John Woolf Jordan.

Genealogical and personal history of Fayette county, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) online

. (page 30 of 57)
Online LibraryJohn Woolf JordanGenealogical and personal history of Fayette county, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) → online text (page 30 of 57)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of whom further. 3. Joseph, born 171 5, re-
sided in Franklin county, Pennsylvania. 4.
William, born 1719, in Ireland; married Jean-
nett Shields, and died in Franklin county,
Pennsylvania, January, 1773, leaving issue.
5. Richard, born 1725, in Ireland; was a mer-
chant of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was
one of the signers to the non-importation
resolutions of 1765. 6. Alexander, born in
Ireland, in 1727, settled in Hanover township,
Dauphin county, Pennsylvania; married Mar-
tha Gilchrist, and died March, 1778, leaving
issue.

(H) Moses, son of Richard Swan, born in
Ireland, in 1713; settled in Paxtang town-
ship, L'ncaster county, Pennsylvania, about
1730. He married, in 1737, Jean Barnett.
Children: Hugh, born 1738; John, of whom
further; Isaac, horn 1742, died unmarried;
Catherine, born 1743, married Thomas Por-
ter; William, born 1745, married Martha
Renick; Joseph, born 1747; Moses, 1749;
Jean, 1751; Margaret, f753; Richard, 1757,
married Catherine Boggs.

(IIP) John, son of Moses and Jean (Bar-
nett) Swan, was born in Paxtang, Pennsyl-
vania, 1740. He settled in Maryland, going
from thence to western Pennsylvania, where
he was the first permanent white settler in
Greene county. This honor is disputed, but
there seems to be no evidence of earlier per-
manent settlement, although there were others
who passed over and camped for a time on
the same territory. John Swan, the first set-
tler in Cumberland township and one of the
first who settled in the county, was there as
early as 1767, and looked with an eye of sat-
isfaction on the stately forests of the valley
of Pumpkin Run, and to give notice to all
comers that he had chosen that location for
himself, placed his mark upon it by blazing
the trees around a goodly circuit. This meth-



od of marking a tract was called a "tomahawk
improvement," and though it carried no legal
title from state or Indians, yet it gave a title
which It was not so safe for a rival settler
to disturb and was universally respected.

In 1768 John Swan returned with Thomas
Hughes, later Jacob and Henry Van Meter
came, having made the trip from Maryland,
with their families, settling along the banks
of Muddy Creek near (now) Carmichaels.
John Swan brought a number of slaves with
him, who cleared the forests and cultivated the
ground. There was no trouble at first with
the Indians, but in 1774 Logan made his raid
and began a reign of terror. A fort was
built on John Swan's farm for a place of ref-
uge that was known as Swan's and Van
Meter's Fort. John Swan had sons: John;
Thomas; Charles, and others.

(IV) Colonel Charles Swan, son of John
Swan, was born in Maryland and early came
with his father and the Van Meters to Greene
county. He made the journey with the Van
Meters, and one of them, Sarah, his future
wife, then a girl of ten years, rode the entire
distance on horseback with the party. An
oath of allegiance to the state, by Henry Van
Meter (father of Sarah), a warrant for one
thous?.nd acres of land to Charles Swan, on
the payment of four hundred pounds; a re-
ceipt tor one dollar subscription to the Pitts-
burgh Gazette, dated July 15, 1795, to Charles
Swan; notification to Colonel Charles Swan,
dated 1810, of the passage of an act granting
two thousand dollars for Greensburg Acad-
emy at Carmichaels, provided th.it the Epis-
copal church, of which Colonel Swan was an
active member, would allow the use of its
church edifice, are all preserved in Greene
county records. Colonel Charles Swan was
a leading character in the county, and a man
of wealth. He married Sarah Van Meter,
with whom he made the journey to Greene
county in childhood.

(V) Robert, son of Colonel Charles and
Sarah (Van Meter) Swan, died December 29,
1873. He married, in 1818, Susanna Gregg,
who died in 1866, aged seventy-one years.
Children Presley G., Sarah Ann, Charles H.,
Alford G., Ruth', William, Emily.

