Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 24 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 24 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was also solicitor for the county for six
years.

In the welfare and progress of his native
city, Mr. Mulhearn has ever taken a lively
interest, cooperating in every plan which
seemed to him calculated to further that
end, and has been for the last twenty-five
years solicitor for the Columbian Building
and Loan Association. He is a man of



855



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



many friends, genial and companionable,
and possesses brilliant gifts as an orator,
having been, for forty years, celebrated as
a public speaker. He is a member of the
Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate
Conception, and president of its St. Vincent
de Paul Society, an organization actively
engaged in charitable and benevolent work.

Mr. Mulhearn married, November lo,
1881, Mary A., daughter of John Behrendt.
Mrs. Mulhearn, who was a woman of many
virtues and a member of the Lutheran
church, passed away February 28, 1892,
leaving two children: John D., and Mary
D.

Mr. Mulhearn's career has been one of
substantial, brilliant and varied usefulness.
In serving his State, he has brought honor
both to her and himself, and it is with
mingled pride and gratitude that Pennsyl-
vania acknowledges her indebtedness to
this gifted and loyal son.



KOLB, Albert,

Physician, School 0£Scial.

Dr. Albert Kolb is one of the best known
and oldest established physicians in Scran-
ton, where he has been in practice for
nearly thirty years, and is intimately identi-
fied with the welfare and progress of the
city. It was partly owing to his very able
management that one of the most serious
outbreaks of smallpox in recent years, oc-
curring while he was superintendent of the
Scranton Bureau of Health, was checked
after three hundred and six cases had de-
veloped. The success with which he coped
with this serious epidemic has made his
position in the esteem of his fellow citizens
a very enviable one and given him high
rank in the medical profession.

Dr. Kolb was born at Lancaster, New
York, on May 8, i860, being the son of Rev.
Jacob Kolb, a native of Wiirtemberg, Ger-
many, who married Catherine Widman and
afterward came to America. Upon coming
to this country he became pastor success-



ively of German Methodist churches in
New York City, Jersey City, Baltimore,
Boston, Philadelphia, and other cities.
From 1869 to 1871 he was in charge of a
pastorate in Scranton, and again from 1884
until 1887. He was a notable contributor
to religious journals; and died in 1900, in
New York City, at the age of seventy-
seven years.

Dr. Albert Kolb's education was acquired
at various institutions in the principal cities
of the east. He attended German Wallace
College, Berea, Ohio, and Boston Latin
School. He then entered the Homoeopathic
Medical College in New York City, where
he remained for two years, after which he
passed another two years at the Medico-
Chirurgical College in Philadelphia, from
which he was graduated in April, 1884. He
then entered upon a general practice of
medicine at Scranton and has remained here
ever since. From 1903 until 1906 he was
superintendent of the Board of Health in
this city, and it was during this time that he
was instrumental in suppressing the out-
break of small-pox previously alluded to.
He has won a high place in the esteem of
the community, and is a leading spirit in all
that concerns the general welfare and
health. He is interested in fraternal mat-
ters, and is a Blue Lodge and Chapter
Mason.

Dr. Kolb was married, in the year 1885,
the year following his graduation, to Miss
Delia M. Weinschenk, daughter of An-
thony Weinschenk, who was at the time of
his daughter's marriage superintendent of
the foundry of the Lackawanna Iron and
Coal Company. They have three children —
two sons and a daughter : Stella May,
the eldest, is a graduate of "Rust Hall,"
Washington, D. C. Henry Arthur, the
eldest son, graduated at Scranton High
School, in 1907; he then entered the law
offices of Watson, Deihl and Watson, as
registered student. He is now a senior stu-
dent at the Dickinson Law College, and is a
member of the Delta Chi fraternity. Fred



856



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



L. Kolb, the youngest son of Dr. and Mrs.
Kolb, is a graduate of the Central High
School of Scranton; he is now taking an
electrical course at Lafayette College, and
is in his senior year. He is a member of
the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity, and, like
his elder brother, is very popular among his
classmates. All of Dr. Kolb's children are
making an excellent start in life, having
had the best possible educational advan-
tages ; and bid fair to establish for them-
selves as fine a record for efficiency and
good citizenship as their distinguished
father has already acquired.

Dr. Kolb has a most comfortable and
well appointed home at No. 428 Cedar ave-
nue, where he resides with his family. In
November, 191 3, the voters of Scranton
elected Dr. Kolb as a director of the public
schools by the largest majority given to any
city candidate.



