John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) online

. (page 74 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) → online text (page 74 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and was himself at one time a millionaire. Another of the enterprises in
which he was largely interested was the steamboat and barge business,
operating a steamboat line between Pittsburgh and Oil City prior to the rail-
road. He was at one time a partner of Marcus Hulings and Thomas Phil-
lips. Mr. McComb married , and had children: George Alex-
ander, of further mention; Floda, wife of R. M. Kelly; Lottie, wife of
George Orr; Margaret, wife of Alfred Dodd ; Laura, wife of William
Hannam.

(H) George Alexander McComb, son of James H. McComb, was born
in Blairsville, Indiana county, Pennsylvania, May 18, 1838, and his boyhood
years were passed near Kittanning. During the Civil War he served in
Company B, Ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was
leader of the cornet band of Kittanning when the war broke out, and at first
call his band led the first regiment to leave Lawrence county, Pennsylvania,
and reaching Pittsburgh he sent his cornet home, enlisted in the regiment
and went on to the front. In later life he was a member of Hays Post,
No. 3, Grand Army of the Republic. In the early fifties he drove a stage
coach and also went on horseback, often being chased by wolves, carrying
the mail for his father, and entered the mail service for himself under the
United States government in 1868. He was assigned to the Oil City-Pitts-
burgh route, and was injured in a railroad accident in May, 1892. He was
then assigned superintendent of railway mail service in the Pittsburgh
Post Office. Prior to this accident he held the position of chief railway
mail agent between Pittsburgh and Buffalo, and he stood second in all his
examinations while in the mail service. Mr. McComb married Ella Smith,
and they had children: i. William C, of Warren, Ohio, married Lizzie
McGregor, and has children: Anna and Laura. 2. Lawrence Melvin,
prominent promoter of automobile and flying machines, a machinist and
does much work for the Lubin Film Company ; resident of Philadelphia ;
married Belle Brisan, of Sharon, Pennsylvania, and they had six children.
3. James Forest, of further mention. 4. Francis Albert, of Los Angeles,
California, married Lillie Small, and had children: Mabel, Richard, Bessie
and Clarence. 5. Ora, married Reno Guisewitt, of Oil City, and had chil-
dren: Raymond, Lee, Thelma and Reno. 6. Margaret, married C. G. IflFt,
of Pittsburgh. 7. George Edward, of East End, Pittsburgh, married and
had children: Edward, Catherine and Elizabeth. 8. Minta, married John
Wragg, and has children : Margaret, Ruth and George.

(Ill) James Forest McComb, son of George Alexander and Ella
(Smith) McComb, was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, November 29,
1868. Mr. McComb is associated with the Standard Oil Company as oil
ganger. He is interested in all things for the good of the community and
his influence is felt throughout the entire valley. In public matters is a Re-
publican and served Leetsdale as member of the borough council, serving



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1649

on the finance committee, and was largely instrumental in getting the varied
improvements in the borough, his progressive spirit proving a boon to the
welfare of the borough. Privately he has been a promoter and has had ex-
tensive operations along that line. He is a member of the Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, also Heptasophs. He married, July 17, 1893, Sarah L.
Vandevort, and has had children : William Harold, George Bennett, Elma
Louise and James Forest Jr.



Thomas Birchard, the American progenitor of this family,

BIRCHARD was born in Roxbury, England, in 1595. With his wife

and children he left England in the ship "Truelove," and

landed at Boston, September 16, 1635. He was a man of considerable

wealth, and exerted influence in the colony. He married Mary , bom

in 1597, and their children were: Elizabeth, born in 1622; Mary, born in
1623; Sarah, born in 1626; Susan, born in 1627; John, of further mention.

(H) John Birchard, son of Thomas and Mary Birchard, was born in
1628, and died in 1702. He was one of the proprietors of Norwich, and
served as clerk, recorder and justice of the peace. A patent issued by the
governor of the colony of Connecticut at the general assembly. May 25,
1685, confirmed the title of Mr. John Birchard and others of the town of
Norwich, and this was signed by Robert Treat, governor, and John Allen,
secretary. May 30, 1687. John Birchard was appointed county clerk of
New London in 1692, and held this office seven years. His death occurred
m Lebanon, Connecticut, where he owned a large tract of land. He married
(first) July 22, 1653, Christina Andrews; he married (second) Jane, a
daughter of Samuel Hyde. Of his fourteen children six died in infancy,
the others being: Samuel, born in 1663; James, of further mention; Abigail,
born in November, 1667; Thomas, January, 1669; John, February, 1671 ;
Joseph, February, 1677; Mary, June, 1679; Daniel, November, 1680.

