John Woolf Jordan John Newton Boucher.

A century and a half of Pittsburg and her people, Volume 4 online

. (page 4 of 69)
Online LibraryJohn Woolf Jordan John Newton BoucherA century and a half of Pittsburg and her people, Volume 4 → online text (page 4 of 69)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mercer county, Pennsylvania, and is a machinist, residing in Greenville. He
belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, both of Greenville, and the Methodist Episcopal church of the same
borough.

Samuel Hamblin married Elizabeth Kile, daughter of John Kile, a farmer
and stock-raiser of Mercer county, and their children were : Mary Catharine,
James Garfield, who is a merchant of Turtle Creek ; Maud, wife of Dr. D. S.
Cossitt, of Conneaut, Ohio ; and Ralph Warren, of whom later.

Ralph Warren Hamblin, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Kile) Hamblin,
received his education in the public schools of Unionville, and after leaving
school learned the machinist's trade at Greenville. In the autumn of 1897
he came to Pittsburg and secured employment with the Westinghouse Electric
& Manufacturing Company, with whom he now holds the position of head of
a department.

His political allegiance is given to the principles indorsed by the Repub-
lican party. He and his wife are members of the Christian Science church of
Pittsburg.

Mr. Hamblin married, August 24, 1899, Madeline, daughter of J. H. and
Julia Elizabeth (Kutruff) Banser, of Greenville, and they are the parents of



Digitized by



Google



22 A CENTURY AND A HALF OF



three children: William Kenneth, born July 5, 1902; Henry Banser, born
January 20, 1905, and Ralph Paul, born August 14, 1907.

JOHN C. REILLY. The late John C. Reilly, president of the Washing-
ton National Bank of Pittsburg, and of the Freehold Real Estate Company of
Fourth avenue, was born in 1845, in Pittsburg, a son of Owen Reilly, then
engaged in the grocery business in that city.

John C. Reilly received his education in the Roman Catholic parochial
schools of his native city, which he attended until his fifteenth year, and then
secured employment as a messenger boy in the auction store of J. McCartney.
He subsequently entered the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company,'
remaining eight years, during which time he worked in the different depart-
ments, thus gaining the knowledge which proved of great advantage to him in
after years. His next venture was as partner in the livery and undertaking
firm of O'Neill & Reilly, which some years later became Bums, O'Neill &
Reilly. Four years later Mr. O'Neill retired, the firm then becoming Burns &
Reilly, with headquarters in Grant street. While in the livery and undertaking
business Mr. Reilly became interested in the traction business, and with the
foresight which was always characteristic of him, saw the great future prom-
ised for Pittsburg and the large population which that city was to have in a
few years, knowing that it must spread over the unoccupied lands toward the
eastern section and over the western portion bordering on the Ohio river.
The firm first started a line of omnibuses, which ran from Second avenue to
Glenwood, near the present site of the Pittsburg Gas Works, to accommodate
the people who had begun to populate that section of the city. Later the line
was extended to Hazelwood, and the firm also established a line of omnibuses
to run from Pittsburg to the West End. As these districts became more settled
the omnibuses were converted into horse car lines, which were the beginning
of the Second avenue traction line and the old Southern Railways Company,
better known as the West End line. In this enterprise James D. Gallery and
the late Thomas M. Bigelow joined with Mr. Reilly, in association with whom
they built the new horse car lines and for many years controlled them. When
electric traction lines were introduced the Second avenue and W>st End lines
were converted into electric lines, and later when traction companies in that
city consolidated the Second avenue and West End lines were taken into the
United Traction Company, thus assuring the fortunes of Mr. Reilly and his
partners. The West End line proved to be one of the greatest investments in
this city for the men who had built it up from an omnibus line to the modem
traction road which opened a wide stretch of territory and gave the people a
quick mode of travel to the West End and the country districts beyond. Mr.
Reilly was made a director of the Pittsburg Railways Company, retaining the
position to the time of his death.

When the Washington National Bank was organized, in 1903, Mt. Reilly,
who was one of the founders and one of the original stockholders, as well as
one of the first directors, was elected president, and held that position until the
close of his life. He was also president of the City Insurance Company, and a
director in the Colonial Trust Company, being likewise connected with several
other financial concerns and industrial enterprises in his native city, in which
his whole life was passed.



Digitized by



Google



PITTSBURG AND HER PEOPLE 23



For one term Mr. Reilly served as alderman of the Fifth ward. He
belonged to the Duquesne and Union Clubs of Pittsburg. Bishop J. S. Regis
Canevin, recognizing his zeal for the welfare of the Roman Catholic church, as
a member of St. Paul's Cathedral, placed him on the building committee of the
new edifice, and his business acumen was of great assistance in the erection of
the present structure.

