Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 5 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 5 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


special biological work, in New York City.
From 1896 to 1901 he was engaged in clin-
ical work at the Vanderbilt Clinic, and the
Presbyterian Hospital Clinic ; was appointed
bacteriologist of the New York City De-
partment of Health in 1901 ; and in 1906
was made assistant chief of the Division
of Communicable Diseases, and chief of
Tuberculosis Clinics. In 1908 he was ap-
pointed lecturer of the New York State De-
partment of Health, and made clinical as-
sistant and instructor in the Department of
Phthiso-Therapy, at the Post-Graduate
Hospital, New York. In 1913, following
the reorganization of the Department of
Health by bureaus, was made chief of the
Tuberculosis Division of the Bureau of
Infectious Diseases for New York City.
He is a member of the American Medical
.Association, of the National Association for
the Prevention of Tuberculosis, and of the
Harvey Society, also of the New York State
Medical Society, and of the New York
County Medical Society ; member of the
Princeton and the University clubs of New
York City.

He married Jessica Howard Buck, daugh-
ter of Jerome and Kate (McGrath) Buck,
September 4, 1906. at St. Ignatius Church,
New York City. She was born November
17, 1877, in Lexington, Kentucky, and is
descended from Kate McGrath, of Mc-
Grathiana, near Lexington.



SEIBERT, William A.,

Physician, Prominent in Public Instlta-
tions.

Dr. William A. Seibert, one of the most
prominent and most skillful physicians of
Easton, a man respected and loved by all
who know him, is a worthy representative
of a large and influential family that has
long been located in the State of Pennsyl-



7}:i



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



vania, performing well their part in the
various communities in which they have
made their homes.

Dr. William A. Seibert, son of Owen and
Matilda (Miller) Seibert, was born Feb-
ruary lo, 1859. After attending the public
schools of Easton, he prepared for college
at Stevens Institute, from which he was
graduated in 1876, and at Trach's (Easton)
Academy, whose course he completed in
1878. In 1882 he was graduated from La-
fayette College with first honor and the de-
gree of Bachelor of Arts. The same insti-
tution later also honored him with the de-
gree of Master of Arts. He received his
medical training at Boston University, from
which he was graduated in 1885 with first
honor and the degree of Doctor of Med-
icine. After serving as house surgeon of
the Massachusetts Homoeopathic Hospital,
Boston, in which position he obtained the
extended experience that has proved so
helpful a factor in the success of his sub-
sequent career, he located in Easton, Penn-
sylvania, where he is now engaged in the
active practice of his profession. His skill
and ability in the diagnosis and the treat-
ment of disease, and his comprehensive
knowledge of the various departments of
his chosen profession, have gained him the
good will and the confidence of his fellow
practitioners and a very liberal patronage
from the public. In addition to his ex-
tensive practice, he is a member, by appoint-
ment of the Governor of Pennsylvania, of
the board of trustees of the Pennsylvania
State Hospital for the Insane, at Allentown,
a member of the advisory board of Hahne-
mann Medical College and Hospital of
Philadelphia, and a member of the consult-
ing stafT of the State Hospital at Allen-
town and of the Public Hospital of Easton.
He is the author of many monographs and
papers which have been read before various
societies and published in numerous maga-
zines. Dr. Seibert is furthermore a member
of the American Institute of Homeopathy ;
of the Pennsylvania State Homeopathic



Medical Society, of which he was president
in 1905 ; of the Leliigh Valley Homeopathic
Medical Society, of which he is an ex-pres-
ident; of the Lehigh Yalley Medical Club;
and an honorary associate member of the
New Jersey State Homeopathic Medical
Society, as well as honorary member of
various local and county societies. He is
also a member of the Pennsylvania-German
Society, the Historical Society of North-
ampton County, the Northampton County
Country Club, and the Pomfret Club of
Easton. In his college affiliations he is a
member of the Phi Beta Kappa fraternity,
and a member of the board of trustees of
the Delta Tau fraternity at Lafayette Col-



DILTHEY, William Jacob,

Architect, Man of Affairs.

Germany has furnished the L^nited States
of America with many citizens whose de-
scendants have become distinguished as
artisans, tradesmen, and in the professions.
Charles Frederick (or August) Dilthey
came to this country in an old-time sailing
vessel, and left descendants who have since
distinguished and honored the name. He
was born near Berlin, in the Kingdom of
Prussia, about 1838, and died in 1901, near
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He served his
allotted time in the Prussian army before
coming to America. His early ancestors
were Scotch. He learned the trade of up-
holsterer and harnessmaker in the army, and
followed the trade of upholsterer and dec-
orator in Philadelphia. He finally settled
on a farm near Three Tuns, Montgomery
county, Pennsylvania, where he lived during
the latter years of his life. He married
Elizabeth Helen Hess, who came to Amer-
ica from Germany in early life with her
brothers.