DENNEY, Harland Alexander,
Lawyer, Public Official.

Harland A. Denney, who has attained
notable success as a member of the Susque-
hanna county bar, also a representative cit-
izen of Montrose, was born May 9, 1867,
at Equinunk, Wayne county, Pennsylvania,
ton of Jacob and Rhoda (Williams) Den-
ney. Harland A. Denney was a student
at the Keystone Academy and Bucknell
University, thus acquiring an excellent edu-
cation which thoroughly laid the foundation
for a career of usefulness. Having de-
cided on the law for his life work, he placed
himself under the competent instruction of
the late Chief Justice McCullem and Mr.
Smith, of Montrose, and on August, 1893,
after a successful competitive examination,
was admitted to the Susquehanna county
bar.

He began the active practice of his pro-
fession in 1895 in Montrose, since which
time he has continued in general practice
there with a success that is pronounced.



His clientele is of an extended and in-
fluential type that speaks in itself for his
ability and standing at the bar, and his
skill and knowledge of law have brought
him enviable prestige as a thoroughly quali-
fied lawyer. His prominence as a citizen
of Montrose is shown by the fact that he
was elected district attorney in 1905, serv-
ing acceptably and creditably for two terms,
and for six years served in the position of
county chairman of the Republican party,
in the welfare of which he has taken an
active interest since attaining his majority.
He is president of the local Historical So-
ciety, which has been in existence for two
decades, and holds membership in Warren
Lodge, No. 240, Free and Accepted
Masons: Warren Chapter, No. 180, Royal
Arch Masons; Great Bend Commandery,
No. 29, Knights Templar; Irene Temple,
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Wilkes-
Barre; Lodge No. 151, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, and the Improved Order
of Red Men. As a citizen Mr. Denney is
public-spirited to a marked degree, his
personality is pleasing, and he is a gentle-
man of thorough culture and high intel-
lectual attainments.

Mr. Denney married, November 2, 1893,
Rose E. Jones, born May 4, 1870, daugh-
ter of Byron Jones, of Wayne county,
Pennsylvania.



BERGER, William Henry,

Manufacturer, Financier.

Never should it be forgotten that, long
before the steel industry dazzled the world
by its magnitude and magnificence, fortunes
were amassed in Pittsburgh by men who
were the sires of the present-day autocra-
cies. Masterful and impressive figures they
were, these business men of the old time,
and prominent among them, as they rise be-
fore our retrospective vision, is the form
of the late William Henry Berger, for
thirty years head of the widely-known Ber-



857



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ger Manufacturing Company and long
closely associated with the most vital in-
terests of his adopted city.

Jacob Berger, father of William Henry
Berger, was born August 25, 1788, and in
1836 removed from Philadelphia to Pitts-
burgh, where he established a well known
contracting company. He married Lydia

Gardner, daughter of and Sarah

Ann (Gardner) Wellington. Sarah Ann
Gardner was a daughter of a Gardner,
another of whose daughters married a Wil-
liam Appleton, of the Appleton family of
New England. The arms of the Gardner
family are : Azure. On a chevron argent,
between three griffin's heads erased or, as
many martlets sable. These arms are very
ancient and honorable. Jacob Berger died
February 8, 1861, leaving an honorable
record both as a business man and a citizen.
William Henry, son of Jacob and Lydia
Gardner (Wellington) Berger, was born
August 7, 1835, in Philadelphia, and was
an infant when the family removed to Pitts-
burgh. He was educated in the public
schools of that city, and on leaving school
began his business career as a messenger
boy in the service of the Western Union
Telegraph Company. As companions in
this employment he had Andrew Carnegie
and the late David McCargo, and as the
three boys raced the streets of Pittsburgh,
bearing messages and executing commis-
sions little did they or any one else dream
of the future which awaited them. Mr.
McCargo attained success through the rail-
roads, the story of the achievements of Mr.
Carnegie, last survivor of the trio, is known
to the world, and William Henry Bergel
became the founder of a manufacturing
company which was under his direct and
active management for over thirty years.

