John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) online

. (page 16 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) → online text (page 16 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Abraham Cutright, and lived in Parkersburg, West Virginia. 3. Blanche,
lives in the family home at Coal Valley. 4. Samuel, a farmer, resides in
Coal Valley, at the old home. 5. William E., of whom further. 6. Frank
McClure, of whom further. 7. John Chamberline. of whom further. 8.



i2o6 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

Mary, lives in the family home at Coal Valley. 9. Matthew, a practicing
dentist of Clairton, Pennsylvania, lives at home. William and Caroline Reed
had two other children, Fannie and Milton, who died in ^infancy.

(IV) William E. Reed, son of William and Caroline (Miller) Reed,
was born in Jefferson township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, January
18, 1872. He was educated in the public schools and the Indiana State
Normal School, after completing his studies in the latter place teaching
schools for a period of one year. He was for two years following a student
in Washington and Jefferson College, and in 1898 enlisted in Company H,
Tenth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, when war with Spain
became an actuality. He was in the United States military service from
May 22, 1898, until August 22, 1899, stationed in the Philippine Islands,
and took part in the battle of Manila. For a large part of this time his
company was engaged in almost daily skirmishes in the guerilla warfare
that characterized the tactics of the natives.

Returning to Pennsylvania after the close of the war Mr. Reed became
a shoe merchant at Wilkinsburg, where he remained for eight months,
then pursued the same line of business in Duquesne for five years. After
disposing of his interests in this business he was elected borough clerk, filling
this office until April i, 1914. While the incumbent of this position, which
he held for eight years, in 1907, Mr. Reed began real estate and fire in-
surance dealings, at the same time devoting a part of his time to agricultural
operations. At the present time he is representative of eight of the leading
fire insurance companies, and through wide and extensive handling of real
estate has established a reputation as a business man, reliable and capable.
He is a Republican sympathizer, and fraternizes with the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks.

Mr. Reed married, in 1902, Mary E. Bradshaw, born in Coal Valley,
Pennsylvania, daughter of Robert and Mary Bradshaw. They are the
parents of: Robert, Donald, Gerald, Margaret, Mary, and Jean, died in
infancy.

(IV) Frank McClure Reed, son of William and Caroline (Miller)
Reed, was born in Jefferson township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania,
September 26, 1874. He attended the Lowry District School in his native
township, and from this he went to the First Ward School in McKeesport,
Pennsylvania. In succession he was then a pupil at the Indiana State
Normal School, Slippery Rock Normal School, and Grove City College.
While a student he achieved prominence as a football player, holding the
position of center rush. In 1895 he obtained a clerical position in the county
commissioner's office, at Pittsburgh, remained there two years, and while
there played on the Pittsburgh Athletic Club Football Team. In 1896 he
was employed by William J. Morris, of Pittsburgh, to act as assistant super-
intendent of the Morris & Bailey Steel Mills at Wilson, Pennsylvania, and
with the exception of one and a half years, has been connected with the
company since that time. During this year and a half he was in the employ
of the Clairton Steel Company as cashier and real estate manager, and



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1207

lived at Clairton, Pennsylvania. In 1903 he was appointed manager and
superintendent of the entire Morris & Bailey Steel Works at Wilson, and
is still the incumbent of that position. He has about three hundred men
and boys in his employ and they manufacture cold rolled steel for stamping
and drawing purposes. He owns and lives in the fine old William Payne
homestead, near Wilson. He is Republican in political matters, and served
as a member of the borough council at Clairton. He was the first president
of the council when the borough of Wilson was organized. Mr. Reed is a
life member of McKeesport Lodge, No. 136, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, of McKeesport.

Mr. Reed married, April 22, 1896, Jessie, born in Mifflin township, a
daughter of William and Margaret Forsythe, both still living on a farm in
MifHin township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where the family has
long been resident. Mrs. Reed is a member of Lebanon Presbyterian
Church. Children : Paul Chambers, born June 28, 1897 ; Cleopatra, born
December 5, 1898; William, born February 13, 1900; Helen, born October
II, 1901 ; Blanche, born January 16, 1903, died February 20, 1903; Thomas
B., born December 12, 1907; Homer John, born July 3, 1910.