William Jacob Dilthey, son of Charles
Frederick (or August) and Elizabeth Helen
(Hess) Dilthey, was born February 17,
1867, at Three Tuns, Upper Dublin town-



-38



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



ship, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania,
about seventeen miles north of Philadelphia,
in a log cabin there standing and which
dated back to Revolutionary days of "76."
He received elementary instruction in the
public schools of his native village, then at-
tended the Central High School of Phila-
delphia. He studied architecture for two
years at the Spring Garden Institute of
Philadelphia. While taking this course he
studied at night and worked at the trade of
builder by day, in order to pay expenses,
and at the same time secure a practical
training for his chosen vocation. In 1892
he came to New York City and secured em-
ployment as draftsman in the office of Rich-
ard M. Hunt, an architect. He was also
employed in the office of De Lemos &
Cordes, architects and engineers, and while
thus employed assisted in the preparation
of plans for the Vanderbilt Mansion on the
Biltmore estate, near Asheville, North Caro-
lina, and on both the Astor and Vanderbilt
mansions of New York City, and was also
with C. H. Gilbert, Van Campen Taylor,
arcliitects, in New York City.

In 1896 he opened an office and began
his professional career under his own name,
with an office at No. 1-3 Union Square
West, New York City, and has achieved
considerable success in his vocation. He
designed and supervised the construction
of a fourteen-story mercantile building at
Nos. 547-555 Broadway, New York City,
for Charles Broadway Rouss, in 1900, and
in 1907-08 a fifteen-story mercantile build-
ing at Nos. 123-125 Mercer street, New
York City, for Peter Winchester Rouss.
He planned and remodelled a residence for
William Floyd Jones, at Massapequa, Long
Island, New York ; designed and erected
one for F. Taylor Pusey, at Lansdowne,
Delaware county, Pennsylvania ; and a fine
mansion for Peter Winchester Rouss, in
the Prospect Park section of Brooklyn, New
York. A few years ago he planned the de-
sign upon which the historical old Lutheran
Church at Upper Dublin, Pennsylvania, was



rebuilt ; he designed the plans and dec-
orations for the Epiphany Church, of Ster-
ling Place, Brooklyn, New York; the St.
Mark's Church, at Jamaica, Long Island ; the
Church of the Advent, in Flatbush, Long
Island ; the Church of the Good Shepherd,
at South Ozone Park, Long Island ; and has
just completed the enlargement and re-
modelling of St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal
Church, at Oyster Bay, Long Island.

Mr. Dilthey is a Republican in politics ;
has twice been nominated for assemblyman
in the Second Assembly District of Brook-
lyn by the Republicans, and endorsed by the
Citizens Union, an independent organiza-
tion, and while he has not been elected to
office he has been instrumental in securing
improved political conditions in his district.
He was a member of the Upper Dublin
Lutheran Church in Pennsylvania at his old
home, and a communicant of St. Matthew's
Lutheran and Calvary Church in Brooklyn.
He is a member of the Central Branch
Young Men's Christian Association, also
president of the Central Branch Young
Men's Christian Association Literary So-
ciety, and was president of the Franklin
Literary Society. He has traveled exten-
sively in the south and west, and has made
several trips to the mining regions of the
south-west. He is president of the Arizona
Copper Belt Mining Company, of Yavapai
county, Arizona, a mining property that
consists of three hundred acres of mineral
lands in copper, gold and silver, which is
under development. He is a member of the
American Institute of Architects, Brooklyn
Chapter; the Taxpayers Association of New
York City, and the Young Republican Club
of Brooklyn, New York, and is active in
civic and public improvements for the com-
mon welfare.



LICHLITER, Marcellus Deaves,
CleTfsyman, Litteratear.

Marcellus Deaves Lichliter, educator,
minister, author and lecturer, is descended



739



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



from good ancestral stock — German, Eng-
lish and Scotch-Irish — grafted into New
England Puritan stock. The name has been
variously rendered: Lechleiter, Leichleider,
Leichliter and Lichliter. It is composed of
two German words — licht, meaning light,
and leiter, meaning bearer or leader.
Johann Conrad Lechleiter, of Bremen, Ger-
many, was the founder of the Lichliter
family in America. He took passage from
Rotterdam, October 21, 1741, in the ship
"Friendship," Alexander Thomas, master,
and settled in Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
from whence several branches migrated,
settling in Maryland, Virginia, Georgia,
Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri.

