Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 42 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 42 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cratic, and others. He and his family are
members of the Methodist Episcopal church,
belonging to St. Luke's of Bryn Mawr, in
which Mr. Sutton now serves as treasurer
of the board of trustees. He has been an
active church worker all his life and has
served different churches as Sunday school
superintendent, steward, trustee, president
of boards of trustees and treasurer.

Mr. Sutton married, June 25, 1872, at
"Llanelew," Haverford, flower Merion
township, Montgomery county, Pennsyl-
vania, Hannah Anderson. The wedding
ceremony was performed by the then senior
bishop of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Rev. Matthew Simpson, assisted by Rev.
Horace Cleveland, D. D., and Rev. M. A.
Day.

Mrs. Sutton is the daughter of Isaac W.
and Martha (Yocum) Anderson, and a
great-great-granddaughter of Major Patrick
Anderson, who bravely commanded a de-
tachment of troops under General Anthony
Wayne, during the Revolution. His son
Isaac was a distinguished member of Con-



gress. She is a granddaughter of Dr.
James Anderson, a prominent physician and
landowner at and near what is now Ard-
more, Pennsylvania. Children of William
Henry and Hannah Sutton: i. Howard
Anderson, born 1873, a graduate of VVes-
leyan University, class of 1895; "ow a
practicing physician of Philadelphia. 2.
William Henry, died in his third year. 3.
Helen, wife of Newlin Evan Davis, a grad-
uate of Wesleyan University ; now residing
in Middletown, Connecticut. 4. Isaac Craw-
ford, born March 10, 1887, a graduate of
Wesleyan University and the law depart-
ment of University of Pennsylvania; now
associated with his father in legal practice;
he married, November 12, 1912, Miss Ruth
Clarke, of Lexington, Kentucky. 5. Grace,
now connected, and rendering important
service, with the Charity Organization of
Philadelphia. 6. Corona, residing at home.
7. Henry Craig, graduate of Cornell Univer-
sity, C. E. and M. E., now practicing me-
chanical engineering in Philadelphia. 8.
Mildred, married, June, 191 1, Olin McCor-
mick, a civil engineer, now residing at Perth
.\mboy. New Jersey. 9. Joseph Aubrey,
now a sophomore at Wesleyan University,
Middletown, Connecticut.

Mr. Sutton is highly regarded for his
scholarly and legal attainments and has re-
ceived from the National Temperance Uni-
versity of Tennessee the honorary degree of
Doctor of Laws, while in 1909 Dickinson
College conferred D. C. L.

As this brief outline of his career shows,
he has been active in legal, church, fraternal,
benevolent and philanthropic work, and is
highly esteemed and honored by his brethren
and associates.



REWALT, Dr. John W.,

Pliarmacist, Prominent Citizen.

The late Dr. John W. Rcwalt, of Middle-
town, Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, was
a man whose influence will be felt for good
for many years to come in the business



967



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



world as well as in numerous other direc-
tions. He was a son of William and Eliza-
beth (Eshenour)- Rewalt, of Middletown,
was born in that town in January, 1848, and
died there, July 29, 1909. Dr. Rewalt was
educated in the district schools of his native
town, and at the age of fourteen years be-
came a clerk in a general store. After a
short period of this service, he entered the
drug store of Mr. Blensinger, remaining
there two years and obtaining during this
time a thorough practical knowledge of the
drug business. Having been thus prepared,
he became a student at the Philadelphia
College of Pharmacy, and was graduated
with honor from that institution. Soon
after his graduation he entered into a part-
nership with T. C. Laverty, in the drug busi-
ness, this association continuing for a period
of two and a half years, when the firm dis-
solved. From that time Dr. Rewalt en-
gaged and conducted a business alone until
his death. Had Dr. Rewalt chosen to de-
vote his abilities to financial matters, he
would undoubtedly have made a success in
that direction. He was one of the founders
of the Citizens' National Bank of Middle-
town, and president of this institution from
its incorporation until the time of his death.
As an evidence of the esteem in which Dr.
Rewalt was held by his fellow citizens, it
must be stated that at the time of the
Middletown flood, he was made treasurer of
the flood fund. He was Democratic in polit-
ical opinion, and served many years as a
member of the school board of the town.
In matters connected with religion he was
equally active and prominent. He was an
elder in the Presbyterian church many years,
and a large contributor to the building fund
for the new edifice. As superintendent of
the Sunday school he rendered efiiective
service until his death. Dr. Rewalt married
(first) Mary Eyster, of Chambersburg,
Pennsylvania, and had three children ; he
married (second) Mrs. Mary E. (Kendig)
Fackler, of Middletown, and had : Dr. Rob-
ert K. Rewalt, of Williamsport, Pennsyl-



vania, who was graduated from the medical
department of the University of Pennsyl-
vania; John K. Rewalt, a mechanical engi-
neer, of Rochester, New York, was gradu-
ated from Cornell University in the class of
191 1, and married Norma Morse, of Ithaca,
New York. The descent of Mrs. Mary E.
(Kendig) (Fackler) Rewalt is as follows:

(I) John Jacob Kendig, born about 1620-
25, in Berne, Switzerland, married Jane
Mylim and had five children.

