John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 13 of 72)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 13 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


better field for an ambitious, energetic young man to advance to prosperity,
he then emigrated to this country, and located in Illinois, where he became
a coal miner. He then followed various occupations until 1882, when he
came to Braddock, Pennsylvania, and there opened a saloon, which he con-
ducted successfully for a period of five years. Removing then to Braddock
avenue, he built a hotel there at Nos. 18-20, and conducted this personally
five years, when he sold out and was living retired from business at the
time of his death. He was a Republican in political opinion, and he and his
wife were members of St. Brendan's Church, later affiliating with St.
Thomas'. He built a beautiful house at No. loi Mills avenue, in which
Mrs. Gorham has now been living for the past nineteen years. Mr. Gorham
married, August 26, 1883, Johanna Hillgrove, bom at Cresson, near Johns-
town, Pennsylvania, and they had children: Michael, died in infancy;
Barbara, lives with mother ; Patrick, died in infancy ; Mary, married James
Keenan, has two children — Winifred and John — and lives in Braddock;
John and Brendetta, died in infancy.



624 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Luke Hillgrove, father of Mrs. Gorham, was born in county Cork, Ire-
land, died in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, March 6, 1883. He came to America
in 1847 in order to make a home here for his wife and family, and located
in Cresson, where he lived some years, then removed to the Broad Top
coal region, and finally to Pittsburgh, where his death occurred, and where
he is buried in St. Mary's Cemetery. He was a coal digger by occupation.
He married, in Ireland, Catherine Carroll, born in county Waterford, Ire-
land, came to America in December, 1849. She died April 4, 1892, aged
eighty- four years. They had children: Henry, a soldier during the Civil
War, was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness, returned to his home,
and died soon thereafter as a result of his wound ; Bartholomew, lives re-
tired at Homestead; Catherine, married James Brannigan, and died at
Broad Top ; Thomas, a railway engineer, died in Pittsburgh ; John, an en-
gineer, died in Pittsburgh ; Mary, died in childhood ; Johannah, married Mr.
Gorham, as above stated ; an infant, died unnamed.



The Bullions family .has been resident in this country but
BULLIONS a comparatively few years, yet in this short space of time

they have demonstrated that they possess in a marked de-
gree the pronounced ability, forceful individuality and the perseverance of
purpose which win success in business circles, and command universal re-
spect.

Leonard Bullions was born in Dunfermline, Scotland, where he was
engaged in business as a baker during all the active years of his life, and
died at an early age. He married Christina Murray, also a native of Dun-
fermline, who married (second) William Drysdale, a cousin of Andrew
Carnegie, and also died in Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Bullions had children :
John, died at the age of sixteen years; Leonard, of further mention; two
daughters, who died in infancy; Margaret, married James Gow, and died in
Scotland; Jessie, lives unmarried in Dunfermline; a daughter, died in in-
fancy.

Leonard (2) Bullions, son of Leonard (i) and Christina (Murray) Bul-
lions, was born in Dunfermline, Scotland, December i, 1855, died in Swiss-
vale, Pennsylvania, November 5, 191 1. His early education was received in
the public schools of his native town, and he then took a classical course in
Edinburgh, and commenced the study of law. Having, however, received
a very favorable offer from Andrew Carnegie to come to America, he
abandoned the study of law and came to the United States when he was
nineteen years of age. The limits of this review will not permit a detailed
account of his activities, but they are, in brief, as follows : Settling at
Pitt.sburgh, he was bookkeeper for the LTnion Mills at Twenty-eighth street ;
employed in a similar capacity at Larimer Coke Works ; later at Latrobe,
where he had charge of the coke works ; then in charge of the Scotia Iron
Ore Mines ; in charge of the Carnegie Company's interests at Beaver Falls ;
cashier and treasurer of the Carnegie interests in Pittsburgh ; superintendent
of the nineteen-inch plate mill at the Homestead Steel Works; in charge of



WESTERN J'ENNSYLVAXIA 625

the Redstone Coal & Coke Company, at Jirownfield, for a period of five
years; back to Pittsburgh as claim agent and metallurgical engineer for the
last thirteen years of his life. All of these positions were in the interests
of the Carnegie Company, and altogether they covered a period of thirty-
six years. 1 le was consiflered the most ver.satile, accurate and experienced
man in his field in his day. In 1900 he removed to Swissvale, where he had
purchased an acre of land facing the railroad. He is buried in the ceme-
tery at Momestead. llis political affiliations were with the Republican
party, and he and his wife were members of the United I'resbyterian Ciiurch.
Fraternally he was a Mason, having attained the Knight Templar degree.

