John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) online

. (page 66 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) → online text (page 66 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Sunday school, one of the most flourishing of the church organizations, a
fact due in no small measure to his energetic and wise efforts to maintain
a school that would prove a true inspiration to the young people who at-
tended and a strengthening help to those whose privilege it was to teach
them. His political faith was Republican and for many years he held office
as justice of the peace. He married, October 31, 1844, Lavina Anna Lewis,
born in Sheridan, Chautauqua county, New York, July 15, 1821, died June
18, 1905. Children of Moses Sabin and Lavina Anna (Lewis) Edmunds:
I. Anna, died May 27, 1913, married William Hewett, and was the mother
of several children. 2. Byron Moses, of whom further. 3. Clark Salem,
born July 27, 1849, lives in the home of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, in Philadelphia. 4. Morris Lewis, born May 31, 1852, married
Eflfa Johnson, and have Frank, Fenno, Forest, Flossie, and Fannie. 5. Alice,
born May 26, 1857, married (first) Robert Martin, (second) a Mr. Sanders.

(VIII) Byron Moses, son of Moses Sabin and Lavina Anna (Lewis)
Edmunds, was born in Waterford. Erie county, Pennsylvania, July 18,
1847. His residence in the place of his birth was short, for when he was
three years of age his parents moved to the old Brainard homestead on the
Meadville and Erie turnpike. This was his home until he was seventeen
years of age, his youthful days being spent in attendance at the Isherwood
district school. The family home was then moved to the Matchett farm,
three miles south of Waterford, later to Pollock's Bridge, and on August
22, 1869, Mr. Edmunds came to Blacktown, being there employed for one
year as fireman and engineer in a lumber mill. In 1871 he established a
blacksmith's shop in Mill Village, having learned that trade under his
father's preceptorship, and followed that occupation until 1887. when for
three years he conducted farming operations on the Lunger homestead. He
returned to Mill Village and to his shop in 1890, and has since been there



1592 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

engaged continuously, with the exception of three years spent in the lumber
woods at North Kane, Pennsylvania, in the employ of Campbell & Springer.
He is a mechanic of the first order, and holds the generous patronage, not
only of the town's residents, but of the farmers of the nearby vicinity, his
long-established reputation being known throughout the country-side. His
political support is granted the Republican party, and as a member of that
party he has served his community as tax collector, member of the state
police, and has for many years been constable. His church is the Methodist
Episcopal, to which his wife belonged at the time of her death. He is a
member of Mill Village Lodge, No. 349, Encampment No. 3, and Union
City Canton, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Edmunds is one
of the most universally well-regarded citizens of Mill Village, deserving
the large share of good-will and respect that is accorded him, for his entire
career has been marked by the strictest rectitude and a lofty sense of honor.
To his family he has been a loving, devoted parent, and his union with
her whom he chose as his life partner was blessed with naught but happi-
ness and joy.

He married, August 22, 1869, Elizabeth Alice, daughter of Isaac and
Elizabeth (Burger) Lunyer, born December 30, 1859, died May 20, 1902.
Children of Byron Moses and Elizabeth Alice (Lunyer) Edmunds: i.
George Austin, born October 24, 1872, died in February, 1873. 2. Edith
Delphine, born November 2, 1874, married William Chase, and lives in
Waterford. Children: Roland Milo, Park Linford, Thelma Luella, and
Orville William. 3. Mabel Lunett, born October 26, 1876, married Alonzo
H. Hewett, and lives in Wheelertown, Pennsylvania. Children : Pearl and
Freda. 4. Luella Ada. born July 20, 1880, married Gale M. McCray, and
has one daughter, Bernice Delphine. 5. C. Park, born in Mill Village, Erie
county, Pennsylvania, February 13, 1885, died June 3, 1913. He attended
the public schools of Mill Village and the Waterford Academy, later enter-
ing Bucknell College, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, and was graduated from the
electrical engineering course of that institution. He immediately entered
the employ of the Westinghouse Electrical and Manufacturing Company,
at Pittsburgh, entering the three years' practical training class, during that
time holding a position as instructor in electricity in a night school of the
city. He was making excellent progress in his profession and had before
him a brilliant future in the service of that great concern, when he met
with an accident that caused his instant death, twenty-five thousand volts
of electricity passing through his body, death following instantaneously.
His death was tragic in that it occurred when he was little more than a
youth, and was caused by the agent of which he had become so thoroughly
master. Many loyal friends mourn his absence, and the heartfelt sympathy
of all was extended in loving remembrance to his bereaved family. He held
membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and belonged to the Mill
Village Lodge, No. 349, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the services
at his grave being conducted according to the burial ritual of that order.
Representatives of his Bucknell fraternity, the Demosthenean, attended his



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1593

funeral, Rev. George W. Middleton, Professor W. K. Rhodes, and C. R.
Dooley, the latter the representative of the Westinghouse Company, taking
part in the services.



