Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 40 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


earnest member of the East Liberty Pres-
byterian church, in which he holds the office
of elder. The countenance of Mr. Lazear
is expressive of the well balanced mind and
even disposition that go to the making of
the judicial temperament, and it also indi-
cates the genial nature that has surrounded
him with a large circle of warmly attached

954



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



friends. His intellect is luminous and
vigorous, speaking in the clear, direct glance
of his eyes, which, with all their keenness,
yet hold in their depths the glint of humor.
Dignified yet winning in manner, his pres-
ence gives assurance of a true and kindly
gentleman and a generous, upright man.

Mr. Lazear married, June 13, 1861, Alice,
daughter of George A. and Anna G. (Sav-
age) Lyon, of Pittsburgh, formerly of
Carlisle, Pennsylvania. A full account of
the Lyon family is to be found in the biog-
raphy of Mrs. Lazear's brother, the late
Ale.xander Parker Lyon, elsewhere in this
work. Mr. and Mrs. Lazear have been the
parents of three children: Anna, wife of
Judge Charles P. Orr ; Jesse T., a promi-
nent attorney of Pittsburgh; and Lyttleton
L., a well known physician, now deceased.
Mr. Lazear is a man of strong domestic
tastes and affections and is fond of enter-
taining his friends. Love of music is one
of his dominant characteristics.

The truest conception of a man's person-
ality may often be gained from the words
of those who have known him long and
well, and for this reason we present the
following appreciation of Mr. Lazear's char-
acter and ability, coming as it does from
the pen of his former law partner, the late
Hon. James H. Hopkins :



Mr. Lazear entered the profession of law not
as a money-making trade, but because he loved it.
He had a fair share of ambition, but it was not
of the vaulting kind "which o'erleaps itself and
falls on the other side." It was not a brilliant
flash which dazzles for a moment and then is
sv/allowed up in darkness ; but it was a steady,
clear and cheering light, shining with uniform
and continual lustre. He feels a natural pride in
winning cases, but he feels a greater pride in
mastering them. The study of an intricate case
is not a labor to him; it is a genuine pleasure.
As a practitioner he was always manly, honest
and frank. Never upon any inducement or under
any provocation would he resort to trickery or
"sharp practice." He was always steady, unflinch-
ing and persistent in what he believed to be rieht :
at the same time he has always borne himself
with the utmost courtesy and fairness to the court



and to the opposing counsel. His mind is so
calm and clear, his logic so forcible, his presenta-
tion of the case so earnest and honest, that he has
the admiration and confidence of judges, lawyers
and jurors. One who obtains his legal opinion
can rest assured that it is the result of the appli-
cation of a clear, pure mind to the principles
involved, after an exhaustive study of te.\t books
and decisions. His thorough knowledge of the
science of the law, his absolute impartiality, his
keen perception and zealous love of justice, his
incorruptible integrity, his patient temperament
and courteous manner, make the rare combination
of qualities that go to make up the model judge.

To words like these what could be added ?
Would that the bar of Pittsburgh, in the
years to come, might be able to boast of
many members of the type of Thomas C.
Lazear !



STACKPOLE, Edward James,

Jonrnalist.

Edward James Stackpole, editor and chief
owner of the Harrisburg "Telegraph," and
president of the Telegraph Printing Com-
pany, has held for a quarter of a century
a leading position among the journalists of
his State, and has been prominently identi-
fied with the most vital interests of his
home city.

Edward Henry Harrison Stackpole,
father of Edward James Stackpole, of
Harrisburg, successfully conducted for a
number of years a general blacksmithing
business and an establishment for the manu-
facture of wagons and sleighs. In 1876 he
served as representative of Mifflin county
in the State Legislature, and in his early
manhood was a soldier in the Union army
during the Civil War. At the time of his
death, in 1890, he held the position of super-
intendent of public grounds and buildings
at Harrisburg. Mr. Stackpole married
Margaret Jane Glasgow, and eleven chil-
dren were born to them, among whom was
Edward James, mentioned below.

