Copyright
John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 56 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 56 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


for the Philippines, sailing thence June 15,

1898. Lieutenant-Colonel Barnett was,
however, ordered back to Pennsylvania by
Colonel Hawkins to recruit more men for
the regiment. He established "Camp Haw-
kins" at Washington, Pennsylvania, and on
July 10 reported with two hundred and
fifty-six men to Brigadier-General Charles
King, in San Francisco. He immediately
had assigned to him the recruits for the
First California, Second Oregon, First
Colorado and First Nebraska regiments, in
all about one thousand men, and under com-
mand of General King sailed, about August



I, 1898, for Honolulu, with the Pennsyl-
vania, First Nebraska and First Colorado
recruits. At Honolulu the expedition was
sidetracked, but by order of President Mc-
Kinley to the Secretary of War, Lieutenant-
Colonel Barnett was directed to proceed to
his regiment at Manila, being in command
of the transport "Arizona" (now "Han-
cock") from Honolulu to Manila. He
reached there September 28, 1898, and
served with his regiment in the Philippine
insurrection, taking part in the attack on
Manila and in the engagements of Chinese
Hospital Laloma, Caloocan, San Francisco
del Monte, Tuliahan River, Meycauayan,
Marilao, Bocaue, Guiguinto and Malolos.

About April 14, 1899, the regiment was
ordered from Malolos to Cavite, Colonel
Hawkins being made commander of that
independent military district, and placing
Lieutenant-Colonel Barnett in command of
the regiment. Colonel Hawkins soon after
fell ill and requested that Lieutenant-Colo-
nel Barnett be made commander of the dis-
trict — a request which was granted by Gen-
eral Otis, with the proviso that he should
also retain command of the regiment, thus
entailing upon him double duty. Under his
command were the peninsula and town of
Cavite, the island of Correggidor, two bat-
teries of the First California Heavy Artil-
lery, one battery of Wyoming Light Artil-
lery, four guns ; one troop of Nevada
Cavalry, and the Tenth Pennsylvania. Lieu-
tenant-Colonel Barnett retained command
of this district until July i, 1899, when the
regiment embarked for the United States.
Out of deference to the memory of Colonel
Hawkins, Lieutenant-Colonel Barnett re-
fused promotion to the rank of colonel of
the Tenth Regiment in the United States
service. During the Boxer Rebellion he
volunteered to raise a regiment for service
in China. In 1900 Lieutenant-Colonel Bar-
nett was unanimously chosen colonel of the
reorganized Tenth Regiment, and in 1905
unanimously reelected, resigning in 1907.



1054





y^ l^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Under his command the regiment main-
tained its efficiency, and in 1902 took part
in the anthracite strike, being stationed at
Shamokin. After the earthquake and fire
in San Francisco he inaugurated the move-
ment by which the members of the Tenth
Regiment, through the generosity of their
friends in their respective company towns,
were enabled to send $10,000 to the people
of the stricken city.



CORL, Henry L.,

Merchaxit, Financier.

Joseph Corl was born in 1820, the son of
Daniel Corl. He was a blacksmith in Leb-
anon county, Pennsylvania. To him and
his wife Catharine were born three children
— Emma L. Corl, Henry L. Corl, the sub-
ject of this sketch, and Catharine Corl.

Henry L. Corl was born in Lebanon
county, March i, 1845. He received a pub-
lic school education at Myerstown, in the
same county, and began his business career
as a blacksmith. After this he was for five
years with the mercantile firm of Dongeo &
Weirich, at Myerstown. But in 1879 he
went into business as a member of the firm
of Corl & Manderbach, and under the man-
agement of the partners this has become a
prosperous retail mercantile business. Mr.
Corl is also a director in the Farmers' Na-
tional Bank, at Myerstown. He is a mem-
ber of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, and of the Patriotic Order of Sons of
America, Camp No. 64. Politically he is
a Republican. In April of 1912 he was
elected one of the seven members of the
town council of Myerstown, and was chosen
president of the council. As a member of
the Evangelical Lutheran church, he has
greatly interested himself in its Sunday
school work, and has been treasurer of the
Sunday school for thirty years.

Mr. Corl married, at Myerstown, May 9,
1889, Celia, daughter of Daniel and Eliza-
beth (Sunday) Kline. No children have
been born to this union.

1055



OLMSTED, Marlin E.,

Lawyer, Veteran Congressman.

