Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 27 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 27 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Emily, Peter.



SCOTT, James Davis,

Business Man, Public Official.

As Recorder of Deeds of Chester county,
Mr. Scott has been much in the public eye



874



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



since his announcement of candidacy in
191 1. He is a native born son of Chester
county, his forbears having been there
seated for many years. His father, Edward
Scott, now deceased, was a farmer of
Lewisville, Chester county, a man of good
standing and upright character.

James Davis Scott was born at the Scott
homestead at Lewisville, Pennsylvania, May
24, 1864. He attended the public schools of
Lewisville and assisted his father at farm
labor, but not being enamored with the life
of a farmer, he sundered home ties and for
a time was engaged in learning the trade of
a papermaker with Jessup & Moore, at Wil-
mington, Delaware. But this was not a
business that particularly appealed to him,
and he decided upon another change. He
apprenticed himself to a plumbing firm in
Wilmington and served the required mim-
ber of years. He became a skilled work-
man, and until 1890 continued work at his
trade in Wilmington. He had then reached
the age of twenty-six years, and having an
expert knowledge of plumbing and heating
decided to enter business for himself. He
choose Coatesville, Pennsylvania, as a loca-
tion, and in 1890 opened a shop there, soon
proving the wisdom of his course by the
instant demand for a plumber of his ability.
His trade increased until his force of ten
journeymen is kept busily engaged in the
different departments of the business. His
reputation for honorable dealing kept pace
with the expansion of the business and has
never been tarnished by a sacrifice of qual-
ity in order to advance temporary gain. He
became well and favorably known over a
large territory, and when in 191 1 he an-
nounced himself as a candidate for the
office of Recorder of Deeds on the Repub-
lican ticket, he was gratified with a favor-
able response from the voters, proving their
good will and the respect in which he is
held. At the ensuing November election
he was carried into office by a handsome
majority, leading the entire ticket. He en-
tered upon the duties of his office, January



I, 1912, and has served to the complete
satisfaction of all having business with the
recorder's office. Mr. Scott is a member
of the Baptist church; the Masonic order;
the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks ; the Junior Order of American Me-
chanics ; and the Knights of Pythias, taking
an active interest in all.

He married, in 1891, Hannah Moore, of
Coatesville, and has issue: James Davis,
died in infancy; and Harold, now deputy
recorder of deeds under his father.



KIDD, James Wilson,

Manufacturer, Public Official.

The Kidd family ranks among the oldest
settlers of the section of Pennsylvania
wherein Lehigh county is located, and
prominent among the present representa-
tives is James Wilson Kidd, chief burgess
of Emaus, who has inherited in marked de-
gree the characteristics of his ancestors,
namely : energy, enterprise, a resolute will
and a determination to succeed, these being
chief factors in the success of any under-
taking.

Charles Kidd, grandfather of James W.
Kidd, was a resident of Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, owner of a farm consisting
of one hundred and twenty acres devoted to
general farming products, and he was also
the village blacksmith, from both of which
occupations he derived a goodly profit. He
married Elizabeth Stuber, who bore him
five children: i. Isabella, married William
Ehret : children : Charles, Amanda, Ellen.
2. Caroline, married Joseph Dech ; left no
issue. 3. Joseph, married Alary A. Biery,
and left no issue. 4. Tilghman, of whom
further. 5. Susanna, married Ferdinand
Wint ; children: Rufus and Clara.

Tilghman Kidd, father of James W.
Kidd, was a native of Schoenersville,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, at that
time Lehigh and Northampton counties
being one county. He was reared on his
father's farm, educated in the common



875



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



schools of the neighborhood, and through-
out his active career, which was devoted to
farming, he bore a reputation for integrity
and trustworthiness. He married EHza
Bickert, a native of Bethlehem, Pennsyl-
vania, who bore him two children: James
Wilson, of whom further; Emma M., mar-
ried Preston B. Butterwick, and had one
child, Stanley.

