Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 36 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 36 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the conversion of the seminary into a State
Normal School for the Third District, con-
sisting of the three counties of Berks, Le-
high and Schuylkill.

The first principal of the school as organ-
ized under the State Normal School law
was Professor John S. Ermentrout. He
served in this capacity from 1866 to 1871.
His successors to date (1900) have been:
Rev. A. A. Home, D. D.. 1871-77; Rev.
Nathan C. Schaefifer, Ph. D., D. D., 1877-
93; Rev. George B. Hancher, Ph., D., 1893-
99: Professor A. C. Rothermel, 1899-1914.

The material growth of the school has
been continuous, phenomenal and substan-
tial. For twenty years building operations
have been almost uninterrupted. The earlier
accommodations were soon outgrown and



now, with the acception of a single three-
story brick building known as the "stewards'
building," not a single one of the first struc-
tures is standing. In 1880 the "Ladies'
Building" was erected; in 1887 the "Chapel
Building" was added; 1S91 saw the addi-
tion of the extensive northern wing or boys'
dormitories; in 1893 the old "main build-
ing" was supplanted by the magnificent
$75,000 "Center Building"; in 1896 came a
splendidly appointed kitchen and laundry;
in 1898 the electric light plant was estab-
lished, and now (1900) while this is being
written the sound of hammer and saw are
plainly heard as the workmen are busily
preparing timbers for the roof of the
superbly appointed "Model School and
Gymnasium Building," which is in process
of erection and which the school will occupy
in the first year of the new century.

The buildings of this normal are in some
respect unique; all of the structures are
practically under one roof, the separate edi-
fices being connected by covered bridges
built on steel beams, thus affording protec-
tion to the students in inclement weather as
they pass from their dormitories to the vari-
ous recitation or assembly rooms. The
rooms, both those used as dormitories and
those utilized for recitations are large, airy,
well lighted and well heated. The full
amount of space to each student required
by sanitary ideals are here most fully pro-
vided. A passenger elevator, operated by
steam and water power, conveys pupils to
the various floors whither their duties call
them.

The equipment of the school is select and
extensive, additional outlay being made for
this each year by a progressive and zealous
board of trustees. There are three libraries,
each containing some thousands of volumes;
one of these is the general reference library,
the others are the property of the two flour-
ishing literary societies. To each of these
libraries constant additions are being made.
The apparatus for the physical, chemical
and biological departments is full and when
the new laboratories are completed the
school, in this matter, will rank second to
none of its class.

Under the direction of Dr. N. C. Schaef-
fer, who was a member of the Pennsylvania
industrial commission, the manual training
department was established in 1891. P'rom
that time to the present (1900) manual
training has been maintained regularly, the



930



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



instruction being given on pedagogical lines,
the course being at the same time eminently
practical and obtaining marked recognition
in the reports of the United States Com-
mission of Education. During the current
year it is pioposed to add, in this depart-
ment, plain sewing for the female pupils ;
clay modeling and mechanical drawmg as
portions of the course in manual training
are in successful practice under the direc-
tion of the instructor in drawing and the
fine arts. In fine arts, drawing, painting
and crayoning are thoroughly taught to
pupils requiring or electing these branches.

Although intellectual ability must be
ranked as of greater worth than mere phy-
sical prowess, nevertheless this school recog-
nizes the value of a sound physical basis for
mental capacity, consequently the physical
nature of the pupils is not neglected. For
some years a well equipped gymnasium has
been in use in temporary quarters. On the
completion of the new building it will be
installed in more suitable and commodious
quarters. On recently acquired land tennis
courts and a capacious football field have
been laid out on which, as on the baseball
diamond on the old campus, the Athletic
Association holds its contests and students
generally find relief from tedium of study in
physical e.xercise and manly games.

Years ago the Keystone State Normal
School set for one of its aims that of train-
ing students to think and to think exactly,
freely and independently. To this aim the
school adheres and the faculty do all in
their power to develop in the students the
two things of most and lasting benefit to
themselves, namely, character and capacity.
This aim it is believed is largely realized.

The value of the buildings, grounds, and
equipment are estimated at $8oo,ooo. The
significance of the work done for our State
and county in these years of the existence
of the school cannot be estimated. One
prominent instrumentality in furthering the
work of the school is the quarterly maga-
zine, the "Normal Vidette," published under
the auspices of the faculty and trustees.
This is a well printed, illustrated school
journal, averaging fifty pages to the issue.
The first number was issued in March,
1894. Its present managing editor is Pro-
fessor L. B. Sinnette, to whom much of its
present success is due.

