Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 26 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 26 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and is thoroughly and conspicuously identi-
fied with its business, social and fraternal
interests.

George J. Koch, father of Harry I. Koch,
and son of Samuel Koch, removed from
Chapman's Station to AUentown, where he
engaged in the shoe business. He married
Mary Alice, daughter of William Hun-
sicker. The history of the Hunsicker fam-
ily is given elsewhere in this work. Mr.
George J. Koch has now retired from busi-
ness.

Harry I., son of George J. and Mary
Alice (Hunsicker) Koch, was born Novem-
ber 29, 1876, at Chapman's Station, and
when the family removed to AUentown at-
tended the pubhc schools, graduating from
the high school in 1892. He then entered
the American Business College, where he
took a full course in bookkeeping. Mr.
Koch began his business life as a transcrib-
ing clerk in the office of the Recorder of
Deeds, when that position was held by Mor-
ris J. Stephens. He then entered the serv-
ice of Krall & Company, furniture dealers,
and later associated himself with the Yeager
Furniture Company. With this firm he re-
mained eight years in an executive capacity,
and during this time was brought much into
contact with the workingmen. In this way
Mr. Koch became familiar with the aims,
needs and desires of the man who toils. He
made many friends among the employes,
and his retirement was a cause of sincere
regret on the part of every one associated
with the business, from the heads of the
firm to the lowest subordinate. The mer-
cantile insurance business was the next field




1&




ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of endeavor in which Mr. Koch essayed his
powers, forming a partnership with Ray
Brown, under the firm name of Brown &
Koch. As general insurance brokers the
organization has conducted a very lucrative
business, also in real estate, building up a
high reputation for sagacity and integrity.
Two years ago Mr. Koch was elected secre-
tary of the Chamber of Commerce, an office
which he has since continuously held, thus
gaining much valuable knowledge in regard
to the city's needs and requirements.

Mr. Koch's many friends have for a long
time desired him to enter public life, feeling
that it was a sphere for which his adminis-
trative abilities peculiarly fitted him. De-
spite their entreaties, however, Mr. Koch
persisted in his refusal until March, 1912,
when he filed his papers with the Secretary
of the Commonwealth as a candidate for
the Democratic nomination for the Assem-
bly from the First District of Lehigh county.
He was defeated at the polls by about three
hundred votes, the question of eligibility
being brought up on a technicality at too
late a moment to be controverted before
election. Such men as he are needed in the
field of politics no less than in the arena of
business.

During the years 1894-95-96, Mr. Koch
was ardently devoted to athletics, and was
an able competitor in many of the bicycle
races of that period, being then considered
the local expert, and he was a popular figure
on race tracks, from New York to Harris-
burg. He is an active and energetic mem-
ber of the Allentown Lodge of Elks, and
has passed all the chairs, now being a past
exalted ruler of that order. During 1912-
13 his services in the order were recognized
by an appointment as a district deputy, as
such having general jurisdiction over twen-
ty-two lodges in his district. In 1912 he
was a delegate to the Elks' Convention at
Portland, Oregon, the trip taking him
through many of the principal cities of the
continent, in all of which he proved himself
a close observer, comparing conditions as



he found them with those existing in his
home town. He has been a member of the
Lehigh Democratic Club ever since attain-
ing his majority, and he also belongs to the
Lehigh Saengerbund. He has various other
social and fraternal connections which have
added to his already great personal popu-
larity. He is a member of Christ Lutheran
Church, having helped to organize the con-
gregation and also the Sunday school. Of
the latter body he has been secretary since
its inception, and is an acknowledged expert
in the keeping of Sunday school records, his
method having become so popular as to be
adopted by many of the Sunday schools of
the Lutheran church. A paper upon the
system, written and read by Mr. Koch, was
so highly esteemed that it was published in
pamphlet form and distributed among other
Lutheran churches. He has been a mem-
ber of the vestry of Christ Church and has
also served as a deacon.

Mr. Koch married, September 14, 1898,
Carrie E. Miller, formerly of Danville,
Montour county, and they are the parents
of two children : George Herbert, born Sep-
tember 7, 1899; and Jessie Walter, born
January 19, 1901. Mr. and Mrs. Koch are
both extremely popular in the social circles
of Allentown.

Mr. Koch is one of the men who, in what-
ever community they are found, vitalize
with their superabundant energy and earn-
est public spirit all its best interests. The
type is a comparatively rare one, but Harry
I. Koch furnishes a fine example of it, and
it is to be wished that it might be more fre-
quently repeated.



KAISER, Charles C,

Financier, Business Man.

