Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 14 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 14 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

mouth, 11 September, 1811 ; died in Plymouth, of typhus
fever, 6 September, 1833 ; unmarried. Francis Henry Silsbee,
who studied law, and subsequently became a bank-officer, son of
Zachariah F. and Sarah (Boardman) Silsbee, born in Salem,
6 September, 1811 ; died of marasmus, in Salem, 19 Novem
ber, 1848 ; unmarried. William Hammatt Simmons, a teacher
of elocution, and law-student, son of Judge William and Pris-
cilla (Hammatt) Simmons, born in Boston, 11 May, 1812 ;
married at Roxbury, 24 June, 1840, Josephine Matilda Fel-
lowes, daughter of Nathaniel and Aglaie (de Chambellan)
Fellowes ; died of fever, in Boston, 10 August, 1841. Henry
Cheever Simonds, a lawyer, son of Shepherd and Joanna Thayer
(Gool) Simonds, born in Boston, 3 June, 1810 ; died in
Charlestown, of disease of the brain, 3 April, 1840 ; unmarried.
Charles Henry Tilghman, a planter, son of William G. Tilgh-
man, of Talbot County, Md. ; died in Talbot County, Md., 18
September, 1842 ; unmarried. Abner Bennett Wheeler, a phy
sician, son of Abner and Mary (Swift) Wheeler, born in Fra-
mingham, 2 February, 1812 ; married at Boston, 26 October,
1836, Caroline Harris Summer ; died at Somerville, of dis
ease of the brain, 8 December, 1847. Alexander Whitney,
a school-teacher, son of Nathaniel Ruggles and Sally (Stone)
Whitney, born in Watertown, 12 March, 1810; died of con-

1856-57.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 147

sumption, in East Cambridge, 13 May, 1842 ; unmarried.
Samuel Wiggles worth, a physician, son of Thomas and Jane
(Norton) Wigglesworth, born in Boston, 16 December, 1811 ;
married at Boston, 7 December, 1841, Louisa G. Davenport,
daughter of Isaac and Mary Davenport ; died of disease of the
spine, 7 April, 1847, at Boston. Frederick Wright, a lawyer,
son of Theodore and Mary (Dickinson) Wright, born in North
ampton, 6 July, 1811 ; married at Willoughby, O., 10 Novem
ber, 1841, Helen Irene Wilson, daughter of Samuel Wilson;
died in Manhattan, O., 10 April, 1846. Hartley Hezekiah
Wright, a lawyer, son of Hezekiah and Charlotte (Sewall)
Wright, born in Boston, 22 December, 1812 ; died in Boston,
8 March, 1840 ; unmarried.

1833. FREDERICK PARKER died in Lowell, Mass., 29
January, 1857, aged 43. He was son of Joseph and Olive
(Bailey) Parker, and was born in Carlisle, Mass., 2 September,
1813. He was fitted for college in the adjoining towns. After
graduating, he taught school in Gloucester and Billerica, Mass.,
and in Hallowell, Me. In the autumn of 1838, he began the
study of law with Hon. Samuel Wells, of Hallowell. In Sep
tember, 1839, he entered the Law School at Cambridge, where
he completed his legal studies, and received the degree of LL.B.
in 1841. He then established himself in Lowell. After spend
ing a short time in the office of Joel Adams, Esq., of that city
(II. C. 1805), he was admitted to the bar. In October, 1844,
he married Harriet M. Kimball. In 1845, he experienced
a long and severe illness, the effects of which never left him ;
and, from that time forward, he was forced to struggle with ill
health. In the same year he was chosen one of the school com
mittee, and held that office during four successive years. The
cause of education always interested him ; and, during his term of
office, he suggested several important changes in the arrangements
of the Lowell schools. In 1849, he was instrumental in forming
the Howard Fire-insurance Company, of which, for several
years, he was secretary and treasurer. In 1852, he opened a
book and print store in Lowell, and, soon afterwards, another
in Boston. The former was soon closed, and he devoted his


energies to the latter. In this employment he manifested great
taste and enterprise. In the summer of 1856, his health failed ;
and he gave up his interest in his business in Boston, and retired
to Lowell. In the autumn of that year, he had repeated attacks
of hemorrhages, and died of consumption. He kept up his lite
rary tastes in a greater degree than is usual with men of busi
ness. In character he was grave and earnest. He encountered
reverses ; but maintained, through them all, unsullied integrity.
No misfortune had power to diminish the energy of his spirit, or
to mar his Christian temper.

