Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 4 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tiring effort that the Republican organiza-
tion was forced to hold primaries according
to law, and otherwise to curb tendencies to
treat public office as a personal perquisite,
in the award of which the people were to
have no voice. Mr. Garrett was a warm
personal friend of Hon. William H. Berry
(afterward Collector of the Port of Phila-
delphia), and in the bitter fight which re-
sulted in the election of that gentleman as
State Treasurer, Mr. Garrett took an active
part, and it was largely due to his effort
that Chester county gave Mr. Berry a
largely increased majority. In the guber-
natorial contest of 1906. Mr. Garrett aided
in forming a coalition of the Democratic
and Lincoln parties, and carried Chester
county. The Lincoln party (generally
called Independents), was practically dor-
mant until 1910, when it became the nucleus
of the "Keystone party," and made its
weight felt. Mr. Garrett was about this
time a member of the State Executive



Board, and he aided largely in bringing
about the election of Mr. Rudolph Blanken-
burgh as mayor, on a ticket opposed to the
"Contractor Rule."

Mr. Garrett was an ardent admirer and
warm supporter of Colonel Roosevelt, and
as a member of the executive board of the
Washington party rendered efficient service
in the last presidential campaign, and he
was deeply chagrined at the defeat of his
friend. In the same campaign, at the Key-
stone Convention, held in Philadelphia, the
nomination for Congressman-at-large was
absolutely forced upon him. He had no
taste for public life, and finally accepted,
only out of his lofty convictions of duty.
His ticket was defeated, but so great was
the estimation in which he was held, that he
polled 30,000 more votes than any of his
fellow candidates — a striking evidence of
his recognition as a man of worth and ster-
ling integrity. This practically was the end
of his active public career.

For many years prior to his death, his
reputation as a man of aft'airs and an ideal
citizen, was State-wide. His honesty of
purpose and wisdom of judgment were such
that his opinion upon both business and
public aft'airs was eagerly sought after, and
was appreciated and depended upon. In
person, he was a striking personality, and
passersby frequently turned to admire him.
A large man, fully six feet in height, and
of portly build, he was fastidious in his
dress, and seemed moulded into it. As a
speaker, he was fluent and forceful : his
commanding appearance and easy manner
held an audience to closest attention. In
his intercourse with his fellows, he was the
personification of consideration and kindly
sympathy. No deserving person ever ap-
pealed to him in vain. He acted steadfastly
upon his chief motto: "Do something for
somebody." His encouraging words and
wholesome advice gave strength ant! com-
fort to many a heart. If assistance was
needed, it was aft'orded cheerfullv and gen-



731



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGILAPHY



erously, and few knew the extent of his
benefactions except those who were the re-
cipients.

Mr. Garrett was married, Xovember 24,
1885, in VVest Chester, to Mary Hiclonan
Ebbs (widow), daughter of Wellington and
Jane E. (Osborne) Hickman. Upon his
return from Englewood Clifif to Chester
county, he purchased the Hickman home-
stead in Thornbury township. It was a
place dear to Mrs. Garrett as the home of
her girlhood ; it had been in the family for
more than a century and Mr. Garrett loved
it for its associations. Known as "Fair
Acres," standing on a gentle eminence
crowned with ancient trees, the house cov-
ered with ivy, it seems to transport the be-
holder back to colonial days. Visitors well
remember the spacious hall, wide as a twen-
tieth century drawing room, with the old
■'grandfather's clock" in the corner, old
enough to have struck the hours when the
battle of Brandywine was fought; the broad
stairway ; the pleasant dwelling rooms, with
their treasures of rare antique furniture
and curios, gathered during many visits to
foreign lands. This home was Mr. Gar-
rett's constant delight. As some one has
remarked, "A man is to be judged by his
home life," and in the light of this utter-
ance, how much might be said of Mr. Gar-
rett. Xo mother ever had a more affec-
tionate .son ; no wife a more devoted hus-
band. Every movement political or social,
was interestingly discussed with her. Only
on the most urgent and important occasions
would he leave her even for a single night,
and then he would return at the earliest
possible moment. Frequently, after ad-
dressing an audience in a far distant town,
in inclement weather which involved dis-
comfort and danger to health, he would re-
turn home in spite of the protests of his
friends. In return, Mrs. Garrett bestowed
upon him a love that knew no relaxation.
During his last illness she scarcely left his
side; the importunity of friends availed



nothing, and she could scarcely be compelled
to take food or rest.