Mr. Reilly married in February, 1872, Ursula, daughter of David O'Con-
nor, and they became the parents of the following children, all of whom survive
their father : Eugene S., Phillip B., Gilbert, Joanna M., wife of John J. Hart,
of New York; Bertha, and Ursula. All the sons, as well as the daughters,
Bertha and Ursula, reside in Pittsburg.

In November, 1906, Mr. Reilly was seized with cardiac trouble, and was
unable to attend to his business affairs, though not confined to his home. On
February i, 1906, he went to Camlen, South Carolina, to recuperate, and for
a time seemed benefited by the change. Soon, however, he became worse, his
death occurring March 20, 1907. His remains were taken to Pittsburg, where
funeral services were held at St. Paul's Cathedral. Mr. Reilly is survived not
only by his children, but by his wife, Mrs. Ursula Reilly, and also by a brother,
p. B. Reilly, alderman of the Fifth ward, as well as by two sisters, Misses
Elizabeth and Theresa Reilly, of Pittsburg. He was a brother-in-law of Mrs.
Eugene Reilly, also of that city. Mr. Reilly's death caused deep and wide-
spread sorrow throughout the city, being mourned as that of a good man, a
public-spirited citizen, and a benefactor to the community.



EDWIN KEITH CALLAHAN, a prominent and successful business man
of Pittsburg, who enjoys the acquaintance of a large circle of people, by whom
he is highly esteemed for his many excellent characteristics, is a native of
Salem, Ohio, born May 19, 1864. He is a son of John Callahan, who was
a prominent shoe merchant of Salem, Ohio, a man of considerable prominence,
and an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His death occurred
at the age of sixty-six years.

Edwin K. Callahan obtained his early education in the public schools of
his native town, and this was supplemented by attendance at the Iron City
Business College. He began his business career in the express business at
Salem, which he followed with considerable success for a number of years.
Later he embarked in the shoe business, conducting a shoe store in Salem,
which proved a highly remunerative enterprise. He subsequently disposed of
this business and turned his attention to clerical work, serving in the capacity
of bookkeeper for a number of years in his native city. In 1900 he removed
to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where he secured employment as bookkeeper in
the office of the McKinney Manufacturing Company, and later he filled a
similar position with another corporation. Deciding to once more engage in
business on his own account Mr. Callahan on May i, 1907, opened a wholesale
liquor store on Penn avenue, Pittsburg, which he is profitably conducting at
the present time. He casts his vote for the candidates of the Republican party,
the principles of which he believes to be for the best form of government. He
is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 11,
of Pittsburg, and of the Heptasophs.

Mr. Callahan married Adelaide Tescher, of Salem, Ohio, daughter of John



Digitized by



Google



24 A CENTURY AND A HALF OF



Tescher, and three children were born to them. Mrs. Callahan died in January,
1900, aged thirty-two years.

WILLIAM JACKSON GRIFFITH, founder and sole owner of the firm
of W. J. Griffith, dealer in wholesale and retail household specialties, Pittsburg,
Pennsylvania, with branch stores in all the principal cities in Ohio, West Vir-
ginia and Pennsylvania, also president of the Land Trust Company, Pittsburg,
was born in Missouri township, Howard county, Missouri, February 2, 1869,
a son of Fleming E. and Mary A. (Via) Griffith, and grandson of Samuel
Griffith, a native of Virginia, a farmer by occupation, a Democrat in politics,
and a Baptist in religion.

Fleming E. Griffith (father) was born in Patrick county, Virginia, on a
farm. He followed the occupation of farming until the Civil war broke out,
when he enlisted under Stonewall Jackson in 1861, and was a captain under
him when Jackson was killed. He was wounded twice during the war, but
reentered the service when recovered, and was in Lee's army at its surrender
at Gettysburg. He then returned to Virginia, was married at Stuart, Virginia,
in 1867, to Mary A. Via, a native of Stuart county, Virginia, after which he
went to Missouri, cleared land and built a log cabin, where all the children
were born. He followed tobacco and stock-raising until his death in 1879.
He was a Christian and a Democrat. His children were: William Jackson,
born February 2, 1869, see forward. Charles L., bom October 21, 1871.
Arthur T., born March 14, 1874.

