Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 41 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 41 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


beth Heindal, and they became the parents
of si.x daughters: Lydia, Catharine, Eliza-
beth, Rebecca, Mary, Susan. Mrs. Hoh-
zinger was a member of the Reformed
church. After her death Mr. Holtzinger
married (second) Susannah Stauffer, a
native of York county, and their children
were : George \V., mentioned below ; David
S., John, Sarah, who died in infancy. Mr.
Hohzinger died in November, 1866, leaving
the record of an upright and respected citi-
zen, and his widow, who was a member of
the Mennonite church, passed away in 1879.

George W., son of George and Susannah
(Stauffer) Holtzinger, was born July 2,
1847, in Windsor township, where he re-
ceived his education in the public schools
and at a select school. At the age of nine-
teen he received a certificate and for three
years thereafter was engaged in teaching,
learning, meanwhile, the carpenter's trade,
which he followed during the summer
months. His inclinations, however, led
him to choose a mercantile career, and he
established himself as a cigar manufacturer
on the site now occupied by the village of
Holtz, employing there, and at branch fact-
ories, about forty workmen. From the out-
set he was successful, a fact not to be won-
dered at in view of the innate ability and
strength of resolution which he brought to
the enterprise. He continued the business
until 1902, and during this period constantly
enlarged the scope and variety of his inter-
ests.

About 1895 Mr. Holtzinger engaged in
mercantile business at the old Sechrist stand
in Holtz, conducting the store successfully



for four years. Since abandoning the manu-
facture of cigars he has devoted much of
his attention to farming. He is the owner
of the homestead, consisting of twenty- four
acres, the Sechrist property of thirty-sioc
acres and the Slenker farm of one hundred
and thirty-six acres. As an agriculturist no
less than as a business man Mr. Holtzinger
has met with that large measure of success
which seems invariably to attend his under-
takings, success sometimes wrested from
unfavorable conditions by a strength of pur-
pose which refuses to admit failure. In
connection with farming he deals in com-
mercial fertilizers, and he also holds the
position of secretary of the Western Mutual
Fire Insurance Company of York county.
Since the organization in 1882 of the
Drovers' and Mechanics' National Bank of
York, Mr. Holtzinger has been one of the
directors. In all his enterprises he has dis-
played a remarkable degree of self-reliance,
never hesitating to venture when sure of
his ground. He is singularly self-centered,
seldom seeking advice, or accepting assist-
ance, thus preserving his independence, and
at the same time, by aiding others, winning
them to his cause.

In politics Mr. Holtzinger is a Repub-
lican, and for many years has taken an
active part in the affairs of the organiza-
tion. During the Harrison administration,
when a postoffice was established in Holtz,
he served four years as postmaster, having
the office in his store. In 1876 he was
electC'l jury commissioner, an office which
he held for three years, and in 1905 he was
chosen one of the commissioners for York
county. In January, 1906, he entered upon
the discharge of his duties, duties for which
his many years of successful business ex-
perience had admirably fitted him, and
which he fulfilled in a manner alike credit-
able to himself and satisfactory to his con-
stituents. His most notable service was
bringing about the building of the new jail,
a public benefit which he accomplished in
spite of great opposition.



961



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



In 1908 Air. Holtzinger was reelected, and
his second term witnessed the great event,
thus far, of his entire political career. The
facts, briefly stated, are the following:
About fifteen years ago a steel bridge was
erected by the county over Codorus creek,
on College avenue, and should have cost
about $20,000, but by the system then in
vogue its acknowledged cost was about
$50,000, while the actual direct and indirect
expense is said to have been about $80,000.
Notwithstanding this fact, the bridge was
not a good one, and, through deterioration
of the light steel work of which it con-
sisted, was within ten years condemned as
unsafe, after which it was closed to traffic
for some four years. Great efforts were
then made by interested parties to compel
the county commissioners to reconstruct the
bridge. For some years these efforts were
successfully resisted, but finally an estimate
was secured for removing and replacing the
old bridge for the sum of $150,000, and it
is said that the execution of the plans pro-
posed would have cost the county over
$200,000. At this juncture an engineer pre-
sented to the commissioners a plan provid-
ing for the utilization of the old bridge as a
reenforcement for a concrete bridge.
Strange to say, Mr. Holtzinger was the only
member of that body to appreciate the value
of the suggestion, and alone and unaided he
fought for honesty and for the rights of
those whom he represented, and he won.
After a long and hard fight the plan
was finally adopted, and the bridge was
renewed at a cost of about $25,000, with an
additional expenditure of $5,000 for filling
approaches. All honor to George W. Holt-
zinger, honest man and fearless champion
of the people's rights! A signal feature of
Mr. Holtzinger's triumph lay in the fact
that many of those who once offered the
most strenuous opposition and used the
most intemperate language have since seen
and acknowledged the wisdom of his course.

