Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 41 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 41 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and to life itself." It was the unconscious statement of the prin
ciples w^hich led him into the service of his country. He went
calmly and seriously, because he felt it to be his duty to go.
He comprehended the nature and importance of the contest ; and,
realizing fully the personal danger also, was willing to give his
life to the cause. In a letter to some classmates who had pre
sented him with a sword, written in the spring of 1862, he said,
almost prophetically, " When the class meets in years to come,
... let the score who went to fight for their country be remem
bered with honor and praise ; and let not those who never


returned be forgotten, those who died for the cause, not of
the constitution and the laws (a superficial cause : the rebels
have the same) , but of civilization and law, and the self-restrained
freedom which is their result."

Such a noble spirit can never be forgotten. Honorable by
blood and name and nature, devotedly beloved, rarely gifted in
all intellectual and moral qualities, pre-eminent among his fel
lows, who rejoiced in that undisputed pre-eminence, their pride
and affection follow him with fresh sorrow, and yet wdth joy
that a heroic death was permitted to round and complete a life
short in years, but long in the acquisition of those gifts and
graces which are among the possessions of the soul, and can
never die.

1858. NATHANIEL EUSSELL, of Plymouth, Mass., died at
Drummondtown, Accomac county, Va., 25 March, 1862, aged
24 years. He was son of Nathaniel (H.C. 1820) and Catha
rine Elizabeth (Elliott) Russell, and was born in Plymouth,
13 June, 1837. He was fitted for college at the high-school
in Plymouth, under John William Hunt (Mid. C. 1847), and
afterwards under Franklin Crosby. He had a particular partiality
for vessels ; for any kind of navigable craft. He intended to
be a merchant, and become interested in navigation. Soon after
leaving college, he became attached to the United-States Coast
Survey, under Capt. Harrison, of Plymouth, stationed in Eastern
Virginia. His death was sudden : on the 18th of March, he
was attacked with lung-fever, and died one week afterwards.
He was a young man of frank, cordial manners, and was en
deared to all his acquaintances. Retiring and quiet, almost
self-distrustful, as he was, his unaffected simplicity and open-
heartejlness could not fail to win him friends. Kind, affec
tionate, devotedly fond of his relatives and friends, an upright
man and sincere Christian, he has gone early to receive the re
wards of a life well spent.

1858. FRANK HOWARD SHORE Y died in Dedham, Mass.,
24 January, 1862, aged 24 years. He was son of John and
Cornelia (Guild) Shorey, and was born in Boston, 2 Novem
ber, 1837. His father was a merchant in Boston: he died

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 447

about ten years since. His mother was a native of Dedham :
but, on her marriage, she removed to Boston, where she resided
five or six years ; after which she returned to Dedham, and has
since resided there. He was fitted for college at the Dedham
High School. He entered Dartmouth College, where he re
mained two years ; then left, and entered the junior class in
Harvard. He attained a high rank of scholarship in his class,
and graduated with distinction. He was a very good belles-
lettres scholar, and possessed great love for the natural sci
ences. Botany was to him a favorite pursuit. After leaving
college, he studied law, under the instruction of Thomas La
fayette AYakefield, of Boston (D.C. 1843) ; and was admitted
to the Suffolk bar in December, 1849. He immediately began
the practice of his profession in Boston, with cheering prospects
of success. Soon afterwards he became a member of the. Epis
copal church in Dedham, of which the Rev. Samuel Brazer
Babcock (H.C. 1830), is rector. About a year before his
death, the fatal signs of consumption appeared. He was patient
in suffering, waiting calmly the result. His whole life was
beautifully consistent, pure ; and his death was serene and
cheerful. He was never known to swerve from moral rectitude ;
and yet, with delicate sensitiveness, he discarded self-merit, and
died with the Saviour s name upon his lips, as his only but per
fect hope. He was never married.

1859. Major HEXRY JACKSON How was killed in one of
the battles fought during a retreat of the army from Fair Oaks
to Malverton, on James river, 30 June, 1862. He was son of
Phineas and Tryphena (Wheeler) How ; was born in Haver-
hill, Mass., 22 October, 1835 ; and was therefore 26 years old
at the time of his death. He was fitted for college at Phillips
Academy, Andover, Mass., and entered in 1854, but left in the
first term, in his freshman year. He re-entered in the class of
the next year. After leaving college, he was engaged most
of the time in the manufacture of hats, until the breaking-out of
the rebellion, when he resolved to devote himself to the cause
of his country. He entered into the service with his whole
soul, and proceeded at once to raise a company, which was


attached to the 19th regiment. He was a fine soldier ; six feet
in height ; of splendid personal appearance, great physical
power, and indomitable courage. He received a commission as
major. The regiment left for Washington on the 28th of Au
gust last, and was stationed on the Upper Potomac. Major How
was engaged in much active service, and exhibited the utmost
intrepidity on the battle-field, until, at last, his life was sacri
ficed in the cause to which he has so nobly devoted himself.