(II) Jacob, son of John Jacob and Jane
(Mylim) Kendig, was born in 1650, died in
1728, and was of Conestoga, Pennsylvania.
He married Onela, daughter of Hans
Moyer, and had one son.

(III) Jacob, son of Jacob and Onela
(Moyer) Kendig, was born in Conestoga,
in 1675, and died, intestate, in 1735. He
married Alice Wade, and had seven chil-
dren.

(IV) Henry, son of Jacob and Alice
(Wade) Kendig, was born in 17 10, died in
1756, and was of Strasburg, Pennsylvania.
He married Marie Wolf and had five chil-
dren.

(V) Martin, son of Henry and Marie
(Wolf) Kendig, was born June 3, 1750,
and died at Waterloo, New York, March i,
1826. He was of Sunbury, Pennsylvania,
and married, at St. James' Church, Lancas-
ter, Pennsylvania, Mary Brennerman, and
had nine children.

(VI) John, son of Martin and Mary
(Brennerman) Kendig, was born in Sun-
bury, October 4, 1770, and died in Middle-
town, Pennsylvania, April 12, 1831. He
married Elizabeth Hill, of Oley, Berks
county, Pennsylvania, born September 18,
1770, died March 20, 1845. They had three
children.

(VII) Daniel, son of John and Elizabeth
(Hill) Kendig, was born in Middletown,
March 16, 1802, and died December 31,
1876. He was engaged in the lumber busi-
ness many years, and also conducted a plan-
ing mill in partnership with Mr. Crist. He
was an ardent Republican and Abolitionist,



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and was appointed by President Lincoln as
United States assessor of internal revenue.
He was one of the elders of the Presby-
terian church of Middletown, and, upon the
erection of the church, he was a generous
contributor of the time and means at his
disposal. For more than twenty-five years
he was superintendent of the Sabbath school
of this church, and was active in every
movement in social life as well, that had
for its object the betterment of existing
conditions. When his last moments came
he could truthfully say, as he did to those
gathered about him, "I have tried to leave
you a good name," and those who knew him
best fully realized that he had been more
than successful. Mr. Kendig married
(first) Susan Shelly, born March 21, 1807,
died December 15, 1834, and had three chil-
dren. He married (second) March 10,
1836, Sarah Rutherford, born in Paxton
Valley, May 23, 1813, died in Middletown,
March 28, 1873, and they had eight chil-
dren, of whom Mrs. John W. Rewalt was
the sixth child.



HARRIS, Robert H.,

Journalist, Public Official.

Through two generations of the name
Harris, the town of Tamaqua, Schuylkill
county, Pennsylvania, has owned a news-
paper that in its growth from a weekly to
a daily publication has ever presented to
the citizens of the borough a "clean sheet,"
reliable in its report of current events, con-
servative and truthful in editorial speech,
and honorable in political fray, вАФ "The
Courier." This is the institution of that
locality with which the name is indissolubly
bound, and no monument could better speak
its works than this journal, which has not
only endured for more than forty years,
but has steadily increased in prestige and
circulation.

The Harris family in the United States
begins with John F., a native of Devonshire,
England, born in 1823. He immigrated to



the United States about 1859, coming
directly to Pennsylvania and locating in
Schuylkill county, near Mahanoy City,
moving in 1874 to Frackville, in the same
county, where his death occurred. In his
native land he had been a rock miner and
contractor, and in his new American home
engaged in mining. He was a Republican
in political action, and during the existence
of the Labor Reform party, a movement
that for a time held a large following, lab-
ored diligently to advance its interests. In
the height of its strength he was often
sought as a candidate for office, but stead-
fastly declined, preferring private efforts
to public responsibility. He married Mary
A., daughter of George Greening, a native
of Devonshire, England, by whom he was
the father of three sons and one daughter.