In everything pertaining to the welfare
and advancement of his home city Mr.



Holtzinger takes an active interest, and no
good work done in the name of charity or
religion appeals to him in vain. A man of
the most genial and companionable disposi-
tion, he enjoys great personal popularity,
and now that he has relinquished a portion
of his active labors nothing gives him more
satisfaction then the knowledge that his
efforts in the public service have been ap-
preciated by his fellow citizens. He and his
family are members of the Lutheran church.

Mr. Holtzinger married, in 1869, Anna
E., daughter of John and Eliza Keller, rep-
resentative farming people of Lower Wind-
sor township, and of the fourteen children
born to them the following reached matur-
ity : Emma, married H. A. Kinard, and died
in 1903, leaving three children — Carrie,
Norman and Paul; John C, married Ellen
Paules, and has three children — Carrie,
Mabel and Charles D. ; Henry, married
Annie Slenker, and has one child, Grace
Irene; Moses C, married Mary E. Smith,
and has two children — Thomas S. and
Esther Irene; David W., married Cora
Sechrist, and has two children — Stewart
and Margaret; Mary M., married Irvin
Paules, and has three children — Sterling,
Orrie and Curvin ; Cora, married Robert T.
Linchbaugh; Ivan; Elsie. Mrs. Holtzinger,
a thoughtful clever woman of culture and
character, takes life with a gentle serious-
ness that endears her to those about her.
The family residence is a social centre, both
Mr. and Mrs. Holtzinger being extremely
hospitable and delighting to entertain their
many friends.

Mr. Holtzinger has accomplished much.
He is a self-made man of the broad-gauge,
public-spirited type, one of the men who,
in whatever community they are found, con-
stitute the bone and sinew of the State and
furnish to young men entering active life
an example more eloquent than words. Mr.
Holtzinger has stood before the world as a
dauntless public official, strongly to contend
for the rights of his fellow citizens. Would
that York county had more like him !
962




Mf/7^-^^<:^^'^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



McKELVY. William H.,

Fhysioian and Surgeon, Public OfiBcial.

Among those benefactors of mankind
whose talents, in whatever direction they
may be exercised, are used for the rehef
and upHfting of humanity, there is no larger
class than that formed by the votaries of
the noble profession of medicine. Their
close study, their unwearied research, their
ceaseless activity, are all for the relief of
suffering. Perhaps of no other class of men
can it so truly be said that they "scorn de-
lights and live laborious days." Among
this class, prominent to Pittsburghers, was
the late William H. McKelvy, one of the
most noted physicians of the Keystone State.

William H. McKelvy was born Septem-
ber 21, 1843, near Wilkinsburg, Pennsyl-
vania, a son of James McKelvy. The father,
who was but four and a half years old
when in 1804 he came to this country with
his parents from county Down, Ireland,
was reared to agricultural pursuits. After
his marriage he bought a tract of land near
Wilkinsburg, where he was engaged in farm-
ing till his demise at the advanced age of
eighty-eight years. His wife, whose maiden
name was Rosanna Swisshelm, was born in
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, daughter of Lieu-
tenant Swisshelm, an officer in the Revolu-
tionary army. They became the parents of
nine children, three of whom died in in-
fancy. The others were: James M., who
was circuit judge in the Seventh Judicial
District of Minnesota from 1866 until 1883,
and died at St. Cloud, Minnesota, in 1884;
Mrs. Elizabeth Heagen, who died at Lamar,
Missouri, where her husband, a Presby-
terian minister, had charge of a church ;
John S. ; Martha J., the wife of Harry B.
Wintersmith, a manufacturer, Louisville,
Kentucky ; Wilbur F., Pittsburgh ; and Wil-
liam H. (see forward).

