Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 49 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 49 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


became the parents of one son : Samuel,
born June 18, 1876, married Katherine Mor-
gan, of Brazil, Indiana ; children : Margaret
and Clara. Mrs. Plumer died January 24,
1890, and Mr. Plumer married (second)
June 5, 1894, Caroline, daughter of Robert
Charles and Mary Eliza (McKenna)
Schmertz. Mr. Schmertz, who died May
16, 1888, was a representative of an ancient
German family and one of Pittsburgh's
most prominent glass manufacturers, finan-
ciers and business men, having been one of
the founders of the Pittsburgh Bank for
010



i




M. n



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Savings. Mrs. Plumer, who died December
3, 1910, was one of the best known club
women and charitable workers of Pitts-
burgh, taking a special interest in the work
of the Children's Hospital, of which insti-
tution her parents had been ardent sup-
porters. She was one of the originators of
the movement which resulted in the build-
ing of the Pittsburgh Hospital, and for a
time served as president of its board of
managers. Mrs. Plumer was a charter mem-
ber of the Twentieth Century and Tuesday
Musical clubs, and was also identified with
many other organizations of women. Mr.
Plumer married (third) in Franklin, Penn-
sylvania, June 12, 1912, Margaret (Ander-
son) Bryden, daughter of Thomas and
Marguerite Anderson, of Franklin, Penn-
sylvania.

To the distinguished name that he in-
herits, Mr. Plumer has added the lustre of
unstained achievement and high personal
character. His record as a lawyer and man
of afifairs most worthily forms part of the
annals of a family whose history, from gen-
eration to generation, has been a story of
honor.



PLUMER, Arnold A.,

Soldier, Financier.

Arnold A. Plumer, second son of Hon.
Arnold and Margaret (McClelland) Plumer,
was born March 25, 1839. He was educated
in the Franklin Academy and in Jefferson
College, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, now
Washington and Jefferson College. When
the Civil War broke out, he yielded to the
patriotic fervor that was instinctively his by
inheritance from a sterling Revolutionary
ancestry, and on October 14, 1861, enlisted
in Company H, Fourth Pennsylvania Cal-
vary, under Captain James H. Pennell.
Soon after entering the service he received
a commission as first lieutenant and bat-
talion adjutant. In July, 1862, when the
cavalry was reorganized, the battalion ad-
jutants were mustered out, but Lieutenant



Plumer remained with the regiment for
three months thereafter. On October 17,
1862, he commanded Company H at the
battle of Antietam, although he had been
mustered out three months prior to that
battle.

Shortly after the battle of .\ntietam, Lieu-
tenant Plumer returned to Franklin and
from 1865 to 1885 was engaged in the iiard-
ware business with his cousin, G. W.
Plumer. At all times until the beginning
of his invalidism, he was active in business
and was an influential factor in promoting
the material and social welfare of the com-
munity. For years he was prominently
connected with the direction of the First
National Bank of Franklin and of the First
National Bank of Oil City, and identified
with other financial and industrial enter-
prises. Clear-headed, open-handed and
broad-minded, he commanded the respect
and confidence of all who were associated
with him in business affairs. As a logical
sequence of his character and business
capacities, he greatly expanded his large
patrimony until he came to be considered
one of the wealthiest men of the locality
with which he was identified.

From early manhood Mr. Plumer took
an active interest in politics, in the better
sense of the term. He was a sincere advo-
cate of the principles of the Democratic
party, and did much to promote its welfare
and success. His wise and safe counsel
was widely sought by the leaders of the
party. He could never be persuaded to take
office, though such was his popularity that
he could easily have secured preferment and
official honors. He had no inclination to
the modern game of politics. In his partici-
pation in politics, as in all the afi'airs of his
life, he evinced a firmness of principle and
courage that never turned its back on a
friend or foe. His true place was in the
arena of the better order of politics, in which
his distinguished father had shone so con-
spicuously and honorably.

