John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 67 of 72)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 67 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(H) John King, already mentioned as the son of Jacob King, was also
born in Germany, passing his childhood there and eventually marrying
Margaret Wentzel, a fellow countrywoman. The youthful couple, for a
honeymoon trip, embarked the day after the wedding to find them a new
home in the United States. They went directly upon arrival to Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, and settled in the "East End." He had learned the trade of
wagonmaker in Germany, but in America he engaged at once in farming and
gardening. He purchased a property of seventeen and a half acres adjacent
to what is now the German Lutheran Cemetery in Pittsburgh and operated
this as a farm with great success. To Mr. King and his wife were born eight
children, as follows : Mary Ann, Nicholas, Henry, Margaret, Katherine,
George, Elizabeth, John, the father of our subject. Katherine and George
were twins, the latter dying in early childhood.

(HI) John (2) King, the youngest son of John (i) and Margaret
(Wentzel) King, was born between Wilkinsburg and the "East End,"
Pittsburgh, April 22, 1839. He attended school at Negleys Run, since
known as Brilliante Hollow, in the "East End," and upon completing his
studies turned his attention to gardening as an occupation, and later added
dairying to his labors. When twenty-four years of age he was employed on
the James McCullough farm at Verona Hill, whither he had come from
Pittsburgh, and remained in that service for fourteen years. At the expira-
tion of that period he went to Oakmont and there entered the employment
of William Wade as a gardener, and continued there for a period of twenty-
nine years, dying July 3, 1914. He owned his own house at Oakmont, and
lived there not far from the Wade estate, the scene of his work. He was
married at the age of twenty-four years, at the time of his removal to
Verona Hill, to Sarah Jane Bayless, a native of Washington county. Penn-
sylvania. She w^as a daughter of William and Mary Ann (Miller) Bayless,
and a granddaughter of James Bayless, a resident of Washington, Pennsyl-
vania, and the owner of what later became known as the old Duherst farm.
William Bayless lived many of his youthful years on the Duherst farm in
Penn township, and all his life was a resident of Washington. He was a
farmer and also conducted a mill at Sandy Creek. His wife, who was



I046 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Mary Ann Miller, was a daughter of Joseph Miller, a farmer of Butler
county, whither he had moved in early time, when the country was yet a
wilderness, with bear in the mountains, and where he reared a family of
thirteen children. To them were born the following children : James Mc,
Anna J., John Ross, William H., Charles E., Frank N., George B., who died
in infancy,

(IV) John Ross King, son of John (2) and Sarah Jane (Bayless)
King, was born April 22, 1867, in Penn township, Allegheny county, Penn-
sylvania. He was educated in the public schools of Oakmont, and both
while attending school and later as a young man worked with his father.
To him, as to the three preceding generations of his family, the life of a
farmer and gardener appealed strongly, and he has accordingly devoted him-
self to a study of all kinds of plant culture and has become an expert in the
same. At first, after leaving school, he secured employment on the Wade
estate with his father, and worked there for many years, but later he was
oflfered the position of janitor at the Oakmont school, with care of the
grounds, and he has thus been employed ever since.

Mr. King married, April 24, 1892, Margaret Buschner, a native of Oak-
mont, Pennsylvania, born on the lot now occupied by herself and family.
Mrs. King is a daughter of John Gotleib and Eliza (Rimmel-Shay) Busch-
ner. Mr. Buschner was a native of Germany who came to the United States
about the middle of the last century, with a family of the name of Feistel,
who settled in the Pittsburgh vicinity, and with whom he made his home.
Here he met his future wife, a native of Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.
She was a daughter of George Rimmel, of French descent, and was first
married to John Shay, and became the mother of his three children. After
Mr. Shay's death, his widow and her father removed to Oakmont, and lived
on the Black farm, and there Mr. Rimmel made baskets. To Mr. Buschner
were born two daughters, Margaret, the wife of John R. King, and Martha
Ann Rose, now Mrs. Anderson, of Oakmont. Mr. Buschner met his death
by being thrown from a wagon. Two brothers of Mr. Buschner accom-
panied him to this country when he came here from Germany, and one
sister remained in the "Fatherland." This sister was later married, and a son
of hers eventually went to South America, where he held a professorship
in a college. He was a clever man and a great linguist, speaking seven
languages fluently.

To Mr. and Mrs. King have been born six children, as follow^s : John
Wesley, deceased ; Margaret Elizabeth ; William Wade, named for Mr,
King's old employer ; Edward Elliott ; John Ross, Jr., deceased ; and Sarah
Jane. Mr. King and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and in that persuasion are rearing their children.



