John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 57 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 57 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

county, Iowa, September 18, 1862, and was
an infant when he came to the Smith home-
stead, located on the Delaware river, three
miles above Shawnee, Pennsylvania. His
elementary education was acquired in the
district schools of his township, and he then
attended the John I. Blair Academy at
Blairstown, New Jersey, and finally became
a student at Eastman's Business College, at
Poughkeepsie, New York, from which he
was graduated in the class of 1884. Upon
the completion of this final preparation for
entrance upon the business life of the world,
he engaged in agricultural pursuits for a
time, and when he came to East Strouds-
burg in 1892, became associated with his
father in the conduct of the afifairs of the
Street Railway Company. He was elected
to the office of secretary and general man-
ager in 1895, and has since filled that office
with a degree of efficiency which has been
highly satisfactory to all connected with the
corporation, and the pubHc which it serves.
He is also a director in the First National
Bank and the Monroe Ribbon Mills. His
religious affiliation is with the Stroudsburg
Presbyterian Church, and fraternally he is
a member of the Knights of Malta.

STAUFFER, George E.,

Manufacturer, Financier.

George E. Staufifer, proprietor of the
Keystone Foundry, East Stroudsburg, Mon-
roe county, Pennsylvania, and prominently


identified with many enterprises of import-
ance in the financial and commercial world,
is a descendant of an honored German fam-
ily. According to tradition the Stauffers
owe their origin to a generation of knights
called "Stauffacher," at Hohenstauffen, Ger-
many. It is presumed by genealogists that
all the Staufifer pioneers that immigrated to
America at various times have the same
common origin and are more or less re-
motely related. Jacob Stauffer, who settled
in Locust Valley, near Tamaqua, Schuylkill
county, Pennsylvania, many years ago, was
the direct ancestor of George E. Staufifer
and Isaac Stauffer.

Jacob Stauffer, father of George E. Stauf-
fer, was born in Montgomery county, Penn-
sylvania, in 1808, and died in Tannersville,
Monroe county, Pennsylvania, May i, 1881.
He was young when he removed with his
parents to Northampton county, and settled
near Wind Gap, and there obtained the lim-
ited amount of education that the district
schools of that day afforded. As soon as
he had attained the proper age he was
apprenticed to learn a trade, in his case it
being that of a blanket weaver, and he fin-
ished his apprenticeship at about the time
that he came of age. About the year 1840
he obtained a contract from the government
to deliver the mail through his section of
the country. He went into this with the vim
which characterized all that he undertook.
Employing about ninety horses in carrying
the mail and passengers on the various stage
coach routes to which he had been assigned,
the service he afforded gave the greatest
satisfaction and was considered a marvel-
ously swift and comfortable one for that
time, although our modern opinion of it
might not be exactly the same. From Easton
to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, on the old
Wilkes-Barre turnpike, he employed thirty-
two horses, or four relays, and also on the
route from Easton to Honesdale, Pennsyl-
vania. The mail and coach route, four
horses, from Easton to Stroudsburg, also
the stage and mail route from Stroudsburg

to Port Jervis, New York, and the mail and
coach route from Wilkes-Barre to Hazle-
ton, Pennsylvania, and several smaller
routes, were included in the districts which
he covered, and these were continued until
the operation of the Delaware, Lackawanna
& Western railroad. He also had a six-
horse team which carted leather from Tan-
nersville, Pennsylvania, to Philadelphia, for
R. T. Downing & Company, taking about
a week to make the trip.

In 1846 he came to Tannersville, where
he conducted a store as a general merchant
for a time. He established a foundry for
the manufacture of ploughs and other farm-
ing implements, and was also engaged in
farming and lumbering. He was a man of
many-sided ability, and was justly promi-
nent in the community. He affiliated with
the Republican party, and was appointed
Associate Judge of Monroe county in 1875.
Another business connection was with the
old Stroudsburg Bank, of which he was a
director many years. He was a member of
the German Reformed Church of Tanners-
ville, and a charter member of Barger
Lodge, No. 325, Free and Accepted Masons,
of Stroudsburg. Mr. Stauif er married Anna
Hahn, born in 1810, died in 1895, and both
are buried at Tannersville, Pennsylvania.
Of their children, the following four grew
to maturity : Isaac, lives at Pocono Lake,
Pennsylvania; George E., whose name heads
this sketch; Kate, now deceased, married
Charles Brown, of Tannersville; Henrietta,
married Wilson Kistler, now deceased, of
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.

