Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 44 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


This regiment saw hard service with the
often hard pressed Army of the Potomac,
serving first with the Eighth Army Corps,
later with the First. After reporting at
Washington, they were at the siege of Suf-
folk, and the battle of Black River, where
Colonel Knoderer was shot. After this they
were sent to Yorkstown, Richmond, Wil-
liamsburg and Chickahominy River, thence
ordered to Gettysburg, finally to South
Alountain, where they camped one night,
there receiving tidings of Lee's defeat and
retreat. They joined the Army of the Po-
tomac at Berlin, and followed Lee as far as
Rappahannock. Their time expiring, the nine
months' men were mustered out in August,
1863. Captain Schall served with his com-
pany and regiment through all those move-
ments, displaying the soldierly qualities of
bravery, endurance and sacrifice.

Returning from the army he became clerk
in a mercantile house, remaining as such
until 1872, when he returned to the Dale
Forge farm, where for two years he was a
dealer in lime, and a farmer. He then
located at Pennsburg, conducting a lumber
and coal business for several years, then
until 1900 he conducted the same business
at Barlow, adding grain to the lines carried.
In the latter year he retired and has since



979



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



resided at his beautiful home, Brookside.
In poHtics a Democrat, he has held many
local offices, and has served his communities
well. He is a member of the Reformed
church, fraternizes with his army comrades
as a member of General Williard H. Keim
Post, No. 76, Grand Army of the Republic,
and is one of the highly respected and well
esteemed men of his city.

Captain Schall married, in 1881, Mary
B., daughter of Ezra High, a farmer of
Cumru township, and has a daughter, Emily
May. The family home is on Lancaster
avenue, Brookside. Captain Schall's wife
and daughter are also communicants of the
Reformed church.

Mrs. Schall is a granddaughter of Briga-
dier-General William High, born January
14, 1786, one of the best known men of
Berks county of his time. He was county
commissioner, member of the Legislature,
delegate to the State Constitutional Con-
vention of 1828, associate judge of Berks
county, captain of the Reading Cavalry and
for fifteen years brigadier-general of Penn-
sylvania State Militia by election. He was
a man of every sterling quality, courageous
in the execution of his convictions and left
to posterity a name untarnished. He mar-
ried (first) Catherine, daughter of John
van Reed, (second) a daughter of Jacob
van Reed.

Ezra High, son of Brigadier-General Wil-
liam High, was born at Poplar Neck, Berks
county, Pennsylvania, August 15, 1816, died
April 8, 1897. He was a farmer and influ-
ential citizen of the lower end of the coun-
try, a man of great public spirit and a large
landowner. He was an antiquarian of local
note, and possessed a valuable collection of
Indian relics, which he donated to the Berks
County Historical Society. He married, in
1 841, Hannah, daughter of George and Bar-
bara (Hain) Gernand, and with her is
buried in the High private cemetery at Pop-
lar Neck on the old homestead close by the
remains of his honored father, Brigadier-



General William High. Mary B., his sec-
ond daughter, married Captain William A.
Schall.



LEMBERGER, Joseph L.,

Soldier, Master Pharmacist.

Joseph L. Lemberger, head of the old
established firm of Lemberger & Company,
is one of the pioneer business men of this
section and the founder of one of the first
pharmacies in this part of the country.
Established in 1857 and conducted under
the several firm names of Guilford & Lem-
berger, J. L. Lemberger, and Lemberger &
Company, this business has been under the
continuous management of its promoter
ever since it was established on the east side
of Market Square, fifty-six years ago, in
the building now occupied by Dr. William
M. Guilford, just north of Cumberland
street. The present excellent and spacious
quarters of the business attest the success
of the firm, and the position which Mr.
Lemberger occupies in the ranks of Leb-
anon's professional and commercial citizens.
Joseph L. Lemberger was born in the
year 1834, in Myerstown, Lebanon county,
Pennsylvania, from which place his parents
removed when he was but five years of age,
settling in the northwestern section of the
county. Here he received his early educa-
tion, and at the age of twelve years entered
the Lebanon Academy, where he remained
until, at the age of fourteen years, he took
his first step in business life. This was in
a country store, and on November 20, 1848,
he was indentured to Dr. Joseph P. Filler,
at Second and Beaver streets, Philadelphia,
for a term of six years and seventeen days.
He became greatly interested in pharmacy,
and recognizing the value of systematic in-
struction in the acquisition of a proper
knowledge of the subject, he became in due
course of time a student at the Philadelphia
College of Pharmacy, one of the best insti-
tutions of the kind in the country. He was
980