William J. Griffith attended the county schools until ten years of age, and
then the Salisbury public school until thirteen years of age, and afterwards was
a graduate of the Salisbury (Missouri) Academy. At the age of ten years
he entered a drug store, where he was employed until eighteen years of age,
and from that to twenty-one years of age was a collector for an installment
house at St. Louis, Missouri. He went to Rochester, New York, in 1892, and
was manager for the American Wringer Company, serving until 1895. He
then came to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, as manager for the same company, and
in 1898. bought out their business and now has eleven stores, as follows :
Wheeling, West Virginia; McKeesport, Washington, Altoona, Johnstown,
Pittsburg, Pennsylvania ; Cleveland, Lorain, Akron, Canton, Elyria, Ohio. His
general offices are at 418 Third avenue, Pittsburg. All the stores are under
his own personal control and ownership. He is an energetic, alert, business
man, and aside from his large private business is actively connected with many
financial and business institutions. He is president of the Land Trust Company
of Pittsburg, office, 315 Fourth avenue; vice-president of the Mutual Trading
Company of New York; and a stockholder in several Pittsburg banks and
industries. Mr. Griffith is a member of the Duquesne Club; the Masonic
Country Club; McKinley Lodge No. 318, Free and Accepted Masons; Alle-
gheny Chapter No. 217, Royal Arch Masons; Mt. Moriah Council No. 2, Royal
and Select Masters; Pittsburg Commandery No. i. Knight Templars; Syria
Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; and a thirty-
second degree Mason of Pennsylvania Consistory, Ancient Accepted Scottish
Rite. He is either an officer or past officer in all bodies of the Masonic
order. Mr. Griffith is a Democrat in politics, but has held no office, pre-
ferring to devote his time to business.



Digitized by



Google



PITTSBURG AND HER PEOPLE 25



Mr. Griffith married, in February, 1888, at ^untsville, Missouri, Ollie
B. Burton, born October 14, 1868, daughter of James M. and Annie E.
Burton, the former of whom was a farmer and stock raiser, was in the Rebel
army during Civil war, and served as sheriff and assessor of Randolph county,
Missouri. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Burton were: Ollie B., Fanny,
Thomas J., Quantrel A., John A., Annie E., Ella B. and Mary E. The
children of Mr. and Mrs. Griffith were: Edith May, born December 14,
1889, a student at Washington Seminary; William J., Jr., born September
23, 1897; Mildred E., born October 25, 1899. Mr. Griffith's family are
members of the Presbyterian church.



THE BRADFORD FAMILY. John J. Bradford, deceased, who was
a worthy representative of the Bradford family, members of which are promi-
nently identified with the history of Crafton borough apd other parts of
Greater Pittsburg, was a native of Belfast, Ireland, bom December 25, 1830,
and died April 4, 1883.

He was educated in his native land, and when a youth of about fifteen
or sixteen years of age came with his uncle, a bfother of his mother, to the
United States. John J. located in Hampton township, Allegheny county,
Pennsylvania, where he worked among the farmers. He subsequently pur-
chased a farm of sixty-five, acres in Hampton townsljip and erected a house,
one of the old type, with the large fireplace built on the outside, which stood
until 1904, when it was torn down. He brought the land up to a high state
of cultivation, and derived therefrom a comfortable livelihood. Ten years
prior to his death he moved to Sharpsburg, where he led a retired life,
enjoying to the full the consciousness of years well spent. He was the owner
of valuable property in the borough of Crafton. He was a man of strict
integrity, of a kind and loving disposition, and his aim in life was to make
others happy. He was a regular attendant of the Sharpsburg Presbyterian
church and contributed liberally to its support, and also to outside charitable
appeals. He cast his vote for the candidates of the Republican part>% but
never sought or desired public office, preferring to devote his time to his home
and family. The mother of John J. Bradford, whose maiden name was
Price, died about the year 1883, aged eighty-one years. She was the mother
of several other children, namely: David, a resident of Belfast, Ireland, who
paid a visit to his brother, John J., many years ago; Mrs. Burnside, Mrs.
Boyd and Margaret Bradford, unmarried. Tradition says that the father of
John J. Bradford was a merchant in Belfast, and the family were of the old
Presbyterian stock.

