John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.2) online

. (page 85 of 94)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.2) → online text (page 85 of 94)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


zen in the community. He was a faithful mem-
ber of the Mennonite church, as was his wife,
Nancy, daughter of Abraham and Catherine
(Yelles) Bechtel. The children of his marriage
with Nancy Bechtel were Henry, Abraham,



George, Jacob, Jonas, and Kate. Abraham Lan-
des died in 1840, and his wife, who was born in

1800, died in 1884.

Abraham, second child and second son of
Abraham and Nancy ( Bechtel j Landes, was born
on the old homestead in East Allen township in
183 1, and died in 1902. He learned a trade in
his youth, but became a farmer, owning one hun-
dred and thirty-five acres of valuable farming
land. He was a member and one of the found-
ers of the Snyder Union Reformed church. In
politics he was a Republican. He married Sarah
Jane Miller, of East Allen township, a daughter
of Nathan Miller. The children of this marriage
were as follows : William H., of Bath ; George,
of Akron, Ohio ; Abraham, of Lafona ; Elizabeth,
who married Henry Edwards ; Sarah, deceased
wife of George Laubach ; A. D., w'ho receives
fuller notice; Ellen, wife of John T. Jones, of
Bath. Nathan Miller was a native of Lehigh coun-
ty, and a prosperous farmer, owning two hun-
dred and twenty-five acres of land, some of which
was underlaid with valuable deposits of slate.
He opened and operated two quarries, known as
the Miller quarries, which are now operated as
an estate. Mr. Miller's wife was Eliza Bertz,
a member of an old Northampton county family.
She was very well known, and died at the great
age of ninety-two years.

A. D. Landes, sixth child and fourth son of
Abraham and Sarah Jane (Miller) Landes, was
born in East Allen township, July 19, 1865. He
was brought up in his native township and ob-
tained his education in the public schools there.
On leaving school he became a clerk, and for
fifteen years held positions in various firms both
in Pennsylvania and in New^ York. In 1895
he took charge of the creamery he now owns,
operating it on a salary up to 1902, w'hen he
bought out the concern. The plant was estab-
lished in 1894 by F. ]\Iessinger, who was suc-
ceeded by Andrew Silfus in the management of
it. Silfus was followed by A. D. Landes, first
as engaged manager, and afterward as owner
and proprietor. The capacity of the plant is
fifteen thousand pounds of butter a day, but the
present daily output is about thirty-five hundred



476



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



pounds. Mr. Landes is one of the best butter-
makers of the section, as is attested by high prices
and quick sales in disposing of his product. Un-
der his management the creamery has gained a
high reputation, and its continued success under
the new proprietorship is assured. Mr. Landes
is active in township affairs, and both he and his
wife are members of the Reformed church. He
is also a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and of the Knights of the Golden
Eagle.

In 1890 Mr. Landes married Anna L., daugn-
ter of Alfred and Elizabeth Conklin, of Long
Island, New York. Mrs. Landes is a cousin 01
Roscoe Conklin. Three children have been born
of this marriage — Alfred D., Hazel E., and Lil-
lian R.

JOSEPH H. YETTER. Among the rep-
resentatives of the early German settlers of the
Lehigh Valley who have preserved the sturdy
character of the pioneers is Joseph H. Yetter, of
Washington township, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania. He is a farmer of advanced ideas
who takes both pride and pleasure in the improve-
ment and beautification of his land. His ances-
tors helped to clear the land and open it to culti-
vation, making the present intensive agriculture
possible.

His grandfather, Joseph Yetter, had a farm
of fifty acres in Mount Bethel township, where
he was highly respected for his industry and his
upright moral character. He was an active mem-
ber and liberal supporter of the Lutheran church.
He was married twice, the first wife being a
woman named Yanson. By both marriages he
was the father of eight children.

Charles, son of Joseph Yetter, was born in
Upper Mount Bethel township in 1813. He was
a carpenter of skill and standing, and in 1853
he moved to Illinois. Most of his time in the
west was given to farming, he having purchased
five hundred and ten acres of land. He and his
wife were members of the Lutheran chruch, and
he died in Illinois in 1894. The first wife of
Charles Yetter was Anna Maria, daughter of
John Keller, who was the mother of Joseph H.



Yetter. The second wife was Maria J. Davis.
Charles Yetter was father of five children — Jo-
seph H., before named ; Jacob, Joshua, Sally A.
and Charles.