(^^^ijff oi:.^;i^^^.X^A^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



graduated from the college with the class of
1854, and afterward associated himself as
clerk with the pharmacy of Alexander
Duval, in Richmond, Virginia, where he re-
mained for a short while previous to enter-
ing into business on his own account. In
1856 (or 1857) he returned to Lebanon,
forming a partnership with Dr. William
Guilford which lasted for a year, and then
assuming full control of the enterprise
which he conducted for a long while there-
after under his own name, but in the same
location. This was in the building now
occupied by Dr. Guilford as a residence.

With the growth of the town a change of
locality became necessary, and in 1883,
when building operations m the neighbor-
hood compelled a removal, the pharmacy
v/as established on the other side of the
street, in its present advantageous position.
Lebanon at that time was a very different
place from the city as we now recognize it.
There were no railways nor street cars, no
electricity, gas or steam. The streets were
very insufficiently lighted, and it was found
necessary to place another lamp directly in
front of the store, this bringing it into con-
siderable prominence. All the freight
which was received by the firm was brought
to Lebanon from Philadelphia on the Union
canal. Market Square at that time was the
centre of the county ; the old open market
was located in the centre of the square, and
the characteristic town pump was standing
in the square not far from the drug store.
Even in those old days the pharmacy was
well known throughout the county, because
of its prominent location and its high stand-
ard of excellence.

From the time that Mr. Lemberger as-
sumed sole direction of the business, a year
after its first establishment with Dr. Guil-
ford as senior partner, his personal history
has become identified with the pharmacy
whose growth has been commensurate with
that of the town itself. For a period, how-
ever, during the Civil War the store was
closed; this was while Mr. Lemberger was



serving as hospital steward in the Twenty-
sixth Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers,
sacrificing his business entirely to the needs
of his country. He had previously volun-
teered in 1862, enlisting in Company A, of
the Eleventh Infantry of First Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, renewing his enlistment
at expiration of his first term of service.
At the close of the war he returned to Leb-
anon and devoted all of his time to the
interests of the pharmacy and to his public
duties as a citizen, and by his fidelity and
valuable services to the community he has
won a high place in its esteem.

He has taken a lively interest at all times
and in all places in the progress of phar-
maceutical education, and in the position
which the profession holds in the eyes of
the world. From the date of his gradua-
tion he has been especially interested in the
work of the Philadelphia College of Phar-
macy ; and has also taken an active interest
in that other great professional school, the
Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association,
of which he was one of the charter members
and whose treasurer he was ever since its
organization in 1878 until recently, when he
became its president. Several years ago he
was made president of the American Phar-
maceutical Association, a powerful national
body in the world of medicine and phar-
macy. In March, 1889, the honorary de-
gree of Ph. M. (Master of Pharmacy) was
conferred upon him by his alma mater, the
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, in recog-
nition of his services in her behalf. Since
1894 he has been a member of the board of
trustees of this college, and is now its vice-
president. Indeed, Mr. Lemberger has be-
come a national figure in the medical and
pharmaceutical world, the papers which he
has contributed to the American Pharma-
ceutical Association during his long term of
connection with that body, since first be-
coming a member in 1858, having brought
his name conspicuously before the profes-
sion ; other good service which he has ren-
dered at various times on its committees,



981



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPFIY



notably that of finance between i8Si and
1887, and his service as vice-president,
which he became in 1879, have further en-
hanced his high professional reputation.

In his drug business Mr. Lemberger has
chosen his associates with the greatest pos-
sible care, so that the high standard of busi-
ness efficiency which he established in the
beginning should not at any time be found
less conscientiously maintained. Mr. Frank
H. E. Gleim, the junior member of the firm
of Lemberger & Company, was taken into
the partnership in 1895, having first entered
the business in May, 1866, as Mr. Lem-
berger's apprentice. Fie was from that
early time filled with the ambition to become
a druggist, and learning the business in all
its details, devoted his spare time to study
which he pursued at night and in all mo-
ments of inactivity. In a few years he
entered the Philadelphia College of Phar-
macy, graduating in 1874, and returning to
Lebanon and his association with Mr. Lem-
berger, to whom he became the most valu-
able of assistants. The partnership estab-
lished in 1895 has been an eminently
felicitous one, both partners being members
and officers in many of the most influential
national and local pharmaceutical and drug
associations. They are also sympathetic in
their relations to public service in the civic
and religious world, both being members
of the Reformed church which has been
actively supported by them, and both having
been prominently connected for some years
past with the city government.