The death of Mr. Garrett occurred Feb-
ruary 27, 1913. The high estimation in
which he was held throughout the State was
evidenced by the many kindly messages
sent to him during his last illness, and to
his widow after his death, by men of
national distinction, including Hon. Wayne
Mac\'eagh, formerly Attorney-General of
the United States, and his business partner
long years before; Hon. Walter H. Page,
Minister to England ; Hon. William H.
Berry, collector of the Port of Philadel-
phia; Hon. Rudolph Blankenburgh, mayor
of Philadelphia ; Isaac Sharpless, LL. D.,
president of Haverford College; J. B. Ken-
dall, LL. D., president of Lincoln Univer-
sity; Mr. H. H. Gilkyson. a distinguished
member of the Chester county bar; and
many others. The epitaph of such a man
might well be that of one of the world's
great humanitarians :

"Servant of God, well done;

They serve Him well, who serve his creatures."



HAY, Thomas A. H.,

lieading Transportation Official.

One of the most successful and enter-
prising "Captains of Industry" to be found
in Easton, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, is Thomas A. H. Hay, who is at the
head and has been the leading spirit in many
of the most important undertakings in that
section of the country. Possessed of
executive ability and foresight to large de-
gree, Mr. Hay lays his plans carefully, giv-
ing due attention to the veriest detail, and
success is an assured fact.

He is a descendant in a direct line of the
Elarl of Erroll, one of whose younger sons.
Colonel Malcolm Hay, espousing the wrong
political side in Scotland had to flee to save
himself. This young Colonel Malcolm Hay
was born in Scotland, and fled to Germany



732




^^^^yfi^/^aJ^i




ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



after a series of political reverses. He
served with honor in the army of his
aidopted country, and setthng at Svvei-
briiecken, Bavaria, married a young German
woman. They had a son, Melchior.

Melchior Hay came to America with his
two brothers in 1738, and settled on the
lajid on which South Easton is now located.
He purchased twenty-six acres of land in
1771, of Israel Morris, of Philadelphia, and
a few months later, in the same year, bought
three hundred and seventy-five acres from
Peter Ru.sh and his wife, all of this land
being a part of the ten thousand acres
originally owned by William Penn. In the
column opposite the assessment of Mr.
Hay's property are the words "no quit,"
showing that he bought the property in fee
simple. Mr. Hay sold this land in 1796,
and it then passed through various hands,
and was used for farming purposes until the
completion of the Lehigh canal. This Mr.
Hay was a man of much public spirit, and
donated a large lot and burying ground to
the Reformed Church, still known as Hay's
Chapel and Hay's burying ground. During
the trying revolutionary period, Melchior
Hay was elected among the first a member
of the Committee of Safety, and did most
efficient work. He was captain of a com-
pany of one hundred and four men raised
in Williams township. His patriotic spirit
was transmitted to his descendants, and
many of them earned distinction in the war
of 1812. the Mexican war, the civil and
the Spanish-American wars. At the close
of the revolution, Mr. Hay purchased a
large farm in the locality called Drylands,
west of Easton, and much of this property
is still in the hands of his direct descendants.

Melchior, a son of Captain Melchior Hay,
married, and had children: Abraham
Horn, Peter, Melchior, George, Charles,
John and Anna.