William H. McKelvy laid a substantial
foundation for his future education in the
Wilkinsburg Academy, and the Allegheny
College at Meadville, Pennsylvania. In



1 866 he was graduated from the College
of Physicians and Surgeons in New York
City ; and in the following year he opened
an office in Pittsburgh, where with the ex-
ception of five years, when he was in part-
nership with Dr. W. Snively, he practiced
alone. He was a highly intellectual man, of
quick perceptions and sharp discriminalion,
and, possessing a thorough classical and
medical education, in combination with his
innate talents, he speedily won for himself
a prominent place among the members of
the medical fraternity. He loved science
for science's sake, was a hard student, and
enthusiastic in his efforts to cultivate and
elevate the standard of the medical profes-
sion. In January, 1868, he was elected phy-
sician to the county jail, a position which
he subsequently held for thirteen consecu-
tive years. He was the president of the
Grant Sub-district School Board for twenty-
six years, a member of the Central Board
of Education for twenty-two years, and its
president for fourteen years. At all times
Dr. McKelvy stood as an able exponent of
the spirit of the age, in his efforts to ad-
vance progress and improvement. Real-
izing that he would not pass this way again,
he made wise use of his opportunities and
his wealth, conforming his life to a high
standard, so that his entire record was in
harmony with the history of an ancestry
honorable and distinguished. He was a
member of the Library Association, and one
of the trustees of the Carnegie Library. He
was also connected with the Allegheny
County Medical Society, the Miscroscopical
Society of Pittsburgh and the American
Medical Association. In the Masonic fra-
ternity he was a Knight Templar, and did
much to promote the good of the order in
the State. Politically he was affiliated with
the Republican party, and was an ardent
worker in its cause. A vigilant and atten-
tive observer of men and measures. Dr.
McKelvy's opinions were recognized as
sound and his views broad, and his ideas
therefore carried weight among those with



963



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



whom he discussed public problems. Those
who met him socially had the highest ap-
preciation for his sterling qualities of man-
hood and a genial nature which recognized
and appreciated the good in others. The
ties of home and friendship were sacred to
him, and he took a genuine delight in doing
a service for those who were near and dear
to him.

Dr. McKelvy married, October 23, 1897,
Miss Margaret Youngson, of Pittsburgh.
By this marriage Dr. McKelvy gained the
life companionship of a charming and con-
genial woman. His wife is fitted by native
refinement, a bright mind and thorough edu-
cation, for the social position she occupies
as one of the factors of Pittsburgh society.
She is prominent in charitable and club life,
being a member of the board of the Pitts-
burgh Eye and Ear Hospital, of the Tues-
day Music Club, and the Twentieth Cen-
tury Club of Pittsburgh.

The death of Dr. McKelvy, which oc-
curred November 23, 1909, deprived the
Iron City of one of its best citizens. De-
voted in his family relations, sincere and
true in his friendships, honorable and gen-
erous in his profession, he had the affection
and esteem of those who lived closest to
him and were best fitted to judge of his
quality. He was human in his sympathies,
cherished no false or impossible ideals, lived
level with the hearts of those with whom
he was bound by ties of consanguinity and
friendship, endearing himself to them and
irradiating the widening circle of his influ-
ence with the brightness of spirit that ex-
pressed the pure gold of character. His
public and private life was one rounded
whole — two perfect parts of a symmetrical
sphere. So completely were they joined
that it would be difficult to say where the
one ended and the other began. In public
and in private he was actuated by one high
motive, the welfare of all whom he served
and of all with whom he served. With
such a principle the mainspring of all his
active career, with an optimistic outlook



upon life, with faith in his friends and
humanity, with a purpose to make the best
of everything and see that good that is in
all rather than the evil, with a helping hand
and a word of cheer for all who needed to
have their pathways made smoother. Dr.
William H. McKelvy won a place that was
all his own in the hearts of all who knew
him.



BRADLEY, John T.,

Mannfacturer, Retired.

Now a retired citizen of Middletown,
Pennsylvania, that district has seen the best
of the activities of John T. Bradley's life,
and the present plant of the National Tube
Company owes much of its flourishing pros-
perity to his ambitious endeavors in the
concern of which it is an outgrowth. John
T. Bradley is a native of England, and in
that land received the technical and prac-
tical training that he put to such excellent
use and from which he received such boun-
tiful returns in the land of his adoption. He
is a son of George Bradley, a millwright and
skilled mechanic, who was a department
superintendent in the Wednesbury Bridge
Tube Works, Wednesbury, South Stafford-
shire, England. He was twice married, his
first wife, Sabina May, bearing him two
children, Theophilus, died in infancy, and
John T., of whom further. Ten years after
the death of his first wife Mr. Bradley mar-
ried a second time, and by this marriage
was the father of two children : George, de-
ceased, a resident of Middletown, Penn-
sylvania, and Julia, deceased.