During the half century and more that
the firm has been in existence, more than a
score of rising young men, many of whom
are now filling positions of trust and im-
portance in various parts of the country,
received their first lessons in pharmacy here,
learning the principle from Mr. Lemberger
that "in medicine, quality is of the first im-
portance." At the present time the firm has
connected with it Dr. Harvey A. Henry,
who, apprenticed to the firm in 1899, is also
a graduate of the Philadelphia College of



Pharmacy; and is a holder of their most
recent degree. Doctor of Pharmacy, which
was adopted several years ago in place of
the Graduate of Pharmacy, which was for-
merly used by the college. Dr. Henry is a
graduate of the class of 1906, and has been
with Lemberger & Company ever since this
time, assisting in attracting to the pharmacy
the patronage of many of the best citizens
and physicians of Lebanon.

Mr. Lemberger's labors have been in
many fields, and he is connected with many
interests and public movements. Besides
his active connection with the Philadelphia
College of Pharmacy as vice-president and
member of its Alumni Association, and his
presidency of the American Pharmaceutical
Association, his interest in city institutions
has been profound ; and his services as mem-
ber of the board of trustees of the State
Asylum for Chronic Insane, at Werners-
ville, Pennsylvania, have brought him into
high repute. Since the date of its organiza-
tion by the State of Pennsylvania, he has
also been secretary of this institution. He
has served as a member of the city council
for a number of years, and was for several
terms a director in the public schools of the
city; for his public financial services, he has
been called by his friends, "the watch dog
of the treasury." His patriotic services dur-
ing the Civil War have been already alluded
to, having won him distinct appreciation in
the community. Mr. Lemberger is also a
member of the board of managers of the
Pennsylvania Chautauqua, an organization
that has done splendid educational work,
and he has indeed been an active worker in
all educational movements in which the city
has been concerned. He was one of the
founders of the Young Men's Christian
Association of this place, having been on its
building committee, a member of its board
of directors, and finally vice-president, the
presidency having been refused by him. He
is also a member of the Board of Commis-
sioners for Foreign Missions of the Re-
formed Church in the United States, and



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



has become its treasurer. He is an earnest
worker in church affairs, having been con-
nected for more than fifty years as super-
intendent of its Sunday school, with the
First Reformed Church of the United
States. Mr. Lemberger is an ardent mem-
ber of the Masonic fraternity, and belongs
to Mount Lebanon Lodge, No. 226; Weidel
Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and Hermit
Commandery, Knights Templar ; he also
served for a number of terms as district
deputy grand high priest of the Royal Arch
Masons. He is a man who has in almost
every capacity served his country faithfully
and well, by the public-spirited interest he
has taken in professional, educational and
civic affairs, and the conscientious manner
of performance of the many and responsi-
ble duties which have thus fallen upon his
shoulders.

Mr. Lemberger has been twice married,
(first) June 23, 1864, to Miss Annie A.
Ward, daughter of William Ward, of Belle-
fonte, Pennsylvania ; she died November
19, 1902. He married (second) November
23, 1904, Miss Mae Austin Fletcher, daugh-
ter of Leonard R. Fletcher, Esq., a promi-
nent Philadelphia lawyer.



MEILY, George Evans,

Manufactarer.

The Meilys and Oberholzers are old Leb-
anon county families, and John Meily, of
Lebanon, whose life will be here followed,
was a lineal descendant of John Meily
(1776-1844), who married a daughter of
Martin Oberholzer (1733-1815).

Martin Meily was born in Bethel town-
ship, Dauphin (now Lebanon) county,
Pennsylvania, in iSoi. He grew to man-
hood on his father's farm and was denied
all but the most meager school advantages.
After leaving the farm he learned the pot-
ter's trade. He was exceedingly ambitious
and pursued a course of home study that
placed him above his fellows and brought
him well earned distinction. He served as



justice of the peace ten years and for three
years as a commissioned notary public.
During this period of his life he studied the
law relating to land titles, and became a
recognized authority upon that subject. So
highly was he regarded that he was county
surveyor, an office to which he was elected
several times. Prior to the birth of his son
in 1826 he settled in Mechanicsburg, Cum-
berland county, Pennsylvania. He married,
in 1823, Magdalene, born 1798, daughter of
John Groh, and had issue.