(HI) James Birchard, son of John Birchard, was born in July, 1665.
He married, March 17, 1696, Elizabeth Beckwith, and had children : Eliza-
beth, born in September, 1697; James, of further mention; Sarah, born in
July, 1701 ; Matthew, December, 1702; John A., April 12, 1704; Phebe,
October, 1705; Sarah, October, 1707; Jonah, 1709; Rebecca, October, 1717;
Daniel, May, 1718.

(IV) James (2) Birchard, son of James (i) and Elizabeth (Beckwith)
Birchard, was born in May, 1699, and died July 21, 1782. In 1755 he re-
moved with his family from Norwich, Connecticut, to Beckett, Berkshire
county, Massachusetts. He married, October i, 1723, Deborah Marks, who
died in 1768. They had children: James, of further mention; Matthew,
born in 1732, died in 1785; Beulah, born in 1745, died in 1775.

(V) Lieutenant James (3) Birchard, son of James (2) and Deborah
(Marks) Birchard, was born in 1730, and died July 27, 1820. He was ap-
pointed first lieutenant in the English army by King George III. When
the War of the Revolution broke out it was his desire to fight with the Con-
tinental army, but because of his oath to the Crown was not permitted to do



1650 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

this, and sent a substitute to fight for him. He married Abigail King, born
in 1732, died July 5, 1794, a daughter of David and Lydia King. Children:
Lydia, born in 1757, married Abel Dewey, of Beckett, Massachusetts; De-
borah, born in 1760, married John Messenger, of Beckett, Massachusetts;
Abigail, born in 1762, married Asa Baird, of Beckett, Massachusetts; Phebe,
born in 1764, married Stephen Nicholas, of Beckett, Massachusetts; James,
of further mention; Sarah, born in 1768, married Ebenezer Balch ; Betsey,
born in 1772, married Walter Cook, of Beckett, Massachusetts.

(VI) James (4) Birchard, son of Lieutenant James (3) and Abigail
(King) Birchard, was born August 17, 1766, and died August i, 1852. He
lived with his father on the homestead at Beckett, Massachusetts, until 181 1,
when he and his family, with one horse and wagon, made the trip to Mead-
ville, Crawford county, Pennsylvania. He secured one thousand five hundred
acres of land in one tract ten miles north of Meadville, on the ridge east of
French Creek Valley. He was a member of the Presbyterian church. He
married, March 11, 1788, Lucy Gillette, of Southwick, Massachusetts. Chil-
dren: , born May 25, died July 15, 1789; , born June 6, 1790, died

July 15, 1790; , born July 21, died August 12, 1791 ; , born August

29, 1792, died October 2, 1792; James King, born September 8, 1793, died
April 20, 1844; Virgil, born March 3, 1795, died in November, 1874; Lucy,
born April 30, 1797, died in 1874; Hannorah, born January 17, 1799, died in
1874; Worthy, born November 24, 1800, died July 24, 1888; Lydia Ophelia,
born November 29, 1802, died in May, 1883 ; Darius Dewey, born Septem-
ber 21, 1804, died March 29, 1871 ; Cyrus, born April 13, 1807, died Novem-
ber 21, 1900; Levi Gillette, of further mention; Adeline F., born July 22,
181 1, died November 11, 1838.

(VII) Levi Gillette Birchard, son of James (4) and Lucy (Gillette)
Birchard, was born August 21, 1809, and died November 4, 1907. He was
an active and influential man in the township, giving his political support
to the Republican party, and was a member of the Presbyterian church. He
married (first) October 23, 1834, Elizabeth Grass, born August 13, 1814,
died in May, 1880. He married (second) November 29, 1882, Mary Kelso,
born March 7, 1817, died September 22, 1898. Children: Alonzo Dewey,
born February 28, 1836, died February 23, 1910; Andrew Y., born October
8, 1837; Mary Adeline, born January 11, 1840; Nancy A., bom January
15, 1842, died April 18, 1908; Lucy Ophelia, born December 6, 1845, died
December 22, 1912; Quitelia, born December 6, 1845; Delroy G., of further
mention; Irene A., born December 12, 1850, died June 25, 1896.

