Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 28 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 28 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Dr. James H. McClelland, son of James H.
McClelland, whose sketch precedes this, is
a man of unusual ability in his profession
and in all other relations of life. The clear
and cogent reasoning with which he en-
forces his views on all subjects, as well as
the richness of the language employed, make
of him an opponent exceedingly difficult to
overcome. His social and official position
places him in the foremost ranks of the citi-
zens of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and his
professional work is of the highest order
of merit.

Dr. James H. McClelland, son of James
H. and Elizabeth Thomson (Black) Mc-
Clelland, was born in Pittsburgh, May 20,
1845. After an excellent preparatory edu-
cation he received the honorary degree of
Sc. D. from the University of Pitts-
burgh. He then became a student at the
Hahnemann Medical College of Philadel-
phia, from which he was graduated with
honor in 1867. He at once established him-
self in the practice of his profession in his
native city, and almost from the commence-
ment of his professional career his skill and
research and the exceptionally fine results
he has achieved attracted widespread atten-
tion. In addition to a large private prac-
tice he has held numerous official pro-
fessional positions, and has been the leading
spirit in many professional organizations
and institutions. He is associated in his



general practice with his two brothers, a
sketch of one of whom. Dr. Robert W.,
follows this.

Dr. James H. McClelland is held in high
esteem by his professional brethren, and his
services as a consulting physician are in
frequent demand in difficult cases. The
many students who have profited under his
tuition freely acknowledge the benefit gained
while studying with him, and by means of
these students the influence of Dr. McClel-
land is felt in all parts of the world. It is
chiefly owing to the individual efforts of
Dr. McClelland that the first training school
for nurses was founded in the city of Pitts-
burgh. From the time of his return to the
city of Pittsburgh, after his graduation, he
became a member of the surgical staff of
the Homoeopathic Medical and Surgical
Hospital of Pittsburgh, and has served in
this capacity since that time. He organized,
and for several years was president and
demonstrator in the Anatomical Society of
Allegheny County. In 1876 he became Pro-
fessor of Surgery in the Hahnemann Col-
lege in Philadelphia, and filled this impor-
tant chair for a period of two years. Sub-
sequently he delivered a course on operative
surgery at the Boston University School of
Medicine, 1878. He is a member of the
board of trustees of the Pittsburgh Homoeo-
pathic Hospital, a member of the surgical
staff' of the hospital, and was an active
worker in behalf of erecting the buildings
which the hospital now occupies. The lib-
eral views entertained by Dr. McClelland
and the active interest he takes in any
project which tends to the betterment of
civic conditions make him an important
factor in public matters. He has been a
member of the State Board of Health since
1885; was vice-president of the Association
of Health Authorities, of which the Gov-
ernor of the State is president ; is a member
of the Sanitary Commission of Allegheny
County, the American Public Health Asso-
ciation, the Pittsburgh Golf Club, the Uni-
versity Club, and was vice-president of the
881



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Hospital Staff Association of Western
Pennsylvania. He has been president of:
The American Institute of Homoeopathy,
Allegheny County Homoeopathic Medical
Society, East End Doctors' Club, and the
Pennsylvania State Homoeopathic Medical
Society. He is also a member of the Pitts-
burgh Academy of Science and Art, Art
Society of Pittsburgh, the Civic Club of
Allegheny County, and the American Society
of Social Political Science.

Dr. McClelland was elected honorary
president of the International Homoeopathic
Medical Congress which met at Paris,
France, in 1900, and president of the Con-
gress that met at Atlantic City in 1906. In
the field of literature he has also earned his
laurels. He is a frequent contributor to
medical journals, and his articles are always
read with interest by his colleagues. One of
his writings was an article on "Diseases of
the Kidneys," which appeared in the "Sys-
tem of Medicine," edited by Dr. Henry
Arndt, in Philadelphia, 1886. The pro-
fessional duties of Dr. McClelland make too
great inroads upon his time, so that he has
but little to spare for social functions.
Nevertheless he is loved for his genial dis-
position and for the readiness with which
he throws himself into any scheme for the
assistance of those less fortunately situated.
The good works done in the name of charity
or religion are always assured of his hearty
cooperation, and he never appears to be
too busy with his important duties to answer
the call of a poor patient.

