John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Encyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) online

. (page 9 of 58)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 9 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the employ of W. J. Daub, with whom he
remained for a year and a half. In 1891

he removed to Belvidere, New Jersey,
vi'here with his brother, Henry D., he en-
tered into the wholesale and retail furniture
business, being successfully engaged in that
for nine years. In 1901 he came to Bangor^
and began the manufacture of tall clock
cases and piano trusses, in addition to the
slate industry. In this he was associated
with J. S. Moyer, but the slate work proved
detrimental to the wood working business
of Mr. Deshler, and in the following year
(1902) he built and equipped his present
plant. He uses a forty-two horse-power
engine, together with a sixty horse-power
boiler, and thirty-seven men are employed
in the works. The business herein con-
ducted amounts to $30,000 per annum, and
the capacity will allow an increase to $75,-
000. Already Mr. Deshler has become
widely known as the proprietor of this
manufactory, and is building up a business
which is increasing steadily to a most grati-
fying extent.

Mr. Deshler does not, however, confine
his attention wholly to this work, for he is
also a large stockholder in the Pahaquarry
Copper Company. The properties of the
corporation comprise fee-simple title to
1,602 acres of valuable copper lands in
Pahaquarry township, Warren county,
New Jersey, more than three and one-half
miles in length, and with an average width
of about a half a mile. The many copper
bearing veins run the entire length of the
property, outcropping nearly five hundred
feet above the Delaware river, at an angle
of forty-five degrees. Calculations show
fifteen or sixteen million tons of ore, con-
taining nearly four million pounds of cop-
per, without going below the water level.
The mines were rudely developed by the
Dutch and Indians as early as 1660, and the
product was carried over a wagon road cut
through the forest for more than one hun-
dred miles to Esopus (now Kingston),
whence it was shipped to Holland for treat-
ment. The mines were purchased by the
Allegheny Mining Company in 1862, but


(9r^-<%^i. .


were not adequately worked, and were sub-
sequently abandoned. In recent years it
was discovered that the mines had been
worked only to a limited extent, and that
they still contained an abundance of ore — in
fact, a greater quantity than had ever been
dreamed of. In 1902 the property was
purchased by Mr. Deshler and his brother,
Henry D. Deshler, who are the largest
stockholders in the Pahaquarry Copper
Company, of which O. R. Deshler is presi-
dent, and H. D. Deshler is secretary. They
erected buildings and installed a new plant
with a capacity of two hundred tons per
diem, having the same completed before the
expiration of 1904. The Pahaquarry Copper
Company also owns in fee simple two hun-
dred and fifty acres of valuable mineral
property on the east slope of Blue Moun-
tain, near the great offset at Tott's Gap,
Pennsylvania, which contains well defined
veins of gold and silver bearing rock assay-
ing from a few dollars to $36 per ton — the
same class of rock as is found at Leadville,
Colorado. A tunnel of one hundred and
forty feet was driven across several veins,
and the property developed.

On November 12, 1881, occurred the
marriage of Mr. Deshler and Miss Carrie
A. Balliet, who was born September 26,
1863, in Emaus, Lehigh county, Pennsyl-
vania. To them have been born eight chil-
dren : I. George Oliver, born May 12, 1884.

2. Harry Herbert, born January 9, 1886.

3. May Knauss, born November 22, 1887,
died April 28, 1892. 4. Edna Naoma, born
June 19, 1890. 5. Walter Balliet, born
May 13, 1892. 6. Ruth Olive, born March
27, 1894. 7. Dorothy Elbertha, born July
29, 1896. 8. Beatrice Ellen, born August
16, 1899.

Mr. Deshler is a member of Belvidere
Lodge, I. O. O. F., also belongs to the en-
campment, and is a past chief officer in both
branches. He is likewise a member of the
grand lodge of the State of New Jersey,
and holds membership relation with the

Woodmen. He stands to-day as one of the
representative business men of Northamp-
ton county — strong in his honor and good
name, strong to plan and to perform, and
now successfully controlling interests of
considerable magnitude in the business

THOMSON, Wilmer Worthington,

Journalist, Artist.

