Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 2 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 2 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and Worcester Railroad, at Newton Lower Falls, 21 January,
1852, aged 25. He was son of Dr. John Ball Brown, and was
born in Boston, 19 January, 1827. He was very desirous of
having a collegiate education, and entered the Boston Latin
School for the purpose of pursuing his preparatory studies.
But, while in the school, his father lost all his property by a fire
which destroyed a large laundry and two dwelling-houses belong
ing to him. His hopes of going to college were therefore
destroyed, and he was placed in a wholesale dry-goods store in
Boston, where he remained a few months, when the firm was
dissolved, and he was thrown out of employment. He was after
wards put into a dry-goods store in Dover, N.H., where he
remained but a short time. Being still desirous of going to col
lege, he went to work on a farm, hoping to earn money enough to
get a liberal education; but, as he was unacquainted with farming,
his father determined to send him to sea as the best way to earn
money to pay his collegiate expenses. He went to New Bed
ford, and was shipped on board a whaling vessel, and made a
long voyage. After his return, he entered college ; and, with the



money he made in his whaling voyage, he succeeded in going
through college. After graduating, he made a tour as colporter ;
and in the fall of 1851 he entered the Theological Seminary at
Andover, where he remained until the following January ; when,
about three o clock in the afternoon of the 21st, as he was pass
ing along the viaduct on the railroad at Newton Lower Falls, he
was caught between the cars and the railing of the bridge, and
thrown from the latter by the passing train, which struck him
down, and instantly deprived him of life.

1852-53.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 11


1787. Hon. SAMUEL PUTXAM, of Boston, died at Somer-
ville, 3 July, 1853, aged 85. He was son of Gideon Putnam,
and was born at Danvers, 13 April, 1768 ; commenced the prac
tice of law in Salem about the year 1790 ; was senator for Essex
in 1808 and 1809, representative from Salem in 1812, and
again senator in 1813 and 1814. On the death of Chief
Justice Sewall, in 1814, he was appointed, by Gov. Strong,
Judge of the Supreme Court.

1790. Rev. MICAH STONE died in Brookfield, 20 Septem
ber, 1852, aged 82. He was son of Rev. Eliab Stone, of Read
ing (H.C. 1758), and was born in that town, 22 September,
1770 ; ordained pastor of the Second Church in Brookfield,
11 March, 1801.

1791. EZEKIEL HERSEY DERBY died in Salem, 31 Octo
ber, 1852, aged 80. He was son of Hasket Derby, of Salem,
where he was born 1 November, 1772 ; was early in life a mer
chant, but for the last thirty-five years was a conspicuous and
active agriculturist.

1793. Rev. CHARLES COFFIX, D.D., died in Greenville,
Tenn., 3 June, 1853, aged 77. He was born in Newburyport,
15 August, 1775, and was successively president of Greenville
and Knoxville Colleges in Tennessee.

bury, 27 August, 1852, aged 78. He was son of Dr. Amos
Winship (H.C. 1771), and was born in Boston, 22 June, 1774,
and was considered a skilful physician. He practised succes
sively in the western country, in Havana, Cuba, in Boston and

Amherst, N.H., 8 January, 1853, aged 79. He was son of


Hon. Joshua Atherton (H.C. 1762), and was born in Amherst,
14 August, 1773 ; read law with his father, and with Hon. Wil
liam Gordon, of Amherst (H.C. 1779); was admitted to the
bar, and opened an office in Amherst in 1797 ; appointed register
of probate for Hillsborough County in 1798 ; representative
to Congress from 1815 to 1817; represented his native town
in the State Legislature in 1823, 1838, and 1839.

1794. Rev. DAVID KENDALL died in Augusta, Oneida
County, N.Y., 19 February, 1853, aged 85. He was born in
Athol, Mass., 20 March, 1768; ordained at Hubbardston, 20
October, 1802; dismissed April, 1809, and removed to Augusta,
N.Y., where he was installed over the Congregational Society in
that town, and where he spent the remainder of his life. For
several years before his death, he was unable to perform his cleri
cal duties, on account of a paralytic affection.