Edward James, son of Edward Henry
Harrison and Margaret Jane (Glasgow)
Stackpole, was born January 18, 1861, at

955



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



McVeytown, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania,
and received his education in the pubhc
schools of his native place. During his
school days he learned type-setting in the
office of the "McVeytown Journal," which
he subsequently entered as a general printer,
and where he continued to be employed
until 1881. He not only looked after the
mechanical work of the "Journal," but did
most of the writing for that newspaper,
attracting the attention of the newspaper
publishers of the Juniata Valley. About
1880 he was notified of an opening in the
car record office of the Pennsylvania Rail-
road Company at Altoona, and was also
tendered the position of city editor of the
"Altoona Tribune." He declined both posi-
tions and later was invited to become a
partner of B. F. Ripple in the publication
of the "Orbissonia (Huntington county,
Pennsylvania) Dispatch." This paper he
conaucted until the autumn of 1883, when
he accepted a position as assistant foreman
and exchange editor of the "Harrisburg
Telegraph." He continued this relation for
a year or two and was then promoted to the
important position of city editor. In addi-
tion he became the Harrisburg representa-
tive of a large number of metropolitan news-
papers, including the "New York Sun," the
"Philadelphia Inquirer," the "Pittsburgh
Dispatch," the "Chicago Inter-Ocean," the
"Washington Post," the "Philadelphia Pub-
lic Ledger," and other newspapers, including
the "Iron Age" and the "New York Com-
mercial Advertiser." In 1898 he resigned
his position as city editor of the "Tele-
graph" in order to give attention to his im-
portant outside newspaper interests, but, on
the death of M. W. McAlarney, the con-
trolling owner and editor of the "Tele-
graph," he purchased, in 1901, the Mc-
Alarney interest, and subsequently became
chief owner. Under his management and
direction the "Telegraph" soon became one
of the most influential of Pennsylvania
newspapers, taking the lead in all move-
ments for the betterment of Harrisburg.



It was the "Telegraph" which led the cam-
paign for the Greater Harrisburg in 1901,
and no similar campaign since has been
without the "Telegraph's" support.

Mr. Stackpole has also been identified
with local enterprises, and has always been
active in municipal affairs, having served
as president of the Board of Trade and in
other public capacities. As president of the
Telegraph Printing Company he has caused
the plant to become one of the most impor-
tant general printing houses in the State.
He is a director of the Harrisburg Trust
Company.

Politically Mr. Stackpole has always been
an active Republican, having presided over
party conventions in his city, and being now
identified with a number of prominent polit-
ical organizations. He was commander of
the famous Harrison Invincibles, organized
for the promotion of the candidacy of Ben-
jamin Harrison for the Presidency. Febru-
ary 22, 1901, Mr. Stackpole was appointed
postmaster by President McKinley, and in
1905 and 1909 was reappointed by Presi-
dent Roosevelt. He brought to the adminis-
tration of the office the same energy and
public spirit that have characterized all his
public activities, and no city has ever been
given more satisfactory postal facilities.
He was one of the organizers of the Penn-
sylvania Association of Postmasters, and
presided over the first convention held in
Harrisburg. He has also taken a promi-
nent part in the various State and National
conventions of postmasters which were held
during his tenure of office. He was a mem-
ber of the Pennsylvania commission to the
South Carolina Exposition at Charleston,
and represented the Harrisburg Board of
Trade in tKe famous tour of Europe which
took place in the summer of 191 1 under the
management of the Boston Chamber of
Commerce, many city experts being of the
party.

Not only has Mr. Stackpole's public spirit
manifested itself in the ways already men-
tioned, but he has done his part in the main-

956




<L.^lleMinвВђleH i^dHa^u ^/i<iit^^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



tenance of the militia, having served three
years in Company D, Eighth Regiment
National Guard of Pennsylvania, under
Captain Thomas F. Maloney. He affiliates
with Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464, Free
and Accepted Masons ; Harrisburg Con-
sistory, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite ;
and Zembo Temple, Ancient and Arabic
Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine ; also
Harrisburg Lodge, No. 12, Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks. He is president
of the Colonial Country Club, and belongs
to the Harrisburg Club and a number of
other social organizations. He and his fam-
ily are members of the Covenant Presby-
terian Church, in which he has served as
elder, and he is now a member of the ses-
sion of that congregation.

A'Tr. Stackpole married, October 10, 1S89,
at Harrisburg, M. Kate, daughter of Albert
and Catherine Eliza (Plitt) Hummel. Mr.
Hummel, who is deceased, was for many
years a prominent shoe merchant of Harris-
burg. Mr. and Mrs. Stackpole are the par-
ents of the following children : Catherine
Hummel, born August 11, 1890; Margaret,
July 4, 1892; Edward James Jr., June 21,
1894; and Albert Hummel, June 28, 1897.



SHARPE, Alexander Brady,

Soldier, Lavryer.

The late Colonel Alexander Brady Sharpe,
for many years a citizen of Carlisle, and a
leader of the Cumberland county bar, was
a representative of one of the oldest fam-
ilies of Southern Pennsylvania, many mem-
bers of which were conspicuous in colonial
and Revolutionary annals.

