Copyright
Joseph F. (Joseph Fulford) Folsom.

Bloomfield, old and new; an historical symposium online

. (page 5 of 13)
Online LibraryJoseph F. (Joseph Fulford) FolsomBloomfield, old and new; an historical symposium → online text (page 5 of 13)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mus, as also the roll of the company. They are valu-
able historical documents. The story of the regiment
is as follows :

"The 26th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry was or-
ganized on September 3, 1862 ; and mustered in at New-
ark, N. J., September 18, 1862, by Captain S. M.
Sprole, 4th United States Infantry. During its term
of service it had the following field officers : Andrew
Morrison, Colonel ; Thomas A. Colt and Edward Martin-
dale, Lieutenant-Colonels ; J. W. DeCamp and William
W. Morris, Majors; Amos J. Cummings, Sergeant
Major; Adjutant, John C. White; Quartermaster, John
H. Bailey ; Quartermaster Sergeant, Ira Kilburn ; Sur-
geon, Luther G. Thomas ; Chaplain, D. T. MorriU.
Moved to Washington, D. C, September 26, 1862.

"Assigned to General Henry S. Briggs, provisional
command Army of the Potomac, September 30, 1862.
Served in the 2d Brigade, 2d Division, 6th Army Corps,
Army of the Potomac, from October 11, 1862. General
W. T. H. Brooks, Colonel Henry Whiting and Colonel
L. A. Grant commanding the Brigade; Major General
William F. Smith and Brigadier General A. P. Howe,
the Division; and Major General John Sedgwick, the
corps. Reported to General Banks, commanding the
defenses of Washington, December 27, 1862.

"Moved with General Briggs, provisional command,
to Frederick, Md., September 30, 1863, to join the 6th
Army Corps. Attached to the 2d Brigade, 2d Division,
at Hagerstown, Md., October 11th. 'This Brigade was
known as the First Vermont Brigade,' composed of the
2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th Vermont and 26th New Jersey
Volunteers. Remained at Hagerstown until October



BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 65

31st. Marched to and crossed the Potomac at Berlin,
Md., October 31st to November 2d. Advanced into Vir-
ginia, November 6th. Reached Upperville, November
5th ; White Plains, November 6th ; New Baltimore, No-
vember 9th. Marched to Stafford C. H., November
16th-17th; and to White Oak Church, December 4th-
6th. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12th-
15th. Crossed the Rappahannock at Franklin's Cross-
ing or Deep Run, December 12th; deployed in line of
battle, advanced and occupied positions on the Richmond
Road and Deep Creek until December 15th. Winter
quarters near Bell Plain Landing, December 20, 1862,
to April 28, 1863.

"IVIud march, January 20-23, 1863. Fatigue duty
with the pontoons, January 21st-22d. Chancellors-
ville campaign, April 28th to May 6th. Operations at
Franklin's Crossing, April 29th to May 2d. Guard of
pontoon train to Bank's Ford, night of April 30th.
Crossed the Rappahannock at Deep Run, evening of
May 2d; and moved to position on Hazel Run, before
day. May 3d. Second battle of Fredericksburg, May
3-4, 1863. Assault and capture of Mayres Heights
and occupation of Fredericksburg, May 3d. Battle of
Salem Church, May 3d and 4th. Actions on Dowman's
Farm and near Banks' Ford, May 4th. With the Rear
Guard covered the crossing of the 6th Corps at Banks'
Ford. Crossed the river night of May 4th, and as-
sisted in removing the pontoons, morning of May 5th.
Returned to camp at Bell Plain, May 8th. Operations
at FrankHn's Crossing or Deep Run Ravine, June 5th
to 10th.

