John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 4 of 72)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 4 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


age; Lewis W., of whom further; Peter, died in April, 1886, aged forty
years, married Martha Caldwell ; children : Lula, deceased ; Anna, John,
Lyman W'.

Lewis W. Noah was born April 29, 1842, in Butler county, Pennsyl-
vania, on the old family homestead. He was educated in the local public
schools, and upon completing his general studies, he learned the trade of
carpenter, following the same throughout his life. He removed from his
rural surroundings to Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, where there was more
work to be done, and here continued to live for twenty-five years. In the
year 1890 he removed from Allegheny City to Ben Avon, Allegheny county,
Pennsylvania. Ben Avon was at that time called Killbuck township, and
there Mr. Noah built a house at No. 7318 Church avenue. Mr. Noah is a
member of the Republican party and takes a keen interest in all political
issues, whether of local or general bearing.

Mr. Noah married, in Alleghen}^ City, 1865, Elizabeth Pierce, of Butler
county, Pennsylvania, where she was born November 15. 1841. Mrs. Noah
was the daughter of Thomas and >Mary Ann (Bartley) Pierce, early settlers
in Butler county, and both deceased. Mrs. Noah was a member of the
L^nited Presbyterian Church, and her death occurred May 23, 1913. Mr. and
Mrs. Noah were the parents of four children, as follows: i. William
James, born in 1866; educated in the public schools of Allegheny; now a
machinist living in Ben Avon, Pennsylvania ; married May Smare, by whom
he has had one child, a daughter. May. 2. Ada May, educated in the public
schools of Allegheny and in Curry College, Pennsylvania, and now following
the profession of teaching in the schools of the Ninth Ward, Allegheny. 3.
Minnie Etta, educated also in the Allegheny public schools and in Curry
College, and now living at home with her parents. 4. Harry Addison, a
graduate of the Allegheny High School, and now a salesman and resident of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Adam Noah, a half-brother of Lewis W. Noah,
a son of his father by a former wife, and who had accompanied the elder
Noah on his journey to the L^nited States, settled in West Virginia, and
there died about the year 1904.



WESTER X PEN X SYLVAN I A 553

Dr. William John Kline Snyder is a member of an old
SNYDER Pennsylvania family which for many generations has
been identified with the life and traditions of the western
part of the state.

(I) Peter Snyder, paternal grandfather of Dr. William j. K. Snyder,
was brought to Westmoreland ccjunty, i^ennsylvania, when but one year of
age, by his parents, who migrated there from some more eastern region.
The family settled on a farm, and there the parents eventually died. Mean-
while Peter Snyder grew up on the farm, until he became old enough to
learn a trade, when he chose carpentry, which he followed for a consider-
able time in his native place. At length, however, he decided to try his
fortunes still farther west, and accordingly went to Missouri, where in
course of time he died. His wife then returned to Westmoreland county
and lived with her son, Cyrus J. Snyder, until her death in 189 1, at the age
of eighty-four years. Peter Snyder married Lydia Rowe, a native of
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where she was born. To them were
born eight children, as follows: Hezekiah, a resident of Missouri, now de-
ceased; Mary; I^ydia ; John; llettie, deceased; Lavinia, deceased; Cyrus
J., of whom further; Uriah, a physician of Delmont, Pennsylvania, who died
at the age of forty-two years. Mr. and Mrs. Peter Snyder were members
of the Reformed Church, and in that belief reared their large family of
children. Mr. Snyder was a Democrat in politics.

(II ) Cyrus J. Snyder, seventh child of Peter and Lydia ( Rowe; Snyder,
was lx)rn at Boquet, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and there has
passed the greater part of his life. He was educated in the local schools.
He is a Democrat in politics, and with his wife attends the Denmark }iIanor
Reformed Church. He married Lydia Kline, also a native of Boquet, West-
moreland county, Pennsylvania, where she was born. Mrs. Snyder is a
daughter of John and Elizabeth ( Knappenberger) Kline, both of whom were
natives of Westmoreland county. ]\Ir. and Mrs. Kline were the parents of
nine children, as follows : William John, M.D., now a physician of Greens-
burg, Pennsylvania, in active practice ; Hezekiah, deceased ; Henry, deceased ;
Nichols; Hannah, deceased; Mary; Lydia, the mother of our subject; Amos;
Alpha, a minister of the Reformed Church at Grove City, Pennsylvania.
To 'Sir. and Mrs. Cyrus J. Snyder have been born two children, as follows:
Charles E., M.D., a practicing physician of Greensburg, Westmoreland
county, Pennsylvania; William John Kline, M.D., of whom further.

