John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 1) online

. (page 47 of 69)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 1) → online text (page 47 of 69)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


William Everett and Flora E. (Loudin) Laughner: i. Lena L., died in
1887, aged three months. 2. William, born January 21, 1891, employed in the
Duquesne foundry in Coraopolis. 3. A son, died soon after birth. 4. Grace
Bernita, born in 1898, a student in public school.



The family from which Samuel James Dugan Jr. of Cora-
DUGAN opolis is descended is one well known and respected in county

Armagh, Ireland. The county is situated in the beautiful
Ulster country, bounded on the north by Lough Neagh, the largest lake in
the British Isles, and has a great history of its own running back to the
age of romantic tradition. The Dugans were inhabitants of the village of
Kern na Venican, situated near the city of Armagh, once the metropolis of
learning and culture of Ireland, and so of Europe. Here in the midst of
the dark ages, during the time between the sixth and twelfth centuries Anno
Domini, there flourished a great university, numbering as many as nine
thousand students within its precincts. In this region whose historic in-
terest and natural beauty it would be difificult to surpass. Mr. Dugan's
ancestors were living in the latter part of the eighteenth and the first part
of the nineteenth centuries. The great-grandfather of our subject was
Dr. Harry Dligan, a prominent physician in county Armagh, the typical
country doctor, well known and respected throughout the countyside, and
the owper of a large farm. He and his family were Presbyterians and
must have been people of considerable wealth as they were travelers, and
even visited America, where, by a strange fortune, their son, and the grand-
father of our subject, was born, a generation before any members of the
family became residents of the New World. This was in the year 1816,
and, whether or no the fact may be attributed to his birth having occurred
so far from home during the course of a journey, it is certain that the child
so born became a sea faring man, following that calling all his life. Indeed
two of Dr. Dugan's sons were among those who go down to the sea in
ships. William and James, the latter our subject's grandfather. William
Dugan became captain of his ship and lived in New York City, and James
sailed as mate under him. making his home, however, in native Armagh.
The brothers were chiefly engaged in the transatlantic trade, and James,
who had a reputation in Ireland as a veterinary surgeon, dealt considerably
in cattle. Though his home was in Armagh on the old family homestead.
James Dugan died in New York City, his birthplace, and was buried there.
Upon one of his journeys, he was in Scotland and there met Margaret
Martin, one of the large family of the Rev. Samuel Martin, a Methodist
clergyman, who lived and died in that country. To this young lady James
Dugan was married, and by her had six children, as follows : William
Henry, deceased, who became a farmer of LaClede county. Missouri ; Mary,



354 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

who became Mrs. John Dugan and is yet living, with her husband, in
county Armagh on the old Crozier estate inherited by her husband ; John,
deceased, a farmer in Ireland; Rebecca, who married Logan, both de-
ceased; Samuel James Sr., our subject's father; and Hugh, who died in
early youth.

Samuel James Dugan Sr., the fifth child of James and Margaret
(Martin) Dugan, was born in county Armagh, Ireland, March 4, 1852, at
the village of Kern na Venican. Here he passed his childhood up to the
age of fifteen years, when he came to the United States and made his home
with an uncle, Andrew Gordon, living at Batavia, Genesee county, New
York. Here the youth learned the trade of carpenter under the tutelage
of one Mr. Gibbs, and followed this calling until he came of age. He then
went into the oil business and became a refiner, living at various times at
Olean, New York, Oil City, Pennsylvania, and other places. He went at
one time to Cleveland, Ohio, and there worked for the Standard Oil Com-
pany for a number of years, refining oil. Finally in the year 1890 he came
to Coraopolis, where he still continues to live, and here, in partnership with
William Sugart, he founded the Coraopolis Oil Refining Company, which
he continued until the year 1895. At that time he sold out his interest and
removed temporarily to Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia,
working still at refining, but shortly after returned to Coraopolis. From
this time on he gradually dropped the oil business, taking up once more, his
old trade of carpentry. Not long after his return he became constable in
Coraopolis, and later justice of the peace or "Squire," as he has been called
for many years. In 1899 he entered the employment of the Pittsburgh and
Lake Erie Railroad, in their police department, of which he soon became
the chief. He held a state detective license, in connection with his work.
Mr. Dugan is a prominent man in his community, a Republican in politics,
he takes an active part in the conduct of local aiifairs, and has served his
fellow citizens well and satisfactorily in the offices he has occupied. Despite
the position he has raised himself to in his adopted land, it is forty years
since Mr. Dugan has been in communication with his relatives in Ireland.
He married Mary McGee, and by her had four children, as follows:
Daniel Gordon, a railroad detective working under his father, a resident of
Coraopolis, where he lives on Fifth avenue, and married to Cora McKinley ;
William Henry, a farmer of Meadville, Pennsylvania, married Desda Bin-
ford; Samuel James Jr., our subject; and Mary Jane, who died at the age
of three years. Mr. Dugan Sr. was married a second time to Ena Lang,
by which union there have been no children. Mr. Dugan is a member of
the Masonic Order. He and his wife are both members of the Presby-
terian Church.