Hon. Marlin Edgar Olmsted, LL. D., son
of Henry Jason and Evalena Theresa Cush-
ing Olmsted, was born at Olmsted's Corners,
near Ulysses, Potter county, Pennsylvania,
May 21, 1847. When he was about one
year of age his parents moved to the county
seat, Coudersport, where he attended the
common, or district school, and the Cou-
dersport Academy.

His father served as prothonotary and
clerk of the courts of Potter county for
more than twenty-four years, and Marlin
E. frequently acted as his deputy. It was
planned by his father and uncle that he
should read law with his uncle, Arthur G.
Olmsted, one of the leading lawyers of
Northern Pennsylvania, who had served as
speaker of the House of Representatives,
was at the time State Senator, and later
became President Judge of the Bucks and
Montgomery district, and still later of the
Forty-eighth Judicial District, but the
young man did not at that time incline to the
la.w.

In 1869 he was, through the influence of
Senator Olmsted, tendered a position in the
State Treasury, but the then State Treas-
urer, Robert W. Mackey, learning of his
youth and inexperience, traded him off, as
it were, to Auditor-General Hartranft, in
whose department he became assistant cor-
poration clerk in the place of Captain W.
B. Hart, who was transferred to the Treas-
ury, and who subsequently became cashier
and then State Treasurer. The young man
devoted himself to the duties of assistant
corporation clerk with such energy and suc-
cess that one year later, although the young-
est in years and in service of the many
clerks in the department, he was, upon the
resignation of J. Montgomery Forster to
accept the position of Insurance Commis-
sioner, promoted to the responsible position
of Corporation Clerk in charge of the col-
lection of millions of dollars of revenue



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



under Pennsylvania's peculiar system of
taxing corporations. He rendered the State
an additional service in the preparation of
several entirely new general revenue laws,
which were passed by the legislature in the
precise form in which he prepared them,
and, being sustained by the courts at every
point, yielded to the Commonwealth vast
sums of revenue. This position he held for
six years, under Auditors-General Hart-
ranft and Allen. Upon the accession of a
Democratic administration, the leading
newspapers of the State declared that in the
interest of the Commonwealth Mr. Olm-
sted, although a Republican, should be re-
tained in office, but the incoming Auditor-
General elected to appoint his own son-in-
law.

Upon retiring from the Auditor-General's
office Mr. Olmsted was offered a position in
the Insurance Department, a position in the
Treasury Department, and a position in the
office of the Secretary of State, as well as
one or two desirable business positions, in-
cluding the cashiership of a large national
bank. But, declining them all, he chose to
read law with the late John W. Simonton,
at Harrisburg, who afterwards became
President Judge of the Twelfth Judicial
District. He was admitted to the bar of-
Dauphin county, November 25, 1878, to the
bar of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania,
May 16, 1881, and to the bar of the Supreme
Court of the United States, November 12,
1884. From the very beginning, important
clients came to him in great numbers from
different and distant parts of the State and
from other States, and he soon had an ex-
tensive and lucrative practice in the State
and Federal courts, chiefly in cases involv-
ing questions of constitutional and corpora-
tion law.

When scarcely of age he was elected bor-
ough auditor of Coudersport, but never
served, having taken up his residence in
Harrisburg, where he was elected and served
for a brief period as a member of Select
Council. In 1891 the people of the various



districts of Pennsylvania were called upon
to elect delegates to a proposed Constitu-
tional Convention, and also to vote whether
such convention should be held. Mr. Olm-
sted was elected a delegate from his dis-
trict, but in the State at large the majority
voted against the holding of the convention.

In 1896, he was, by an overwhelming
majority, elected to Congress from the
Fourteenth District, comprising the coun-
ties of Dauphin, Lebanon and Perry.
Although from the beginning of the gov-
ernment no congressman had represented
the State capital district for more than two
terms, Mr. Olmsted was elected eight times
— twice more from the Fourteenth, and
then five times from the Eighteenth Dis-
trict, which was the same as the former,
except that Cumberland county was sub-
stituted for Perry. At each of the eight
elections he ran far ahead of the candidates
on the State and local tickets.