Wilmer Worthington Thomson, editor of
the "Daily Local News," West Chester,
Pennsylvania, was born March 26, 1842,
in Willistown township. His parents, Aaron
B. and Harriet (Evans) Thomson, were
also born in the same township, and his
paternal grandparents, David Thomson and
Phebe Thomas, were natives of Chester

Aaron B. Thomson was educated in the
common schools, but he was taught so
thoroughly and added so largely to his
knowledge through private studies, that he
became a well equipped teacher and gave
his long life most usefully to school work
in Chester county, and almost to the time
of his death, at the age of eighty-two years.
To him were born four children, of whom
three were also teachers for longer or
shorter periods.

1. Joseph Addison Thomson, who, after
teaching school for some years, entered the
consular service in Washington City. In
1870 he became editor of the "Chester
News." He subsequently returned to ac-
cept appointment as postmaster at Media,
and died while occupying that position. He
married Rebecca L. Owen, and they be-
came the parents of one son and three
daughters, all of whom are living except
one daughter.

2. Mary Emma was also a teacher prior
to her marriage to John O. K. Robarts, of
Phcenixville, editor of "The Messenger."
To them were born three children, of whom
one is living.



3. Milton Wilson Thomson, deceased,
was a teacher for many years and afterward
a machinist in the PhcEnixville Iron Works.
He married Emaline Wersler, and they be-
came the parents of six children.

4. Wilmer Worthington Thomson was
educated in the public schools and labored
for a time in the iron works in Phoenixville.
Circumstances, however, soon led to the
profession in which he found his life work.
While yet a workman in the iron works he
wrote correspondence for county papers,
and he also published an advertising sheet,
"Everybody's Business," having the print-
ing done in Philadelphia, and distributing
the paper himself in Phoenixville and Potts-
town. This paper was discontinued after
a year, and Mr. Thomson then began the
publication of the "Weekly Legal Tender"
at Phoenixville, a local sheet, which was
continued for one year. Somewhat latei
he took up correspondence for the "West
Chester Jeffersonian," and six months after-
ward (in August, 1871,) became local editor
of the paper, a position which he rehn-
quished in the following year to assist in
founding the journal with which he has
since been uninterruptedly connected.

The germ of the "Daily Local News" was
the publication by Mr. Thomson of the
"Daily Institute News," during the five
days session of the Teachers' County In-
stitute in the early fall of 1872. This was
a small four-page sheet issued each morn-
ing, containing the program for the day,
and several columns of local news, with
some advertisements. The little journal,
which was distributed free, met with such
favor in the eyes of the business community,
as well as of the teachers, and its discon-
tinuance when the occasion for its publi-
cation had ended, evoked such expressions
of regret, that Mr. Thomson was en-
couraged to essay the introduction of the
"Daily Local News," in association with
Mr. William H. Hodgson, its publisher.
The first issue on November 19, 1872, was

a diminutive four column folio with a page
size of I2j^ by 8% inches. The enterprise
was entered upon without solicitation of a
subscription or an advertisement, and the
first two issues were distributed gratui-
tously. It is not the province of the writer
of these pages to present a history of the
journal which had so modest a beginning.
Suffice it to say that it steadily grew in
favor, soon acquiring a large patronage and
making repeated enlargements, until it has
long been known as one of the most im-
portant journals in the State, outside the
great financial and commercial centers. It
has steadfastly adhered to the principles
which actuated its coming into existence —
that of being fair and liberal to all parties,
sects and creeds. This policy has found
appreciation in such generous patronage
that the paper was long since obliged to in-
stall a plant of metropolitan pattern and
extent, with perfecting presses, linotype
machines, and a complete stereotyping out-
fit. It is of interest to note in this connec-
tion that this was the first inland newspaper
in the United States to call to its service
a perfecting press. Through all these years
from its initial number to the present time,
Messrs. Hodgson and Thomson have been
the sole conductors of "The News." The
former named in the capacity of proprietor
and the latter named in that of editor.

A facile and forceful writer, Mr. Thom-
son has not confined his labors to his own
newspaper, but has been an industrious con-
tributor to various other journals. For a
long time he was local correspondent for
the "New York Herald," and he was for
twenty-two years correspondent for the
"Philadelphia Times," and for eleven years
for the "Philadelphia Ledger." For
several years past he has been the local
correspondent for the "Philadelphia North-
American" and "Philadelphia Inquirer,"
and he has been the West Chester repre-
sentative of the Associated Press and "The
Philadelphia Evening Telegraph" for


s PucUshui^ Co



several years past. He gave evidence of
artistic taste in liis early youth, and later
in life became a pupil of Carl Weber. Paint-
ing in oil and water colors is his favorite
I)ursuit in leisure hours, and his works have
long been in demand for presentation pur-