Robert, son of John F. and Mary A.
(Greening) Harris, was born in Devonshire,
England, June i, 1854, died January 16,
1896. In 1862, at the very early age of eight
years, he was apprenticed to the printer's
trade in a large establishment in his native
land, but only served two years of his desig-
nated time. In 1869 he came with his
mother, sister and two brothers to the
United States, joining his father in Maha-
noy City, where the latter had been em-
ployed in mining since his arrival about ten
years before. Robert soon after obtained
a position in the office of the "Mahanoy
Gazette," and there finished the apprentice-
ship he had begun in England, becoming a
journeyman printer in November, 1871. He
then came to Tamaqua to accept a position
as foreman in the service of Eveland &
Shiflfert, owners and editors of the "Satur-
day Courier," remaining in that capacity
until February, 1872, when he purchased
the interest of Mr. Shiffert in the paper.
Thus began his relation with the "Courier"
as part owner, and since then the words
"Courier" and Harris have been ever linked.

The "Tamaqua Courier" traces its history
back to the establishment of the "Tamaqua
Legion" in 1849, owned and edited by J. M.
969



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and D. C. Reinhart, the name soon after-
ward being changed to "Tamaqua Gazette,"
and subsequently to "Tamaqua Anthracite
Gazette," under which name it suspended
pubhcation in 1861 for two months, and
was then sold to R. I. Leyburn, who
changed its name to the "Anthracite Jour-
nal." At this time Captain Leyburn enlisted
for the Civil War, leaving the paper editor-
less, and a year later Messrs. Fry & Jones
announced proprietorship until his return.
The paper was then sold to the Monitor
Publishing Company and issued as the "Sat-
urday Courier," and again changed hands,
this time passing into the ownership of
Messrs. Eveland & Shiffert, in 1871. Dur-
ing the next year Mr. Harris succeeded Mr.
Shiffert in part ownership, and the paper
was continued under the control of Eve-
land & Harris. Subsequently the firm pur-
chased the equipment of the "Anthracite
Monitor," a labor reform journal estab-
lished in 1 87 1, and which at one time held
a large circulation and wielded a powerful
influence. By this transaction they acquired
the following and good will of the patrons
of the "Monitor" and the prestige of the old
"Legion," of which "The Monitor" was the
outgrowth, the first paper printed in Ta-
maqua. In 1878 Daniel M. Eveland retired,
and Harris & Zeller took up the manage-
ment of the publication. At this time "The
Courier" was changed to a daily, the grow-
ing demands of the borough necessitating
such a move and to offset, as well, the in-
crease of the competition instituted by the
establishment of "The Item," a daily paper
owned by Levi Huppert. "The Item" was
soon discontinued by reason of the death
of the proprietor, and in 1881 "The Courier"
partnership was dissolved, Mr. Harris be-
coming sole possessor. Until January,
1893, "The Courier" was published as a
weekly paper ; in that year it was trans-
formed into a semi-weekly ; and in 1901
became a daily, as it now continues.

Mr. Harris was a member of Tamaqua
Castle, No. 68, Knights of the Golden



Eagles, of which he was the first presiding
officer, later holding the title of past chief,
besides being a representative to the Grand
Castle for five years, and until December,
1892, master of the historical records. He
was also one of the organizers of the Ta-
maqua and Lansford Street Railway Com-
pany, incorporated November 2, 1S91. He
married Sophia M., daughter of Marcus
Meyers, born in Bavaria, Germany, May i,
1874.

Robert H., son of Robert and Sophia M.
(Meyers) Harris, was born in Tamaqua,
Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, June 4,
1879. He was educated in the public schools
of his birthplace, graduating from the high
school in 1897, later obtaining a course in
business methods and practices in the Pierce
Business College, Philadelphia. On May
12, 1898, being a member of Company B,
Eighth Regiment National Guard of Penn-
sylvania, he enlisted with this command for
the Spanish-American War, and served al-
most eleven months as a corporal of this
command. In 1902 he accepted a position
as clerk in the employ of the Fidelity and
Casualty Company of New York, in their
Philadelphia office, but after nine months
spent in this service he returned to Ta-
maqua and became associated with his
brother, John M., in the management and
editing of the "Evening Courier." After
his return to his native borough it was not
long before he found his place in the affairs
of the town, and has ever been one of the
chief promoters of any project tending
toward the betterment of any phase of the
city's life, aiding greatly bj' giving such
movements desired publicity through the
columns of "The Courier." He was always
thoroughly well informed concerning the
different branches of the borough govern-
ment, as was necessary for one in his busi-
ness, and it was not strange that, on the
death of Arthur M. Heath, chief burgess of
Tamaqua, Mr. Harris should be appointed
by the court to fill out the unexpired term.
He assumed the duties of his temporary
970