Thomas Sharp (as the name was origin-
ally spelled), great-grandfather of Alex-
ander Brady Sharpe, was a covenanter, who,
because of his religious faith, was driven
from his native Scotland and took refuge
in the province of Ulster, Ireland, living
near Belfast, county Antrim, until his emi-
gration to the American colonies. He set-
tled in Newton township, Cumberland



county, Pennsylvania, and two large tracts
of land are recorded as having been taken
up by Thomas Sharp in May, 1746. He
married, in Scotland, Margaret Elder, the
daughter of a laird, and of the same re-
ligious faith as himself, and the following
children were born to them: Robert; Alex-
ander, mentioned below; Andrew, John,
James, Mary, Agnes, Martha, and another
daughter whose name is not recorded. All
the sons were commissioned officers in the
Indian or Revolutionary wars, with the ex-
ception of Alexander, who served as a pri-
vate. All the family owned land in Cum-
berland county with the exception of An-
drew, who was killed by Indians at what is
now Sharpsburg, which was named in his
honor.

Alexander, son of Thomas and Margaret
(Elder) Sharp, became the largest land-
owner in Newton township, and nearly the
whole of his estate, though divided, is still
in the possession of his descendants. He
was also the owner of a tannery, distillery
and mills. He was twice married, his first
wife being Margaret McDowell, who bore
him the following children: Andrew, Alex-
ander, William M. ; John, mentioned below ;
Thomas, mentioned as "colonel" ; Elder,
who died unmarried, at the age of nine-
teen; and Eleanor, who became the wife of
Samuel McCune. Alexander, the second
of these sons, was pastor of the church at
Newville from 1824 until his death, which
occurred in January, 1857. He married
Elizabeth Bryson, and one of their sons.
Dr. Alexander R. Sharpe, married Nellie
Dent, a sister of the wife of General Grant.

John, son of Alexander and Margaret
(McDowell) Sharpe, was known as "John
Sharpe of the Barrens." He married Jane,
granddaughter of James and Abigail Mc-
Cune, of Newton township, and daughter
of the respected Samuel and Hannah
(Brady) McCune. The latter was a daugh-
ter of Hugh Brady (2). son of Hugh Brady
(i), who came from Enniskillcn, Ireland,
and was one of the first settlers in what is



957



ENC'/CLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



now Hopewell township, Cumberland
county. Mr. and Mrs. Sharpe were the
parents of a son, Alexander (2) Brady,
mentioned below.

Colonel Alexander (2) Brady Sharpe,
son of John and Jane (McCune) Sharpe,
was born August 12, 1827, in Newton town-
ship, and in 1839 began to prepare foi col-
lege under Joseph Casey, father of General
Joseph Casey. After the death of this pre-
ceptor, Mr. Sharpe went to Academia,
Juniata county, and completed his studies
under the direction of Vanleer Davis, at
Chambersburg. In 1843 ^^ entered Jeffer-
son College as a sophomore, graduating with
the highest honors of his class, September
23, 1846. He immediately began reading
law with Robert M. Bard, Esq., of Cham-
bersburg, completing his legal studies under
Hon. Frederick Watts, of Carlisle. On No-
vember 21, 1848, he was admitted to prac-
tice, and remained with his last preceptor.
Judge Watts, until the following April,
when he opened an office in Carlisle, and
entered upon a career of independent prac-
tice which continued until the close of his
life, interrupted only by his period of mili-
tary service.

On April 21, 1861, Mr. Sharpe enlisted
in the Union army, becoming a private in
Company A, Seventh Regiment Pennsyl-
vania Reserve Volunteer Corps, which was
attached to the Second Brigade, McCall's
Division. He served in the ranks until Sep-
tember 25, when he was commissioned sec-
ond lieutenant of Company E, same regi-
ment, and appointed adjutant. On Decem-
ber 4 he was relieved from duty with his
regiment and ordered to report to Brigadier-
General Ord, commanding the Third Bri-
gade, who had appointed him aide-de-camp.
He joined General Ord the same day and
served on his personal staff until the Gen-
eral was wounded and temporarily disabled
for field service, when he resigned. After
General Ord's recovery, Lieutenant Sharpe
was at his instance again commissioned cap-
tain and assigned to duty with him, serving



until his resignation on January 28, 1865.
With the exception of the period from De-
cember 27, 1862, to August 28, 1863, he was
in constant service, being on field duty with
the armies of the Potomac, Rappahannock,
Tennessee, West Virginia, the Army of the
Gulf and the Army of the James. He
actively participated in the battles of
Drainesville, December 20, 1861 ; luka, Sep-
tember 18-20, 1862; Big Hatchie, October
5, 1862; Burnside's mine explosion, July 30,
1864; Newmarket Heights and the capture
of Fort Harrison, September 9-10, 1864.
He was brevetted and promoted to the rank
of captain and aide-de-camp. United States
Army, for gallant and meritorious conduct
at the battle of Drainesville, and on March
13, 1865, on the recommendation of Gen-
erals Ord, Meade and Grant, received the
brevet ranks of major, lieutenant-colonel
and colonel. United States Volunteers, for
gallant conduct at Petersburg and in the
various operations before Richmond, Vir-
ginia.

