Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 29 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 29 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

him to go to Europe as a delegate to the Peace Congress, then
to be held shortly in Paris. This was almost the only recreation
he had allowed himself to take after leaving college in 1810.
He spent several months in travelling in England and on the
Continent. Soon after his return, he became an associate with


Mr. Nathaniel T. Allen, a young and ardent successful teacher,
in the management of an academy in West Newton. Here he
labored with all the zeal of his younger days, until his health
again compelled him to retire, although he nominally remained
an associate until his death. He passed away calmly and
serenely, with the love and respect of all w T ho knew him.

He married, about the year 1816, Harriet Coffin, of Nan-
tucket, but had no children.

1811. CLARKE GAYTON PICKMAN died in Boston, 11 May,
1860, aged 68. He was the second son of Col. Benjamin
(H.C. 1784) and Anstis (Derby) Pickman, and was born in
Salem, Mass., 22 November, 1791. His father was born in
Salem, 30 September, 1763. He was a gentleman of fortune;
was a member of both branches of the state legislature and of
the executive-council ; a delegate in 1820 to the convention
for revising the constitution of Massachusetts ; and a representa
tive in Congress, from Essex South District, from 1809 to 1811.
He died 11 August, 1843, aged 79. His mother was a daugh
ter of Elias Hasket Derby, an eminent and wealthy merchant
of Salem. He was fitted for college by Jacob Newman Knapp
(H.C. 1802), who for several years kept a classical school in
Salem. He was taken ill in his sophomore year, and did not
again reside in college ; but received a degree with his class.
He then turned his attention to theological studies, intending to
take orders in the Episcopal church, but not under the direction
of any clergyman. He was ordained a deacon, and read the
service a few times ; but did not afterwards pursue the profes
sion. He was long subject to undue nervous excitement, which
occasionally resulted in temporary alienation of mind to such a
degree, that it was necessary, more than once, to place him in an
asylum for the insane, for short periods. He possessed a benev
olent disposition, which he manifested by educating several
meritorious children who were left orphans in straitened cir
cumstances. He delivered an address before the East-Cam
bridge Temperance Society, 22 December, 1835, and another
before the Ladies Benevolent Society at East Cambridge, 18
December, 1836 ; both of which were published. In the fol-

1859-60.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 313

lowing extract from the latter, he evidently alludes to him
self :-

" It has pleased God to create men with different degrees
of talent ; and, of course, their pursuits must be attended w r ith
different degrees of success. In the complicated concerns of
human life, it must also happen, that to equal talent there can
not, at all times, be given equal opportunities of exertion.
Hence it is, that, while one man is able to succeed in his object
of desire, another is kept back, sometimes by weakness, some
times by his crimes, often by a course of events which he cannot
control, and for the influences of which no cause can be assigned
but the good pleasure of our Creator."

For many years, he had no permanent place of abode. He
resided in Charlestown, East Cambridge, Boston, and other
places in this vicinity. He was never married.

1814. BENJAMIN APTHORP GOULD died in Boston, 24
October, 1859, aged 72. He was son of Capt. Benjamin
and Grizzel (Ap thorp) Gould, and was born in Lancaster,
Mass., 15 June, 1787; but removed, when quite young, with
his father s family, to Newburyport, Mass., where most of his
youthful days were passed. He was fitted for college at Dummer
Academy in Newbury, Mass. While in college, he attained
a high rank in scholarship, and was particularly distinguished
for his attainments in the Latin and Greek classics. In April
of his senior year, an offer was made to him to take charge of
the public Latin School in Boston ; which had become greatly
reduced, both in regard to the number of its scholars, arid the
want of a proper discipline. Whereupon he made application
to the government for leave of absence for the remainder of his
collegiate course ; which, in consideration of his diligence as a
student, his exemplary deportment, and the urgency of the
Boston school-committee to obtain his valuable services, was
granted, with the further privilege, that he should receive his
degree with his class at the next Commencement. In the month
of May following, he began his labors as principal of the school ;
and the highest anticipations of his friends were realized. The
institution, under his vigorous and unwearied exertions, soon



rose to a degree of prosperity which it had never before at
tained. He continued to hold the office of principal, with undi-
minished popularity and success, for fourteen years. In 1828,
his health having become somewhat impaired by his long and
arduous labors, he resigned his situation, and entered upon mer
cantile business, in which he continued the remainder of his life.
He became a large ship-owner, and was extensively engaged in
the Calcutta trade, which he pursued with good judgment and
with much success ; but he always retained an interest for the
school of which he was so long the head. When the Latin-
School Association was formed, he was unanimously elected its
president ; a post which he held, by successive re-elections, until
his death. He was a member of the Boston common-council
in 1834, 1835, 1836, and 1837, and was for several years one
of the school-committee. He was a man of extensive literary
attainments, and was a member of the American Academy of
Arts and Sciences. He was greatly beloved by his numerous
pupils, who ever retained an affectionate regard for their faithful
instructor. His moral character was without a blemish.