George E. Stauffer was bom near Wind
Gap, Northampton county, Pennsylvania,
May 8, 1836, and was ten years of age when
he removed with his parents to Monroe
county. There he received his education in
the public schools, and there he was asso-
ciated with his father in the foundry busi-
ness until 1870, when both foundry and resi-
dence were removed to No. 268 Washington
street. East Stroudsburg, and where for a
period of forty-four years he has been en-



gaged in the manufacture of ploughs, etc.,
and has conducted a general jobbing busi-
ness. He was one of the organizers of the
First National Bank of Stroudsburg, was
a member of the board of directors from the
time of its inception, and has now been in
office as vice-president for a number of
years. For a long time he has served in
office as a trustee of the State Normal
School, but has now resigned. For more
than forty years he has been a member of
the Methodist church of East Stroudsburg,
and at present is steward and trustee. He
has been through all the chairs of Barger
Lodge, No. 325, Free and Accepted Masons
of Stroudsburg, and is also a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Stauffer married, January i, 1858,
Lucetta, daughter of Anthony and Mary
(Bush) Seabring, and they have had chil-
dren: Frances Eloise, married Spearing
Shafer, and has children: Dorothy, Edith
and George I. ; May, married John Ingra-
ham, and has: George S. and Adelaide;
Myrtle, married A. Reeves J. Wallace. Mr.
Stauffer stands high in the esteem of all
who come in contact with him in the busi-
ness or social world. His counsel is fre-
quently sought in various directions, and
he is ever ready to lend his assistance in
furthering any project which has for its
object the improvement of existing condi-


Manufacturer, Capitalist.

In the foremost ranks of the progressive
men of Pocono Lake, Monroe county,
Pennsylvania, stands Isaac Stauffer, who
though more than eighty years of age, is
as energetic and active as many men far his
juniors in point of years. He still attends
to all his business affairs, which are numer-
ous and extensive, and is respected and
esteemed by his fellow citizens for the ster-
ling integrity which has characterized all his

dealings throughout his long life. The
earliest history of his family is referred to
at length in the sketch of his brother,
George E. Stauffer.

Isaac Stauffer was born near Wind Gap,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, April
13, 1834, and his education was obtained in
the country school near his home. His first
employment was with his father, as a driver
of the stage coaches on the various routes
controlled by the latter, and he followed
this occupation until 1856, when he engaged
in the produce and butchering business at
Tannersville, continuing this until he was
drafted into the army in 1862. Owing to
disability he was not accepted. In 1863 he
settled in Tobyhanna township, Monroe
county, at South Pocono Lake, where he
was engaged in lumbering. In 1874 he pur-
chased a tract of five hundred acres of tim-
ber land partly cleared this, and in 1894,
purchased four thousand acres of timber
land in the same locality, the greater part of
which is still in his possession. He is en-
gaged in lumbering on an enormous scale,
owns a saw mill which was erected by
Charles Hauser in 1851, planing, lath and
shingle mills; in 1876 he erected a clothes-
pin factory, which he operated, and in 1882
he erected and personally operated a shoe-
peg factor}'. He is also the owner of
Laurel Inn, one of the prominent summer
hotels in the Pocono Lake section. He was
the leading spirit and promoter of the Po-
cono Lake Ice Company, and other ice in-
dustries in that section, which have since
grown to huge proportions. He is a mem-
ber of Barger Lodge, No. 325, Free and
Accepted Masons, of Stroudsburg.

He married, in 1856, Anna Maria, born
October 16, 1836, a daughter of John Wood-
ling and Lydia Learn Woodling, and has :
Alice, who married Burton Herrick, of
Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Isaac
Stauffer (Anna Maria Woodling) is a de-
scendant of George Woodling, who emi-
grated from Germany some time in 1700

(ji^^Z^Cc x/^tSl.//^^ - -



and settled in Hamilton township, Monroe
county, Pennsylvania, and raised a large
family ; also a descendant of Conrad Wood-
ling, who served in the Mexican War.


Manufacturer, Capitalist.

John J. Bornhoeft, whose family now
lives in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania,
for many years occupied a foremost place
among men of large affairs. His operations
in the business world redounded to the great
advantage of the community with which he
was identified, and his personal life was an
exemplification of all that is becoming to
the irreproachable citizen.