In politics. Colonel Sharpe was a staunch
Republican, joining the party at the time
of its organization, but never held office or
was a candidate for official honors of any
kind. He was connected with Captain Col-
well Post, No. 201, Grand Army of the Re-
public, and with the Loyal Legion, and was
a member of the Second Presbyterian
Church of Carlisle, thus maintaining the
religious traditions of his ancestors.

Colonel Sharpe married, December 19,
1854, Katherine Mears, daughter of Major
George and Mary E. D. (Biddle) Blaney.
Major Blaney belonged to the Engineer
Corps, United States Army, and built Fort
Fisher, Fort Caswell, and other defenses
for the government; he was a graduate of
West Point (Engineer Corps), and a class-
mate of General Robert E. Lee.

The death of Colonel Sharpe, which oc-
curred December 25, 1891, at his home in
Carlisle, was lamented by all classes of the
community as the removal of one who had
ever labored for the promotion of the best



958





y/



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



interests of his home city, and who, during
the long period of his residence, had stood
before her as the type of an able lawyer and
a gallant soldier.



STUART, Walter,

Financier.

Walter Stuart, vice-president of the
Farmers' Trust Company of Carlisle, Penn-
sylvania, is a descendant of that sturdy
Scotch-Irish stock which has constituted
such a potent factor in the history and de-
velopment of the Cumberland Valley.

Samuel Stuart, great-grandfather of Wal-
ter Stuart, of Carlisle, came from the North
of Ireland to the province of Pennsylvania
shortly before the outbreak of the Revolu-
tionary War, and settled in Cumberland
county. His object in emigrating was to
seek for his brother Walter, who had set-
tled in what is now Dickinson township and
the discontinuance of whose letters home
had alarmed the family. Samuel Stuart, on
finding that his brother had died without
leaving data sufficient to give his heirs title
to the land which he had preempted, re-
mained in this country, settling near the
place where Walter had made his home.
There he lived for five or six years, acquir-
ing a considerable tract of land. In Sep-
tember, 1778, he purchased a house and lot
on South Hanover street, Carlisle, and on
removing to it became the proprietor of a
hotel. In 1780 the destruction of his prop-
erty by fire compelled him to move to the
opposite side of the street, where he tem-
porarily continued his business. At one
time he had as guests some of the Hessians
who were held at Carlisle as prisoners of
war. In May, 1791, he purchased a farm in
what is now Dickinson township, and made
it his home during the remainder of his life.
He married Margaret Carson, and their chil-
dren were : James, Mary, Margaret, Ann,
Samuel, mentioned below ; Walter, and
Martha. Samuel Stuart died September
II, 1828, aged eighty-three years.



Samuel (2), son of Samuel (i) and Mar-
garet (Carson) Stuart, grew to manhood
on his father's farm, receiving his education
in the country schools. He made agricul-
ture his life work, and was for many years
a member of the Dickinson Presbyterian
Church. He married Nancy, daughter of
William and Jane (Ramsey) Donaldson,
and granddaughter of Andrew Donaldson.
William Donaldson was one of the early
settlers of Cumberland county, and during
the Revolutionary War a captain in the Sec-
ond Battalion of the Pennsylvania Militia
that was called in August, 1780, serving
under Washington, in the vicinity of New
York. The following children were born
to Mr. and Mrs. Stuart: Samuel, mentioned
below ; Walter, and Jane Eliza. Mr. Stuart
died January 31, 1S74, at the age of eighty-
five.