Abraham Horn, son of the second Mel-
chior Hay, married and had children :
Peter, Andrew J., Thomas J., Jacob,
George, Charles and Mary, all of Easton.



Captain Jacob Hay, son of Abraliam
Horn Hay, was one of the most successful
merchants in Easton. As the head of the
dry goods house of J. Hay & Sons, and of
Hapgood, Hay & Company's wholesale boot
and shoe house, he displayed excellent busi-
ness ability, and was progressive in bis
methods. He became the owner of vast
quantities of real estate in Easton. He pur-
chased large tracts, partly within and partly
outside of the city limits, his idea being to
set it apart as a place for suburban res-
idences of high grade. He donated much
land to the public, after improving it, and
laid out numerous private drives and walks
at great expense, and threw these open to
the public. Mr. Hay married, in 1854,
Annie, a daughter of Alexander Wilson Sr.,
and they had children : Thomas A. H.,
whose name heads this sketch; Annie W.,
who marxied Hon. Asa W. Dickinson,
collector of the Port of Jersey City, New
Jersey; Ida Wilson and William O.

Thomas A. H. Hay was born in Easton,
Pennsylvania, July 1, 1855. He attended
the public schools of Easton and was grad-
uated from the high school in the class of
1872, after which he matriculated at La-
fayette College, and was graduated from
this institution in the class of 1S76. He
had been an earnest student, and close ap-
plication had somewhat impaired his health,
so that it was deemed advisable that he
spend some time in the west. Accordingly,
with his school chum, Russell B. Harrison,
a son of the late President Harrison, he
went to Montana, long before the Northern
Pacific railroad was finished, and while
game was still plentiful in that region.
While in Montana, Mr. Hay served as as-
sistant superintendent in the Helena Assay
Office. At the end of three years, with his
health perfectly restored, Mr. Hay returned
to Easton, where he established himself in
business as a merchant and real estate
dealer. He was appointed United States
Postage Stamp Agent at New York in 1889,
and had charge of the distribution of post-



733



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



age stamps to all post offices in the United
States until the change in the administration
in 1893. Mt. Hay is justly proud of being
the originator of the first Commemorative
or Jubilee Stamp issued by this government,
the Columbian issue, and since then his ideas
have been followed by succeeding adminis-
trations in the various commemorative is-
sues.

In August, 1895, in association with his
brother, he established the Easton Power
Company, of Pennsylvania and New Jer-
sey, the first hydro-electric plant in his
section of the country, and was elected pres-
ident of this corporation. In 1897 Hay
Brothers constructed the first Interurban
street railway in that region, this running
from Easton to Bethlehem ; two years later,
one from Easton to Nazareth; in 1901, one
from Easton to Bangor; in 1903, one from
Phillipsburg to Washington, New Jersey;
and it is now in contemplation to construct
a road to Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey,
thus connecting the entire Lehigh Valley
with New York by trolley. In 1904, in as-
sociation with other residents of Easton and
Stroudsburg, Mr. Hay constructed the
Delaware Valley railroad from Strouds-
bury to Bushkill, and Mr. Hay was elected
its first vice-president. In 1899 Mr. Hay
and his brother, William O., bought the
Easton Fair grounds, developed them along
practical and original lines, and at the pres-
ent time this is one of the finest residential
sections of Easton. A partial list of the
official business positions held by Mr. Hay
is as follows: Director of the Easton,
Palmer & Bethlehem Street Railway Com-
pany, organized in 1896; president of the
Easton & Nazareth Street Railway Com-
panv, 1898 : director of the Easton, Tatamy
& Bangor Street Railway Company, 1899 ;
director of the Slate Belt Street Railway
Company, 1899; director of the Easton &
Washington Traction Company, 1902; presi-
dent of the Northampton Traction Com-
pany, T903 : and director of the Mont-
gomery Traction Company, 1904. In 1905.



at its incorporation, he became a director in
the Wahnetah Silk Company of Catasaqua,
Pennsylvania.

