Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 23 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 23 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mr. Lentz now devotes much of his time to
hunting and fishing, with an ardor which
cannot be surpassed by men much his
juniors in point of years. He is also as
enthusiastic as ever in the matter of ball
playing, and while he no longer actively in-
dulges in this, he takes the keenest pleasure
in it as a spectator. He maintains a fine
suite of rooms at the American Hotel,
Mauch Chunk, and delights in taking long
and frequent tramps through the beautiful
country near him.

Mr. Lentz married Mary Swartz, who
died in 1879. She was a daughter of John
Swartz, a farmer and hotel proprietor of
Northampton county. They had children :
John, James and La Fayette, who died in
infancy ; William O., who has succeeded his
father in the latter's business operations;
Horace De Y., an attorn ey-at-law.



LENTZ, Horace De Y.,

Iiavtryer.

Horace De Y. Lentz, attorney and coun-
sellor-at-law in Carbon county, Pennsyl-
vania, has long been recognized as a force-
ful factor in the community interests. Few
men are more widely known in Mauch
Chunk, for he has taken a leading part in
professional, political and social circles. He
is public-spirited, and thoroughly interested
in whatever tends to advance the welfare
of his city, and his connection with its
affairs has proven of far-reaching and bene-
ficial effect. The early history of his fam-
ily will be found in detail in the sketch of
his father. La Fayette Lentz.

Horace De Y. Lentz was born in Mauch



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Chunk, Pennsylvania, February 24, 1867.
The public schools of his native town fur-
nished his elementary education, and from
them he went to the Preparatory School for
Lehigh University at Bethlehem, Pennsyl-
vania ; Adams Academy, Quincy, Massa-
chusetts; and Harvard University, from
which he was graduated in the class of 1891
with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He
took up the study of law in the fall of 1893
in the offices of L. H. Barber and Frederick
Bertolette, and was admitted to practice at
the bar of Carbon county in 1896. Since
that time he has been devoted to his pro-
fessional work, in which he has met with
unqualified success. For some time he has
been a member of the examining committee
of the Carbon county bar. He is a mem-
ber of the University Club of Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania.

He married, in 1893, Jennie McCreary
Alsover, daughter of the late Jabez Alsover,
a prominent member of the Carbon and
Luzerne bars, and of Hannah (Dodson)
Alsover. Mr. Lentz is a brilliant and forci-
ble speaker, and he is a representative of
that class of American citizens who, while
they promote individual success, also ad-
vance the general prosperity. To-day, in
the ver}' prime of life, he stands strong in
the consciousness of years already well
spent, and strong to plan and perform in
the future.



LACOCK, John Kennedy,

Educator, Antlior.

John Kennedy Lacock, of Amity, Penn-
sylvania, was born in that State, at Ten
Mile, Washington county, November 16,
1871, son of Isaac Clark and Kate (Bell)
Lacock. His father was a farmer by occu-
pation; he saw Civil War service as a sol-
dier in Company D, 140th Regiment Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, and was wounded in the
second-day fight of the battle of Gettysburg.

John Kennedy Lacock received his pri-



mary education in the common schools, and
was subsequently a student in Washington
and Jefferson College, from which he re-
ceived the degree of Bachelor of Arts in
1901, and Harvard University, from which
he received that of Master of Arts in 1906.

For years prior to entering college he
taught school in the public schools of Wash-
ington county. From 1901 to 1904 he was
assistant principal in Jefferson Academy,
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. During the col-
legiate year of 1907-1908 he was assistant
to Professor Albert Bushnell Hart, in Amer-
ican Diplomacy, at Harvard University.

Mr. Lacock is an active member of vari-
ous scientific and literary bodies — the Amer-
ican Historical Association, the American
Political Science Association, the American
Society of International Law, the National
Geographical Society, and the Historical
Society of Western Pennsylvania, and also
the Harvard Club of Western Pennsylvania.
He has made valuable contributions to his-
torical literature, notable among them : "The
Whiskey or Western Insurrection," "Brad-
dock's Military Road" (Cumberland, Md.,
to Braddock, Pa.) and "Forbes's Military
Road" (from Bedford to Pittsburgh). On
these roads he has conducted research par-
ties on foot, with a view to preserving to
posterity the location of these once famous
highways across the Allegheny mountains.
He is a Presbyterian in religion, and a Re-
publican in politics.



DAVIES, Franklin A.,

liaivyer, Public Official.