He was a member of Major William B.



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Mays Post, No. 220, Department of Penn-
sylvania, Grand Army of the Republic, and
of the Military Order, Loyal Legion of the
United States. He was also a member of
Myrtle Lodge, No. 316, Free and Accepted
Masons, and of Franklin Commandery, No.
44, Knights Templar, and was for many
years a member of the Duquesne Club, one
of the leading social organizations of the
country. He was an adherent and generous
supporter of the Episcopal church. He died
September 20, 1904.

He married, December 28, 1865, Rachel
L. Smith, daughter of Daniel and Hannah
Smith, of L'niontown, Pennsylvania. She
died September 6, 1901.



PLUMER, Henry B.,

XitktryeT, Congressman, Government Official.

There are men whose memories are al-
ways green in the minds of those who knew
them; whose personalities are so vivid that
the recollection of them is fadeless ; men
of whom we cannot say, "They are dead,"
because their life still throbs in the hearts
that loved them. To this class of men be-
longed Henry Baldwin Plumer, for many
years prominent in legal and political circles
of Pennsylvania.

Henry Baldwin Plumer, son of Arnold
and Margaret (McClelland) Plumer, was
born in Franklin, Venango county, Pennsyl-
vania, September 25, 1841. He received a
substantial education and his boyhood was
spent under the direction of his distinguish-
ed father, and his mental and moral char-
acteristics were shaped in the way that
afterward made him distinguished. He was
particularly taught to revere those princi-
ples of life and morals which had won for
his father the confidence and respect of all
who had business or professional relations
with him. He studied in the University of
Pennsylvania, being a member of the class
of 1862, and was graduated from the Har-
vard Law School in 1863. He was admitted
to the bar in Boston in 1863 and subse-



quently to practice at the bar of Fayette
county, Pennsylvania, before the Supreme
Court of Pennsylvania, and at the bar of
Philadelphia. He began practice in the
office of his brother-in-law. Judge Samuel
Gilmore, of Uniontown, and later removed
to Franklin, Venango county, where he
practiced with his brother, Samuel Plumer.
In the practice of his profession, Mr. Plumer
held an enviable reputation for his legal
knowledge and skill and for his eloquence
in presenting cases to the court. He looked
with disdain upon any one whose standard
was, first, success, no matter what the
means. He threw himself with all the zeal
of his nature and with all of his great learn-
ing into the cause of his client. He was am-
bitious for success, but he never wished it
at the price of his honor. He belonged to
that class of lawyers who look upon the pro-
fession of the law as an order of govern-
ment, and that whether in office or out of it,
he who measured up to his full height should
give public service. As a lawyer he stood
as an example and exemplification of what
a lawyer's life and attitude should be, not
merely to the bar, not merely to his clients,
but more important still, to his country at
large and to th.e community in which he
lives.

Developing a deep interest in public
affairs, he became a leader of Democratic
thought in Venango county at a very early
age, but office holding had little allurement
for him. In 1881, without his consent, his
name was brought forward as a candidate
for the Democratic nomination for State
Treasurer, and his friends and supporters
made a strong campaign for him, although
he did not receive the nomination. In the
following year, however, he was nominated
for Congress in the Twenty-sixth district
of Pennsylvania, composed of the counties
of Venango, Erie and Warren. Although
the district was strongly Republican, he re-
duced the normal majority very largely, and
some sections, notably his own county, he
carried by a handsome majority. When
012




e^in/~ty^/ ^'cy, <l



7



a



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Robert E. Pattison was inaugurated as Gov-
ernor of Pennsylvania, Mr. Plumer was ap-
pointed aide-de-camp. During the first ad-
ministration of President Cleveland he was
appointed Naval Officer of the Port of Phil-
adelphia. At the time he received this ap-
pointment he moved to Philadelphia and
made his home in Germantown. As naval
officer he proved a faithful and competent
official, conducting the business of the office
to the entire satisfaction of the Treasury
Department in Washington, as well as to
those who transacted business with the Port
of Philadelphia.