Of an intensely patriotic nature, Mr. Hay
served as a member and second sergeant in
Company C, Fourth Regiment, National
Guard of Pennsylvania, throughout the
memorable strikes in 1877, which threatened
such danger to the community, and the State
in general. He was always an Independent
Republican in his political affiliations, later
a Progressive. Mr. Hay has been promi-
nently identified with all the progressive
movements and legislation suggested by lus
personal friend. Colonel Theodore Roose-
velt. He was a member in 1912-13 of the
Republican State Committee to draft bills
putting into effect the live questions of the
day, notably the Public Service Commission,
Workman's Compensation, Employers' Lia-
bility, Woman's Hours of Labor and Mini-
mum Wage, Children's Hours of Labor,
Primary Elections, and Pure Elections Law.
His religious membership is with the Pres-
byterian church. His fraternal association
is an extended one. being as follows : Eas-
ton Lodge, No. 152, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons ; Easton Chapter, No. 173, Royal Arch
Masons ; Hugh de Payens Commandery,
No. 19, Knights Templar; the Quatuor
Coronati Lodge, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons, of London, England ; Easton Lodge,
No. 121, Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks ; the Quaint and Zeta Psi clubs, of
New York ; the Art Club, of Philadelphia ;
and the Pomfret Club, of Easton. For
many years, the leisure time of Mr. Hay
has been devoted to music, and he has
served as president of the Orpheus Society
of Easton for almost a quarter of a cen-
tury. While he has never spent any time in
foreign travel, Mr. Hay has been in almost
every State and territory of the United
States, and has visited every province of
Canada and Labrador with the exception
of Prince Edward's Island.

Mr. Hay married Helen M.. eldest daugh-
ter of the late Major-General Thomas H.
■34



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Ruger, United States Army, and their three
children now living are: Helen Ruger, who
was graduated from Wilson College; Anna
Ruger, who was graduated from the
Woman's College, of Baltimore, Maryland,
now known as Goucher College ; Ruger Nel-
son, who was graduated from Lafayette
College in 1906, and is now a mining engi-
neer at Calumet, Arizona. They were all
born in Easton.



WATERS, Bertram Howard,

Fbysloian, Professional Instructor.

The evolution of a modern scientist whose
life work has been devoted largely to the
task of alleviating the horrors of the great
"White Plague" shows the wonderful tran-
sitions that may occur in the history of any
family or individual during a few genera-
tions. The life history of Dr. Bertram
Howard Waters illustrates in a remarkable
manner the changes that have been wrought
from the primitive type of early New Eng-
land settlers, who were farmers and black-
smitlis, to the man of scientific attainments
who has won distinction in the medical pro-
fession.

He is a lineal descendant from the Rich-
ard Waters who came to America in 1635-
1636 with Richard Plaise, a gunsmith, and
settled at Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony,
where he received a grant of land, 22nd day,
3rd month, 1636, in Salem. He was the son
of James Waters, an iron monger of Lon-
don, and himself a gunsmith by trade. He
was made freeman in 1639, wrote his will
dated i6th July, 1676, and died before 28th.
9th month, 1677, when his will was proved
by witnesses in open court at Salem. He
married Rejoici Plaise, daughter of Wil-
liam Plaise, the gunsmith, in England, who
survived him ; had issue, ten children.

John Waters, son of Richard and Re-
joice (Plaise) Waters, was born in Salem,
Massachusetts Bay Colony, 27th day, 9th
month, 1640. He settled in that part of
Salem called North Fields, on Waters river.



named for him, near Governor Endicott's
farm ; was a well-to-do farmer, and died
there early in 1707-08. His v;4\ dated Feb-
ruary 14, 1706-07, was proved March i,
1707-08. He married Sara Tompkins,
daughter of Jolm Tompkins, August 15,
1663, in Salem, and had ten children.