(IV) Dr. John Chamberline Reed, son of William and Caroline (Miller j
Reed, was born in Jefferson township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania,
June 26, 1877. After the completion of his youthful studies he entered
the Slippery Rock Normal School. Pie was graduated from this institution
in 1898, and for two years was a school teacher in Mifflin township, Alle-
gheny county. He then enrolled in the medical department of the Uni-
versity of Western Pennsylvania, where he was awarded his M.D. in 1907.
For a time he was an interne in St. Francis' Hospital, and since January,
1908, has been engaged in active practice at Duquesne, Pennsylvania. His
medical societies are the Duquesne, County, and State, and he is also identi-
fied with the American Medical Association. His political tendencies are
Republican. Dr. Reed has become firmly established in the good favor
of a large practice, for attendance upon which he is ably qualified, and fills
a responsible position in the medical profession in Duquesne.

Dr. Reed married, in 191 1, Emma, born in Sharon. Pennsylvania,
daughter of Charles and Mayme (McClure) Phillips, and has one son,
John Chamberline Jr.



Of the two lines of this family founded in Pennsylvania by
GRAHAM William and Matthew Graham, this chronicle deals with
the latter. Matthew Graham was born in Scotland, and
prior to the War for Independence came to the colonies, locating in Phila-
delphia and there becoming a merchant. He was a loyal friend of American
independence, and during the Revolutionary War aided the Colonial cause
in substantial measure, at its close moving west of the mountains to Alle-
gheny county. He and one of the McKees became involved in a suit over
title to the land upon which the city of McKeesport was later built,
adjudication being against Mr. Graham, and he located on Brush Creek,



i2o8 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

near Warrendale, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, entering several hundred
acres at the junction of Beaver, Butler and Allegheny counties. This
property has descended in the family through succeeding generations, and
is now in the possession of the children of O. P. Graham.

(II) William Graham, son of Matthew Graham, was born in Butler
county, Pennsylvania. He was a soldier under Commodore Perry in the
second war with Great Britain, and soon after the great victory of that
famous commander on Lake Erie returned to his home. He was, as were
all who witnessed the gallant bravery of Perry in that battle, a strong
admirer of the young Commodore, and a son born to him soon afterward
was named in honor of his former commander, bearing the name Oliver
Hazard Perry Graham.

(III) Oliver Hazard Perry Graham, son of William Graham, was
born in Butler county, Pennsylvania. He passed his life on the farm that
had been the home of his father and grandfather, cultivating its acres, and
also followed the trade of shoemaker. He married Elizabeth Morgan,
one of his sons, Oliver Hazard Perry Jr., becoming a minister of the
Methodist Episcopal church, another, Orin P., of whom further.

(IV) Orin P. Graham, son of Oliver Hazard Perry Graham, was born
in Butler county, Pennsylvania, and lived on the homestead farm all of his
life. He was a successful agriculturist, a man held in high esteem by his
neighbors, and served for ten years as a member of the school board. His
political party was the Republican. He married Mary Allan, a native of
Butler county, Pennsylvania, and had children : Allan, of whom further ;
Park P., lives on the home farm; Frank P., a missionary of the Presbyterian
church, stationed in the interior of Brazil, South America; Mary V., mar-
ried William J. Rowan, and resides near Ogle, Butler county, Pennsylvania.

(V) Allan Graham, son of Orin P. and Mary (Allan) Graham, was
born near Evans City, Butler county, Pennsylvania, March 31, 1873. When
he was sixteen years of age he was graduated from the public schools, and
he completed his education in the Slippery Rock State Normal School, and
was graduated from that institution in the class of 1900 with the degree of
A.M. Prior to his entrance at the Slippery Rock State Normal School he
had for five years taught school, and after his graduation he accepted a
position with the Stirling Steel Company, with which concern he remained
for two years, at the same time attending the Douglass Business College,
completing his course there in 1902. The following six years he passed in
the employ of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company,
and in 1908 he assumed charge of the Long Run School in Versailles town-
ship, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, retaining this position for three
years. He then became associated with the school at East McKeesport,
Pennsylvania, and holds his place there to the present time. Mr. Graham is
an instructor of experience and ability and has met with favorable success
in each position he has been called to fill. He is popular with his pupils,
his fair, open treatment compellng respect, and his teaching, combining
scientific methods with the realities impressed by experience, is forceful and
effective.