Sweden has furnished us with many valuable and desir-
LINDBERG able citizens, not the least among whom are the members
of the Lindberg family.
Anders-Peter Lindberg was born in Sweden, and died in his native




/TV-^^ 0^<rM^ Jt^



1



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1047

land at the age of eighty-four years. He was a steel blower at Orebro sen
Boo Soken, Gryte Breek. He married Mary Andersen, a native of the same
town, who died at the age of eighty-five years.

Carl G. Lindberg, son of Anders-Peter and Mary (Andersen) Lind-
berg, was born in Sweden, June 9, 185 1. There he was educated in the
public schools, and was employed in steel works until 1881, in which year
he emigrated to the United States, coming to Braddock, Allegheny county,
Pennsylvania. In Braddock he entered the employ of the Edgar Thompson
Steel Works, with which he remained for the long period of twenty-nine
years. He is a Prohibitionist in politics, and a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church. Mr. Lindberg married, in 1872, Christina Earnberg, born
in Sweden in 1859, died in 191 1, and they have had children: Carl, living at
home ; Walter, a steel worker, of Braddock ; Felix, a resident of Swissvale.
married Margaret Groft, and has two children, Carl and Margaret ; Amelia,
married Dr. Rose, and has one child, Anna ; Paul, a steel worker, married
Pauline Huits, and has two children, Pauline and an infant son unnamed ;
Ida, at home ; David, a clerk in Pittsburgh, lives at home. Mr. Lindberg is
the owner of the fine house in which he is living, and of a considerable
amount of other property.



The Kestners of Fairhaven, Allegheny county, Pennsyl-
KESTNER vania, descended from an ancient family of Waltershausen.

a town in Saxony, Germany. There Bernhard Kestner,
grandfather of Bernhard Kestner, of Fairhaven, Pennsylvania, was born.
married, and lived until 1854. His son Theodore had left his native land in
1847, ^nd seven years later Bernhard joined his son in Allegheny county,
Pennsylvania, his wife being then deceased.

(I) Bernhard Kestner was born in 1798, was a tanner by trade, served
his term in the German army, came to the United States, settling on the
South Side of Pittsburgh in 1854, there died in 1864, and is buried in South
Side Cemetery. His wife was born, lived and died in Germany. Children :
I. Theodore, of further mention. 2. William, a butcher and meat dealer.
3. David, a butcher and meat dealer. 4. Christian, a butcher and meat dealer,
died on the South Side. 5. Carl, a tanner, died in Evansville, Indiana. 6.
Caroline, married Hermon Ross and died in Pittsburgh. 7. Augusta, di?d
on the South Side, unmarried.

(II) Theodore, son of Bernhard Kestner, was born in Waltershausen,
Saxony, Germany. His forebears had been tanners or butchers, and after
completing his school years Theodore Kestner learned the butcher's trade
in all its detail, slaughtering, dressing and retailing. He married young, and
in 1847 carne to the United States with his wife and brother W^illiam,
finally settling at old Manchester, now Woods Run, near Pittsburgh, Penn-
sylvania. There he remained one year, then located on the South Side of
Pittsburgh. In 1854 he was joined by his father and the other members of his
family except his mother, whose gentle form had been reverently laid away
to eternal rest in her beloved Fatherland. In 1854 Theodore Kestner estab-