Samuel Waters, son of John and Sara
(Tompkins) Waters, was born May 6, 1675,
and baptized July 14, 1678, in Salem. He
moved to Woburn, ten miles from Boston,
but later went to Easton, Bristol county,
Massachusetts Bay, where he married Miss
Turrill, but died soon afterward, leaving
one child, Samuel. His widow married
(second) Nathaniel Maudley, of Easton,
and had issue by him, ten children.

Samuel Waters, son of Samuel and

(Turrill) Waters, was born at Easton,
Bristol county, Massachusetts Bay Colony,
and died at Stoughton, Massachusetts, about
1750. His will was proved August 28,
1750, at Stoughton; and named his son
Daniel and his wife as executors. He mar-
ried Bethyah Thayer, who, as widow of
Samuel Waters, died before January, 1759,
leaving surviving issue.

Zebulon Waters, son of Samuel and
Bethyah (Thayer) W'aters, was born about
January, 1735. probably at Stoughton,
IMassachusetts. He lived at Stoughton and
was a land owner among the early settlers
of that place. Also, he was one of the
soldiers who assisted Colonel Winslow to
removed the Acadians on May 28, 1755,
from that region, as did also his brother,
Daniel \\'aters. He died there May 29,
1790. aged fifty-five years and about four
months. He married Allis Bradford, tenth
child of Elisha Bradford, by his second
wife, Bethshua Le Brocke, September 21,
1757, at .Stoughton, Massachusetts. She
was born November 3, 1734, died July 6,
1795, granddaughter of Joseph Bradford,
who was the youngest son of Governor Wil-
liam Bradford, of Massachusetts Bay
Colony, by Alice Southworth. his second
wife. They had ten children.



735



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Asa Waters, son of Zebulon and Allis
(Bradford) Waters, was born February
II, 1760, at Stoughton, Massachusetts.
He owned land in the southwest corner
of Norfolk county, immediately adjoin-
ing that of his father at Stoughton, Mas-
sachusetts. He served in the Revolu-
tionary War from Stoughton. According
to the official records of Massachusetts
Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Rev-
olution, volume xvi, page 693, his service
was as follows: "Waters, Asa, Stoughton.
Descriptive list of men raised in Suffolk Co.
to reinforce the Continental Army, agree-
able to resolve of June 9, 1779; Capt. Tal-
but's CO., Col. Gill's regt. ; age 19 yrs. ;
stature 5 ft. 8 in. ; hair light ; eyes, gray, ;
occupation, husbandman ; nationality, Amer-
ican; residence, Stoughton; engaged for
towm of Stoughton ; reported delivered to
Capt. L. Bailey; also list of men returned
as received of Maj. Stephen Badlam,
Superintendent for Suffolk Co.. by Justin
Ely, Commissioner, certified at Springfield,
Sept. 20, 1779." In a memorandum of serv-
ice made by himself, which has been pre-
served, it appears that he did other service ;
and he with others marched to West Point,
New York, in 1779, vi^here he was among
the troops inspected by Baron Steuben. He
died in 1845, aged about eighty-five years.
Married (first) Lydia, daughter of Joseph
Smith, of Stoughton, November 10, 1785.
She was born January 10, 1763; and died
June 22, 1809. He married twice after her
death, but there were no children as issue
of either subsequent wife.

Oren Waters, son of Asa and Lydia
(Smith) Waters, was born November 6,
1788, at Stoughton, Massachusetts. He and
his brother, Asa Waters, manufactured
shovels and other tools at Easton, Mass-
achusetts; and they, together with Oliver
Ames, "built a cotton factory there, not far
from the shovel factory." After a few
years they sold their interest and Asa
Waters moved to Troy, New York, where
he started a shovel factory near the mouth



