of the grand old Commonwealth.

8



EDMONDS, "Walter G.,

Real Estate and Insurance.

In a growing community, the field which
is often most alluring to business, is real
estate investment, and it is in this channel
that the efforts of Walter G. Edmonds have
been directed, and, happily, with no small
success.

He was born in Bellaire, Ohio, May i,
1882, son of Charles N. and Laura May
(AWick) Edmonds. His education was ob-
tained in the public schools of Bellaire and
Fostoria, and he was graduated from the
high school of Muncie, Indiana, in 1899.
His father's business was glass manufactur-
ing, the pursuit of which took him to
Muncie, Indiana, and later to Washington,
Pennsylvania. Here both father and son
were connected with the Perfection Glass
Company, the former as sketch holder and
superintendent, the latter as designer.

Abandoning the glass business, Mr. Ed-
monds was employed by the A. B. Caldwell
Company Department Store for three years.
At the end of that time, in 1907, he estab-
lished a real estate and insurance office,
conducting all branches of each, including
buying, selling and renting real estate both
in and outside of Washington, and the writ-
ing of all kinds of insurance policies — life,
fire and accident. His business has grown
rapidly and is conducted with the best class
of people. His private interests are as
owner of Washington county and Ohio coal
lands and Washington real estate, and as
treasurer of the Washington Drug Com-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 19 of 58)