(III) Dr. William John Kline Snyder, second child of Cyrus J. and
Lydia (Kline) Snyder, was born December 24, 1864, at Boquet, West-
moreland county, Pennsylvania. He was reared on the old Snyder farm in
Manor Valley, Westmoreland county, and educated first at the local public
schools. Having completed the elementary portion of his education, he
matriculated at the Heidelberg University at Tiffin. Ohio, graduating there-
from with the class of 1892. He then took an additional year's work at the
Wooster Medical College of Cleveland, Ohio. His final preparatory work
was done at the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, from which he grad-



554 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

uated in 1895. and from there removed directly to Avalon, Pennsylvania,
v/here he established himself in what has proven a most successful medical
practice. Dr. Snyder is associated with the medical associations of his dis-
trict, being a member of the Allegheny County, the Pennsylvania State, and
the Ohio Valley Medical societies and the American Aledical Association.
Besides his professional connections. Dr. Snyder has other important in-
terests, having to do with the development of the financial and business life
of Avalon. He was one of the organizers of the Avalon Bank, and has
held the presidency from its founding to the present time. Despite the great
amount of time and energy which Dr. Snyder is obliged to give to these
important interests he nevertheless finds it possible to take a promi-
nent part in the social and fraternal life of the community, and holds mem-
bership in several orders and fraternal organizations. He is a member of
Bellevue Lodge, No. 530, Free and Accepted Masons ; of Bellevue Chapter,
Ko. 287, Ro3'al Arch Masons ; Tankred Commandery, No. 48, Knights
Templar ; the Pittsburgh Commandery, Thirty-second Degree, and the As-
syria Temple. He is also a member of the Colonel Bayn Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows. In politics Dr. Snyder is a member of the Demo-
cratic party, and takes a keen and intelligent interest in all questions whether
of local or general application. Dr. Snyder is a member of the Reformed
Church, attending the church at Avalon, and Mrs. Snyder is a member of
tlie Presbyterian Church.

Dr. Snyder married, January 23, 1897, Mabel Claire Lutz, a native of
Tiffin, Ohio, where she was born, in 1869. Mrs. Snyder is the daughter of
lohn and Elizabeth Lutz. There have been no children of this union.



William Teuteberg comes of a family representative of
TEUTEBERG the best German-American character, which has brought

to the cosmopolitan citizenship of the United States a
leaven of its own peculiar virtues, unswerving perseverance and industry.
(I) His parents were George and Charlotte (Baker) Teuteberg. both
natives of Germany, who were married in the "Fatherland" and later
emigrated from there I0 the United States, bringing their family with them.
George Teuteberg was a farmer and gardener, and upon their arrival in
this country settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Here his wife died in
1859, whereupon he removed to Emsworth, Pennsylvania, his own death
occurring in the latter place in the year 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Teuteberg
were the parents of twelve children in all. though but two of them, Wil-
liam, of whom further, and Lewis Teuteberg, of Chicago, still survive.

dl) William Teuteberg, son of George and Charlotte (Baker) Teute-
berg. was born July 2, 1825, at Hanover, Germany, and there passed his
childhood up to the age of fourteen years. In 1839, however, his parents
migrated to the United States and brought William with them, and from
that time on he lived in Pittsburgh and there received his education. He
also found employment, driving the tow horses on the canal, being intrusted
with the mail barges under Bingliam. He later took up his father's old



WESTERN PEXXSYLVAXIA 555

occupation of farming, and in 1851 came to fJhio township, Allegheny
county, the present site of the town of Emsworth. Here Mr. Teuteberg
bought considerable property, including that where Emsworth now stands.
-Mr. Teuteberg is a member of the Re]ndjlican party and has always taken
a keen interest in the political cjucstions of the day. He is a member of the
Ben Avon, Pennsylvania, Presbyterian Church.

Mr. Teuteberg married, h'ebruary 16, 1854, Dorothea lieckcrl, a native
of Germany, where she was born July 16. 183 1, her death occurring .August
20. 1868, at Emsworth. Mr. and Mrs. Teuteberg were the parents of five
ciiildren, as follows: Magdalena, born January 4, 1855; Catherine, liorii
June 26, 1859; Matilda, born January 19, 1863; Frederick, of whom further;
William Jr., born March 26, 1868.