John T., son of George and Sabina (May)
Bradley, was born in Bath, Somersetshire,
England, August 18, 1834, and in his youth
was a student in the school of the Church
of England. He was fourteen years of age
when his father obtained a position for him
in the tube works of Felix Webb and Ed-
ward Cudd, at Wednesbury Bridge, a line
of manufacturing with which he has been
identified throughout his entire life. He
964



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



was here given general instruction in all of
the various branches of the business and at
the end of three years resigned to accept a
similar situation with John Russell & Com-
pany, Walsall, South Staffordshire, Eng-
land, subsequently rising to the position of
engineer in charge of the plant, his father
being his only superior in the works of the
concern. He was here employed until 1870,
in which year he immigrated to the United
States, settling in Pittsburgh, where he at
once entered the establishment of Evans,
Clow, Dalzall & Company, proprietors of a
tube works, as a millwright, remaining with
this firm for three years. In 1873 'le went
to McKeesport, Pennsylvania, later becom-
ing general manager in the butt-weld depart-
ment of the works owned by John Flagler,
of New York, afterward being promoted to
the managership of the entire butt-weld
plant, his connection with that factory ceas-
ing in 1880. In that year he accompanied
George Matheson to Middletown, the old
tube mill owned by Colonel James Young
and at that time in use as a tobacco shed
becoming their property. The old mill was
renovated and remodelled, a new furnace
built, and within a year a lap-weld mill for
the manufacture of large pipe was laid out
and in the course of operation. New fur-
naces were added yearly, as the scope of
the company's business relations was
widened, and it became one of the largest
in the country, being at the present time
owned and operated by the National Tube
Company. Throughout the years of its con-
tinuance Mr. Bradley held the position of
superintendent of the butt-weld department,
his skillful management of the practical end
of the concern being no small factor in the
power and prestige it gained among com-
petitors. Constantly in touch with his em-
ployees and the heads of his departments,
he noted the instances in which there ap-
peared to be a waste of time, labor and ma-
terial, and devised and invented several
labor-saving schemes. He also introduced
the use of the bell in making butt-weld pipe,



a system universally utilized in his home
land and which he had installed in the mill
m which he was employed in McKeesport.
His association with this plant endured until
his resignation, which took elTect January
I, 1906, since which time he has lived re-
tired, at the present time (1914), having
come through a vigorous and useful man-
hood to the age of four-score years, each
of which has made but a gentle mark and
has strengthened, rather than impaired, the
acuteness and power of his mental faculties.
In the spiritual and religious life of Mr.
Bradley is found ardent inspiration for his
daily walk. The spirit of brotherhood has
pervaded his whole relation with his fel-
lows, and while he was superintendent of
the tube company he held the personal
friendship of many of the men employed
under him, placing Bibles throughout the
mill for perusal as they cared, conferring
with and advising them upon matters of
private life. For more than twenty years
he has been a member of the session of the
Middletown Presbyterian church, and for
twelve years was teacher of a class in the
Sunday school.

Mr. Bradley married, at Walsall, Eng-
land, in 1856, Leah, daughter of Joseph and
Leah (Parsons) Rigby, her father a manu-
facturer of coach a.xles. Her death occur-
red November 23, 1893, and on December
14, 1904, Mr. Bradley married Mary Eliz-
abeth Murr, of Middletown, Pennsylvania.
Children of the first marriage of Mr. Brad-
ley: I. Julia, married John Henderson, a
machinist of Lorraine, Ohio, and has chil-
dren. 2. Leah Nora, married Peter Webb,
of McKeesport, Penn.sylvania, and is the
mother of children. 3. George, a machinist,
married Josephine Hollis, and has children.
4. Jolin J., married Ida Watts, and has chil-
dren. He is foreman of the butt-weld de-
partment of the National Tube Works of
Lorraine, Ohio, the largest factory of its
kind in the world. 5. Matilda, married
William Bart, superintendent of the Lor-
raine Tube Works, of Lorraine, Ohio. They



965



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



have children. 6. Samuel, an employee of
the Lorraine Tube Works, married Lillie
Martin, and is the father of children. 7.
Kate, deceased. 8. Hannah, married Frank
Miller, of Bellsville, Pennsylvania. 9. Sarah,
married Frank Ernest, of Steelton, Penn-
sylvania. 10. Amelia, married Urban Hart-
man, a merchant of Sunbury, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Bradley's residence is at the corner
of Wood and Main streets, his attractive
and commodious home having been erected
in 1889, on a lot purchased from Colonel
James Young.