(VIII) Delroy G. Birchard, son of Levi Gillette and Elizabeth (Grass)
Birchard, was born in Cambridge township, Crawford county, Pennsylvania,
August 19, 1848, on the Birchard homestead. For a time Mr. Birchard lived
in North Dakota, where he purchased a section of land, but after farming
this for a time he sold it and returned to Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania,
and there bought one hundred and eighty acres of the old homestead, and is
now living on this farm. He is engaged in general and dairy farming, and
has devoted considerable time to the raising of Holstein cattle and Chester
White hogs, in which enterprises he has been very successful. He has taken
an active part in the councils of the Republican party, and has served as



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1651

supervisor of roads, town clerk and township treasurer. He is a member
of the local Grange, Patrons of Husbandry. He and his wife are members
of the Presbyterian church at Cambridge Springs. Mr. Birchard married,
January 29, 1879, a daughter of Charles Hewley, of Sherman, New York.
Child: Edith E., was graduated from Allegheny College in the class of 1910,
is a member of Alpha Chi Omega Sorority, and is now assistant principal
of the Cambridge Springs High School.



The Hunter family is of Scotch-Irish ancestry, a race in yK^

HUNTER which the Scotch stability, shrewdness, mental vigor, physical
energy and endurance blended with the geniality, the warm-
heartedness and the versatility of the Irish blood, has given us a people
whose physical, mental and moral qualities have made them leaders and
powerful promoters in every industry and in every profession, and has
enriched our history with an almost endless roll of distinguished men. At
the time when the first Hunters came to western Pennsylvania that part of
the country was an almost unbroken wilderness, but it was a region which
was attracting the attention of a large portion of the Scotch-Irish emigrants.
Very many of these had settled in Pittsburgh, some of them coming there
in times prior to the Revolutionary War. A large number of settlements
were being made at this time in the valleys of the streams which unite at
Pittsburgh, for to these hardy, energetic, ambitious people the obstacles
which nature presented to the pioneer and settler were but an attraction and
a stimulus. They saw the wealth hidden in the mountains, and growing
upon the hillsides, and accepted the challenge which nature appeared to
throw down to those who had the nerve, the brawn and the brain to come
and take it. So these Irish emigrants, the Hunters, the Gilsons, the Broad-
foots and the Hendersons left their families behind them for a time, and
came into the wilderness in search of homes.

(I) David Hunter was bom in Crawford county, Pennsylvania. He
was educated in the district schools near his home, and followed the occu-
pation of farming all his life. He resided on what is known as the Hunter
tract, in Woodcock township, Crawford county, which is now in the pos-
session of two of his grandsons, William and Robert G. Davison. This is
an extensive piece of land, well cultivated for general products. Mr. Hun-
ter married Catherine, a daughter of Griffith Carr, a farmer and distiller,
who was one of the early settlers in Woodcock township. They had children :
Mary, married Davison ; Wilson G., of further mention ; Samuel, Rob-
ert, Griffith, Eliza, John, several who died in infancy.

(II) Wilson G. Hunter, son of David and Catherine (Carr) Hunter,
was bom in Woodcock township, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, September
29, 1824. He was educated in the public schools near his home, and at the
age of fifteen years was apprenticed to leam the trade of cabinetmaking
and undertaking with his uncle, John Carr. of Meadville, Crawford county.
He followed this business in Saegerstown from about 1849 to 1904. and was
very successful, having at the time of his death the largest establishment of



1652 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

this kind in the state of Pennsylvania. He was also the owner of two fine
farms. He was prominent in the public affairs of the township, and at
various times held all the public offices in the gift of the township. Mr.
Hunter married Ellen Emery, born in Philadelphia, who was very young
when she was brought to Woodcock township by her parents, who located
on a farm about three-quarters of a mile from the Hunter farm. Mr. and
Mrs. Hunter had children : Charles, Kearney, Kate, who married E. David,
and has a son, Charles W. ; Jennie, married E. Benner ; Minnie, Aaron, Ella,

Leon, Frank, Martha, married Flaugh ; a child, who died in infancy.

John Emery, father of Mrs. Ellen (Emery) Hunter, was a teacher in Phila-
delphia, and came overland to Woodcock township. He taught German in
the Meadville schools. He married Mary Aaron, whose brother, Samuel
Aaron, was a Baptist minister and a teacher in Philadelphia. They had chil-
dren : Mrs. Martha David, John, Charles, Samuel, Mrs. Isabel Braymer,
Mrs. Eliza Brown, Jackson, Mrs. Ellen Hunter, Mary, who died in infancy.
Charles and Samuel Emery were soldiers in the Civil War. Samuel was a
prisoner for a time, was exchanged, and died at Chicago, while en route for
his home. Charles lived until recently, when his death occurred at the Sol-
diers' Home in Bath, New York.