Mr. Plumer was a delightful host, and
was a most effective conversationalist, hav-
ing accumulated a rich store of information
and having kept in close touch with the
events of the day and with prominent men
of all professions and callings. He was a
liberal giver to charity, and took a great
interest in young men in whom he recog-
nized ambition and ability. He united with
an unusual professional expertness a charm
of manner, a buoyant optimism and a capac-
ity for enduring friendship that will surely
keep his memory green in the hearts of all
who knew him best.

Mr. Plumer married, November 4, 1866,
Marilla P., daughter of William and Phy-
lanca (Tracy) Davenport, of Erie, Penn-
sylvania (see Davenport line). By this
marriage Mr. Plumer gained the life com-
panionship of a charming and congenial
woman, one fitted in all ways to be his help-
mate. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Plumer:

I. Henry Adams Plumer, born December

II, 1867; married Edith Rankin, daughter
of David Rankin, of Allegheny. He was
educated in Berkley School, New York City,
and in the Sheffield Scientific School of
Yale University. 2. Fanny Galbraith
Plumer; married, in June, 1898, John Dex-
ter Mcllhenny; issue: John Dexter Mc-
Ilhenny Jr., born in April, 1899; Frances
Plumer Mcllhenny, died aged three years;
Bernice M. Mcllhenny ; Henry Plumer Mc-
llhenny. 3. Elvira Gilmore Plumer. 4.



Margaret Plumer, married Carl Augustus
Zeigler, of Philadelphia; issue: Marilla
Davenport Zeigler, Margaret Plumer Zeig-
ler. 5. Davenport Plumer, born October 12,
1879. He was educated in the Penn Char-
ter School and then studied abroad. He
was graduated from the Law School of
Pennsylvania University in 1902, and began
the practice of his profession with Owen J.
Roberts. Subsequently he was independ-
ently engaged in law pursuits. He married,
January 25, 1905, Carolyn Eugenia Ilcber-
ton, daughter of Rev. Edward Paysay and
Caroline (Vogdes) Heberton ; issue: Daven-
port, Jr., born November 18, 1906; Caro-
line Heberton Plumer.

In the prime of life and in the full ma-
turity of all his powers, this gifted and lov-
able man was removed from the scene of
his activities. On December 10, 1903, he
passed away, leaving to those who knew
him the inspiration of a noble memory.
Honorable in purpose, fearless in conduct,
he stood for many years as one of the most
eminent and valued sons of Pennsylvania,
and one of the brightest ornaments of her
bar. .Actuated both in public and private
life by the highest motives and the loftiest
principles, he irradiated the ever-widening
circle of his influence with the brightness
of spirit that expressed the pure gold of
character.

The story of the life of Henry Baldwin
Plumer is a story of honor. As lawyer and
citizen he served ably and faithfully his day
and generation. His record enriches the
legal annals of his State and adds new lustre
to an ancient name.

(The Davenport Line).

Davenport township is in Chester county.
England, about twenty-five miles from the
ancient city of Chester. There the Daven-
port family had its origin, and there its dc-
.scent in uninterrupted male line goes back
to the time of the Norman conquest. The
heraldic bearings of the family are : Arms :
.-\rgent, a chevron sable between three cross-



1013



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



crosslets fitchee of the second. Crest: On
a wreath a felon's head couped at the neck
proper, haltered or. Motto : Audaccs for-
tuna juvat.