(IIP) Frederick Teuteberg, fourth child (jf William and Dorothea
(Beckert) Teuteberg, was born June i, 1866, in Emsworth, Pennsylvania.
He has spent his life in his native place and at the present time (1914)
resides on the old Teuteberg homestead witli his father. He was educated
in the local public schools, and upon completing his studies retired to the
management of the home farm under his father. In the year 1904 he en-
gaged in a mercantile business, and in this has had a high degree of success,
his establishment being located at No. 174 Beaver Road, Emsworth. He
is a member of the Republican party, and with his wife a member of the
1 'resbyterian Church.

Frederick Teuteberg married (first) June 4. 1896, Emma Diehl, a
daughter of Charles and Christena Diehl, of Pittsburgh, in which city she
was born, December 23, 1866. By his first wife Mr. Teuteberg had three
children, as follows: William Diehl, born May 17, 1898; Frederick Charles,
born August 6, 1900; Luella Christine, born February 20, 1903. Mrs.
Teuteberg died February 2, 1910. ^Ir. Teuteberg married (second) Octo-
ber 19, 19 1 2, Amelia E. Beilstein, also of Emsworth, born in Allegheny,
North Side, Pittsburgh. Mrs. Teuteberg is the daughter of Charles and
Henrietta (Shreiner) Beilstein. Of this union there is one child, a son,
Karl John, born September 30, 19 13.



John Henry Hunt is a fine type of the strong and dominant
HUNT race whose colonization of this country in the early days laid
the foundation upon which, as upon rock, the subsequent de-
\ elopment of our civilization has rested.

His parents were John and Jane (Steer) Hunt, both natives of Eng-
land, who came to the Ignited States in 1873, bringing with them a family
of children, and settling in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where they made their
first home. Mr. Hunt found work as a laborer to support himself and
family. In 1884 he came to Emsworth, Pennsylvania, and still later re-
moved to Akron,* Ohio, where he is now living at the age of seventy-eight
years. Mrs. Hunt died, however, during their residence in Emsworth, in
1908, at the age of fifty-two years. To them were born eleven children, as
follows : John Henry, of whom further : Eliza, Ada, Albert. Caroline.



556 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

]\Iary. h^lora. Ida, Alice. William, Anna. Mr. Hunt was a member of the
Republican party and keenly interested in all political questions whether of
local or general bearing. He and his wife were members of the Episcopal
Church and reared their children in that persuasion.

John Henry Hunt was born April 25. 1866, in Sheffield, England, and
passed the early years of his childhood there. When he was a lad of but
seven, his parents brought him with them on tlieir removal to the United
States, and he received his education in the public schools of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, where he lived until reaching the age of eighteen years. At
the time of his parents' removal to Emsworth, the young man accompan'ed
them, but did not share their later move to Akron, Ohio. He had in the
meantime established himself firmly in a general contracting business In
Emsworth, and in that town has continued to live to the present time, doing
a highly successful business. He has prospered greatly and now owns a
large amount of property, and is a man of substance and importance in the
community. Mr. Hunt is active in politics in his town, and is a member of
the Republican party. Both he and Mrs. Hunt are members of the Episcopal
Church, as are also the members of his numerous family. Mr. Hunt is
one of that sturdy company of men, of which this country presents so many
examples, who, beginning with little, have made their way in the world by
dint of their own efforts and ability, and reached a prominent position in the
life of their communities. In 1912 he built a handsome house for himself
and his family in Emsworth, and there resides at the present time.

Mr. Hunt married, July 2, 1889, Barbara Stingert, a native of Alle-
gheny. Pennsylvania, where she was born in 1870. Mrs. Hunt is the
daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Smith) Stingert, of Allegheny. To
Mr. and Mrs. Hunt have been born nine children, as follows: Ella, Walter,
Edith, Emma, Harry, Ralph, Ida, Raymond, deceased, and Sarah.



Thomas O. Jones is descended on his father's side of the house
JONES from a family representative of the best type of the Welsh

people, which has contributed a leaven of its own peculiar vir-
tues to the composite citizenship of the United States, the virtues of sturdy
endurance and a strong moral and religious sense.

(I) His paternal grandfather, who also bore the name of Thomas O.
Jones, was born in Wales, but migrated in company with his parents to the
United States when only eight years old. He was a very active and enter-
prising man and had much to do with the early development of the mining
industry in the Pittsburgh region. He was the first, indeed, to open a coal
business on the "South Side" of Pittsburgh, this epoch marking event
occurring about the year 1850. After a successful career he retired in his
old age to Evansburg, Pennsylvania, where he finally died. He married
Margaret Davis, and among their children was John T., of whom further.

