Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 43 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 43 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

R.I., who derived his descent from Sir George Pike, Bart., of
the Isle of Wight. The issue of this marriage was twelve
children: viz., 1. John Pike, born at Middletown, N.J.,
12 April, 1827 ; a lawyer at White Plains. 2. Mary Abi
gail, born at Freehold, N.J., 28 April, 1827 ; married A. W.
Lobdell, of North Salem, in 1860. 3. James Mason, born in
Middletown, N.J., in 1831 ; died in infancy. 4. Emily Maria,
born in Middletown, 4 February, 1832. 5. Oliver Richardson,
born in Middletown, 20 November, 1833. 6. James Henry, born
in New- York city, 15 December, 1835. 7. Caroline Hall,
born in New York, 12 February, 1838 ; died at the age of six
months. 8. Caroline Hall, born in North Salem, 27 March,
1840. 9. Horatio Gates, born in North Salem, 12 February,
1842. 10. Everett Lent, born in North Salem, 18 July, 1843 ;
died in infancy. 11. Henry Clay, born in North Salem, 28
November, 1844. 12. George Mead, born in North Salem, 25
June, 1847. His wife survived him.

In a letter to one of his classmates, he says, "As I began to
teach before I entered college, and taught every winter- and two
summer- vacations while there, and have continued teaching in
college or academy ever since, I may take rank among the oldest
teachers in the country. There are comparatively few who have
taught for thirty-six years continuously. During that period, I
have helped to form, or rather to develop, the minds of many
who were afterwards distinguished and useful. Several of my
early scholars have been members of Congress. I therefore trust
I have done some good in my day ; and, though I have acquired
no great amount of wealth or fame, I have ascertained that a
good degree of happiness may exist without either."

1862-63.] OP HARVARD COLLEGE. 469

At the time of his death, three of his sons were in the army :
one a captain, and another a sergeant, in the 25th Connecticut
Volunteers, under Banks; and the third, fife-major in the 17th
Connecticut Volunteers, under Sigel. The eldest son had been
connected with the army for the previous eighteen months, and
was about to resume the practice of the law at White Plains.

1823. CHARLES CARROLL died in Baltimore, Md., Decem
ber, 1862, aged 61 years. He was son of Charles and Har
riett (Chew) Carroll, and was born in Baltimore, Md., 25 July,
1801. His father was born in Annapolis, Md., and was edu
cated in Liege, Europe. His grandfather, Charles Carroll, of
Carrollton, was born in Annapolis, 20 September, 1737 ; died
14 November, 1832, aged 95 years; and was the last survivor
of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Each of the
three was named Charles, and each was an only son. The
mother of the subject of this notice was a daughter of the chief-
justice of the state of Pennsylvania. After going through his
preliminary studies at home, he was sent to Mount-St. -Mary s
College, near Emmettsburg, a Roman-Catholic institution in
Maryland. He remained there for a year or two ; \vhen his
grandfather, who superintended his studies, determined to give
him the advantages of a European education. In 1817, he
was sent to Paris ; w y here, in company with his cousin, Charles
Carroll Harper, he entered the college of St. Stanislaus, and
remained there three years. After a short tour through Italy
and Switzerland, of which he has left a very interesting diary,
he returned home, and immediately proceeded to Harvard Col
lege ; where, in 1821, he entered the sophomore class. [It
may not be amiss to mention here, that a large portion of his
class became engaged in some disturbances at college only a few
weeks before commencement, and were summarily dismissed :
among them was Mr. Carroll ; and it was not till 1855 that his
degree was forwarded to him by the faculty of the college.]

Having thus completed his course at college, he entered the
law-office of his uncle, Robert Goodloe Harper (N.J.C. 1785),
where he remained two years; and, in 1825, he married Mary
Digges Lee, a grand-daughter of Gov. Thomas Simon Lee,


of Maryland. In November, 1832, his grandfather, having
died, left him his tract of land in Maryland, called Donghoregan
Manor, consisting of about twelve thousand acres, together with
the care of some two hundred slaves. The estate had become
much impoverished ; but Mr. Carroll, by devoting his life to the
improvement of his property, for his own pleasure and the benefit
of his family, succeeded in gathering around him one of the
largest and most respectable tenantries in the state, and, by
judicious management, increased many fold the productive qual
ities of the manor-lands.

He always took a very lively interest in the public questions
of the day ; but the sphere of duties which he had marked out
for himself did not incline him to engage in political life. A
few years since, he built up and enlarged the old Catholic chapel
at the manor, ornamenting it with a marble altar made by the
American artist Bartholomew in Rome, and erecting a hand
some monument to the memory of his grandfather, whose remains
lie there. For some years previous to his death, he had been
afflicted with a very severe catarrh, or, as it is called by some,
"hay fever." This trouble visited him every autumn, causing
great suffering, w r hen finally a disease of the heart became devel
oped, which terminated in dropsy, of which he died. He left a
family of six children living, and three grandchildren, repre
sentatives of a son who died a few months previous. The
" home-quarters " of Donghoregan Manor he devised to his
eldest son of Charles Carroll ; and all the residue of his property
to be divided equally among his children, share and share alike.
He survived his wife only three years ; she having died at the
manor in December, 1859.