It was not long before Jacob Berger re-
moved his son from the messenger service
and made him his associate in the contract-
ing business. In this new sphere the youth
rapidly developed those remarkable talents
by which he was distinguished throughout



his after life and as time went on the father
and son were numbered among the fore-
most contractors of the city. Working side
by side, they constructed the barracks with-
in the old Pittsburgh arsenal, and later,
entering upon a new line of business, be-
came proprietors of the first shovel-handle
manufacturing house west of the Alle-
ghenies, their works being situated at Dia-
mond and Smithfield streets.

After the death of his father, Mr. Berger
disposed of his interests in the shovel-
handle factory and engaged in the wooden-
ware and sawed lumber business, having
works at Twenty-eight street and the Alle-
gheny railroad station. Possessing a large
degree that intense energy which vitalizes
all with which it comes in contact, his rise
to a commanding position in the business
circles of the Iron City was rapid and main-
tained with constantly augmenting strength
and security. Respected by his associates
and served with loyal zeal by his subor-
dinates whose best interests he ever sought
to promote, he was recognized as a clear-
headed manufacturer of broad views and
superior business methods, in the inmost
circle of those closest to the interests which
most largely conserved the growth and
progress of the city. In 1893 he retired
from business.

Despite the engrossing nature of his
duties as head of the Berger Manufacturing
Company, Mr. Berger's superabundant
energy and systematic habits enabled him to
give time and attention to other interests.
He was vice-president of the New York and
Cleveland Gas and Coal Company, and a
director of the Second National Bank, also
of Homewood Cemetery, of which he had
been one of the organizers. In all concerns
relative to the city's welfare, Mr. Berger's
interest was deep and sincere, and wherever
substantial aid would further public pro-
gress it was freely given. In politics he was
a Republican, and close observation of men
and measures, combined with rapidity of
judgment, enabled him, in the midst of in-




'Z^^tlX^c^-'-^^ , /V^^/l^L-^:.^>^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



cessant business activity, to give to the
affairs of the community effort and counsel
of genuine value. On many occasions his
penetrating thought added wisdom to public
movements. Ever ready to respond to any
deserving call made upon him, he was widely
but unostentatiously charitable, and in his
work of this character he brought to bear
the same discrimination and thoroughness
that were manifest in his business life. He
was one of the organizers and a charter
member of the Point Breeze Presbyterian
Church.

The countenance and bearing of Mr. Ber-
ger were indicative of the energy and per-
severance which, combined with unimpeach-
able integrity, laid the foundation of his ex-
traordinary success, while at the same time
his face and manner were expressive of the
geniality of nature and benevolence of dis-
position which drew men to him and sur-
rounded him with friends. He was soft-
spoken, gentle-mannered, and of unruffled
serenity and poise — suave without ostenta-
tion, and breathing a self-respect in sim-
plicity and charm. His mature judgment
and ripe experience caused him to be much
sought as an astute and capable adviser, his
conservatism making him a factor of safety
in business interests.

Mr. Berger married, May 29, 1861, Jane,
daughter of John and Jane (Asdale) Mc-
Glone, the former a representative of a
prominent Pittsburgh family, and they be-
came the parents of the following children :
William A. ; John Franklin ; Mrs. Winfield
Scott Arter; Mrs. Charles Arbuthnot,
junior, and Elizabeth, wife of Will Knox
Dunlap. Mrs. Berger, a thinking woman,
gifted with foresight and business acumen
of a high order and withal possessed of
much individuality and distinction, proved
herself in all respects an ideal helpmate for
the man who h^d chosen her to be the com-
panion of his life. An accomplished home-
maker, she caused him to find at his own
fireside a refuge from the storm and stress
of the business arena. Devotion to his



wife and children was the ruling motive of
his existence and his home was the abode
of domestic joy and serenity.

The death of Mr. Berger, which occurred
April 13, 1903, removed from our city a
man of stainless character in every relation
of life, one whose motives were never ques-
tioned and who exerted in the business
world an influence as salutary as it was
potent. Honorable in purpose and fear-
less in conduct he stood for many years as
one of the most eminent and valued citizens
of Pittsburgh and the entire community
mourned his loss and offered to his memory
tributes of affection and respect.

There is one class of her citizens whom
Pittsburgh, irrespective of race, creed or
party, delights to honor — the pioneers.
Political antagonisms, social distinctions
and religious differences are all forgotten in
the contemplation of the indomitable ag-
gressiveness and steadfast determination of
the men who laid deep and sure the founda-
tions on which their successors have reared
the noble and wonderful city of the present
time. The Pittsburgh of To-day salutes her
creators and none among them does she
hold in greater honor than that true Pitts-
burgher of the old time — William Henry
Berger.