Jacob Lichliter, grandfather of this Mr.
Lichliter, married a woman of Scotch-Irish
descent, whose ancestors had distinguished
themselves at the Battle of the Boyne.
Among their nineteen children the third was
Levi, who was one of the pioneer farmers
of his section, an educator and a minister.
He married Catherine Younkin, whose an-
cestors, having supported Cromwell, were
obligated to flee to this country to escape
religious persecution, and found a home
among the hills of New England.

MarceUus Deaves Lichliter, second son of
Levi and Catherine (Younkin) Lichliter,
was born on a farm near New Lexington,
Somerset county, Pennsylvania, April 10,
1849. He attended the public and normal
schools, and completed his education at
Mount Union College, AlHance, Ohio. For
several years he was engaged in teaching
in the public schools, entering the ministry
of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1872,
in the Pittsburgh Annual Conference, and
served for a period of twenty-eight years.
Impaired health obliged him to retire from
active ministerial service in 1900. During
his effective service in the conference, he
was statistician of that body for ten years.
Since his retirement from the ministry he
has filled the position of chief clerk in the
Department of Agriculture of Pennsyl-
vania, having been appointed to this office



by Governor William A. Stone, and re-
tained in office by all the governors of the
State up to the present time. From his
early manhood Mr. Lichliter was an en-
thusiastic Republican, and has always been
an active worker in the interests of that
party.

Mr. Lichliter has been prominently ident-
ified with many fraternal organizations, and
to some he has given much time and service.
The first organization with which he became
identified was the Independent Order of
Good Templars, in 1869, and so inspired
did he become by its teachings, that he has
been an unrelenting foe of intoxicants and
active in every temperance movement in the
country. He united with the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, of which he is a past
grand, and a member of the grand lodge,
and he has lectured frequently in the in-
terest of the order. He is a very active
member of the Masonic fraternity, past
master of Masons, eminent commander of
Knights Templar (1914) and is a member
of the grand lodge, and grand commandery,
respectively, of each. He has attained to
the thirty-second degree in the Ancient Ac-
cepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry.

It is, however, as a member and officer
of the Junior Order of United American
Mechanics that Mr. Lichliter has been
especially conspicuous and active. He was
the first clergyman in his locality to rec-
ognize the noble and lofty principles taught
by this patriotic organization, and became
an enthusiastic member, ever ready with
voice and pen to advance the objects of the
order. As a lecturer his services were in
great demand, and he has been called into
many States to address public meetings and
to present flags and Bibles. Since his con-
nection with the organization he has pre-
sented to the public schools fifty Bibles and
more than four hundred flags. He was
elected state councilor of the State Council
of Pennsylvania, Junior Order United
American Mechanics, in 1896; became a
member of the National Council in 1898;



740



ExNCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



served as chairman of the national legisla-
tive committee for two years ; was elected
national chaplain in 1901, and has been re-
elected at each session of the body up to the
present time. Mr. Lichliter has written
four rituals for the order ; addressed twice
the Congressional Committee on Immigra-
tion in support of a restrictive measure on
the subject of immigration; and in num-
erous other ways has worked for the pass-
age of legislation affecting the public
schools.

Mr. Lichliter is prominent in the field of
literature as author and historian. For
thirty years he has been a press corre-
spondent of '"The American" and other
journals, his contributions including the
following : Compulsory Education ; Sec-
tarian Appropriations ; The Bible in the
Public .Schools ; Suitors of Columbia ; The
Junior Order of United American Mechan-
ics and Its Achievements ; The Perils of
Columbia; The New Face at the Door;
Patriotism in the Southland ; Washington,
General, Statesman and Man ; The Magna
Charta of American Liberty and Its Sign-
ers ; Our Cherished Traditions ; The Pub-
lic School System of Education ; The
Junior Order United American Mechanics
and What It Stands For ; Through the Mid-
night to the Morn of Freedom — Valley
Forge ; A Symposium on the American Flag ;
Betsey Ross and the First Flag; The His-
tory of the Flag; The Flag and the Public
Schools ; and The Flag and What Is Stands
For.

