school purposes, and for all forms of present-day
The following Is a list of the pastors from 1832 to
124. BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW
1912: The Rev. Messrs. Benjamin Day, Walter Bur-
rows, Isaac N. Felch, J. I. Morrow, G. K. Snyder,
D. F. Reed, John Scarlett, W. W. Voorhees, S. H.
Opdyke, George Winson, John S. Swain, A. S. Comp-
ton, J. R. Adams, Stacy W. Hilliard, Stephen L. Bald-
win, Henry Spellmeyer, E. W. Burr, W. L. Hoagland,
Richard Harcourt, Daniel R. Lowrie, Albert Mann, Jr.,
J. A. Monroe, R. B. Collins, R. M. Aylsworth, J. G.
Johnston, C. S. Woodruff, Jesse Lyman Hurlbut, Na-
thaniel Brooks, and John Ogden Winner.
The First Baptist Church occupies the corner of
Franklin and Washington streets, and the organization
dates from November 25, 1851. The present building
was erected in 1911, and its Sabbath-school building in
1891. Rev. John D. Meeson was the first pastor. He
has been succeeded by Rev. James H. Pratt, Rev. Henry
F. Smith, Rev. W. F. Stubbert, D.D., Rev. Ezra D.
Simons, Rev. Charles A. Cook, Rev. Fred W. Buis, and
Rev. Henry S. Potter, S.T.D. The present pastor,
Dr. Potter, was installed June 1, 1907. The present
membership of the church is 565, while the Sunday-
school, the largest in town, has an enrollment, including
the Home Department and Cradle Roll, of 865.
The Silver Lake Chapel, in which services had been
conducted by the First Baptist Church for several
years, was recently burned, but will soon be rebuilt in
another location. It is worthy of note that the church
was organized with a constituent membership of thir-
teen, and none of them wealthy ; yet they immediately
purchased the large corner lot and built what was then
a line brick structure, and dedicated it free of debt
within nineteen months. The present parsonage was
purchased in 1907. In 1903 the W. C. T. U. Hall
BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 125
adjoining the church property was purchased and at
a considerable expense fitted up for use as a hall for
the Primary Department of the Bible School.
In 1910 the stately old brick building that had stood
on that prominent site for nearly sixty years was
razed, and in its place a larger modem building was
erected, constructed of West Townsend (Mass.) granite,
at an outlay, including furnishings, of over seventy
thousand dollars. Worthy of special note is the large
modem "Memorial" organ with twenty-six speaking
registers. The property of the church is valued at
In 1901 the church celebrated its fiftieth anniversary
with elaborate festivities, and issued a beautiful volume
illustrating the progress of a half century.
Mr. Frank B. Stone, superintendent of the Bible
School, has filled that office for thirty years.
The spirit of this church in relation to country and
community is shown by the fact that out of sixty male
members at the outbreak of the Civil War, twenty en-
tered the United States Army.
The German Presbyterian Church, situated on
Park Avenue, and of which the Rev. Remi J. Butting-
hausen is pastor, was organized January 1, 1855. The
present building was erected in 1895. The church's
half-century and more of history may be summarized
as follows :
On the first day of January, 1857, a group of thirty-
seven Christian men and women of German birth gath-
ered at the chapel of the First Presbyterian Church of
Bloomfield to be organized into a church in accordance
with the principles and doctrines of the Presbyterian
Church, and to be known as the German Presbyterian
126 BLOO^IFIELD, OLD AND NEW
Church of Bloomfield, N. J. Of the thirty-seven origi-
nal members, all but three have departed this life. Those
still living and connected with the church are Jacob
FornofF, Henry Bickler and Elizabeth Metz.