(II) John T. Jones, son of Thomas O. Jones, was born in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, and there educated in the local public schools. Upon leaving
school he at once entered his father's business of coal mining, fir'^t in con-



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 557

nection with the Ormsljy Works, and later with the Lyle Coal Company
at Camden, Pennsylvania. He remained in the latter place until the year
1877, when he opened a mine at Wehster, Pennsylvania, operating the same
until the great flood of iHHH, which devastated the surrounding region.
After this catastrophe he went to Courtney, Pennsylvania, and secured em-
ployment with the J. S. Neil Coal Company as superintendent of their
mines at that point. From this time on he made a numher of connections
with diiiferent companies, always in the same line of business, going from
place to place as his interests led him. He was as.sociated with the Little
Redstone Coal Company, organized in 1899 or 1900, both as a stockholder
and as general superintendent of their mines, which were located near
Fayette City. From there he went to Pitt.sburgh, to fill the position of su-
perindent of The River Coal Company, and in 1904 went to Coal Center,
Pennsylvania, and was associated with the Jones and Laughlin Mines at
thaf point, and finally was with the United Coal Company, in whose service
he was killed. He married Anna Livingston, a daughter of Joseph Living-
ston, of Lebanon. Pennsylvania, where he was a .successful farmer. The
wife of Joseph Livingston was a Miss McGown, a daughter of the first
settlers of McKeesport, her mother having been a Miss McKee. To J. T.
and Anna (Livingston) Jones, were born five children, one of whom was
Thomas O., of whom further.

(HI) Thomas O. (2) Jones, son of John T. and Anna (Living.ston)
Jones, was born March 9, 1871. at Camden, Pennsylvania. He received the
elementary portion of his education at the public schools of Pittsburgh, and
graduated from the Pittsburgh Central High School. He then attended
Dufif's Business College, the well known commercial school in that city,
where he took a business course. Upon completing these studies he secured
at once a position at clerk in the ofifice of W. K. Gallespie, a large whole-
sale grocer of Pittsburgh, with whom, however, he remained but a short
time, leaving to accept an offer of a position with the D. and F. S. Welty
Company, a firm dealing in the wdiolesale carpet and wall paper trade. After
some time at this work Mr. Jones decided to engage in business for himself,
and with his naturally enterprising nature he went to work at once to put
his determination into practical effect. Taking a partner, he opened a gen-
eral merchandise establishment in Fayette City, Pennsylvania, his firm
being known as the Jones Supply Company. It later became necessary to
terminate this business, and Mr. Jones thereupon went to Tarentum. Penn-
sylvania, which has ever since been his home. In Tarentum he secured a
position with the Tarentum Hardware Company, and in November. 1898.
became manager of the concern. The business of the company growing
largely under the able direction of affairs by Mr. Jones, it was decided to
incorporate, and in 1910 this step was carried out. Mr. Jones becoming
secretary and treasurer. His success in the affairs of the Tarentum Hard-
ware Company was such as to attract universal attention in the business
life of the town, and his obvious abilities were soon called into requisition
in a number of quarters. As a result his associations are now numerous



558 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

in that region of Pennsylvania. He is the president of the Leechburg
Hardware Company of Leechburg, Pennsylvania, president of the Free-
port Clay Products Company of Freeport, Pennsylvania, vice-president of
the American Hardware and Supply Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsyl-
vania, vice-president of the Tarentum Land and Improvement Company of
Tarentum, secretary and treasurer of the Clinton Mineral Springs Com-
pany of Saxonburg, Pennsylvania, and a director in the Tarentum Savings
and Trust Company of Tarentum and of the Fayette Bargain Company
of Fayette City. He is, in short, one of the most prominent figures in the
business, financial and industrial world in that part of the state. He does
not confine his activities to the business world exclusively, however, but
takes a conspicuous part in the general life of the town, and is a popular
figure with all those who come in contact with him. He is a member of the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and is interested in the social
life of the town.

Mr. Jones married, January 31, 1903, Bessie I. Anderson, a daughter
of Thomas J. and Elizabeth M. Anderson, of Tarentum, Pennsylvania,
where she was born July 23, 1882. To Mr. and Mrs. Jones have been
born four children, two sons and two daughters, as follows: Thomas A.,
Mary Louise, Mabel Livingston. Richard Warren. Mr. Jones and his
wife are members of the Presbyterian Church and in that persuasion are
rearing their children.