He married, 2 December, 1823, Lucretia Dana Goddard,
daughter of Nathaniel Goddard, Esq., of Boston, a most
amiable and accomplished lady, who survives him. They had
four children, two sons and two daughters, all of whom are
living. The elder son, Benjamin Ap thorp Gould, graduated at
Harvard College in 1844, and is the well-known astronomer.

1814. THOMAS WALLET PHILLIPS, of Boston, died at
his summer residence in Nahant, Mass., 8 September, 1859,
aged 62. He was the eldest son of Hon. John (H.C. 1788)
and Sally (Walley) Phillips, and was born in Boston, 16 Janu
ary, 1797. His father was born in Boston, 26 November,
1770, was an eminent lawyer, was judge of the Court of Com
mon Pleas in Suffolk county, was for many years president of
the state senate, and was the first mayor of Boston. He died
29 May, 1823, aged 52. His mother was the daughter of
Thomas and Sarah Walley ; was born 25 March, 1772 ; and died
4 November, 1845, aged 73. His brothers and sisters, all of
whom survive him, are Sarah Hurd, wife of Professor Alonzo

1859-60.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 315

Gray, of Brooklyn, N.Y. ; Margaret, wife of Dr. Edward
Reynolds, of Boston ; Miriam, wife of Rev. George Washing
ton Blagden, of Boston ; Rev. John Charles Phillips (H.C.
1826), of Methuen, Mass.; George William Phillips (H.C.
1829) ; Wendell Phillips (H.C. 1831) ; and Grenville Tudor
Phillips (H.C. 1836), the last three of Boston. He was sent
in early boyhood to Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass.,
which was founded by one of his relatives, and was there fitted
for college. After graduating, he read law with Hon. Lemuel
Shaw (H.C. 1800), and was admitted to the Suffolk bar in
1817. For about fourteen years, he practised law with much
success in Boston, until he succeeded the late Joseph H. Pierce
as clerk of the Municipal Court ; the arduous duties of which
office he filled with great ability, and with perfect acceptance to
the public, until his decease. Although of a retiring disposition,
he was at various times called from his much-loved, quiet life at
home, to take part in other official duties. In 1827, he was an
influential member of the common-council, under the mayoralty
of the elder Quincy ; and, in 1829, he performed the duties of
school-committe man for the ward in which he resided. In 1834
and 1837, he served the city as a representative in the legisla
ture. But the most important position which he occupied was
that of clerk of the Municipal Court ; which office he held under
the appointment of Judge Peter Oxenbridge Thacher (H.C.
1796), in 1830, and which, in its various changes, he retained
by successive appointments and elections. For many years, he
was a worthy and conscientious member of the Masonic frater
nity ; having received the degrees in Mount- Lebanon Lodge, of
Boston, in July, 1821. The next year, he became a member
of St. Andrew s Lodge, of Boston, -one of the most ancient
and respectable in the country, in which he for many years
held the office of treasurer ; and was one of the members -com-
mittee, dispensing charity with an open hand and liberal heart.
Jn all the relations of life, he was a most worthy man ; and
by his genuine kindliness of heart, and amiability of character,
made warm friends of all with whom he associated.

He married, 18 March, 1824, Anna Jones, daughter of


Samuel Dunn, of Boston. Two children of this marriage
survived him, John, an engineer of promise, at one time
employed in the construction of railways in Chile ; and Samuel
Dunn (H.C. 1861), who died in the service of the Educational
Commission for Freedmen, in 1862. His wife also survived him.