Joseph H., son of Charles and Anna Maria
(Keller) Yetter, was born in 1849, ^^ Upper
Mount Bethel township, and was only three years
old when his parents removed to Illinois. He was
reared and educated in the west, and lived there
up to 1872, when he returned to Pennsylvania
and settled in his native county. In 1893 he
bought the farm of seventy-three acres in Wash-
ington township, which he now occupies. He is
a sterling citizen and a kind neighbor, enjoying
the respect of the community. He has been a
deacon in the Reformed church.

He married Caroline, born in 1850, in Upper
Mount Bethel, a daughter of Jacob and Mary A.
Hess, in 1879. Four children were born to the
couple : Sarah K., Jacob C, Lizzie J., and Mary
A. Like her husband, Mrs. Yetter comes of a
long line of German ancestry. Her great-grand-
father, Christian Hess, was born in Ireland in
1740, when his parents were on the way to Amer-
ica from Germany. He was brought to Pennsyl-
vania where he was brought up and educated, be-
coming in his manhood a soldier in the Revolu-
tionar}- war. His wife was Annie Minch, to
whom were born the following children : Nicho-
las, Jeremiah, Peter and Elizabeth. He was the
owner of two hundred and sixty-five acres of
land, and the house he built in 1790, which is in a
good state of preservation, is now owned
and occupied by his granddaughter. Jeremiah,
one of the sons of Christian Hess, was born in
Upper Mount Bethel in 1775. He was a black-
smith and farmer and an estimable man. His
wife was Catherine Butz, who became the mother
of twelve children. as follows: Christian, Jacob,
Adam, William, Henry, Elizabeth, Susan, Mary,
Anna, Sarah, Leah, and Eva, of whom Jacob and
Leah are still living.

Jacob Hess, father of Mrs. Yetter, was born
in 1819 at Upper Mount Bethel. During his ac-
tive life he was the owner of a farm of one hun-
dred and thirty-five acres, which he kept in a high
state of cultivation, at the same time conducting



GENJb;ALOGiCy\L AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



477



business as a blacksmith and cooper. He is now
living in retirement, a highly respected citizen.
His wife, Mary A., was born in Bucks county
June 22, 1819. Four children were born of the
marriage, namely, Jeremiah, Leah, Caroline, and
Sarah C.

I

MARSHALL KEn="ER. The Keifer fam-
ily represented in the present generation by Mar-
shall Keifer, a representative farmer of Lower
]\lount Bethel township, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, is of German extraction, and the
earliest ancestor of whom there is any authentic
record was Peter Keifer, who first located in
Bucks county, later removed to Northampton,
where he resided in the townships of Saucon and
Lower Mount Bethel. In the year 1799 Peter
Keifer removed his family, which consisted of a
wife and nine children, to the latter named town-
ship, where he had previously purchased a farm
located on the banks of the Delaware river, which
consisted of one hundred and thirty-seven acres
of highly cultivated ground. This property has
been in the possession of the family ever since,
being now owned by George Keifer, brother of
Marshall Keifer.

Joseph Keifer, son of Peter Keifer, was born
in Saucon township, Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania, in 1783. At the age of sixteen vears
he accompanied his parents to their new home
on the banks of the Delaware river, and subse-
quently his tastes and inclinations led him to
adopt the quiet but useful calling of agriculture,
which proved a most profitable means of liveli-
hood. Mr. Keifer and his wife, Sarah (Kline)
Keifer, were the parents of nine children, all of
whom are deceased with the exception of one
son, Samuel Keifer, who resides near the city
of Newark, New Jersey, where he is engaged in
"trucking." Their children were : Charles, Peter,
Joseph, Jackson, Samuel, Sarah, Catherine, Eliza-
beth, and a child who died in early childhood.
^Ir. Keifer and his wife were zealous members
of the German Reformed church, contributed
liberally toward its support, and Mr. Keifer
served in the capacity of deacon and elder for
many years. His death occurred in the vear 1873,



in the ninety-first year of his age, and his wife
died in the year i866.

Joseph Keifer, third son of Joseph and .Saran
Keifer, was born April 20, 1820, in a house
erected by his father in the year 1808 in Lower
Alount Bethel township, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania. After obtaining a common school
education, he turned his attention to farming
pursuits which proved both successful and re-
munerative. In due course of time he became
the owner of a two hundred and forty-five acre
farm, and this he cultivated to a high state of
perfection and conducted extensive operations
thereon. He was an upright, conscientious man,
and in all the relations of life fulfilled every trust
that was reposed in him. He was interested in
the cause of education, and for more than twenty
years served as a director on the school board or
the township. He was united in marriage in
1845 to Malinda Schech, of Upper Mount Bethel,
who bore him the following named children :
Irvin, deceased; Calvin, Lenora, Sarah, Mar-
shall, Ida, Mary, Estella, Wesley, and George.
For a number of years Mr. Keifer filled the offices
of deacon and elder in the Lutheran church, and
his wife still holds membership in the same. [Mr.
Keifer died in 1897.