For a number of years the little flock met at the
chapel of the First Presbyterian Church, whose pastor,
the Rev. Dr. Sherwood, took a very warm interest in the
During this time the church had no regular pastor,
the pulpit being suppHed by the Rev. Mr. Thebrath of
Newark, N. J., and Christian Wisner, a student at the
Union Theological Seminary of New York. On the
29th day of April, 1864<, Mr. Wisner was ordained to
the Christian ministry and installed as the first regular
pastor of the church. In the following year the first
church building was erected at a cost of .$4,600.
The Rev. Mr. Wisner remained but a few years as
pastor of the church, and his work was continued by the
Rev. John Enslin, who, after serving the church faith-
fully for twenty-two years, departed this life on the
12th day of April, 1890. During his ministry the par-
sonage was erected.
In the fall of the year 1890, the Rev. Henry Seibert,
D.D., was installed as pastor of the church. In 1895
the present house of worship was built.
In 1899 Dr. Seibert accepted the call extended to
him by the First German Presbyterian Church of New-
ark, N. J. The pastoral work of the Bloomfield church
was then entrusted to the late Rev. Otto Zesch, D.D.,
who served it from 1899 to 1902. Since the spring of
1903 the Rev. R. J. Buttinghausen has been the pastor.
The church has a membership of 210. There are
250 scholars and teachers connected with the Sunday-
BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 127
school, of which Mr. Carl Seibert is the superin-
Christ (Episcopal) Church in Bloomfield and Glen
Ridge stands on the dividing hne between those two
municipalities, on the corner of Bloomfield and Park
avenues. The organization dates from 1858, when a
number of English families living in the town of Bloom-
field, which at that time included Glen Ridge and Mont-
clair (known as West Bloomfield), requested Rev. Henry
Beers Sherman, then rector of Christ Church, Belle-
ville, to conduct services for them after the order of the
Church of England. The services were at first held in
a private house on Franklin Street, then in a public
house known as Archdeacon's Hotel, and later in an
upper room known as Union Hall on the northwest cor-
ner of Washington and Glenwood avenues.
The parish organization was formed October 4, 1858,
and Rev. Henry Marsh was chosen the first rector.
The first church edifice was erected on Liberty Street,
and consecrated June 23, 1861. This, together with the
adjoining parish house, was destroyed by fire on the
night of January 11, 1893. Meantime a movement
looking toward the establishment of a new parish in
Glen Ridge had resulted in the formation of a society
called the St. Mark's Society. This Society united with
Christ Church after the fire, and the present site was
chosen for the new church as more convenient for min-
istering to the needs of the greatly enlarged parish
overlapping both towns.
The cost of the new church and parish house, includ-
ing organ, furniture, etc., was approximately $40,000,
which, however, does not represent the actual value of
the buildings, even at the time of erection. The interior
128 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW
stone was the last stone quarried from the Glen Ridge
quarry on Bloomfield Avenue, on the spot since filled in
and now used as the playground of the Glen Ridge
Public School. The exterior stone was the first taken
from a quarry at Pompton. The rectory adjoining the
church was completed in October, 1905.
St. Luke's Church, Montclair, is the outgrowth of a
Mission started during the rectorship of Rev. Mr.
]\Iarsh in Bloomfield, and is the eldest of four daughters
of Christ Church. A Sunday-school started in Frank-
lin, while Dr. Carter was rector here, has since developed
into the parish of Grace Church, Nutley. The Chapel
erected in Watsessing during the same period was the
beginning of the new parish of St. Paul's Church, East
Orange. A Mission on Montgomery Avenue, started by
Christ Church in 1901, has since become the Church of
The list of rectors of Christ Church is as follows:
Rev. Henry Marsh 1860-1863
Rev. Charles Ritter 1863-1864
Rev. William A. W. Maybin 1864-1865
Rev. Albert Zabriskie Gray 1865-1868
Rev. William H. Carter, D.D 1869-1872
Rev. T. Jefferson Danner 1872-1877
Rev. William G. Farrington, D.D 1877-1889
Rev. Robert S. Carlin 1889-1891
Rev. Edward Augustine White, D.C.L.,
Elected January 11, 1892
The main growth of Christ Church thus far has taken
place during the rectorship of Dr. White, the twentieth
anniversary of whose installation was celebrated in Jan-
uary, 1912. Dr. White is also a recognized authority
BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 129
on canon law in the Protestant Episcopal Church. The
present communicant membership of the church is about
700, and that of the Sunday-school, 250. Rev. George
G. Daland is Curate and Choirmaster-organist. The
wardens are Messrs. Thaddeus S. Genin and William H.