Mr. liullions married, July 31, 1875, Nancy Mclntyre, born in Larimer,
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1856, a daughter of William
and Anna (Long) Mclntyre, both born in Indiana county, Pennsylvania,
and married there. Mr. Mclntyre was a farmer, and later removed to West-
moreland county, where he purchased a fine farm, and died there in 1875.
He was a Democrat, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. His wife,
who was also a member of the Presbyterian Church, died in 1885. They
were the parents of fourteen children. Mr. and Mrs. Bullions had children:
Leonard Palmerson, a machinist, living at Swissvale; George L., treasurer
of the Philadelphia Street Railways Company, lives in Edgewood ; Andrew
Carnegie, a foreman in the Bessemer Works, lives in Swissvale ; Christina,
married Charles C. Lewis, and lives in Swissvale ; Nancy C, married
Howard Graham, and lives in Pitcairn ; Jessie L., married Wilbert Milligan,
and lives in Braddock ; Charles Schwab, a machinist, living with his mother;
Jean Margaret ; Oscar Wallace ; Clara Mozelle ; and Hilda, who died in
infancy.



The name of Dell has been honored and has stood for definite
DELI^ accomplishment in connection with the civic and business activi-
ties of the State of Pennsylvania since the early days of the
nineteenth century, when the family first made its appearance here.

(I) Philip Dell, a native of Germany, came to the United States as a
young lad. and settled near Philadelphia. He operated a stage coach route
from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, which he inaugurated about 1820, and con-
ducted many years. Finally he removed to Allegheny county, Pennsyl-
vania, continuing the coach line, and at the same time engaged in stock
breeding, and the buying and selling of stock. Finally he removed to Alle-
gheny, where his death occurred in 1842. He was a member of the Lutheran
Church. He married Mary , a native of France, who died some time be-
fore her husband, and they had children : John, went to Australia, and re-
mained there ; Joseph, a coal miner for many years, also boated on the canal,
died aged about seventy-six years; Philip, went to Texas in 1851, and died
there some years ago ; Jacob, of further mention ; Henry, a farmer, died in
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1904; Rachel, died unmarried about

1909. at the age of ninety years ; Eliza, married John Brown, and died in

1910, at the age of eighty-six years; Mary, married William Bailes, and



626 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

died in Cleveland, Ohio, after having spent the greater part of her life in
Allegheny county, Pennsylvania; Margaret, married David Conner, and died
in Allegheny, at the age of seventy-five years; Catherine, married John
Faust, and died in Allegheny at the age of seventy-five years.

(II) Jacob Dell, son of Philip and Mary Dell, was born in Allegheny
county, Pennsylvania, in 1829, and was killed by a train at Duquesne, in
1904, having gone there to make his home with his son William F. Shortly
after his marriage he settled at Bolivar, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania,
and was a boatman on the old Pennsylvania canal for a number of years.
He then engaged in brickmaking at Bolivar, continuing in this occupation
until he retired from active work. As stated above, he met his death in a
most tragic manner. He was a soldier from the time of the first call for
volunteers until June 25, 1864, being a member of Company I, Eleventh
Regiment Pennsylvania Reserves, and was present at the battles of Bull
Run, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania Court House,
Cold Harbor, and numerous other engagements of scarcely less importance.
He was captured, and detained four months in Libby and Andersonville
prisons. He was slightly wounded three times, on one occasion being knocked
down by the force with which a bullet hit his canteen. He was a member
of the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Junior
Order of United American Mechanics, and he and his wife were members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

He married Mary A. Harmon, born in Westmoreland county, Penn-
sylvania, in 183 1, died in Duquesne, in February, 1910. She was a daughter
of Philip and Margaret (McClain) Harmon, the former born in Germany,
the latter in Ireland. Both came to America in their youth, and settled in
Westmoreland county. He came with his parents, who were among the
pioneer settlers, and his father was killed by the Indians, and was buried
under the tree where he had fallen. Philip Harmon was a cabinet maker by
trade, but a farmer and land owner as well, and after his marriage lived for
a time in Westmoreland county, later removing to Bolivar. He and his wife
were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and were the parents of
children: Jackson, a manufacturer of brick in Beaver county, Pennsylvania,
died in 1910, at the age of seventy-three years; James, resides on Hazle-
wood avenue, in Pittsburgh ; Rosa, married Dr. John Glover, and died in
Missouri ; Mary A., who married Jacob Dell, as mentioned above ; Nancy,
married Harry Blackburn, removed to Kansas in 1885, and died there in
1908; Elizabeth, married Alexander Wynn, and died in Johnstown, Penn-
sylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Dell had children : Philip, an engineer in the em-
ploy of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company; William F., of further men-
tion ; Maggie, widow of Thomas Edwards, lives in Duquesne ; Henry, a
railroad conductor, lives in Duquesne; Rosa, died unmarried at the age of
forty years ; Viola, married Samuel Wynn, and died in Lock Haven, Penn-
sylvania, in 1889; Susan, died in young girlhood; Kate, married William
Horton, lives in Clairton, Pennsylvania; John, an engineer, lives in Du-
quesne.