Prominent among the successful and emi-
nent members of the Susquehanna county
bar, noted for their legal attainments
and ability of a high order, must be men-
tioned Franklin A. Davies, of Montrose,
whose birth occurred in Clifford township,
Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, July
31, 1 861, son of Thomas R. and Jane (Pow-
ell) Davies, natives of Wales, from which



850



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



country Thomas R. Davies emigrated when
about fifteen years of age, thereafter mak-
ing his home in this country, conforming to
its laws and principles, and becoming a use-
ful citizen, aiding in the development and
welfare of the communities in which he
resided.

Franklin A. Davies obtained an excellent
education in the select school at Clifford
and the Wyoming Seminary, and after com-
pleting his course of study placed himself
under the competent instruction of his
brother, the late Thomas J. Davies, born
June 4, 1853, died in June, 1909. Thomas
J. Davies began the study of law in 1880,
and two years later was admitted to the
Susquehanna county bar, and formed a
partnership with the late E. L. Blakeslee,
which continued for about five years, and
later as a law partner with Frank Lusk. He
had such an extensive practice that he was
not only engaged in his home county but
was frequently called to Lackawanna, Lu-
zerne and Bradford counties in the trial of
cases, and was a familiar figure in the Su-
perior and Supreme Courts of the State,
and had appeared in the trial of cases in
the United States Supreme Court, being
the only member of the county bar honored
by admission to that court. With such a
teacher, Franklin A. Davies progressed
rapidly in his study of the law and was ad-
mitted to the Susquehanna county bar in
1908. He at once engaged in the active
practice of his profession in Montrose, and
is now in charge of the legal affairs of an
extensive clientele. He is endowed by
nature with strong mentality, and well
equipped for his chosen profession by thor-
ough study and wide research, therefore he
has gained prominence in his special field
of labor. His energies are not entirely
confined to the practice of law, as he is
serving in the capacity of president of the
Susquehanna County Agricultural Society,
president of the Susquehanna Bible Society,
chairman of the County Farmers' Institute,



and member of the State Board of Agricul-
ture. In 1908 he was elected justice of the
peace, the duties of which office he per-
formed in a highly creditable manner. He
is a member of Warren Lodge, No. 240,
Free and Accepted Masons ; Warren Chap-
ter, No. 180, Royal Arch Masons; Great
Bend Commandery, No. 27, Knights Temp-
lar ; and Montrose Lodge, No. 151, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, of which
he is noble grand.

Mr. Davies is greatly interested in edu-
cation, having taught school for several
years previous to his marriage, and after
his marriage he has served as school direc-
tor for nine years, as president of the
School Directors' Association of the county
and as secretary of the State School Direc-
tors' Association. He is one of the most
active members of the Susquehanna County
Historical Society and Free Library Asso-
ciation, and the beautiful free library build-
ing, stocked with its many thousands vol-
umes, was largely due to the efforts of Mr.
Davies.

Mr. Davies married, December 25, 1883,
Christina A. Russell, born May 17, 1861,
in Carbondale, Lackawanna county, Penn-
sylvania, daughter of John and Jeanette
Russell, of Carbondale, Pennsylvania. Chil-
dren : I. Russell, born October 31, 1884;
educated in Montrose public and high
schools, and graduated from Dickinson Col-
lege, class of '08. 2. Bertha, born Decem-
ber 16, 1885; became the wife of Arthur J.
Wheaton, of the First National Bank of
Montrose, Pennsylvania. 3. Thomas R.,
born January 27, 1887; educated in Mon-
trose public and high schools, and graduated
from Lehigh LIniversity, class of 191 1 ; now
representative of W. R. Grace & Company,
of New York, in Chile. 4. Elbert L., born
June 29, i8go; educated in Montrose public
and high schools and Mount Hermon Boys'
School ; two years principal of South Gib-
son Graded School; now taking up a law-
course at Dickinson College.



851



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



RINN, Charles William,

Business Man, Public Official.

Charles William Rinn, who is serving at
the present time (1913) in the capacity of
mayor of Allentown, his incumbency being
noted for efficiency and capability, and
whose successful career is well worthy of
emulation, his chief characteristics being
enterprise, perseverance, diligence and fore-
sight, is a native of Easton, Pennsylvania,
born October 6. 1868, son of Emil Edward
and Louise Catherine (Schlechter) Rinn,
natives of Germany, the parents of five chil-
dren, and grandson on the maternal side
of William Frederick Schlechter.