1860. JULIUS SEDGWICK HOOD, of Lynn, Mass., died
in Louisville, Ky., 21 December, 1861, aged 21 years. He
was son of George and Hermione (Breed) Hood, and was
born in Lynn, 7 October, 1840. His father was son of
Abner and Mary (Richardson) Hood; was born in Lynn,
10 November, 1806. While young, he removed with his
parents to Nahant, where he passed his youth, with the excep
tion of a few years which he spent at school in Hanover, N.H.
Having, by his own unaided exertions, accumulated a small
capital, he went, in 1827, to St. Louis, Mo., where, in com
pany with John C. Abbott, he established a boot-and-shoe
business, in which he was interested until 1841. Returning to
Lynn in 1835, he established himself in Boston as a commission
boot, shoe, and leather merchant ; in which business he con
tinued until his death. He for some time took an active part
in public life, being for several years a member of the Massa
chusetts legislature. He was also, in 1850, the first mayor of
Lynn, and was re-elected in 1851 ; and a member of the Massa
chusetts constitutional convention in 1853. He died 27 June,
1859. His mother was born in Lynn, 18 March, 1812. She
was daughter of Aaron Breed, born in 1761, a soldier in the
revolutionary war, and an adjutant in the war of 1812. He
was also a member of the state legislature for several years.
He died in 1817. The subject of this notice was fitted for
college at the Lynn High School, under Mr. Jacob Batchelder
and Mr. Gordon Bartlett. In college, his attainments in schol
arship were distinguished, and he graduated with the second
honors of his class. On account of his feeble health, he did
not enter upon the study of any profession or upon any busi-

1861-62.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 449

ness. A few weeks before his death, he left his home in Lynn
for Lexington, where he had a brother residing ; hoping, in a
more congenial climate, to regain his lost strength, or, at least,
to lengthen a life so dear to those who looked to him for counsel


and assistance. "His death," writes one who knew him well,
"w^as calm and beautiful : he felt more than willing to go and
do the work and achieve the usefulness there which he had hoped
to do here." He was a true and warm-hearted friend ; a man
strong in principle, and earnest in a Christian life.

1860. WILLIAM MATTICKS ROGERS died of typhoid fe
ver, in the army, near Richmond, June, 1862. He was the
only son of Rev. William Matticks (H.C. 1827) and Adelia
(Strong) Rogers, and was born in Boston, 26 October, 1838.
He was fitted for college at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.
He held a respectable rank of scholarship, and was greatly be
loved by his classmates. He was one of the class-committee.
Immediately after graduating, he went to Europe, and began the
study of law and of the German language in Heidelberg, where
he remained one year; and, when the rebellion broke out, he at
once determined to devote himself to the cause of his country.
He immediately returned, and enlisted as a private in Company
A, of the Eighteenth Massachusetts Regiment. He was soon
afterwards made a sergeant, and, subsequently, sergeant-major.
Had his life been spared, he would probably soon have received
a commission. But it was otherwise ordered : his life was
sacrificed while contending for the preservation of the Union.




1791. Dr. JOHN WALTON died in Pepperell, Mass., 21
December, 1862, aged 92 years. He was the son of John and
Keziah (Yiles) Walton, and was born in Cambridge, Mass.,
29 October, 1770. He was fitted for college in his native
place. He held a respectable rank in his class, and graduated
with honors. He studied medicine under the instruction of Dr.
Oliver Prescott, of Groton, Mass. (H.C. 1783), and settled in
Pepperell ; where he practised his profession for more than sixty
years, and was much respected by the people of the town of
which he was so long a resident. On the 4th of September,
1832, he was chosen a deacon of the Unitarian church in Pep
perell. He never held a political office.

He married, in Newton, Mary Bullard, by whom he had
seven sons and one daughter ; of whom the daughter and three
sons survived him. His wife died in the spring of 1848.