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1209

He has been a resident of East McKeesport since 1896, the houses of
East McKeesport then numbering less than a dozen, and he has been
closely connected with the growth it has experienced in that time. Active
in the organization of the borough, he served for six years as a member
of the council, and the two years that he passed as a member of the school
board extended over the period in which the commodious new building was
erected. Mr. Graham's familiarity with the methods of procedure in the
school board, and his appreciation of the difficulties under which such a
board must always labor, have lent a new value to his connection with the
school as a teacher, insuring a degree of co-operation that is most desirable.
He is a Republican in affairs of national import, but in matters of local
politics acts independently of such affiliation. He is a communicant of the
Presbyterian church, and fraternizes with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and the Order of Independent Americans.

Mr. Graham married (first) September 10, 1900, Mary Russell;
(second) January 25, 1904, Sarah Holler, daughter of John M. and Mary
(May) Holler, of Bedford county, Pennsylvania. John M. Holler was a
son of George Washington and Louisa (Metzgar) Holler, natives of Bed-
ford county, Pennsylvania, George Washington Holler was a farmer, and
with his son, John M., was a soldier in the Union army in the Civil War.
Harry, one of the sons of John M. and Mary (May) Holler, was a soldier
in the Spanish-American war, serving a three-year enlistment in the Philif>-
pine Islands, surviving his service, as did his father and grandfather in
the Civil War. Mary (May) Holler was a daughter of Jacob and Sarah
(Woolford) May, natives of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, members of
families long resident in that region. By his first marriage Allan Graham
was the father of one son, Orin Russell. By his second he has six children :
John Holler, Floyd Fleming, Reba May, Ruth Leota, Grace Leona, Oliver
Perry.



About the time of the Revolutionary War three brothers, of
GRAY Scotch-Irish descent, came from England to America. They

were William and David Gray, and their brother, whose name
is no longer of record. The tradition is that David Gray, who had settled
with his brothers in what is now Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania,
while clearing a farm from the dense forests in that section, was captured
by the Indians and tied to a tree while they deliberated what should be
done with him. They finally decided to carry him into their camp, which
they did, and the story goes that he married a squaw, but further than
that nothing is related of him.

(I) William Gray, one of the three brothers, and progenitor of the
family of which this memoir treats, also settled in Westmoreland county.
He was among the pioneers of Western Pennsylvania, cleared a farm at
Brush Creek, near Irwin, Westmoreland county, and died there in 1794.
He married Mary Borland, who married (second) Hugh Torrance, and



I2IO WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

lived in that section for some years longer. Mr. and Mrs. Gray had children :
James, born in 1788; George, of further mention; John, born in 1792.

(II) George Gray, son of William and Mary (Borland) Gray, was
born June 25, 1791, in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and died Sep-
tember 7, 1876, in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. Upon attaining a suit-
able age he learned the blacksmith's trade, and followed this for many
years in North Versailles township, between East McKeesport and Turtle
Creek. The shop was still standing in 1907, although in a dilapidated con-
dition. Later in life he became an extensive land owner and engaged in
farming. He married Jane Hope, March 9, 1813, and they had children:
James, born in 1815, died in 1891, was a farmer in Penn township, near
New Texas; William, born in 1817, was a blacksmith all his life on the old
homestead, and died on the Greensburg Pike ; Oliver Perry, born 1819,
died 1821 ; Mary Jane, born 1822, married John Drennan, and died in
Irwin, Pennsylvania ; George, born 1824, who was merchant at Meadville,
died there; Richard Hope, of further mention; John Borland, born 1832,
who removed to Iowa, then to Maryville, Missouri, where he is now living
retired; Robert, born 1834, removed to Awasso, Michigan, where he died;
Margaret Ann, born 1837, married Robert Boyd, and lives near Webster,
Fayette county, Pennsylvania.