I048 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

lished a slaughtering house and meat market on the South Side, and there
continued in successful business until his death, November 28, 1888. He
was a man of influence on the South Side, a RepubUcan in pohtics, repre-
senting his ward in the city council, and both he and his wife were leading
members of the Evangelical Lutheran church. Both are buried in South
Side Cemetery. He married in Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Anna, daughter of
Bernhard Mohrstet, also a native of Saxe-Coburg, that city made famous
as the home of Prince Albert, husband of Victoria, Queen of England and
Empress of India. After the death of his wife Bernhard Mohrstet came to
the United States to join his daughters Anna, Johanna and Christina. He
landed in Canada, made his way up the St. Lawrence and around the lakes
to Detroit, Michigan, from there coming to Pittsburgh, where he died a
year or two later, about 1859, and was buried in Troy Hill Cemetery. Both
he and his wife were Lutherans in religious faith. He had three daughters :
Anna, married Theodore Kestner; Johanna, married William Kestner,
brother of Theodore, and died on Pittsburgh South Side; Christina, died in
Pittsburgh. He also had three sons, two remaining in Germany, the other
emigrating to England. Anna (Mohrstet) Kestner died July 21, 1869,
leaving five children: i. Anna, married William Schafer, and resides in
Baldwin township, Allegheny county. 2. Theodore (2), his father's assist-
ant in the butcher business, died unmarried. 3. Sarah, now residing with her
brother, Bernhard, unmarried. 4. Bernhard (2). of further mention. 5.
Adolph, his father's assistant in the butcher business, died on the South Side.
(Ill) Bernhard (2), second son and fourth child of Theodore and
Anna (Mohrstet) Kestner, was born in Birmingham (now Pittsburgh),
August 21, 1857. He was educated in the old Bedford public school in the
borough, finishing his studies in Shafer's Business College. Although eight
generations of his immediate family had been butchers and tanners and his
brothers were all butchers, he decided on a new line of activity, and ap-
prenticed himself to Robinson and Rea to learn the machinist's trade. He
served four years as apprentice, worked six years as journeyman, then fate
brought him back to the family business. The death of their father in 1888
left his valuable business without a head, and joining with Adolph, his
younger brother, Bernhard abandoned his trade and the brothers jointly
conducted the business until the year 1900 when the death of Adolph Kest-
ner dissolved the very successful partnership. Bernhard Kestner continued
the business alone for one year, then made an advantageous sale and
retired. In 1901 he moved to his present home on the Brownville road,
three-eighths of a mile from the borough of Carrick, where he erected a
modern dwelling. For eight years Mr. Kestner was president of the Pro-
gressive Mutual Savings Fund, and for twelve years was a director. This
was one of the useful, successful building and loan associations of the
South Side, and under wise management did a great deal of good in that
section. On May i, 1914, he resigned from the position of commissioner
of Baldwin township, an office he had filled for two and one-half years.
He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church, and a man held in



WIvSTERN' I'KXXSYLVAXIA 1049

high esteem wherever known. His home is in Baldwin township, on Rural
Delivery Route No. i from Fair Haven. Mr. Kestner is unmarried, but
has a most capable housekeeper in the person of his maiden sister Sarah.



The Newlin family made their home in the state of Penn-
NEWLIN sylvania during its early period, and members in the various
generations have contributed their share in the early con-
flicts, one having served in the Revolutionary War and one in the War of
1812, and the love of patriotism which prompted them to ofifer their services
has been transmitted in large measure to their descendants of the present
day.

Jacob Newlin, great-grandfather of James li. Newlin, of Pitcairn, was
born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he spent his entire life.
He served as a drummer in the Revolutionary War. In early life he was
engaged in packing salt across the mountains, and later became the possessor
of a farm located near Finleyville, Pennsylvania, wdiich he cleared and
cultivated.

Thornton Newlin, grandfather of James H. Newlin, was reared on the
farm near Finleyville, Washington county, Pennsylvania. He was an active
participant in the War of 1812, giving valiant and faithful service. He was
a shoemaker by trade, at which he worked in addition to farming, conduct-
ing his agricultural operations in the Shenandoah Valley, \"irginia, one of
the most beautiful spots in the entire state, where he spent the remainder
of his days. His wife, Sarah (Lewis) Newlin. was a native of \"irginia,
a member of an old and honored family of that state. They were the
parents of nine children, among whom was David, of whom further.

David Newlin, father of James H. Newlin, was born in the Shenan-
doah Valley, Virginia, and died there. He was educated in the schools of
his neighborhood, and then gave his attention to the tilling of the soil, in
which he was successful. After his death his widow, Ruth (Elmer) Newdin.
married David Larue, and the family moved to Pennsylvania, locating in
Wilkins township, Allegheny county, where Mr. and JNIrs. Larue died.
James H. Avas the only child born to Mr. and Mrs. Newdin, but IMr. and
Mrs. Larue were the parents of four sons and four daughters.

James H. Newlin was born in the Shenandoah Valley. A'irginia. July 13.
1849. He added to the knowledge gained at school by self study, thus be-
coming well informed on a number of subjects. Being inured to farm
labor, he chose that as his work upon attaining a suitable age and followed
the same for almost a quarter of a century, the last three years conducting
his operations in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. He then began to dig
coal, at which he continued for twelve years, and during eight years of this
period served as constable of Patten township, to which office he was elected,
and for a similar period of time served as tax collector. He again took up
the work of farming, which he followed for one year, and was then ap-
pointed supervisor of Patten township, to the duties of which he gave his
entire attention for some time. In 1895 he erected a dwelling house in



I050 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Pitcairn, with a store in the lower part, and he conducted a general business
there for eighteen years, at the expiration of which time he sold out, and
during three years of this time acted also as constable of Pitcairn. In 1909
he was elected justice of the peace and is still serving in that capacity, his
term to expire in the year 1915. He is capable and efficient in the perform-
ance of his duties, and he is steadily advancing in the estimation of the
public. He holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and the
Knights of Pythias, and is a Democrat in politics.