Charles W. Rinn spent his early child-
hood days in Easton, his parents removing
to Allentown, Pennsylvania, when he was
six years of age. His father was a printer
by trade, which occupation he followed for
a number of years, and he was also the pub-
lisher of a German paper, and later he en-
gaged in the wholesale meat business, con-
ducting the same successfully until his
death, which occurred June 8, 1900.

Charles W. Rinn attended the public
schools of Allentown until he was twelve
years old, at which early age he began to
earn his own livelihood, entering the em-
ploy of a local coftee merchant, whose place
of business was in the old Academy of
Music building, and he remained with him
for three years. He then apprenticed him-
self to Kellar Brothers, jewelers, of Allen-
town, serving for three years, during which
time he gained a thorough knowledge of
the jewelry trade. He then joined his
father in the management of the meat busi-
ness, they conducting their trade for fifteen
years at No. 25 North Front street, and
later for six years at Nos. 120-130 North
Front street, and at the expiration of this
period of time the plant was sold to Swartz-
child & Company, a well known corporation.
Charles W. Rinn has also devoted consider-
able attention to the real estate business,
conducting an office at No. 104 North Sev-



enth street. He conducted his business
transactions in an honorable and straight-
forward manner, winning for himself the
esteem and respect of all with whom he
was brought in contact, and this fact led to
his nomination by the Democratic party
for the office of mayor of Allentown, to
which he was elected by the people in No-
vember, 191 1, defeating his Republican op-
ponent, Hon. Fred Lewis, who is now act-
ing as Congressman-at-Large for Pennsyl-
vania. He gave to the duties of this ardu-
ous position the same careful attention and
thought as to his business pursuits, and the
result was entirely satisfactory to all con-
cerned, his administration of affairs being
fearless and honest, giving a sturdy cham-
pionship to every measure calculated to
benefit the city over which he presided. He
holds membership in several organizations
and social clubs, and enjoys the esteem and
confidence of many friends.

Charles W. Rinn married, February 26,
1 891, Lillie Alice Kline, born January 14,
1869, daughter of Jonas and Sarah (Kem-
merer) Kline. Children: Edward Kline,
born June 22, 1898 ; Sarah Louise, born
July 7, 1901 ; Charles William Jr., born De-
cember 9, 1905, died August 4, 1908.



LUTHER, John W.,

Physician, Professional Intmctor.

To Dr. John W. Luther, one of the
younger representatives of the medical pro-
fession in the county in which he resides, is
due that tribute of respect and admiration
which is always given, and justly so, to
those men who through indefatigable eiifort
have worked their way upward to positions
of prominence, and who have achieved dis-
tinction through their own labors, whether
in the professional or industrial world, and
who by their honorable conduct in all the
relations of life command the esteem and
confidence of those with whom they are
brought into contact.

Dr. Luther was born in the city of Read-



852




Sv J^S^hf^Xm-^t £^^/v




^.^



^^-^^/



^y-w.'5&vi-/*v-^/^'^«* .



FNCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ing, Berks county, Pennsylvania, May 21,
1875, his family having come to that city
from Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where
they had lived for some generations. His
paternal grandfather, Peter Luther, was a
druggist in Lancaster county, and two
brothers of Peter Luther, Martin and Dil-
ler, were prominent medical practitioners in
Berks county, Pennsylvania. William Behm,
the maternal grandfather of Dr. Luther,
was the proprietor of a hotel in Reading.
Thomas M. Luther, father of Dr. Luther,
was also born in Reading, and his brother,
R. C. Luther, of Pottsville, now deceased,
was superintendent of the Philadelphia &
Reading Coal and Iron Company, and the
first vice-president of that corporation.
There were a number of other members of
this family who also displayed exceptional
business and professional ability.

Dr. John W. Luther was graduated from
the high school of Reading in the class of
1894, and after one and a half years spent
at the Drexel Institute in Philadelphia
entered the Medical Department of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, from which insti-
tution l.t; was graduated in the class of 1899
with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He
served an interneship of nine months at the
Reading Hospital, and one of eighteen
months at the University Hospital. He
was resident physician-in-chief in the latter
institution for one year, and then estab-
lished himself in the private practice of his
profession in the city of Philadelphia. His
work had been of so excellent a character
that he was appointed Instructor in Gyne-
cology at the University of Pennsylvania,
and was assistant gynecologist at the Uni-
versity Hospital, as well as Obstetrician at
the Maternity Hospital. In January, 1908,
Dr. Luther was appointed head of the med-
ical staff of the Palmerton Hospital, the
only institution of its kind in Carbon county,
Pennsylvania. Since then he has been ap-
pointed as surgeon of the Central Railroad
of New Jersey. When the town of Pal-
merton was organized as a borough. Dr.