He is a member of the following named
historical associations : Western Pennsyl-
vania Historical Society; National Geogra-
phic Society of Washington, District of
Columbia; Pennsylvania Federation of
Historical Societies, of which he is the first
vice-president, and will in 191 5 become
president. Among the historical mono-
graphs of which he is the author are the
following: The Mound Builders, Massey
Harbison, The Seven Guardian Angels of
Columbia, General Henry Boquet, General



Arthur St. Clair — A Nation's Ingratitude,
Pioneer Life, Indian Chiefs of Western
Pennsylvania, The Forts of Pittsburgh, The
Battle of Monongahela, The First Settle-
ments of Western Pennsylvania, The Crog-
hans, Robert Fulton, Washington's First
Battle — its Reflex Influence — Fort Neces-
sity, Captain Sam Brady and His E.xploits,
Hannastown — First Seat of Justice of
Westmoreland County, The Battle of Bushy
Run^ — its Reflex Influence, and others. He
is also the author of two publications:
History of the Junior Order of United
American Mechanics and James Jackson
Mcllyar — and Autobiography, and has in
manuscript a comprehensive history relating
to Western Pennsylvania, entitled "Foot-
prints of Patriots and Landmarks of West-
ern Penn.sylvania," which covers the period
from the first coming of the white man until
the opening of the nineteenth century. He
anticipates the compilation of a similar
volume relating to Eastern and Central
Pennsylvania.

Mr. Lichliter married, June 22, 1876,
Mary Florence, a daughter of the Rev.
James Jackson and Alice (Morris) Mc-
llyar, of Butler, Pennsylvania. Children :
I. Mcllyar Hamilton, who was graduated
from the public schools, spent a short time
in an academic course at Duquesne College,
Pittsburgh, then two academic and three
college years at Ohio Wesleyan University,
Delaware. Ohio, and was graduated from
the DePauw University, Greencastle, In-
diana, in 19CX), with the degree of Bachelor
of Arts. The last named university con-
ferred the degree of Master of Arts upon
him in 1903. He entered the ministry of
the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1900,
and has served in important charges in
Pennsylvania, New York and Missouri.
At present he is in charge of Grace Meth-
odist Episcopal Church, Baltimore, Mary-
land. He married, 1902, Gertrude, a
daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J. M. Larimore,
of Greenfield, Indiana ; has two children —
Mary Florence and James Marcellus Lich-



741



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



liter. 2. Alice Morris, who was graduated
from the Pennsylvania College of Music,
and was prominently engaged in musical
work at Chautauqua and elsewhere. She
married, 1905, A. Bradford Crooks, a mer-
chant in Boise, Idaho.



SNYDER, J. Frank,

Iiaxpyer, Autlior.

John Franklin Snyder, of New York
City, was born at Clearfield, Pennsylvania,
June 2^, 1855, and is a son of the late Henry
Edward Snyder, of the same place.

Balthazer Snyder, of German parentage,
who died at New Berlin, Union county,
Pennsylvania, July i, 1838, in the seventy-
third year of his age, and Susanna, his wife,
who died in 1845, in her eighty-third year,
were his great-grandparents ; and their son,
David Snyder, who was born in Union
(now Snyder) county, Pennsylvania, Oc-
tober 4, 1800, and died July 23, 1891, and
Catharine, his wife, who was born Novem-
ber 7, 1804, and died April 20, 1890, were
his grandparents. They had seven sons and
four daughters, of whom Henry Edward
Snyder above-named was the eldest. Balth-
azer Snyder and his son David were farm-
ers, and the Balthazer Snyder homestead
near New Berlin, Pennsylvania, is still
owned and occupied by a son of David
Snyder, who is also a farmer.

Henry Edward Snyder was born January
31, 1827, on the Balthazer Snyder home-
stead, and learned the trade of carriage
smithing, and located at Clearfield, Pennsyl-
vania, in 1850, where he carried on his trade
for about forty years, when he retired, en-
joying the confidence and respect of the
whole community until his death on January
14, 1906. He was one of the original mem-
bers of the Evangelical Lutheran church at
Qearfield. He married, April 24, 1854,
Louisa McPherson. daughter of John Mc-
Pherson and his wife Margaret. John Mc-
Pherson was born July 23, 1808, in Center
county, Pennsylvania, and died November
21, 1864, at Clearfield. His father, Thomas



McPherson, son of Joseph McPherson, of
Center county, was born June 25, 1776, and
died April i, 1827, in Armstrong coimty,
Pennsylvania. John McPherson was a tan-
ner. Margaret McPherson, wife of John
and a daughter of Benjamin Bloom, son of
William Bloom, was born June 13, 1815, in
Pike township, near Curwensville, Clear-
field county, Pennsylvania, and died August
16, 1852, at Clearfield. Her father, Ben-
jamin Bloom, was one of the first settlers
in Clearfield county, having come there with
his parents in 1800 from Center county, and
was born December 31, 1790, and died Au-
gust 13, 1878, in Pike township, Clearfield
county. He married Sallie McCIure, who
was born October 20, 1792, and died Sep-
tember 14, 1868.