During recent years the faculty has been
considerably augmented in numbers and



it is the effort of the institution to keep
abreast of the age in every respect. The
growth in attendance of pupils and in the
number of graduates is gratifying, placing,
as it does, this normal school in tiie front
rank of normal schools of our country.



HILLMAN, John Hartwell,

Man of Affairs, Financier.

The Iron City ! The name tells of a
titanic industry developed and conducted by
men strong of heart and brain — men of the
type of the late John Hartwell Hillman,
founder and for many years head of the
firm of J. H. Hillman & Sons, iron brokers,
and a pioneer in the coke manufacture of
Western Pennsylvania. Mr. Hillman be-
longed to a race of ironmasters, the Hillman
family being prominent in six of the United
States in ironmaking, viz. : New Jersey,
Alabama, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Ohio
and Tennessee.

(I) The first account that is mentioned
of a Hillman in West Jersey is in 1697,
when John Hillman, a husbandman, pur-
chased a plantation of Francis i^ollins. This
contained one hundred and seventy acres
of land and was situated in Gloucester (now
Center) township, Camden county, New
New Jersey. This farm lay on both sides
of the present road from Haddonrield to
Snow Hill. In 1720, by deed of gift, he
conveyed the tract of land to his son John
(who was married in this year), anticipat-
ing his will in that particular. At his death,
about 1729, his personal property amounted
to one hundred and ninety-two pounds. His
wife Margaret survived him. Their chil-
dren : Daniel, see below ; John ; Ann, and
Abigail.

(II) Daniel, son of John and Margaret
Hillman, was born, it is believed, before his
parents came to New Jersey. He settled
on a tract of one hundred acres given to
him by his father in his will, which was
purchased in 1701, of William Sharp. Here
he erected a house and cleared the farm.
This was situated in what was then Glou-



931



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



cester township (now Center). He died
during 1754 and in his will, dated October
17, 1754, leaves legacies to his wife Eliza-
beth, and to his sons who were as follows:
John ; Daniel, see below ; Joseph, and James.

(HI) Daniel, son of Daniel and Eliza-
beth Hillman, is supposed to have been born
about 1720. On November 9, 1743. the
monthly meeting book of the Society of
Friends of Haddontield, New Jersey, had
the record of Daniel Hillman jr. and Abi-
gail Nicholson (see Nicholson line) appear-
ing and declaring their intention of marry-
ing. Consent was given December 13, 1743,
and on January 12, 1744, it was recorded
that it had been accomplished. On Octo-
ber 17, 1754, he, with his brother John,
bought of Timothy Matlock a lot on the
northwest side of the Main street, in Had-
donfield, where the Methodist church now
stands. Sold part of same to John Shivers,
May IS, 1758. He died about 1763. Chil-
dren of Daniel and Abigail (Nicholson)
Hillman: Daniel, Sarah, Elizabeth, Samuel
(see forward).

(IV) Samuel Hillman, son of Daniel and
Abigail (Nicholson) Hillman, the great-
grandfather of John Hartwell Hillman, was
of Trenton, New Jersey, and is known in
history as the "fighting Quaker," having, in
defiance of the peace principles of the Soci-
ety of Friends, enlisted in the Continental
army. In consequence he was dismissed
from the Trenton meeting. He was under
age when his father died, and the exact date
of his birth is not known. The records of
the Adjutant General's office. State of New
Jersey, show that he was enrolled as a pri-
vate in Captain Richard Chesseman's com-
pany of light horse, attached to the First
Battalion Gloucester county. New Jersey,
militia ; also private in Captain John Stokes'
company of the Second Battalion, Glouces-
ter county. New Jersey, militia ; also pri-
vate in Captain Franklin Davenport's com-
pany of artillery attached to General Silas
Newcomb's brigade of New Jersey militia ;
also private of Captain Thomas Hugg's



western company of artillery, New Jersey
State Troops, during the Revolutionary
War. He married Mary Hannold, about
1782. Their children were: Daniel (see
below), James, George, Abigail, Maria, and
Sarah. He was an iron manufacturer and
in casting in his lot with the patriots aban-
doned not only his creed but his means of
livelihood. His ardor stood the test, carry-
ing him triumphantly through the seven
years' struggle for independence.