SEIP, Harry G.,

Business Man, Pnblic Official.

Harry G. Seip, a widely known politician
and successful business man of Easton, is a
good example of the able, reliable and pub-
lic-spirited citizen, whose presence is a con-
serving force, and a bulwark of justice and
truth for his native city, where his entire
life has been spent. He was born No-
vember 28, 1870, son of Roseberry and
Emma Seip.

Roseberry Seip was a native of Easton,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, born
March 30. 1843, died April 22, 1913, at the
age of three-score years and ten. During the
Civil War he served in the 129th Regiment

859



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Pennsylvania Volunteers, re-enlisted in the
Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served through-
out the entire conflict, having an excellent
record for bravery in the most trying mo-
ments. In 1886 he moved to Brooklyn,
New York, and v^fhile a resident of that city
became a member of Ford Post, Grand
Army of the Republic. At the expiration
of eighteen years he returned to his native
city, Easton. In 1873, when the govern-
ment began the free delivery of mail in Eas-
ton, Mr. Seip was appointed the second
carrier, filling that position for many years.
He also served as a constable of the First
Ward for three years, and in the days of
the old volunteer fire department Mr. Seip
was a member of the old Humane Fire
Company and the Southwark Hook and
Ladder Company. He was always active
in Republican politics in the First Ward,
where he acted as party leader many years
ago. He married Emma Glessner, and
among their children was Harry G., of
whom further.

In early boyhood Harry G. Seip began
work by selling newspapers in his native
city, then clerked in stores and drove
wagons, and in 1888 entered the employ
of Mr. Garren, who conducted a restau-
rant in a two-story frame structure, his
task being the opening of oysters. In 1902,
upon the death of Mr. Garren, who pre-
viously became his father-in-law, Mr. Seip
became the proprietor of the business, and
it is a noteworthy fact, highly creditable to
the executive business ability of Mr. Seip,
that the business has grown rapidly and is
now widely known as one of the high class
restaurants of the Lehigh Valley. During
these years the modest frame structure was
replaced by a brick building, commodious
and well-appointed in every respect, which
the numerous patrons have thoroughly en-
joyed, but the proprietor, not being satis-
fied with this, started the erection of a mag-
nificent, modem, fire-proof building, rep-
resenting an investment of $100,000, now
(1914) completed. This accommodates



over five hundred people, who have all the
advantages of the most modern improve-
ments and service, even to water drawn
from an artesian well on the premises, and
the entire structure is conspicuous for its
beauty and usefulness. Mr. Seip is a strik-
ing example of a self made man, winning
his way to success through laborious work,
persistency and perseverance, and his career
should prove an incentive to many a boy at
the threshold of life.

Politically, Mr. Seip has been prominent
for many years. In the days when the late
General Reeder was Republican county
chairman, Mr. Seip was one of his trusty
lieutenants. In 1900 Mr. Seip was ap-
pointed Supervisor of the Census, including
Carbon, Lehigh and Northampton counties,
and in 1910 he was appointed Supervisor of
Census under President Taft for the Con-
gressional District composing Northampton,
Carbon, Pike and Monroe counties, by the
Hon. Boise Penrose. He served on the City
Council of Easton for ten consecutive years,
and was the originator and instrumental in
having several city ordinances passed,
namely: The taking in of projecting signs
and awnings; no bay windows; no more
brick pavements. Mr. Seip is now serving
in the capacity of Republican county
chairman, and member of the Republican
State Committee, and during his tenure of
oflSce has sought to serve his fellow-citizens
and benefit his native city. He advocated
the site for the new Post Office, and was
instrumental in securing an appropriation
of $100,000.