"Colonel Grant, commanding the brigade, reported as
follows : 'The troops were ordered forward to drive the



66 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW

enemy from the rifle pits on the opposite side of the
Rappahannock at Franklin's Crossing; they rushed
gallantly down the bank and under a galling fire
launched the pontoons, rowed across, charged the rifle
pits, captured them with many prisoners. It was an
exciting and brilliant aff^air, and no account can do
justice to officers and men engaged.' Occupied a
position in the front line of battle across the Bowling
Green Road, near the Bernard House, June 6th and
7th; with the Brigade held the front in face of the
enemy for about fifty hours. Relieved from duty at the
front, June 14th. Moved to Washington, D. C, June
14th-] 7th; thence to Newark, N. J., June 19th.
Mustered out June 27, 1863. Expiration of service.'*

The following is a list of Company F, 26th Regi-
ment, New Jersey Volunteers, 2d Brigade, 2d Division,
6th Army Corps. In this list those still living are so
designated, the others have died. Where any have been
wounded, taken prisoner or killed in battle, the fact is
stated ; and those not of Bloomfield have their residence
suffixed.

Captains. — Walter H. Dodd; Robert J. Beach.

Lieutenants. — ^William R. Taylor, Montclair ; Francis
Danbacker, living.

Sergeants. — Ira S. Dodd, living ; George W. Cadmus,
living; John M. Wheeler, Montclair, killed in battle;
Charles Litteel.

Corporals. — Joseph W. Nason, Montclair, killed in
battle ; Joseph B. Osborn, wounded in battle ; William
Egbertson, Montclair, wounded in battle; James H.
Williams, Montclair; John M. Corby, Montclair, taken
prisoners ; John H. Cockef air, living ; Edwin F. Dodd,
Montclair, living; William H. Baldwin.



BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 67

Drummers. — Frederick Collins, living; Charles H.
Garabrant.

Wagoners. — David Post ; Charles Twiggs.

Privates. — John Ackerman, taken prisoner; Thomas
Andrews ; Peter Arnolds, Montclair ; August Baldwin ;
Joseph Baldwin, wounded in battle ; George M. Ball,
living ; Andrew Brady ; Egbert Bush, Caldwell ; James
H. Cadmus ; Peter H. Cadmus ; Alfred T. H. Church ;
Ephraim Cockefair ; John Collins ; Henry A. Corby,
Montclair ; William H. Corby, Montclair ; Henry M.
Crane, wounded in battle ; James B. Crane, Montclair,
living ; Joseph G. Crowell ; Edwin Dodd ; Horace Dodd,
living; Samuel W. Dodd; Eli Drew, living; Cornelius
Delhagan, Montclair, living; Daniel Delhagan, living;
George W. Ellis ; Hamilton W. Ellis, wounded in battle;
Frederick Fairchild; Edson J. Fairchild; Edwin H.
Freeman ; Frederick Fitchett ; Henry Glass, living ; John
Gattschalk ; William Goud, Jr. ; William GrifFen ; Mon-
row Harrison ; Ambrose F. Harvey, wounded in battle ;
John Henieon, Caldwell, living; Lewis Herrings, living;
Peter Angold, Montclair; Richard Jacobus, living;
Charles Johnson, Montclair ; Balthaser Kentz ; Charles
G. Keyler, living ; William Koroger ; Andrew Lampeter ;
Charles Leist, Montclair; Elias N. Bettell, Montclair;
Charles M. Lockwood, living; John A. Magill, wounded
in battle ; Samuel Magill, living ; Michael Maher ; Theo-
dore E. McGarry; James J. Messeler, living; Robert
A. Morris; Michael Mullharion; Joseph M. Osborn,
wounded in battle, living; Stephen W. Penney, New-
ark ; John D. Penn, Montclair ; George W. Post, Mont-
clair; Joseph W. Penn, Montclair; Aaron R. Quimby,
living ; William Riker, Montclair ; George Sidell ; Will-
iam Simcox, wounded in battle, living ; Thomas Summer-



68 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW

vill; John W. Spear; John Speller; Henry Taylor,
wounded ; Samuel Howell ; Charles Twiggs ; George
Ungamah, Montclair ; John G. Vangeison ; Mortimer
Whitehead, Montclair.

Discharged from Service. — Newton Peaney, Newark,
sick ; died same day.

Died in Service. — John W. Wheeler, Montclair, killed
in battle ; Henry Hoffman ; Charles Littell ; Peter Kings,
Montclair.