of the Mohawk river ; and Oren Waters
went on to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Oren
Waters set up the first tilt-hammer in Pitts-
burgh, and introduced the press for stamp-
ing the shovels into shape; also the fan-
blast forge for increasing the forge fires.
Later Asa Waters came on to Pittsburgh,
and the two brothers engaged in the manu-
facture of shovels, picks, and other tools,
on an extensive scale ; and were the earliest
manufacturers of such articles in Pitts-
burgh. He married Juliet Harris, of
Harrisville, Butler county, Pennsylvania,
June 8, 1820, in Butler county, Pennsyl-
vania. She was born April 21, 1798, in
Franklin county, Pennsylvania, died May
10, 1872, at Jumonville, Fayette county.
Pennsylvania. Children: i. Lydia Waters,
born February 22, 1822, at Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania ; died unmarried. 2. Asa H.
Waters, born March 4, 1824, at Pittsburgh,
married, October 6, 1855, Hannah C. Steck.
3. Samuel E. Waters, born August 20,
1827; married, June 18, 1850, Ann M.
Shaeffer. 4. Anna M. Waters, born August

17, 1830; married, March 19, 1863, James
A. Smith. 5. Oren E. Waters, born March

18, 1833; married (first) June 21, 1855,
Mary E. Maynard ; (second) November i,
1870, Esther A. Trask. 6. James Q.
Waters, born September 16, 1835 ; married,
October 15, 1861, Annie C. Price. 7. Wil-
liam Webster Waters, of whom further. 8.
Mary Ellen Waters, born October 5, 1840;
married. November 25, 1865, Edward M.
Brooks.

William Webster Waters, son of Oren
and Juliet (Harris) Waters, was born June
10, 1838, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The
early years of his life were spent in his na-
tive city, and at New Brighton, in which
last place he attended the public schools;
and where at about sixteen years of age he
secured a position as clerk in a book store,
where he was enabled to continue his edu-
cational work by an extended course of
reading. He not only thoroughly learned
the business, but developed into a well edu-



7.<^



i.!23GSi3L



I



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



cated man, having a wide and varied ac-
quaintance with current literature. He was
employed by John S. Davidson from 1853
to i860, then by his successor, R. S. Davis,
until 1870, when he resigned to become
superintendent of the Presbyterian Book
Store of Pittsburgh, which became his
principal life work. The last mentioned
business association continued from 1870 to
the time of his death. His life was dis-
tinguished by his eminent Christian virtues,
and by devotion to his church and family.
He died March 28, 1905, at Sewickley,
Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh. He
married Elizabeth Loring Critchlow, daugh-
ter of Rev. Benjamin C. and Eunice
(Hatch) Critchlow, June 24, 1863, at New
Brighton, Pennsylvania. She was born Sep-
tember 21, 1839, at Slippery Rock, Pennsyl-
vania, and resided at Sewickley, near Pitts-
burgh. Pennsylvania. Children : Evangeline
Waters, born May, 1864, died in infancy;
Bertram Howard Waters, of whom further ;
Daisy Waters, died in infancy; May Waters,
born May, 1869, died in infancy; Elizabeth
Loring Waters, born February 21, 1874,
married, June 12, 1895, Hon. Richard Rob-
erts Quay, and had issue.

Dr. Bertram Howard Waters, son of Wil-
liam Webster and Elizabeth Loring (Critch-
low) Waters, was born September 4. 1867,
in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Was educated
at Sewickley Academy, Sewickley, Pennsyl-
vania ; and at Princeton University, Prince-
ton, New Jersey, from which he graduated
in 1889, as A. B. In 1889-90 he was biolog-
ical fellow at Princeton University; studied
medicine at the College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Columbia University, New York,
and graduated therefrom as M. D. in 1893.
The same year he received the M. A. degree
from Princeton University. He was ap-
pointed interne at the Presbyterian Hospital,
New York City, and served from 1893 to
1895; also from August to October, 1895,
was interne of the Sloan Maternity Hospital
of New York City. He traveled and studied



in Europe from December, 1895, to June,
1896; and since that time has been engaged
in the practice of medicine, clinical and



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 58)