(VI) Presley G., son of Robert and Susanna
(Gregg) Swan, was born in March, 1821; died
in 1891; he married Miranda Hibbs, of Red-



464



PENNSYLVANIA



stone township, Fayette county, Pennsylvania.
Children: Richard, married Catherine Boram;
Jane Violet, married Joseph N. Chaltant;
John Hibbs, married Harriet Chalfant; Sarah
(^Sallie) Ann, married Joseph M. Campbell
(see Campbell V.)



This is a Scotch name of
CAMPBELL high distinction, the
Campbells being a High-
land clan, noted in their home, and whose de-
scendants have been eminent in other parts
of the world. According to their tradition,
the clan Campbell is of Irish origin, being de-
scended from the great King Hereinon, who
reigned in Ireland from 1699 to 1683 B. C.
Heremon's descendants form by far the most
illustrious line in Ireland, and his ancestry
is traced by the Irish chroniclers to Adam
without a single break. As Pennsylvania has
received from early days a large Scotch in-
fusion, it is not strange, but rather what
should have been expected, that Campbell is
a common name in the state; and Fayette
county has its due proportion of Campbells.
As, however, the present family came into
Pennsylvania from Ohio and was settled in
that state at an early date, it is probable that
its first American seat was Connecticut; and
that state has a Campbell family from at
least as early as 1719 of Irish origin from
county Ulster, the immigrant ancestor being
Robert Campbell, who arrived at New Lon-
don, Connecticut, about 1719.

(I) William Campbell, the first member of
this family about whom we have definite in-
formation, was born July 11, 1761. He lived
in Ohio and was a farmer. He married Ruth
Crawford, who was born March 26, 1764,
Children: Mary, born October 22, 1791 ;
James C, February 17, 1793; Ephraim, June
10, 1795; William (2), of whom further; Mar-
garet, born June 22, 1798; Elizabeth, Feb-
ruary 16, 1800; Ruth, July 19, 1801; Regal,
June 15, 1803; Rachel, May 5, 1805; Abel,
October 26, 1807; Benjamin, August 14,
1809.

(II) William (2), son of William (I) and
Ruth (Crawford) Campbell, was born Au-
gust 13, 1796, and died December 19, 1875.
He was brought up and educated in Ohio, in
which state he was a farmer of moderate
means. Having farmed in Ohio for some
years, in 1822 he removed to Perryopolis,



Fayette county, Pennsylvania. About a mile
from Perryopolis he settled on a farm of
about one hundred and sixty acres, which
had once been part of the estate of George
Washington, and here he became an experi-
enced and successful farmer. An old Whig,
he was in his later days a RepubUcan. In
religion he was a Quaker. He married Mary,
daughter of Caleb and Martha Antram, who
was born August 31, 1797, and died April 22,
1872. This family we suppose to be an off-
shoot of the Antrims, Antrams and Antrums
of New Jersey; these are all sprung from two
brothers, John and James, who were among
the earliest of the Quaker settlers of West
Jersey; their descendants have been among
the sturdiest and strongest supporters of that
belief in the colony and state, and from them
have come several citizens of prominence.
Caleb Antrim was a Quaker; he was born
February 9, 1756, and died February 2, 1842;
his first wife, Sarah, died October 22, 1792,
and his second wife, Martha, born in 1763,
died July 21, 1834. By these two wives he
had nine children. Children of William (2)
and Mary (Antram) Campbell: 1. Morgan,
born January 18, 1825, married Priscilla
Sharpless; three children. 2. Robert, born
June 24, 1826, married Elizabeth Price; three
children. 3. Ruth, born October 28, 1828,
married John Henderson; no children. 4.
Caleb, born February 14, 1830, married Mary
Gaddis. 5. Reuben B., born October 14,
1 83 1, married Jane Haggerty; they are living
in Illinois, and have had six children. 6. Ben-
jamin, born September 2, 1833, died in 1834.
7. Joseph, born April 15, 1836, married Sarah
Blaney; one child. 8. Eliza Ann, born August
4, 1838, married William A. Blaney. 9. Sam-
uel, of whom further. 10. Clark B., born
April 16, 1842, married, October 31, 1878,
Susan C. Smith; two children.