Sayre. The Reception Committee, of which Mr. Talbot
Root is president, is one of the strongest and most effec-
tive organizations of men in the Diocese of Newark.
The Westminster Presbyterian Church, which
occupies a group of handsome buildings on Franklin
and Fremont streets, was originally made up of a colony
from "the Old First Church." Increased membership
and lack of adequate accommodation were the reasons
leading to the establishment of the new organization,
and Rev. Charles E. Knox, D.D., then pastor of the old
church, earnestly used his influence in its favor.
The movement was initiated at a meeting held on
June 25, 1869, when fifty-one persons signified their
intention of becoming identified with the new enter-
prise. The first service was held on July 11, 1869, in
the Academy (now the German Theological School),
with eighty-two persons present, and Dr. Knox preach-
ing the sermon. Eucleian Hall, at the comer of Wash-
ington and Glenwood avenues, was afterward secured
as a meeting-place, and Rev. Duncan Kennedy, D.D.,
of Troy, N. Y., was engaged as stated supply. The
new organization was formally constituted by Presby-
tery into a church on January 7, 1870, with sixty-seven
The first officers of the church elected were Moses
M. Bradley and Coll J. Turner, elders ; Robert J.
Beach and Frederick Crane, deacons. The first board
of trustees, chosen at a meeting of the parish January
130 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW
21st, was composed of Rev. J. D. Gallagher, Daniel
H. Temple, Harry E. Richards, Jason Crane, Phineas
J. Ward and Edward A. Bliss.
On May 27, 1870, Rev. Duncan Kennedy, D.D., was
called to become the first pastor of the church. A
chapel was erected on Fremont Street, and the installa-
tion and dedicatory services were both held on Septem-
ber 30, 1870. Dr. Kennedy resigned in 1881 owing
to the infirmities of age, and was succeeded in 1882 by
Rev. Samuel W. DufBeld, who died in the harness on
May 12, 1887. Mr. Duffield was a man of literary
ability, an authority on hymnology, and the author of
two volumes on English Hymns and Latin Hymns.
Rev. George A. Paull, D.D., followed in a pastorate
extending over eighteen years, a period of steady growth
and large expansion for the church. Rev. William T.
Wilcox, D.D., the present pastor, was installed on May
The new church building was dedicated April 12,
1892. The chapel, after having been partially de-
stroyed by fire and rebuilt, was removed in 1901 to the
corner of Liberty Street and Austin Place, and is now
used for worship by St. John's German Lutheran
Church. The beautiful Jarvie Memorial, of brown
stone, with its spacious hall, parlors, gymnasium, etc.,
was erected in 1902 by James N. Jarvie in memory of
his parents, and presented to the church of which they
had been among the original members. This building
also houses the Jarvie Memorial Public Library, con-
taining some 14,000 well-selected volumes on all sub-
jects, and with commodious reading-rooms and all the
appliances of a thoroughly modern reference and cir-
culating library. In completeness and elegance of
BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 131
equipment this church is now probably without a su-
perior in the State.
Twenty-one famiHes withdrew in 1888-9 to form the
Glen Ridge Congregational Church ; but the migration
reduced the membership only temporarily. The present
membership of the church is about 605, and of the
Montgomery Chapel, located just across the Belle-
ville line, is maintained by Westminster Church. It is
the result of Sunday-school work that began with a
school under the care of Erasmus D. Willes, April 23,
1826. The sessions of the school were held at the
Quarries, and only during the summer months.
