Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 40 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 40 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

leaving college, he visited Europe; and, on his return, studied
law with his father, one of the ablest lawyers and ripest schol
ars in the valley of the Mississippi. It may be added that the
latter studied law with his relative, the Hon. William Hunter,
of Newport, E.I., who received his legal education in London.
On being admitted to the bar, Francis Brinley Fogg removed
to Nashville, Tenn., and became the partner of the late Felix
Grundy ; and in their office the late President Polk acquired his
legal education. Young Fogg became a promising lawyer ; was
talented and spirited. A little South-Carolina blood, probably,

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 435

led him into the rebel army. He left his business to become an
aide to Gen. Felix K. Zollicoflfer ; and they were both killed
in the battle at Somerset. Fogg s brother, Francis Brinley
Fogg, jun., was educated at the university in Nashville, Tenn. ;
but studied his profession at the Law School in Cambridge, grad
uating in 1846. He returned to Nashville, where he began to
practise with marked success. He died, after a brief illness in
that city, in February, 1848. Fogg s parents are now left
childless, having lost their only daughter a few years ago.

1849. Dr. JOHN SMITH NICHOLS died in Nevada, Cal.,
January, 1862, aged 35 years. He was the ninth child and
third son of Ezra and Waity Gray (Smith) Nichols, and was
born in Middleton, Mass., 20 June, 1826. His father was born
in October, 1789 ; was married in Seabrook, N.H. ; and died in
September, 1848. The son was fitted for college at Andover.
After leaving college, he studied medicine with Dr. Ezra Addi-
son Searle Nichols, of Cambridge. He received his degree of
M.D. in 1851, and established himself in the practice of his
profession in Cambridge. He afterwards removed to Woon-
socket, R.I. ; and finally went to palifornia.

1849. Col. EVERETT PEABODY died in Pittsburg, Tenn.,
6 April, 1862, aged 31 years. He was killed in battle. He
\vas the second son of Rev. William Bourne Oliver (H.C.
1816) and Eliza Amelia (White) Peabody, and was born in
Springfield, Mass., 13 June, 1830. His father was son of
Hon. Oliver Peabody (H.C. 1773), of Exeter, N.H., where
he was born, 9 July, 1799 ; was ordained at Springfield,
October, 1820 ; and died 29 May, 1847. His mother was the
second daughter and eighth child of Major Moses and Elizabeth
Amelia (Atlee) White, of Rutland, Mass. ; and was born 24
May, 1799. The subject of this notice was fitted for college
by his father, and entered the University of Vermont, at Bur
lington, as freshman, in 1845, where he remained one year;
then left, and entered as sophomore at Harvard College in 1846.
On leaving college, he concluded to adopt engineering as a pro
fession ; and he was employed on the Cochituate water-works
one or two months, under Mr. Chesborough. He then went


on to the Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati Railroad, as a
leveller. He rose rapidly in his profession. Went on to the
Pacific Railroad, in Missouri, in 1851 ; went on to the Mays-
ville and Lexington Railroad, Ky., in 1852; became chief of
the Memphis and Ohio Railroad in 1853 ; became resident-
engineer on the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad in 1855 ;
chief-engineer of the Platte-County Railroad in 1859. When
the war broke out, he raised a battalion, received a commission
as major, and was busily employed in repairing and defending
the railway-communications of Northern Missouri. He com
manded twelve hundred men at the siege of Lexington. He
was slightly wounded in the chest, and severely in the foot,
which lamed him for life. He was confined to his bed for two
months, and went on crutches for two more. He re-organized
his regiment (the Twenty-fifth Missouri) in spite of great opposi
tion, and was ordered to join Gen. Grant s army. Upon his
joining the force under Gen. Grant, the command of a brigade
under Gen. Prentiss was assigned to him, on the exposed left
wing of the army nearest the enemy ; and here, in the unequal
conflict which that wing maintained, he was killed. He was
six feet and one inch in stature, very broad and powerful ;
hardy and rugged, hardly knowing what sickness was ; gay, and
careless of the future ; very chivalrous, and of dauntless courage.
1850. Dr. EDWARD BROOKS EVERETT died in Boston,
5 November, 1861, aged 31 years. He was son of Hon.
Edward (H.C. 1811) and Charlotte Gray (Brooks) Everett,
and was born in the house of his grandfather, Hon. Peter
Chardon Brooks, at Medford, Mass., 6 May, 1830. He went
with his parents to Europe in 1840 (his father having been
appointed minister to the Court of St. James) , and was at school
successively at Paris, Florence, Paris again, and London, while
his father resided in Europe, from 1840 to 1845 : at London, he
was at King s-College School, under Dr. Major. He returned
home with his parents in 1845 ; and was for a short time at the
Boston public Latin School, and then at the private school of
Daniel Greenleaf Ingraham, of Boston (H.C. 1809), by whom
he was offered for admission to college. After graduating, he

