John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 7 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

fought under Washington. While in his
country's service he contracted a disease
which caused his death, July 20, 1777. His
elder brother, Aaron Stark, born November
3, 1732, was slain in the massacre of July
3, 1778, and his name, with that of Daniel
Stark, is inscribed on the Wyoming Battle

Henry Stark, son of James Stark, and
great-grandfather of Lydia (Stark) Mosier,
was born April 19, 1762, and married Eliz-
abeth Kennedy, November 3, 1791, and died
January 22, 1807.

James Stark, son of Henry Stark, and
grandfather of Lydia (Stark) Mosier, was
bom April 24, 1792, and married Mary
Michael, of Monroe county, Pennsylvania,
April 19, 1819. James Stark served as a
soldier in the war of 1812. (See Hayden's
"Genealogical and Family History of the
Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Penn-
sylvania," vol. I, p. 540). James Stark be-
came one of the most prominent business
men of his time. He accumulated a large
landed estate, which represented hundreds
of acres of anthracite coal worth millions
of money. This valuable property at his
death was devised to his family, the children
of some of whom still live to enjoy the
patrimony of a grandparent who prospered,
became wealthy, and left a record for hon-
esty, industry and thrift to his descendants.

which is worthy of emulation. James Stark
died February 3, 1856, and now reposes in
Hollenback Cemetery.

John M. Stark, father of Lydia (Stark)
Mosier, was born in Plains township, Lu-
zerne county, Pennsylvania, February 23,
1819, and on October 16, 1841, was married
to Sarah Davidson, daughter of Morris
Davidson and Ann Davidson, both natives
of Sussex county. New Jersey. Ann David-
son, mother of Sarah (Davidson) Stark,
was related to the Morgan family of New
Jersey, one of whose kinsmen was General
Daniel Morgan, of Virginia, a comrade in
arms of Washington in the Colonial and
Revolutionary wars.

John M. Stark was a man of prominence,
noted for his firmness, integrity, self-reli-
ance and industry. For a number of years
he was superintendent of one of the divi-
sions of the North Branch of the Pennsyl-
vania Canal. This position he resigned to
accept a more responsible one with the
Pennsylvania Coal Company, of which John
B. Smith, of Dunmore, Pennsylvania, was
general manager, and between these two
men of the old school ties of friendship ex-
isted long after John M. Stark retired from
the employ of the great coal company, which
will always remain an enduring monument
to the management and executive ability of
John B. Smith, one of the best known pio-
neer coal men of northeastern Pennsylvania.

During John M. Stark's active life he
made careful investments in arthracite coal
lands, and the rentals therefrom enabled
him before his death to make a large dis-
tribution of his property among his children.

John M. Stark was proud of the record
of his family, for a forefather fought under
Washington in the War of the Revolution,
and the name of a kinsman, Aaron Stark, is
inscribed on the Wyoming Battle Monu-
ment, over the immortal words: "Dulce et
decorum est pro patria mori." (See Brads-
by's "History of Luzerne County," p. 121).

During all the wars of the American Re-
public, the Stark family have maintained




i.i... .Visl«r.,ca; Puh Co




record for patriotism, not often excelled.
General John Stark, of New Hampshire, a
name famous in the annals of the Revolu-
tion, who commanded a brigade at Bunker
Hill, fought under Washington at Trenton
and Princeton, heroically led the Green
Mountain boys at Bennington, and achieved
a providential victory for the American
cause, came of the same English line of an-
cestry as the Stark family of the Wyoming
Valley. (See Hawthorne's "United States,"
vol. 2, pp. 512-17-22-31. etc.; Bradsby"s
"History of Luzerne County," p. 357).

In the armed conflict with Mexico which
secured the acquisition of immense terri-
tory to the American Union, his brother,
George H. Stark, served as a sergeant in
Captain Ogier's Company H, 4th Regiment
Louisiana \'olunteers. and on July 29. 1846,
by order of General Taylor, was honorably
discharged at Matamoras. On July 30,
1846, he reenlisted and became a non-com-
missioned officer in Captain Blanchard's
(Phoenix) company, Regiment, Louisi-
ana Volunteers, and by order of Major-
General Scott was honorably discharged at
New Orleans, May 15, 1847. On soldier's
discharge the following is endorsed : "Said
G. II. Stark participated in the storming of
Monterey and also the bombardment of
\'era Cruz, and acquitted himself gallantly
in both engagements."