(V) Daniel, son of Samuel and Mary
(Hannold) Hillman, was in partnership
with his brother James in the iron business
at Trenton, New Jersey. He afterward
went to Kentucky, about 1820, and engaged
in the iron business. He built the first forge
in Tuskaloosa county, Alabama, in 1829,
and another in 1830 at Tannehill. Shortly
after coming west he became associated
with a number of men, among them Ralph
McGehee and Richard B. Walker, who were
impressed with the immense deposits of
brown hematite ore in Roupes Valley, Ala-
bama, and they decided to try the experi-
ment of making iron on a cheap scale for
the Jefferson county settlers, the nearest
market for bar iron being then at Tuska-
loosa. With the assistance of Mr. Hillman
the company erected a little furnace on a
bold little stream which runs across Roupes
Valley and flows into Shade's creek. Here
a large hammer, propelled by water, ham-
mered out the best kind of tough metal and
supplied the counties for some distance
around with plows, horseshoes and hollow
ware. He married Grace Huston, and their
children were: Daniel (see below). George,
Grace, Charles, James. He died in the State
of Alabama in 1832.

(VI) Daniel, son of Daniel and Grace
(Huston) Hillman, was born near Tren-
ton, New Jersey, 1807. He became exten-
sively associated with the manufacture of
charcoal, pig iron and boiler plates in Ken-
tucky and Tennessee. He prospected through
Jones Valley, Alabama, shortly after the
Civil War, and purchased the ore properties

932




r i



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



on Red mountain, known to-day as the
Songo Mines, which are operated by the
Birmingham Coal and Iron Company. He
was the founder of the great "Hillman Iron
Works." His sons followed their hereditary
calling — one of them, John Hartwell, is
mentioned below. The other, T. T. Hill-
man, became president of the Tennessee
Coal and Iron Company. The wife of Daniel
Hillman was Ann, daughter of Dr. Jolin
Hartwell and Ann (Watson) Marable, of
an old Virginia family.

(VII) John Hartwell, son of Daniel and
Ann (Marable) Hillman, was born Septem-
ber 27, 1841, in Montgomery county, Ten-
nessee, and received his education in schools
of the neighborhood and at Nashville Mili-
tary Academy, now Nashville University.
Upon reaching manhood he followed in the
footsteps of his ancestors, choosing to de-
vote himself to the iron business. In asso-
ciation with his father and brother he
formed the firm of Daniel Hillman & Sons,
a flourishing concern which for many years
operated furnaces and rolling mills in Ken-
tucky and Tennessee. During the Civil
War he manufactured charcoal iron for
cannon and cannon balls. He was on the
Confederate side, and fought under General
Forrest, although his father was a Union
man. After his father's death he continued
in the manufacture of charcoal iron and
boiler plate until the advent of steel boiler
plate. In the South in the old days it was
his custom to trade with the Pittsburgh
machinery manufacturers, and the ex-
changes then were made by water, the ma-
chinery being sent South by boat, on the
rises, to the furnaces and rolling mills
located on the Cumberland river, and pay-
ment being made in pig iron. These ex-
changes took place in the days when ma-
chinery was worth eight cents to twelve
cents a pound, and the pig iron from $50 to
$65 a ton.

Mr. Hillman moved to Pittsburgh in 1886
and started the brokerage firm of J. H. Hill-
man & Company, which later became J. H.



Hillman & Sons, a corporation which holds
to-day a position of proud preeminence in
the sphere not only of iron manufacture
but of the coal and coke business. Mr.
Hillman became one of the pioneers in the
manufacture of coke, being the first to bring
Southern coke pig iron into Pittsburgh,
shipment being made by river on coal barges
returning from Southern trade. This was
about 1888. About 1893 lie became inter-
ested in Connellsville coking coal and was
active in the opening up of the lower Con-
nellsville or Klondike district, in which by
far the greater percentage of Connellsville
coke is manufactured to-day. He later be-
came interested in the manufacture of the
coke himself and continued in this business
up to the time of his death. His accurate
estimate of men enabled him to surround
himself with assistants who seldom failed
to meet his expectations and his clear and
far-seeing mind grasped every detail of a
project, however great its magnitude. In
July, 1913, the J. H. Hillman & Sons Com-
pany purchased a controlling interest m the
Bessemer Coke Company, which owns ap-
proximately two thousand three hundred
acres of coking coal in the Connellsville and
Klondike regions. J. H. Hillman Jr., of
the firm of J. H. Hillman & Sons, is now
president of the company. With the acquisi-
tion of these lands the purchasers have be-
come the largest shippers of coke in the
United States. Their total output, includ-
ing the new acquisition, will be 3,500,000
tons of coke annually, and a large quantity
of bituminous coal which will be shipped
to all parts of the United States and Mex-
ico. Truly, John Hartwell Hillman's works
follow him, and he has left successors more
than able to continue them.