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 437

studied medicine at the Tremont Medical School in Boston, and
received the degree of M.D. in 1853. He had given much
attention to veterinary science, under the impression that it ought
to be held in much higher consideration than it is. His health,
however, soon began to fail ; and he never engaged in the prac
tice of his professsion.

He married, 24 October, 1855, Helen C., daughter of Benja
min Adams, of Boston. He left a son of six and a daughter
of four years of age, whose mother also survives him.

1851. ARTHUR HERBERT POOR died in New- York city,
11 January, 1862, aged 31 years. He was son of Benjamin
and Aroline Emily (Peabody) Poor, of Boston ; and was born
in Stow, Mass, (where his parents resided for a short time),
6 December, 1830. He was fitted for college at the Boston
Latin School. In his class he held a high rank of scholarship,
and graduated with honors. On leaving college, he entered the
counting-room of Messrs. Read, Chadwick, and Dexter, commis
sion-merchants, of Boston ; and in January, 1855, was admitted
as a partner of the firm. He exhibited great enterprise, energy,
and skill in business ; and soon afterw r ards went to New York
to take charge of the branch-house of the firm in that city. In
the early part of the year 1861, he had occasion to visit some
of the western states, on business of the house ; and while on
his journey he took a severe cold, which terminated in an affec
tion of his lungs, of which he died after a long illness. He
was greatly esteemed by his relatives, as well as by the house
with which he was connected in business.

He married, 10 January, 1855, Harriet Leonard, daughter
of William A. F. Sproat, of Taunton, Mass., by whom he
had two children, one son and one daughter, who, with
their mother, survive m m.

1851. GEORGE DOANE PORTER died in Medford, Mass.,
25 November, 1861, aged 30 years. He was son of Jonathan
(H.C. 1814) and Catharine (Gray) Porter, and was born in
Medford, 21 June, 1831. His father was born in Medford,
13 November, 1791; was a lawyer in that town; and died
11 June, 1859. His mother survived him. He was fitted for


college chiefly by his father, and entered one year in advance.
After graduating, he studied law under the instruction of Wil
liam Brigham, of Boston (H.C. 1829). On his admission to
the bar, he opened an office in Boston, and another in Medford ;
but soon afterwards confined his business solely to Medford.
He was much respected in his native town for his good sense,
honesty, and faithfulness. He was for several years a diligent
and useful member of the school-committee.

He married, 8 August, 1860, Lucretia A. Holland, and had
one son ; who, with his mother, survived him.

1854. HENRY BLATCHFORD HUBBARD, of Boston, died
in Chicago, 111., 13 February, 1862, aged 29 years. He was the
third son of Hon. Samuel (Y.C. 1802) and Mary Ann (Coit)
Hubbard, and was born in Boston, 8 January, 1833. His father
was born in Boston, 2 June, 1785 ; was appointed associate-
judge of the Supreme Court of Massachusetts in 1842 ; and died
24 December, 1847, aged 62 years. The subject of this notice
entered the Boston Latin School at the age of twelve, and
there pursued his preparatory studies. While in college, he
resided with his brother, Gardiner Greene Hubbard (D.C.
1841), in Cambridge. At the end of his junior year, on
account of ill health and an affection of his eyes, he left college,
and sailed for Europe, 18 June, 1853. He returned 19 Septem
ber, 1854, too late to graduate with his class. He received his
degree, out of course, in 1857. He began the study of law
with his brother, Gardiner Greene Hubbard ; but in September,
1855, he entered the Law School in Cambridge. He left the
Law School in 1856 ; and was clerk, engineer, and treasurer
of the Cambridge water-works until the fall of 1859. His
health failing, he sailed for California, 25 December following,
in the ship " Andrew Jackson." While in California, he was
attached to the United- States Coast Survey as magnetic and
astronomic assistant. He returned in the spring of 1861, with
out any improvement of his health. In September following,
he went to visit his brother, William Henry Hubbard (B.IJ.
1845), in Chicago, where he died. His remains were brought
home, and interred at Mount Auburn 17 February, 1862.

He was never married.