John J. Bradford married, in Chartiers township, now Crafton, September
16, 1857, Nancy Dinsmore, born in Crafton, in the old log house, which is
still standing, the oldest in the place, December 28, 1840, and died May 21,
1907. She was a daughter of Henry and Margaret (Crum) Dinsmore. Mrs.
Bradford was a devoted Christian woman and was a member of the Haw-
thorne Avenue church of Crafton, having been identified with the Presbyterian
church from early life. She was a very liberal contributor to the church,
and, with a sister, Mrs. William Creighton, and a niece, Miss Ida McMunn,
donated the organ to the Hawthorne Avenue church. Mr. and Mrs. John J.
Bradford were the parents of nine children: i. Margaret, married Henry



Digitized by



Google



26 A CENTURY AND A HALF OF



Sutter, a blacksmith, and they are the parents of five children : Nelson, Ethel,
Anna, Jennie and Olive. The family resides at Allison Park, Pennsylvania.
2. John C, died unmarried, aged thirty-four; he is buried in Greenwood
cemetery, at Sharpsburg, beside his parents; he was by occupation a steel
melter, and was in the employ of the Carbon Steel Works. 3. Elizabeth,
married John C. A. Stein and has three children : Clarence, John and Norman ;
the family resides at Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania. 4. David, died at the age
of thirty. He was a foreman of the Marshall Foundry; married Anna Sheriff
and had three children: Lillian, Irene and Marion; the family reside at
Lawrenceville. 5. Jennie, wife of Joseph A. Saint. Children: Lawrence.
James, Hazel, Lucy, Harold. 6. William Dinsmore (see forward). 7. Anna,
died in infancy. 8. Anna, a resident of Crafton. 9. Rachel, who with her
sister Anna resides on Creighton avenue, Crafton, having lived there since
their removal from Pittsburg, May 3, 1896.

William Dinsmore Bradford, son of John J. and Nancy (Dinsmore)
Bradford, was born in the old home in Hampton township, Allegheny county,
Pennsylvania (as were all his brothers and sisters), October 28, 1869. He
received his education in the public schools of the township and Sharpsburg.
His first beginning in earning a livelihood was as an office boy in the Wilcock
Foundry and Machine Company at Sharpsburg; his next position was that of
threading pipe in the plant of Spang, Chalfont & Company, at Etna, Penn-
sylvania, where he remained for two years. In November, 1888, at the age
of nineteen, he entered the employ of the Carbon Steel Works, beginning as
stoker on the furnaces: he was afterward promoted to helper, subsequently
to melter, and after gaining a thorough knowledge of the various branches of
the work was made foreman on July 10, 1894. The duties of this onerous
position were discharged in sq satisfactory a manner that in 1905 he was
appointed superintendent of the open hearth department of this works. In
addition to the confidence reposed in him by the company Mr. Bradford has
the esteem and good will of the men under his supervision, to whom he is
ever considerate and helpful. He is interested in the Pittsburgh Axle Com-
pany at Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, one of the important industries of that
place. Mr. Bradford has been a resident of Crafton since 1896, and his resi-
dence, purchased at that time, is on the old Dinsmore estate, one of the fine
locations in Crafton. He is a prominent member of the First Methodist
Episcopal church of Crafton and a member of the official board. He is a
member of Crafton Lodge No. 653, Free and Accepted Masons, and is a
Republican in politics.

Mr. Bradford married, September 19, 1893, Tillie Ida Thomas, born in
Hampton township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, October 19, 1868, a
daughter of Christopher and Jeannette (Scott) Thomas. The ceremony wais
performed by the Rev. N. M. Crow, pastor of the Presbyterian church. The
children of Mr. and Mrs. Bradford are: John Christopher, born in Crafton
April 8, 1903 ; Jeannette Dinsmore, born in Crafton April 23, 1906.

HENRY GRAFF HUGUS and EDWARD REED HUGUS, two well-
known residents of Greater Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, are among the most enter-
prising men of that city, and have clone much to further the commercial inter-



Digitized by



Google



PITTSBURG AND HER PEOPLE 27

ests of the same. The name Hugus was originally Hugo, and the family are
kin to Victor Hugo, the late author.

Paul Hugus, grandfather of the two men mentioned above, married Susan
Margaret Swartz, and had children : William ; John ; Paul, see forward ; Jacob ;
Henry and Daniel, twins; Maria and Sarah.