Dr. McClelland married, June 26, 1884,
Rachel, a daughter of John P. and Rachel
(Paul) Pears. They have been blessed
with three children: Sarah Collins, Rachel
Pears and Elizabeth, who died in infancy.
Mrs. McClelland, who is a member of the
Twentieth Century Club of Pittsburgh, is a
clever, thoughtful woman of culture and
character, and is a charming hostess at the
beautiful home of the family, "Sunny
Ledge." Her gentle manner and a quiet
seriousness which pervades all she does en-



dear her to all who come in contact with
her. The home life is an ideal one of refine-
ment and intellectuality.



McClelland, Dr. Robert Watson,

Physician, Orthopedist, Professional In-
structor.

Dr. Robert Watson McClelland, a younger
brother of the famous Dr. James H. Mc-
Clelland, whose sketch precedes this, has
achieved a reputation during the practice of
more than a quarter of a century, of which
he may justly be proud. His professional
brethren freely acknowledge his proficiency
in many branches of the medical profession,
and honor him with their esteem for the
splendid record he has made.

Dr. McClelland is one of the younger
sons of the late James H. and Elizabeth
Thomson (Black) McClelland, and was
born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 22,
1857. His elementary and college prepara-
tory education was acquired in the public
schools of his native city, after which he
was a student at Lafayette College for a
period of two years, and followed this with
a course of study at Cornell University,
being graduated from this institution in
1882, at which time the degree of Bachelor
of Sciences was conferred upon him. His
work at Cornell also included a preliminary
course in the study of medicine, which en-
abled him to enter second year at the med-
ical college. He then commenced the study
of medicine at Hahnemann Medical College,
Philadelphia, from which he was graduated
two years later with the degree of Doctor
of Medicine. A considerable amount of
time was then spent by Dr. McClelland in
traveling abroad, making special studies in
various hospitals. A special course in
orthopedics was taken under Professor
Wolff, of Berlin, and a special clinical
course under the noted Dr. Lorenz, of
Vienna, who effected many wonderful cures
during his recent visit to this country. Upon
his return to his native city Dr. McClelland



882





. ^^<c>^/.^05^«^ ,=, ^/,




^^PTa^^Uc:^ ^-<^^5i^^e<^*2?>^^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



established himself in the general practice
of medicine in association with his two
brothers, Dr. J. H. and Dr. J. B. McClel-
land, and is still (1913) associated with
them. As a close student of human nature
in connection with his professional work he
takes high rank, and the knowledge he has
thus acquired has greatly furthered the suc-
cess of his efforts. His patience is prac-
tically inexhaustible and his skill in master-
ing the details of a case has aroused the
enthusiasm of those competent to judge.
He is connected with numerous professional
institutions and organizations, in all of
which his counsel is highly prized. He is
a member of the orthopedic staff of the
Homoeopathic Hospital of Pittsburgh, and
in the Training School for Nurses, which is
connected with the hospital, he is the lec-
turer on anatomy and physiology. He is a
member of the Pennsylvania State Med-
ical Society, the East End Doctors' Club,
Allegheny County Homoeopathic Medical
Society, American Institute of Homoeo-
pathy, University Club, Pittsburgh Golf
Club, and Cornell Club of Western Penn-
sylvania, having been the first president of
the last mentioned association. As a Mason
he has attained the thirty-second degree, is
a member of Franklin Lodge, No. 221, Free
and Accepted Masons; the Pennsylvania
Consistory, and the Ancient and Accepted
Scottish Rite. His religious affiliations are
with the Third Presbyterian Church of
Pittsburgh, of which he is a member, and
his political support is given to the Repub-
lican party. He has never devoted time to
active political work, but he takes a keen
interest in all matters concerning the public
welfare.

In addition to being a man of great force
of character and possessing a vast amount
of professional knowledge. Dr. McClelland
is a cultured scholar in all branches of learn-
ing. This latter attribute, in connection
with his cordial manner and sympathetic
heart, has won for him the warm regard of



a large circle of friends, and he is a wel-
come visitor wherever he makes his appear-
ance.



RICHARDS, Louis,

Iia^vyer and Law AVriter.