Mr. Newlin married, 1871, Milison Wright, of West Virginia, daughter
of David and Lucinda (Anderson) Wright. Children, all living in Pitcairn
and all married: i. Ida Lee, married Harry Naley; children: Ruth L. and
Elmer. 2. Alice Christina, married L. A. Weaver, no children. 3. John
Thomas, married Mrs. Mary Sloan ; children : James, John T. and Bertha.
4. James H., married Mrs. Dora Lee, one child, Winifred. 5. Katherine
Lenore, married (first) George Bolen, by whom she had Allen, George and
Russell; she married (second) Clem Cherry, and has two children, Ethel M.
and Clarence. The family are well known in Pitcairn, active in community
affairs and advocates of all enterprises that advance the interests of the
section.



From Saxony, Germany, many years ago came two
WUNDERLICH sons of Gottleib Wunderlich, settling in Allegheny
county in the year 1865. These two sons were Chris-
tian, a coal miner, who was drowned in the Youghiogheny river forty years
ago, leaving a wife and six children, and Carl Frederick Wunderlich, late
of Forward township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. Gottleib Wunder-
lich was a weaver of Saxony, and there married, lived and died, leaving
eight children, six of whom remained in their native land.

Carl Frederick Wunderlich was born in Saxony, Germany, July 24,
1836, died in Forward township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, April 14,
1914. He obtained a good education in the local schools of his district, and
remained in his native land until 1865, then with his wife came to this
country, settling on the Penney farm on the Youghiogheny river, now a
part of the borough of Port Vue. He rented at first for a few years, but
as he prospered became a land owner. He was industrious and thrifty, a
good farmer, and thoroughly understood how to make his land produce
bountifully. His first purchase was a small one, the land now being part of
the town of Glassport. During his earlier years in Allegheny county he
worked in the coal mines as well as on his land, and from this double in-
come soon saved capital for a larger purchase. In 1894 he sold his Glass-
port farm and purchased one hundred and six acres in Forward township,
on which he lived until his death in 1914. He brought his land to a high
state of productiveness and through his energy and capability, prospered.
He was a Democrat in politics, but took little part in public afifairs, his family
being his greatest interest in life.

He married, in June, 1863. in Saxony, Fredericka Pauline Baumble,



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 105 1

born in the same province as iiimself, in the town of Konig-Keicht, Saxony,
Germany, June 3, 1840, daughter of Terguat and Caroline (Carnir) Baum-
ble. Children: i. William, born in Saxony, died aged twenty-eight. 2.
Emma, born ''n Saxony, Germany ; married Joseph Crossland, and resides
in Port Vue, Pennsylvania ; children : Fred, married Estella Smith, and has
Fred and Roger; Mary, married Wesley Steenburgh, and has Watson and

Bertha; Charles, married Bessie ; Pauline and Irene, twins. 3.

Marguerite, married John Cochenour, and has Fred, Helen and Willard.
4. Caroline, married Robert McClure, and has a daughter Anna. 5. Mary,
married William Heath, and has Carl, Clifford, Clyde, Leroy, Fred and
Ruth. 6. Fred, married Charlotte Jedico, and resides in Elizabeth; children:
Pauline, Ruth, Anna and Donald. 7. Lizzie, married William Smith, and
has Pauline, Howard, Wallace, Arthur and Elizabeth. 8. John, married
Linnie Jedico, and resides in Youngstown, Ohio ; children : Minnie, Emma,
John, Catherine and Harold. 9. Conrad, married Alice Kelly, and resides
in Duquesne; children: Charles, William and Conrad. 10. Charles, a
farmer on the old home, married Bessie Cochenour ; children : Mary, Harvey
and Albert. 11. Harvey, also a farmer at home. Mrs. Wunderlich sur-
vives her husband, and with her two sons resides on the farm purchased
by her husband in 1894.



The original seat of the McCloskey family was in Ire-

McCLOSKEY land, where they were noted for honesty, thrift and

enterprise, and the descendants of the family, who have

made their home in the New World, inherited in large degree the same

worthy characteristics.