J. Frank Snyder, as he is most familiarly
known, was educated in the private and pub-
lic schools of his native town ; he attended
the Clearfield Academy, and was graduated
in 1876 from the Clearfield High School.
In 1872 he was put at work in his father's
carriage smithing shop, and worked there
until the fall of 1874, and during his vaca-
tions in 1875-76, until his graduation in
1876 from the Clearfield High School. He
then entered the law office of the late Judge
Augustus S. Landis, at Hollidaysburg,
Pennsylvania, where he was admitted, April
25, 1878, to the Blair county bar. On June
18, 1878, after passing a second bar ex-
amination, he was admitted to the Clearfield
county bar, and on June 23, 1878, opened
an office at Clearfield, his native town,
where he practiced his profession until June
18, 1898. In 1883 the late Judge John H.
Orvis, of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, re-
signed his position as President Judge of
the several courts of the judicial district
composed of the counties of Center and
Huntingdon, and formed a partnership with
him, under the firm name of Orvis & Sny-
der. The firm conducted a general law
practice at Clearfield until October, 1893,
when it was dissolved by the death of Judge
Orvis.



742



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Mr. Snyder moved to New York City in years each as prothonotary and clerk of the



June, 1898, and was admitted to the New
York bar on August 13, 1898, and for
several years acted as general counsel for
the widely-known leather house of Fayer-
weather & Ladew, and for the late Edward
R. Ladew, and for the last seven years has
been angaged in the general practice of law
in New York City. He is a member of the
American Bar Association, the Pennsyl-
vania Bar Association, the Association of
the Bar of the City of New York, and the
New York County Lawyers Association.
He is a member of the Lutheran Church, is
identified with the Democratic party, and
is a member of the National Democratic
Club.

He is also a member of the National Geo-
graphical Society, and of the Qearfield His-
torical Society, and was a charter member
of the Clearfield Law Library Association.
He is the author of the chapter of the
"Origin, Growth and Development of the
Educational Interests and Institutions," in
the "History of Clearfield County, Pennsyl-
vania," D. Mason & Co., 1887; of the writ-
ten part of "Clearfield County, Pennsyl-
vania — One Hundred Years' Growth —
1804 — March 26 — 1904;" of a booklet
"Clearfield Alumni Association, Thirtieth
Anniversary," published in 1913; and of
historical and miscellaneous newspaper
articles.

He was first married, October 10, 1885, at
Clearfield, Pennsylvania, to Edith Ann
Tate, a daughter of the late Hon. Aaron
Chandler Tate, and his wife, Martha Jane
Brown. Edith Ann Tate was born April
4. 1856, in Lawrence township, Clearfield
county, Pennsylvania, and died March 14,
1894, at Clearfield. They had one son.
Aaron Tate Snyder, of San Francisco,
born January 4, 1887, and a son who died
in infancy. Aaron Chandler Tate, son of
Joshua Tate and Lydia Wilson, his wife,
was born in Lawrence township, Clearfield
county, and died December 24, 1880, at
Qearfield ; he served two terms of three



several courts of Clearfield county, and one
term as a representative in the Pennsylvania
Legislature. Joshua Tate, son of William
Tate and Ann Nichols, his wife, was born
June I, 1801, and died March 8, 1864, on
his farm in Lawrence township, Clearfield
county ; and William Tate was born March
14, 1770, and resided in Chester and Center
counties, and died April 24, 1834, at Clear-
field. William Tate was one of the first
settlers in Clearfield town, and a member of
the first board of county commissioners of
Clearfield county.

Mr. Snyder married Sarah Ann Patchin,
at Clearfield, June 19, 1907. She is a
daughter of the late Horace H. Patchin, and
Sarah Ann Weaver, his wife, who was
born December 27, 1818, at Sabbath Day
Point, on Lake George, New York, and died
December 23, 1885, at Burnside, Clearfield
county. Horace H. Patchin was a merchant
and manufacturer and dealer in lumber,
and a descendant of Joseph Patchin, who
settled at Roxbury, Massachusetts, between
1633 and 1640, and who afterwards resided
and died at Fairfield, Connecticut. Jacob
Patchin, grandson of Joseph, married Abi-
gail Cabel, daughter of John Cabel, of
Fairfield, Connecticut, and had several chil-
dren, among them a son Jabez Patchin, who
married Hannah Squires, and resided at
Wilton, Connecticut, where their son. Cap-
tain Samuel Patchin, was born. In 1764



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 5 of 58)