Mr. Thomson enlisted in the Civil War,
May 20, 1861, as a musician in the Phoenix
Military Band of Phcenixville, and served
through the first three months service
period. In 1862 he became chief clerk to
Captain John F. Hazleton, A. Q. M., Sec-
ond Brigade. Third Division, Third Army
Corps, (later of the Sixth Corps), and for
several months was chief clerk to Captain
McKee, C. S., of same brigade. In 1864
he was given the position of roll clerk to
Captain J. C. Mann, Post A. Q. M.. at
Winchester, Virginia, and remained in that
position until May 24, 1865, when the cler-
ical corps was disbanded at Camp Stone-
man, near Washington. Immediately fol-
lowing his discharge there, he was appointed
chief clerk to Major Forsythe, on General
Kirkpatrick's staff, then preparing to go to
Texas, but sickness interfered and he was
released from his obligation.

Mr. Thomson was married to Miss
Frances O. Wilson, daughter of Alexander
Wilson, of Newark, New Jersey, who was
a merchant, at one time a member of the
legislature, and at the time of his death was
connected with the New York City post-
ofiice. Mrs. Thomson was educated in the
public and select schools in Newark, and
in the Somerville (New Jersey) Seminary.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Thom-
son were: i. Nellie G., who became the
wife of Charles H. Morgan (now de-
ceased), of West Chester; children:
Francis W., Donald T. 2. Elizabeth Wil-
son, at home with parents. 3. William
Hodgson, on reportorial staff of "Daily
Local News" ; married ; children : Marian
Lewis, Wilmer W., Robert A., Osborne. 4.
Rachel P. Thomson, at home with parents.

FIELD, George B. Wood,

Physician, Professional Instructor and

Dr. George B. Wood Field is a represent-
ative of a family, members of which, in
several generations, have attained eminence
in the medical profession.

Richard Field, grandfather of George
Bacon Wood Field, was boni in England,
and was a student of Sir Astley Cooper;
also a graduate of the University of Lon-
don, and a member of tlie Royal College of
Surgeons of England.

Cridland Crocker Field, son of Dr. Rich-
ard Field, was bom February 18, 1817, on
board the ship "Ann," on her arrival from
England, within the bounds of Queens
county. New York. In his name was in-
corporated that of Captain Crocker, who
commanded the vessel, and who covered him
with the American flag. The family settled
in Philadelphia, where the lad received an
excellent education. After completing his
literary studies he read medicine under the
tutelage of Dr. William E. Horner, and
later entered the University of Pennsyl-
vania, graduating in 1837 with the degree of
Doctor of Medicine. The following year
he opened an office at Bethlehem, and after
a short time removed to Easton, where he
practiced his profession almost uninter-
ruptedly for fifty years, attaining special
eminence as a surgeon. He married Susan-
nah, daughter of Jacob and Susan Free-
man, and the following children were bom
to them: William Gibson; Emma, wife of
Dr. R. W. Amidon, of New York City;
Belle, wife of Henry D. Carryl, also of New
York City ; E. Horner, and Charles, de-
ceased ; George Bacon Wood, mentioned
below ; and Benjamin Rush, a sketch of
whom appears elsewhere in this work. Dr.
Field, the father, died December 3, 1886,
widely and sincerely lamented, both as an
able and conscientious physician, and sur-
geon, and a public-spirited citizen.



George Bacon Wood Field, son of Crid-
land Crocker and Susannah (Freeman)
Field, was born February i, 1859, in
Easton, Pennsylvania, and received his
preparatory education in the public schools
of his native city, graduating in 1876.
Choosing as his life work the profession in
which numbers of his ancestors had gained
distinction, he began a course of medical
study under the preceptorship of his father,
later entering the Medical Department of
the University of Pennsylvania, from which
institution he graduated in 1881, receiving
the award of distinguished merit for his
graduation thesis. While a student at the
university he founded the H. C. Wood Med-
ical Society, an organization which has since
grown to be one of the most powerful among
the students' societies. After graduating. Dr.
Field at once entered upon the practice of
his profession, which he has continued to
the present time. Second only to his enr
thusiasm for his chosen profession is his
devotion to music, his talent for which de-
veloped at a very early age, and to the study
of which he has given all the time consistent
with due attention to his professional duties.
Music has been all his life his great delight
and recreation and he enjoys the friendship
of many world-famous artists.