(III) Richard Hope Gray, son of George and Jane (Hope) Gray, was
born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, February 7, 1830, and died in
Braddock, Pennsylvania, October 6, 1898. He was apprenticed to learn
the trade of wagon making, later becoming a carpenter and builder, occupa-
tions he followed for about twenty-five years at the present town of Wil-
merding. He then entered the employ of Carnegie, Phipps & Company,
Limited, at Homestead, as storekeeper and timekeeper, a f)osition he held
until about one year prior to his death at the home of his son in Braddock,
Pennsylvania. He was in active military service during the last year of
the Civil War, being a member of Company E, One Hundred and Fourth
Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Fifth Heavy Artillery. He
was a Republican politically, and served one term as justice of the peace in
North Versailles township. He and his wife were life-long members of
the United Presbyterian church, and he served as ruling elder both at Turtle
Creek and at Homestead, Pennsylvania. He married, May 8, 185 1, Martha
E. Shaw, born July 3, 1832, died in Braddock, April 4, 1898. They had
children : Rachel Hughey, born August 24, 1852, is unmarried, and lives
with her brother ; George Eddy Franklin, of further mention ; Ida Lizzie,
born June 2, 1866, died May 6, 1875. Mrs. Gray was a daughter of Robert
E. Shaw, born November 30, 1793, and Rachel (Hughey) Shaw, born
February 22, 1799, who were married November 10, 1825, and both of
whom were early residents of Allegheny county in Patton township near
Wilmerding, where they were members of the United Presbyterian church
of Turtle Creek, being buried at Brush Creek. Mr. Shaw was at one time
a member of the Turtle Creek Home Guards. They had children : Dorcas
Jane, born April 29, 1830, who died unmarried, March 17, 1904, in Wil-




_-¬ї, J^J-itrXai^'-rJSrrXl -




WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1211

kinsburg, while living with her sister Elizabeth ; Martha E., mentioned
above; David, born November 23, 1834, died in Braddock, September 17,
1906, while living with his nephew, Mr. Gray ; Elizabeth born September
6, 1838, died in Braddock, March 24, 1914, married James B. McDonough,
of Scott township, Allegheny county.

(IV) George Eddy Franklin Gray, son of Richard Hope and Martha
E. (Shaw) Gray, was born in Wilmerding, then called Spring Hill, Alle-
gheny county, Pennsylvania, September 3, 1856. He received a practical
education in the common schools of North Versailles township and Duff's
College, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. January 18, 1873, he entered the employ
of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, as passenger brakeman, and re-
mained with this corporation until October, 1879. Two years were then
spent in the employ of the Dithridge Chimney Company of Pittsburgh, as
invoice clerk and paymaster. On September 14, 1881, he entered the employ
of the Carnegie Steel Company, Edgar Thomson Works, at that time operat-
ing under the name of Carnegie Brothers & Company, Limited, as a rail
inspector in the finishing department, and at the end of three months was
made a record clerk, and in October, 1886, was advanced to the position
of chief clerk of the Homestead Steel Works, Munhall, Pennsylvania. In
January, 1888, he went to the Allegheny Bessemer Steel Company, at
Duquesne, in a similar capacity. In November, 1890, Carnegie Brothers
& Company, Limited, bought out the latter, but Mr. Gray remained in
charge of the office of said works until March i, 1895, when he was trans-
ferred to the Edgar Thomson Works, and has remained there since, as chief
clerk in the accounting department. Mr. Gray has shown executive and
financial ability ; was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of
Duquesne, of which he was a director for several years, and also served
as a director of the McKeesport National Bank. He has always given his
allegiance to the Republican party. He served as a member of the board of
health of Braddock for two years, and was elected to the town council from
the third ward, October 3, 1904. to which office he has been elected succes-
sively since, and during the past eight years has served as president of that
honorable body. He was elected a member and treasurer of the board of
trustees of the Carnegie Free Library, Braddock, on April 15, 1902, which
position he holds at the present time. His religious affiliation has always
been with the United Presbyterian church ; he was ordained in Homestead,
February 22, 1893. and is now ruling elder in the First United Presbyterian
Church, Braddock. His fraternal membership is with Conclave No. 89,
Improved Order of Heptasophs, of Pittsburgh.

Mr. Gray married, January 14, 1886, Sarah W. Boyd, bom September
16, 1862, in Patton township, died in Braddock, January 27, 1897, a daugh-
ter of Eli W. and Sarah (Shaw) Boyd, and they have had children:
Martha Shaw, born March 24, 1891, attended public schools of Braddock
and was graduated from the Northfield Seminary, East Northfield, Massa-
chusetts, June, 191 1, married to George W. Weller Jr., February 16, 1915;
Sarah Boyd, born December 24, 1895, died June 19, 1896.



I2I2 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

At an early day John Lougeay, a locksmith, came to West-
LOUGEAY em Pennsylvania from Maryland, settling in Birmingham
(Pittsburgh). He married Wilhelmina Ehmson and left
issue.