1814. THOMAS WETMORE died in Boston, 30 March,
1860, aged 64. He was son of Hon. William (H.C. 1770)
and Sarah (Waldo) Wetmore, and was born in Boston, 31
August, 1795. His father, who was the son of Jeremiah and
Hannah (Hobbs) Wetmore, was born in Middletown, Conn.,
30 October, 1749 ; was a lawyer by profession ; practised a
short time in Salem, and removed thence to Boston, where he
was appointed judge of the Court of Common Pleas ; an office
which he held many years. He died in Boston, 18 November,
1830, aged 81. The subject of this notice was fitted for college
at the public Latin School in Boston. After graduating, he
studied law ; and, having been admitted to the bar, he opened
an office in Boston, but retired from practice many years before
his death, being possessed of an ample competence of worldly
estate. He was a most useful and highly respected citizen, and
devoted many years of his life to the interests of the city. He
was a member of the common-council from 1829 to 1832;
was an alderman in 1833, 1834, 1835, 1837, 1838, 1839,
1841, 1842, 1843, 1844, and 1847. He was also for several
years a member of the board of water -commissioners. He
was once a candidate for the office of mayor ; but there being
two other candidates, and a majority of all the votes cast being
necessary for a choice, there was no election ; and he then with
drew from the contest. He was never married.

Hookset, N. H. , 3 May, 1860, aged 65. He was son of
Nathan and Mary (Blaisdell) Long, and was born in Ames-
bury, Mass., 8 November, 1794. His name, originally, was
Joseph Long ; but, in 1820, he, by authority of the legislature,
took the intermediate names of Augustus Edwin. He was
fitted for college at Amesbury Academy, but concluded to
become a merchant ; and for that purpose entered the counting-

1859-60.] OP HARVARD COLLEGE. 317

room of Zebedee Cook, on India Wharf, Boston, as a clerk,
where he remained one summer : but, business being dull in
consequence of the embargo which existed at that time, he
relinquished his purpose of a mercantile life, went to Phillips
Academy, Exeter, N.H., where he reviewed his studies under
Dr. Benjamin Abbot, and entered college in 1814. Immedi
ately after graduating, he entered the Divinity School at Cam
bridge as a student, where he remained one year and a half;
instructing, at the same time, a select number of private pupils.
He then returned -to Amesbury, where he continued his theo
logical studies with his brother-in-law, Kev. Benjamin Sawyer
(D.C. 1808), now of Salisbury, Mass. He was licensed to
preach by the Essex North Association, 10 October, 1820 ; and
went immediately to Kensington, N.H., where he preached, for
the first time, 29 October of the same year. He continued his
labors there to good acceptance until 5 June, 1822, when he
was ordained as an evangelist ; the church and society not being
able to settle and support a pastor. He continued to preach,
and perform all the ministerial duties, until 8 April, 1823. He
then went to Chelmsford, Mass., where he performed the duties
of ministerial pastor six or eight months. After leaving this
place, he was employed as a missionary in the state of Maine
about a year and six months. He often spoke of these eighteen
months as the most pleasant in his life ; and the people among
whom he labored spoke of him with much respect and warm
affection. He then went to Hookset, where he preached most
of the time until 1832 ; when he went to Sandown, where he
preached; and at Epping, Nottingham, and Poplin (now Fre
mont), for three or four years. In Biddeford and Lyman, Me.,
he was employed, as stated supply, about two years. In the
autumn of 1837, he returned to his house and home in Hookset.
After this time, his health being feeble, he preached only occa
sionally. He was often sent for to officiate at funerals ; on
r which occasions, he was said to be gifted in prayer, and in
adapting his remarks to the bereaved mourners.

His death was very sudden. He went to Concord, N.H.,
the 2d of May ; returned home about five o clock, P.M., as well as


he had been for some weeks ; and died the next morning,
exchanging this for a better world, calmly and peacefully. For
some weeks previous to his death, he often said he thought he
should not live but a short time ; that he should die suddenly ;
and gave directions respecting his funeral.

He married, 9 September, 1830, Anna Matilda Milton,
daughter of Rev. Charles William Milton, of Newburyport,
Mass. ; by whom he had a son, Joseph Samuel Head, and a
daughter, Mary Jane, both well settled in life. These, with
their mother, survived him.