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 439

1855. LANGDON ERVING died in Baltimore, Md., 20 May,
1862, aged 27 years. He was son of John and Emily Sophia
(Ehvin) Erving, and was born at Fort Henry, Md., 20 Novem
ber, 1834. His father is a colonel in the United-States army,
son of John, a retired gentleman, and was born in Boston.
His mother was daughter of Thomas Elwin, of England, a
lawyer, who never practised his profession. His (Thomas El-
win s) wife was the only child of Gov. John Langdon, of Ports
mouth, N.H. The subject of this notice, for the first ten years
of his life, did not live a year in any one place. He was at
North Carolina, Michigan, Georgia, South Carolina, and Phila
delphia : at nine or ten years of age, he was at Fort Hamilton,
in New- York harbor. He was christened, when very young, by
Eev. Charles Burroughs, D.D., of Portsmouth, N.H. In Sep
tember, 1845, he began to attend school at Perignot s, in New
York, where he staid, with the exception of going to Cincinnati
and Kentucky, until he entered college. He attained a dis
tinguished standing of scholarship in college, ranking as the fifth
in a class numbering 81. After graduating, he entered the
Law School at Cambridge ; and, having obtained his degree of
LL.B. in 1857, he established himself in the practice of his
profession in Baltimore.

He married, 18 December, 1860, Sophie C. Pennington,
of Baltimore ; and left one daughter, born 27 September,

1855. GEORGE FOSTER HODGES, of Roxbury, Mass.,
died at Hall s Hill, near Washington, D.C., 30 January, 1862,
aged 25 years. He contracted a violent cold while on a visit to
Washington, which the damp exposure of camp life intensified,
till it became a fever, of which he died after an illness of ten
days. He was son of Almon Danforth and Martha (Corn-
stock) Hodges, and was born in Providence, R.I., 12 January,
1837. His father was born in Norton, Mass., 25 January,
1801. He came to Boston in his youth, and served his appren
ticeship in the store of Messrs. John D. Williams and Co. ; and
afterwards began business in Providence, R.I., under the firm
of Stimpson and Hodges, as wholesale grocers, where he con-


tinued more than twenty years. In 1845, he removed to Bos
ton, and formed a copartnership with Mr. John L. Emmons
(who was a fellow-apprentice w r ith him in the store of Messrs.
Williams), under the style of Hodges and Emmons. In No
vember, 1850, he was chosen president of the Washington
Bank ; which office he now holds, having retired from commer
cial business. Young Hodges s mother was a native of Provi
dence. She died in Roxbury, 29 August, 1849. The subject
of this notice was fitted for college by Rev. Moses Burbank
(Waterv. C. 1836), at his private school in Newton, Mass., and
entered the sophomore class in 1852. He was one of the
youngest in his class, but attained a highly respectable rank,
and graduated with honors. After leaving college, he studied
law, first in the office of Peleg Whitman Chandler, of Boston
(Bowd. C. 1834), and completed his studies at the Law School
in Cambridge, where he received his degree of LL.D. in 1860.
Immediately after he graduated, he went to the Warren-street
Chapel in Boston, and asked whether he could not be of some
service in carrying out the objects of that most useful institution,
and pressed his desire to be employed in whatever way he could
be useful. He was immediately engaged in the evening school,
teaching the simplest rules of arithmetic and writing to adults,
who in their youth had not enjoyed the privileges of instruction.
After he had begun the practice of his profession, in the first
case in which he was employed he was successful. With the
reward he had earned, and of which he had so much right to be
proud, he went to the treasurer of the chapel. "This," said he,
"is one-half of my first. fee. Take it, that it may do good to
others." When the call came for the Massachusetts militia to
rally for the support of their flag, in April, 1861, he sought his
friend and classmate, Col. Lawrence, of the Fifth Massachusetts
Regiment, and told him that his heart was in .the struggle, and
that he had determined to enlist with his regiment ; but, there
being no vacancy for him as an officer, he enlisted as a private
in the Charlestown City-Guards, but was soon promoted by his
classmate to the office of paymaster. At the battle of Bull Run
he manifested great bravery, standing at the colonel s side, even

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 441

when urged to He down, when shot and shell were coming
against them like an avalanche. Col. Lawrence publicly stated,
soon after his return, that he owed his life to the chivalrous exer
tions of his friend. Returning to Massachusetts with his regi
ment, his military taste was again gratified by his appointment
as adjutant of the Eighteenth. The universal testimony of his
intimate friends is, that he was of a frank and generous nature,
amiable and warm-hearted, and enjoyed the esteem and respect
of all his classmates and friends. The noble object to which he
devoted, and in the end gave up, his life, is a guaranty to the
world that their confidence was not misplaced. An officer
of his regiment, at his funeral, said of him, "He had a good
word for everybody. He was kind and obliging to all. He
gained the respect and regard of both officers and men."