Richard, son of Henry Meily, who was
also a descendant of John, mentioned above,
was associated with his brother John, as
junior partner, and with him established the
Lebanon Valley Furnace in 1867. They were
recognized as among the prominent iron
manufacturers of that day, and the business
they founded was for many years one of
Lebanon's leading industries. Richard Meily
was a fine business man and connected with
other Lebanon enterprises. He married, in
1868, Anna DeHuff, and resided at No. 38
North Ninth street, Lebanon. He died hon-
ored and respected, March 31, 1906.

George Evans, only son of Richard and
Anna (DeHuff) Meily, was born in Leb-
anon, at the Meily homestead, on North
Ninth street, which has ever been his home.
His only sister, Margaret, married Edwin
Gray Rust, and resides in Leesburg, Vir-
ginia.

His early and preparatory education was
obtained in the public schools of Lebanon,
his classical education at Lehigh Univer-
sity, whence he was graduated with the de-
gree of A. C, class of 1891. Returning to
Lebanon he was admitted to business with
his father and uncle in the Lebanon Valley
Furnace, continuing his father's valued as-
sistant until the latter's death, March 31,
1906. Since that date Mr. Meily has been
the active head of the business which for
forty-five years has been a distinctive Meily
enterprise. He is an energetic, capable man
of affairs, has loyally upheld the honorable
business standard established by the found-



983



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ers forty-five years ago. He has other busi-
ness interests, and is a Republican in politics
and a member of St. John's Reformed
Church.



MILLER, John Andrew,

Mannfacturer, Financier.

John A. Miller, whose active connection
w^ith numerous prominent and successful
enterprises marks him as a man of busi-
ness ability and integrity, makes his home
in Nazareth, where he is esteemed as a lead-
ing citizen, his public spirit in all matters
pertaining to the welfare of the community
at large serving to gain him the regard of
his fellow townsmen. Socially, as in his
business relations, he ranks high and his
career stands as an example of the success
to be won in life by energy combined with
talent.

The family is of German origin, the pio-
neer ancestor being John Miller, grand-
father of John A. Miller, whose birth oc-
curred in one of the Hessian provinces,
where he resided until the year 1852, when
he emigrated to the United States, locating
in Baltimore, Maryland, where he was a
prosperous merchant. He was a Lutheran
in religion, a Democrat in politics, and a
member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. He married Mary Ashburn, a
native of Germany, who bore him eight
children, among whom was Conrad, of
whom further. John Miller died in Blairs-
town. New Jersey.

Conrad Miller, father of John A. Miller,
was born in Germany, October 20, 1838.
He obtained a practical education under
private tutors in his native land, and when
fourteen years of age accompanied his par-
ents to the United States. His first employ-
ment was in a brewing establishment, his
remuneration being two dollars per month
and board. Later he devoted his attention
to merchandising in Baltimore, continuing
along this line for six years, and for the
following five years, during the Civil War



period, served as quartermaster in Washing-
ton, D. C, as an employee of the govern-
ment. He then turned his attention to rail-
road contract work, and was for two years
clerk and walking boss on the Metropolitan
branch of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad.
His next contract was on the Baltimore
Shore Line in Ohio, and later he built
twenty miles of the South Mountain road
near Harrisburg, continuing his work in
that line to Blairstown, New Jersey, and
he constructed the Blairstown railroad to
Delaware Station for J. I. Blair in 1876.
Two years later he built the Belvidere
Water Works, and in the same year con-
structed the Bangor and Portland railroad,
a distance of eight miles, and was then
elected its president and manager; in 1880
he continued its extension to Pen Argyl,
and in the following year the road was com-
pleted to Nazareth. In company with J. I.
Blair he invested to a large extent in the
slate quarries, and from 1890 to 1898 he
had charge of Mr. Blair's railroad and in-
dustrial interests in the West. His promi-
nence in various lines of business led to his
appointment to positions of trust and re-
sponsibility, and he served in the capacity
of president of the Bangor Union Quarry;
president and treasurer of the United States
Slate Quarry of Pen Argyl ; president and
treasurer of the Albion Slate Company;
president of the Wind Gap and Alpha slate
companies; president of the Kansas City,
Osceola and Southern railroad in Missouri ;
president of the Chicago, Iowa and Dakota
railroad; president of the Kansas City and
Westport Belt railroad ; president and owner
of the Illuminating Gas Company, Slate
Belt Telephone Company, Electric Light
Company, Foundry and Machine Company ;
president of the Dexter Portland Cement
Company; director of the Northampton
Cement Company, and of the Nazareth Na-
tional Bank ; and receiver for Jackson
Brothers Slate Quarry, the Pen Argyl Slate
Quarry, the Excelsior Slate Quarry, and the
Diamond Slate Quarry. Mr. Miller was a