dall, 111., 27 March, 1857, aged 41. He was son of Capt.
William P. and Deborah (Lang) Richardson, and was born in
Salem, Mass., 15 August, 1815. He w r as fitted for college at
the Latin School in Salem. He studied medicine with Dr.
Abel Lawrence Peirson, of Salem (H.C. 1812) ; and in 1837
received the degree of M.D., when he entered upon the practice
of his profession in Salem, where he continued until 1846, when
he removed to Kendall. There he was chiefly engaged in horti
cultural and agricultural pursuits, for which his fine tastes, and
love of natural history, peculiarly fitted him. While in Salem,
he was an active and useful citizen, interested in whatever
tended to elevate and improve the community. He was a valu
able member of the school-committee, and a pattern and co-
worker in various public institutions. He was unmarried.

1837. GALES SEATON died in Washington, D.C., 9
February, 1857, aged 39. He was son of William W.
Seaton, and was born in Washington, 27 July, 1817. He
passed through his preparatory studies for admission into Har
vard College under the instruction of the faculty of Georgetown
College. On graduating, he selected the law as his profession ;
and repaired to the University of Virginia, where he prosecuted
his legal studies with assiduity and success. He was admitted
to the bar, but was not long in discovering that he had given
his nights and his days to the study of that, as a science, which
his mental habitudes and literary tastes rendered distasteful as a
pursuit ; and, abandoning the profession of the law, he became

1856-57.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 149

the proprietor and editor of the Raleigh (N.C.) "Register," in
which station he continued several years. He afterwards went
to Europe, where he resided some time. While there, he was
intrusted by the administration of President Taylor with a
confidential commission, which he discharged in a manner highly
creditable to himself, and satisfactory to the Secretary of State,
the late John M. Clayton. Of polished manners and com
manding presence, without fear and without reproach, shrinking
instinctively from all that was base in act or indecorous in
thought and word^ he was, in all respects, a true gentleman. In
every relation of life, he was remarkable for a singular combina
tion of modesty and self-reliance. To the inevitable ills of life
he opposed the firmness of manhood with the submission enjoined
by Christianity ; and, amid the consolations and hopes of the
latter, his mortal life slowly and calmly ebbed away, until
the waiting spirit dropped the tabernacle of the flesh to take on
the robes of immortality.

1838. CHARLES DELANO BOWMAN died in Oxford, Mass.,
19 January, 1857, aged 40. He w^as the youngest son of
Joseph and Sally (Penniman) Bowman, and was born in New
Braintree, Mass., 12 December, 1816. He pursued his prepara
tory studies at Leicester Academy, and entered Amherst College,
where he remained one year, and then entered Harvard. After
leaving college, he went to Georgia, where he was instructor in
private schools and families, about three years, at Richmond Fac
tory, Richmond County, at Athens, and at Augusta. In 1842,
he entered the office of Hon. Emory Washburn (W.C. 1817),
at Worcester, Mass., as a student-at-law. In March, 1845,
he was admitted to the bar ; and began practice in Oxford,
22 April, 1845, where he continued to reside until his decease.
He had, considering his experience, a good knowledge of law ;
was a man of more than ordinary promise, and of considerable
literary taste. He had a valuable legal and miscellaneous
library. The legal part he gave to the Worcester-County Law
yers Literary Association, and the other part to some literary
institution in Worcester.

He married, 24 November, 1846, Almira Louise Jones,


daughter of Elnathan and Almira (Jencks) Jones, of Enfield,

1838. WILLIAM ABIJAH WHITE died in Mihvaukie, Wis.,
10 October, 185(), aged 38. He was son of Abijah and Anne
Maria (Howard) White, and was born in Watertown, Mass.,
2 September, 1818. He was fitted for college at the school of
Rev. Samuel Kipley (H.C. 1804), of Waltham, Mass. Hav
ing chosen the profession of law, he, immediately after graduat
ing, entered the Law School in Cambridge, where he pursued his
professional studies for a year, and completed them in the office
of Messrs. Charles P. and Benjamin R. Curtis (H.C. 1811 and
1829) in Boston. He never, however, devoted himself to the
practice of his profession ; but, becoming very much interested
in the antislavery and temperance movements, he devoted much
of his time to lecturing on these subjects, and, in 1843, spent
several months in travelling through Ohio and Indiana, holding
antislavery meetings in company with Frederick Douglass and
George Bradburn. In the course of this tour, their meetings
were frequently broken up by mobs ; and both White and Doug
lass were, on one occasion, severely wounded by stones. After
his return, he took a farm in Watertown, which he cultivated
until his father s death in 1845 ; for two or three years after
which, he was engaged in settling his estate. He then engaged
in manufacturing, and for some time edited a temperance news
paper in Boston. In 1853, he removed to Madison, Wis. The
circumstances of his death were peculiar. On the 7th of Octo
ber, 1856, he went from Madison to Milwaukie for the purpose
of attending the state fair. On the evening of the 8th, he went
to Chicago by steamboat, and returned to Milwaukie on the
evening of the 9th. On the morning of the 10th, he left the
hotel, intending to return in a few hours, and was recognized by
a person on the street shortly afterwards. From that time,
nothing was seen or heard of him, although every exertion was
made to find him, until the first day of May following, when his
body was found near the Lake Shore, above North Point, in Mil
waukie. It was so much decayed, that it was identified only by
the clothing, watch, and a peculiar watch-key. By what means