1801. Eev. JOHN OKILL STUAKT died in Kingston,
C.W., 5 October, 1862, aged 86 years. He was son of Rev.
John Stuart, and was born in the missionary-house at Fort
Hunter, on the banks of the Mohawk Eiver, N.Y., 29 June,
1776. His father was the last missionary to the Mohawk
nation. In 1787, at the age of eleven years, he was placed
at school in the academy in Schenectady, N.Y. (now Union
College), where he received instruction preparatory to his
reception into a higher seminary. In 1792, he was sent to
the academy at Windsor, N.S., where he remained two years.
In 1795, he was appointed teacher of a public grammar-
school in Kingston, and continued in that office and employ
ment till June, 1798 ; and that year he entered the sophomore
class in Harvard College ; but he did not remain with the class
much more than a year, although he received his degree with

1862-63.] OP HARVARD COLLEGE. 451

the others of the class who had gone through the whole course^
In June, 1800, he was ordained as minister of the United
Church of England and Ireland by Dr. Mountain, bishop of
Quebec ; and, in 1801, was appointed missionary, by the Society
for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, at York (now
Toronto), C.W., at that time the seat of government. There
he served his vocation and ministry from 1800 to 1812 ; estab
lished a congregation, and built a church ; and, on the decease
of his father (who was rector of St. George s in Kingston), by
invitation of the congregation, and upon application to the
bishop, he was appointed his successor; and, in 1812, removed
from York (now Toronto) to Kingston. From 1812 to 1822,
he served the congregation at Kingston as their parish minister ;
and, in the latter year, he was collated by the bishop to be
archdeacon of York, in the diocese of Quebec. In 1839, when
the diocese of Quebec was divided, and Toronto taken from it,
he resigned his commission, and was collated by the bishop to
be archdeacon of Kingston, in the diocese of Toronto, and con
tinued in that office until 1862 ; when, on the subdivision of
the diocese of Toronto into that of Ontario, he surrendered his
commission of archdeacon of Kingston, and was preferred to be
dean of Ontario. In 1830, he had an assistant-minister to St.
George s, who continued his aid and work, he, however, con
tinuing as rector of St. George s ; and, at the time of his death,
was one of the officiating clergymen in the cathedral of the
diocese of Ontario, in the city of Kingston. Therefore, for
more than sixty years, he resided in nearly the same place ;
preaching to a people to whom his whole course of life, and
all his sayings and doings, were known, and retaining and
enjoying their respect and esteem. He was not brilliant, nor
particularly gifted, nor very learned ; but he had great moral
worth. In all his communications, he was perfectly sincere,
wholly free from artifice, deception, guile. With an exterior
somewhat grave and reserved, almost stern, he had ardent
and warm attachments. In communing with him, one felt
a perfect satisfaction that he was truthful in all he said.
Without making professions of attachment, he was always
inclined to do kind things whenever it was in his power.


He married, 2 October, 1803, Lucy Brooks, daughter of
Gov. John Brooks, of Medford, with whom he became ac
quainted in 1798, during a residence of several months in the
town, completing his studies for admission into college. She
died in 1813, leaving one son, George Okill Stuart, the only
surviving male descendant of Gov. Brooks, a counsellor-at-
law of high standing, who has been mayor of Quebec. He
married a second wife, Ann Ellice Stuart, who died in King
ston, 28 November, 1836, aged 70 years.

1802. HENRY ADAMS died in Somerville, Mass., 13 No
vember, 1862, aged 83 years. He was son of Rev. Zabdiel
(H.C. 1759) and Elizabeth (Stearns) Adams; was the ninth
of eleven children, ten of whom lived to adult age ; and was
born in Lunenburg, Mass., 13 May, 1777. His father was
son of Ebenezer Adams, of Quincy, Mass., where he was born
5 November, 1739 ; was ordained at Lunenburg, 5 September,
1764; died 1 March, 1801, aged 61 years. His mother was
daughter of Rev. David (H.C. 1728) and Ruth (Hubbard)
Stearns : she was born in Lunenburg, 20 April, 1742 ; and
died August, 1800, aged 58 years. His father was successor
of her father in the church of Lunenburg. The subject of
this notice was fitted for college, partly at Groton Academy, and
partly by Dr. John Hosmer, of Medford. He studied law with
his brother, Zabdiel Boylston Adams (H.C. 1791), in Charles-
town, Mass., where he afterwards practised his profession.
Subsequently he resided for about four years in Richmond, Va. ,
where he taught a private school ; then returned, and again
practised his profession in Ashburnham, Mass., where he resided
about four years. Thence he removed to Lexington, Mass.,
having relinquished his profession ; and, for the last twenty years
of his life, he resided in Somerville, where he devoted himself to
agricultural pursuits, to which he had a great partiality.