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 627

(III) William F. Dell, son of Jacob and Mary A. ( Harmon; Dell, was
born in Bolivar, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, August 21, 1853. He
attended the public schools of his native county, and upon the completion
of his education obtained employment in the brick works in Bolivar anrl in
Clearfield county. In 1889 he came to Duquesne, and there entered the
employ of the Carnegie Company, his first position being that of foreman,
and then superintendent of the transportation department, discharging the
duties of the latter position until 1906. He retired to private life for a
period of three of four years, and was then elected justice of the peace in
191 1, an ofiice he is still filling with great benefit to the community. In 191 1
he also engaged in the real estate and insurance business, the former branch
being connected entirely with local matters, and in the latter he represents
five distinct companies. He has been a member of Clearfield Lodge, Xo.
314, Free and Accepted Masons, since 1882; and is a member of McKees-
port Chapter, Royal Arch Masons.

Mr. Dell married, July i, 1875, Mary, born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania,
a daughter of Robert and Mary Bain, an ancient family of Scotland, who
came to America in 1854. Mr. and Mrs. Dell have had children, all of whom
were graduated from the high school : Robert, a borough engineer, lives in
Duquesne ; Lillie, married Edw^ard Lytle, lives in Washington, Pennsylvania ;
Russell, died at the age of twenty-one years; Willa, at home; Mabel, was
graduated from the Duquesne High School in 1914.



The Noble family is supposed to descend from Scotch ancestry,
NOBLE and many of the name are now to be found scattered all over

the Union.
(I) William Noble was probably born in the eastern part of Pennsyl-
vania, and came over the mountains in his earlier days, while yet unmar-
ried. He settled at what later became Noblestown, and went to Pittsburgh
soon after his marriage. There he was a teamster for a time, and about
the early forties removed to Baldwin township, where he purchased three
hundred acres of woodland, which is now the present site of Carrick bor-
ough. He built a house where Buck Tavern now stands, and maintained a
hotel there by that name for some years. About 1853 the tavern was
destroyed by fire. He rebuilt it, however, and this building has been re-
cently remodeled, and is still conducted under the same name. He rented
the new tavern, and built a house for himself facing the land now known
as Linwood avenue, and also built houses for his sons, and divided his prop-
erty among them and his grandchildren. He and his wife were members
of the Concord Presbyterian Church. He died in 1866. Mr. Noble married
Margaret Gilliland, who died in 1870 or 1871, and they had children : John,
of further mention ; Ann Eliza, married John Doolittle, died in the Pitts-
burgh district; two who died in infancy; William G., lived and died on a
part of the homestead, and is buried in Southside Cemetery.

(II) John Noble, son of William and Margaret (Gilliland) Noble, was
born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, in 1822, died May 2J, 1884. He



b28 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

grew to maturity on the homestead farm, and his father then gave him a
farm of eighty-two acres, land which lay between Laughlin and Birming-
ham avenues, and extended to Beck's Run. A fine house was also erected
on this property for him, and he was engaged in the cultivation of this farm
until his death. He was a Republican in politics, and once served as school
director. He married (first) Jane Cowan, born in Baldwin township, in
1828, died in 1865; married (second) Elizabeth West, who is now living in
Muskogee, Oklahoma. Children by first marriage: Annie E., married
John Bennett, and lives in Carrick ; Thomas A., an attorney, died in Carrick
in 1907; Margaret, married Sterrett Work, and lives in Chicago; William
Caldwell, of further mention; Calhoun Franklin, is an oil well driller and
lives in Robinson township; John Burns, died in infancy; Oliver, died in
infancy; a child unnamed, died at birth, and the mother died at the same
time. Children by second marriage : James, died in Homestead in early
manhood ; Matthew Lowrey, lives in Matamoras, Illinois ; John Knox, is a
farmer in Ligonier Valley, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania ; West, was
at one time chief of the police of Homestead, now resides in Muskogee,
Oklahoma ; Arthur E., a carpenter, living in Homestead ; Joseph, a physician
in Muskogee, Oklahoma, resides with his mother ; Elizabeth, unmarried,
living with mother ; Jane, married Andrew Jackson Good, lives in Sulphur,
Oklahoma; Sarah, lives with mother; Abbie, married John Dudgeon, also
lives in Oklahoma.