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



office in 1912, and on November 4, 1913,
was chosen by the voters of the borough
to fill that office for a full term of four
years, his tenure of office expiring in 1917.
Mr. Harris, in political preference, may be
best described as an independent Repub-
lican, for while he sympathizes with most
of the principles of the RepubHcan plat-
form he does not commit himself to its sup-
port in all of its movements. Mr. Harris
afliliates with the following orders : Ta-
maqua Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ;
Knights of the Golden Eagles ; Tamaqua
Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks ; Loyal Order of Moose ; the Buffaloes,
and the Royal Arcanum. He also holds
membership in the Tamaqua Chamber of
Commerce. In religious faith he is a mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal church.

He married, June 14, 1906, Gertrude,
daughter of John and Elizabeth (Jervis)
Bryant. They are the parents of one son,
Robert M., born April 23, 1909.



MOHN, John Garner,

Lieading Manufacturer.

A veteran of the Civil War before he was
nineteen years of age, and a veteran hat
manufacturer of his native State, 1871-1914,
Mr. Mohn has in war and in peace proven
his worth and fitness to rank with the men
of his State in all that pertains to good citi-
zenship. The firm of J. G. Mohn & Brothers
has passed through all phases of commer-
cial life during forty-three years of exist-
ence, has been all swept away by fire at
three difl'erent times but each time has risen
above all calamities until to-day it is recog-
nized as one of the strong firms of Reading
with a plant among the very largest in the
State devoted to the hat manufacture. The
firm, founded in 187 1, is yet constituted of
the three brothers who were the original
members, Jeremiah G., Richard and John
Gerner Mohn, sons of William Mohn,
grandsons of Daniel Mohn, great-grandsons
of Ludwig Mohn, and great-great-grand-



sons of Johannes Mohn, who founded the
family in Pennsylvania, coming from Ger-
many.

Johannes Mohn, born in Ilanoom, Ger-
many, in 1700, came to Pennsylvania in
1733 with his wife and four children, on the
ship "Elizabeth." Records show that he
purchased land in what is now Spring town-
ship, Berks county, and there died in 1764.
William Mohn, his great-grandson, was at
-Mohn's Hill, Brecknock township, Berks
county, Pennsylvania, September 6, 1804,
owned the homestead which he cultivated
for several years, then purchased a grist
mill at Adamstown, which he operated for
ten years. He established a school and
church at Mohn's Hill and was an earnest
and faithful member of the Evangelical
church. Several years after his death his
son, Jeremiah G. Mohn, purchased the prop-
erty on which the church stood and in 1895
presented it to the congregation worship-
ping there as a memorial to his parents, the
church ever since being known as Mohn
Memorial Church. William Mohn was three
times married, his first wife, Polly (Ger-
ner) Mohn, being the mother of his nine
children, seven sons and two daughters.
She died May 16, 1851.

John Gerner Mohn, youngest son of Wil-
liam and Polly (Gerner) Mohn, was born
at Mohn's Hill, Berks county, Pennsylvania,
November 19, 1846. He was educated in
the public schools there and at Adamstown,
two miles distant. He was his father's as-
sistant in mill and farm work until seven-
teen years of age, then on February 23,
1864, he enlisted in Company B, Fifty-fifth
Regular Pennsylvania X'oluntecr Infantry,
serving until honorably discharged, .August
31, 1865, and mustered out at Pctcr.sburg,
\'irginia. He saw hard service during the
last two years of the war, was engaged
with the Army of the Potomac in several of
its hardest battles, but escaping all the perils
of war he returned lionic uninjured. On
the termination of his war service he learned
the trade of hatter with John and George