1819. Hon. ROBERT CROSS died in Lawrence, Mass., 9
November, 1859, aged 60. He was son of Major William and
Ruth (Stacy) Cross, and was born in Newburyport, Mass., 3
July, 1799. He was grandson of Col. Ralph Cross, of the
army of the Revolution, afterwards Gen. Cross of the militia ;
and was appointed, by Jefferson, collector of Newburyport. His
mother was a native of Gloucester, Mass. He was fitted for
college at Phillips Academy, Andover ; and graduated with high
honors. Immediately after leaving college, he was appointed
usher in the Boston Latin School, where he remained one year.
He then studied law in the office of Hon. Ebenezer Moseley, of
Newburyport (Y.C. 1802) ; was admitted a member of the
Essex bar in December, 1823 ; and began the practice of his
profession in Newburyport, where he remained several years.
He then removed to Amesbury, Mass., where he continued his
profession with great industry, fidelity, and success, and en
joyed repeated marks of the public confidence. He was elected
a representative to the state legislature from Newburyport in
1827. In 1832, he was chosen senator from Essex district,
and again in 1842. In 1844, he removed to Marshall, in the
state of Michigan, where he resided until 1849, when he
returned to Massachusetts, and settled in Lawrence, where he
continued in the practice of his profession until his death. He
was an accomplished scholar, a sound lawyer, and, in the highest
sense of the word, a gentleman, endeared to his friends, and
respected by the community

He married, in 1828, Mary Cabot Tyng, daughter of Hon.

1859-60.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 319

Dudley Atkins Tyng, of Newburyport (H.C. 1781). They
had four children ; viz., Robert D., Mary R. (deceased), Ralph
(deceased) , and Charles E. His eldest son resides in Michigan,
and his youngest is a cadet at West Point. His wife died very
suddenly, of cholera, in Michigan, in July, 1849.

1820. Rev. BENJAMIN KENT, of Roxbury, Mass., died in
the insane-hospital at Taunton, Mass., 5 August, 1859, aged
65. He was son of Samuel and Rhoda (Hill) Kent, and was
born in that part of Charlestown which is now within the limits
of Somerville, Mass., 25 May, 1794. He pursued his prepara
tory studies under the instruction of Hon. James Russell, of
West Cambridge, Mass. (H.C. 1811). He held a high rank
in his class, and graduated with distinction. The part assigned
to him on his graduation was a poem " On Rank and Titles ; "
which was replete with sparkling wit, and elicited greater ap
plause than any other performance that day. After leaving
college, he studied theology at the Divinity School in Cam
bridge. He was ordained, 7 June, 1826, as colleague with
Rev. John Allyn, D.D. (H.C. 1785), over the Unitarian
church in Duxbury, Mass. Here he labored with great fidelity,
and to the entire acceptance of the society, until ill health com
pelled him to ask a dismission, which was with much reluctance
granted 7 June, 1833. To his unwearied labors the town was
much indebted for the establishment of a high-school, which,
principally through his instrumentality, was begun ; and by his
exertions a sum sufficient for its maintenance was raised, and
teachers eminently qualified for the duties of instructors were
procured. It was first under the charge of Mr. George Putnam
(H.C. 1826), now the Rev. Dr. Putnam, of Roxbury ; who
was succeeded by Mr. William Augustus Stearns (H.C. 1827),
now the Rev. Dr. Stearns, president of Amherst College.

From Duxbury, Mr. Kent removed, in 1833, to Roxbury ;
where he taught a private academy for young ladies for several
years. He was afterwards librarian of the Roxbury Athe
naeum until within two or three years, when the feeble state of
his health compelled him to relinquish it. He was a great suf
ferer for many years from extremely severe headache, so severe


that it several times resulted in fits of insanity, such as to render
it necessary to remove him to the hospital for the insane. He
was aware when these fits were coming upon him, and would
give directions for his removal when it should be necessary.
But all these afflictions he endured with remarkable patience and


Mr. Kent was a great lover of antiquity. He ransacked
garrets, collected many autographs and literary documents of the
Pilgrims, and made several discoveries of interest. He was a man
of superior intellect, great originality, keen wit, and a fine poetic
taste. He delivered, several years ago, the poem before the
Phi Beta Kappa Society at Cambridge. His health was broken
down by hard labor. His life affords a noble example of pa
tience, self-devotion, enthusiasm, and virtue, through a life of
uncommon trials.

He married, 27 September, 1826, Eleanor Bradford, of
Boston. They had four children, all daughters, who, with
their mother, survive him.