James Wilson Kidd was bom in Upper
Saucon township, Lehigh county, Pennsyl-
vania, May 27, 1861. He spent his childn
hood and youth in the place of his birth,
attending the public schools of the neighbor-
hood, from which he obtained a practical
education. In the spring of the year 1883
he moved to Emaus, Pennsylvania, and
there began an apprenticeship at the trade
of carpenter, and after completing the same
worked as a journeyman for a period of five
years, then turned his attention to mil]
work, an occupation he has since followed,
in which he has met with signal success.
He is progressive and enterprising, conduct-
ing his operations along the most improved
lines, and henceforth merits the patronage
accorded him, which is constantly increas-
ing in volume and importance, he occupy-
ing a prominent position in business
circles. Plis character as a business man
led to his appointment to public office, and
in the management of the duties thereof he
has displayed the same traits as character-
ized his business career. He served a term
of four years as councilman, acting as presi-
dent of that body during the latter part of
the term, and in September, 19 12, he was
appointed chief burgess of Emaus, succeed-
ing D. R. Miller, deceased. In November,
19 1 3, he was elected for a term of four
years, beginning January i, 1914, and dur-
ing his tenure of office he has discharged
the duties with fidelity and efficiency, con-
stantly growing in public estimation. He
affiliates with the Lutheran church, is a
staunch Democrat in politics, and an en-
thusiastic advocate of all measures relating



to the further development of Emaus, and
good citizenship in general.

Mr. Kidd married, in September, 1906,
Mary Alice, born in Paterson, New Jersey,
January 8, 1870, daughter of Edmund A.
Stansfield and his wife, Mary H. (Knive-
ton) Stansfield, of Macclesfield, England.
Edmund A. Stansfield was born in Man-
chester, England, in 1843, ^^'^ when a young
man of about twenty-six years emigrated to
the United States, locating in Paterson,
New Jersey, and later establishing himself in
a silk manufacturing enterprise in Midland
Park, New Jersey. In 1892 he was called
upon to take charge of the Keystone Silk
Mills in Emaus, Pennsylvania, and under
his competent supervision the business
increased to large proportions, he keeping
abreast with modern improvements, and
winning and retaining the respect and good
will of those in his employ. Mr. Stansfield
has since retired from active business.



MORRIS, George W.,

Manufacturer, Financier.

The wealth of Pittsburgh, fabulous as it
is, is from base to capitol, real, and the rea-
son of this is not far to seek. It is found
in the simple statement, "Pittsburgh's
wealth is real because it is the work of real
men" — men of the type of the late George
Washington Morris, for many years promi-
nently associated with the A. French Spring
Company and identified with a number of
other industrial and financial concerns of
the Iron City. The entire career of Mr.
Morris was interwoven with the annals of
Pittsburgh and he was largely instrumental
in the promotion of her leading and most
vital interests.

George W. Morris was born June 14,
1849, in Pittsburgh, and was the son of
Colonel David Boyd and Margaret E.
(Grissel) Morris, of that city. It was in
public and private schools of Pittsburgh
that the boy received his education, and at



876




//>ur^Uf^^^^2^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



an early age he entered upon a business
career. He started upon the business of
hfe as an employee of Lloyd & Black, iron
men, and after a time spent in their employ,
he went with the Culmer Spring Company,
manufacturers of railroad springs, where
he had charge of the sales. This last con-
cern was bought out by the A. French
Spring Company, and Mr. Morris became
general manager of the A. French Spring
Company. For years he was influentially
associated in this concern, in which, next to
Aaron French, he was the largest stock-
holder, and to the prosperity of which his
remarkable business acumen contributed to
a very great degree.

This justly celebrated concern was organ-
ized by Aaron French in partnership with
Calvin Wells, the object being the manu-
facture of car springs. The work was at
first limited to the elliptical springs of the
Hazen patent, but in four years the business
attained such proportions as to oblige the
firm to provide more spacious quarters and
they accordingly erected the part of their
present plant known as No. i. In 1893 the
working force was over three hundred, and
the output now embraces all styles of spiral
and elliptical springs for locomotives and
passenger and street cars. Quantities of
springs are sent to Sweden, and until re-
cently this company furnished all the Pull-
man equipment in Europe. This manu-
factory is said to be the largest of the kind
in the world, the works occupying two
blocks between Nineteenth and Twenty-first
streets and one block on Smallman, between
Twenty-fifth and Twenty-si.xth streets.