John Bornhoeft, his father, was born in
Germany in 1811, died in New York City,
January 27, 1890, and is buried in Green-
wood Cemetery. He learned the trade of
cabinetmaking in Germany, and was still in
his teens when he emigrated to America.
Arriving at New York, he followed his
trade there for a number of years, later
becoming a dealer in rosewood, mahogany
and other fancy woods, at No. 90 Walker
street. New York City. He was very suc-
cessful in this line of business, and became
financially interested in the Sohmer and
Steinway piano manufacturing companies.
In the meantime he had purchased a tract of
more than 1,400 acres of heavily timbered
land in Pike county, Pennsylvania, and
erected a dwelling there in which he lived
with his wife and family during the summer
months. Some of the timber on this fine
estate he converted into hammer shanks. In
1870 he retired from active business life,
and spent the remainder of his life in New
York City. He was a member of the Luth-
eran church, and a Republican in politics.
Mr. Bornhoeft married, in New York, Dora
Bancker, also born in Germany, and they
had children : John J., whose name heads
this sketch ; Margaret ; Julia ; Dora ; Annie,
Johanna and Edwin.

John J. Bornhoeft was bom in New York

City, August 26, 1844, and died there Feb-
ruary 25, 1891. His education, a liberal
one, was acquired in public and private
schools, where he was taught both English
and German, and he was still quite a young
lad when he became a business associate of
his father. The name of the firm was
changed to read John Bornhoeft & Son,
and after the retirement of his father he
conducted the business alone until his death.
He was a member of the Seventh Regiment,
of New York City, enlisting March 31,

1862, in Company A, remaining until June
12, 1869 ; he was in the United States thirty-
day service from June 16, 1863, to July 20,

1863. The war records of the Seventh New
York Regiment were destroyed, so that it is
not possible to get more detailed informa-
tion. After the death of Mr. Bornhoeft his
family continued to reside in New York
during the winter months, but made their
summer home in Pike county, Pennsylvania.
Later they purchased a fine residence in
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, where they
have since resided. Mr. Bornhoeft married
(first) Sophia, a daughter of Joseph and
Mary (Daubt) Brown, of Monroe county,
Pennsylvania. Mrs. Bornhoeft died in
1880, and the following year Mr. Born-
hoeft married her sister, Elizabeth Brown,
by whom he had children: Anna M., mar-
ried P. L. Voss, of East Stroudsburg; and
Edna D. By the first marriage there was
one son.

George J. Bornhoeft was born in New
York City, where he was educated in the
public schools. Upon attaining a suitable
age he engaged in the hardware business,
with which he was successfully identified
for a period of nine years in East Strouds-
burg, and he is now a representative of the
Philadelphia Life Insurance Company in
East Stroudsburg. He is a member of the
Masonic fraternity, of all the Scottish Rite
bodies, and Keystone Commandery, Knights
Templar, of Scranton, Pennsylvania. He
married Lula. a daughter of Hon. T. Y.



HESS, Jeremiah S.,

educator, Legislator, Public Official.

Nicholas Hess, progenitor of the family
of which Hon. Jeremiah S. Hess is a worthy
representative, and whose ancestors are so
numerously represented in Bucks and
Northampton counties, Pennsylvania, was
a native of Zweibruecken (Deux Ponts), on
Schwarzbach (Black River), in the Pala-
tinate of Pfalz, Rhenish Bavaria, Germany.
He emigrated to this country when about
eighteen years of age, but the exact time is
not known, presumably about the year 1741,
nor is it positively known in what vessel he
crossed, as his name does not appear cor-
rectly, if at all, among the list of immigrants
at the port entry. On April 13, 1752, he
received a warrant of survey for a tract of
one hundred and thirteen acres of land from
Thomas and Richard Penn, for the consider-
ation of ii7 los 3d, deed for which was re-
corded in Philadelphia. The tract is located
about twomiles south of the village of Spring-
town, in Springfield township, Bucks county,
Pennsylvania. According to the records of
the Orphans Court, Nicholas Hess died in-
testate in January, 1800, and on May 6,
1800, upon the petition of Conrad Hess, the
eldest son, the court ordered an appraise-
ment to be made of his real estate, and the
premises to be divided by an equal and just
partition among all his children. Nicholas
Hess was evidently a prominent and influ-
ential citizen. He was one of six men who
organized and established Springfield church
at its present site, and erected the first stone
building in the year 1763. The church was
founded in 1745, and originally a log build-
ing served as a place of worship. In the
year 1795, Nicholas Hess being then the
only surviving member of the six original
elders and trustees, in order to establish a
title, executed a deed conveying the church
property to the members of the Lutheran
and German Reformed congregations for-
ever. He married, in Bucks county, Penn-
sylvania, Catharine Funk, a native of Mont-