In order to memorialize these patriotic men, and all
other Bloomfield soldiers and sailors who served in any
of the wars of the past, there is being prepared a noble
monument to be erected at this present (1912) cen-
tennial celebration. It will stand on the small triangu-
lar park at the corner of Broad and Franklin streets,
and by its commanding position attract the eye of every
passerby. Five generous contributions made possible
this memorial, the amount reaching $3,000. With this
encouraging start assured the required total came
quickly. Bloomfield has added to its beauty by honor-
ing the brave.




o CC^PyRlGvHTZT]



Monument in Memory of the Citizens of Bloonifield who served in the Army and
Navy of the United States. Erected in 191-2 in connection with the Cele-
bration of the Centennial of the Incorporation of the Town



INCORPORATION AND SUBSEQUENT
GOVERNMENT

By Raymond F. Davis

Previous to the year 1812, Bloomfield, as well as
many of the other municipalities of this section of the
State, was a part of the Township of Newark. In
1806 Newark was divided into three wards, called New-
ark Ward, Orange Ward and Bloomfield Ward. Bloom-
field Ward was unofficially subdivided into sections for
convenience in designating particular localities. Among
these we find Cranetown, Second River, Watsesson
Plain, Newtown, Morris Neighborhood and Stone
House Plain. Some of these names have been handed
down and are still in use.

This section of New Jersey was first settled in May,
1666, by Colonists from Connecticut, and for one hun-
dred and forty years all of the Newark territory ex-
tending from the Orange Mountains to the Passaic
River remained under one government. The township
of Orange was set apart by the Legislature on Novem-
ber 27, 1806, and then the inhabitants of the northern
portion of the remaining Newark territory stirred
themselves, and also decided that it would be advisable
to have a separate government. As a result of this de-
cision, on January 24, 1812, the Council and General
Assembl}^ of New Jersey passed an act setting off a new
township from the Township of Newark, and incorpo-
rated it by the name of "The inhabitants of the town-
ship of Bloomfield in the County of Essex." This act^
which is printed in an appendix in this volume, provided

69



70 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW

that it should not be effective until the fourth Monday
of March (March 23), 1812. The act further pro-
vided that the first Town Meeting should be held at the
house of Isaac Ward on the second Monday in April,
1812.

Hence, March 23, 1812, marks the beginning of
Bloomfield's individual entity as an incorporated gov-
ernment : and on April 12, 1812, the first meeting of
Bloomfield's governing body was held.

At these annual Town Meetings members of the
Township Committee and other officers were elected, and
various questions now decided by the Town Council were
voted upon by all of the qualified voters present.

This rather indefinite form of government was satis-
factory at that time, for the wants of the community
were few and the times were not particularly progres-
sive. Bloomfield Township at this time contained the
territory now comprising Montclair, Glen Ridge,
Franklin, Nutley and Belleville, and part of the Wood-
side, and Forest Hill, sections of Newark, with a total
area of 20.52 square miles, as compared to the present
area of 6.38 square miles.

The Townships in those days were commonly sub-
divided into villages.

The New Jersey State Gazetteer of 1834 says, "The
villages of the Township of Bloomfield are Belleville,
Bloomfield, Spring Garden and Speertown," and gives
the population of Bloomfield Village as 1,600 inhabit-
ants.

Tlic tract known as Belleville, which had been called
by that name since 1797, became a separate township
in 1839, with a population of about 2,500 people, cut-
ting Bloomfield's census in half.



BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 71

In 1846 the New Jersey Legislature passed what is
known as the Township Act of 1846, which specifically
states that certain townships shall be governed thereby,
among them Bloomfield. Others of Essex County in-
cluded therein were Springfield, Clinton, Union, Belle-
ville, Rahway, Westfield, New Providence, Elizabeth,
Orange, Caldwell, Livingston and Newark. Union
County was not set off from Essex until 1857.

This statute of 1846 states that "All who are quali-
fied by law to vote are directed and required to assemble
and hold Town Meetings on the second Monday in April
Annually." These meetings were held at noon, and
notices were posted in four public places by the Town-
ship Clerk, by order of the Township Committee, at least
eight days previous to date of the meeting.

At these meetings the following officers were elected:

Five Freeholders, resident within the Township, to be
denominated the "Township Committee."