He married, 1 January, 1806, Susan Forster, daughter of
Jacob and Rebecca Forster, of Charlestown, Mass., by whom
he had three children (all sons), of whom the only survivor is
Edwin Forster Adams, a merchant in Boston. His wife died in
Lexington, 12 January, 1834. He married for his second

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 453

wife, 8 October, 1835, Sarah K. Hawkins, daughter of Col.
Nathaniel Hawkins, of Somerville, then a part of Charlestown.
She died without issue, in Somerville, 17 December, 1851. He
married for his third wife, 4 November, 1852, Mrs. Arphia
Besent, a widow, of Cambridgeport, whose former husband was
a foreigner. She survives him.

1802. ANDREW RITCHIE died in Newport, R.L, 7 Au
gust, 1862, aged 80 years. He was son of Andrew and
Isabella (Montgomery) Ritchie, and was born in Boston, 18
July, 1782. He was fitted for college at Phillips Academy in
Andover. He held a distinguished rank of scholarship, and
graduated with the second honors of his class ; but, when he
took his degree of master of arts in 1805, the valedictory
oration was assigned to him. He studied law in the office of


Rufus Greene Amory (H.C. 1778), and practised his profes
sion in Boston. Having inherited an ample competency, he did
not aim at distinction at the bar, although his legal attainments
were of the first order. On the 4th of July, 1808, he delivered
the annual oration before the town authorities of Boston, in
which he said, " We are not required, like young Hannibal, to
approach the altar, and vow eternal hatred to a rival nation ; but
we will repair to the neighboring heights, at once the tombs and
everlasting monuments of our heroes, and swear, that, as they
did, so would we rather sacrifice our lives than our country."
On the morning of the day when he delivered this oration, the
Hon. Fisher Ames died in Dedham. In his address, while
alluding to Bonaparte, he said, w His conduct has declared,
plainer than language can express, that he will endure no neu
trals ; and that, too, under a persuasion that we dare not
become his enemy. If we are thus summoned to take our side
in this momentous contest, which will in a few years determine
the political destiny of the civilized world, let the alternative
be decided by the intelligence, the virtue, and patriotism of the
country." He then uttered the following apostrophe on the
death of Mr. Ames: "But, alas! the immortal Ames, who,
like Ithuriel, was commissioned to discover the insidious foe, and
point out our danger, has accomplished his embassy, and, on


this morning of our independence, has ascended to heaven.
Spirit of Demosthenes ! couldst thou have been a silent and
invisible auditor, how wouldst thou have been delighted to hear
from his lips those strains of eloquence which once, from thine,
enchanted the assemblies of Greece ! "

Mr. Ritchie married, 27 March, 1807, Maria Cornelia
Durant, daughter of Cornelius Durant, a West-India planter.
Her father was an officer of the revolution ; was afterwards for
many years an eminent merchant of Boston, where he died
5 May, 1812, aged 80 years. In consequence of this marriage,
after the death of his father-in-law, Mr. Ritchie became, by
right of his wife, owner of a plantation in the Island of St.
Croix. By the Danish law, he, to retain possession of the
estate, was required to reside there ; and for many years this was
his place of residence, although he often visited Boston, and
spent a great part of his time in the United States. He there
fore did not long practise his profession. His wife died in
Paris, France, without issue.

He married for his second wife, 9 December, 1823, Sophia
Harrison Otis, daughter of Hon. Harrison Gray Otis, of Boston
(H.C. 1783), by whom he had three children, two sons and
one daughter, who, with their mother, survive him. The sons
graduated at Harvard College respectively in 1845 and 1846 ;
and the daughter is the wife of a physician in Paris, France.

1805. MOSES GILL died in Shrewsbury, Mass., 21 Au
gust, 1862, aged 81 years. He was son of Michael and Anna
(Gill) Gill, and was born in Westminster, Mass., 20 Decem
ber, 1780 ; but removed to Princeton, Mass., with his parents,
when two years of age, where he passed his youthful days. His
parents were cousins ; his mother being daughter of John Gill,
of the firm of Edes and Gill, well known as printers in Boston.
He was born in Charlestown, Mass. ; served a regular appren
ticeship with Samuel Kneeland, and married one of Kneeland s
daughters. He died 25 August, 1785. He was nephew of
Hon. Moses Gill, who was lieutenant-governor of Massachu
setts, and acting-governor from 7 June, 1799, to 20 May,