(II) William Anthony Lougeay, son of John and Wilhelmina (Ehm-
son) Lougeay, was born in Birmingham, Pennsylvania, and obtained a good
education in the public schools. When young he began working in a glass
house for his uncle. Christian Ehmson, and when of suitable age apprenticed
himself to the blacksmith's trade, serving his time with Abraham Goch-
eneaur. Later he bought out his employer's business and conducted a
successful smithy for many years. From 1853 until i860 he was engaged
as a bookkeeper. WiUiam A. Lougeay served as a member of the school
board of the town for several years and was always interested in school
improvement. He was a well read rhan and was held in high esteem by his
neighbors. He married Crissy Ann Ensel, born in Birmingham, daughter
of John and Mary Ensel, of an early family, John Ensel having been the
first man to hold the office of justice of the peace in old Birmingham. Chil-
dren : John, deceased; Robert Patterson, of further mention; Phoebe, mar-
ried Alexander Frew, and resides in Pittsburgh.

(III) Robert Patterson Lougeay, second son of William Anthony and
Crissy Ann (Ensel) Lougeay, was born in Birmingham (Pittsburgh) No-
vember 15, 1851. He was educated in the public schools, and after com-
pleting his studies became his father's apprentice, working with the latter
at blacksmithing for seven years. About 1875 he began as a general con-
tractor and has been continuously engaged as a contractor until the present
date with office at 1882 Douglass avenue, Pittsburgh. In 1898 he purchased
a farm of fifty acres in Penn township and there since 1913 he has resided,
operating his farm in connection with his contracting business. His resi-
dence in Pittsburgh was in the twenty-second ward and as a representative
of that ward he served four terms in the city as alderman, twice by election
and twice by appointment. For nearly a quarter of a century he served on
the local board of education and for thirteen years was a member of the
central board. He has always taken a deep interest in the schools and all
that pertained to their betterment. He is a member of the Presbyterian
church, and in politics is a Republican.

Mr. Lougeay married (first) in 1873, Anna Irwin, who bore him Wil-
liam, Susan I., Robert and Anna Elizabeth, the latter dying in infancy.
He married (second) in 1887, Rebecca Kelly McCombs. Children: John
McCombs, and Mary, who died aged eight years.



Ohio was the home of the members of this branch of the
MORRIS Morris family prior to the settlement in Pennsylvania of

Leander Milton Morris. His father, William Morris, was
born in East Liverpool. Ohio, and there passed his entire life, becoming
prominent in local affairs and a justice of the peace. He married Maria
Bradfield, who died in the same place.



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1213

Leander Milton Morris, son of William and Maria (Bradfield) Morris,
was bom in Wellsville, Ohio, August i, 1832. He was educated in Beaver
College, located at Beaver, Pennsylvania. After completing his studies he
was for a time a bookkeeper, then traveled in the interest of Bennett,
Potter & Birmingham, a Pittsburgh firm. He subsequently accepted a
position in Alliance, in his native state, as ticket agent and train dispatcher
on the Fort Wayne & Pittsburgh railroad, afterward returning to Pitts-
burgh and entering Dixon Marshall's foundry at the corner of Twenty-
second and Penn avenues. In 1886 he made his home at Oakmont, on the
bank of the Allegheny river, and in 1899 he retired to this place, where he
afterward lived a life of ease and quiet. Mr. Morris was one of the
organizers of the Oakmont Bank, and was the president of this institution
until his death. His political principles were always Democratic, and
he served as a member of council, being largely instrumental in secur-
ing for Oakmont a Carnegie Library, Mr. Morris using his influence with
Andrew Carnegie for this purpose. Mr. Morris had a long, busy and useful
life, passed in the favor and approbation of his fellows, the prominence that
he gained being the attribute to an upright character and a forceful per-
sonality. With his wife he was a member of the First Baptist Church, of
Pittsburgh. He died November 7, 1910.

Mr. Morris married, in 1856, Mary Jane, daughter of Morando and
Mary (Metcalf) Bliss, of Pittsburgh- South Side, her father a native of
Sing Sing, New York, her mother born in Manchester, England. Morando
Bliss was one of the most expert workers at his trade, that of glass cutter, in
the United States, and died in Pittsburgh South Side. Living children of
Leander Milton and Mary Jane (Bliss) Morris: Harry E., Fred, Edward
D., Cora B., Mary B., and George Ehiflf.



The grandparents of H. R. McPherson, of the village
McPHERSON of Frank, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, came to the

United States from county Antrim, Ireland, bringing a
son, John, then a lad of eight years. The family settled in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, where the lad, John McPherson, began working at the age



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) → online text (page 16 of 92)