One Clerk,

One or more Assessors,

One or more Collectors,

Three or more Freeholders to hear appeals from as-
sessments,

Two Chosen Freeholders,

Two Surveyors of the Highways,

One or more Overseers of the Poor,

One or more Constables,

As many pound keepers and overseers of the highways
as necessary,

One Judge of Election.

AU of the foregoing were elected for the term of one
year.



72 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW

In this same year (1846) another act was passed by
the Legislature entitled "An Act to authorize the in-
habitants of the Township of Bloomfield, in the County
of Essex, to vote by ballot at their town meetings."

As a result of these two enactments the local govern-
ment assumed a more definite form, and much more in-
terest was taken in town matters by the inhabitants.

In 1868 that part of Bloomfield formerly called West
Bloomfield, or Cranetown, became incorporated as the
Township of Montclair, taking nearly three thousand
persons from the population of Bloomfield. Whitte-
more's History of Montclair states that "The erection
of Montclair as a separate township was occasioned by
the refusal of the citizens of Bloomfield proper to con-
sent to the bonding of the township of Bloomfield for
the purpose of constructing the Montclair Railway."

In 1871 Woodside left us, and shortly afterward
(1874) Franklin established her independence. Still
later, in 1895, the Borough of Glen Ridge went out.
All this time the practical government of the township
by the Township Committee was becoming more firmly
established, and we find that two or three meetings of
the Township Committee were held every month.

The earliest official record of election is that of 1871,
which shows the following officers elected, and apprtr
priations decided upon:

Judge of Election. . . .Charles M. Davis.

Assessor Joseph K. Oakes.

Collector Joseph A. Davis, Jr.

Clerk J. Banks Reford.

Chosen Freeholders . . . Augustus T. Morris and Will-
iam Cadmus.



BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW



7S



Surveyor of Highways
Commis. of Appeal . . .



Overseer of Poor.
Town Committee



Justice of the Peace.
Constable



For repair of Roads
" Support of Poor
" Contingencies .

" Schools

" Cross Walks . .
Place of holding Elec-
tions for the coming
year



Jos. K. Oakes and Nath'l H.

Dodd.
Warren S. Baldwin, David
Oakes and Phineas J. Ward.
William R. Hall.
Samuel Benson, Samuel Potter,
James C. Beach, John Hall,
Phineas J. Ward, John Sher-
man, Abram Yerance.
Peter Groshong.
Charles S. Squire, Charles B.
HofF, J. Mahlon Walker,
Charles Farrand.
$6,000
2,500
, 3,500

4 per Scholar.
500



Presbyterian Church Lecture
Room.



Since 1871 the following persons have served as town
clerks : J. Banks Reford, 1872 ; John Fulf ord Folsom,
1873-1877 ; Stephen Morris Hulin, 1878 ; Edwin West-
lake, 1879-1881 ; E. F. Farrand, 1882-1891 ; William
L. Johnson, 1892-1909 ; Raymond F. Davis, 1909-.

Those who have been chairmen of the Township
Committee or Town Council since 1890 are: Theodore
H. Ward, 1890, 1900, 1901 ; Robert S. Rudd, 1891 ;
James C. Beach, 1892-1893; William Ford Upson,
1894 ; G. Lee Stout, 1895-1899. Councilmen-at-large,
acting as chairmen, have been : George Peterson, 1902-
1903 ; George Fisher, 1904.



74 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW

The mayors have been as follows : George Fisher,
1905-1906; Wilham P. Sutphen, 1907-1910; WiUiam
Hauser, 1911-1912.