John Hunter and wife came to America from Ireland in the
HUNTER year 1774 and settled near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His
wife, Jane (Smith) Hunter, was a sister of James Smith,
one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He was a success-
ful farmer and a man of great influence in the community. He was a mem-
ber of the Lutheran church. To this union were born seven children : James,
of further mention ; Mary, Jane, Isabelle, David, John and William.

;^ James Hunter and his father, John Hunter, purchased from the Holland
Land Company, October 21, 1800, a tract of land consisting of 412 acres
(strict measure), each taking 206 acres, dividing in half lengthwise of tract.
This tract is situated three miles east of Meadville in District No. 2, com-
monly called Powers Tract, being a part of tract of land called Hall's Tract.
This was surveyed the 15th day of June, 1794, in pursuance of a warrant
granted to Chasper Hall, by him conveyed to the parties of the first part,
confirmed by patent, February 16, 1799, enrolled in Rolls Office in Patent
Book No. 30, on page 40, complying in comformity to the Act of April 3,
1792, viz: "To erect or cause to be erected fit for the habitation of man
and to reside or cause a family to reside therein and to clear and fence
at least eight acres of said land, all of which the said James Hunter and
his father, John, has alleged he hath done. Identitor of Deed given by the
Holland Land Company for this tract of land one year later, December
10, 1801."

(II) James Hunter, son of John and Jane (Smith) Hunter, was bom
near Pittsburgh, in 1775, and died in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, in
1865, at the old Hunter homestead, of further mention. He was also very
successful as a farmer and business man and highly respected among his
fellow citizens as a general counselor and adviser. The farmer neighbor
friends would drive miles to hear him spin his stories. In that line he was
considered a pastmaster. James Hunter built a log cabin on this tract
within sight of the present old Hunter homestead, of further mention.
His lot was that of the majority of the old settlers, full of trouble and he
was greatly annoyed by the depredations of the Indians. In the year 1815
James Hunter was awakened from his night slumbers by his faithful watch
dogs near the barn. He went out to ascertain the cause and found his
faithful dogs had treed a horse thief and burglar in the manger. He com-
manded of them to bring out their gain. They did so and led Mr. Van Hol-
land into the house, where he was carefully guarded until daybreak by Mr.
Hunter and his wife, with his faithful rifle in hand. He discovered at
daybreak that his best horse was saddled and bridled by Van Holland,
l^pon this party's person Mr. Hunter found a paper giving names of a few
of his neighbors that were marked for robbery and death. One of these
lived within a half mile, directly west. Mr. Hunter, with this information



1594 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

at hand, piloted Mr. Van Holland up by where this frail couple lived, then
informed him if he ever made another errand of this nature out his way,
he v^^ould kill him and save the county expenses. Less than thirty days
afterwards, Mr. Van Holland was stopping over night with a settler south
of Meadville, and was infatuated with the wife. He arose in the night
and killed the settler and insisted upon the wife going with him. He was
caught, convicted and hanged in Meadville, the first execution ever taking
place in Crawford county. Mr. Hunter was a soldier in the war of 1812,
a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat at all times.

Mr. Hunter married Sarah Cunningham in 1801. Sarah Cunningham
was born in 1775, died in 1859. To this union was born eight children: 1.
John Alexander, born June 28, 1802, died November 18, 1803. 2. William
C, born June 8, 1805, died February 22, 1849. 2. Isabella, born July 28,
1807, died April i, 1864. 4. James, born August 6, 1809. 5. Mary, bom
October 12, 1812, died May 19, 1898. 6. Andrew Jackson, of further men-
tion. 7. Sarah, born November 11, 1819, died September 5, 1864. William
C. married Mary Norton, and to this union two children were born : Sey-
mour and Henry, Seymour deceased. Isabella married William Dickson,
and of this union there were nine children, among whom were : James, Wil-
liam, Mary, Isabelle, George and Perry. Mary married Ralph Ewing, and
of this union there were three children : Sarah, William and Mary. Sarah
married John Cunningham, and of this union there were five children:
Anna, William, Ja¬їe, Lynn and Gertrude.