1795. Capt. JOSIAH BARTLETT died in Newburyport,
24 February, 1853, aged 77. He was a native of Newbury-
port, and was born 15 September, 1775. After leaving college,
he went to sea several years as supercargo, and subsequently as
master. During the war of 1812, he sailed from Bourdeaux as
commander and principal owner of the ship " Volant," with a
very valuable cargo, bound for Boston. When he had nearly
reached his port of destination, he was captured by a British
cruiser, and carried to Halifax, and subsequently to England.
He resided in England and France till the close of the war, when
he returned to Newburyport, and resided there the remainder of
his life, employed principally as a teacher, particularly of the
French language, of which he had acquired a knowledge during
his residence in Europe.

1795. THOMAS BE ALE WALES died in Boston, 15 June,
1853, aged 77. He was son of Dr. Ephraim Wales, of Ran
dolph (H.C. 1768), where he was born 1 January, 1776. He
was a highly respected and eminently successful merchant in

1796. GEORGE WINGATE died in Stratham, N.H., 12
September, 1852, aged 75. He was son of Hon. Paine Win-
gate (H.C. 1759), and was born in Stratham, 14 May, 1778.

1852-53.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 13

He did not study a profession, but devoted himself to agri

1798. NATHANIEL LORD died in Ipswich, 16 October,
1852, aged 72. He was son of Isaac Lord, of Ipswich, where
he was born 25 September, 1780. For several years after leav
ing college, he was employed as a teacher. He was subsequently
associated with the late Daniel Noyes, register of probate;
upon whose decease he was appointed his successor by Gov.
Strong, in May, 1815, and held the office till he was removed
by Gov. Boutwell in June, 1851.

1799. DANIEL ADAMS died in Medfield, 2 September,

1852, aged 73. He was son of Rev. Daniel Adams, of Water-
town (H.C. 1774), where he was born 26 March, 1779. He
fitted for college with Rev. Dr. Prentiss, of Medfield (H.C.
1766) . On leaving college, he was appointed preceptor of Bris
tol Academy, where he continued one year ; after which he
studied divinity a year with Rev. Dr. Bancroft of Worcester
(H.C. 1778), when his fondness for the law led him to the
office of Benjamin Whitman, Esq. of Hanover, Mass., where
he completed his studies. He then opened an office in Medfield,
where he settled. He also had for a time an office in Hop-
kinton. With the exception of having once represented Med
field in the Legislature, he was never in public life.

1801. WILLIAM BARTLETT died in Newburyport, 28 De
cember, 1852, aged 70. He was son of William Bartlett, of
Newburyport, where he was born 23 July, 1782, and was a
merchant in his native place.

1802. ISAAC GATES died in Harvard, 9 November, 1852,
aged 74; found dead in his bed. He was born (supposed) in
Charlestown, 7 May, 1777 ; was a lawyer successively in Con
cord, N.H., Brunswick, Me., Lynn, Mass., and Harvard.

1802. HENRY GARDNER RICE died in Boston, 26 March,

1853, aged 69. He was son of Dr. Tilly Rice, of Brookfield,
where he was born 18 February, 1784 ; was a merchant in

1303. JOHN FARRAR died in Cambridge, 8 May, 1853,
aged 73. He was son of Deacon Samuel Farrar, of Lincoln,


and was born 1 July, 1779. He was appointed tutor in Greek
in 1805 ; and, in 1807, was chosen Hollis Professor of Mathe
matics and Natural Philosophy in Harvard College ; which latter
office he held till June, 1831, when he resigned on account of ill

1804. Eev. OLIVER BROWN died at Haddam, Conn.,
while on a journey from Lyme to Middletown, 9 February,
1853, aged 76. He was born in Charlestown, 13 January,
1777; was for some years chaplain of the State Prison; was
installed at Kingston, R.I., 19 December, 1821, dismissed
April, 1835 ; moved to Bozrahville, Conn. ; was afterwards
settled as pastor of the Congregational Society at Grass Hill,
Lyme, Conn.