The following others were members of the town com-
mittee or town council at various times from 1872 to
1912: Samuel J. Potter, Phineas J. Ward, Joseph A.
Davis, John Sherman, Samuel Benson, Abram Year-
ance, Joseph F. Sanxay, Christopher T. Unangst,
Willard Richards, Cornelius Van Houten, Thomas
Oakes, J. Banks Reford, Thomas E. Hayes, William
F. Freeman, James W. Baldwin, Wesle}"- B. Corby,
John G. Keyler, Wilham K. Williamson, Alfred Cocke-
fair, Samuel Carl, Lewis Cockefair, Reuben N. Dodd,
Stanford Farrand, Peter S. Cadmus, Henry K. Benson,
N. H. Dodd, M. A. Dailey, James Carter, Wilham A.
Baldwin, Frank S. Benson, Walter S. Freeman, George
W. Cook, Charles L. Seibert, A. T. Van Gieson, Edwin
A. Rayner, Seymour P. Gilbert, Charles H. Halfpenny,
Martin Hummel, A. J. Lockwood, Charles W. Powers,
Benjamin Haskell, John Lawrence, Frank Foster,
Thomas H. Albinson, James H. Moore, Richard K.
Schuyler, James M. Walker, George M. Wood, James
J. Thompson, John R. Conlan, Wilber M. Brokaw,
Herbert C. Farrand, W. F. Harrison, William Douglas
Moore, Charles W. Chabot, Charles J. Murray, Jesse
C. Green, William B. Hepburn, Frederic M. Davis,
August Fredericks, Jr., George Hummel, James C.
Brown, Lewis B. Harrison, Frederick Sadler, Henry
Albinson, Frank N. Unangst.

In 1883, owing to the many fires in and around
Bloomfield Center, it was deemed necessary to have some
regular fire protection, and in that year Essex Hook
and Ladder Company No. 1 was organized. The fire



BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 75

truck arrived in Bloomfield on August 10, 1883, and an
all day celebration took place, including a street parade
and baseball games.

The following year (1884) Phoenix Hose Company
No. 1 was organized, and early in 1885 Active Hose
Company No. 2 was established. At a meeting, held
June 10, 1885, the Township Committee officially rec-
ognized these fire companies, accepted their services,
and assumed jurisdiction over the Bloomfield Fire De-
partment and members thereof.

In 1884 a system of water pipes was laid throughout
the more densely populated sections of the township,
and connected with the Orange Water Works. Water
was sold to the inhabitants by the Orange Water Com-
pany.

Gas pipes were laid in the principal streets in 1873
by the Montclair Gas and Water Company, and this
method of lighting the town continued until 1896, when
a fifteen year franchise was granted to the Suburban
Electric Light and Power Company for furnishing
electric light.

The sewer system was installed in 1893, at which time
a contract was signed with Orange providing for the
joint use of a Union Outlet Sewer. This agreement is
still in force, and furnishes one of the complications in
Bloomfield's consideration of the Passaic Valley Sewer
project. The laying of the original sewer system
necessitated a $50,000 bond issue, and extensions have
been made from time to time as occasion demands.
Altogether bonds have been issued to the amount of
$100,000 for sewer purposes, many of which have been
retired.

On the 23d day of February, 1900, the New Jersey



76 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW

Legislature passed an act incorporating the Town of
Bloomfield which changed the form of government from
a township to a town. Accordingly the then Township
Committee reorganized as the Town Council on Febru-
ary 26, 1900, and since that date Bloomfield has been
governed by the provisions of the Town Act of 1895,
which is entitled "An Act providing for the formation,
establishment and government of towns," adopted
March 7, 1895.

After much debate by the inhabitants of the town,
the water system, including all pipes, mains, fixtures,
etc., was purchased in 1904 from the Orange Water
Company at a cost of $90,000. The price originally
asked was $150,000, but the Council succeeded in driv-
ing a more advantageous bargain.

The Montclair Water Company, a subsidiary of the
East Jersey Water Company, now supplies the town
with water under a contract which expires May 1,
1925.

The contract for lighting the streets of the town
expired in 1911, and in November of that year a new
agreement was entered into with the Public Service
Lighting Company providing for arc lamps and
incandescent lights to be supplied in such streets
and locations as the Council may from time to time
designate. This contract is effective until March 1,
1917.

The governing body of the town has each year found
problems more difficult to dispose of, and more numer-
ous than those of former years. Such problems are,
however, treated of in other pages.

The elections as conducted at the present time are
not the social gatherings that were those of sixty, or



BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 77

even thirty, years ago, and it is safe to predict that the
next hundred years will see even greater changes.