In the war inaugurated for the destruc-
tion of the American Union, his son, George
M. Stark, on August 21, 1862, enlisted in
Schooley's Independent Battery, recruited
in Pittston by Lieutenant U. S. Cook, for-
merly principal of the Pittston high school,
who prevailed upon many of his scholars to
volunteer in defense of their country's flag.
As soon as Schooley's command was mus-
tered into service it was assigned to garrison
duty at Fort Delaware, in the State of Dela-
ware, where on October 17, 1862, the
scholarly Cook died. After his death the
battery was ordered to Washington, D. C,
and became Battery M, 2nd Heavy Artil-
lery, iT2th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volun-

teers, and for a time remained on guard at
Fort Lincoln. At midnight on May 3, 1864,
the Army of the Potomac moved out of its
winter cantonments on the Rapidan and be-
gan its last campaign against the Army of
Northern Virginia, strongly intrenched,
ready for battle. The advance of Grant's
troops against the positions held by the Con-
federates under Lee was stubbornly contest-
ed, and thousands of brave men were killed,
wounded or burned up in the battles which
raged for weeks in the Virginia wilderness,
with a fierceness unparalleled in the annals
of war. On May 27, 1864, the 2nd Penn-
sylvania Heavy Artillery was ordered to
the Army of the Potomac. In the early
dawn of June 5, 1864, the regiment rein-
forced the Army of the Potomac at Cold
Harbor, and was immediately formed in
line of battle to charge the Confederate in-
trenchments. After the repulse at Cold
Harbor, the 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Ar-
tillery, on the night of June 12, 1864, under
a ceaseless fire of musketry and artillery,
silently moved out of the Union trenches to
the road in the rear, when the command in
a low voice passed along the line, "Double
up, double-quick, march," which order was
strictly obeyed until the White House Land-
ing on the Pamunky river, twenty-two miles
away, was reached. At the battle of the
Crater, on the morning of July 30, 1864, the
2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery stood in
line of battle ready for the order to charge
into the bloody vortex of death, in which
more than four thousand comrades fell.
For seventy-two days this brave Pennsyl-
vania regiment lay in the advance line of
trenches, exposed to the incessant fire of the
enemy day and night, enduring much suf-

On September 29, 1864, occurred the bat-
tle of Chapin's Farm, fought by a part of
the Army of the James, under ]\Iajor-Gen-
eral Edward O. C. Ord, and was in reality
a number of desperate charges against the
intrenched and strongly fortified positions
of the enemy. The first assault was direct-



ed against Battery Harrison, mounted with
sixteen pieces of heavy artillery, which was
successfully made. In this charge General
Ord was wounded, and Brigadier-General
Burnham, who led the storming columns,
mortally wounded.

In the same chain of defenses on the right
of Battery Harrison, was Fort Gilmer, the
key to Richmond, which was next assaulted,
first by two divisions of the loth Corps,
Army of the James, in succession.

After the battle of Chapin's Farm, George
M. Stark was appointed orderly to Major-
General Godfrey Weitzel (one of the great-
est compliments to bestow upon a soldier),
commander of the 25th Army Corps, Army
of the James, the first troops to enter Rich-
mond after its capture by the Union army
at whose head on the eventful 3rd day of
April, 1865, rode Weitzel, his staff and
young Stark.

With the surrender of the Army of North-
<;rn Virginia, on April 9, 1865, the slave-
holders' rebellion came to a righteous end.
In the early summer of 1865 the surviving
heroes of the 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Ar-
tillery, with battle flags riddled with shot
and shell, returned to their homes and fire-
sides, and with them came George M. Stark,
who became one of the leading business men
of the Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania. He
died July 27, 1895, at his summer home near
Dallas, Pennsylvania, leaving surviving him
his wife, Albertine Brace Stark. George
M. Stark is buried in the historic Forty Fort
Cemetery, near the site of the old fort, from
which his Revolutionary kinsman, Aaron
Stark, marched forth to battle and to death
on the memorable 3rd day of July, 1778.

The following brothers of John M. Stark
also served in the Civil War: William S.
Stark, in the 52nd Pennsylvania Infantry;
George H. Stark (Mexican War Veteran),
in the 177th Pennsylvania Infantry, and
Henry W. Stark, in Captain Hileman's com-
pany, of the 19th Pennsylvania Infantry.
Charles H. Flagg married his sister, Mary
Jane Stark, and became captain of Com-