The ancestry of this Bole family, not a common one in the United
BOLE States, is probably French, those who introduced the name in Ire-
land, whence it came to the United States, being known as French
Huguenots. The Boles family have been associated with Bellevue, Pennsyl-
vania, almost since its founding, only a few families antedating it in settle-
ment. In Ireland members of the family followed agricultural pursuits, the
American line having been established by Hugh M. Bole, who settled in
Pennsylvania. He was educated in the national schools of Ireland, and
came to the United States in 1845, learning the trade of machinist in the
Fort Pitt Foundry. In 1854 he established independently on Liberty street,
Allegheny (Pittsburgh, North Side), later moving to Pike street, Pittsburgh,
subsequently becoming owner of a large machine shop at "The Point." This
establishment was in active operation for thirty years, the greater part of
which time it was his personal property. Circumstances were most propi-
tious at the time he opened his works at "The Point," the beginning of the
oil excitement creating a market for specially designed machinery and the
Civil War placing the government in need of all the cannon that could be
manufactured at short notice. In addition to supplying a large share of these
needs he was one of the few manufacturers who gave special attention tq
the requirements of steamboat builders, and received large orders for the
machinery used therein. His connection with Bellevue began in 1868 and
ended with his death in 1900 in the house he had built in that place. He was
active in securing a borough charter for Bellevue in 1870, when the town
boasted of less than three hundred inhabitants, and assisted materially in
the perfection of the civil organization. During the Civil War he served on
the council of the city of Pittsburgh. Mr. Bole, not a student in the com-



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1653

monly accepted sense of the word, had by wide reading, close observation,
and independent thinking acquired an education far surpassing that of many
whose opportunities for instruction and study were more numerous. Busi-
ness acumen was not the only indication of his strong mentality, but so
diligently did he pursue his peculiar methods of education that discourse
with him was a pleasure and, if one knew that he was not a university man,
a continual surprise. In the work of the United Presbyterian church he was
a participant throughout all of his mature years and he was a charter member
of the organization of that denomination in Bellevue. To a man of his
standing and popularity political office would have been an easy attainment,
but it was his preference to leave the honor of such election to others, he
doing all that lay in his power as a private citizen to further the welfare
of his city and to advance its interests.

Mr. Bole married Mary Ann, daughter of Francis Hare, born in Pitts-
burgh, Pennsylvania. Francis Hare and his wife were natives of county
Antrim, Ireland, and came to the United States, the ship on which they
engaged passage consuming three months in making the voyage. They
settled in West Deer township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where Fran-
cis Hare purchased land and farmed until his death. One of his sons, John,
was a soldier in Company K, Sixty-first Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, in the Civil War, and was wounded at the battle of Fair Oaks,
dying from his wounds at Portsmouth, Virginia. Children of Hugh M. and
Mary Ann (Hare) Bole: i. John. 2. Frank H., of whom further. 3.
Elizabeth J., married Rev. H. H. Houston, of Struthers, Ohio. 4, 5, 6 and 7
all died in infancy. 8. William A., manager of the Westinghouse Machine
Company. 9. George M., lives retired at Avalon, Pennsylvania.

Frank H. Bole, son of Hugh M. and Mary Ann (Hare) Bole, was born
in Pittsburgh, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, October 6, 1850. He at-
tended the Pittsburgh public schools, obtaining instruction in high school
subjects. Leaving school he learned the patternmaker's trade, working in
his father's establishment and as the employee of various other Pittsburgh
firms until 1877. In that year he moved to the town now known as Knox,
Clarion county, Pennsylvania, later to Edenburg. The oil excitement was
then at full height, and he and his brother John formed a partnership for
the manufacture of oil well machinery, which prospered, after which he
moved to AIcKean county, Pennsylvania, there continuing in the same busi-
ness. The next eighteen years were spent in Butler, where he followed the
same calling, and in 1903 Mr. Bole slipped the noose of business care and
retired to Bellevue. His retirement has not been complete, for he has ac-
quired large real estate holdings and is interested in a West Virginia concern
manufacturing blocks for glass tanks, also having coal interests in that state.
As to politics, Mr. Bole is a Republican, and although he has been a valued
addition to the party councils he has shown his father's indifiference for
office, only serving as a member of the school board. His church is the
United Presbyterian. INIr. Bole is of the opinion that his life has been passed
in a half century of the greatest advancement that has ever taken place in a



i6S4 WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

like period of time in the world's history, and he rejoices that his path was
placed therein. He takes pleasure in recalling Civil War events, which he
vividly remembers, and considers that struggle the birth throes of the golden
fifty years referred to above. There is none of the duties of good citizen-
ship that he omits, and all projects of civic, moral or intellectual uplift have
numbered him among their firmest backers.