(Ill) Samuel, son of William (2) and Mary
(Antram) Camphell, was born near IV-rrvon-
olis August 4, 1840. He was brought up in
Perry township, living on his father's farm
until he was twenty-five years old, and at-
tended school in this township. At the age of
twenty-five he bought a farm for himself.
For the last seventeen years (1912) he has
lived on the old Poundstone farm, nenr Mc-
Clellandtown; its extent was formerly eighty-
five ac'res, hut part hns been sold away; tlie
fifty-seven acres which remain are all under



FAYETTE COUNTY



465



cultivation, and there is a gas well on the
larm. Part of the house is more than one
hundred and fifty years old. Mr. Campbell
is a Republican, and has served one year as
school director. He is a Presbyterian. He
niarric-d (first) January i. 1867, friannah G.,
daughter of John and Mary (Gallagher) Mc-
Combs, who died January 14, 1892; (second)
September 10, 1895, Hannah, daughter of
George and Susan (Stumm) Poundstone, who
was born November 21, 1848. Her father,
grandson of the first George Poundstone,
was born September 13, 1801, and died De-
cember 3, 1884. He married, in 1836, Susan
Stumm, who was born August 2, 1806, and
died February 28, 1884. Children of George
and Susan (Stumm) Poundstone: Mary, born
February 26, 1838, died January i, 1899, mar-
ried David R. Cofifman; eight children; Eliza-
beth, born November 29, 1839, died January

16, 191 1, married David R. CofTman; Mar-
garet, born October 16, 1841, married John
H. Long; two children; John H., born June

17, 1841, died July 30, 1845; Catharine, born
January 6, 1847, died December 9, 1865;
Hannah, married Samuel Campbell (see
Poundstone). Samuel Campbell has no chil-
dren by either marriage.



This branch of the Gilmore
GILMORE family descends from James

Gilmore, born in Ireland,
came to America during the revolutionary
war, settling in Somerset county, later in
Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he
died.

(H) John, son of James Gilmore, was born
in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in 1780,
died in Butler county, Pennsylvania, 1845.
He passed his boyhood and days of youthful
manhood in Washington county, obtaining
an education and preparing for the profession
of law. He was admitted to the bar at the
age of twenty-one years, and soon afterward
began the practice of law in Pittsburgh, Penn-
sylvania. In 1803 he married in the town of
Washington, Pennsylvania, and the same
year settled in Butler, Pennsylvania, having
received the appointment as deputy attorney-
general. He served several terms in the
legislature from Butler county, was speaker
of the house in 1821 and most prominent in
the legal and political history of Butler coun-
ty during the first twenty-five years of its ex-



istence as a separate political diversion. He
was the hrst congressman elected from But-
ler county; he was a Democrat and an Epis-
copalian. He married Eleanor Spence An-
derson, a native of Maryland. Children: 1.
Samuel A., of whom further. 2. John, died
young. 3. Frank, died young. 4. Alfred, born
in Butler, Pennsylvania, studied law with his-
brother, Samuel A., and was admitted to
practice March 15, 1836; he became a suc-
cessful lawyer and a politician, serving in
congress, 1849-51; later he became a resident
of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, then of Lenox,
Massachusetts, where he died about 1890; he
married Louisa Grant, whom he met in
Washington while serving in congress. 4.
Anna Lena, married Eugene Ferrero, a law-
yer of Butler county.