Samuel James Dugan Jr., the third child of Samuel James Sr. and
Mary (McGee) Dugan, was born August 19, 1881, in Cleveland, Ohio. He
received his education in the public schools of Warren county, Pennsylvania,
and later in Coraopolis. He finally took a course in Duff's Business Col-
lege, Pittsburgh, and after graduating from this institution, secured a posi-



WESTERN TENNSYLVANIA 355

tion with the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad, and is still connected with
that concern. For three years he worked as yard clerk in McKees Rocks,
Pennsylvania, and since 1904 he has held the position of station agent at
Groveton in the same state. Mr. Dugan makes his home at No. 721 Fifth
avenue, Coraopolis. He is one of the rising young men of Coraopolis, a
Republican in politics, a member of the Masonic Order, Lodge No. 574;
Chapter Zeroboah, No. 672. He is also prominent in the Methodist Epis-
copal Church, of which he and Mrs. Dugan are members, he occupying the
position of secretary of the official board.

Dr. Dugan was married, June 18, 1907, to Ruth Charlotte Phillips, a
native of Rock Island, where she was born April 18, 1885. Her parents
were Edward and Margaret Anna (Lee) Phillips, of whom Mrs. Phillips
survives. To Mr. and Mrs. Dugan was born one child, Dorothy Margaret,
born May i, 1910, died July 15, 191 1.



Across the Carpathian mountains from Hungary, in
ZWIERZYNSKI a region, the very names of which breathe romance

to our western ears, lies the crownland or province
of Galicia, now an integral part of the Austrian Empire, though geogra-
phically it seems more nearly related to Poland and Russia than to Austria,
separated, as it is, from the latter, by the rough mountain barrier. Indeed,
from the fourteenth century onward, Galicia formed a portion of the king-
dom of Poland, until, in 1772, the division was made which accorded it to
the Austrian power. The population, which numbers in the neighborhood
of seven million, is of a sturdy, liberty loving character, and in 1815, set up
the independent Republic of Kracow. In the midst of such great and ag-
gressive powers, neighbors, by no means disposed to be neighborly, the
independence of Kracow could scarcely have been expected to last, and, in
1846, was again suppressed. In this populous and busy land there has lived
for many generations the family of Zwierzynski, lived and prospered, so far
as the troublous and somewhat oppressive social conditions obtaining would
permit. They were farmers and tillers of the soil, and, as was customary
in that day and place, were associated in the management of their farms
with the great landed nobility of the country. Thus Stanislaus Zwierzynski,
who was born in 1802 near Kroto, in Galicia, managed at different times
farms for two of the great families in his neighborhood. This Stanislaus
Zwierzynski, the father of Daniel Zwierzynski, the subject of this sketch,
was a powerful man, large and heavily built and capable of taking very good
care of himself and those belonging to him amid even less auspicious cir-
cumstances than those under which the Galician peasantry labored. He
was employed for a time in managing a farm for Count Potocki, and later
in the same capacity for Count Menczynski, but upon the death of the
Countess Menczynski, was rewarded for his faithful service by the gift of
a farm for himself, upon which he lived in comfort until his death in 1875.
The two important religions in Galicia are the Roman and Greek Catholic
faiths, and to the former of these, as his forebears had for generations.



356 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Stanislaus Zvvierzynski belonged. He was married, however, to a member
of the Greek Catholic Church, Eva Sudia, who was born in the year 1812
at Barwinek, Galicia, near the village of Tylawa, her husband's residence at
the time of their marriage. To Mr. and Mrs. Zwierzynski were born four
children, as follows : Michael, still a resident of Galicia on the Zwierzynski
homestead ; John, who is also a farmer at Tylawa, Galicia ; Theodore, who
was a soldier in his native land until the year 1888, when he emigrated to the
United States and settled in Detroit, Michigan, where he worked as a car-
penter and finally died in February, 1913; Daniel, our subject and the
youngest of the four sons.