Louis Richards, law writer and member
of the Bar of Berks county, Pennsylvania,
was born May 6, 1842, at Gloucester Fur-
nace, Atlantic county, New Jersey, of which
his father, John Richards, was proprietor.
The latter, a native of Berks county, came
of a vigorous stock of Welsh descent, his
ancestors having settled in Amity township
as early as 1718. He was for many years
of his long and active life engaged in the
iron manufacturing business, principally in
the State of New Jersey, representing also
Gloucester county in the Assembly in 1836
and 1837. From 1848 to 1854 he resided at
Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, as proprietor
of the Carbon Iron Works at that place, and
in the latter year retired to a handsome
country seat known as "Stowe," in the
vicinity of Pottstown, Montgomery county,
where he died November 29, 1871, at the
patriarchal age of eighty-eight. The sub-
ject of this sketch was his youngest son,
and only child by his second wife, Louisa
(Silvers) Richards, a native of Monmouth
county. New Jersey, descended upon the
maternal side from the well known Rogers
family of that section, and, in the third
generation, from Henry Lawes Luttrell,
Second Earl of Carhampton. Employed in
early life as an instructor of youth, she was
distinguished for her mental culture, marked
individuality of character, and social tastes
and accomplishments. Her decease occurred
January 26, 18S0, when well advanced in
her eighty-first year.

Mr. Richards received his preliminary
education in the public schools of Mauch
Chunk, and subsequently took an academical
course, attending the West Jersey Collegiate
School at Mount Holly, New Jersey, the



883



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Hill School at Pottstown, and the Upland
Normal Institute at Chester, Pennsylvania.
In November, 1861, he came to reside at
Reading, commenced the study of the lavir
under the direction of his cousin, John S.
Richards, Esq., a highly talented and widely-
known practitioner at the Berks County
Bar, and was admitted to practice January
16, 1865. While a student he served in the
Pennsylvania Militia, during the invasions
of the State by the Confederate armies in
1862 and 1863.

Having an early inclination to write, he
contributed largely to the press, both before
and after his admission to the Bar, furnish-
ing incidentally accurate reports of all the
cases tried in the county courts during the
greater part of the period in which they
were presided over by the Hon. Warren J.
Woodward. In 1869 he married, and en-
gaged in journalism, becoming a partner of
the firm of J. Knabb & Co., in the publica-
tion of the "Reading Times and Dispatch,"
and the "Berks and Schuylkill Journal," the
daily and weekly organs of the Republican
party in Berks. In 1871 he resold his inter-
est to the firm, and resumed the practice of
the law. In 1875 he purchased his father's
estate at "Stowe," which he occasionally
occupied until 1882, when he disposed of it
to the Pottstown Iron Company, which
erected thereon a very large manufacturing
plant.

For many years Mr. Richards devoted
much attention to municipal law, and the
municipal affairs of his adopted city. While
serving as a member of its Councils in 1875-
76 he personally revised, amended and codi-
fied its local laws, and published in the latter
year the first Digest of the Statutes and
Ordinances of Reading. Of this work he
subsequently compiled two other and more
elaborate editions, containing many valuable
notes and citations of judicial decisions. In
December, 1876, he was selected as Secre-
tary of the State Municipal Commission,
appointed by Governor Hartranft to devise



a uniform plan for the better government
of the cities of Pennsylvania. Of this body,
which was composed of eleven eminent law-
yers and citizens of the State, the Hon. But-
ler B. Strang was chairman. The Commis-
sion presented its final report to the Legisla-
ture in January, 1878, and the principal
features of the code which it submitted
were subsequently incorporated in the Act
of June I, 1885, for the government of the
City of Philadelphia, known as the "Bul-
litt Bill." As a member of committees ap-
pointed by the Inter-Municipal Conven-
tions of 1886 and 188S, Mr. Richards was
deputed to prepare the original drafts of the
Acts of May 24, 1887, and May 23, 1889,
the latter constituting the frame of govern-
ment of cities of the third class in Pennsyl-
vania. In these several capacities he ren-
dered much valuable service to the people of
the State, and acquired a wide reputation as
a skillful draftsman of municipal statutes.
He is a charter member of the Pennsylvania
Bar Association, organized in 1895 > ^ vice-
president (1914), and chairman of its com-
mittee on legal biography. In the interest
of law reform he devised and secured the
passage by the Legislature of the Act of
July 9, 1897, "declaring the construction of
words in a deed, will or instrument, import-
ing a failure of issue."