pany K, 142nd Regiment Pennsylvania \'oI-
unteers, made up of Pittston, Pennsylvania,
men, which he led into action at Fredericks-
burg, December 13, 1862, and with Meade's
Division (Pennsylvania Reserves), in which
were Sinclair's, Jackson's and Magilton's
brigades, courageously, in a terrific storm
of shot and shell, charged the Confederate
entrenchments on the Heights of Fred-
ericksburg, defended by General A. P. Hill's
division of Stonewall Jackson's corps. Dur-
ing Hooker's campaign he was again under
fire at Chancellorsville, where the Army of
the Potomac met with disaster and defeat,
after which there followed, in the rapid
march of events, the invasion of Pennsyl-
vania, one of the most perilous epochs in
our country's history. Captain Flagg was
a Pennsylvanian by adoption, and gallantly
served as an aide on the staff of Brigadier-
General Thomas A. Rowley, who command-
ed the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, of the ist
Army Corps, at Gettysburg. The 142nd
Pennsylvania Volunteers fought in Row-
ley's brigade, and bravely helped to drive
the rebel invaders oft" the soil of Pennsyl-

John M. Stark died at his residence in
Wyoming, Pennsylvania, March 14, 1896.
Sarah (Davidson) Stark, his wife, died at
her summer home at Lake Carey, Pennsyl-
vania, September 9, i8g8. Both are buried
in Hollenback Cemetery.

Lydia Ellen Stark was bom in Plains
township, Luzerne county. Pennsylvania,
May 19, 1851.

Ruth Mosier, only child of Frank C.
Mosier and Lydia Ellen (Stark) Mosier,
born April 2, 1893, died December 16, 1901.
On the base of the Italian marble statue
which marks her grave in Hollenback Ceme-
tery are the inspired words: "Heavenly
Bells are calling me now,'' which were
found after her death among her child
treasures, written in her own hand.

Frank C. Mosier is a Mason, and belongs
to St. John's Lodge, F. and A. M., Pittston,
Pennsylvania ; Pittston Cliapter, Royal Arch



Masons ; Wyoming Valley Commandery,
Knights Templar, Pittston, Pennsylvania
(of which he is past commander);
Irem Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. (Mystic
Shrine j, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania; and
Keystone Consistory, S. P. R. S., 32iid de-
gree, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of
Freemasonry, Northern Jurisdiction, United
States of America.

Frank C. Alosier is of the Democratic
faith, and believes that a sound democracy
is the one substructure of this, the greatest
government on earth, and favors the enact-
ment of laws that will benefit all the people,
promote everlasting tranquility and con-
tinued prosperity throughout the length and
breadth of the Union. He has often been
called upon to address the surviving soldiers
of the Civil War, and his utterances have al-
ways commanded respectful attention Upon
the occasion of the Fortieth Annual Reunion
of the 143rd Pennsylvania Volunteers, Sep-
tember II, 1906, General J. Madison Drake
(died November 28, 1913), one of New
Jersey's most gallant soldiers, and Historian
of the Army and Navy Medal of Honor
Legion of the United States, was a promi-
nent speaker and subsequently wrote Com-
rade Mosier that the address delivered by
him at the reunion ought to be published,
and the same appeared at length in The
Elizabeth (New Jersey) Sunday Leader, of
which General Drake was editor; and the
address, with General Drake's very compli-
mentary letter, was given a prominent place
in "New England Families" (vol. iv), Lewis
Historical Publishing Company, New York.

!\Ir. Mosier was a participant in the na-
tional reunion of the survivors of the Blue
and Gray, on the occasion of the semi-cen-
tennial anniversary of the battle of Gettys-
burg, on that famous field in July, 191 3. He
was encamped with his comrades there, and
on July 2nd delivered a patriotic address at
the base of the National Soldiers' Monu-
ment on Cemetery Hill, at the forty-seventh
annual reunion of the 143d Pennsylvania

Note. — A large portion of the foregoing
excellent narrative is from "Colonial and
Revolutionary Families of Pennsylvania"
(John W. Jordan, LL. D., Librarian of
Pennsylvania Historical Society, Philadel-
phia), Lewis Hist. Pub. Co.. New York,

DeLACY, Captain Patrick,

Disting^nislied Soldier, Honored Citizen.

In reviewing the brilliant military career
of Captain Patrick DeLacy, of Scranton,
the writer (himself a civil war veteran, but
who never met that distinguished soldier),
recalls the famous Lever, whose masterly
pen portraiture of typical soldiers of the
Napoleonic era has never ceased to be the
delight of lovers of military literature.
Captain DeLacy was such a figure as Lever
has depicted, so far as soldierlike qualities
go, but he fought in a nobler cause than did
any of the great novelist's heroes, and hence
had loftier ideals and higher inspiration.
He was one of the real heroes of the civil
war. He was a daring soldier, a faithful
comrade, a merciful and sympathetic enemy.
He was as fearless in saving a wounded
comrade in the foremost battle line, as he
was in charging upon the enemy's works,
and more than one soldier owes his life
to his devotion and intrepidity. He came
of a race of soldiers. Count Peter DeLacy,
from whom Captain DeLacy is a lineal de-
scendant, was a field marshal under the
great Empress Catherine of Russia, and
there were other warlike DeLacys as far
back as the eleventh century. John DeLacy,
an uncle of Captain DeLacy, fought under
Wellington at Waterloo, and left a leg on
that historic field. In Ireland, the DeLacys
were prominently identified with the rebell-
ion in 1798.