In everything pertaining to the welfare
of Pittsburgh, Mr. Hillman ever manifested
a keen and helpful interest. A Republican
in politics, he always steadily refused to be-
come a candidate for office, but gave the
loyal support of a good citizen to all meas-
ures which he deemed calculated to con-



933



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



serve the cause of good government. A lib-
eral giver to charity, he ever sought, in the
bestowal of his benefactions, to avoid the
public gaze. He was a member of the Sons
of the American Revolution, the Duquesne
Club, and a number of other societies and
clubs in the Pittsburgh district. The per-
sonality of Mr. Hillman carried with it an
atmosphere of energy, alertness and calm
and forceful confidence. Fine looking and
dignified, his resolute face lighted by keen
but kindly eyes, his whole aspect and bear-
ing were those of a man accustomed to be
deferred to. Possessing generous impulses
and a chivalrous sense of honor, it could be
truly said of him, as it often was, "His word
is as good as his bond." Richly endowed
with those personal qualities which win and
hold friends, he was genial, courteous and
kindly in manner and speech, a gentleman
in every sense of the word.

Mr. Hillman married, June 2, 1869, Sallie
Murfree Frazer, whose ancestral record is
appended to this sketch, and the following
children were born to them: John H. ;
Ernest ; James F. ; Harry ; Elizabeth, de-
ceased ; Mary, deceased ; and Sara F. John
H. Hillman, already mentioned as of the
firm of J. H. Hillman & Sons, and presi-
dent of the Bessemer Coke Company, is
also president and director of the United
Connellsville Coke Company and a director
of the Connellsville Central Coke Company.
Ernest Hillman is also of the firm of J. H.
Hillman & Sons, and a director of the
United Connellsville Coke Company. James
F. Hillman, like his brother, belongs to the
firm of J. H. Hillman & Sons. All the sons,
as their records testify, have inherited a
large measure of their father's business abil-
ity. Miss Sara Hillman contributes to news-
papers and periodicals, articles of historic
value.

A woman of much individuality and dis-
tinction and possessing what is rare among
her sex, namely, business acumen of a high
order, Mrs. Hillman is also invested with
the charm of domesticity, and this combina-



tion of traits fitted her in an exceptional
manner to be the true and sympathizing
helpmate of a man like her husband. De-
votion to the ties of family and friendship
was the ruling motive of Mr. Hillman's
life and never was he so happy as at his own
fireside, surrounded by the members of the
household and by those who were admitted
to the circle of his intimacy. Mrs. Hillman
is a member of the Pittsburgh Chapter,
Daughters of the American Revolution;
Dolly Madison Chapter, United States
Daughters War of 1812; and the Society
of Colonial Dames of America. Mrs. Hill-
man founded in 191 3, in memory of her
daughter, the Elizabeth Hillman Memorial
Scholarship in Maryville College, Mary-
ville, Tennessee. It was given through the
Daughters of the American Revolution,
Pittsburgh Chapter, of which Elizabeth Hill-
man was a member. The scholarship is in
perpetuity for mountain girls who are to
be educated in the college. Mrs. Hillman
also founded, in memory of her daughter
Mary, the Mary G. Hillman Memorial
Scholarship in the Hindman Women's
Christian Temperance Union School, Hind-
man, Kentucky. This scholarship was
founded and given through the Dolly Madi-
son Chapter, United States Daughters of
War of 1812. It is held in perpetuity for
the education of mountain girls.

The death of Mr. Hillman, which occur-
red October 10, 191 1, removed from Pitts-
burgh a man whose business capacity was of
the highest order, a citizen of active patriot-
ism and a man of refined tastes and benevo-
lent disposition — one who, in every relation
of life, had never wavered in his loyalty to
the loftiest principles.

The history of the Hillman family is the
history of one of the dynasties of the iron
world — a dynasty which, for a century and
a half, has helped to build up the domina-
tion of a mighty industry. First, in the old
colonial province of New Jersey ; next, in
the far Southern climate and environment
of Alabama; then, strong and powerful,



934



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



building and operating in Kentucky and
Tennessee a great factory known far and
wide as "Hillman's." The scene changes
to Pennsylvania, greatest of Iron States,
and to Pittsburgh, the supreme Iron City,
and there we see John Hartwell Hillman
founding and building up a house which
maintains the ancient prestige of the family
name and imparts to it additional lustre.
Both as manufacturer and citizen Pitts-
burgh remembers him with gratitude and
pride. His sons, to-day, stand in the front
rank of the city's business men, ably uphold-
ing the Hillman tradition, "Success with
Honor."