Paul Hugus, son of Paul and Susan (Swartz) Hugus, was born in West-
moreland county, Pennsylvania, and at an early age came to Pittsburg for the
purpose of engaging in business. He accepted a position with David Lloyd, a
dry goods merchant, with whom he remained for a number of years. He then,
in association with his brother WilHam, bought out the business in which he
had so long been employed, and they carried on successfully for forty years
what was at that time one of the most important dry goods establishments in
'the city of Pittsburg. Mr. Hugus finally sold out his interest to his brother
Daniel and Paul Hacke, and established a stove manufactory under the firm
name of Graff, Hugus & Company, the enterprise being also known as The
Western Stove Company. During the remainder of his life Mr. Hugus was
actively identified with this, being a typical business man of the old school.
He held several important offices in the community, among them being that
of head of the board of directors of the German National Bank. He married,
May II, 1846, Priscilla Sophia Graff, and they were the parents of: Henry
Graff, see forward; Edward Reed, see forward; John C, died at the age of
five years ; and Anna M., who married R. Heberton Negley, and has children :
Paul H. and Edward C. Jr., who married Sarah Margaret Gerst, February 11,
1904, and has two daughters, Anna Priscilla, bom April 23, 1905, and Eugenie
Elizabeth, born October 2y, 1906.

Henry Graff Hugus, eldest child of Paul and Priscilla Sophia (Graff)
Hugus, was bom in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, April 3,. 1847. His preparatory
education was received in Oberlin, Ohio, and he then attended Oberlin Col-
lege, afterward becoming a student at the Western University. He is also a
graduate of Eastman's National Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York.
Shortly after the completion of his collegiate course he sought employment
with the firm of Graff & Company, manufacturers of stoves, ranges, etc., as a
collector. He advanced rapidly and soon had charge of the sales department.
About this time his father became a member of the firm, and the name was
changed to that of Graff, Hugus & Company. Henry G. Hugus left this firm
in 1 881 and established a retail store in Smithfield street under his own name.
At this time he was the sole agent for the John Van range for Allegheny
county. With this range was introduced the first broiler by which natural gas
could be utilized. He carried on this business very successfully for a period of
four years and then sold it. In the same year he and his brother Edward Reed
commenced the manufacture of steel hollow ware, organizing the firm known
as The Hugus Wrought Steel Hollow W^are Company, with their works at
Chiswick, Pennsylvania. They were very successful in this undertaking and
soon controlled the patents for the manufacture of hollow ware throughout the
United States, they being the first to manufacture this ware in this country.
They were afterward known as The Pittsburg Gong Works, being the first
successful manufacturers of steel gongs in this country. The gongs were noth-
ing more than the Hugus skillet, nickel plated, and mounted without the handle.
After a time Mr. Hugus and his brother sold their interests in this enterprise
and established a cold and dry storage business at No. 1235 Liberty street.



Digitized by



Google



28 A CENTURY AND A HALF OP



known as The Hugus Central Storage House. Mr. Hugus sold his interest m
this in 1895, retiring from active business at the time, and devoting his tift!*^
вАҐ and attention to the management of his estate. He has never taken an active
part in politics or public enterprises of any description with the exception of
being a life member of the board of trustees of the Pittsburg Hospital, in
which institution he takes a great interest. He is a member of the Grace
Reformed church, with which various members 6i his family are connected. He
has been a member for thirty years of Hailman Lodge, No. 321, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons ; he is also a member of the Pittsburg Country Club, Pittsburg
Board of Trade, Gentlemen's Driving Club of Pittsburg and Allegheny, and
the Schenley Matinee Club. Mr. Hugus is a man devoted to his family and
home life. He is liberal minded in his opinions and entertains most original
ideas.

He married, December 29, iSSd, Sarah Ann Harrison, daughter of James
and Ann (Seager) Harrison, the former of Scotch-Irish descent, and the lat-
ter of English birth. James Harrison was the largest general contractor on
this side of the Allegheny mountains. He built the Allegheny arsenal wall,
the Kittaning jail and courthouse and had contracts for many of the court-
houses of the state. Among other contracts was the construction of the old
Allegheny Valley Railroad. He also did a great deal of cemetery work, being
the originator of the stone burial cases. Both he and his wife were ardent
workers in the interests of religion, the Thirty-third Street Presbyterian church
being organized in the library of their old home in Thirty-third street. Among
the maternal ancestors of Mrs. Hugus were many sea captains, one of whom
fitted out one of the first fleets for the Russian government, at which time he
was presented with a jeweled snuff box with the Russian coat of arms by the
emperor. Mr. and Mrs. Hugus have had children: i. James Harrison, bom
in Pittsburg, August i, 1883. His early education was acquired in the schools
of Mercer, Pennsylvania, and in 1900 he entered the East Liberty College for a
preparatory course; he then attended Duff's Mercantile College, and after a
thorough course in this institution engaged in business for himself in the coal



Online LibraryJohn Woolf Jordan John Newton BoucherA century and a half of Pittsburg and her people, Volume 4 → online text (page 4 of 69)