Charles C. Kaiser, president of the Penn
Counties Trust Company, Allentown, Penn-
sylvania, and treasurer of the Dent Hard-
w^are Company, is a wide-awake, progres-
sive business man. He is of German birth.
He was born in Darmstadt, Germany, and



869



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



is a son of George C. C. and Elizabeth
(Brown) Kaiser. His father was a manu-
facturer in Germany, and emigrated with
his family to America.

Charles C. Kaiser is their only child born
in the Fatherland who is now living. He
was reared in Scranton, Pennsylvania,
where he acquired his early education, later
supplementing it by a course in Baltimore,
Maryland. Entering upon his business
career, he was employed in a clerical capac-
ity until his twentieth year. Subsequently
he took charge of a dry goods store in a
western State, and in 1888 came to Allen-
town, where he was employed as foreman
in the Allentown Hardware Company. In
1894 he became interested in the organiza-
tion of the Dent Hardware Company, and
was chosen its treasurer. The Dent Hard-
ware Company has shown remarkable
growth, and is now one of the leading in-
dustries in Lehigh county, and much credit
is due the executive business heads.

The Penn Counties Trust Company,
Allentown, was organized in 191 1, and the
honor of the presidency was bestowed on
Mr. Kaiser, who is acknowledged to be a
conservative farseeing business man who
has contributed his full share to the success,
growth and prosperity of the city, and has
the confidence of the people. He is also a
director in the National Bank of Cata-
sauqua.

In 1909, Mr. Kaiser was married to Mrs.
Laura M. Wise.



FRIEND, James Wood,

Manufacturer, Financier.

The first real epic in the romance of Pitts-
burgh — the imperial era of steel — has car-
ried the prestige of American industrial
achievement to the remotest ends of the
earth and made of the "Iron City" the
"World's Anvil." Among the Princes of
the Empire of Steel — one of the mightiest
that history has ever seen — was the late
James Wood Friend, president of the Clin-



ton Iron and Steel Company, and through-
out his entire business career an acknowl-
edged leader in all movements and interests
essential to the growth and prosperity of
his native city and the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania.

Porter R. Friend, father of James Wood
Friend, married Rebekah, daughter of
James Wood, who was also the father of
two sons — ^J. Theodore and Charles A.
Wood. James Wood was probably the first
practical steel and iron worker in Pitts-
burgh, and for years operated an immense
iron plant at Saw Mill Run. He was the
owner of a large tract of land skirting the
South Side, and Wood street is named in
honor of this noble pioneer. The sons of
Mr. Wood were the assistants of their
father in business, but after the death of
the latter the estate became insolvent and
went into bankruptcy.

James Wood Friend, son of Porter R.
and Rebekah J. (Wood) Friend, was born
November 2, 1845, on Third street, Pitts-
burgh. He received his education in public
and private schools, and later attended
Pittsburgh Academy, which was near where
the Court House now stands, and which
later became the Western University of
Pennsylvania, and now is the University of
Pittsburgh. At the age of seventeen, Mr.
Friend made his first entrance into the busi-
ness world, being employed in his father's
iron business, the name of the firm being
P. R. Friend & Company. He worked here
several years and then went with his grand-
father, James Wood, in the iron business.
He left this firm after his grandfather's
death, when the business was involved ; first,
however, with a wisdom beyond his years,
assisting his mother to save a portion of the
estate. He then purchased the Eagle Roll-
ing Mill, at Saw-mill Run, and operated it
under the name of J. W. Friend & Com-
pany. Associated from his youth up with
the leading business men of his native city,
Mr. Friend's innate abilities, which were of
no common order, expanded in an atmos-



870



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



phere which fostered their rapid develop-
ment and his advancement to the command-
ing position which, for so many years, he
filled with honor in manufacturing and
financial circles, is a record of undaunted,
persistent eflfort and stainless, unimpeach-
able integrity.

In 1886 the firm of Grafif, Bennett &
Company, owners of plants on the South-
side and at Millvale, became bankrupt, and
when the property was sold, Mr. Friend, in
association with F. M. Hofifstot, purchased
both plants, the South Side plant being
known as the Clinton Furnace, situated
near the end of the Smithfield street bridge.
When Charles T. Scboen invented the
pressed steel car, which has revolutionized
railroad freight transportation, Mr. Friend,
with that intense progressiveness, which
was ever one of his salient characteristics,
was one of the members of the original cor-
poration. In 1900, in connection with Mr.
Hoffstot, Mr. Friend purchased the plant,
situated at McKee's Rocks. This plant had
been founded by Mr. Schoen, and when it
changed hands the Pressed Steel Car Com-
pany was organized with Mr. Hoffstot as
president and Mr. Friend as vice-president.
The affairs of this concern thenceforth ab-
sorbed the greater portion of Mr. Friend's
time and the result of his devotion to them
was manifest in the rapid growth and ex-
tremely flourishing condition of everything
pertaining to the enterprise, which attained
to the proportions of one of the giants of
the industrial world.