1804. SETH Low died in Brooklyn, N.Y., 19 June,
1853, aged 71 years and 10 months. He was born in the
West Parish of Gloucester, Mass., 19 March, 1782; moved
to Brooklyn about the year 1827, where he resided during the
remainder of his life, and was one of the most influential and
useful citizens of that community. He was a prominent mer
chant in New York ; and his prosperity furnished him with the
ability to give when needed, and his ripe judgment always made
his donations discreet. At the time of his death, he was presi
dent of the Board of Supervisors, and also of the Association
for the Relief of the Poor.

1806. JOHN BOIES THOMAS died in Plymouth, 2 Decem
ber, 1852, aged 65. He was born in Plymouth, Mass., 28
July, 1787. He commenced and pursued the practice of law
in Plymouth till he received the appointment of clerk of the
judicial courts for Plymouth County ; which office he held for a
period of about thirty-eight years, when he resigned on account
of ill health. He filled numerous municipal offices for many
years ; was seventeen years president of the Old-Colony Bank ;
was a member of the Convention to revise the Constitution
in 1820 ; and was elector of President and Yice-President in

1806. Dr. TIMOTHY WELLINGTON died in West Cam
bridge, 6 May, 1853, aged 71. He was son of Timothy

1852-53.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 15

Wellington, of Lexington ; where he was born 8 October, 1781.
After completing his professional studies, he settled in West
Cambridge as a physician, where he resided till his death, always
engaged in the active and arduous duties of an extensive and
successful practice.

1807. ABIEL JAQUES died in Worcester, 7 October,
1852, aged 72. He was son of Samuel Jaques, and was born
in Worcester, 7 March, 1780. He was teacher in Salem,
Watertown, Newton, Brooklyn (Conn.), Palmyra (N.Y.), and
Uxbridge (Mass.) ; then settled, as a farmer, in Worcester.

1807. Rev. FRAXCIS PARKMAX died in Boston, 12 No
vember, 1852, aged 64. He was son of Samuel Parkman, and
was born in Boston, 4 June, 1778 ; ordained at the New North
Church in Boston, 8 December, 1813 ; resigned 1 February,

1808. HENRY CODMAX died in Roxbury, 4 May, 1853,
aged 63. He was a lawyer in Boston ; he was born in Port
land, 1 October, 1789.

1808. JOHX FARWELL died in Tyngsborough, 19 Novem
ber, 1852, aged 66. He was born in Tyngsborough, 2 Octo
ber, 1785. He studied law with Hon. Asahel Stearns (H.C.
1797) ; settled as a lawyer in Tyngsborough, and became a
member of the Middlesex bar. He succeeded to his father s
landed estate in Tyngsborough, and the greater part of his life
was successfully devoted to agricultural pursuits.

1809. Major DAVID S. TOWXSEXD died in Boston, 28
January, 1853, aged 62. He was son of Dr. David Towns-
end (H.C. 1770), and was born in Boston, 19 April, 1790.
Soon after he graduated, he entered a merchant s counting-room,
where he continued till the commencement of the war of 1812,
when he entered the army as lieutenant and adjutant in the
ninth regiment of infantry, commanded by Col. Tuttle. Du
ring a skirmish on the banks of the St. Lawrence, he received
a wound, from a musket-ball, through the leg, below the knee ;
in consequence of which, his leg was amputated. Soon after
the close of the war, he received the appointment of paymaster,
which office he held till his death.


bridge, 7 February, 1853, aged 63. He was son of Samuel
Bartlett, of Concord ; and was born 17 September, 1789 ; com
menced practice as a physician in that town in 1813 ; removed
to Bath, Me., in 1816, and subsequently to Cambridge.

1811. HENRY HOLTON FULLER, of Boston, died at Con
cord, 15 September, 1852, aged 62. He was son of Rev.
Timothy Fuller, of Princeton (H.C. 1760), where he was born
1 July, 1790. He was a distinguished lawyer in Boston.