John McCloskey, the pioneer ancestor of the family, was born in Ire-
land, was reared and educated there, and in 1833 came to the L'nited States
and located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he spent the remainder of
his days. His life was an active and useful one, and his death was deeply
regretted. He married Jane Mullen, also a native of Ireland, whose death
occurred in Pittsburgh, and among their children was John, of whom further.

John McCloskey, son of the pioneer ancestor, was born in Ireland, at-
tended the schools in the vicinity of his home, and then served an appren-
ticeship at the trade of tailor, which line of work he followed successfully
in the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, whither he accompanied his parents,
and where he spent the greater part of his life. In later years he became the
owner of a farm consisting of one hundred and thirty acres, which he culti-
vated and improved, the same being now occupied by his son John, of whom
further. He married Minetta Harris, a native of Germany, and they were
the parents of three children : John, Elizabeth, Jane.

John McCloskey, eldest of the three children above mentioned, was
born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May i, 1837. He obtained his prelimi-
nary education in the common schools of his native city, and then pursued a
course in Duff's Business College, which thoroughly qualified him for the
activities of life. His chief occupation was as clerk, serving in that capacity



I052 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

in various concerns, but since 1894 he has given his attention to farming
operations on the farm purchased by his father, giving especial attention
to the raising of fruit, his efforts meeting with well deserved success. About
the year 1899 '""^ erected his present residence, which was entirely remodeled
in 1910, adding greatly to its attractiveness and to the comfort of its in-
mates. His life has been an active and useful one, and he well merits the
respect in which he is held by all who know him.

Mr. AlcCloskey married, February 9, 1869, Elizabeth ]\Iellon, of Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, who died April, 1888. They were the parents of one
child, Mary, born February 2, 1875, married, June 29, 1895, William G.
Croft, and they reside on the farm with her father. Mr. and Mrs. Croft
are the parents of three children: Elizabeth Mellon, wife of Henry Aubele,
of Oakmont, Pennsylvania, one child, William Croft Aubele ; John, Minetta
Harris, both of whom reside at home. The family are members of
Colemans Catholic Church.



The Davidsons of the branch represented by Wilson M.
DAVIDSON Davidson, of Verona, Pennsylvania, descend from Scotch-
Irish families, Davidson and McLaughlin, of Butler and
Westmoreland counties, Pennsylvania. The Davidsons came from Ireland,
settling in Butler county. There the parents came with children : David,
James, Martha, Elizabeth, Nancy, John and others.

(II) John Davidson was born in Ireland, and in early life worked on
the Butler county farm, on which his parents settled after coming to Penn-
sylvania. Later he located on Federal street, Allegheny city, where he
resided until his death in 1852; he was a mill worker. He married Nancy
McLaughlin, daughter of Edward (2) and Mary (Speer) McLaughlin,
both of Scotch lineage, residents of Unity Station, Allegheny county, Penn-
sylvania. The McLaughlins were early settlers in Allegheny county, Ed-
ward (i) McLaughlin first settling at the Forks of the Ohio, but not liking
the location, took up one thousand acres at what is now Unity Station, in
preference to the land, a great deal of which is now within Pittsburgh city
limits. Edward IMcLaughlin and his son, Edward, both served in the Ameri-
can army during the jNIexican War. The one thousand original acres were
divided among the children of Edward, the founder, each child receiving a
farm. The Speers were also early settlers. Edward and Mary (Speer)
McLaughlin had issue : Jemima May, Zephaniah, Zachariah, Jane, Nancy.
Children of John and Nancy Davidson: W^ilson Miller, of further mention;
Mary Jane, died aged twelve months.

(III) Wilson Miller Davidson, only son of John and Nancy (Mc-
Laughlin) Davidson, was born in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, December 5,
1849. He was three years of age when his father died and from then until
his ninth year he lived with his uncle. Wade McLaughlin, at Unity Station.
His mother then bought eighty-five acres, lying between the present towns of
Milltown and North Bessemer, and there Wilson M. lived until 1889, having
the management of the farm as soon as he became old enough. In 1889 he




^~^^k^z£Len^ Qt^, -WoAAcUzr^



A^ —



WIvSTKRX PENNSYLVAXIy\ 1053

bought the Robert Black farm of one hundred and fifty-five acres in Penn
township, where he has ever since resided, a general farmer, i)rosperous
and contented. He is an elder of Unity Presbyterian Church, which he



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 67 of 72)