971



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Hendel, the latter his brother-in-law, who
were then operating a factory at St. Law-
rence, in Exeter township. He remained
with that firm until 1871, becoming expert
in all that pertained to hat manufacture as
there practiced. In 1871 the brothers named
previously, and an elder brother William,
purchased the hat factory of their brother-
in-law, George Hendel, which the latter had
established in Reading in 1867, on Maple
street, south of Chestnut. They organized
as Mohn Brothers and with a factory force
of fifty hands began the manufacture of
wool hats. Three years later William Mohn
died, and on January i, 1875, the reorgan-
ized firm, consisting of the present partners,
began business as J. G. Mohn & Brothers.
The firm's first factory on Maple street
was destroyed by fire, March 17, 1875, but
was rebuilt the same year, operated until
January i, 1881, then sold to the Reading
Fur Hat Company. In 1878 they purchased
the factory of Kutz Arnold & Company, on
Eleventh street, south of Chestnut, also
leased the Levan factory on the rear of
1026 Penn street, operating all until the sale
of the Maple street factory in 1881. The
Eleventh street plant, employing over one
hundred and fifty hands, was almost totally
destroyed by fire, September 6, 1892. It
was rebuilt and operated with energy and
success until February 13, 1899, when dur-
ing a violent storm and blizzard, covering
roofs and sidewalks under two feet of snow,
the plant caught fire late in the evening,
and before it was checked the fire fiend had
for the third time swept away a valuable
plant belonging to the Mohn Brothers. A
fourth factory was built and equipped with
all the latest and best form of hatmaking
machinery and appliances, and business re-
sumed with undaunted courage. Success
followed and in 1905 a large addition to
their plant was erected, the number of hands
was largely increased and to-day their plant
is one of the largest in the State devoted to
hatmaking, their products going to all parts
of the United States, Canada and to several



South American countries. The brothers
had all practical hat factory experience be-
fore joining forces, Jeremiah G. and Rich-
ard in the shipping departments and office,
John G. in the manufacturing department.
They have all worked for the prosperity of
the business, the success of one being the
success of all, and in their harmonious and
concerted association, the firm presented a
strength not represented by capital, but far
greater the strength of three in one.

John G. Mohn is also identified as a
director with the Keystone National Bank
and the Reading Hardware Company.
Since attaining his majority he has been a
loyal supporter of the Republican party and
an active worker for party supremacy. He
represented the Third Ward of his city in
Common Council, 1874-76 and from 1876
until 1888 represented his ward on the
School Board. He is a member of the First
Presbyterian Church and since 1884 has
served on the board of trustees. He has
been prominently identified with the Young
Men's Christian Association as a manager
for over a quarter of a century, was treas-
urer of the association for fifteen years
and is one of the men whose earnest loyalty
and liberality during all these years has
made possible the handsome and commo-
dious building in Reading, soon to be occu-
pied by the association.

Mr. Mohn married Cecelia A. Harbster,
daughter of William Harbster, deceased,
and his wife Ellen (Matthews) Harbster.
Mrs. Mohn is also a member of the First
Presbyterian Church and a co-worker with
her husband in church and charitable work.
Since 1885 she has taught continuously in
the Sunday school, has had charge of the
mothers' meeting of the church for twenty
years ; has been a member of the Widows'
Home Association since its organization in
1874 and since 1898 one of the Board of
Managers of the Home ; has been treasurer
since 1892 of the Ladies' Auxiliary of the
Young Men's Christian Association, and
since 1890 identified with the work of the



972



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Reading Benevolent Society. The daugh-
ters of John G. and CeceHa A. (Harbster)
Mohn died young, a son, William Harbster
Mohn, surviving.

William Harbster Mohn was born in
Reading, Pennsylvania, July 24, 1872. He
was educated in the public schools and at
Blairstown Hall, New Jersey, beginning
business life with his father and uncles in
the hat factory of J. G. Mohn & Brothers.
He did not take kindly to that business, and
in a short time entered the employ of the
National Brass and Iron Works, serving
five years in the mounting department, then
being promoted foreman of the department.
In 1902 he became superintendent of the
plant, continuing until 1908 when he formed
a partnership with Edward Kershner as
Mohn & Kershner. The firm are success-
ful manufacturers of foundry and art metal
goods, their plant, located on Robertson
street below Weiser, employing from eighty
to one hundred hands. Mr. Mohn is an
active member of the First Presbyterian
Church and Sunday school, having served
for many years as treasurer of the latter.
He married Hattie, daughter of Daniel L.
Adams, founder of the Reading Radiator
Works. Children: Katherine, student at
National Park Seminary, Maryland ; John
Daniel, in second year of high school, Read-
ing.



MOHN, Jeremiah Gerner,

Snccessfnl Business Man.

To estimate the value of a good man to
his community is not an easy task, there are
so many standards of value. The final
award, however, is in just hands and a well
spent life such as will herein be recorded
will be properly appraised, and the results
known by the Great Adjuster of Accounts.
A human estimate of the value of the life
and service of Jeremiah Gerner Mohn will
underestimate rather than overestimate
their value as he is a man whose right hand
knows not what his left is doing, his good



deeds are many of them unknown save to
the beneficiaries, yet he has not hid his



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 42 of 58)