In 1889, in association with the Hon. G.
A. Endlich, Additional Law Judge of the
Berks district, then also a practitioner at the
Bar, he was the author of a treatise upon
the "Rights and Liabilities of Married
Women in Pennsylvania," devoted princi-
pally to the exposition of the Married Per-
sons' Property Act of 1887, which greatly
enlarged the contractual powers of femmes
covert. In 1895 he issued, in two volumes,
the "Pennsylvania Form Book," containing
precedents in the various branches of law
practice — a work in general use by the pro-
fession throughout the State — and, in 1898,
a "Digest of Acts of Assembly for the Gov-
ernment of Cities of the Third Class,"



884



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



which was followed by two successive edi-
tions. His other published productions in-
clude numerous law pamphlets, historical
and genealogical sketches, and reports and
addresses upon various subjects of profes-
sional or general interest. Profoundly de-
voted to antiquarian researches, he has since
1903 been president of the Historical Soci-
ety of Berks county, giving to its affairs
much attention and intelligent direction. He
is also a member of the Historical Society
of Pennsylvania, and an occasional con-
tributor to its "Magazine of History and
Biography." Plis only business connection
is with the Charles Evans Cemetery Com-
pany, of which he has been for the past
twenty years the efficient secretary and treas-
urer.

Distinguished for his public spirit, he has
employed his time and talents in the pro-
motion of every movement in the line of
progress, good government and reform. In
politics Mr. Richards is a Republican, and
in the presidential campaign of 1884, was
the candidate of the minority party in the
Berks District for Congress, against Daniel
Ermentrout, the sitting member, receiving
9,405 votes. His political views are, how-
ever, strongly tempered with the spirit of
independence, which inclines to subordinate
mere partisan considerations to the superior
obligations of individual good citizenship.

As a member of the Bar he is recognized
as a highly reputable, accurate and pains-
taking practitioner, though it is in the capac-
ity of a writer of marked vigor and skill,
that he is best known to the public. His
literary tastes are cultured and absorbing,
and it is in the companionship of his books,
and the environment of the student, that he
finds his chief entertainment and solace.
Practical and thorough in all his methods
and undertakings, he devotes to the per-
formance of every duty in which he may
engage his best abilities and most conscien-
tious efforts.

Mr. Richards has four children — three
sons and a daughter.



JONES, J. Clancy,

Lanryer, Member of Congress, Diplomat.

When William Penn was looking for col-
onists to settle his newly acquired province,
he met with a prompt response from the
mountains of Wales, and the Welsh immi-
gration into Pennsylvania for some time ex-
ceeded that from any other country. Penn
was himself of Welsh extraction and many
of the Welshmen who conferred with him
in London in the latter part of 1681 were
Quakers like himself.

When this conference was held the Welsh
demanded and received the assurance that
if they went to America, they were to have
their bounds and limits to themselves, within
which all causes, quarrels, crimes and titles
were to be tried and wholly determined by
officers, magistrates and juries, in their own
language and by those who were their
equals, in the same manner and with all the
liberties and provileges they enjoyed in
Wales under the Crown. Their desire was
to form their own community and preserve
their language. In accordance with this un-
derstanding William Penn directed his sur-
veyor-general, Thomas Holmes, to lay out
for them 40,000 acres, extending along the
west bank of the Schuylkill, from what is
now City Line to Conshocken, and as far
west as was necessary to obtain the required
acreage. This survey, known in history as
the "Welsh Tract," included within its bor-
ders most excellent land, and under Welsh
enterprise and industry became the most
prosperous and best cultivated part of the
province, containing in 1684 eighty settle-
ments. The people in Wales kept in close
touch with these colonists by correspond-
ence, by the return of an occasional emi-
grant and by new settlers going out. Among
those who were affected by the course of
events in Pennsylvania was David Jones,
born in August, 1709, in the parish of Llan-
gower, Merionethshire, the most mountain-
ous county in Wales. He was a son of Rev.
William Jones, a clergyman of the Church



885



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of England, a graduate of Oxford Univer-
sity, B. A., 1684. His mother died when he
was very young, and, his father having mar-
ried again, the lad left Wales with some
relatives who settled in the Welsh Tract, in
what is now Radnor township, Delaware
county.