(HI) Judge Samuel Anderson Gilmore,
son of John Gilmore, was born in Butler,
Pennsylvania, January 21, 1808, died in.
Uniontown, Pennsylvania, May 16, 1873. He
was educated at Jefferson College, studied
law under the direction of his father, and was
admited to the bar January 8, 1828. He prac-
ticed in Butler, becoming very well knowa
and popular. He was elected to the legisla-
ture 1836 and 1837, and was secretary to the
constitutional convention of 1838. In 1848 he
was appointed judge of the territory forming-
the fourteenth and twenty-seventh judicial
districts by Governor Shunk, when that office
became an elective one. In 185 1 he was.
easily elected president judge, an office he
held until death. After his appointment as
judge he lived in Washington, Pennsylvania,
one year, then located in Uniontown. He
was the ideal judge, learned in the law, im-
partial and a hater of wrong or injustice.
He endeavored to see that justice and equity
prevailed in every case that came before him,,
and had the unvarying respect of the lawyers
whose cases he sat in judgment upon. He
was a Democrat in politics and a member of
the Episcopal church.

He married Elvira A. Plumer, born in
Venango county, Pennsylvania, November
26. 1827, who survived her husband until Oc-
tober 25, 1892 (see Plumer). Children of
Judge Samuel Anderson and Elvira A.
(Plumer) Gilmore: i. Eleanor A., married A.
J. Mead, deceased, a grain dealer of Kansas
City; she now resides in LTniontown. 2. Ar-
nold P., deceased, a physician of Chicago.



466



PENNSYLVANIA



Illinois, specializing in diseases of the eyes
and ear; he married (first) Fanny Gilbreath,
of lirie, Pennsylvania, (second) Lena Alarsh.
3. John, of whom further. 4. Lida G., widow
of Arthur Weir Bliss (see Bliss IX); she sur-
vives her husband, a resident of Uniontown.
5. Henry Plumer, of Fairmount, West Vir-
ginia. 6. Patti Adams, married George B.
Kaine. deceased; three children. 7. Gweenth-
leen, married Raymond W. Green, one child,
Samuel. 8. David Watson. 9. Eleanor.

(IV) John (2), son of Judge Samuel An-
derson and Elvira A. (Plumer) Gilmore, was
born in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, at the
"Gilmore IMansion," February 22, 1855, died
September 2, 1907. His early education was
obtained in the public school, his preparatory
at the Hills School, Pottstown, Pennsylvania,
after which he entered Lafayette College,
from whence he was graduated. After com-
pleting his college course he began business
life as a hardware merchant at New Castle,
Pennsylvania, in partnership with Fred
Plumer, a relative of his mother. Later he
sold his interest to his partner and began
farming. He was very successful in his farm-
ing operations, and continued for several
years. He later returned to the hardware
business, forming a partnership and trading
under the firm name of Gilmore & Frey.
They purchased the hardware stock and good
will of Z. B. Springer in Uniontown, and
there Mr. Gilmore was very successfully en-
gaged in business until his death. He had
other important business interests outside his
hardware store. He was interested in farms
and fine stock raising; organized the Gilmore
Coal & Coke Company and also had coal in-
terests in both Fayette and Greene counties.
He was a prosperous, influential citizen and
held leading positions in his city. He was a
Democrat in politics, but was never an
aspirant for public office. In religious faith,
he and his wife are Episcopalians.

He married, April 16, 1874, Mary, born in
Uniontown, daughter of Louis D. and Isa-
bella B. (Frey) Beall (see Beall). Children of
Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore: i. Guy B., born Sep-
tember 14, 1876, married Nella Epperson,
and resides in Sumpter, South Carolina; chil-
dren: John A. and Wiliam E. 2. Samuel An-
derson, born May 30, 1879, an attorney of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, married Mary G.
Taylor.



(The Plumer Line.)
Mrs. Elvira A. (Plumer) Gilmore was a
descendant of Francis Plumer, one of the
founders of the town of Newbury, Massachu-
setts, 1635.

(I) Nathaniel Plumer, the first of the name
in Pennsylvania, was born in Newbury, Mas-
sachusetts; was a commissary in Braddock's
army and quartermaster of Forbes army.

(II) Nathaniel (2), son of Nathaniel (i)
Plumer, settled in western Pennsylvania and
purchased four hundred acres of land, em-
bracing part of the site of Mount Washing-
ton, now one of the wards of the city of Pitts-
burgh, and settled thereon in 1789.

(III) Samuel, son of Nathaniel (2) Plumer,
married Patty Adams and settled in Jackson
township in 1800.