Daniel Zwierzynski was born January 7, 1859, i" the village of Tylawa,
Galicia, and there passed his boyhood and youth. He obtained his educa-
tion at the parochial schools of his native village, which he attended up to
the age of sixteen years. He then worked on the home farm, both at its
cultivation and in the wagon making shop, which his father had established
on the place. Stories of the opportunities to be had in the great new re-
public across the seas with which Europe was at that time filled, had pene-
trated even to remote Galicia, and Mr. Zwierzynski decided to join the
great army which were adventuring themselves and their fortunes in the
"New World." Accordingly, in the spring of 1880, he set sail for the
United States in qompany with a number of others from his native region,
the party consisting in all of four youths, two young girls and one married
woman. The party arrived in Philadelphia on the Thursday before Easter
Sunday in the same year. From this port Mr. Zwierzynski went temporarily
to New York City, and thence to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. In the latter
place he remained but a short time, moving to Danville, Pennsylvania, where
he found employment in a rolling mill. Later he worked at excavating and
a number of different tasks, in various places through the anthracite coal
regions of Pennsylvania, and, at length, in 1882, found his way to Pitts-
burgh. Here he was employed by a number of contractors at various times,
among them being Louis Fuller, Striebaker, W. W. Miller, and others.
In Pittsburgh he also learned the trade of carpenter, and thereafter worked
as a journeyman on the south side of the city where a great deal of building
was at that time going on. In the year 1891, perceiving how great was the
opportunity in this Hne of business, he engaged in contracting on his own
account, the scene of his operations being the old Thirteenth Ward, Pitts-
burgh. Two years later he had already become well-to-do, and in the same
year, 1893, he made the trip to Chicago for the purpose of visiting the
World's Fair then being held there. In 1902 Mr. Zwierzynski removed to
McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania, where he resumed work at his trade of car-
penter, he having had the misfortune to lose all that he had made in a three
years unsuccessful attempt to conduct a drug store which he had bought at
a sheriff's sale in 1894. In McKees Rocks he secured steady work as a
carpenter with the Pressed Steel Car Company, and continued with this
concern until he had become sufficiently well acquainted in the town to
justify him in re-commencing in the contracting business. It was not a great



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 357

while before he ventured again in this hne and, as before, met with un-
qualified success, the business having up to this time assumed very large
proportions, a great number of the dwellings in the town having been built
by him. His residence in McKees Rocks was for a time at No. 341 Olivia
street, but, in 1910, he removed to the hill and built himself a fine brick
dwelling at No. 701 Broadway, and has here since made his home. In
1888 he took a course in architecture at the Curry University, Pittsburgh,
attending night school and now gives his entire attention to architecture,
having offices in the Post Office block, McKees Rocks.

Mr. Zwierzynski was married, in 1897, to Mary Blaszak. He had by
her a son Joseph, born February 9, 1899. Mr. Zwierzynski is a member of
the Polish Catholic Church.



James M. Stinson is descended on his father's side of the
STINSON house from an Irish family, whose origin was in that north-
ern region of the Emerald Isle so justly famous for its
union of the wild, rugged and austere with the soft graciousness every-
where characteristic of the country. The bold coastline, scarcely to be ex-
ceeded for fantastic beauty by any in the world, the picturesque interior,
the bold bluffs of Lough Neagh, the largest land-locked body of water in
the British Isles, a stirring history fading back into an age of the most
romantic legend, combine to make county Antrim one of the most interest-
ing of places. It is said that if one should stand on the steep bank of Lough
Neagh and cry the name O'Neil, once the proudest in the whole island, that
his call would be answered by thousands of fishermen, the simple descendants
of a family which for five hundred years supplied Ireland with her chief
king.