Ormus de Dauneporte, born in 1086, as-
sumed the local name of the township in
which he lived. His son, Richard de
Dauneporte, was born in 1136; he was chief
forester about 11 66; he married, about
1 176, Amabilia Venables, daughter of Gil-
bert Venables, Baron of Kinderton. Thomas
de Davenporte, son of Richard and Ama-
bilia (Venables) de Dauneporte, was living
before 1189. Richard de Davenporte, son
of Thomas de Davenporte, was living be-
tween 1209 and 1226. Vivian de Daven-
porte, son of Richard de Davenporte, re-
ceived by charter the grand sergeancy of
the forests of Leek and Macclesfield be-
tween 1209 and 1226. He married Beatrix
de Hulme, daughter of Bertrand de Hulme.
Roger de Davenport, son of Vivian and
Beatrix (de Hulme) de Davenporte, held a
sergeancy in the Hundred of Macclesfield
in 1288. He died in 1291. He married
Mary Salemon, daughter of Robert Sale-
mon, of Wythington. Sir Thomas Daven-
port, second son of Roger and Mary (Sale-
mon) de Davenport, died in 1320. He mar-
ried (first) Agnes de Macclesfield, daugh-
ter of Thomas de Macclesfield, by whom he
had issue. Thomas Davenport, son of the
preceding, was the ancestor of the Daven-
ports of Wheltrough. His widow, Eliza-
beth, was living in 1399. Sir John Daven-
port, son of the preceding, was a justice of
Lancastershire in 1384. He married Eliza-
beth Legh, daughter and co-heiress of Peter
Legh, of Betcherton. Thomas Davenport,
second son of John and Elizabeth (Legh)
Davenport, was the ancestor of the Daven-
ports of Henbury. He married Margaret
Venables, daughter of Hugh Venables, and
she survived him. Hugh Davenport, son
of Thomas and Margaret (Venables)
Davenport, died in 1418. He married (first)
Ellen Massey, daughter of William Massey,
and she was the mother of his issue.



Thomas Davenport, son of Hugh and Ellen
(Massey) Davenport, married Margery
Mainwaring, daughter of Randle Mainwar-
ing, of Corincham. Richard Davenport,
fourth son of Thomas and Margery (Main-
waring) Davenport, removed to the county
of Northampton, and afterward settled in
Coventry, about 15 10. He married a Ven-
ables. Edward Davenport, eldest son of
the preceding, was a prominent citizen of
Coventry. He was chamberlain of the city
in 1534, sheriff in 1540, and mayor in 1550.
He married a daughter of John Harford,
alderman of Coventry. Henry Davenport,
eldest son of the preceding, was sheriff of
Coventry in 1602 and succeeded his younger
brother, Christopher Davenport, as mayor
of the city in 1613. He married (first)
Winifred Barnabit, daughter of Richard
Barnabit, and she was the mother of his
children.

John Davenport, fifth son of Henry and
Winifred (Barnabit) Davenport, was born
in Coventry, Warwickshire, England, in
1597, being baptized April 9, of that year.
His early education was acquired as a stu-
dent in the Free Grammar School of Coven-
try and then he studied in Oxford Univer-
sity for three years. He began preaching
as a private chaplain in Hilton Chapel, near
Durham, in November, 161 5, and continued
there until 1619. In the latter year he be-
came curate of St. Lawrence Jewry, Lon-
don, Cheapside, where he remained five
years, at the end of which time he became
vicar of St. Stephen's, Coleman street. Sub-
jected to the persecution of Archbishop
Laud, he resigned from St. Stephen's in
1633 and went to Holland, where he preach-
ed to the Presbyterian church for several
years, returning to London near the close
of 1636, or the beginning of 1637. Early
interested in the Massachusetts Colony, he
came to America with Rev. Theophilus
Eaton on the ship "Hector," landing in Bos-
ton in June, 1637. With Eaton and other
Puritans, he went to Quinnipiac, or New
Haven, in April, 1638. He was pastor of



1014





T ' /^y^^^/i^^c^^^



^^^^^(^^x^^ii^CT; ' .C7in>t.^i><>^ o^^.^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



the First Church of New Haven, and helped
found the Hopkins Grammar School in New
Haven, which ultimately became Yale Col-
lege. In 1668 he removed to Boston and
became pastor of the First Church of that
city, being installed in December of that
year. He died March 15, 1670, in the sev-
enty-third year of his age. He married, in
England, Elizabeth VVoolIey. She died Sep-
tember 15, 1676, aged seventy-three years,
and was buried in the King's Chapel burial
grounds, Boston.