Mr. Seip affiliates with St. John's Luth-
eran Church of Easton, and fraternally he
belongs to the following organizations and
clubs : Easton Board of Trade ; Northamp-
ton County Law, Order and License Lea-
gue ; Sons of Veterans ; Dallas Lodge, Free
and Accepted Masons, in which he holds a
life membership, joining in December, 1892;
Easton Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, in
■which he holds a life membership, joining at
the same time; Hugh DePayen Command-



860



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ery, Knights Templar, in which he holds
a life membership, joining at the same time :
Caldwell Consistory, thirty-second degree,
of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania ; Rajah
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of
the Mystic Shrine, in which he holds a life
membership, 19 lo; Lehicton Lodge, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows ; Easton
Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks; Saranac Tribe, Improved Order of
Red Men ; Fraternal Order of Eagles ;
Loyal Legion, Triple City Council ; Im-
proved Order of Heptasophs; Humane Fire
Company, of Easton ; Franklin Fire Com-
pany ; the A. A. A. Club of America ; Op-
timistic Club, of New York; the Manu-
facturers Club, of Philadelphia ; Pen Argyl
Republican Club ; Lincoln Republican Club,
of Bethlehem ; Northampton Republican
Club, of Easton ; McKinley Club, of Easton.
Mr. Seip married, May 12, 1909, Helen
M. Garren, born October 6, 1886, daughter
of Philip H. and Emma Garren. Children :
Raymond J., Jacob G., Harry G. Jr.



BRUNNER, Morris Winfleld, D. O.,
Osteopathic Physician.

Dr. Morris Winfield Brunner, a de-
scendant of one of the oldest and most
prominent families of this locality, whose
ancestors emigrated to this country and in-
troduced the thrifty and industrious habits
of the old world in all trades, professions
and vocations that they followed, was born
November 7, 1872, in Perry county, Penn-
sylvania, about two miles south of New
Bloomfield. His father, William Brunner,
was the owner of lands and other property
in his native county, and became a well
known and prominent farmer ; he was also
a brick-maker, having his own brick yards,
and doing a lucrative business. He grew
to be a man of eminence in the locality in
which he lived, and for twenty years was a
director of the public schools. He was the
son of Abraham Brunner, and was closely
related to other families of note in Lebanon



and Perry counties, all of whom were de-
scendants of the same original stock. Wil-
liam Brunner married Sarah Brindle, and
they had eleven sons and three daughters,
namely : George, William, Mary, Ithamer,
Abraham, David, Margaret, Charles S.,
John F., Jacob R., Morris Winfield, Eliza-
beth, and two sons who died at an early
age. The family grew up in the faith of
their ancestors and were members of the
United Brethren Church.

Dr. Morris Winfield Brunner, who has
now a large and growing practice in Le-
banon county, was, like his brothers and
sisters, born on the old farm near New
Bloomfield that was the scene of his father's
industry for so many years, and for the
first nineteen years of his life rendered his
due share of assistance in cultivating the
land and contributing to the support of the
family. He was in the meantime acquiring
the foundation of a good practical edu-
cation at the public schools of the county,
of which his father was one of the directors.
After finishing his course in the county
schools and learning all that could be taught
there, he attended the Academy at New
Bloomfield for three terms. He then en-
tered the Cumberland Valley State Normal
School, from which he was graduated in
1895, going from there to the Lebanon Val-
ley Collese and continuing his studies until
his graduation in the year 1901. His atten-
tion being then turned to osteopathy, he
took a subsequent course in the Philadelphia
College and Infirmary of Osteopathy, from
which he obtained his degree in 1904. In
the meantime he had been teaching and can-
\assing in order to supply the means for
the thorough education which he had been
determined to acquire. After his nineteenth
year he discontinued his agricultural work
on the farm and turned his attention to
teaching, being for four years an instructor
in the schools of his native county. Turn-
ing from this work in Perry county, he then
taught for an additional year in Lebanon
county, accumulating sufficient funds to



861



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



continue his studies, which he pursued with
unabated zeal, and winning the final success
which his ambition and industry had well
justified. He has become one of the best
known citizens of Lebanon, and is a rising
man in his profession, to which he con-
tinues to give his undivided and enthusiastic
attention. In social and religious circles he
is well known and influential, maintaining
his membership in the United Brethren
church, and belonging to a number of fra-
ternal organizations, namely: Lebanon
Lodge, No. 121, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows; Lebanon Lodge, Knights and
Ladies of Honor ; Lebanon Lodge, Knights
of Pythias.

Mr. Brunner married, March 28, 1906,
at Reading, Pennsylvania, Ivanora Light,
daughter of Solomon Riegel and Catherine
Ann (Gockley) Light, and a descendant of
one of the oldest and most respected
families in this section. Dr. and Mrs.
Brunner have one child, Dorothy Light
Brunner, born March 11, 1907.

The Light family in its various branches
in this and adjoining counties is one of the



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 24 of 58)