Luther was honored by being selected as
the first chief burgess of the town, and will
serve in this office until 1916. He is also
president of the Palmerton Cooperative As-
sociation ; president of the Carbon County
Medical Society; secretary of the Lehigh
\ alley Aledical Association ; and a member
of the Pennsylvania Medical Society and
the American Medical Association. His fra-
ternal affiliation is with Slatington Lodge,
Free and Accepted Masons, and he is a
member of the Lutheran church. A still
more recent appointment with which Dr.
Luther has been honored is that of surgeon-
in-chief to the New Jersey Zinc Company,
in which he has charge of the hygienic con-
dition of the plant, the general health of the
employes, and of all the subsidiary plants
of this corporation.

Dr. Luther married, in Savannah.
Georgia, in July, 1903, Aletta A. Artley, of
that city, and they have children: Lois,
born February 16, 1905 ; and Elizabeth,
born December 21, 1907. Dr. Luther has
never thrown ofT his earlier habits of close
study. He keeps well abreast of the pro-
gress made in his profession, partly by
means of attentive reading of the current
literature on the subject. There is nothing
narrow or contracted in his nature, and he
lias won the affection as well as the confi-
dence of his numerous patients, by his sym-
pathetic manner as well as by his success-
ful treatment of cases.



FOOTE, James L.,

Manufacturer, Public Official.

James L. Foote, founder and general
manager of the Slatington-Bangor Slate
Syndicate, a man of influence in the com-
munity, progressive and enterprising, win-
ning and retaining the confiaence and esteem
of all with whom he is brought in contact,
is a native of Salisbury, Merrimack county.
New Hampshire, born April 15, 1856, son
of Thomas and Lydia (Tabor) Foote,
natives of Massachusetts, the former named

i53



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



a carpenter and cabinetmaker, who settled
at Salisbury in 1831. Thomas Foote was a
son of Lewis Foote, born in 1784, enlisted
in the war of 1812, being in service on the
ship "Mars," which embarked from Ports-
mouth, New Hampshire, with French "Let-
ters of Marque and Reprisal," was captured
by the English during the war, and after-
wards lost in a severe storm and never
heard from. Lewis Foote was a son of
Thomas Foote, born at Amesbury, Massa-
chusetts, in 1749.

James L. Foote attended the local schools
and Or ford Academy until sixteen years of
age, and then entered the law office of John
M. Shirley, Esq., at Andover, a prominent
lawyer, and then the State Reporter of the
Supreme Court, in order to pursue a course
of study in law, and he completed his
studies under the preceptorship of Hon. E.
B. S. Sanborn, at Franklin, New Hamp-
shire, in 1876. During this time, in 1875,
he served as engrossing clerk of the State
Legislature, and the same year received the
appointment of justice of the peace. In
April, 1877, upon attaining legal age, he
was admitted to practice before the Su-
preme Court of the State. He then opened
an office at Manchester, New Hampshire,
and conducted a general practice for four
years, but this not proving congenial to his
tastes, he took up his residence in New
York City and engaged in mercantile busi-
ness, continuing for four years. While so
engaged, Mr. Foote, becoming aware of the
great prospect in the promising slate regions
of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, removed
to Slatington, March i, 1887. He first en-
tered the employ of the late Henry Kuntz,
Esq., proprietor of the Slatington Slate
Company, as bookkeeper and salesmanager,
in which capacities he served for six years.
At the expiration of this period of time he
became associated with certain enterprising
citizens in the organization of the Slating-
ton-Bangor Slate Syndicate for the manu-
facture of roofing slate and slate black-
boards, and was chosen for the offices of



treasurer and general manager, the duties
of which he has since performed faithfully
and conscientiously. During the past two
decades their trade has developed to large
proportions, extending throughout the
length and breadth of the United States,
also to foreign countries, and this increase
has come to the company through the inde-
fatigable efforts of Mr. Foote, who is recog-
nized as an authority in the slate industry
in the United States, and a great measure
of the success has been due to his well-con-
ducted, persistent and judicious advertising.