His parents, William DeLacy and Cath-
erine (Boyle) DeLacy, were natives re-
spectively, of county Wexford and Kil-
kenny, Ireland, and were united in marriage
in Carbondale, Pennsylvania, August I,



1832, where the subject of this sketch was
born November 25, 1835. When he was
nine years of age, his parents removed to
Daleville, a small hamlet in Luzerne county,
Pennsylvania, where his father purchased
a tract of land and became one of the most
prosperous fanners of Covington township.
His son Patrick remained at home and
worked on the farm and attended district
school in a log school house during the
winter until he was about eighteen years old.
when he entered the employ of John Mee-
han, a neighbor who owned a large tannery,
to learn the trade of a tanner. Shortly after
this in the spring of 1853, '^^ work of
building the Delaware, Lackawanna &
Western railroad from Scranton, Pennsyl-
vania, to New York began. The line of this
future great road ran close by the tannery,
which induced William Dale and John Mee-
han to establish a large general store near
the Meehan tannery, of which young De-
Lacy had charge ; he was also employed as
a clerk in the Dale & Meehan store.

On January 9, 1858, he was married to
Rebecca E. Wonders, daughter of Jere-
miah and Sarah A. Wonders of Wyoming,
Luzerne county, Pennsylvania. Shortly
after his marriage. Jay Gould, who after-
wards became a noted financier and great
railroad magnate, offered him the position
of superintendent of the large tannery at
Gouldsboro, in the Pocono mountains of
Pennsylvania, then a wilderness with only
a few log cabins, the habitations of the
pioneer settler, hunter and trapper. The
oflfer of Jay Gould was accepted condition-
ally; that is to say, if the young wife of Mr.
DeLacy would consent to going to Goulds-
boro to reside; this Mrs. DeLacy refused
to do, which decision lost for Gould a good
man who might have been one of his most
trusted lieutenants in years to come.

In 1 861 Mr. DeLacy was foreman of the
Hull tannery, at Bushkill, Pike county
Pennsylvania, and being popular with the
men employed under him, raised a company
of volunteers among the loyal people of

Pike and Monroe counties, Pennsylvania,
whose services after enrollment were not
needed, which compelled the disbandment
of the company. After this, Mr. DeLacy
removed to Trucksville, Luzerne county,
Pennsylvania, and leased the Rice tannery,
and resumed the manufacture of leather,
a business in which one of our country's
greatest soldiers was engaged when he un-
sheathed his sword on the side of the Union.

In the summer of 1862, when the dread
tocsin of Civil War again sounded in the val-
leys, reverberated among the hills and rolled
over the mountains of old Luzerne, this
sturdy descendant of brave Celtic ancestors,
whose names are famous in Irish history,
enlisted as a private in Colonel Edmund
L. Dana's 143rd Regiment of Pennsylvania
Volunteers, at Camp Luzerne, in the Wyom-
ing Valley, and on November 7th, 1862,
with one thousand brave comrades, broke
camp and marched to join the army of the
Potomac, in whose serried columns it
fought under the battle flags of Hooker,
Meade and Grant. The 143rd Pennsylvania
Volunteers is famous in history as one of
"Foxe's Fighting Three Hundred Reg-
iments," whose losses on the field of battle
exceeded those of all others. In this superb
command Captain DeLacy was honored as
one of the bravest of the brave, sharing
in every battle and skirmish. Soon after
enlistment, he was made a corporal, and
shortly afterwards was promoted to ser-
geant. During the greater part of the
bloody campaign in the Wilderness, he was
in actual command of Company A (though
ranking only as sergeant) by reason of
casualties to the commissioned officers.