1820. Rev. STEPHEN SCHUYLER died in Ehinebeck,
Duchess county, N.Y., 1 November, 1859, aged 58. He was
son of Philip J. and Sarah (Rutsen) Schuyler, and was born
in Rhinebeck, 18 April, 1801. At the age of eight years, he
was sent to Medfield, Mass., to school, under the charge of Rev.
Thomas Prentiss, D.D. (H.C. 1766), preparatory for entering
college, where he remained three years ; thence to Cambridge
and Brighton three years ; thence to Albany, N.Y., one year ;
when he entered Union College at Schenectady. There he
remained two years, when he left; and in August, 1818, he en
tered the junior class at Harvard College. While in college,
he was studious, exemplary in his deportment, attained a high
rank in his class, and graduated with honors. Immediately
after leaving college, he selected the profession of law, and be
came a student in the office of Francis Livingston, Esq., at
Rhinebeck, and in that of Samuel Jones, Esq. (Y.C. 1790),
who was subsequently chancellor of the state of New York,
the first judge of the Superior Court of the city of New York,
and finally judge of the Supreme Court of the state, by elec-

1859-60.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 321

tion under the new judiciary system. He received his diploma
as an attorney in the Supreme Court of the state of New York
in October, 1823. He then turned his attention to the study of
the divine law, and became a student in the Divinity School
at Cambridge for two years, from September, 1824, to August,
1826. Compelled by ill health to abandon the practice of
law in the city of New York, he became, in 1830, a permanent
resident of his native place, Ehinebeck. He married, 11 De
cember, 1831, Catharine Morris. Three children were the
issue of this marriage; viz., 1. Stephen E., born 23 Novem
ber, 1832. 2. Sarah Catharine, born 27 April, 1840; died
8 June, 1848, aged eight years, one month, eleven days.
3. Rutsen, born 19 April, 1849 ; died 8 March, 1852, aged two
years, ten months, eighteen days. The lady whom he married,
was, by religious profession, a member of the Methodist-Epis
copal church, and he became a member of the same church in
1834 ; was licensed as a local preacher in the same year ; was
ordained to the order of deacon in 1839, and to that of elder in
1844. He was a most sincere believer in the doctrine of the
denomination which he had embraced, and was a faithful and
efficient laborer in his Master s vineyard until his health failed.
In 1851, he had a severe hemorrhage from the lungs ; but, by
great care, he rallied again, although he was always, after that,
subject to a severe cough and occasional bleeding. For the last
two years of his life, his health was very feeble. In May pre
vious to his death, he said to his friends that he might get through
the summer, but should not live through the fall. The disease
gradually wasted his body away, but his mind continued calm
and cheerful until the very last. He made all his arrangements
for his departure to that bright world which his pure spirit was
so fully prepared to enter, and he gradually passed away into
that solemn darkness which mortal eye cannot pierce, but which
to him, doubtless, is lighted up by the radiance of a never-
ending noon. His wife survived him ; and his only remaining
child was a civil-engineer, residing in Mississippi.

1822. JOHN FROST died in Philadelphia, 28 December,
1859, aged 59. He was son of Nathaniel and Abigail



(Kimball) Frost, and was born in Kennebunk, Me., 26 Jan
uary, 1800. In early life he manifested great fondness for
study. He pursued his preparatory studies at the academy in
Gorham, Me. ; and, in 1818, he entered Bowdoin College,
where he remained one year, when he left, and entered the
sophomore class at Harvard College. He held an honorable
rank of scholarship in his class, and graduated with high honors.
In the winter immediately subsequent to leaving college, he
taught school in Cambridgeport. In 1823, he was appointed
principal of the Mayhew School in Boston, which position he
held about four years. In 1828, he removed to Philadelphia;
passing the winters of 1827 8 and 18289 in Cuba to recover
from severe attacks of bleeding from the lungs. From 1828 to
1838, he conducted a school for young ladies ; and, at the latter
date, accepted the situation of professor of belles-lettres at
the Central High-School in Philadelphia, which he resigned, in
1845, to devote himself entirely to literary pursuits. He was,
during a great portion of his life, a book-maker, probably the
most prolific one our country has yet produced. To that pur
suit he sacrificed every thing else. He made his pupils his
assistants, and thus lost for his female school the patronage of
some of the wealthy families. He mingled the same pursuit
with his teachings in the High School, and with a similar result.
The two things were incongruous, and the passion for literature
triumphed. It is impossible to give a list of the numerous
works he w r rote and compiled. They were principally histories,
many of them bearing a fictitious name on the titlepage. His
tory was his speciality, and this exhaustless mine he worked in
every way. His " Pictorial History of the United States " sold
largely, upwards of fifty thousand copies having been disposed
of some years ago ; and it is still popular. Next to his histori
cal works, his biographies fill the largest space. He employed

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 29 of 49)