In every community, however small, there are to be found
GEPHARDT a number of foreign-born citizens, who rank among the

best and most highly honored residents, and in the case
of the late John Gephardt he was no exception to the rule. He was born
in Bavaria, Germany, March 23, 1843, died August 9, 1896, killed by light-
ning, son of John George and Anna Magdalena (Strobel) Gephardt.

John George Gephardt was born in Germany, in which country his
parents were born and settled. He emigrated to the United States, and in
1852 located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, removing from there to a farm
in Butler county, Pennsylvania, and subsequently changed his place of
residence to another farm in the same county. He was a member of the
Lutheran Church, and a Republican in politics. He was killed by a train.
March 3, 1885. His wife, Anna Magdalena Gephardt, survived him many
years, passing away September 14, 1905. Their children were: John, of
whom further; Katharine, deceased; Margaret, deceased, was the wife of
John Henry, of Colorado.

John Gephardt attended the schools of Pittsburgh and Butler county,
Pennsylvania, after which he served an apprenticeship at the trade of shoe-
maker. He was the proprietor of a shoe store in Leechburg, Armstrong
county, Pennsylvania, for thirteen years, and upon his retirement from active
business pursuits returned to the homestead farm in Butler county, Penn
sylvania, in 1886, of which he was the owner, and which he cultivated and
improved. He was successful in business, being progressive in his ideas,



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 559

trustworthy in his transactions, and by carefully attending to the wants and
wishes of his customers gained their good will and steady patronage. He
was a member of the Lutheran Ciuirch, in which his widow also holds
membership, and he gave his allegiance to the candidates of the Republican
party.

Mr. Gephardt married, November 30, 1873, Hannah Sophia Cjoering,
born in Germany, July 11, 1850, daughter of Henry and Hannah fWolfromj
Goering, both natives of Germany, from whence they emigrated to this
country, settling on a farm in J'utler county, Pennsylvania, in 1854. He
was a wheelwright by trade, which occupation he followefl for many years.
He and his wife were members of the Lutheran Church. Their chiklren
were: Henrietta; Christian, deceased; Hannah, deceased; Christian; I*"red-
cricka ; Hannah Sophia, mentioned above ; Theresa, deceased. Mr. Goer-
ing died August 23, 1887, he having survived his wife many years, her
death occurring July 23, 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Gephardt were the parents
of eight children: i. Anna, born October 11, 1874, died July 20. 1881. 2.
Charles Albert, born November 12, 1876; a resident of Westmoreland
county, Pennsylvania; married Elizabeth Fhreeling; children: Clarence G.,
William E., Charles. 3. Ellery Alexander, born November 18, 1877; a resi-
dent of Brackenridge, Pennsylvania ; married Margaret Lunderstead ; child.
Donald E. 4. Hannah Theresa, born August 24, 1879; married in Tarentum,
Pennsylvania, May 21, 1907, Edward William Whiteside, born in Clarion
county, Pennsylvania, reared in Tennessee, killed in the Sheet Mill, Novem-
ber II, 1907; one child, Edna Theresa, born April 8, 1908. 5. Ralph W.,
born June 5, 1881, died March 17, 1885. 6. Ellen A., born October 2t,.
1883; married Cyrus Daniel Whitemire ; children: Ralph A., Irene A. and
Eugene C, twins, Clyde A., Edward J. 7. Emma Matilda, born January
18, 1887; resides at home. 8. Laura i\L, born February 28. 1894, resides at
home. On August 18, 1904, Mrs. Gephardt took up her residence in
Tarentum, purchasing a house on East Sixth avenue, wdiere the family have
since resided. They are well and favorably known in the community, and
have a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.



George B. King comes on his father's side of a family representa-
KING tive of the best type of Irish character, which has brought to

the composition of the complex citizenship of the L^nited States
a leaven of its own peculiar virtues, a strong practical sense, enterprise and
indomitable courage. His mother's ancestry was originally of Scotch origin.
but has lived for so many years in Pennsylvania as to have become thor-
oughly identified with the life and associations of that state.

His paternal grandfather was John King, who was born and passed
his entire life in Ireland, and there, also, was born his son. John King, the
second, the father George B. King. This young man. however, influenced
by the accounts of the freedom and opportunity to be found in the great
republic of the Western Hemisphere, decided not to remain in his native



56o WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Upon his arrival in this country, he made his way directly to Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, later to Harpers Ferry, then to Johnstown, Pennsylvania,
then back to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he spent the latter part of his
life and died. He first found employment as a moulder in an iron foundry,
being later promoted to the position of manager of the concern, a post



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 4 of 72)