As a loyal son of Easton, Dr. Field has
ever given his lively interest and hearty co-
operation to all projects for the welfare and
progress of his native city, and is a member
of its board of trade. He is a fellow of the
American Medical Association and a mem-
ber of the State and County Medical So-
cieties, and affiliates with the Chi Phi fra-
ternity. His political associations are with
the Democratic party and he is a member of
the Protestant Episcopal church.

Dr. Field is the author of "Contributions
to the Physiology of the Spinal Cord and
Adjacent Parts," and has contributed
articles to the "Journal of Nervous and
Mental Diseases," and the "Journal of

Dr. Fields married, April 24, 1883, Mar-

garet Alice Pyatt, and they have been the
parents of two children: Cridland Crocker,
who died August 9, 1901, and Margaret
Susan, who survives. As a citizen. Dr.
Field has labored for reform and good
government. As a physician, his record is
worthy of a representative of a family the
name of which, "on both sides of the sea,"
is synonymous with distinction in the med-
ical profession.

McCAUSLAND, William Clifton,

IT. S. Steel Company Official.

Pittsburgh is perpetual. The Iron City
has within her the germs of age-long growth
and endurance. From base to capital her
wealth is real because it is the product of the
brains and ability of real men, — men of the
type of William Clifton McCausland, treas-
urer of the Carnegie Steel Company and
officially connected with other industrial and
financial organizations. Mr. McCausland
has been, thus far, a life-long resident of his
native city and is prominently associated
with her most essential interests.

Mr. McCausland's ancestors belonged to
the Clan MacAuslane, of Glenduglas, Scot-
land, some of whom migrated to Ireland in
the time of James the First, served in the
army of Ireland before 1649, ^"^ settled in
Tyrone. There was also a branch which
emigrated to Ireland in the time of James
VI., from the ancient Scottish house of
MacAuslane, (or the son of Auslane), of
Buchanan. The family has representatives
at present in the nobility of Ireland and
possesses large estates. The coat-of-arms
are: Or, a boar's head erased between
three boars passant az. armed or. langued
gu. and charged with a crescent of the sec-
ond. Motto: Virtus sola nobilitas.

Sometime during the latter part of the
seventeenth century, the exact period not
known, there came to Carlisle, Pennsylva-
nia, a stranger, John McCausland by name,
fresh from the classic grounds of old Glas-
gow, Scotland, highly equipped and finely



qualified as an educator of youth. In his
personal appearance he was above the aver-
age stature, a noble specimen of a Scottish-
Irishman, a man of fine manners and ad-
dress. He found a vacancy at Carlisle in
the line of his purpose, as an educator,
where he was soon installed and actively
engaged in his business. The unsettled and
demoralized condition of the country at
that period of our history superinduced by
the long oppression of the colonies by the
Mother Country in her cruel and unjust
exactions, together with the severe struggle
of the Revolution for our liberty and inde-
pendence, made the schoolmaster quite an
important factor in the upbuilding of our
nation and country, and hence at this time
there was quite a demand for well qualified
men for the high schools springing up
everywhere, and Carlisle soon found a rival
for her prince of the birch rod. Staunton,
Virginia, had heard of his fame and put in
a strong call and such inducements as
caused him to remove thither with his fam-
ily, consisting of three children, a son and
two daughters — James, Elizabeth and Patsy
— he being a widower at the time. James,
the son, remained in Cumberland county,
having married a wife there. Elizabeth
married a Mr. Hugh Glenn, a farmer; and
Patsy, who was reputed to be peerless for
her queenly beauty and dignity, married a
Captain Samuel Frame, one of the "upper
ten," a wealthy farmer, by which marriage
they had two daughters ; the first born, Mal-
vina, seemed to have inherited all the moth-
er's grace and beauty at her maturity, and
married a Colonel Cheatwood, of Ken-
tucky, a distinguished lawyer, and with her
younger sister left for that state. Mrs.
Hugh Glenn raised a family, the elder, a son
George, seeming to inherit largely the taste
and talent of the grandfather for literary
pursuits. After maturing he engaged in
the mercantile business and married a wife,
a Miss Polly Anderson. They had one
child as the result of their marriage, and
named him after his grandfather, Hugh