(HI) Andrew Jackson Hunter, son of James and Sarah (Cunning-
ham) Hunter, was born November 11, 1815, and died January 2, 1907. He
had a farm of nearly 200 acres, a part of the old Hunter homestead, which
he cultivated during his life. He was considered a No. i good farmer. He
gave his political support to the early Whig party and remained so through
life. He married Sarah Pardee, daughter of Jesse Pardee, of East Mead
township, Crawford county, Pennsylvania. Sarah Pardee was born Decem-
ber 22, 1822, died April 7, 1889. To this union were born eleven children,
six girls and five boys, all living at this date but one. the eldest of the
family. Jesse, born September 17, 1844; Sarah E., born April 12, 1846;
Isabelle J., born March 4, 1848; Mary L., born April 9, 1850; James S.,
born January 11, 1852 ; John H., born November 6, 1854; William C, of fur-
ther mention: Emma F., born January 3, 1858; Ella F., born November 29,
i860; Perry L., born June 14, 1862; Anna, bom April 20, 1865. Jesse not
married. Sarah, married Frank Little, three children : Jesse, John anH
Ellen Belle, all living. Isabelle married Orville Maloney, ten children,
among whom were: Jesse, Gladys, Gertrude, Alfred Orville, Emma, Erma,
Goldie. Mary L., not married. James married Lena Knorr, eleven chil-
dren, nine now living, namely: Frank, Harry, William, Daisy, Jesse, Fred,
Ruba, Charles and Hazel. John married May Sackett, one child. William
C, of further mention. Emma married Alfred T. Brown, three children
born : William, Todd and Francis ; Francis deceased. Ella F. married John
Drake, no children. Perry L. married Letta Mimm, six children : Harold,



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1595

Harry, Ruth, Hall, Donald and Walter; Walter deceased. Anna married
Frank Mossinger, eight children born : Edwin, Bertha, Myrtle, Roy, Ralph
and Harold, two deceased.

(IV) William C. Hunter, son of Andrew Jackson and Sarah (Pardee)
Hunter, was born on the old Hunter homestead in West Mead township,
Crawford county, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1856. His education was
acquired in the public county school in the vicinity of his present home.
After leaving the farm in his eighteenth year, he spent five years in the oil
fields. He abandoned this line of industry and engaged in commercial trav-
eling life, 1874, carrying a shoe line, and has been steady at it for over
thirty years. Started in with Parks, Hazard & Craig, of Jamestown, New
York, remained for twelve years. With Sterns & Packard, of Boston, eight
years ; with the Hamilton-Brown Shoe Company, of St. Louis, for the past
twelve years. Mr. Hunter's record shows he has sold over $5,000,000.00
worth of goods. His territory consists of the northwestern part of Penn-
sylvania and southwestern New York. Mr. Hunter became possessor of
the old Hunter homestead, in 1910, the scene of his boyhood days of pleasure
and hard work. He immediately set to work building and remodeling the
old homestead house, built over eighty years ago, making out of it one of
the most complete old fashioned, model country homes possibly in the state
of Pennsylvania. He has been very successful in preserving the old relics
of the place and has the old timber cabin remodeled in such a manner that
the original idea has been kept intact as much as possible and its outward
appearance very much up-to-date, while the interior was left the same as it
was built. Three old wood fire-places, old relics of furniture, rope cord beds
and lounges, rocking chairs, spinning wheels, and such like, bearing dates
from seventy-five to one hundred and sixty years old. The surrounding
lands of the homestead have been cultivated and fixed in such manner as
to completely harmonize with the homestead. Three fish ponds so con-
structed that one can fish from the back porch from each three ponds, each
well stocked with fine brook trout, bass and pickerel. The entire place
is surrounded with eight feet of unclimbable fence and deer are turned loose
in this ideal spot to browse and roam at their sweet will and leisure. Mr.
Hunter has a beautiful winter home at "J-JJ Park avenue, Meadville, Penn-
sylvania. Mr. Hunter's love for simple home life largely bars him from
lodge and lodge societies. However, he is a member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and has several protective associations policies. His
early political affiliations were with the Republican party, of which he
strictly adheres to to this day. Mr. Hunter married Marguerite, daughter
of Svlvester Wilder. No children.



This is an ancient family of England. Scotland and Ire-
McDANNELL land, the form of the name varying slightly in dilTerent
localities. The prefix is generally Mac in Scotland and
Mc in Ireland.