[Marshall Keifer, third son of Joseph and [Ma-
linda Keifer, was born in Lower Mount Bethel,
upon the old homestead purchased by Peter Kei-
fer, February 4, 1853. He attended the com-
mon schools in the neighborhood, where he ob-
tained a knowledge of the fundamental principles
of education, and, like his forefathers, he chose
the independent life of a farmer, and has confined
his attention exclusively to that occupation from
that time to the present. In 1888 he purchased
a farm adjoining the property of his brother,
George Keifer, and during the intervening years
he has cultivated and improved it. also added
many practicable features which has greatly en-
hanced its value. [Mr. Keifer is an energetic pub-
lic-spirited citizen, has always advocated the
measures that tend toward the material growth
of the community, and his influence is on the
side of right and morality.

In 1875 [Mr. Keifer married Harriet Reimer,



478



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



daughter of Daniel Reimer, but no children have
blessed their union. For the past seventeen years
Mr. Keifer has been a member of the board of
deacons and also served as treasurer of the Luth-
eran church, and his wife is also a member and
active worker in the same cnurch.

SOLOMON SPANGLER, a respected citi-
zen of Martin's Creek, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, wtiere he is now living in retire-
ment, spent the active years of his life as a
farmer, worthily upholding the name for indus-
try and upright dealing gained by several gen-
erations of his ancestors. The family is one of
the oldest in the Lehigh Valley. The great-
grandparents of Mr. Spangler came from Ger-
many to Northampton county, where they cleared
land for a homestead.

Daniel, a son of these early German settlers,
was born in Northampton county and became a
resident of East Allen township, where he owned
a small farm. His wife was Elizabeth Mussel-
man, and of his marriage twelve children were
born. The sons became mechanics, and the fam-
ily all proved useful and worthy citizens. They
were brought up in the Lutheran church, of
which the parents were members.

Joseph, a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Mus-
selman) Spangler, was born on his father's farm
in East Allen township in March, 1807. He him-
self became a well-to-do farmer, being the owner
of one hundred and sixty-five acres of land which
were purchased of his father-in-law. He was a
man whose standards of life were of the highest,
and he had a reputation for unswerving honesty.
He held most of the township offices and enjoyed
the public confidence in an unusual degree. He
married Susanna, daughter of Philip and Cath-
erine Guisinger, in 1829. Philip Guisinger, after
the death of his wife Catherine, married Eliza-
beth Schoenberger, to whom three children, —
Elias, Moses, and Sarah, were born. Philip
Guisinger and his wife were both members of
the Lutheran church, in which he held several
offices. He died in 1872, and his wife Elizabeth
died in 1895. Their children are all living.
Seven sons were born to Joseph and Susanna



(Guisinger) Spangler, namely, Thomas, de-
ceased ; Philip, deceased ; Levi, Solomon, Joel,
Noah, deceased ; Daniel, deceased. Susanna G.
Spangler died in October, 1848.

Solomon, fourth son of Joseph and Susanna
(Guisinger) Spangler, was born in East Allen
township, July 28, 1839. He attended the neigh-
borhood schools and lived at home until he was
eighteen. He then became a farmer in Lower
Mount Bethel township, where he is esteemed as
a practical man of affairs, an intelligent and pro-
gressive farmer, and a disinterested and pub-
lic-spirited citizen. He has worked hard for the
security of his own acres, and prizes the inde-
pendence of his calling. He has held most of the
local offices in the township, and maintains an
interest in the larger political issues.

He married, in i860, Mary A. Hutchinson,
who died in 1901, her one child, Lily C, having
died before her. The second wife of Mr. Spang-
ler was Jennie J. Osterstock.

EMANUEL SCHOCH. In Bangor, Penn-
sylvania, no name is more respected than that
of Emanuel Schoch who for a series of years has
been numbered among the worthy residents, and
has taken an active and influential part in town-
ship affairs. He is descended, as his name in-
dicates, from German ancestry, and it is probable
that the founder of the family emigrated to
America at some period during the eighteenth
century, inasmuch as John Schoch was a resident
of Bucks county, Pennsylvania, considerably
more than a hundred years ago. He moved to
Mount Bethel township, Northampton county,
where he purchased a tract of land consisting of
four hundred acres. He manifested his loyalty
to his country by serving in the army during the
war of 1812. He married Elizabeth Dederde,
and their children were : John ; Philip, mentioned
at length hereinafter; ]\Iichael, Henry, Daniel,
Susan, Elizabeth, Sarah Margaret, and another
daughter, who became the wife of a Mr. Oyer.