SUTTON, William Henry,

Educator, Lawyer, Financier.

Although of New Jersey birth, Mr. Sut-
ton has passed his entire professional life in
and near Philadelphia. His father, a
scholarly gentlemen, was connected with
the Philadelphia Conference of the Meth-
odist Episcopal church for many years, later
transferring to the Wilmington Lonference.

William H. Sutton was born in Haddon-
field. New Jersey, September 11, 1835, son
of Rev. Henry and Ann (Craig) Sutton,
his father an honored minister of the Meth-
odist Episcopal church. After a course in
the public schools he entered the prepara-
tory department of Dickinson College,
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, entering the follow-
ing year the freshman class. He continued
at Dickinson until near the close of his
sophomore year, when an epidemic of small-
po.x closed the college. He then engaged
in teaching the next two years, entering in
September, 1855, the junior class of Wes-
leyan University, Middletown, Connecticut,
whence he was graduated A. B., class of
1857. After leaving the university he spent
three years as instructor at the American
Institute for the Deaf and Dumb, Hartford,
Connecticut, pursuing during the same
period legal studies under Hon. John
Hooker, son-in-law of Rev. Lyman Beecher.
He then entered Albany Law School, but
being financially unable to complete the



course, came to Philadelphia, completing
his legal preparatory study under the pre-
ceptorship of Hon. William M. Meredith,
a former Secretary of the Treasury of the
United States.

In 1863 Mr. Sutton was admitted to the
Philadelphia bar and at once began practice
in that city. His practice extends to all the
State and Federal courts of the district and
is one of importance. He has developed
unusual ability in the cases tried before a
jury and is a particularly skillful cross-
questioner. He has been connected with
many notable cases and is considered one
of the ablest lawyers practicing at the Phila-
delphia bar. His reputation extends beyond
the limits of his home city, and has also
secured him a large jury practice in the
counties of Delaware and Montgomery.
The law has been to Mr. Sutton "a jealous
mistress," and he has devoted his time
almost exclusively to his profession, his out-
side interests being largely confined to
directorships in the banks and trust com-
panies which he has assisted in organizing,
viz. : The Merion Title and Trust Company
of Ardmore, Pennsylvania, of which he has
been a director since its incorporation ; and
the West Philadelphia Title and Trust Com-
pany. He also was one of the promoters
of the Bryn Mawr National Bank. He has
been active and influential in the councils
of the Democratic party ; was elected in
1876 auditor of Lower Merion township;
in 1879 school director of the same town-
ship; in 1882 State Senator from the Ninth
Senatorial District of Philadelphia, serving
with honor and distinction four years, and
has since declined nominations for Congress,
although accepting a nomination for judge
of Montgomery county.

During the Civil War, while residing in
Springfield, Delaware county, he was in-
strumental in raising a company of emer-
gency guards, who were held in readiness
to march to the front, but the battle of
Gettysburg turned back the invaders from
the South and the services of the company
966



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



were not called for. Mr. Sutton was made
a Mason many years ago and has attained
unusual distinction in that order. He is the
oldest past master of George W. Bartram
Lodge, No. 292, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons ; was one of the charter members of
Montgomery Chapter, Royal Arch Masons,
of Ardmore, was its first high priest and
for thirty years has served as treasurer; is
past eminent commander of Hutchinson
Commandery, No. 32, Knights Templar,
and has also served in every elective office
in that body. He has taken a deep interest
in civic associations, also scientific and edu-
cational societies that have a specific aim
and has contributed freely to their upbuiUl-
ing by personal efifort. These include : The
American Academy of Political and Social
Science ; Children's Play Ground Associa-
tion ; Public Education ; and the Pennsyl-
vania Civil Service Association. His col-
lege fraternity is Psi Upsilon ; his clubs ;
The Merion Cricket, Philadelphia, Demo-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 41 of 58)