John Davenport, only son of John and
Elizabeth (Woolley) Davenport, was born
in 1635, probably in London. When his
parents came to America in 1637, he was
left in London in the care of friends of the
family, but was brought to the New Haven
Colony in 1639. He was a freeman of New
Haven in 1657, and in 1668 removed to
Boston, where he was a freeman in 1669.
He was register of probate from January,
1675, to August, 1676, and after that was
engaged in mercantile pursuits. He died
March 21, 1677. He married Abigail Pier-
son, daughter of the Rev. Abraham Pierson,
of Branford, Connecticut. She died in New
Haven, July 20, 1718.

John Davenport, son of John and Abigail
(Pierson) Davenport, was born in Boston,
February 22, 1668. Graduated from Har-
vard College in 1687, he began preaching in
1690, and became a pastor of the church of
Stamford, Connecticut, in 1694, where he
remained until the end of his life. He died
in Stamford, February 5, 1731. He mar-
ried, April 18, 1695, Martha (Gould) Sel-
leck. She died December i, 1712, and he
married (second) Elizabeth (Morris) Malt-
by, who died January 11, 1758.

Deodate Davenport, son of John and
Martha (Gould-Selleck) Davenport, was
born in Stamford, October 23, 1706. He
married, in 1730, Lydia Woodward, daugh-
ter of the Rev. John Woodward. He died
December 3, 1761.

Samuel Davenport, son of Deodate and
Lydia (Woodward) Davenport, was born



in East Haven, Connecticut, in 1740, and
died July 9, 1810. He married, in 1766,
Mary Street, who died December 21, 1803,
aged sixty-six years.

Roswell Davenport, son of Samuel and
Mary (Street) Davenport, was born in East
Haven, vXpril 28, 1768. He removed to
Erie, Pennsylvania, and died there in 1852.
He married, in 1793, Esther Heminway,
who died in 1839.

William Davenport, son of Roswell and
Esther (Heminway) Davenport, was born
in New Haven, Connecticut, November 28,
1796, and died June 17, 1865. He married,
October 16, 1823, Phylanca Tracy.

Marilla P. Davenport, youngest child of
William and Phylanca (Tracy) Davenport,
was born June 12, 1842. She married, No-
vember 4, 1866, Henry Baldwin Plumer,
above.



HUNSICKER, James F.,

Prominent Merchant, Financier.

James Franklin Hunsicker is a notable
and representative scion of a family, whose
American ancestry dates back a full two
hundred years. He was born at Switzer,
Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, on the 7th of
November, 1852, second child of Owen and
Sarah Hunsicker, who were descended re-
spectively from Daniel Hunsicker and Jacob
Bittner. Four other children rounded out
the family group in Mr. Hunsickcr's pa-
ternal home: Henry W. Hunsicker, the first
born, married Ida A. Grim, and became the
father of five children: Walter O. ; Hessa
G. ; Jessie ; Rhoda, and George. Francis P.
Hunsicker married Ellen J. Clauser, and
has three children: Katie, wife of Joseph
Knaus; Florence C, wife of Clinton Berk;
and Mamie, wife of J. Hiram Schwartz.

Mary .-Mice Hunsicker was the only girl
in the enlarging circle of boys. She became
the wife of George Koch, and the mother of
five children: Harry, husband of Carrie E
Miller; Lula, wife of Ambrose Kunkel;
Mazie, Sallie, and Sadie. Owen S. Hun-



lois



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



sicker married Nellie White, and has three
children: Harry, husband of Maggie Ott;
Frederick, husband of Florence Albright;
and Esther. Owen S., the youngest brother
of James, the first and so far the only one
of the circle to depart this life, died March
12, 1911.