This phenomenal growth was in large
measure the result of Mr. Morris' extra-
ordinary executive ability, clear perception
and aggressive methods, modified as they
were by prudence and forethought. Ability
to read the future was one of his salient
characteristics and to this is to be attributed
much of his success. Another potent factor
in the results he was able to accomplish was
his capacity for discerning the motives and



merits of men. This enabled him to put the
right man in the right place, while the strict
justice and kindly consideration which
marked his treatment of his subordinates
insured their zealous cooperation.

In all things pertaining to the welfare
and advancement of Pittsburgh, Mr. Mor-
ris' interest was deep and sincere and all
movements having these ends in view were
assured of his influence and support. An
advocate of the principles of the Repub-
lican party, he found the responsibilities of
business too engrossing to allow him to take
an active part in politics or to become a
candidate for office, though frequently
urged to do both, at one time being ad-
vanced as a candidate for mayor of the
city. He was a major in the Pittsburgh
Light Guards, at the head of which was the
late General A. L. Pearson, and on Octo-
ber I, 1870, was presented with a sword by
his company. Among the financial institu-
tions with which he was connected was the
Lincoln National Bank of which he was a
director. He was prominent in the Masonic
fraternity, affiliated with Tancred Com-
mandery. Knights Templar, and was a mem-
ber and vestryman of the Church of the
Ascension.

Firm in principle and loyal to obligation,
Mr. Morris was a man of strong convic-
tions, using his talents and opportunities to
the utmost in every work which he under-
took. Of fine personal appearance, he was
of a nature so genial and sympathetic as to
possess a rare magnetism, and his naturally
fine mind was broadened and strengthened
by reading and travel. He was friendly and
companionable, a man whom it was a de-
light to know and the number of his friends
was legion. Of a charitable nature, he gave
largely of his means, but in a quiet way.
.A.t his death he left bequests to the News-
boys' Home and to the Humane Society.

Mr. Morris married, January 14, 1869,
Mary E., daughter of Reese and Catharine
(Hubbard) Jones. A full account of the
genealogy of the Jones family is to be found



877



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



elsewhere in this work, under the biography
of David Aiken, deceased, whose wife was
a daughter of Reese Jones. Mr. and Mrs.
Morris were the parents of one son : George
Jones Morris, who married, January 26,
1895, Miss Mary E., daughter of David B.
and Mary E. (Jansen) McKeny, of New
York, and they have one child, Mary Evia.
Mrs. Morris is a woman possessing much
individuality and distinction and gifted, to
a degree unusual among her sex, with fore-
sight and business ability. She is endowed,
moreover, with the charm of domesticity,
and created for her husband — the governing
motive of whose life was devotion to his
family — an ideal home. It was their delight
to gather their friends about them and many
can testify to their charm as host and
hostess. Mrs. Morris is active in church
circles and in deeds of charity, continuing
in her widowhood the benevolent work in
which she and her husband were so long
united. Mr. Morris had a charming sum-
mer home in Machipongo, Virginia, where
he spent his summers and part of the win-
ters, and in the appearance of which he took
great pride.

The death of Mr. Morris, which occurred
July 8, 1899, removed, in the prime of life
and at the zenith of his career, one of the
most influential and public-spirited citizens
of whom Pittsburgh was able to boast — a
man of sterling integrity, irreproachable in
his domestic and business life and one who
was identified with any movement looking
to the relief of suflfering humanity. Ostenta-
tion was foreign to his nature and he was
of incorruptible fidelity, fulfilJing to the let-
ter every trust committed to him and gen-
erous in his feeling and condut t toward all.
Some lives are to be measured not by years
but by results, and in this category belongs
the life of George W. Morris.



ROBERTS, Alexander,

Civil Engineer.