IS 12. Dr. ABEL LAWRENCE PEIRSON, of Salem, was
killed on the New- York and New-Haven Eailroad, at Norwalk,
Conn., 6 May, 1853, on his return from New York, where he
had been to attend a medical convention. He was son of
Samuel Peirson, of Biddeford, Me., where he was born 25 No
vember, 1794; commenced practice as a physician in Maine;
removed to Salem in 1819, and has been for many years con
sidered one of the most eminent of the profession in Essex

1813. Dr. CHARLES AUGUSTUS CHEEVER, of Portsmouth,
N.H., died in Saugus, 22 September, 1852, aged 58. He
was born in Lynn, 1 December, 1793 ; was for many years a
highly respectable physician in Portsmouth; came to Boston
some months before his death on account of ill health, and
entered the Massachusetts General Hospital to be under the
charge of the physicians of that establishment ; but after re
maining some time, his disease being considered incurable, he
left, and went to Saugus, where he owned an estate, and died
soon after he arrived there.

1814. D r . NATHANIEL BREWER, of Boston, died in Pep-
perell, 17 May, 1853, aged 57. He was born in Northfield,
Mass., 23 July, 1795; and was a druggist of the firm of
Brewers, Stevens, and Cushing, of Boston.

1814. ARTHUR MIDDLETON, of South Carolina, died in
Naples, Italy, 9 June, 1853, aged 57. He was son of Hon.
Henry Middleton, who was for many years American minister
at St. Petersburg, and grandson of Hon. Arthur Middleton,
one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He

1852-53.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 17

was born in South Carolina, 28 October, 1795 ; was, for eight
years, secretary to the American Legation in Spain ; married
the Countess Benivoglio, of Rome, who survives him, with two
children. He had resided in Naples with his family for three
years previous to his death.

1815 JOHN DALL died in Boston, 7 August, 1852, aged
56. He was son of William Dall, and was born in Boston,
22 February, 1797; was for many years teller, first in the
New-England, and afterwards in the State Bank. He became
insane some years before his death, and was for a considerable
time in the McLean Asylum at Somerville.

1815. JOHN SPRAGUE WHITWELL died at College Hill,
Cincinnati, 30 January, 1853, aged 57. He was born in
Brunswick, Me., 17 September, 1795 ; was for a time a teacher ;
afterwards a merchant ; and at the time of his death was
Professor of Ancient and Modern Languages, and Belles
Lett-res, in Farmer s College, Cincinnati.

1816. Dr. GEORGE BAKER died in Chelsea, 25 Decem
ber, 1852, aged 56. He was son of Eliphalet Baker, of
Dedham, where he was born 9 July, 1796 ; was a physician in
Lancaster, next a druggist in Cambridge, afterwards resumed
his profession in Chelsea.

1817. RICHARD FARWELL died in Marlborough, 20 Feb
ruary, 1853, aged 63. He was born at Fitchburg, 23 July,
1789, but removed with the family, when quite young, to
Harvard. He studied law, was admitted to the bar, and
went to the West, believed to Dubuque, Iowa; but subse
quently returned to Massachusetts, and established himself at
Marlborough, where he resided the remainder of his life.

1818. Dr. RALPH EMMS ELLIOTT, of South Carolina,
died in New York, 5 June, 1853, aged 55. He was born in
Beaufort, S.C., 15 July, 1797; studied medicine with Dr.
Hosack, of New York, but did not practise his profession.
He was an extensive planter in South Carolina, but resided
during the winter seasons in Savannah, Ga.

1819. Hon. ALFRED DWIGHT FOSTER died in Worcester,
10 August, 1852, aged 52. He was son of Hon. Dwight



Foster, of Brookfield (B.U. 1774), where he was born 26
July, 1800 ; settled as a lawyer in Worcester ; was representa
tive, senator, and councillor in the state legislature.

1820. Eev. WILLIAM GRAGG died in Groton, 19 Novem
ber, 1852, aged 66. He was son of Thomas Gragg, of
Groton, where he was born 17 September, 1786 ; ordained at
Windham, Me., 15 October, 1828 ; after a few years was dis
missed, and removed to Carlisle, Mass., thence to Bedford, and
finally returned to his native place, Groton, where he passed
the remainder of his life. His wife died 29 November, having
survived him but ten days.