The superintendents since that time have been
J. Vants, Gilbert Combs, Isaac N. Dodd, Elias Osborne,
L. W. Hones, Miss Jennie A. Osborne, Richard Handy,
and W. S. Phraner. Mr. Phraner took charge of the
school September 15, 1891. At that time the place of
meeting was the old school-house situated on Mont-
gomery Street, in the Soho section of Belleville. In
October, 1895, the present chapel was started, and was
completed and dedicated March 15, 1896. Since that
time a primary-room, library, gymnasium, bowling
alleys, pipe-organ and other conveniences have been
gradually added. The present enrollment of the school
is 205. The Sabbath-school meets on Sunday after-
noons at 3.15. A preaching service is also held every
Sabbath evening at 8 o'clock. The building is open
through the week, and is used and appreciated by those
who live in that neighborhood.
Although non-sectarian,, the school depends almost
entirely for its support on Westminster Church. The
property, estimated at $14,000, is held under a deed of
132 BLOOMFDELD, OLD AND NEW
trust by three trustees, Frederick Crane, Joseph M.
Williams, and W. S. Phraner.
The Watsessing Methodist Episcopai, Church is
situated on Lawrence Street, corner of Dodd Street,
East Orange, in the heart of the section originally
known as Wardsesson. It was organized in 1871, and
Rev. W. B. Rulison was the first pastor. Andrew EUor
and his wife, Ann Ellor, were the prime movers in the
organization of the church, under the supervision of
Rev. Stephen L. Baldwin, then pastor of the Park
Methodist Episcopal Church of Bloomfield. A Sunday-
school was organized in Butterworth's Hall about 1871.
Ebenezer E. Francis was its first superintendent, and
was succeeded by Andrew Ellor.
The first building, now known as the chapel, was
erected in the winter of 1871-2, and was opened in
February, 1872. During the pastorate of Rev. C. C.
Winans the present church edifice was built in the winter
of 1894-5, and was opened in May, 1895.
The list of pastors in the history of the church thus
far is as follows: Rev. Messrs. W. B. Rulison, H. W.
Byrnes, A. H. Brown, E. N. Crasto, L. F. Burgess,
H. J. Hayter, J. Cowins, J. H. Egbert, E. H. Clement,
C. C. Winans, W. J. Keatley, J. O. Foster (supply),
F. H. Knight, P. S. Blight, S. T. Jackson, J. William
Ryder, and Berryman H. McCoy.
The Rev. Berryman H. McCoy, the present pastor,
was installed in April, 1912. The chapel was remodelled
in the winter of 1909-10. The present member-
ship of the church is 300, and of the Sunday-school,
The Church or the Sacred Heart stands on the
corner of Broad and Liberty streets, near the south-
BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 133
west comer of the Green, and its stately tower, 160 feet
in height, is a conspicuous feature of the town. It is
the loftiest landmark of this vicinity.
The Roman Catholics of Bloomfield originally formed
part of the Immaculate Conception Parish of Mont-
clair. In response to many petitions Bishop Corrigan,
the late Archbishop of New York, at length ordered the
formation of a new parish, and the Rev. Joseph M.
Nardiello of Newark was appointed to take charge June
21, 1878. The Parish of the Sacred Heart was in-
corporated July 1, 1878, the lay trustees being Francis
O'Brien and Edward Quinn. The latter dying seven
months later, John McGrath was appointed in his place
and served with Mr. O'Brien for many years.
Mass was at first celebrated in a hall in the Bloom-
field Hotel: but the basement of a frame church on
Bloomfield Avenue was completed and ready for occu-
pancy by September 21st of the same year.
The first parochial school was erected June 4, 1882:
the large primary school in July, 1902.
The corner-stone of the present church edifice facing
the Park was laid on October 19, 1890, and it was com-
pleted just two years later, October 18, 1892. It is of
mottled brick with terra-cotta and stone trimmings.