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 455

It being the wish of his uncle (Gov. Gill) that he should
have a collegiate education, he left him, by his will, ample
means for his support while in college, and during his subse
quent life ; but this provision was not carried into effect, for his
uncle s will was destroyed at his decease. He was fitted for
college partly by Rev. Joseph Russell (Y.C. 1793), of Prince
ton, and partly at Leicester Academy. On leaving college, he
taught school for some time in Dorchester and Charlestown,
Mass. He then began the study of divinity at Suffield, Conn.,
and finished his studies with Rev. Ebenezer Gay (Y.C. 1787),
of that place. He received his license to preach, after having
been thoroughly examined as to his views and qualifications, at
Boylston, Mass., 29 June, 1808, by the unanimous vote of the
association in that vicinity. He was a teacher in Boston, pub
lic and private, from 1812 till 1829 ; preaching occasionally
during the time. He then, owing to ill health, removed into
the country, which it was thought prolonged his life. After
leaving Boston, he taught in Waltham, Chelmsford, and Acton,
during the winter seasons ; attending to agriculture in the sum
mers. He also taught in Boylston, Northbridge, and Shrews
bury, until within a few years of his death, when he met with a
fall which disabled him from walking, except with crutches ; and
had also other infirmities, which he endured patiently. He was
one of the school-committee in Shrewsbury about five years ; was
chairman and secretary most of the time. He died suddenly ;
having been as comfortable as usual during the summer, until
the morning of his death, when he was taken ill, and survived
but a few hours, passing away without a struggle. He was of
a cheerful, mild temperament, enjoying the company of his
friends, kind and sympathizing, an affectionate husband and

He married, 2 October, 1810 (at that time teaching in
Roxbury), Mary Baldwin, daughter of Capt. Henry Baldwin,
of Shrewsbury, in which town she was born 2 July, 1787.
The issue of this marriage was two children, a son and a
daughter, both of whom, with their mother, survived him.

1806. DANIEL HENSHAW died in Boston 9 July, 1863,


aged 81 years. He was son of Col. William and Phebe
(Swan) Henshaw, and was born in Leicester, Mass., 9 May,
1782. His father was born in Boston in 1735, and removed to
Leicester in 1748. He was an officer in the revolutionary
army. He died February, 1820, at the age of 85 years. His
mother was daughter of Dudley Wade and Beulah Swan, of
Leicester, where she was born 12 January, 1758 ; and died

5 November, 1808, aged 55 years. The subject of this notice
was fitted for college at Leicester Academy. After leaving
college, he studied law in part with Nathaniel Paine Denny
(H.C. 1797), of Leicester, and in part with Judge Nathaniel
Paine (H.C. 1778), of Worcester. He practised his profession
twenty-one years in Winchester, Mass. In 1830, he was prac
tising in Worcester, and afterwards for several years in Lynn,
where he had the management of a public newspaper, the
" Lynn Record." On becoming an editor, he gave up his pro
fessional business, and continued for fourteen years in the arduous
and responsible place of leading editor of a paper ; and, after that
period, often contributed valuable and interesting articles, chiefly
of a biographical or historical character, to sundry newspapers,
which were read with interest. He had a great taste for gene
alogy, and a fund of wit. He read many amusing papers
before the Historic-Genealogical Society, several of which were
published in the Boston papers. After his connection with the
paper in Lynn had terminated, he removed to Boston ; where he
resided with the exception of a year or two in Wisconsin
with a relative until his death.

He married, 19 November, 1821, Deborah Starkweather,
daughter of Deacon Charles Starkweather, of Worthington,
Mass., where she was born 2 November, 1796. She died

6 July, 1851, leaving two daughters and one son.

1809. Hon. WILLIAM ELLIOTT died in South Carolina,
February, 1863, aged 74 years. He was son of William Elliot,
and was born in Beaufort, S.C., 27 April, 1788. He entered
college at the age of 18, and took a very high rank of scholar
ship in his class ; standing as the second, Samuel Bird ranking
as the first, scholar in the class. On account of ill health, how-

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 457

ever, he was obliged to return home before completing his
academical career ; but his degree was conferred upon him by
the government in 1810, the year after his class graduated.
For many years he* devoted himself to the management of his
estates, and served with credit in both branches of the state
legislature. During the nullificationrcrisis in South Carolina in
1832, he held the office of senator in the state legislature, but
resigned upon being instructed by his constituents to vote to

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 41 of 49)