Mr. Bole married, in 1878, Esther Munn. They were the parents of
four children : Their eldest born child died in infancy ; Thomas M., a
graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, a civil engineer in charge of the
elevation of the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks in Chicago, Illinois ; Hugh R.,
an employee of the Crucible Steel Company, resides at home; Francis H.,
resides at home.



The McPherson family is one of the oldest in the western
McPHERSON part of the state of Pennsylvania. The immigrant an-
cestor came from Scotland and made his home in Alle-
gheny county, Pennsylvania, when that section was practically virgin forest.
Among his children were: Charles, of further mention; Lemuel, who took
part in the Civil War and lived in Chicago, Illinois, after it was ended.

(II) Charles McPherson, son of the preceding, was born in Alle-
gheny county within ten miles of Edgeworth. He became a prosperous
farmer, and owned about five thousand acres of land. He cleared a por-
tion of this land, built a log cabin upon it, and spent the remainder of his
life there. He married Elizabeth Flowers, also a native of Allegheny county.

(HI) Zachariah, son of Charles and Elizabeth (Flowers) McPherson,
was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, in 1825, and died in Septem-
ber, 1909. He was a brick contractor throughout his business life. He
lived at Edgeworth two years. He was twice married, his second wife
being Alice McGall, who was born in Ireland and came to this country with
her parents when she was six years of age ; her parents later returned to
Ireland, where they died. Children by the first marriage: Lydia, mar-
ried Morgan; William F., a member of the firm of McPherson

Brothers. Children by the second marriage: Olive, married вАФ Simon;
Margaret, married John Dolan ; George, Frank, James E., H. G. and W.
K., members of the firm.

(IV) James E., son of Zachariah and Alice (McGall) McPherson,
was born at Edgeworth, Pennsylvania, February 8, 1879. At the usual
age he was sent to the public schools in the vicinity of his home, and there
acquired a sound, practical education. Upon leaving school he became con-
nected with the business of general contracting, with which he has been
identified since that time. The firm of McPherson Brothers was estab-
lished in the spring of 1903, and has always been a most flourishing con-
cern. A large share of their work is railway grading and other work of that
nature.



1




V, CQ/^ C^:.<^(AM.A-Vj



WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA 1655

The name of Quinby is one which has now been in this
QUINBY country for a number of generations, and it has never been

mentioned other than in an honorable connection. For the
most part those bearing it have devoted themselves to agricultural pursuits,
but there has been a fair sprinkling of professional men among its mem-
bers. The Quinby family is an old one of New York state, the founder,
John Quinby, having received a large grant of land from the King of Eng-
land.

(I) Amos Clark Quinby was born in 1808 in Troy, New York, and
educated in that part of the country. He lived there for some time after
his marriage, then removed to Albion, Erie county, Pennsylvania, where
he settled on a farm. He again changed his place of residence, removing
to Shadeland, Spring township, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and sub-
sequently made another change, locating at Springboro, in the same county,
and there his death occurred. Mr. Quinby married Caroline Newton, and
they had children: i. Amos Clark, of further mention. 2. Lewis H., born
in New York, and removed to Pennsylvania with his parents ; he was a
fruit tree salesman; married Amanda Sheldon, of Springboro, Pennsyl-
vania ; children : Clarence B., Nettie B., Bernice, Frederick and Francis,
twins. 3. D. Marshall, deceased, was a fruit tree salesman. 4. George,
now a resident of Providence, Rhode Island. 5. Caroline, died young.

(II) Amos Clark (2) Quinby, son of Amos Clark (i) and Caroline
(Newton) Quinby, was born in Troy, New York, June i, 1833, and died
May 9, 1894. He was educated and grew to manhood in his native city
and there engaged in the nursery business. During the oil excitement of
1855, Mr. Quinby came to Titusville, Pennsylvania, and it was in that
town that his death occurred. For a time he was interested in oil produc-
tion, then conducted a livery and sales stable for some time, and finally en-
gaged in farming in Springboro, Crawford county, Pennsylvania. His
religious affiliation was with the Presbyterian church. He married, in
Springfield, Pennsylvania, Elizabeth Anna Mclntyre, born in Troy, New
York, October i, 1837, a daughter of Robert and Margaret (Miller) Mc-
lntyre, and they had children: Edgar C, of further mention; Emma, who
married Dr. Kenyon, and lived in Providence, Rhode Island ; George Emer-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanGenealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania; (Volume 3) → online text (page 74 of 92)