The seating capacity is 800. The main altar, of Car-
rara marble, was the gift of the rector, and the me-
morial windows were presented by parishioners and
friends. The consecration of the church by Archbishop,
now Cardinal Satolli, took place with great ceremony
on October 21, 1894.
The cemetery of Mt. Olivet was laid out in 1883,
and its chapel erected in 1901. There is a Convent of
Sisters and a Club-house for the use of the Young Men's
134. BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW
Catholic Lyceum connected with the church, besides the
large parochial schools.
The Rev. Joseph M. Nardiello, the first rector of the
new parish of Bloomfield, has continued in office ever
since its organization, and to his energy its growth and
prosperity are largely due. In 1902 he was made an
Irremovable Rector. The silver jubilee of the organiza-
tion of the church of the Sacred Heart, and of the pas-
torate of Rev. J. M. Nardiello, was celebrated in 1903.
John J. Murray and Michael N. Higgins are the pres-
ent lay trustees.
The present communicant membership of the church
is about 2,000, and there are 586 in the Sunday-school.
The Glen Ridge Congregational Church, located
on Ridgewood Avenue, corner of Clark Street, Glen
Ridge, rightly has a place in this record, inasmuch as
its organization antedates the separation of the two
towns. A majority of the families of its original mem-
bers came from the Westminster Church of Bloomfield,
and the church is still included in the Bloomfield Evan-
Its origin was due to the need felt by some of the
residents of Glen Ridge for church accommodations
nearer than those of Bloomfield. Evening services were
at first held in the Glen Ridge station of the Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western Railroad by the courtesy of
the company, beginning on January 22, 1888. Regu-
lar morning and evening services were opened on Sun-
day morning, March 11th, when the sermon was
preached by Rev. Charles E. Knox, D.D., of Bloom-
field. Its organization was effected on April 8, 1888,
by a Congregational Council called for the purpose,
forty-three persons uniting to form the Glen Ridge
BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 135
Congregational Church. Ira Campbell, Marius G. Bel-
loni and Arthur J. Lockwood were elected the first dea-
cons of the new church. Rev. Frank J. Goodwin was
called later to the pastorate, in which he was installed
October 10, 1888, at a service held in the First Presby-
terian Church of Bloomfield, Rev. R. S. Storrs, D.D.,
of Brooklyn, preaching the sermon. Members of the
family of the late Rev. Joseph S. Gallagher, desiring
to further the cause of Christ in the community, and to
erect a suitable memorial to Mr. Gallagher, soon pre-
sented the beautifully situated piece of property upon
which the grey stone church was erected. The donors
were Mrs. Susan C. Gallagher, Miss Martha C. Galla-
gher, and Mr. and Mrs. Joseph D. Gallagher.
The first service was held in the new building on June
29, 1890 ; but the dedicatory service was not held until
October 28, 1890. The edifice was re-built and greatly
enlarged in 1902, and is now admirably adapted to serve
the religious needs of the growing neighborhood to
which it ministers.
Rev. Frank J. Goodwin, the first pastor, was suc-
ceeded after eleven j'^ears, in 1899, by Rev. Elliott Wil-
bur Brown, D.D., whose pastorate lasted ten years.
Rev. Clarence Hall Wilson, D.D., the third and present
pastor, was installed December 10, 1909.
The present membership of the church is 461, and of
the Sunday-school, 296.
The Brookdale Baptist Church, situated in what
was originally known as Stone House Plains, was first
organized as a Methodist Church in 18T3, and the pres-
ent building was erected in 1874. For eighteen years
the church was without a pastor. In 1893 Henry Hep-
burn bought the church, and under Rev. Charles C.