Philip Schoch, son of John and Elizabeth
(Dederde) Schoch, was born in 1781 in Upper
Mount Bethel township. He was a practical
farmer, ownins: as his father had done four hun-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



479



clred acres of land, and in connection witli his
agricultural labors followed the trade of a miller.
He was a worthy citizen, respected by all. In
the Lutheran church, of which he was a promin-
ent member, he held all the offices to which a
layman was eligible. He married Mary Miller,
of Mount Bethel, and their family numbered
eleven children, of whom the three following are
living: Philip, mentioned at length hereinafter;
Melinda; and Lydia A.

Philip Schoch, son of Philip and Mary (Mil-
ler) Schoch, was born in 1822, in Upper Mount
Bethel township, and was for a number of years
a miller, as his father had been before him.
When, in 1856, the father died, the son turned
his attention to farming, which he has followed
ever since with an industry and skill which have
insured a more than common degree of success.
Notwithstanding Mr. Schoch's advanced age, his
physical vigor and mental activity are such that
he now conducts by proxy a fine farm of one
hundred and forty acres. He married in 1846
Pauline Allenberger, who was born in 1829.
They were the parents of two children : Emanuel,
mentioned at length hereinafter; and Sarah, who
is now the wife of B. F. Miller, of Bangor. In
1892 the family sustained a severe bereavement
in the death of Mrs. Schoch, a woman who was
deservedly loved and respected by all who knew
her. Mr. Schoch subsequently married Cathe-
rine Hahn. By this marriage there were no chil-
dren. Mr. Schoch now resides on the farm which
has been his home since 1873. The extraordinary
strength of mind and body by which he is sus-
tained in the discharge of his daily duties ani-
mates him no less in the maintenance of his
church relations. At the present time he holds
the offices of deacon, elder and president in the
Lutheran church, of which he is an honored
member.

Emanuel Schoch, son of Philip and Pauline
(Allenberger) Schoch, was born November 12,
1846, in Upper Mount Bethel township, where
he received his education and also the training
which fitted him for his future calling, which was
that of a farmer. He was actively and success-
fully engaged in agricultural pursuits until t8q2,



when he moved to Bangor. Here he entered into
business as a dealer in farming implements, but
after a time retired from this sphere of activity.
One of Mr. Schoch's most marked character-
istics is the keen interest which he takes in pub-
lic afifairs, and the penetration, sound judgment,
and highmindedness which he displays in dealing
with political questions. So thoroughly do his
townsmen appreciate these qualities that they
made him by their votes a member of the town
council, of which he became president, and in
which he served with distinction.

Mr. Schoch married, in May, 1868, Julia
Ann Beck, of Stone Church, Pennsylvania, and
they are the parents of one daughter : Mary C,
who was born in 1870, and is now the wife of
E. J. Houch of Bangor. Mrs. Schoch belongs to
a family which has been long resident in North-
ampton county. Her grandfather, George Beck,
was born in Upper Mount Bethel, where he lived
as a farmer, owning one hundred and forty acres
of land. He married Elizabeth Raesly, and they
were the parents of nine children, two of whom
are living, namely : Sarah, who became the wife
of a Mr. Beaver ; and Pauline Jocelyn. Jacob J.
Beck, son of George and Elizabeth (Raesly)
Beck, was a practical farmer, owning ninety
acres of well-tilled land. He was a member of
the Lutheran church, and was in all respects a
worthy man and a good citizen. He married and
eleven children were born to him, of whom the
following are Hving: Julia Ann, who became
the wife of Emanuel Schoch, as mentioned above ;
Rosaltha, who married Mr. Oyer ; Emma, w-ho
is the wife of Mr. Smith ; Caroline, who married
Air. Haring; and another daughter, who became
the wife of Emanuel Allenberger. The death of
Mr. Beck, the father of the family, occurred in
1886, and that of his wife in 1896. Both passed
away rich in the esteem and love of all who knew
them.

• WILL I AIM C. SHERRER, a leading business
man of Bangor, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, is connected w'ith the chief industrial and
financial enterprises of the town, many of which
he has helped to develop. He is of Gemian de-



48o



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



scent, his first American ancestors having settled
in New Jersey in the early history of the state.
It is perhaps from these pioneers that he inherits
the fibre that was strengthened instead of broken
by the hard circumstances of his early years, for
he was orphaned as a child, and in his first youth
he was thrown upon his own resources just when
he was ready to enter on a college course.