(I) Daniel McDannell was a native of Scotland, born September 29,



1596 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

1772, and died February 6, 18 13. He emigrated to America and settled at
Carlisle ; later moved to Erie, Pennsylvania, where he had a tract of land
of between five and six hundred acres. He married, in 1792, Elizabeth
Jumpertz, who was born and educated in Germany. They had children:
Elizabeth, born October 6, 1794, married James A. Caldwell; Jane J., born
July 15, 1796, married Charles Walton; Daniel J., born September 4, 1799,
married Kate Ebersole Eckert ; Mary, born November 20, 1800, married
James A. Caldwell, a cousin of James A. Caldwell, who married Elizabeth;
John, of further mention.

(H) John McDannell, son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Jumpertz) Mc-
Dannell, was born in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, May 20, 1808. After the death
of his first wife, in Erie, Mr. McDannell removed to Milledgeville, Mercer
county, Pennsylvania, and later back to Erie, where he was a tailor. In
March, 1849, he removed to Titusville, Crawford county, Pennsylvania.
Mr. McDannell married (first) August i, 1829, Jane Mains, of Erie, Erie
county, Pennsylvania, who died about 1844. He married (second) in
Cooperstown, Pennsylvania, Mrs. Jane Foster, a widow. He died December
24, 1880, at Titusville. Children, all by the first marriage: Martha J.,
Elizabeth, Archibald, of further mention ; Barbara, John.

(HI) Archibald McDannell, son of John and Jane (Mains) McDannell,
was born at Milledgeville, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, February 26, 1837,
and was educated in the public schools. He became a contractor, his activ-
ities being confined to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, in the vicinity of
Titusville, Union City, etc. He married Charlotte, a daughter of John
May, of McKean, Pennsylvania, and had children: i. Charles, born Sep-
tember 4, 1859, lives at Wattsburg, Erie county, Pennsylvania ; he married
Jenny Bary, and has children : Clyde and Charlotte. 2. Clinton P., of fur-
ther mention. 3. James, born July 5, 1864, lives at Buffalo, New York;
he married Carry Terry, and has children : Leonard and Bessie. 4. Wil-
liam, born December 26, 1866, lives at Atlanta, Georgia; he married Julia
Fairchild, and has one child, Charles. 5. George, born February 10, 1869,
lives at Erie, Pennsylvania ; he married Josephine Sherline, and has children :
Frances, Arthur and Clarence. 6. Elizabeth, born September 9, 1871, lives
at Columbus, Indiana; she married Eugene Marsh, and has children: Harry
and Archibald.

(IV) CHnton P. McDannell, son of Archibald and Charlotte (May)
McDannell, was born in Titusville, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, Novem-
ber 8, 1861. He acquired his education in the public schools, and then
learned the art of photography at LInion City, Pennsylvania, with which
he has been identified at Cambridge Springs, Crawford county, for the past
thirty years. He has taken an active interest in the public affairs of the
community, and has served as a member of the board of school directors,
and as a member of the town council. His religious affiliation is with the
Presbyterian church and he has been an elder of that church for a number
of years, and he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. McDannell married (first) in 1883, Nina



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1597

Cease, who died in 1900. He married (second) in 1902, Mrs. Delia (Sabin)
Curry, a widow, daughter of Spencer Sabin. Children, all by the first mar-
riage : Addie, died in infancy; Naomi, married G. A. Cozadd, of Sharon,
in 1914: John, a photographer in x'Mbion, Pennsylvania.

Rudolph Cease, great-grandfather of Mrs. Nina (Cease) McDannell,
was born in America, was a cooper by trade, and lived in Crawford county,
Pennsylvania. He married and had children : Jacob, David, Mary, Abigail,
Joseph, of further mention ; Samuel.

Joseph Cease, son of Rudolph Cease, was a farmer, and the owner of
a farm of two hundred acres in Hayfield township, Crawford county, Penn-
sylvania. He was an active member of the Methodist church, and gave his
political support to the Democratic party. He married Gertrude Barbara,
and they had children : John R., of further mention ; Melinda, Kate, de-
ceased ; Joseph, deceased ; David.