The vigorous, compelling nature of Mr.
Friend and his keen, practical mind assured
the success of every undertaking to which
he gave his vitalizing energy. He was pres-
ident and principal owner of the Clinton
Iron and Steel Company, president of the
People's Coal Company, chief owner of the
Monongahela Dredging Company, holder of
stock in other concerns and director in the
Farmers' Deposit National Bank, the Ger-
man National Bank of Allegheny, of which
he was also vice-president ; director Pressed



Steel Car Company, First National Bank
of McKees Rocks and Chartiers Trust
Company. He was also officer in several
cement manufacturing companies and sev-
eral land development and real estate com-
panies.

In politics Mr. Friend was a Republican,
but took no active part in public affairs, and
could never be persuaded to become a can-
didate for office, preferring to concentrate
his energies on his manufacturing and finan-
cial interests. As a citizen with exalted
ideas of good government and civic virtue
he stood in the front rank, and no project
which, in his judgment, tended to advance
the welfare of Pittsburgh and of Pennsyl-
vania lacked his hearty cooperation. Widely
but unostentatiously charitable, he was ever
ready to respond to any deserving call made
upon him. Realizing that he would not
pass this way again, he made wise use of
his opportunities and his wealth, conform-
ing his life to the loftiest standards of recti-
tude.

The countenance and bearing of Mr.
Friend were indicative of his noble nature,
his commanding abilities and his genial dis-
position. Few men have been more be-
loved and his friends, who were numberless,
were to be found in all classes of the com-
munity. He was a thirty-second degree
Mason, and belonged to the Duquesne,
Pittsburgh, Oakmont and Allegheny Coun-
try clubs. He was a member of the Second
Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Friend married, January 4, 1871,
Martha Anne McClellan, whose ancestral
record is appended to this sketch, and they
became the parents of two sons and two
daughters : Charles Wood ; Theodore W. ;
Elizabeth, wife of William Howard Parke,
and Rebekah, wife of Hay Walker. All
these are residents of Pittsburgh. By his
marriage Mr. Friend gained the life com-
panionship of a charming and congenial
woman, one fitted by native refinement, a
bright mind and thorough education for her
exacting duties as a leader of Pittsburgh



871



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



society, duties which she discharges with
the most perfect grace and winning tactful-
ness. Withal Mrs. Friend is an accom-
plished home-maker, and her gifted hus-
band, who was never so happy as at his own
fireside, surrounded by the beings he loved
best on earth, ever found in her a help-
mate truly ideal. Not long before the close
of his life Mr. Friend and his family took
possession of a beautiful residence on Squir-
rel Hill, the building of which had been a
source of great interest and pleasure to the
one who was destined to be for so short a
time its master.

The death of Mr. Friend, which occurred
December 26, 1909, deprived Pittsburgh of
one of those substantial and aggressive busi-
ness men who constitute the bulwark of a
city's strength and development. Honor-
able in purpose, fearless in conduct, he
stood for many years as an able exponent
of the spirit of the age in his efiforts to ad-
vance progress and improvement. His busi-
ness transactions were conducted in accord-
ance with the highest principles, he fulfilled
to the letter every trust committed to him
and was generous in his feelings and con-
duct toward all.

William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, the
famous statesman and "Creator of Modern
England" in honor of whom Pittsburgh re-
ceived her name, was beloved by the Amer-
ican colonies as the champion of their lib-
erties; James Wood Friend, one of the
"Creators of Modern Pittsburgh," was ven-
erated and loved by his native city as an ex-
ample of business honor and civic virtue.
And now, after he has ceased from earth,
his memory is an object of reverence and
affection, for his works follow him.

(The McClellan Line).

It is thought that all the families in the
United States bearing the name of McClel-
lan, McLellan, Maclellan and McClelland
are derived from one original stock having
its home in the southwestern part of Scot-
land. About 1646, during the religious war,



many families of the name removed from
Scotland to Ireland, the migration being
probably known in Ireland as the "Ulster
Plantation," the settlements being made
near Belfast and Dungannon. About 1760-
70 numerous families, both from Scotland
and Ireland, emigrated to the American
colonies, settling in Nova Scotia, New Eng-
land, New York, Pennsylvania, and the
Carolinas. Theologically, the McClellans
inclined toward Calvinism. Politically, they
were largely Federalist and Whig and are
now principally Republican. In Scotland
they were loyal to the king, in Ireland they
wore the '"Orange."