Glenn. During his minority his father mi-
grated to Paris, Pike county, Missouri, and
after the education of his boy he prepared
him for the medical profession. The boy,
however, had some wild oats to sow, and as
a starting point arranged an expedition with
others across the plains on the old Santa
Fe route to Mexico, which proved a success,
and thus encouraged, he tried a second and
third, and so on until he became quite a
mark for the marauding Indian parties who
infested the country and lived by murdering
and plundering the traders. He had some
very narrow, indeed miraculous, escapes of
his life. He concluded to stop oiT on that
line and try something else. In the mean-
time he had married a wife, in pursuance of
a school boy arrangement and left her at his
father's, in Missouri, while he proceeded
to sow out his stock of wild oats. His next
enterprise was to purchase a large body of
the. fine wheat raising land in California,
and turned his attention to wheat growing
in which he seemed remarkably successful.
In the year 1876 he had some forty-five
thousand acres sowed in wheat, independent
of what he realized from a ranch he had be-
come the owner of in Nebraska, and also
another in Oregon, which was under the
management of his son. He shipped his
wheat direct to England. About this time
he was taken up by one of the parties as a
candidate for governor of California,
against his wish, and was only defeated by
a small majority. About this time there was-
a palatial mansion with beautifully laid out
and decorated grounds, the fancy castle of
some foreigner, put on the market for sale.
It had cost some hundred thousand dollars,
and Dr. Glenn became the purchaser, for
some fifty thousand dollars, and christened
it "Glenn Wood."

James McCausland, the son who remained
in Cumberland count)', married Patsy Bell,
a daughter of one of Miftiin township's

About the year 1804 he found his way to
the neighborhood of Staunton, Virginia.



where his father was still located as the
principal head of the school. James was
rather inclined to roving, and for several
years did not settle himself permanently,
and became more dissatisfied as he pro-
longed his stay. He was a staunch opposer
of slavery, and having now seen its practical
workings he determined to leave and return
to Pennsylvania, and as this period included
the time of our last war trouble with the
Mother Country (England), it fell to his
lot to have a share in that little unpleasant-
ness, and it caused him by exposure in camp
life a serious loss of health from which he
never fully recovered. He had a family
of ten children, five daughters and five
sons — John, the elder; Andrew Bell, Sam-
uel Bell, William A., and James ; these com-
posed the McCausland stock to perpetuate
the grandfather's name.

William Clifton McCausland was born
August 9, 1861, in Fourth avenue, Pitts-
burgh, and is a son of William A. and
Margaret (Mackerell) McCausland. His
education was received in the public schools
of the Fourth Ward of Allegheny. Not
only in the matter of acquiring an edu-
cation may Mr. McCausland be said to have
"walked in the steps of his illustrious
predecessor." His first employment was
that of a messenger boy, in which capacity,
as everyone knows, the greatest of the steel
magnates (Carnegie) entered upon his
world-famous career. The parallel may be
traced further, for Mr. McCausland, who
was employed by Bradstreet's Mercantile
Agency, did not long remain in the humble
position in which he began. By dint of
close observation, joined to innate ability,
he speedily acquired sufficient knowledge
of the ways of business to fill the position
of cost clerk and purchasing agent for the
firm of Bailey, Farrell & Company, with
whom he remained eight years. After
spending another year as bookkeeper for the
Iron City Tool Works, he became in 1887
assistant bookkeeoer for the H. C. Frick

Coal Company. Three months later he was
made cashier— a fact which speaks for itself
— and retained that position until 1890,
when he became cashier for Carnegie,
Phipps & Company, Limited. As the years
went by, his duties broadened, and con-
fidence in his ability became more and more
firmly rooted, in consequence of which he
was appointed, on the consolidation of the
two Carnegie interests, cashier of the en-
larged corporation. In 1900 Mr. McCaus-
land's work and character received their
most signal recognition. He then became
assistant treasurer of the Carnegie Steel
Company, and the changes incidental to the
acquirement of the Carnegie Company by
the United States Steel Corporation ad-
vanced him to his present position.

To give a complete history of the Car-
negie Steel Company approximates to the
impossible, so extensive and conspicuous
have been its exploits in steel manufactur-
ing. From an insignificant beginning, the
business has grown in half a century into an
aggregation of great plants, and has aston-
ished Europe by the scope and rapidity of
its production. In 1858, Andrew and Anto

Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanEncyclopedia of Pennsylvania biography : illustrated (Volume 3) → online text (page 9 of 58)