He was never married.

1855. Rev. WILLIAM WARD MERIAM was murdered
3 July, 1862, on his way from Constantinople to Philippopolis.
He was born in Princeton, Mass., 15 September, 1830; and
was therefore 31 years old at the time of his death. After
the death of his father, in 1834, his mother removed with
her four children to Cambridgeport, where she resided until her
death in 1850. The subject of this notice was fitted for college
at the high school in Cambridgeport. In 1850, he became
deeply impressed with the importance of a religious life ; and
the next year he united with the Orthodox Congregational
church in Cambridgeport. Immediately after leaving college,
he entered the Andover Theological Seminary, where he
graduated in 1858. Having resolved to devote his life to
missionary services, he married, 1 September, 1858, Susan
Dimond, of Cambridgeport ; and was ordained at the same
place, 29 November of that year. He sailed from Boston
for his mission, with his wife and several other missionary
laborers, 17 January, 1859 ; arrived at Smyrna 22 Febru
ary, and at Adrianople 22 April. After spending some
months at the latter place, studying the Turkish language, he
went in October, with Mr. Clark, another missionary, to the
new station Philippopolis (Western Turkey) , which was subse-



quently the field of his labors. He had greatly endeared him
self to the people in the vicinity of his residence ; had just
acquired a knowledge of the Turkish language, and was pre
pared to prosecute his work successfully. In May, 1862, he
made a tour through sixty or seventy villages in the neighbor
hood of his residence. At the time of his death, he was on his
way home from Constantinople, where he had been to attend the
annual meeting of the missionaries of Western Turkey. His
wife and child and one or two missionaries were with him ; when
the party were met by a company of five mounted brigands, by
whom Mr. Meriam and one of his companions were killed.
Mrs. Meriam carried the body of her husband forty-eight long
and weary hours, in order that she might bury it in the home
of his mission-life ; but the shock to her own system was too
great for her to bear, and she died of typhoid-fever on the 25th
of July, twenty-three days after the death of her husband.
She was a graduate of the Cambridge High School, and for
many years a most successful teacher in the public schools of the
place. Three of the five brigands were afterwards arrested,
were tried, convicted, and were all executed on the 8th of
January, 1862.

The child of Mr. Meriam arrived at Boston, 12 May, in the
bark " Smyrniote " from Smyrna, in good health ; and found
a new home in the family of Mr. J. N. Meriam, in Cam

1858. GEORGE BRADFORD CHADWICK, of Boston, died
in Northampton, Mass., 12 August, 1861. He was the third
of four children, and only son of Dr. George (D.C. 1825)
and Susan Brewster (Gilbert) Chadwick, and was born in
Ipswich, Mass., 3 January, 1836. His father graduated at
Dartmouth College with the second honors of his class. After
leaving college, he pursued the study of medicine ; and, having
received the degree of M.D. in 1828, he began the practice of
Ms profession in Ipswich, where his four children were born.
Shortly after the birth of his fourth child, he relinquished the
practice of medicine, removed to Chelsea, and began business
as a merchant, in Milk Street, Boston, with his brother-in-law,

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 443

Samuel S. Gilbert, under the firm of Gilbert and Chadwick.
His mother was daughter of Hon. Benjamin Joseph Gilbert, of
Hanover, N. H. (Y. C. 1786) , a lawyer by profession ; and mar
ried Sally Shepard, of Boston. His great-grandfather, Joseph
Gilbert, was a native of Brookfield, Mass. The father of the
subject of this notice took a severe cold in the autumn of 1843,
which resulted in a rapid consumption ; and he died, 11 Novem
ber of that year, at the house of his father-in-law, who had
removed from Hanover to Boston.

Young Chadwick first entered the Adams School, in Mason
Street, Boston. He was afterwards transferred to the Brimmer
School, where a Franklin medal was awarded to him in 1850.
He that year entered the Boston Latin School, where he re
mained a little more than a year ; and then entered the private
Latin school of Epes Sargent Dixwell (H.C. 1857), in Boyls-
ton Place, where he completed his studies for entering college,
leaving the school in January, 1854. While in college, he
held a respectable rank of scholarship. He had a strong par
tiality for architecture ; and, at commencement, an essay was
assigned to him : the subject was, "Architecture in the United
States." After leaving college, he studied architecture for some
time under the instruction of Mr. George Snell, of Boston ;
and intended to make that business his profession.