William Cowan, father of Mrs. Noble, was a son of David Cowan, and
was an early resident of Baldwin township. His home was near Point
View Hotel, where he owned one hundred and fifty acres. He was a black-
smith and farmer. He died about 1883. For many years he was secretary
of the Concord Presbyterian Church, to which he and his wife belonged.
He was a strong supporter of the Republican party, and served as treasurer
of Baldwin township. He married Margaret Calhoun, whose death occurred
many years before his own, and they had children : Margaret, married
(first) William Wilson, (second) William Moore, and died in Baldwin town-
ship ; Jane, who married Mr. Noble, as above stated ; Noble Calhoun, a toll
keeper in Baldwin township, where he died; David, a farmer, died on the
homestead in Baldwin township; Sarah Elizabeth, never married, is now
living on the homestead, and is more than seventy years of age; William T.,
lives on a part of the homestead.

(Ill) William Caldwell Noble, son of John and Jane (Cowan) Noble,
was born in Baldwin township, now Carrick borough, December 5, 1855.
His education, which was a liberal one, was acquired in the public schools,
the old Jefiferson Academy, at Canonsburg, and Newell's Institute, a busi-
ness college. He continued living on the farm until 1890, having, in asso-
ciation with his brother, purchased the interests of the other heirs. About
this time the Birmingham Land Company bought about twenty-five acres
of this property to turn into building lots, and a large part of Carrick has
grown up on this. Some time later Mr. Noble sold wdiat remained of his
share to his brother, and retired from active business interests. He built




^.^ c^ (kA-c^



VVKSTHRN i^ENNSYLVANlA 629

a house on what is now VVoodlawn avenue, on a small jjlot left by his grand-
father, and has lived there since that time. He has been a staunch Re-
publican always, and has served as assessor of Carrick borough. He and
his wife are members of the Concord Presbyterian Church. Mr. Noble
married, in 1882, Maggie J., born in Altoona, Pennsylvania, a daughter of
Anthony Simonton. Children : William Anthony, a lumber dealer, lives in
Memphis, Tennessee; Margaret Jane, died just after her graduation from
the Indiana State Normal School ; Clara, married Ira Greaves, and lives
in Carrick; Harry Ralph, died in 1913, was married and left one child;
Thomas H., twin of Edward P., lives with parents; Edward P., twin of
Thomas H., is a clerk for Jones & Laughlin ; Anna Marie, married George
Howe, and lives on Taft avenue, Pittsburgh.



Educated for the priesthood of the Roman Catholic Church,
McHUGH Rev. Henry McHugh, a twentieth-century representative of

the ancient McHugh family of Ireland, has ever since hi-
ordination in 1868 faithfully and efficiently served the church of his choice
in Western Pennsylvania. Monuments to his untiring energy, faith and
devotion are to be found in every parish he has served in the form of church
edifices, schools and school buildings, convents and chapels, as well as in
the spiritual growth of the people he has served. Seventy-eight years have
passed over his devoted head and the term "father" is no less one of respect
for his holy calling, than one of afifection given him alike by Catholic and
Protestant. Cultured, pious and enthusiastic, he has served his communi-
ties well, not alone as a minister of the gospel and spiritual leader, but as
citizen, friend and neighbor, he has shown the broadness of his nature and
the depth of his love for his fellowmen. "Father" McHugh is a great-
grandson of Patrick McHugh, who married a Miss McManus and with her
lived and died in county Fermanagh, Ireland.

(II) Matthew McHugh, son of Patrick McHugh, was born in county
Fermanagh, Ireland, there married and lived for several years thereafter.
He then came to the United States, settling in Center county, Pennsylvania.
He was superintendent of a foundry later owned by Andrew G. Curtin,
father of the war governor of Pennsylvania, and engaged in business for
himself as a manufacturer and dealer in charcoal. His sons were : Michael,
of further mention ; James, a soldier in the English army and fought under
Wellington at Waterloo ; also had three daughters who came with him to the
United States.