In this romantic region was James Stinson, the father of James M.
Stinson, born in the year 1830, and from there he came nineteen years later
to seek in a new land the opportunity which oppressive conditions denied to
him at home. Upon reaching the United States, Mr. Stinson Sr. went first
to Perry county, Pennsylvania, and there temporarily made his residence.
During his stay in that part of the state he met and married Saraii R.
Sheets, a native of Clarks Ferry, Pennsylvania, where she was born in the
year 1840. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Stinson removed to Harris-
burg, the capital of the state, and there made their home for the remainder
of their lives. Mr. Stinson, at the time of his coming to Harrisburg, was
in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and he continued in this ser-
vice up to the year 1902, only two years prior to his death. Mrs. Stinson
survived her husband for nine years, her death occurring in 19 13. James
Stinson was a man vitally interested in the political questions of his day, a
member of the Democratic party. To him and Mrs. Stinson were born seven
children, as follows: John M. ; George, died in infancy; Sarah R. ; James
M., our subject; Margaret E. ; William H.; Samuel T. Mr. and Mrs. Stin-
son were members of the Presbyterian Church and reared their children in
that belief.



358 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

James M. Stinson, the fourth child of James and Sarah R. (Sheets)
Stinson, was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, May i8, 1868. He was
reared in his native city, obtaining his education in the local public schools.
Upon completing the prescribed course of study, he began the active busi-
ness of life by securing a position on the Harrisburg Telegraph, in the em-
ploy of M. W. McAlarney, at that time publisher for a number of Harris-
burg papers. Mr. Stinson was but fourteen years of age when he went with
the Telegraph, and he remained in that employment for five years, attaining
in the meantime to the position of foreman of the Telegram and of the
Call. He was also given charge of Dr. Silas C. Swallow's paper at the time
that gentleman was running for governor of the state on the Prohibition
ticket. In 1898 Mr. Stinson removed to Sewickley, Pennsylvania, where he
has ever since resided. His first business connection in Sewickley was with
the Sezinckley Valley, a connection which continued for three years, until
in 1901 he established the Stinson Printing Company in partnership with
John L. Kochenderfer. In 1903 he also began the publication of the
Herald. Besides the influence which he exerts through his paper, Mr. Stin-
son is in many ways a prominent man in his community. A Republican in
politics, he takes an active part in the conduct of affairs and is associated
conspicuously in fraternal circles, being a member of the Knights of
Pythias and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in their local or-
ganizations. He is a member of the Baptist Church.

Mr. Stinson was married in 1893 to Ida May Lau, a daughter of Henry
and Mary (Baker) Lau, both deceased, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Mrs.
Stinson died May 28, 1913. They had one child, a daughter, Laura Ellen
Stinson, born June 11, 1895. Miss Stinson is a graduate of the Sewickley
High School.



It is to the Kingdom of Bavaria, which of all the states of
SCHRAMM Germany made the most favorable terms with Prussia and

preserved the largest measure of autonomy at the time of
the formation of the Empire, that John E. Schramm must look for the line
of sturdy ancestry from which he is sprung, for both his parents were born
there, although in dififerent parts of the land.

His father, John Schramm, migrated to the United States as a young
man, twenty-three years of age in 1845, and settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsyl-
vania, where he found employment in a river warehouse. Constance Baum-
gartner, who later became his wife, though nearly ten years his junior, had
preceeded her future husband in her migration to this country, having been
brought here when but two years of age by her parents, in 1834, who also
settled in Pittsburgh. In this city Mrs. Schramm passed her childhood and
young girlhood, and here she was wooed by John Schramm and in due
course of time married him. Soon after their marriage Mr. Schramm took
his young wife to live in the neighborhood of Bloomfield, Pennsylvania,
where he engaged in dairying, selling milk in that vicinity for about four
years. He then removed to Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, and continued in



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 359

the same line of business for anotlier period of years. In the year 1S65,
having by dint of his industry and thrift, laid by a considerable sum of
money, he purchased a farm of seventy-five acres in Ross township, Penn-
sylvania, where he continued in the dairy business for about twelve years
longer with much success. After that period of time he gave up dairying
and occupied himself with gardening on the same property, an occupation
in which he continued up to the time of his death in 1906. Mrs. Schramm
had already died some thirty years previously, but her husband never con-
templated remarriage. Mr. Schramm was an active man, a Democrat in
politics and keenly alive to the questions of the day. Both he and Mrs.
Schramm were communicants of the Roman Catholic Church and in that
faith they reared their large family of twelve children, whose names were
as follows : Stephen, now a contractor of Perrysville, Pennsylvania ; Joseph,
who now resides on the home farm ; an infant, who died unnamed ; John E.,
of whom further; Michael, who died at the age of eighteen years; Peter,
who lives on the old homestead: Adam, a carpenter of Mount Troy, Penn-
sylvania ; Mary, died in infancy ; William, who died at the age of twelve
years ; Mary, who lives unmarried in Allegheny, Pennsylvania ; Andrew, a
resident of Philadelphia, where he is engaged in the bookbinding and mailing
business ; Kate, who lives unmarried with her sister Mary.