(IV) Arnold, son of Samuel Plumer, was
born June 6, 1801. He was educated in the
public school and by his mother, and grew
to manhood on the farm. He early took a
deep interest in politics and became a recog-
nized leader of the Democratic party. He was
but twenty-two years of age when he was
elected sheriff of Venango county. On Jan-
uary 25, 1830, Governor Wolf appointed him
prothonotary and clerk of the several courts,
recorder of deeds and register of wills, which
office he held six years. In 1836 he was
elected a member of the Twenty-fifth Con-
gress. On March 20, 1839, he was appointed
by President Van Buren United States mar-
snail for western district of Pennsylvania,
which office he held until May 6, 1841. In
( )ctober, 1840, he was elected a member of
the Twenty-seventh Congress. December 14,
1847, he was again appointed United States
marshall, serving until April 31, 1848. when
he resigned to accept the office of state treas-
urer of Pennsylvania, to which he had been
elected by the legislature of that year. After
the close of his term in the state treasurer's
office he returned to private life and business.
He retained a lively interest in politics and
was a warm personal friend of President
Buchanan, whose candidacy he was largely
instrumental in promoting. He was slated
by the president for a cabinet appointment,
but positively refused to allow the president
to appoint him. He was a strong man and
of strong character. Had he possessed the
advantages of an education, there were no
heights to which he could not have risen.



FAYETTE COUNTY



467



He married, January 6, 1827, Margaret,
daughter of George McClelland, of Franklin,
Pennsylvania. His was the hrst death to
break the family circle, April 28, 1869. The
courts of the county adjourned out of respect
to his memory, and deepest regret was heard
everywhere. Children of Arnold and Mar-
garet (McClelland) Plummer: i. Elvira A.,
of previous mention, wife of Judge Samuel
A. Gilmore. 2. Samuel, was a lawyer of
Franklin county, Pennsylvania; married

; their only son. Lewis M. Plumer,

is a leading attorney of Pittsburgh, Pennsyl-
vania. 3. Margaret, married Henry Lam-
berton, a lawyer of Carlisle, Pennsylvania,
later lived in Winona, Minnesota. 4. Eliza,
married Rev. Richard Austin, of Uniontown,
a minister of the Baptist church. 5. Arnold,
married Rachel Smith; he was a merchant
of Franklin, Pennsylvania. 6. Henry, mar-
ried Lily Davenport, of Erie, Pennsylvania;
ne was a lawyer of Franklin, Pennsylvania,
moved to Germantown, Pennsylvania, where
his wife and children yet live.
(The Beall Line.)
The arms of the Beall family are: Three
white bells on a blue shield. The above arms
are the same as those accredited to Robert
Bell, of Scotland, in the year 1427. These
Bells are on the list of the annuity clans in
West Marches in 1587; the Bells Tower is
mentioned in the rets of parliament in 1481.
The American ancestor. Colonel Ninian
Beall, came from Scotland in Calvert county,
Maryland, in 1655. On first coming to Mary-
land he signed his name Bell and it would
seem to have been carelessness of clerks in
the record ofifices that caused the change to
Beall as he afterward wrote it. In Maryland
he soon bcame a leader in the military affairs
of the province, which fact indicates previous
experience in such matters. In 1676 he was
commissioned lieutenant of Lord Baltimore's
yacht or vessel of war, called the "Loyal
Charles of Maryland." He took an active
part in the revolution of 1689 led by Goode,
who it is said called Major Ninian Bell his
'"Argyll", after the great Scotch covenanter.
He was appointed major in 1689, and in 1690
was one of twenty-five commissioners for
regulating afTairs in Maryland until the next
meeting of the assembly in 1692 when he was
appointed high sheriff of Calvert county. The
year following he was designated colonel, and



in 1697 was one of the board of commis-
sioners to treat with the Indians. An act
passed in 1699 reads: "An act of gratitude
to Colonel Ninian Beall." After reciting his
valuable services the act awards "75 pounds
sterHng to be applied to the purchase of three
serviceable negroes."