"Laird" McClellan, founder of the Ches-
ter county (Pennsylvania) branch of the
family, was of Bannagachen, Ireland, and
in 1685 was banished to the American
colonies on account of the part he had taken
in the wars. He was accompanied by three
of his children and the family settled in the
New Jersey neighborhood, where they re-
mained until 1689, when news of a favor-
able change in affairs at home caused the
"Laird" to resolve to return. On the voy-
age he was taken prisoner by the French,
but finally arrived at home on the last day
of October, 1691. The children remained
in America and became the progenitors of
the Chester county branch of the family.

Joseph McClellan, great-great-great-
grandfather of Mrs. Martha Anne (Mc-
Clellan) Friend, married Elizabeth Evi'ing,
and served with the rank of captain in the
patriot army of the Revolution. The fol-
lowing inscription is on his tombstone in
the Octoraro cemetery: "An approved oflS-
cer of the Revolution, an estimable and
highly esteemed citizen and a sincere Chris-
tian. In life respected and venerated; in
death, lamented."

James, son of Joseph and Elizabeth
(Ewing) McClellan, married Martha Cald-
well. Their son Joseph was born April 28,
1747, in Chester county, and enlisted at the
outbreak of the Revolutionary War. July
15, 1776, he was appointed lieutenant of a



872



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



company of musketeers, under the command
of Captain Abraham Marshall, and was
promoted to captain in a battalion com-
manded by Colonel Samuel Atlee. He was
transferred to the Pennsylvania Line, Ninth
Regiment, and on March 22, 1781, to the
Second Regiment, Pennsylvania Line, serv-
ing until June 13, 1781, when he resigned
from a sense of filial duty, his parents bein;
aged and infirm. He participated in the
battles of Long Island, Brandywine and
Monmouth. On the back of Captain Mc-
Clellan's commission is a high testimonial
to his merit endorsed by General Anthony
Wayne. Captain McClellan married Keziah
Parke, born January 24, 1767, and their
children were : Anne, born August 15, 1787,
died August 19, i860, married William
Hemphill; Martha, born February 7, 1789,
married, 1810, Isaac Rogers, and died
March 14, 1814; Elizabeth, born 1794, died
in 1799; and Joseph Parke, mentioned be-
low. Captain Joseph McClellan died Octo-
ber 14, 1834, and his widow passed away,
July 31, 1842.

Joseph Parke, son of Joseph and Keziah
(Parke) McClellan, was born March 19,
1796, and was a farmer, becoming, in the
forties, owner of the historic Green Tree
Hotel in West Chester. From 1814 to 1816
he was president of the Bank of Chester
County, and held the same position from
1817 to 1819. This is now the National
Bank of Chester County. Mr. McClellan
served as a burgess of West Chester and as
sheriff of Chester county. Pie was a mem-
ber of Octoraro Presbyterian Church. He
married (first) Sarah Whelan, and (sec-
ond) Mary Ellis Miller. Mr. McClellan
died February 26, 1861.

James Downing, son of Joseph Parke and
Sarah (Whelan) McClellan, married Eliza-
beth Litzenberg, and their children were:
John ; Sarah Keziah, married James David
Ruth ; Christian L. ; Joseph Parke ; Mary ;
Martha Anne, mentioned below ; Henry ;
Ella, who, like Mary, died in early child-
hood; Anne Hemphill, married Harry



Friend ; Elizabeth Litzenberg, married John
W. Betz ; and Joseph.

Martha Anne, daughter of James Down-
ing and Elizabeth (Litzenberg) McClellan,
was born December 4, 1847, and became the
wife of James Wood Friend, as mentioned
above.



S COOPER, T. S.,

Breeder of High Grade Cattle.

T. S. Cooper, of Coopersburg, who has
gained repute in the agricultural world,
being an authority on the breeding and rais-
ing of Jersey cattle, is a lineal descendant
of one of the oldest families of the Lehigh
Valley. In its various generations from
the pioneer ancestor down to the present
time (1913), the members of the family
have been conspicuous in the different walks
of life, noted for their many e.xcellent char-
acteristics.