Fourteen years later, David Jones mar-
ried Elizabeth, youngest of the eight chil-
dren of William Davies, a Welshman of
prominence among his countrymen, a large
landowner, and one of the founders of old
St. David's Church, Radnor ; a vestryman,
warden and donor in 1715 of the ground
upon which the present church is built. It
was at the house of William Davies that
services were held in 1700 and for several
years afterward. David Jones and Eliza-
beth Davies were married May 10, 1735,
and made their first home in the beautiful
valley of the Conestoga, north of the Welsh
Mountain. Here David Jones, who had
inherited some money from his mother, pur-
chased one thousand acres in the Upper
Valley and about four hundred acres in the
Lower Valley, near Bangor Church. He
cultivated his fertile fields, opened and
developed iron mines and is described as
"one of the foremost ironmasters of his
day." His farm and mine workers were
mostly slaves, brought from the Congo and
Senegambia, and bought in Philadelphia,
direct from the ships. The descendants of
these slaves were held and bequeathed by
their masters until slavery in Pennsylvania
became extinct. David Jones, in 1752, when
the County of Berks was erected, found his
location included in the new county, the new
county seat, Reading, being fourteen miles
distant, to the north.

Jonathan Jones, second son of David and
Elizabeth (Davies) Jones, was born in Caer-
narvon township, in November, 173S. He
married. May 2, 1760, a relative, Margaret,
daughter of John and Mary Davies, and
great-granddaughter of William Davies, of
Radnor, of previous mention. Jonathan



Jones purchased a large farm above St.
Thomas' Church, in the Conestoga Valley,
where he built a stone residence in the
colonial style, that is still standing, and there
he lived, cultivating his lands, until the War
of the Revolution drew him into military
life. He was one of the first captains com-
missioned in the First Battalion Pennsylva-
nia Line; was on duty in Philadelphia until
January, 1776, when he joined the expedi-
tion for the invasion of Canada, marched six
hundred miles, and arrived before Quebec in
March. He was with Arnold at the Cedars
and Three Rivers, June 8, 1776, and his will
recorded in Berks county bears date at Fort
Ticonderoga, where it was written during
that expedition. On October 25, 1776, he
was promoted to the rank of major. He
was with Washington at Trenton, Decem-
ber 26, 1776, was commissioned lieutenant-
colonel, March 12, 1777, and later was in
command of his regiment stationed in Phil-
adelphia. In the summer of 1777 he was
stricken with paralysis, which affliction com-
pelled him to resign. He afterward was a
commissioner under the test laws, a member
of the House of Assembly, and lieutenant-
colonel of Berks County Militia. He died
September 26, 1782, and is buried in Bangor
churhcyard, Churchtown, Lancaster county,
Pennsylvania.

Jehu Jones, tenth child of Lieutenant-
Colonel Jonathan and Margaret (Davies)
Jones, was born in the family homestead,
near St. Thomas' Church, January 24, 1778.
He was liberally educated and prepared for
the bar but never practiced his profession,
spending his life as the schoolmaster of
Connestoga. He married, April 13, 1800,
Sarah, daughter of Owen Clancy, a gradu-
ate of Trinity College, Dublin, who was
also a Conestoga schoolmaster. Sarah Clan-
cy's mother was Elizabeth, a descendant of
Henry and Jean Pawling, who came to
Philadelphia county, Pennsylvania, from
New York, in 1720. During the War of
1812-14, Jehu Jones served under Captain
George Hetzelberger, enlisting in 1814 and



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



marching to the defence of Baltimore. He
died at Morgantown, November 24, 1864,
at the advanced age of eighty-four years,
and is buried with his wife in the church-
yard of St. Thomas' Church.

From this stock sprang Jehu Glancy
Jones, the subject of this sketch, lawyer,
statesman and patriot, son of Jehu and
Sarah (Glancy) Jones. He was born in the
Conestoga Valley, October 7, 181 1. At the
age of sixteen years he was ready for col-
lege, and after due deliberation the newly
founded "Kenyon College," at Gambler,
Ohio, an Episcopal college founded by
Bishop Philander Chase, was selected as
his alma mater. There Mr. Jones laid the
foundation of a ripe scholarship. He was a
diligent student, and a rare classical scholar,
the habit of reading the New Testament in
the original Greek continuing all his life.
He was fond of athletic sports and was a
fine horseman.

After leaving Kenyon College, Mr. Jones,
in 1831, then twenty years of age, entered a
theological school at Cincinnati, continuing
his studies there until 1834. During this
period he made the trip from Cincinnati to
Philadelphia, seven hundred miles, on horse-
back, was married at the end of his journey
(June 23, 1832) and immediately returned
to Cincinnati with his bride. The itinerary
of that journey affords an interesting illus-
tration of the conveniences or inconveni-
ences of traveling at that time. They left
Arch street wharf, Philadelphia, at 6 a. m.,



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 28 of 58)