A dramatic incident of the terrific fight-
ing was a hand-to-hand fight with a division
of Longstreet's corps, one of the fiercest
struggles of the war. The enemy had taken
a line of works and Captain DeLacy led a
charge for their recover^'. The opposing
forces fought desperately backwards and
forwards over the works. At a critical
moment the Union troops were driven back




from the works, and over the open held
which they had a few minutes before
charged across. A gallant Confederate
bearing the Stars and Bars was in the fore-
front of the counter-charge, and seemed to
bear a charmed life. Captain DeLacy was
within twenty-five yards of him, and, see-
ing the necessity of the moment, determined
upon the capture of the flag, and rushed
for it, between both lines of fire, his clothing
being scorched from both sides, but he
marvellously escaping injury. He left the
gallant flag bearer on the field, returning
with the flag, and the act marked the final
repulse of the enemy. For this act of signal
bravery Captain DeLacy was later awarded
the famous Congressional Medal of Hono; .
He received on the field promotion to the
rank of sergeant-major, the highest non-
commissioned rank.

To recount all the heroic deeds of this
gallant officer would require a volume to
itself, and mention can be made only of the
most important. In June, 1864, he was
sent to hospital on account of an injury to
the knee in a forced night march against
Petersburg. He remained there only one
night, and despite the orders of the sur-
geon he rejoined his regiment, though very
lame. In the absence of commissioned of-
ficers he resumed command of Company A,
on the right of the regiment, and took part
in what Colonel Chamberlain, brigade com-
mander (and who was desperately wounded
in the affair), pronounced to be "one of the
finest charges of their career." The gallant
command was suffering as much (perhaps
more) from a Union battery in its rear
than it was from the enemy's fire. Twice
Captain DeLacy passed over the ground be-
tween the two lines, receiving fire from
both — once to bring succor to the LTnion
wounded, and again to find the division
commander, to explain the situation and re-
ceive orders. Some days later, he aided in
the repulse of a desperate charge by a Mis-
sissippi brigade, and was told by a captured
rebel, "My God, you have annihilated our

best brigade — the only one that would vol-
unteer to charge on you." On another oc-
casion he penetrated the enemy's lines in
the dark, in company with a comrade, and
brought back valuable information, to his
brigade commander.

The 143rd Pennsylvania Infantry was
brigaded with the Iron Brigade, commanded
by Brigadier-General Edward S. Bragg,
which was attached to the 3rd Division of
the 5th Corps. After the engagement at
Dabney's Mills, February 6th, 1865, which
was its last battle, Hon. Edwin M. Stanton,
Secretary of War, issued a complimentary
order to the Iron Brigade then on the battle
line, as follows, "This Brigade is hereby re-
lieved from further duty at the front, for
long continued and meritorious service."
About the last of February, 1865, the Iron
Brigade received marching orders to report
at Grant's headquarters, where this brave
body of battle-scarred veteran troops, made
up of eight regiments of infantry were
separated and specially detailed for guard
duty at rebel prisons north of Mason and
Dixon's line. Captain DeLacy's regiment
was ordered to Hart Island, in New York
Harbor, where upwards of four thousand
Confederate prisoners of war, (mostly
North Carolinians) were confined. While
serving his country at Hart Island, Sergeant
DeLacy was promoted to second lieutenant,
and was further recommended for promo-
tion to a captaincy, but before a commission
could issue, the regiment was mustered out
of service. A tribute paid to him by Colonel
Charles M. Conyngham, of the 143rd Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, epitomizes what w^ls
said of him by many superior officers and
comrades, who had personal knowledge of
his sterling value and heroic services: "I
look upon Captain DeLacy as one of the
most gallant men that ever wore a uniform,
under any flag in the wide world. His cool-
ness in danger, his sound military judg-
ment, and especially his perception of the
right thing to do under any circumstances,
always made a wonderfully impression upon



me. Had circumstances been more favor-
able for bringing Captain DeLacy into pub-
lic notice, I am satisfied he would have made
a military record for himself second to no
one's. Whether for military or civil trust,
I can' most heartily endorse my friend Cap-
tain DeLacy." General Joshua L. Cham-
berlain expressed himself similarly, and
warmly recommended the captain for pro-
motion to major.

Upon the night of the assassination of
President Lincoln, Captain DeLacy was
officer of the guard, and remained on duty
until nine o'clock of the morning of April
15th, 1865. Captain DeLacy, soon after
sunrise on the forenoon of that sad day,
was on his way to the officers' mess, and be-
fore he arrived there he heard the rumor
that Lincoln had been shot, and after pro-
curing a copy of the "New York Herald,"
he returned to the rebel camp, and with a
young Confederate drummer boy, went to
the middle of the prison campus and
ordered him to beat the assembly, which
aroused the camp, and soon he was sur-
rounded by acres of men, and there on a
box he announced the death of the nation's
great War President, and read an account
of the same from the columns of the news-
paper, which he still keeps as a sacred
memento of one of the most mournful
events in American history. After the Cap-

Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 58)