1858. JAMES JACKSON LOWELL was born in Cambridge,
Oct. 15, 1837. He was the second son and fourth child of
Charles Russell and Anna Cabot (Jackson) Lowell, and the
grandson of Rev. Charles Lowell, D.D. (H.C. 1800), and of
Patrick T. Jackson. He was fitted for college at the private
school of Rev. Thomas Russell Sullivan, and at the Boston
Latin School, where he took the first rank. Early in the fresh
man year, he was acknowledged to be the first scholar in his
class ; a place which he held without dispute through his college
course. After graduation, he taught private pupils in Cam
bridge for a year ; and then entered the Law School, while still
continuing his private instruction and residing with his parents
in Cambridge. At the breaking-out of the rebellion, he became
an interested member of a drill-club which was formed in Cam-


bridge, and has since furnished many excellent officers to the
army. In July, 1861, he joined the Twentieth Massachusetts
Eegiment as first lieutenant in Capt. Schmitt s company.

On 21 October, 1861, he was wounded in the thigh at
Ball s Bluff; passing several weeks at home in consequence.
He rejoined his regiment as soon as he was fit, and, in the ab
sence of the captain, took the command of his company, which
he retained through the Peninsula campaign, until, during the
" seven days," he was wounded mortally in the battle of Glen-
dale, June 30. He was left in the hands of the enemy, it being
the opinion of the surgeons that he could not live more than a
few hours. He lingered, however, until the fourth of .July,
a day most fitting to be associated thus with the memory of this
patriot soldier. His whole bearing, after receiving the fatal
wound, was marked by a characteristic composure and undemon
strative fortitude. He bade his men go forward without mind
ing him. To a fellow-officer he said that his wound was similar
to that of his cousin, William Lowell Putnam, at Ball s Bluff,
whom he spoke of meeting shortly. The only message which
he sent home was to the effect that he was doing his duty when
he fell; and, after he was left in the enemy s hands, so clearly
and so dispassionately did he talk of the nature of the war,
and of the reasons which had led him to devote his life to it,
that our surgeons, who had remained to care for the wounded,
told the rebel officers to talk with him if they wished to see how
a true and brave Northern soldier thought and felt.

Some weeks elapsed before certain news concerning his death
reached his family ; but at length the return of one of his fellow-
prisoners put it beyond doubt. Few have fallen so widely
lamented, or have been felt to be a greater loss to the com
munity, as was manifested by the heartfelt tributes which were
paid to his memory in very numerous letters to his parents, in a
printed sermon by Eev. C. A. Bartol, D.D. (Bowd. C. 1832),
and in many other ways. Nor can the loss of one whose character
was so living ever cease to be freshly felt. His springing step, his
cheery voice, his eye shining with a deep interior light, are inti
mately associated, to all who knew him, with the Cambridge streets

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 445

and walks. The outward bearing marked the quality of the man.
There was a charm in his whole air and manner that attracted
even the chance beholder ; the more because he was himself so
unconscious of it. A lover of nature and natural things, he
was thoroughly and entirely natural. Simple, pure, and wise,
abstemious in personal tastes and habits, reticent of his judg
ment of others, he was severe in his judgment of himself, so
that he might almost have been called ascetic, but for the fresh
and hearty enjoyment which he took in all social pleasures.

He had a singular truthfulness, which sometimes put on the
appearance of bluntness ; nor did he conceal the quick displeas
ure which moved him at any deception or ungenerosity : but he
was equally ready to more than repair any fault of impulse.
His unobtrusive kindness was continually occupied in quiet
benefits. Deliberate in decision, he was speedy in thought : his
mind worked carefully and surely, as well as quickly, in its pro
cesses ; although he weighed the practical results of his conclu
sions with the utmost care, and was slow to take an irrevocable

A high and delicate honor, loyalty to the principles of truth
and freedom, a fine sense of justice, which was instinctive, took
in him the place of a natural aptitude for Avar, which he had not
especially. At his second college exhibition, he had spoken on
"Loyalty." In a military note-book for his private use, he had
written the motto, from one old French army list, "The true
characteristic of a perfect warrior should be fear of God, love of
country, respect for the laws, preference of honor to pleasures,

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 40 of 49)