(III) Michael McHugh, son of Matthew McHugh, was born in county
Fermanagh, Ireland, in 1790, died in Cambria county, Pennsylvania, in 1865.
He grew to manhood in Ireland, not coming to the United States with his
father, but came later, bringing with him a wife and one child. He located
in Center county, Pennsylvania, for a few years, where he engaged in char-
coal making; later located in Cambria county, where he engaged in farm-
ing and where some of his children were born, and baptized b}- the Rev.



630 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Demetris Gallitzen, in St. Mary's Church, where they were all reared in the
practice of their religious duties. He was a communicant of the Roman
Catholic Church, as were his wife and all members of his family. He
married, in Ireland, Elizabeth McManus, who was also born in Fermanagh
county, Ireland, lived to a good old age and died with her son, Rev. H.
McHugh, at Wilmore, Pennsylvania, in i88g. Her brother, Patrick Mc-
Manus, also came to the United States and lived near Philadelphia. Chil-
dren of Michael McHugh: i. Patrick, born in Ireland, now deceased.
2. Mary Ann, born on the Atlantic Ocean, married John Francis, soldier
of the Mexican War. 3. Mathew. 4. Rose, born in Pennsylvania, where
she yet lives. 5. James, died in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. 6. Eliza, married
John Sander, and lives in Cassandra, Pennsylvania. 7. John, died in 1873.
8. Henry, of further mention. 9. Catherine, died young. 10. Michael,
deceased.

(IV) Rev. Henry McHugh, now the veteran pastor of St. Canice
Roman Catholic Church at Knoxville, Pennsylvania, was born in Cambria
county, Pennsylvania, December 8, 1835, eighth child and fifth son of
Michael and Elizabeth (McManus) McHugh; baptized by Rev. Gallitzen.
His early education was obtained in. the country public schools; then
he entered St. Francis' College at Loretto, 1857. Later he entered St.
Michael's Seminary at Glenwood, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in February,
1859. He was ordained, June 6, 1868, by Bishop Dominic, of Pittsburgh.
His first charge was at Loretto, Pennsylvania, where he served from July
12, 1868, to February, 1869. He was assigned to his first charge as regular
pastor at Myersdale, in the southern part of Somerset county, an important
town on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, where he officiated along the line
of the Baltimore & Ohio and from Sand Patch to Ohio Pyle Falls, adminis-
tering to the spiritual needs of the railroad employees then constructing the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. He was then sent to the church at Brov^msville,
Fayette county, Pennsylvania, a large parish including missions at Waynes-
burgh and Uniontown, Pennsylvania, where he caused a church' to be
erected at Waynesburg during the three years he was pastor of that parish.
In 1873 he was assigned to the church at Wilmore, Cambria county, Penn-
sylvania, and for twenty-three years labored in that parish. During that
year the church grew wonderfully in numbers and spirituality, the church
property was modernized and enlarged, and at Ernfelt a church and parish
house was erected. In March, 1896, Father McHugh was appointed to the
parish of St. Agnes, Fifth avenue, Pittsburgh, and there he completed in
1913 a successful pastorate of seventeen years. Under his guidance, St.
Agnes became a large and flourishing parish of seven hundred families.
His first care was to clear ofif a debt of $21,000; this being done he built a
fine, spacious parish house. Later he secured a desirable location on which
he built a large up-to-date school, with a basement which now serves as a
chapel for the accommodation of the parish, since the destruction of old
St. Agnes by fire. On December 11, 1913, he became pastor of the church




fu^^ ^^, ^c^^U^yJ^



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 631

of St. Canice at Knoxvillc, where he is now located. One of the results
of his work in Knoxville has been the erection of the beautiful convent of
St. Canice, one of the finest and most modernly arranged convents in
Western Pennsylvania.



From New England to New York and thence to Penn-
MATHEWSON sylvania, in which state the family is represented by
Dr. Franklin Wayne Mathewson, a member of the
medical fraternity of Allegheny county.

(I) The first of this line of whom authentic record is obtainable is
David Mathewson, born May 11, 1760. He and his wife, Betty, were the
parents of: i. Elijah, of whom further. 2. Thomas, born March 7, 1784,
died August 18, 1834. 3. Joanna, born November 28, 1785, died April
26, 1865. 4. Sarah, born April 13, 1788, died May 28, 1864. 5. Lucena, born
April 7, 1790, died October 7, 1822. 6. Mary, born August 25, 1792, died
March 21, 1813. 7. David, born November 30, 1794, died December 31,
1822. 8. Laban, born May 27, 1797, died January 3, 1886. 9. Betty, born
June 27, 1799, died August 10, 1841. 10. Rhoda, born July 11, 1801, died
March 22, 1813.



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 13 of 72)