He took an active and prominent part in
the important legislation of Congress from
the time he became a member of that body.
His speeches on the tariff, in particular,
have been extensively quoted from in cam-
paign text-books in Congressional and Pres-
idential years. As chairman, for a number j
of terms, of the Committee on Elections, he |
helped to rescue the determination of con-
tests for seats in the House from a mere
political controversy, and to convert the
committee into a judicial tribunal wherein
contests were decided upon their merits j
without reference to political considerations.
He acquired an enviable reputation for fair-
ness in that committee, and also in his
rulings in the chair, where he was fre-
quently called to preside over the House
of Representatives. As a member of the
Committee on Revision of Laws he assisted
in the preparation and passage of a law for _j
the government of Alaska. As a member
and later, as chairman of the Committee on
Insular Affairs, he was prominent in pro-
moting and passing laws for the govern-
ment of the Philippines and Porto Rico,



1056



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



and particularly the "Olmsted Bill," which,
withstanding attacks in the court, settled
a deadlock between the two legislative
branches in Porto Rico which threatened to
block the wheels of government. He was
also a member of the Committee on Appro-
priations, perhaps the most important of all
the committees of the House. He was one
of the managers on the part of the House
who presented and argued before the United
States Senate the impeachment proceedings
against Judge Swayne of Florida.

Discovering early that the member most
skilled in the complicated parliamentary law
and usages of the House had a great advan-
tage in legislation, he devoted himself to the
mastery of the subject, and on many im-
portant occasions was called — perhaps more
frequently than any other member — to pre-
side over the House of Representatives,
either as Speaker pro tempore or as chair-
man of the Committee of the Whole House
on the State of the Union. More important
rulings made by him are recorded in Hinds'
"Parliamentary Precedents" than by any
other congressman who ever served in that
body without having been Speaker. His
well-known parliamentary skill led to his
selection as Parliamentarian of the Republi-
can National Convention of 1912. Mr.
Olmsted received the honorary degree of
Doctor of Laws from Lebanon Valley Col-
lege in 1903, and from Dickinson College in
1905. He was for a number of years one
of the trustees of Pennsylvania State Col-
lege.

He married, October 26, 1899, Gertrude,
daughter of the late Major Conway R.
Howard, of Richmond, Virginia.

December 22, 191 1, there apparently being
no opposition to his continued service, he
publicly announced that in the ensuing year
he would not be a candidate for reelection to
Congress, preferring to see more of his
family and give more attention to his pro-
fessional practice and his business interests.
He was senior member of the firm of Olm-
sted & Stamm, which probably has as large



a practice as any law firm in Pennsylvania;
and at the expiration of his last term in
Congress, March 4, 1913, it was his purpose
to devote his attention entirely to his pro-
fession and to the afifairs of railroad and
other enterprises with which he was con-
nected. However, he died suddenly in New
York, July 19, 1913, following a surgical
operation. Mrs. Olmsted and five children
survive him.



PAINTER, Burton Charles,

Physician.

Dr. Burton Charles Painter, a well estab-
lished physician and surgeon of New
Brighton, Pennsylvania, was born in West
Sunbury, Pennsylvania, March 16, 1878.
He comes from an old Pennsylvania family,
and is a son of Simon Peter and Lois (Sut-
ton) Painter.

Simon Peter Painter, born in 1836, in
Butler county, Pennsylvania, was a farmer,
and coal and oil operator. He was a man
of ability and standing, and served as school
director, tax collector and justice of the
peace. He married, in 1856, Lois Sutton,
of Scotch-Irish ancestry, daughter of John
and Nancy (McCall) Sutton; she was born
in Butler county, Pennsylvania, in 1840.
Children of Simon Peter Painter: John
Sutton, born 1858; Jacob Monroe, i860;
Malinda Jane, 1862; William Harvey, 1864;
Nancy Elizabeth, 1867; Howard Isaiah,
1870; Perrie Alvin, 1872; Allen Baker,
1874; Louise S., 1876; Burton Charles,
1878; Lillian May, 1880; Stella Sara, 1883;
Lester LeRoy, 1886.

Burton Charles Painter, son of Simon
Peter Painter, began his education in the
public schools, and pursued advanced
studies in the West Sunbury Academy. He
prepared for his profession in the medical
department of the University of Pittsburgh,
from which he was graduated in 1905 with
the degree of Doctor of Medicine. While
a medical student he interspersed his studies
with service as a public school teacher, in



IOS7



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



which he acquitted himself most creditably
during a period of three years. Imme-
diately after his graduation in medicine, he
began practice in his native town, and in
which he has continued to the present time
successfully and with a constantly increas-
ing patronage. He is a member of the
Beaver County Medical Society, the Penn-
sylvania State Medical Society and the
American Medical Association. In politics
he is a Republican, and in religion a Pres-
byterian. He is affiliated with the Masonic
fraternity, the Knights of Pythias, the
Knights of the Maccabees, and the Knights
of the Golden Eagle ; and is a member of
the Brighton Club.