Three distinct periods mark the career of
James F. Hunsicker — a time of preparation
in the beautiful country region of Lehigh
county, a time of struggle in various sec-
tions, and a time of success in the thriving
city of Allentown, Pennsylvania. He spent
his early life in his native rural community,
where hard toil and frugal ways of living
toughened his physical fibre and engendered
lifelong habits of industry and thrift. He
became deeply imbued with high moral
ideals in the religious atmosphere that per-
vaded the humble home, and through the
nurture of the church. He acquired an ele-
mentary education in the public schools at
Pleasant Corner and at Schnecksville. His
scholastic career was cut short by the exi-
gencies of life, but he took with him from
school into the struggle of existence a mind,
naturally alert, that had become imbued with
a thirst of knowledge and with a love of
books. In after years these traits of char-
acter proved a means of supplying that edu-
cational equipment which a lack of oppor-
tunity had denied him in his youth. At the
age of thirteen, the first period of his life
ended. Christian parents, a humble home
and rural life, with all its physical and
moral benefits, had been the formative ele-
ments during these plastic years of prepara-
tion. Then came the period of struggle,
which figures so prominently in the lives of
American men of affairs who have achieved
success. For a few years the young coun-
try lad, intrepid but inexperienced, drifted
on the broad ocean of life without having
a definite goal. He was testing his powers
and finding his natural bent. During this
interval various transient occupations held
his interest in Catasauqua, Philadelphia, and
Lehigh county, among others the survey of



the Ironton & Steinsville railroad, under
the direction of Colonel S. D. Lehr, C. E.
Afterwards he continued to accumulate val-
uable experience and to develop his native
business sagacity in diverse subordinate
positions, as an employee in the general
store of his uncle, Joseph Kressley, in Allen-
town ; in the company store of the Allen-
town Iron Company ; and finally in the dry
goods establishment of A. A. Huber. Thus
within the brief space of five years, at the
age of eighteen, the subject of this sketch
had found himself.

From field and farm, and from desultory
occupations, he had followed the bent of his
natural endowments, which led him into
the commercial arena as his proper sphere.
And then began the third period of his
career which bears the superscription "Suc-
cess" written there, not by the hand of
capricious fortune but by dint of unremit-
ting toil and untarnished integrity. That
final period dates from the year 1870, when
James F. Hunsicker formed a partnership
with his brother, Henry W., and founded a
general store under the firm name of Hun-
sicker Brothers, at Seventh and Chew
streets, Allentown, Pennsylvania. Two
years later, when their uncle, Elias Bittner,
joined the partnership, that name was
changed to Bittner & Hunsicker Brothers.
Another change occurred in 18S0, when
Frank D. Bittner, a son of Elias Bittner, also
became one of the partners. The firm traded
under the name of Bittner, Hunsicker &
Company until 1886, when their growing
volume of business necessitated a radical
change. In that year the original partner-
ship was dissolved. Henry W. Hunsicker
took the retail dry goods department, while
James F. Hunsicker, together with Elias
and Frank D. Bittner, decided to devote
themselves exclusively to the wholesale ■
branch of the business. ■

This new venture, trading under the name

of Bittner, Hunsicker & Company, was a

success from the very beginning. Soon it

outgrew its modest cradle on Hamilton

016



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



street, and became domiciled in a three-
story building on North Seventh street. In
December, 1902, fire destroyed this struc-
ture completely, with all its contents, liut
even that disaster did not cripple, much less
destroy, this flourishing enterprise. A new
building rose out of the ashes of the old —
larger and better than its predecessor. That
handsome five-story structure stands to-day
as one of the solid pillars of the commercial
prestige of the city of Allentown. It har-
bors a volume of merchandise second to
none outside of metropolitan centers of



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 49 of 58)