Samuel (3), son of Samuel (2) and
Nancy (Donaldson) Stuart, grew up on the
homestead, attending the schools of the
neighborhood. Like his father and grand-
father, he was a farmer, and an energetic
and progressive citizen, respected by the
entire community. As a young man he be-
came a captain in the militia, and so appro-
priate to his personality did the title appear,
that it ever afterward clung to him. In his
latter years he was universally known as
Captain Samuel Stuart, and was so remem-
bered for a long time after his death. He
was a member of the Dickinson Presby-
terian Church, and long one of its ruling
elders. He married his cousin, Elizabeth
Sprout, daughter of Robert and Jane (Hus-
ton) Donaldson, and granddaughter of Wil-
liam and Jane (Ramsey) Donaldson, and
they were the parents of the following chil-
dren : James Alexander, born November 9,
1849, died August 26, i8^>2; Robert Donald-
son, born July 10, 1851, died March 12,
i860; Samuel Carson, born January 12,
1855, died February 9, i860; Walter, men-
tioned below; Huston Kennedy, born Feb-
ruary 15, 1859, died March 8, i860; and
Elmer, born January 16, 1862, died Octo-



959



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ber 6, 1867. Captain Samuel Stuart, the
father of the family, passed away May 2,
1873, aged fifty-five.

Walter Stuart, son of Samuel (3) and
Elizabeth Sprout (Donaldson) Stuart, was
born July 27, 1856, in Dickinson township,
and in the spring of 1868 his parents moved
to Carlisle, where he attended the public
schools, graduating from the high school in
1875. He then took a course at Eastman's
Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York,
graduating in 1876. In January, 1880, he
was appointed to a clerkship in the Farmers'
Bank of Carlisle, and has ever since been
connected with that institution, filling every
position from the one in which he began to
that of cashier, to which he succeeded on
the death of J. C. Hoffer, in 1889. In 1902,
when the bank was absorbed by the Farm-
ers' Trust Company, Mr. Stuart became a
member of its board of directors and of its
executive committee, and was also made
secretary and treasurer of the company. In
1910 he was elected vice-president. Though
deeply absorbed in his responsibilities, Mr.
Stuart finds time for public duties and other
interests. He is identified with a number
of corporated enterprises in Carlisle and
Harrisburg, and was long a member of the
Carlisle school board, taking an active part
in all its affairs, and serving seven years
as its president. In politics he is an Inde-
pendent Republican. His fraternal affilia-
tions are with the Masonic order, and St.
Andrew's Society of Philadelphia. He is
a member of the Second Presbyterian
Church of Carlisle.

Mr. Stuart married (first) December 21,
1882, Barbara Ellen, born April 13, i860,
in South Middleton, daughter of George
Peter and Martha (Stuart) Searight, and
a descendant of two of the oldest and most
prominent families in South Middleton
township. Mr. and Mrs. Stuart had the
following children : George Searight, born
October 23, 1883, died September 6, 1884;
Samuel Donaldson, born December 30,
1884; Walter Searight, born September 22,



1886; and John Bruce, born April 10, 1888.
Mrs. Stuart died February 19, 1900, and
Mr. Stuart married (second) February 14,
1907, Nellie, daughter of F. K. Ployer,
cashier of the Second National Bank of
Mechanicsburg.

During the Revolutionary period, the
name of Stuart was identified with Carlisle,
and the connection, severed for three-quar-
ters of a century, was renewed by the com-
ing of Mr. Stuart's father to Carlisle. Mr.
Stuart himself, by his long career as an able
financier and by his public-spirited interest
in municipal affairs, has maintained the tra-
ditions of good citizenship which have ever
been inseparable from the name he bears.



HOLTZINGER, George W.,

Business Man, Public OfiEicial.

George W. Holtzinger, former county
commissioner, and prominent in the finan-
cial and political circles of York county, is
a representative of a family which has long
been identified with that historic portion of
the State.

John Holtzinger, grandfather of George
W. Holtzinger, was a native of Pennsyl-
vania, and a descendant of German ances-
tors. He lived in the vicinity of Stony-
brook, a short distance east of York, and
there followed the calling of a shoemaker.
He married Barbara Wolf, like himself, of
German extraction, but born in Pennsyl-
vania, and their children were: John,
George, mentioned below ; Jacob, Daniel,
Benjamin, Nancy, Catharine, Elizabeth,
Susan, Mary. John Holtzinger, the father,
died about 1844.

George, son of John and Barbara (Wolf)
Holtzinger, was born in York county, Penn-
sylvania. He received his education in the
subscription schools. He was instructed by
his father in the shoemaker's trade, which
he followed for a time, and also acquired a
knowledge of lime burning, in which he
engaged for about five years. He then
turned his attention to agriculture, to which



960



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



he devoted his energies during the remain-
der of his active years. He purchased the
farm in Windsor township now owned by
M. B. Spahr, and after a time sold this
property and bought another farm in the
same township now in the possession of
M. P. Smith. On this land :\Ir. Holtzinger
made his home during the remainder of his
life. He was a member of the Winebren-
nerian church. He married (first) Eliza-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 58)