1856-57.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 151

he came to his death, remains a mystery. He married first,
7 May, 1846, Harriet T. Sturgis, daughter of Nathaniel It.
Sturgis, of Boston : she died 18 March, 1850. On the 15th
of May, 1855, he married Ada A. Buttcrfield, daughter of
Justin Butterfield, of Chicago, 111. His children were, by his
first wife, William Howard White, born 21 February, 1847 ;
Amy, born 25 September, 1848 : by his second wife, Justin
Sydney, born 19 April, 1856; died 5 February, 1857. Mr.
White possessed fine natural abilities. He was a fluent and im
pressive speaker, and wrote with ease and pungency. He had a
keen wit and a strong sense of humor, which frequently did him
good service in the hot debates in which he was engaged as an
antislavery and temperance orator. He was incapable of a mean
or selfish act ; and his first and only rule of action was to do
what was right, without regard to whether it was expedient. As
an eminently brave, sincere, and honest man, who earnestly
sought to do his duty, and to benefit his fellow-men at the cost
of much personal sacrifice to himself, he will long be remem
bered with affection and respect by an unusually extensive circle
of friends and acquaintances.

1842. Dr. HENRY WHITING died in Lowell, Mass.,
23 June, 1857, aged 35. He was son of Capt. Phineas
and Sarah (Coburn) Whiting, and was born in that part of
Chelmsford which is now Lowell, 19 February, 1822. He was
prepared for college partly in Lowell ; partly in Boston , under
the instruction of Mr. Tilly Brown Hayward (H.C. 1820) ;
and partly in Deny, N.H. He studied medicine with Dr. Oil
man Kimball, of Lowell ; Dr. Marshall S. Perry, of Boston ; at
Jefferson College, Penn. ; and at the Harvard Medical School.
He received the degree of M.D. at Jefferson College in 1845,
and immediately afterwards went to Paris, where he passed one
year in completing his professional studies ; and, in the succeed
ing year, travelled over various portions of the continent. On
his return, he began practice in the city of Lowell. He held a
good rank among the profession ; was of a frank, noble disposi
tion ; and was popular with all classes. He was never married.
During the last two years of his life, he was confined to the


house by sickness ; did not see any person except his nearest
relatives ; and, after this long and painful confinement, gladly
welcomed death as a relief from his sufferings.

1843. CHARLES FREDERICK ADAMS died in Boston,
30 December, 1856, aged 32. He was son of Charles Fred
erick and Caroline Hesselrigge (Walter) Adams ; was born in
Boston, 3 February, 1824; and was fitted for college at the Bos
ton Latin School. On leaving college, he entered the Law School
at Cambridge, where he remained one year ; and completed his
legal studies in the office of Charles Greely Loring, of Boston
(H.C. 1812). Having been admitted to the bar, he opened an
office in Boston. The profession, however, being crowded,
afforded but little encouragement for one of so modest and re
tiring habits as Mr. Adams ; and he, after a few years, deter
mined to seek a new field for practice, and, in 1849, sailed for
California, via Cape Horn ; but, on the passage, he was attacked
with pleurisy-fever, and arrived at the end of his long voyage
in a feeble state of health. After remaining a few weeks in San
Francisco, by the advice of friends he proceeded to the Sand
wich Islands ; but, on his arrival there, he found the accom
modations for invalids very scanty and undesirable, and he
shortly afterwards sailed for China. But this voyage was of
little benefit to him ; and he returned home after an absence of
about thirteen months, and resumed the practice of his profes
sion in Boston. His health, however, was never fully restored ;
and that insidious disease, consumption, closed his mortal career
while in the prime of life. Exemplary in all the duties of private
life, he showed a diligence, exactness, and fidelity in his profes
sion, which, had his life been prolonged, would have insured
success, and the confidence and esteem of the community. He
had a taste for archaeological and genealogical studies. An
interesting paper, entitled "Notices of the Walter Family," fur
nished by him, was published in the " Historical and Genealogi
cal Register" for July, 1854. He died full of Christian hope
and resignation, leaving many devoted friends to mourn his
early death.