William Cooper, the emigrant ancestor,
was a native of Dillenberg, Duchy of Nas-
sau, Germany, born August 24, 1722, died
in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, his remains
being interred in the burying ground sur-
rounding St. Paul's Church at Upper Sau-
con, as were also those of his wife, Gertrude
Cooper, born September 12, 1724. They
came to the new world in the latter part of
the eighteenth centurj-. They were pre-
ceded by their son Daniel, of whom further.

Daniel, son of William and Gertrude
Cooper, was born at Dillenberg, Duchy of
Nassau, Germany, March 31, 1752. He
emigrated to this country about 1770, and
settled at Goshenhoppen, Montgomery
county, Pennsylvania. He married, No-
vember 3, 1775, Elizabeth, daughter of
Jacob Gery, of Goshenhoppen, and they
were the parents of ten children: i. Jacob,
removed to Philadelphia, where he was en-
gaged in mercantile pursuits ; having occa-
sion to go to New Orleans, he was taken
ill on the ocean, died, and was buried at sea ;
he married twice, and had a son by each
marriage — Daniel and Jacob. 2. John, died

873



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



in 1847, leaving a daughter, Fayette, who
was the wife of Elias Nitrauer. 3. Peter,
of whom further. 4. WiUiam, removed to
Schuylkill county. 5. Charles, died in child-
hood. 6. Daniel, married Sarah Ott, and
died in April, 1864, leaving several chil-
dren. 7. Catherine, married Jacob Seider.
8. Elizabeth, married Abraham Slifer, and
removed to Flourtown, Pennsylvania, where
she died in 1867. 9. and 10. died in infancy.
Peter, son of Daniel and Elizabeth
(Gery) Cooper, was born in Goshenhoppen,
Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, Decem-
ber 26, 1790, died May 19, 1837. He was
the founder of Coopersburg, Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, and served as deputy sur-
veyor-general of Pennsylvania. He mar-
ried Susan Buchecker, who bore him four
children: i. Milton, a resident of Coopers-
burg. 2. Charles W., became first county
superintendent of public schools of Lehigh
county, and was cashier and president of
the Allentown National Bank. 3. Thomas
B., of whom further. 4. Anna Matilda, be-
came the wife of Dr. Fred Martin, and died
in Bethlehem, leaving two daughters, resi-
dents of Philadelphia.

Dr. Thomas B. Cooper, son of Peter and
Susan (Buchecker) Cooper, was born in
Coopersburg, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
and died there, April 4, 1862. He was a
prominent physician in Coopersburg, having
a large practice. He was active in public
afifairs, and was a Member of Congress
from Bucks and Lehigh counties. He mar-
ried Elemania Schantz, and among their
children was T. S. Cooper, of whom fur-
ther.

T. S. Cooper, son of Dr. Thomas B. and
Elemania (Schantz) Cooper, was born at
the old Cooper homestead at Coopersburg,
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, October 21,
1850. He was reared in his native place,
and attended the public schools of Coopers-
burg and Philadelphia. During his early
life he assisted in the duties of the farm at
Coopersburg, thus acquiring a thorough
knowledge of farming, and later developed



into one of the most scientific agriculturists
in that section of the State, now owning
many hundred acres of land. He is widely
known throughout the county on account
of his successful breeding and raising of
Jersey cattle, beginning this line of work
when twenty-four years of age. He imports
them from the Jersey Isles, often receiving
as high as $10,000 per head, and his two
sons are associated in business with him.
He is frequently called upon to act in the
capacity of judge of cattle at State and
county exhibits, also in various parts of the
United States and in Canada, serving as
judge of Jersey cattle at the Canadian Na-
tional Exhibition at Toronto. The excel-
lent appearance of his property bespeaks a
watchful care by one accustomed to that
particular work, Mr. Cooper giving his per-
sonal supervision to all details. He has
attained success by hard and incessant work,
perseverance and untiring industry, qual-
ities most essential to the end in view. He
is fair and upright in all his dealings, and is
highly esteemed and holds the confidence
of all with whom he is brought in contact,
either in business or social life. As can be
attested Mr. Cooper's public auction sales
of cattle have amounted to over a million
and a half dollars, and he claims the proud
distinction of having never been sued or
having occasion to sue a buyer. It is doubt-
ful if any other live stock dealer can lay
claim to such honors. He affiliates with
the Lutheran church, was burgess of
Coopersburg for several years, elected on
the Democratic ticket, and is a director of
the Allentown National Bank.

Mr. Cooper married, March 25, 1876,
Tillie, daughter of James W. Wilson, of
Allentown, Pennsylvania. Children : Ralph,



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 26 of 58)