gomery county, Pennsylvania, born in 1726,
youngest child' of Martin Funk, who resided
in Hatfield township. Children: i. Conrad,
born January 22, 1746, died March 16,
1832; resident of Springtown. 2. Philip,
born May i, 1750, died 1828; resident of
Springtown ; soldier in 1777. 3. Elizabeth,
born January 4, 1753, died November 28,
1833 ; married Samuel Beidelman, of
Chemung, New York. 4. John George, of
whom further. 5. Catharine, born Decem-
ber 21, 1767, died aged thirty-two years;
married Philip Beysher, of Bedminster,
Pennsylvania. The mother of these chil-
dren died in 1787, aged sixty-one years; she
was survived by her husband, who died at
the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. Mich-
ael Frankenfield, in January, 1800.

John George Hess, son of Nicholas Hess,
was born in Springfield township, Bucks
county, Pennsylvania, April 18, 1760, died
April 9, 1848. He was a miller by trade,
and for a while operated what is known at
present as Ehrhart's mill, on Saucon creek,
near Bingen, Lower Saucon township,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania. After-
wards he leased what was then known as
Andrew Ohl's mills, on Saucon creek, two
miles north of Hellertown, Pennsylvania,
where he conducted a prosperous business
for a number of years. On May 27, 1805,
he purchased these mills, consisting of a
grist mill and a clover seed mill near by,
together with the farms belonging thereto,
consisting of two tracts, one of seventy-
four acres and fifty-four perches, and the
other of one hundred and seventeen acres,
all for the sum of £2,500. After retiring
from active business, he sold both mills and
farm to his sons, John and Joseph, jointly,
who in 1840 erected a new mill which until
recent years was known as Hess' Mill. He
married Elizabeth Knepley, of Tohickon
Creek, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, born
April 2, 1762, died May 28, 1847. Chil-
dren : Jacob, George, John, Catharine, Wil-
liam, Elizabeth, Joseph, Charles, Samuel.

Rev. Samuel Hess, son of John George



Hess, was born at Hess' Mill, Lower Sau-
con township, Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania, December 25, 1804, died at Heller-
town, Pennsylvania, November 23, 1875.
He began a course of study for the ministry
under Rev. J. C. Becker, of Kreidersville,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, and
continued it for four years, and in October,
1827, during a meeting of Synod at York,
Pennsylvania, he was ordained in the minis-
try of the German Reformed church. He
immediately received the appointment as
pastor of Blue Church congregation, near
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania, and also Rich-
landtown congregation, Bucks county, Penn-
sylvania, both of which he served until he
retired from the active work of the ministry
in 1868, a period of forty years, and with
the unusual record of being pastor of one
charge. During part of that time he was
also pastor of the Reformed congregation
at Springfield church, and organized a con-
gregation at Applebachsville, Bucks county,
where, through his efforts, a church edifice
was erected. He also established the Re-
formed congregation which worshiped in
Keller's Church, Bedminster township. His
relation to the New Jerusalem Church at
Leithsville, Pennsylvania, began with its
organization, and to him is due the credit of
doing the planning, collecting the funds, and
erecting the church building at that place,
in the year 1834. He also took a deep inter-
est in education, and was an active factor
in the establishment of schools in North-
ampton county upon the enactment of the
public school system. He was also for many
years extensively engaged in the brick manu-
facturing business on his own premises, at
Hellertown. This brief account of his life
plainly indicates that he was a man of public
spirit and extensive influence, using all the
power within his means to improve the com-
munity wherein he resided.

Rev. Samuel Hess married (first) July
29, 1828, Elizabeth Dorothea Owens, born
in Upper Saucon township, Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, January 27, 1808, died at

Hellertown, May i, 1838, buried in New
Jerusalem Church burying ground, Leiths-
ville. No issue. He married (second) Feb-
ruary 18, 1840, Lucetta Kline, born in
Weisenberg township, Lehigh county, Penn-
sylvania, November 30, 1816, died Decem-
ber 15, 1893, buried in Hellertown ceme-
tery, by the side of her husband. They
had two sons: Jeremiah S., of whom fur-
ther; Milton J., born August 19, 1847.