1844. ROBERT LEMMON died atPatuxent, Md., 24 Decem-

1856-57.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 153

ber, 1856, aged 31. He was son of Richard and S. A. Lem-
mon, and was born in Baltimore, 25 September, 1825. After
leaving college, he studied law in the office of the late Judge
Glenn, and practised his profession in Baltimore until 1848 ;
when he relinquished it to pursue the business of an iron-master
at the Patuxent Furnaces in Anne Arundel County, Md. He
married, in the autumn of 1854, Fannie C., daughter of Henry
A. Hull, of West River, Md. They had two children, sons,
who, with their mother, survived him.

1848. JOHN EDSOX died in New-York City, 29 April,
1857, aged 29. He was born in Quincy, Mass., 27 June,
1827. While very young, he removed with his father s family
to Bridgewater, where he was fitted for college. In September,
1844, he was admitted to the freshman class in Trinity College,
Hartford. There he remained not quite five months ; and in
February, 1845, entered Columbia College, in the city of New
York. He was in this institution one year and a half, until the
close of the sophomore year; and in August, 1846, he was
admitted into the junior class at Cambridge. After graduating
in 1848, he spent the remainder of that year and the following
year in Troy, N.Y., in the study of engineering. He then
went to the city of New York, where he studied architecture ;
and afterwards established himself there as an architect, which
profession he pursued until his death.

1849. Rev. JULIUS WALKER STUART died in Beaufort,
S.C., 30 October, 1856, aged 28. He was born in Beaufort,
30 September, 1828. After graduating, he went through a
course of theological studies, preparatory to becoming an Epis
copal clergyman ; and was ordained in Beaufort, as assistant-
pastor to the Rev. Mr. Pinckney, of Grace Church, in Charles
ton, S.C. : but his labors in his sacred calling were destined to
be snort. He left Charleston on a visit to Beaufort ; and, a
few days after his arrival there, he was taken with yellow fever,
of which he died, after an illness of seven days. The editor of
the " Charleston Mercury," who was his classmate, in announ
cing his death, says, " He had just begun a career in the minis
try of the Episcopal church, which opened the highest prospects



of future usefulness. Knowing him from his early boyhood,
we can say that we have never known a human being more
thoroughly blameless. Nor were his virtues of the negative
sort ; he was earnest, conscientious, firm in his convictions, and
courageous in their maintenance and defence : but all his manly
qualities were pervaded with a gentleness and unselfishness that
never allowed them to give offence ; and we do not believe, that,
in the whole course of his life, he ever made an enemy, or has
left a solitary spark of human unkindness to be extinguished on
his grave."

1850. WILLIAM LOWELL STONE died in Cambridge,
Mass., 9 January, 1857, aged 27. He was son of William
Fiske and Harriet (Brigham) Stone, and was born 24 June,
1829, during the temporary residence of his mother at West-
borough, Mass., while his parents were inhabitants of East
Cambridge. He was prepared for college at the High School
in East Cambridge, under Justin Allen Jacobs (H.C. 1839).
He maintained, during the whole of his academic career, the
same conscientious industry, and steady excellence of deport
ment, which distinguished him in his earlier years at home and
at school ; and graduated with the esteem of his instructors,
and an honorable rank in his class. During the latter part of
his college course, symptoms of failing health began to show
themselves, and it was with difficulty that he performed his
commencement part. For nearly two years after he graduated,
he was employed in the office of the register of deeds in
Middlesex county. In the mean time, by the advice of his
friends, he concluded to study law, not with a view to practice
in the profession, but to enable him to pursue successfully, at
the offices in East Cambridge, the business of examining land
titles, a business well suited to his quiet tastes and habits.
Accordingly, he entered the Law School at Cambridge, where he
took his degree in 1854. By this time, his health was so much
impaired, that he abandoned his purpose ; and, confined mostly
to his father s house, he experienced great mental depression and
physical suffering, until he was relieved by death. He was a
young man of great purity and delicacy of mind ; of unspotted

1856-57.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 155

integrity and truthfulness ; of conscientious fidelity to the studies
he pursued, and the work, whatever it might be, that he under
took : but he was one of those who are ill fitted for the rough
conflicts of life, or for making their way to worldly distinction
and worldly success. He had a morbid sensitiveness of tem
perament, an extreme humility and self-distrust, a constitutional
shyness and reserve, that shrank from all publicity, and some
times made him unjust to himself. His abilities and merits
could be known only by the few who had opportunity to pass
beyond the barrier of his natural reserve, and to see the ster
ling excellence behind.