Dr. Painter married, at Pittsburgh, Penn-
sylvania, June 20, 1906, Dulce Thompson,
born in Butler county, October 6, 1879,
daughter of James Milton and Emma Viola
(Christley) Thompson; her father is a suc-
cessful oil operator. Children of Dr. and
Mrs. Painter: John Milton, born May 20,
1907; Margaret Dulce, October 6, 1909;
Burton Charles Painter Jr., July 4, 191 1.



McClelland, John Black,

Physician, Hmnanitarian.

One of Pittsburgh's titles to greatness has
always been the prestige in learning, skill
and weight of character, of the members of
her medical profession. Her physicians of
the present have worthily upheld the high
standards so nobly maintained by those of
the past, and prominent among those whose
records recently became part of her history
was Dr. John Black McClelland, for a third
of a century one of the most noted practi-
tioners of the metropolis and numbered
among her leading citizens.

John Black McClelland was born June 4,
1843, in Pittsburgh, and was a son of James
H. and Elizabeth Thomson (Black) Mc-
Clelland. A biography and portrait of Mr.
McClelland, who in his day was one of the
most prominent architects of the State and
built many of the finest structures in Pitts-



burgh, appear elsewhere in this work. John
Black McClelland was given the name of
his maternal grandfather, the Rev. John
Black, D. D., a prominent divine of old
Pittsburgh, whose son. Colonel Samuel
Black, won distinction in the Civil War. The
grandson was educated in public and private
schools of his native city, and at the out-
break of the Civil War enlisted in Hampton
Battery. He saw hard service, acquitting
himself most creditably, and at the close of
his term received an honorable discharge.
Deciding to devote himself to the profes-
sion of medicine, Mr. McClelland entered
Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia,
graduating in 1879. He immediately began
active practice in Pittsburgh and in the
course of time, by close study, unwearied
research and ceaseless devotion to duty,
built up a large and lucrative clientele,
advancing to that high position in the ranks
of his professional brethren which he occu-
pied for so many years. For thirty-two
years he was connected with the Homoeo-
pathic Hospital. As long as Dr. McClel-
land lived no physician in Pittsburgh stood
higher than he.

A true and faithful citizen, Dr. McClel-
land loyally maintained the public-spirited
traditions of his family. He adhered to the
Republican party, but neither sought nor
desired office, albeit, as a vigilant and atten-
tive observer of men and measures, of sound
opinions and broad views, his ideas carried
weight among those with whom he dis-
cussed public problems. His charities were
numerous but extremely unostentatious.
He was prominent in social as well as in
civil life, belonging to the Pittsburgh and
University Clubs, the Pittsburgh Golf Club,
and to various medical associations. He
was a member of the Third Presbyterian
Church.

A high order of intellect, profound and
comprehensive learning and an unusual de-
gree of professional skill were combined in
the personality of Dr. McClelland with a
genial disposition which recognized and
058





l/S'^^'^-^-C^^^.^.-u^^



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



appreciated the good in others. Of fine
presence, his countenance bearing the im-
print of his noble characteristics and his
eyes, thoughtful yet penetrating, speaking
at once of the thinker and the observer, he
looked the man he was. The true physician
and the perfect gentleman, he was, also, to
the end of his life, the soldier, retaining his
membership in the Grand Army of the Re-
public and the Union Veteran Legion, and
taking an active part in the work of both
organizations.

Dr. McClelland never married, but lived
with his brothers, Drs. J. H. and R. W.
McClelland, the trio occupying conspicuous
places in the group of the oldest and best
known physicians of Pittsburgh. Biogra-
phies and portraits of Drs. J. H. and R. W.
McClelland appear elsewhere in this work.
On August 4, 1912, Dr. McClelland closed
his long career of usefulness and honor,
leaving a record worthy of his noble pro-
fession, the record of one whose talents
were wholly consecrated to the relief and
uplifting of humanity.

The family of which this high-minded
physician was a representative is famous in
the medical annals of Pittsburgh and the
name derives much of its lustre from the
character and work of Dr. John Black Mc-
Clelland.



SMITH, Frank H.,

Civil Engineer, Financier.

The strong, true men of a people are
always public benefactors. Their usefulness
in the immediate and specific labors they
perform can scarcely be overestimated, and
the good they do through the forces they put
in motion and through the inspiration of
their presence and example is immeasurable.
The late Frank H. Smith, of East Strouds-
burg, Pennsylvania, was such a man, and so
deeply did he leave his impress upon the
industrial, civic and business life of the
communities in which he resided at various
times, that no word of eulogy is demanded
for him. Results speak for him.