The history of such men as Alexander
Roberts, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania,



proves conclusively that, with a reasonable
amount of mental and physical power, suc-
cess is bound eventually to crown tl.^e en-
deavors of those who have the ambition to
put forth their best efforts, and the will and
manliness to persevere therein. The course
of his active, useful and honorable career is
characterized by watchfulness of his oppor-
tunities. He has utilized them to the best
advantage, has applied himself closely to
the work in hand, and has overcome all ob-
stacles by persistent and untiring purpose.
Alexander Roberts is the son of Colonel
John and Mary Hunt (Chambers) Roberts,
and was born at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania,
December i, 1823. According to public
record he represents the fourth generation
in a direct line to reside in the State of
Pennsylvania. His education was an excel-
lent one, and was arranged with a view to
his following the profession of law. He
attended the public schools of his native
city, and was then a student at the Harris-
burg Academy, Professor Alfred Arm-
strong having charge of the institution at
that time. He commenced reading law in
the office of his father, but took up the
studies of surveying and civil engineering
at the same time, and pursued these with
considerably more ardor than the former,
as he had always had an inclination for out-
door life. During this period of prepara-
tion he assisted his father as one of the sur-
veyors or regulators for the borough, and
also surveyed and laid out any lands in the
vicinity in which his assistance was re-
quired. A portion of his time was also de-
voted to the duties of chief clerk in the
office of the register and recorder of Dau-
phin county, and he made the first index of
all deeds recorded from the origin of the
county until the year 1846. In the winter
of 1846 Mr. Roberts was appointed com-
pass man for a surveying party in the em-
ploy of the Cumberland Valley Railroad
Company, the object being to explore a
route leading from Shippensburg westward
through Roxbury Gap, this to be a part of
a railroad between Pittsburgh and Harris-
878





r^ y



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



burg. This route was found to be imprac-
ticable and the plan was abandoned. In the
spring of 1S47 Mr. Roberts was appointed
a member of the engineering corps of the
Pennsylvania Railroad Company, and for
this reason finally abandoned the idea of
entering the legal profession. During the
next five years he made preliminary surveys
for the location and construction of the
railroad, completing his last division at
Pittsburgh, after which he resigned his posi-
tion. His next field of activity was to be
in the engineering work on a road to be
constructed between Vicksburg and Jack-
son, Mississippi, but as the health of his
father had become greatly impaired about
this time, Mr. Roberts refused to accept a
position which would take him so far from
his home, and accepted that of relocating
and reconstructing the Chester Valley Rail-
road from Bridgeport, opposite Norristown,
to Downington, which was not far from
his home. When the work was well under
way he resigned from this position, having
been appointed assistant engineer in the
construction of the Susquehanna railroad,
about to connect Harrisburg and Sunbury.
He was connected with this until he had
located the lower end at Harrisburg, the
Halifax Division from Powel's Creek to
Berries Mountain, and the grading of this
division was almost finished, when the com-
pany suspended work for several years. In
the meantime, the Baltimore & York, the
York and Harrisburg, and the Susquehanna
roads, were consolidated, becoming known
as the Northern Central railroad. Mr.
Roberts resumed his work of making local
surveys in Dauphin and Cumberland coun-
ties, and was identified with this for many
years until he retired from the active duties
of his professional life. He was connected
with a number of other enterprises of im-
portance, among them being the Harrisburg
Burial Case Company, in which he was one
of the board of directors; in 1874 he was
one of the promoters of the Harrisburg
City Passenger Railway Company, and



served as secretary of that corporation for
many years. Since his twenty-first year he
has been a consistent member of the Pres-
byterian church, and a liberal contributor
to the support of that institution.

Mr. Roberts married Charlotte, who died
in 1862, a daughter of Bernard Geiger, one
of the earliest settlers in Dauphin county.
They had children: John B., Alexander H.,
James and George. In his political views
Mr. Roberts has always been liberal, has
kept himself well informed on the issues of
the day, but has never sought public office.
He has always taken a deep interest in all
that pertained to the advancement and wel-
fare of the community, and has been active
in giving his support to any plan which was
for its benefit.



McClelland, james h.,

Architect, Builder.

To characterize in few words the achieve-
ments and abilities of such a man as the late
James H. McClelland, one of the most noted
architects and builders that has ever honored
the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, by
residence in it, is to attempt the well-nigh
impossible. His life was in large measure
an object lesson, teaching plainly his belief
in the true brotherhood of man, and the
noble ideas which he fostered and promul-
gated have been inherited by his sons, whose
sketches follow this, the names of Dr.
James H. McClelland, Dr. John B. McClel-
land and Dr. Robert W. McClelland being
blessed by countless numbers. \\'ith a soul
far above mere business gain, James H. Mc-
Clelland was esteemed throughout the busi-
ness community for the integrity and hon-
esty with which he conducted all his busi-
ness transactions, and his word was in truth
considered as a bond. The memory of such
a man can never die. The structures he
created, the noble ideals to which he gave
visible form, will ever arouse a deep interest
and an earnest desire to emulate them. The
vivid imagination with which so many chil-
dren of the Emerald Isle are gifted found



879



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



varied expression in the beautiful creations
of James H. McClelland, and it is well for
the beauty of the city that this is the case.
His sons have inherited the brilliant mind
of their father, but have turned these ideas
in the direction of assisting suffering human-
ity with an equal amount of success.