The officials of Bloorafield for the present year (1912)
are as follows : Mayor, William Hauser ; Clerk, Ray-
mond F. Davis ; Councilmen, Charles J, Murray, Lewis
B. Harrison, George Hummel, Frederick Sadler, Henry
Albinson, Frank N. Unangst ; Collector, Frank Foster ;
Treasurer, Harry L. Osborne ; Attorney, Charles F.
Kocher ; Overseer of Poor, Adam Lind ; Physician, John
D. Moore, M.D. ; Superintendent Public Works, Fred
B. Stimis ; Superintendent Water Department, William
R. Rawson; Superintendent Fire Alarm Telegraph,
A. F. Olsen ; Engineer, Ernest Baechlin ; Chief Fire
Department, Bernard F. Higgins ; Chief of Police,
Lewis M. Collins ; Recorder, George W. Cadmus ;
Building Inspector, George M. Cadmus ; Board of As-
sessors, George B. Milliken, Chairman, William R.
Raab, Clerk, Robert D. Rawson ; Board of Health,
James J. Thompson, President, Jacob S. Wolfe, M.D.,
Seymour P. Gilbert, William A. Ritscher, Jr., Joseph
T. Charles, Joseph C. Saile, M.D., Secretary, Registrar
of Vital Statistics, and Health Inspector.



THE SCHOOLS AND SCHOOLMASTERS

By William A. Baldwin

The families of the early settlers from Branford and
Milford, who in 1666 formed the Newark Colony upon
the banks of the Passaic River, brought with them not
only a deep religious feeling, but also a strong desire
for the education of their children.

In 1676 the town meeting of Newark authorized the
townmen to find a competent number of scholars and
accommodations for a schoolmaster. Again, in 1693
and 1695, two acts for establishing schoolmasters were
passed. Under these acts schoolmasters were em-
ployed, but there is no mention of a school-house until
1714, when it was voted at a town meeting that "ye
old floor of ye meeting-house should be made use of
for ye making a floor in ye School house in the middle
of ye Town." This school-house was probably built
soon after the passage of the above acts for establish-
ing schools. So much of the history of the Newark
Colony is given because Bloomfield was at that time an
outlying section of the Town of Newark, and subject
to the same government. The outlying settlements soon
after 1700 no doubt developed some form of instruc-
tion independent of the incipient schools of Newark
village.

The first authentic record of a school-house in
Bloomfield is on the foundation stone of the Watsessing
Hill school-house which announces that the original
building was erected in 1758, and its addition on the
east side in 1782. Both parts were built of stone. It

78



BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 79

remained standing till 1852, when it made place for the
house of Jay L. Adams. Its location was near the
corner of Franklin Street and Willard Avenue. Like
all schools of the time it must have been small, perhaps
15 feet by 25 feet in size, poorly heated, and furnished
with low benches and cheap desks ; nor was it free to
all, but only to those who could afford to pay the small
tuition fee required.

Before its destruction the Baptist congregation, then
forming, used this school building for a temporary
meeting place. The corner-stone, long preserved by the
late Joseph B. Maxfield, with its dates 1758 for the
original structure and 1782 for the extension, is now
preserved in the interior foundation wall of the new
(1911) Baptist Church. The inscription on the stone
is hke this: "The West End of This House Built in
1758, The East End in the Year 1782."

The school bell, which hung on the top and near the
rear end of this building, is now in the old high school,
having been presented by the late William Cadmus. It
is not improbable, in fact it is a persistent tradition,
that, like the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, it rang out
its peal for liberty when the news was brought that the
Declaration of Independence had been signed. A dif-
ferent account, stating that the bell was later used to
announce the approach of trains at the old Newark
and Bloomfield, now the Delaware, Lackawanna and
Western Railroad depot, and afterward found an hon-
ored place in the belfry of the Episcopal Church, is
erroneous. The bell used at the railroad and in the
Episcopal Church was gotten by a Mr. Smith from the
burned tug Isaac Newton.

At some time long before 1780, Thomas Davis gave



80 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW

a quarter acre of land for a school-house site "near
the home of Captain John Ogden," near the present
corner of Franklin and Montgomery streets. But in


1 2 3 5 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Online LibraryJoseph F. (Joseph Fulford) FolsomBloomfield, old and new; an historical symposium → online text (page 5 of 13)