1820. Hon. CHARLES PAINE, of Northfield, Vt., died in
the village of Waco, Texas, 6 July, 1853, aged 54. He had
gone to that part of the country for the purpose of exploring a
southern route for the proposed Pacific Railroad ; and it was
while in Texas that he contracted the disease common to the
climate, which caused his death. He was son of Hon. Elijah
Paine, of Williams town, Vt. (H.C. 1781), where he was born
15 April, 1799. After leaving college, he went to Northfield
to take charge of his father s factory in that town. He became
a manufacturer from necessity, and continued the business until
the burning of his factory in March, 1848, a period of nearly
twenty-five years. By his influence and energy, the charter of
the Vermont Central Railroad was obtained, and he was the
first president of that corporation. The Vermont and Canada
Railroad, the Champlain and St. Lawrence Railroad, and the
Ogdensburg Railroad, were largely indebted to him for their
construction. In the year 1841, he was elected governor of
Vermont ; which office he held two years, when he declined
being a candidate for re-election.

1821. HENRY BULFINCH died at Nahant, 28 January,
1853, aged 55. He was born in Lynn, 6 June, 1797 ; studied
divinity, and preached occasionally, but, most of his time, was
engaged as a teacher.

1824. JOHN THOMAS PHILIP DUMONT died in Hallowell,
Me., 6 October, 1852, aged 50. He was a lawyer in Hal
lowell, and an ardent politician of the whig school.

1852-53.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 19

1824. JOHN GREENOUGH died in Paris, France, 16 No
vember, 1852, aged 51. He was son of David Greenough, and
was born in Boston, 19 November, 1801 ; was an artist by pro

1825. HORATIO GREENOUGH died at the McLean Asy
lum, Somerville, 18 December, 1852, aged 47. He was son of
David Greenough, and was born in Boston, 6 September, 1805.
He was an eminent sculptor, and resided many years in Italy,
pursuing his profession there with great success.

1825. HIRAM MANLEY died in St. Mark s, Fla., 9 July,
1853, aged 51. He was son of David Manley, and was born
in Easton, Mass., 11 June, 1802. He settled as a lawyer in
Tallahassee, where he resided about ten years, when he removed
to St. Mark s. At the time of his death, he was judge of one
of the courts in Florida.

1825. SEARS COOK WALKER died at the house of his
brother, Judge Timothy Walker, in Cincinnati, 30 January,
1853, aged 47. He was born in Wilmington, Mass., 28
March, 1805 ; taught a private school in Philadelphia several
years ; was for a considerable period actuary of the Pennsylvania
Life-insurance Company ; a short time attached to the National
Observatory ; and, for several years preceding his death, one of
the assistants of the Coast Survey. He was a distinguished
member of the American Academy, and one of the most emi
nent mathematicians and astronomers in the country.

1826. ROBERT RANTOUL, Jun. , died in Washington, D.C. ,
7 August, 1852, aged 47. He was son of Robert Rantoul, and
was born in Beverly, 13 August, 1805 ; admitted to the bar in
1828; in 1833 became a resident of Gloucester, which town he
represented in the state legislature several years. In 1843 he
was appointed collector of Boston ; but his appointment was not
confirmed by the Senate, and he held the office but one year.
In 1845 he was appointed United-States attorney for Suffolk
District, which office he held till 1849. In 1851 he was chosen
United-States senator, to fill, for a few days only, the unexpired
term of Mr. Webster ; and, the same year, was chosen represen
tative in Congress from Essex District, which office he held at
the time of his death.


1828. THOMAS PHILANDER RYDER died in the Lunatic
Hospital, at South Boston, 21 November, 1852, aged 47. He
was son of Thomas Ryder, and was born in Hallo well, Me.,
19 August, 1806. He taught school in Dedham for some time ;
was afterwards a temperance lecturer, and for several years was
a constable in Boston.

1829. EZRA WESTON died in Duxbury, 6 September,
1852, aged 43. He was son of Ezra Weston, and was born in
Duxbury, 23 December, 1809. He was a lawyer in Boston,
and for a few years held the office of city-marshal.