(The Nicholson Line).

Samuel and wife Ann, from Wiston, in
Nottinghamshire, England, left in the ship
"Griffith," of London, and arrived in the
Delaware river on September 23, 1675.
They ended their voyage at Eltinburg,
Salem, in the same company that came over
with John Fenwick. Immediately after, or
perhaps before they landed, the agreement
between the patroon and the planters was
drawn up and signed by each of them. This
document is dated June 28, 1675. Previous
to his sailing, Samuel had purchased two
thousand acres, and next after the patroon
was perhaps the wealthiest man in the
colony. On March 3, 1676, he signed as
one of the proprietors, freeholders and in-
habitants of said province of West New
Jersey. In 1681 he and his wife conveyed
to the trustees of Salem meeting his sixteen
acre lot in Salem, with the house thereon
for meeting purposes. In 1676, as a free-
holder and proprietor, he agreed to the char-
ter for the government of the colony, and
served as the first justice of the peace in
the Fenwick colony. He did not remain in
Salem many years, but removed to a planta-
tion which he owned upon Alloway's creek,
on Monmouth river, as it was then called,
where he died in 1685, intestate. Ann, his
wife, died in 1694. Their children were as
follows: Parabol, born February 7, 1659;
Elizabeth, born March 22, 1664; Samuel,



born August 30, 1666; Joseph (see for-
ward) ; Abel, born May 2, 1672.

(II) Joseph, son of Samuel and Ann
Nicholson, was born in England, February,
1669, and married Hannah, daughter of
Henry Wood, at her house, under care of
meeting, in 1695; he died in 1702; in the
year 1695 he removed from Salem county
to a tract of land on the north side of
Cooper's creek, upon the death of Samuel,
his brother, who by will gave him his entire
estate. Child: Samuel (see below).

(III) Samuel, son of Joseph and Han-
nah (Wood) Nicholson, was born between
1696 and 1702, and married (first) Sarah
Burrough, in 1722; married (second) Re-
becca Saint, in 1744; married (third) Jane
Albertson, widow of William, and daugh/-
ter of John Engle, in 1749. Samuel Nichol-
son died in 1750, leaving the following chil-
dren by his first wife: Joseph, Abel, Abi-
gail (see below), Hannah, Samuel, Sarah.

(IV) Abigail, daughter of Samuel and
Sarah (Burrough) Nicholson, married,
about March, 1743 or 1744, Daniel, son of
Daniel and Elizabeth Hillman.

(The Frazer Line).

The Frazer family was of Scottish origin,
and at some period during the eighteenth
century a branch was transplanted to Ten-
nessee, where the race maintained the dis-
tinction with which it had been invested in
the Old World.

(I) Dr. James Frazer was born in Bed-
ford county, Tennessee, and married, in
1818, Hannah, daughter of Jeremiah and
Martha (Hill) Brown (see Hill line).
Their son, Henry S., is mentioned below.
Dr. Frazer died in 1832, in Wilson county,
Tennessee, and his widow survived him
more than half a century, passing away in
1885, in Lebanon, Tennessee.

(II) Henry S., son of James and Han-
nah (Brown) Frazer, was born March 19,
1820, in Lebanon, Tennessee, and was a
well known lawyer and cotton planter. He
employed on his large estates in Tennessee
and Mississippi many slaves, none of whom



935



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



were ever sold. To the very last he was
opposed to the Civil War, but, like many
others, "went with his State." He married,
November 2, 1848, Elizabeth Maney Mur-
free (see Murfree line), and their children
were: Sallie Murfree, mentioned below,
and James S., who was born October 7,
1852, and was a prominent lawyer of Nash-
ville, partner of Jacob M. Dickinson, Secre-
tary of War in the cabinet of President
Taft. Mr. Frazer died in 1891. The father,
Henry S. Frazer, passed away July i, 1874,
in Nashville. He was an earnest member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church South,
and a true Christian gentleman. His widow,
a devoted member of the same church, is
still living at a very advanced age.

(Ill) Sallie Murfree, daughter of Henry
S. and Elizabeth Maney (Murfree) Frazer,
was born November 16, 1849, '™ Lebanon,
Tennessee, and became the wife of John
Hartwell Hillman, as stated above.

(The HiU Line).

(I) WiUiam Hill, the first ancestor of
record, was born in Virginia, and married
Grace Bennett, a native of North Carolina,
where they seem to have subsequently re-
sided. Their son. Green, is mentioned be-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 36 of 58)