John E. Schramm, fourth child of John and Constance (Baumgartner)
Schramm, was born March 25, 1857, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He was
educated in St. Vincent's College at Latrobe, Pennsylvania, and upon the
completion of his studies secured a position as a clerk in a neighboring
grocery store. As a result of hard work and economy, he saved up a sum
of money sufficient to start him in the grocery business for himself within
a short time. Accordingly he opened a store in Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania,
continuing in business for upwards of twelve years. As time went on, how-
ever, Mr. Schramm became interested in quite another line of work, and
in 1888 was able to start the publication known as the Sharpsburg Herald,
which he continued for some five years. In 1893 he removed to McKees
Rocks where he became the proprietor and publisher of the McKees Rocks
Gasette, a weekly paper, which he still operates with a high degree of suc-
cess, it having a circulation of about twenty-one hundred. In connection
with the printing of the paper, Mr. Schramm also does a large job printing
business, this element, jndeed. forming the larger fraction of his work.
Mr. Schramm is a Democrat, and his political views are reflected with vigor
and effect in his publication. He is a member of the Catholic Mutual
Benefit Association, of the Knights of Columbus, and of the Owls, the
Eagles and the Moose orders.

Mr. Schramm was married in the year 1881 to Elizabeth Bleil, a daugh-
ter of Rhinehart and Anna M. (Weber) Bleil, of Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania,
where he was born. To Mr. and Mrs. Schramm have been born seven
children, as follows : Mary, now Mrs. Frank Babibger, of McKees Rocks,
Pennsylvania, and the mother of five children ; William, died at the age of
one and a half years ; Anna ; Clara ; Katie, died in infancy ; Edward ;



36o WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Francis. Mr. and Mrs. Schramm and their family are all Catholics, and
attend St. Mary's Church, McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania.



Andrew Walker, deceased, for many years a prosperous
WALKER merchant and highly respected resident of Carnegie, Penn-
sylvania, was born in county Down, Ireland, son of John
and Jane (Graham) Walker, both also of Irish birth and parentage. John
and Jane Walker, in 1870, left their native land to join their son, Andrew,
in his American home. John Walker did not long survive the journey,
dying at the age of sixty-six years. His widow, Jane, however, lived to
the extreme age of eighty-six years. Children: i. Sarah, married Alex-
ander Lanaghan and died in Carnegie, Pennsylvania. 2. Andrew, of further
mention. 3. Mary Jane, married Samuel Calvin, and died in Pittsburgh.
4. Alexander, died in Allegheny City. 5. David, died in East Liberty, Penn-
sylvania. 6. Annie, married William Moore, and died in Carnegie. 7.
Robert, died in Carnegie.

(II) Andrew Walker, was born in county Down, Ireland, in 1835, died
in Carnegie, Pennsylvania, on Thanksgiving Day, 1896. He was educated
in Parish schools, and remained in Ireland until 1885, then came to the
United States, locating first in Virginia, later settling in Pittsburgh. He
was a gardener working for others until 1862, when he moved to Mansfield
Valley, now Carnegie, soon afterward becoming superintendent of Chartiers
Cemetery, a position he was well qualified to hold. He continued in charge
of the cemetery for twelve years, then invested his capital in a hay, grain,
and feed store in Carnegie, at Broadway and Main street. He was quite
successful in business, but after a few years he moved farther down to
what is called East Carnegie and there established a grocery store with a
notion department attached. Here he continued in business until, a brief
period preceding his death. He was a man of wide reading and superior
intelligence, took a deep interest in public aflFairs, was a Republican in
politics, but never sought or accepted office. He was an Orangeman, belong-
ing to the local lodge ; and was a deacon of the Presbyterian Church, his
wife also being a member. He had many friends, was honorable and up-
right in all his dealings and left a good record behind him. He married,
in 1857, at Steubenville, Ohio, Margaret McAteer, born in Ireland, Feb-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 1) → online text (page 47 of 69)