The grandfather of William C. Sherrer was
John Sherrer, whose wife was Julia Carpenter.
They were natives of New Jersey, and in that
state their son Joseph was born. Joseph Sherrer
married Margaret Smith, daughter of William
B. and Elizabeth C. Smith. William B. Smith
was a native of Bloornsbury, New Jersey, and his
wife was born at Carpenterville in the same state.
Their family consisted of three children — Abra-
ham C, Margaret, and Rachel.

William C. Sherrer, son of Joseph and Mar-
garet (Smith) Sherrer, was born in Blooms-
bury, Hunterdon county, New Jersey, October
i8, 1844. His father died when he was but a child,
and he went to live with his maternal grandpar-
ents, Mr. and Mrs. William B. Smith. He re-
ceived his elementary education in the public
schools of Easton and prepared for Lafayette
College. He was, however, disappointed in his
hope for college training, and took a position with
the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company. He
proved himself a highly competent and trust-
worthy employee, and was several times pro-
moted during his service with the company, be-
ing made a conductor in 1865. He resigned this
position after six months and engaged in the com-
mission business in Philadelphia, conducting it
for a year, when he was obliged to go to New
Jersey to take charge of the financial afifairs of
his grandfather. He was occupied there for two
years, and about 1871 went to Bangor, Pennsyl-
vania, where he became superintendent of the El-
mira Slate Company. He was with this company
for three years, when he entered the employ of
the Old Bangor Slate Company, with which he
is still connected, now as chief clerk. He is a
stockholder in his company as well as a stock-
holder and director in the Merchants' National
Bank of Bangor, and secretary and director of



the Banner Slate Company, which controls a
quarry at Danielsville, one of the best in North-
ampton county. He has worked in other than
industrial lines for the betterment of the town^
and has always been ready in the support of
church and school. He is a member of the Pres-
byterian church, a deacon of the society, and su-
perintendent of the Sunday school. He has acted
as chief burgess, town clerk, and school director,,
among other township offices. He is a member
of the Royal Arcanum, and formerly was an ac-
tive member of the Knights of Pythias.

He was married October 12, 1869, to Mary
Angelica Straub, a daughter of Samuel Straub,
of Bath, Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Sherrer
have one son, H. Straub, born October 18, 1875,
who is a graduate of Lafayette College.

ALFRED M. PAFF, president of the First
National Bank of Bangor, Pennsylvania, typical
of the best citizenship and leading financial in-
terests of the borough, was born a farmer boy
of German stock.

His forefathers came to this country about
1793 and settled in Bucks county, Pennsylvania.
The first authentic record is of Jacob Paff, who
was born in Bucks county and spent his life there
as a farmer. He married a woman named Ber-
ger, and of their children, Henry was born Au-
gust 17, 1782, in Richland township, and died at
Lower Mount Bethel, Northampton county, De-
cember 13, 1852. Henry Pafif, who like his fa-
ther was a farmer, married for his first wife
Catherine Demick, and their children were Aaron,
Conrad, Maria, and Peter. The family name of
the second wife was Johnson, and she bore two
children, John and Catherine. Shortly after his
second marriage Henry Pafif moved to North-
ampton county, and there at Lower Mount
Bethel, John was born, the only son of the last
wife. John Pafif was a farmer all his life, and
like those of the generations before him was an
industrious and worthy man. He was a member
of the Lutheran church. He married a woman
named Hile, to whom were born three children.
Christian, Henry and Joseph. The father died
in 1830.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



481



Henry, second son of John i'aff, was born in
Lower Mount Bethel township, October 4, 1821.
lie owned a vaUiable farm of eighty acres which
he cultivated with much intelligence and dirift.
His wife was Sarah Ann Miller, and six children
were born of the marriage, one of whom died in
infancy. The surviving children are: Catherine
Ann, who married R. H. La Bar; Susannah, who
became the wife of Daniel Grewer; Jacob H.,
whose wife's name was Darrhon ; Alfred M., who
was spoken of at the beginning of this article ;
Sarah J., who married Joseph Slamp.

Alfred M., fourth child and second son of
Henry and Sarah Ann (Miller) Pafif, was born
December 14, 1849, on his father's farm in Lower
Mount Bethel township. He grew up in the ac-
tivities of the farm and attended the common
school. He made the best of narrow opportuni-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.2) → online text (page 85 of 94)