(I) John Smith, great-grandfather of Mr-
Smith, was of Dutch ancestry, and came to
this country directly from Holland. He
settled at Bushkill, Pike county, Pennsylva-
nia, where he raised a large family.

(II) Isaac, son of John Smith, was born
near Bushkill and spent his entire life there,
being occupied as a farmer and lumberman.
He married Catherine Arnst, and both are
buried in Coolbaugh Cemetery. Children:
John, of further mention; Catherine; Eliz-
abeth ; George ; Sarah ; Peter ; Louise ; May.

(III) John, son of Isaac and Catherine
(Arnst) Smith, was born December 29,
1807, and died October 13, 1867. Early in
life he commenced working as a blacksmith
at Dingman, Pennsylvania, where he also
assisted in the construction of the first
bridge across the Delaware river. Later he
removed to Middle Smithfield township,
where he was a farmer as well as a black-
smith. He was a member of the Presby-
terian church, and gave his political support
to the Democratic party. He married Eliz-
abeth Hankinson, born in Sussex county,
New Jersey, March 10, 1807, died May 12,
1878. Children: Frank H., of further men-
tion; George H., killed during Civil War,
at Newberne, North Carolina ; Martha, mar-
ried Frank C. Bunnell, of Tunkhannock,
Pennsylvania.

(IV) Frank H., son of John and Eliza-
beth (Hankinson) Smith, was born at Bush-
kill, Pike county, Pennsylvania, August 19,
1832, and died at East Stroudsburg, No-
vember 13, 1909. The district schools of
his native township furnished him with his
early educational advantages, and these were
supplemented by attendance at Wyoming
Seminary, Kingston, Pennsylvania. For
several years after leaving this institution
he followed the profession of teaching with
success in the State of Pennsylvania. Early
in 1855, being of an energetic and ambitious
nature, he removed to new fields in the
State of Iowa, and while there formed a
connection with Senator Trumbull, for
whom he bought, sold and surveyed lands



1059



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



of large extent. Among his work of this
nature was a preHminary survey for the
construction of the Cedar Valley road.
Subsequently, making his headquarters
at Camp Creek, Black Hawk county, he
commenced speculation independently, and
still later conducted a general store in
Chickasaw county. He returned east in
1863, and there engaged in farming on
the Smith homestead, which he purchased
in 1870, and made his home on this fine
estate until his removal to East Strouds-
burg in 1894. For many years he had
been a leading spirit in financial circles
in this section, and he was one of the organ-
izers of the First National Bank of Strouds-
burg in 1882, and was chosen its first vice-
president, in 1884 was elected to the presi-
dency, and was still in office at the time of
his death. But it was not in financial mat-
ters alone that his remarkable ability was
so prominently displayed. In 1892 he pur-
chased the franchise and equipment of the
old horse-car line between Stroudsburg and
East Stroudsburg, and in association with
others the company was reorganized, placed
upon a sound financial basis, the motive
power ultimately modernized after much
opposition, and Mr. Smith, who was the
chief stockholder, was elected to the presi-
dency. The road was extended to Milford
Crossing in 1902, and has since been oper-
ated as a trolley line. Mr. Smith was one
of the trustees of the State Normal School
at East Stroudsburg and, while not finan-
cially interested, was an active worker in the
establishment of the knitting and silk mills
and other industries in that section. It was
chiefly owing to his efforts that the State
bridge over the Brodhead creek, between
Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg was
constructed. He was a member of the Cool-
baugh Presbyterian Church, to which he
was a liberal contributor, and for many
years served it as elder and active worker.
Mr. Smith married, in February, 1856,
Mary, born in Chestnut Hill township, Mon-
roe county, Pennsylvania, in 1835, a daugh-



ter of Daniel and Mercy (Hallock) Brown,
and they were the parents of children as
follows : Lewis B., a physician at Bush-
kill, Pennsylvania; Nellie, married John
Albertson, of Warren county, New Jersey,
and now residing in East Stroudsburg ; Ed-
ward F., of further mention ; May, who was
graduated from the Model School at Tren-
ton, New Jersey, taught school for a num-
ber of years, and was bookkeeper in the
First National Bank for twelve years ;
George, died at the age of nine years.

(V) Edward F., son of Frank H. and
Mary (Brown) Smith, was born in Floyd



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 56 of 58)