136 BLOOI^IFIELD, OLD AND NEW
Cook, at that time pastor of the First Baptist Church
of Bloomfield, it was organized as a mission of that
church. The Ust of pastors has been as follows:
Rev. S. L. Harter 1894-1896
Rev. W. N. Hubbel 1897-1898
Rev. Henry Brittain 1899-1908
The Rev. Norman P. Smith, the present pastor, was
installed in August, 1908. The present member-
ship of the church is 62, and of the Sunday-school,
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, situ-
ated on the comer of Liberty Street and Austin Place,
was organized in 1896, and its present building was
erected in 1901. The Rev. Mr. Ebendick, of Rich-
field, N. J., started the Lutheran services in Bloom-
field in a hall in the Centre in 1895, preaching every
Sunday afternoon. After the installation of Pastor
Heyd the congregation erected a chapel in 1896 on
the present location of the church. In 1901 the present
church building was purchased from the Westminster
Presbyterian Church and moved to Liberty Street and
Austin Place, and the chapel was moved to the rear of
the lot and joined to it, and is now used as a Sunday-
school room. The church is now in the transition
period from German to English. Most of the work in
the Sunday-school is done in English, and regular Eng-
lish services are also held. The church and the Sunday-
school are increasing steadily in membership through
new families moving to Bloomfield from Greater New
York and other nearby cities. A very active Ladies'
Society, and a Young People's Society, are important
factors in the growth of the church.
BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW 137
The following has' been the ministerial succession:
Rev. Albert Heyd 1896-1899
Rev. J. George F. Blaesi 1899-1900
Rev. J. Schulz 1900-1902
Rev. C. Ziegelbrier 1902-1903
Rev. H. A. Steininger 1903-1906
Rev. Fr. Noeldeke 1906-1908
Rev. C. H. Franke, the present pastor, was installed
October 4, 1908. The present membership of the
church is 275, and of the Sunday-school, 86. A Ger-
man school is held every Saturday morning from 10 to
12 o'clock, in which German, Bible history and the
catechism are taught.
St. Valentine's Roman Catholic Church, situated
at Franklin Avenue, corner of Plane Street, ministers
to the large Polish population at the north end of the
town. The church was organized February 16, 1899,
and the present building was erected in 1905. The cor-
ner-stone was laid on August 20th of that year by
Rt. Rev. John J. O'Connor, Bishop of Newark, and
on May 30, 1906, the new church was dedicated bj^ the
same bishop. The Rev. Constantine Zahnski, the first
rector, was succeeded by Rev. John Adamowski, and
Rev. Thadaeus Stankiewicz. The present rector is Rev.
John A. Ivanow.
The present membership of the church is given as
1,010, and of the Sunday-school as 80. There is also
a parochial school in connection with the church.
The Church of the Ascension, at the comer of
Montgomery Street and Berkeley Avenue, of which the
Rev. W. T. Lipton is rector, is the latest accession to
the churches of Bloomfield. It was organized as a
138 BLOOMFIELD, OLD AND NEW
parochial mission of Christ Church, under the rector-
ship of the Rev. E. A. White, in the spring of 1901,
and placed in charge of Colonel Wilson Vance, a lay
reader. Services were held for a year and a half in a
vacant store on the corner of Montgomery and Orchard
In January, 1902, a lot on the corner of Montgomery
and Berkeley avenues was purchased and paid for by the
people associated with the chapel. The present church
building was erected during that year, and the opening
service was held on December 21st. In 1909 the status
of the Church of the Ascension was changed from that
of a parochial to that of an organized mission of the
diocese. In January, 1910, the lot adjoining the
church property was purchased and paid for.
Colonel Vance resigned in the autumn of 1902. He
was succeeded by the Rev. L. R. Levering, who had
charge until April, 1905. He was followed by the Rev.
R. W. E. Merington, who resigned in June, 1906. The
Rev, H. P. Scratchley then took charge. He resigned
in December, 1908, and was succeeded by the Rev. W. T.
Lipton, who became the first rector when the mission
was organized and incorporated as a parish in April,
There are 110 communicants and 375 members. There