In this same year he was appointed com-
mander-in-chief of the Rangers. In 1696 he
had taken the oath as member of the house
of burgesses for Calvert county, and was also
the first representative elected for Prince
George county. Although he was an elder
of the Presbyterian church he signed a peti-
tion in 1696 to the king for the establishment
of the Church of England in Maryland. Five
years later he donated half an acre of land in
Prince George county for "Ye erecting and
building of a house for ye service of Al-
mighty God." He always remained a loyal
Presbyterian and kept the Presbyterians on
the Patuxent together until the arrival of
Nathaniel Taylor who came over with a con-
gregation of Scots from Fifeshire in 1690.
He was a man of wealth and devised to his
children many thousands of Maryland's, most
fertile acres.

His son. Colonel George Beall, inherited
part of the tract granted to his father called
"The Rock of Dumbarton" on which the city
of Georgetown is built, a town founded by
Colonel Ninian Beall. "Scharf's History of
Maryland" states that Colonel Ninian Beall
about the year 1678 induced Presbyterians
to settle around and upon the locality where
the cities of Washington and Georgetown, D.
C, now stand.

Colonel Beall died at the age of ninety-two
years. He was buried on the home planta-
tion, and when in recent years his remains
were removed, owing to the growth of
Georgetown, where his home was situated, it
was found that he was six feet seven inches
in stature and that his Scotch red hair had
retained all its fiery hue. There is one gift
of Colonel Ninian Beall to the church he
loved that deserves especial mention. This
was a handsome silver service made by a cel-
ebrated London silversmith, in 1707, and
presented to the Patuxent Presbyterian
church. The service was sent to the church
at Bladensburg, originally part of Patuxent
parish, after the church at Upper Marlboro
was abandoned. Part of the service has



468



PENNSYLVANIA



been lost, but in 1888 two chalices and a
handsome tankard were in use by the church,
which is now located at Hyattsville. So far
as known this is the oldest silver service in
the United States. He has a distinguished
posterity вАФ most of the alliance of children
and grandchildren were with Scotch families
who had settled in Prince George county, in
the part called New Scotland. Two of his
daughters married Magruders; another a
Belt; another an Edmondson. EHza Ridgely
Beall, his great granddaughter, married
Colonel George Corbin Washington, son of
Colonel William Augustine and Jane (Wash-
ington) Washington, fourth child of Augus-
tine VVashington, the elder half brother of
President George Washington. Although
born in Virginia, Colonel George Corbin
Washington, who married Eliza Ridgely
Beall, adopted Maryland as his home and rep-
resented the Montgomery county district
three successive terms in congress. He died
in Georgetown in 1854.

Seven members of the Beall family were
officers in the continental army, three of them
becoming members of the "Society of the
Cincinnati." A grandson of Colonel Ninian
Beall was the founder of the city of Cumber-
land, Maryland.

Louis D. Beall, father of Mrs. Mary (Beall)
Gilmore, and a direct descendant of Colonel
Ninian Beall, was born in Allegheny county,
Maryland, coming to Fayette county, Penn-
sylvania, about 1840-45, and locating in
Uniontown, where he died in 1871. He was
a merchant for many years, later engaging in
stock dealing. He was a man of high char-
acter and strict integrity, a citizen of value
to his town. His wife, Isabella B. (Frey)
Beall, born in Allegheny, Maryland, died in
1874.

Children of Mr. and Mrs. Beall: i. Clar-
ence H., now living retired in Uniontown,
Pennsylvania; married Elizabeth Smith. 2.
Louis Erwin, after several years of service in
the postal and naval departments of the
Unhed States at Washington, D. C, returned
to Uniontown, Pennsylvania, where in com-
pany with Judge Nathaniel Ewing he founded
the Hygeia Crystal Ice & Cold Storage Com-
pany, a prosperous company of which he is
now the head; he married, in December,
1884. Harriet Morgan Clark; children: Louis
Erwin, Jr., Priscilla McKeag and Edward



Clark. 3. Lilli, married (first) Lieutenant



Online LibraryJohn Woolf JordanGenealogical and personal history of Fayette county, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) → online text (page 30 of 57)