1852. JOHN SYLVESTER GARDINER died in Boston,
25 July, 1856, aged 25. He was son of William Howard
Gardiner (H.C. 1816) and Caroline (Perkins) Gardiner, and
was born in Boston, 5 October, 1833. After finishing his col
legiate course, he went to Europe, where he passed a year or
two. After his return, before he had fixed upon any profession,
he was suddenly cut down in the bloom of life, and his earthly
career terminated by the inscrutable decree of an all-wise Prov

1852. Dr. JAMES SENECA HILL died in Sacramento,
Cal., 21 April, 1857, aged 32. He was son of George
Washington and Sallie (Albee) Hill, and was born in Paw-
tucket, Mass., 3 March, 1825. His father, who was the son
of Samuel (commonly called Judge) Hill, was a native of
Smithfield, R.I., and died about 1832. When about five years
of age, he moved with his father (who was in feeble health)
to his grandfather s in Smithfield. After his father s death, he,
with his mother, went to Willimantic, Conn. ; his uncle being
appointed his guardian. Soon afterwards, he went to school at
Windham, Conn., and lived with James Wilson. There he
remained three or four years, occasionally residing a while at
Willimantic. Being then eleven or twelve years old, he went to
Willimantic, residing with his uncle ; assisting him occasionally
on his farm in summer, but most of the time attending school.
About 1837, he went to Holliston Academy, then under the
charge of Rev. Gardner Rice. About two years and a half


afterwards, he went to the Colchester (Conn.) Academy one
winter, where his mother then lived. He then went to Chaplin,
Conn., to learn the trade of a carpenter. After working at the
trade two years, he went to Northampton, Mass., whither his
mother and guardian had removed. The following year, he
built a small house for his mother. He afterwards built several
small houses, having two or more hired men under him ; always,
after the first winter, attending the academy at Easthampton.
He also built four barns ; and, in 1846, assisted his elder broth
er, George A. Hill, in building the wood-work to a stone dam.
Working very hard on the dam, worn down and fatigued, it
occurred to him, one day, to go to college ; and, about the 1st
of December, he entered T\ r illiston Seminary at Easthampton,
where he was fitted, and entered the freshman class at Amherst
College in 1848, and took the first prize there, as a speaker,
in 1850. He remained in Amherst three years; and, in the
autumn of 1851, he left, and entered the senior class at Harvard
College. He taught school, in his junior year, at East Doug
lass, and at Duxbury in his senior year. After graduating,
he studied medicine at the Boylston Medical School in Boston ;
and received his degree of M.D., 18 July, 1855. Shortly
afterwards, he was appointed physician to the state alms-
house in Tewksbury, where he remained a year and a half;
when he concluded to go to .California, and left New York for
that place on the 21st of January last. During his stay in
Tewksbury, he had some twenty-five hundred patients under his
charge, and performed many difficult surgical operations with
great success. By his uniform kindness and gentlemanly bear
ing, he endeared himself to all. By nature, as well as by early
education, he was eminently qualified to be a surgeon of the
highest order ; and there is no doubt in the minds of those who
knew him, that such would have been the case had his life been
spared. While at Tewksbury, many a poor creature had cause
to bless him, not only for his medical and surgical skill, but
also for his ingenious contrivances to alleviate their misery ; such
as easy - chairs for those unable to walk ; padded crutches
for the lame. Being no respecter of persons, he treated the

1856-57.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 157

poor and unfortunate, whatever their color or country, with the
same kind care and attention bestowed upon the more favored
ones. He was a man of rare genius, and could make almost
any thing, however complicated, to which he turned his atten
tion. Life-saving articles he was considerably interested in ;
being the inventor of a life-boat, and also of a safety-lamp.
He sometimes wrote poetry ; and a few of his compositions were
set to music, and arranged for the piano-forte. His poetical
writings, while in Amherst College, gave him a high rank
among his fellow-students. Early in April, after his arrival in
California, he was taken sick of typhoid fever at the residence
of his brother in Sacramento ; and, after an illness of two weeks,
he died. Thus, at the early age of thirty-two, when a new

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 14 of 49)