John R. Cease, son of Joseph and Gertrude (Barbara) Cease, was
educated in the public schools, and at the Saegerstown Academy. For
many years he has been in the grocery business at Cambridge Springs, and
his son, Nellis, is associated in business with him. Mr. Cease has been an
active worker in the interests of the Republican party, elected county treas-
urer, in 1899, for a term of three years, and has held at various times many
of the borough offices. He is a member of the Methodist church, and of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Since the death of his wife he has
made his home with his daughter, Pearl. Mr. Cease married Hannah, who
died September 16, 1908, daughter of Michael Deter. They had four chil-
dren : I. Nellis, mentioned above as in business with his father; married
(first) Ella Ames, and has had children: Dora, deceased, and Charles, who
is connected with the store; he married (second) Harriet J. Briggs. 2.
Nina, mentioned above as the wife of Clinton P. McDannell. 3. Mabel,
married Charles Hawkins, and has one child, Glenda. 4. Pearl, who has
always remained at home, taught school for a number of years, now keeping
house for her father.



Charles William Frey, who was a native of Weis Baden, Ger-
FREY many, emigrated to this country in early manhood, and settled

at Meadville, Crawford county, Pennsylvania. There he mar-
ried Delilah, daughter of Edward Stebbins. and to this marriage were born
two daughters. Marguerite Louise and Mary Adelaide Frey. the latter named
born in Meadville. Pennsylvania, becoming the wife of William H. Andrews,
and residing in Titusville, Pennsylvania. William H. Andrews was chair-
man of the state of Pennsylvania in 1886-87; a member of the legislature
two terms from Crawford county, also a member in the senate for one
term; was elected to congress in 1905 from New Mexico, then a territory,
and served three terms, and was instrumental in bringing New Mexico
in as a state during President Taft's administration. ]\Ir. and Mrs. Andrews
were the parents of two children : Marguerite Louise and William Stanley.
The daughter died when two years of age.



1598 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

The earliest record of the Stebbins family is of Count Eustac, who
was the inventor of the iron horseshoes, and frightened the Saxons away
at the battle of Hastings, October 14, 1066. Ralph Peverall, son of Jean
Peverall, married into the Ferress family and at one time owned about
half of England. They went into rebellion and did not win out, and Lady
Jane Gray knighted one of them and a town in England bears the name
of Stebbins at the present time (1915). Roland Stebbins, a descendant
of Count Eustac, accompanied by his wife, Sdrah, and their two sons,
Thomas and John, also daughter, Elizabeth, left Ipswich, England, on the
ship "Francis," November 20, 1634, and landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts,
at the beginning of the year 1635. There were one hundred and nine sol-
diers of this name in the Revolutionary War, and many held official rank
up to that of colonel. The great-grandfather of Edward Stebbins, men-
tioned above, was the only person to escape uninjured at the time of the
massacre of Bloody Brook. Many of the others were killed, and some
were carried into captivity, which they suffered fourteen years. The Steb-
bins family is related to three presidents of the United States : John Adams,
John Quincy Adams and Grover Cleveland.

Edward Stebbins was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, and when a
young man removed to Meadville, Pennsylvania. He married (first) Delilah
Ellis, who died a few months after marriage. He married (second) Sallie,
daughter of the Hon. Thomas Atkinson, who learned the trade of printer
under the personal instruction of Benjamin Franklin. Mr. Atkinson, mater-
nal grandfather of Mrs. Andrews, removed from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania,
to Meadville, in 1804, and there established the Crazvford Messenger,
at that time the only paper published in the state of Pennsylvania west of
the Allegheny mountains. He continued this publication for thirty years,
then retired to his country place at Woodcock township. He was twice a
member of the legislature, representing Crawford county, and filled many
minor offices. His death occurred at the age of fifty-five years.



Among the distinguished divines of the Keystone state, whose
COWAN work has made them of national reputation, is Rev. Edward

P. Cowan, D. D., corresponding secretary of the Board of
Missions for the Freedmen of the United States of America. His busy
life has been full of achievements, and today he is held in genuine admira-
tion by the people of America. He needs no eulogy, for the simple record
of his career tells its own story.

Edward P. Cowan was born at Potosi, Missouri, March 31, 1840, son
of Rev. John F. and Mary (English) Cowan. Dr. Cowan's family is of
Scotch-Irish ancestry, and all its members have been Presbyterians. The
great-grandfather was Hugh Cowan, of Chester county, Pennsylvania, who'
lived to be eighty years of age. His son, Adam Cowan, who died at the
age of forty years, was a soldier in the Revolution. The Rev. John F.
Cowan, who was born in Chester county, in 1801, graduated from Jefferson
College, Washington county, and in 1828 from Princeton Theological Semi-



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1599

nary. In 1829 he was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry, and went as
home missionary to Missouri, where he spent the rest of his life engaged
in his sacred calhng, a period of thirty-three years. In connection with his
last pastorate, at Carondelet, St. Louis, he was commissioned by President



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) → online text (page 66 of 92)