1830. ISAAC APPLETON JEWETT died in Keene, N.H.,
14 January, 1853, aged 44. He was born in Burlington, Vt. ;
settled as a lawyer, first in Cincinnati, and afterwards in New
Orleans. For several years latterly, he resided principally at the
North, and was engaged in other business. He had travelled
extensively, and published two volumes entitled " Passages in
Foreign Travel." He also wrote a series of letters from the
West Indies, which were published in the " Christian Register "
about three years before his death.

1831. HENRY FREDERICK FRIESE died in Baltimore
County, Md., about seven miles from the city, 24 May, 1853,
aged 42. He was son of Philip R. J. and Julia G. Friese,
of Baltimore, where he was born 16 November, 1810. He
was fitted for college at the Round-Hill School at Northamp
ton, Mass., under the charge of Messrs. Joseph G. Cogswell
and George Bancroft. By profession he was a lawyer, and
practised in his native city, where for a time he held a jus
tice s commission.

1831. FREDERICK FURBER died at the Lunatic Hospital,
South Boston, 1 July, 1853, aged 42. He was son of Thomas
Furber and Elizabeth Green (Foster) Furber, of Boston ; and
was born 22 January, 1811. He was distinguished for his
mathematical attainments ; and, after graduating, qualified him
self for the profession of a civil engineer. He was insane
for twenty years ; the last thirteen of which he passed at South
Boston, where he latterly beguiled the tedium of confinement
by draughting plans for similar institutions.

1852-53.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 21

1832. WILLIAM PRESCOTT GIBBS died in Lexington, 27
July, 1852, aged 39. He committed suicide by drowning him
self in a pond near his house. He was the eldest son of William
Gibbs, of Salem ; where he was bom 5 August, 1812. He was
a lawyer by profession.

1833. Rev. JOSEPH HARRINGTON died in San Francisco,
2 November, 1852, aged 39. He was son of Joseph Harring
ton, of Roxbury (Y.C. 1803), and was born 21 February, 1813;
ordained in Boston as an evangelist, 27 September, 1840 ; in
stalled at Hartford, Conn., 23 April, 1846 ; was dismissed ; went
to San Francisco to take charge of the Unitarian society in that
place, and died of fever a few weeks after his arrival there.

1835. ALLEN CROCKER SPOONER died in Boston, 28
June, 1853, aged 39. He was born in Plymouth, 9 March,
1814 ; was a lawyer in Boston.

1835. JOHN HUNT WELCH died in Dorchester, 9 Septem
ber, 1852. He was son of John Welch, and was born in Pen-
nington, N.J., 17 November, 1814. He studied law, but
left the profession ; went into mercantile business, and was for
a time of the firm of Heard and Welch in Boston.

1836. DANIEL COOK died at East Boston, 1 June, 1853,
aged 35. He was son of Nathan Cook, and was born in Salem,
4 January, 1815. After graduating, he went to the South, and
kept school several years in Mississippi and vicinity. For the
last ten years, or thereabouts, of his life, he resided mostly in
Salem, and subsequently in East Boston, as a machinist.

1837. MANLIUS STIMSON CLARK died in Boston, 28 April,
1853, aged 36. He was son of Rev. Pitt Clark, of Norton
(II. C. 1790), where he was born 17 October, 1816; was a
highly respected lawyer in Boston.

1837. WILLIAM DAVIS, of Plymouth, died in Boston,
19 February, 1853, aged 34. He was son of Nathaniel Mor
ton Davis (H.C. 1804), and was born in Plymouth, 12 May,
1818 ; was a lawyer in Plymouth, and, at the time of his death,
vice-president of the Pilgrim Society.

1843. FRANCIS WHITNEY BIGELOW died in San Francisco,
11 July, 1853, aged 29. Hfe was son of Tyler Bigelow of


Watertown (H.C. 1801), where he was born 4 June, 1824.
He was a lawyer by profession.

1843. WASHINGTON VERY died in Salem, 28 April, 1853,
aged 37. He was son of Jones Very, of Salem, and was born
in that place, 12 November, 1815. For some time before he
entered college, he was a clerk in one of the Salem banks.
After he graduated, he studied divinity at the Theological
School in Cambridge. He preached one year, and subsequently
was teacher of a private school in Salem.

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 2 of 49)