In addition to the above, Mr. Foote is a
director of the Blue Ridge Traction Com-
pany, which operates a street railway be-
tween Slatington and Danielsville, and pres-
ident of the Slatington Citizens' Bank, of
which he was vice-president for three years.
Upon locating at Slatington, Mr. Foote
evinced a keen interest in its local govern-
ment, and various offices were tendered to
him, which he was compelled to decline
owing to the stress of business affairs. In
191 1 he received the appointment of county
prison inspector, reappointed the following
year, and on both occasions was elected to
the presidency of the board. In 1913, at the
earnest solicitation of his many friends, he
accepted the nomination for chief burgess,
and he was duly elected at the ensuing elec-
tion. He has also given considerable time
and attention to the cause of education, fill-
ing the office of school director for three
years, also that of secretary and president.
In 1899 Mr. Foote was one of the organ-
izers of Christ Episcopal Church, with
which he has since been connected, being
one of its chief supporters and serving as
senior warden. He is a member of the Be-
nevolent and Protective Order of Elks, at
Allentown; the Knights of the Golden
Eagle, and the Knights of Malta, at Slat-
ington ; the Pennsylvania Society of New
York ; the National Geographic Society, and
the Traffic Club of New York.

Mr. Foote married (first) in 1879, Ara
L. Piatt, daughter of Captain James H. and



854






T




&



X j^^^c:^^'7^^^



lewis Historical Puk- Co



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Sarah S. (Jones) Piatt, of Manchester,
New Hampshire ; the former named en-
Hsted in the Civil War and served as cap-
tain of Company E, Second Regiment New
Hampshire Volunteers, and was killed in
1864 at the battle of Drury's Bluff, Virginia.
Mrs. Foote died in 1907, at Slatington. In
1908 Mr. Foote married (second) Emma
Raleigh Blanchard, daughter of Trask W.
and Almira (Gates) Raleigh, of Boscawen,
New Hampshire, a lineal descendant of Sir
Walter Raleigh, the distinguished repre-
sentative of Queen Elizabeth, of Great Brit-
ain, in the early discovery and settlement of
Virginia, for which he was knighted.



MULHEARN, Edward M.,

Lawyer, liegislator.

It is difficult to characterize a man whose
powers are as versatile and whose achieve-
ments are as varied as are those of Edward
M. Mulhearn, of Mauch Chunk, a leader
of the bar of Eastern Pennsylvania, a for-
mer District Attorney of Carbon county and
a former member of the State Legislature.
Throughout his entire professional career
Mr. Mulhearn has been identified with
Mauch Chunk, and is closely and conspicu-
ously associated with its leading interests.

John Mulhearn, father of Edward M.
Mulhearn, was born in Ireland, whence he
emigrated to the United States, becoming
one of the pioneer settlers of Carbon county.
He passed there the remainder of his life,
becoming a prominent citizen. He married
Ann Sweeney, like himself, a native of Ire-
land, and they became the parents of seven
children, among them, Edward M., men-
tioned below. Mr. and Mrs. Mulhearn are
now both deceased.

Edward M., son of John and Ann
(Sweeney) Mulhearn, was born June 15,
1849, 3t Mauch Chunk, where he received
his early education in the public schools,
which, in that region and at that period,
afforded but meager advantages. From
1861 until 1865 he was engaged during the



summers in boating on the Lehigh canal,
attending school during the winters, and in
the latter year he entered St. Mary's Col-
lege, Wilmington, Delaware, and St. Thomas
of \'illanova, at Villanova, Delaware coun-
ty, Pennsylvania, remaining until June,
1 87 1, when he graduated.

His literary education being completed,
Mr. Mulhearn determined that his life work
should be the practice of law, and with this
end in view entered the law office of Daniel
Kalbfus, of Mauch Chunk. After two
years of close study and unwearied applica-
tion he was admitted to the bar June 20,
1873, and at once entered upon the active
practice of his profession, in which he has
continued to the present day. His advance-
ment to the leading position which he has
now held for many years was the result
solely of natural ability joined to earnest
and conscientious endeavor.

Always actively interested in public af-
fairs, Mr. Mulhearn has been from early
manhood identified with the Republican
party, and has done all in his power for the
success of its measures and the support of
its candidates. In 1881 he was elected Dis-
trict Attorney of Carbon county, serving
two terms of three years each, and dis-
charging his duties to the perfect satisfac-
tion of all good and law-abiding citizens.
In 1889 he was elected to the Legislature by
a majority of five hundred and served for
one term of two years. He was appointed
Solicitor of the Common Council of the
borough of Mauch Chunk, an office which
he filled with his wonted efficiency and
fidelity. For twelve years he was chairman
of the Republican County Committee, and



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 23 of 58)