984



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Presbyterian in religion, a Republican in
politics, and a member of Whitfield Lodge,
No. 121, Free and Accepted Alasons, of
Nazareth, Pennsylvania. He married, Au-
gust 31, 1869, Anna M., daughter of An-
drew Werling, of Muncy, Pennsylvania.
Children : John A., of whom further ; Sarah
Virginia, born March 25, 1874; Margaret
Anna, born June 27, 1876. He died March
29, 1912.

John A. Miller was born in Muncy, Ly-
coming county, Pennsylvania, September i,
1872. His education was acquired by at-
tendance at boarding school, Blair Hall,
New Jersey, and at Lafayette College, Eas-
ton, Pennsylvania, from which he was
graduated in the class of 1895. He then
went to Bangor, Pennsylvania, where he
was engaged in the railroad contracting
business until 1901, when he took up his
residence in Nazareth, where he has since
continued to reside. His business qualifica-
tions were soon recognized and appreciated,
he being chosen to fill the important posi-
tion of president of the Dexter Portland
Cement Company of Nazareth, Pennsyl-
vania ; the Clinchfield Portland Cement
Company of Kingsport, Tennessee ; the
Albion Slate Company of Bangor, Penn-
sylvania ; the Pen Bangor Slate Company
of Wind Gap, Pennsylvania ; the Nazareth
Foundry and Machine Company ; the Dex-
ter Concrete Manufacturing Company ; the
Alpha Slate Company ; and is director of
the Nazareth National Bank and the Atlan-
tic Gas and Electric Company. He is also
serving as chief burgess of Nazareth. He is
a member of Whitfield Lodge, No. 121, Free
and Accepted Masons, of Nazareth ; Cald-
well Consistory, of Bloomsburg, Pennsyl-
vania ; Rajah Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Reading,
Pennsylvania; and is a member of the
American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
He holds membership in the Pom fret Club
at Easton, the Northampton Country Club,
and is an attendant at the services of the



German Reformed church. He is a staunch
Republican in politics.

Mr. Miller married (first) Mary Alice
Cope, of Nazareth, daughter of Dr. Thomas
Cope, who bore him two children: Conrad
C. and Mary .A.lice. She died February 15,
1901. On May 28, 1904, he married (sec-
ond) Emily X. Moon, daughter of William
W. I\Ioon, of Easton, Pennsylvania. Child,
John .Andrew Jr.. born November 25, 1907.



SHICK, James Stewart,

Retired Business Man.

Among those industries which aid so ma-
terially in upholding the prosperity of the
country there is none of more importance
than that connected with the river inter-
ests, and that connected with furthering the
comfort of the traveling public and that
portion of it which, for some reason, is de-
pendent upon hotel accommodations. Among
those who have done work of exceptionally
good effect in both of these lines is James
Stewart Shick, of Freemansburg, North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania.

His father, Frederick Shick, was born in
Bethlehem township, Northampton county.
Pennsylvania, January 8, 1803, and was em-
ployed at the grist mill owned and operated
by the late John Knecht, of Shimersville.
A staunch supporter of Democratic princi-
ples, he was a man of influence in the com-
munity. He married, at Easton, Northamp-
ton county, Pennsylvania, in October, 1833,
Rebecca Ann Mellick, born in Warren
county. New Jersey. She was a daughter
of Jacob Mellick, born in Greenwich town-
ship, Warren county. New Jersey, Decem-
ber 23, 1789, died March 28. 1891, aged
ninety-two years. Jacob Mellick was a son
of Henry Mellick, born December 3, 1759.
died April 9, 1851, aged ninety-two years



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 58)