James H. McClelland was born two miles
from Belfast, in County Down, North of
Ireland, September 23, 1800, and died in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, March 15, 1871.
At the age of sixteen years his energetic
and enterprising nature would no longer
permit him to ignore the opportunities which
appeared to beckon from the shores of the
New World. He accordingly emigrated to
America and settled in Pittsburgh, Penn-
sylvania, in 1816. Earnest and studious in
his habits he took up the profession of
architecture, not alone by means of theo-
retical study but by actual practical work as
an architect and builder. Many of the finest
buildings in the city are the productions of
his genius, and with his ideal and imagina-
tive work as an architect he combined the
practical work of a contractor. In numer-
ous instances he played the dual role of con-
tractor and superintendent of construction
work, an ordeal which only a man of his
fine constitution could have successfully
carried out. His designs were repeatedly
commended by those best able to judge of
such matters, and his promptness in the
execution of orders became proverbial. In
manner he was simple and direct, coming
clearly and concisely to any point which he
wished to make. What was characteristic
of his speech was also characteristic of his
work. His plans were always carefully
thought out down to the veriest detail be-
fore work was commenced upon them, and
when once begim the work progressed along
well defined lines which prevented unneces-
sary delay. As a writer Mr. McClelland
possessed graphic powers of description
which made anything emanating from his
pen a pleasure to read, and his intense inter-
est in the public welfare made him a fre-



quent and ever welcome contributor to the
daily press. Appreciation of his well de-
served popularity was shown in 1867, when
he was appointed postmaster of the city of
Pittsburgh, an office which, although it had
come to him without personal solicitation
on his part, he filled with remarkable execu-
tive ability until his death.

Mr. McClelland married, February 12,
1835, Elizabeth Thomson, daughter of Rev.
John Black, D. D., who was born in the
North of Ireland, but was of Scotch ances-
try. He was graduated from the Univer-
sity of Glasgow, and came to the United
States in 1797. His power as a pulpit orator
won him fame all over the country, and for
half a century he was pastor of the First
Reformed Presbyterian Church of Pitts-
burgh. As a man of learning he had few
equals in his day, and his facile and grace-
ful pen gained him a large circle of ad-
mirers. For a period of twelve years he
held the chair of Professor of Languages in
the Western University of Pennsylvania,
and under his able tuition his daughter,
Mrs. James H. McClelland, became ex-
ceptionally well read in ancient and modern
literature. Mr. and Mrs. McClelland had
eleven children: Two sons, each in turn
named John Black, both dying in infancy;
Thomas C, who fought bravely in the Civil
War and was killed in battle ; Mary Watson
Pentland ; Elizabeth Black, who married
Rev. J. S. Kelsey; Sarah Collins; Annie
Eva; Dr. James H., who is the subject of
a following narrative; Dr. John Black, de-
ceased; William B., deceased, who was an
able member of the Pittsburgh bar ; Dr.
Robert W., who is written of on following
pages.

In many respects Mr. McClelland was a
model in business life. While it was but
natural that he should desire success to
crown his efforts, he would accept this only
if it were founded on truth and honor.
False representations were abhorrent to
him, and the mere thought of a possible
greater monetary gain never appealed to



880



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



him. Characteristic of the man were his
industry, his practical mind and his power
of organization. His nature was genial and
sympathetic and in complete harmony with
his fine personal appearance. His language,
while rich and imaginative, was simple and
unaffected, and a rich sense of humor per-
vaded all his utterances.



McClelland, Dr. James H.,

Physician, Surgeon, Professional Instructor.

The worthy and intellectual son of a
worthy and intellectual father, — what higher
praise can be bestowed upon a human being ?



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 27 of 58)