Hon. Jeremiah S. Hess, son of Rev. Sam-
uel Hess, was born at Hellertown, Pennsyl-
vania, December 3, 1843. ^^^ his early youth
he attended Nisky Hill Academy, at Bethle-
hem, Pennsylvania, and also Allentown
Seminary. In 1859 he entered Franklin and
Marshall College, at Lancaster, Pennsyl-
vania, in the sophomore year, became a
member of the Phi Beta Kappa fraternity,
graduated in 1862, and three years later re-
ceived the degree of Master of Arts. From
1862 to 1864 he was the principal teacher in
Allentown Seminary, and after that he be-
came a student in the Theological Seminary
at Mercersburg, continuing there for one
year. The following two years he spent in
Germany, attending lectures at the Univer-
sities of Berlin, Bonn and Tubingen. Re-
turning home in 1867, it soon afterwards
became evident, owing to impaired health,
that he would be compelled to abandon the
career he had planned for himself, and ac-
cordingly he engaged in the lumber and coal
business at Hellertown. He also served as
cashier of the Hellertown Savings Bank
from 1873 to 1877; was principal of the
Hellertown Academy three years, 1878-80
was chief burgess of Hellertown Borough
justice of the peace for several terms
served one term in the State Senate under
Governor Pattison, having been elected to
that office in 1882, and at the present time
(1914) is serving as a notary public. He
was one of the founders of the Pennsylvania
German Society, and is a member of Lodge
No. 563, Free and Accepted Masons, of
which he has been secretary for twenty-six
years. He has always taken a great inter-



est in Forestry, and in 1883 advocated the
preservation of the forests from fire, and
he has always been a strong advocate of
education, serving in various capacities on
the school board. After his return from
Europe in 1867, he was chosen superintend-
ent of Christ Union Sunday School at Hel-
lertown, in which capacity he is serving at
the present time, a continuous service of
almost half a century, a record of which he
is exceedingly proud and- of which he has
just cause to be. He is one of the influential
men of the community, active and promi-
nent in all worthy enterprises.

Mr. Hess married, June 17, 1875, Tillie
Henninger, born at Hellertown, Pennsyl-
vania, June 19, 1856, daughter of Moses
Henninger. Children : Herbert H. ; Clara ;
Mary L., and Samuel.

HESS, Milton J.,

Man of Business.

Milton J. Hess, who for about forty years
has been prominently identified with busi-
ness enterprises of Hellertown, Northamp-
ton county, Pennsylvania, is a member of
an old family of Pennsylvania whose ances-
tral history is to be found in the sketch of
his brother, Hon. Jeremiah S. Hess, also in
this work. Milton J. Hess was born in
Hellertown, August 19, 1847. When fif-
teen years of age Mr. Hess had completed
his education in the public schools of Hel-
lertown, and entering Allentown Seminary,
he successfully completed a three years'
course in that institution. For a short
period of time he was engaged in teaching a
public school near Hellertown, then matricu-
lated at the Franklin and Marshall College
at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and was gradu-
ated in 1869. He then accepted a position
in the drug store of Dr. Charles E. Shoe-

maker in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and
while faithfully discharging the duties thus
entailed, attended lectures at the Philadel-
phia College of Pharmacy, from which he
was graduated in due course of time. The
drug firm of Shoemaker & Hess was then
organized, and was in force until 1872 when
Dr. Shoemaker retired from the firm and
Mr. Hess took Lewis W. Snyder as a busi-
ness associate, the name of the firm becom-
ing Hess & Snyder. Under its new man-
agement the firm successfully conducted
this business a further three years, until the
death of Mr. Hess' father in November,
1875, brought about another change. Mr.
Hess sold his interests in the drug business,
and early in 1876 associated himself in a
business partnership with his brother, the
Hon. Jeremiah S. Hess, in the lumber and
coal line at Hellertown, and still actively
attends to his duties there. He resides on
the Hess homestead in Hellertown.

Mr. Hess married, June 16, 1870, Mary
A. Bachman, who was born in Lower Sau-
con township, near Freemansburg, North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania, September
26, 1849. They were blessed with five chil-
dren, of whom two died in infancy: Wil-
liam Jeremiah, Howard Samuel, Calvin B.,
George Spencer and Kate E. Mr. Hess has
done a great deal to better conditions in the
community in which he resides, especially
in the fields of religion and education. It
has been one of his greatest pleasures to
render the paths toward the acquisition of
a higher education less difficult to young
men of ambition but small means, and his
efforts in this direction have been crowned
with a satisfactory measure of success. En-
ergetic and determined in all he undertakes,
he is, however, ever ready to listen to the

Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 57 of 58)