Mr. Carroll was greatly endeared to his friends by a remark
ably kind and genial nature, which derived a peculiar attraction
from the ease and refinement of his manners, and found ample
illustration in the liberality with which he ministered the tradi
tional and elegant hospitality of Donghoregan Manor ; a virtue
which he has transmitted with the inheritance to a most worthy
successor in his eldest son, the present proprietor of the old
homestead. He was, in its more exalted sense, a gentleman,



cordial, frank, and honorable in every relation of duty, a
beloved husband and father, a most humane and considerate
master of his servants, and a generous and trusty friend. Pos
sessing, by an hereditary necessity, a large number of slaves at
tached to the manor, he was forced to give much attention to
the questions involved in this relation ; and no man in Maryland
ever brought to it a more liberal and intelligent study : the re
sult was the conclusion which he has expressed in his will, and
in conformity with which his whole conduct through life was
directed, a conviction, namely, that this class of dependants
was too helpless for freedom without the preliminary nurture
and education that alone can make it valuable to its possessor,
and that it is one of the highest and most necessary duties of
the proprietor to bestow that boon upon the slave before he
commits him to the hazards of self-defence. In accordance
with this view, Mr. Carroll has enjoined it upon his children
to give their attention to this preparation, with the further in
timation of his desire that the slaves committed to them shall
not pass into bondage to another generation.

in Germantown, Penn., March, 1863, aged 56 years. His
name was originally William Barn well, but was altered in 1856.
He was son of Col. Robert Gibbs and Elizabeth (Wigg) Barn-
well, and was born in Beaufort, S.C., 27 July, 1806. He
was brother of Hon. Robert Woodward Barnwell (H.C. 1821),
who has been senator in Congress from South Carolina. After
leaving college, he studied law in Litchfield, Conn., and South
Carolina. He was admitted to the bar at Coosawhatchie in
1827. Some time in the month of September, 1831, he expe
rienced a change of heart, relinquished the bar, united himself
with the Episcopal church, and began the study of divinity. He
was ordained deacon in the Episcopal church in Beaufort, S.C.,
14 April, 1833 ; and, in 1834, was ordained by Bishop Bowen,
rector of the Pendleton Church in South Carolina, where he
remained six months. He was then called to Charleston, and
was instituted rector of St. Peter s Church, which was built for
him, and where he continued some twenty years. Then he left,


and came north to Philadelphia, where, he resided a few years.
In 1857, he became insane, and was removed to Germantown,
where he died.

He married, 26 November, 1820, his cousin, Catharine
Osborn. Barnwell, daughter of Edward Barnwell, of Beaufort,
S.C., where she was born 27 April, 1809.

1824. REV. ROBERT BREXT DRANE (name originally
Lillbourne Brent Drane) died of yellow-fever in Wilming
ton, N.C., 16 October, 1862, aged 65 years. He was born
in that part of Maryland which is now in the District of
Columbia, 9 January, 1797. He was fitted for college at
Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass. For a few years after
he graduated, he kept a classical school in Salem, Mass. He
was settled as an Episcopal clergyman in Hagerstown, Md.,
where he remained several years. In 1836, he became rec
tor of St. James Church in Wilmington, N.C. In 1843,
much to the regret of his parishioners, he took charge of a
small college near Louisville, Ky. ; but after a few years, at
the urgent solicitation of his old parishioners, he returned to
Wilmington , where he remained until his death. He was much
beloved by his people, and hardly any man could be more self-
sacrificing and hard-working than he was. In 1843, he published
a brief history of the parish over which he was settled, and
which was one of the oldest in the state. In 1844, the honor
ary degree of doctor of divinity was conferred upon him by
South-Carolina College.

When the troubles incident to the last presidential election
threatened to destroy the Union, he took firm ground to sustain
it ; but when these efforts proved unavailing, and the capture of
Fort Sumter compelled all to decide for the South or the North,
he came out fully and strongly for the former ; and, for the last
year, hardly a man in the town advocated the doctrine of seces
sion with more force and energy. The most prominent members
of his church had long before been ultra secessionists, which
may have influenced him in his course. But this great and
leading congregation is now nearly broken up : of the young
men, a large part have fallen victims to the war; and subse-

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 473

quently the old men and females, with their pastor, fell before
the pestilence, and have gone to that bourn from which no
traveller returns.

He married, May, 1828, Augusta Endicott, daughter of
Captain Moses and Anna (Towne) Endicott, of Danvers,
Mass., where she was born 25 July, 1803 ; by whom he had
two sons, Robert and Henry, the former of whom died about
three years since. His wife died in Wilmington, 7 July, 1847.
.He married afterwards a lady of North Carolina.

1829. Rev. REUBEX BATES died in Stowe, Mass.,
1 December, 1862, aged 54 years. He was son of Caleb and
Mary (Douglas) Bates, and was born in Concord, Mass.,
20 May, 1808. He was fitted for college, partly at the West-
ford and partly at the Groton Academy. Immediately after
leaving college, he entered the Divinity School in Cambridge,
from which he graduated 18 July, 1832. He was faithful as a
student, as he was always faithful in every thing ; but his success
and usefulness in active life surpassed any expectations his class
had formed of him. As he proceeded in his studies in divinity,
it became manifest how the heart was quickening the intellect.
His first sermon in the theological school was a marked suc
cess ; not, indeed, on account of any very new or brilliant
thoughts ; but it was so full of devotion and piety, that it moved
all hearts. In him was fulfilled the saying of Scripture,
"His eye was single, and his whole body full of light." For a
short time after he left Cambridge, he supplied the pulpit in
Saxonville, Mass. He was ordained at New Ipswich, N.H.,
1 June, 1834 ; where he remained until 31 March, 1835, when
he was dismissed at his own request. He was installed at
Ashby, 13 May, 1835. In February, 1844, he went to Havana,
having suffered from an attack of bronchitis. He returned in
June, his health having improved. Two months afterwards,
his health again failed; and he resigned his pastorate, 31 Au
gust, 1845. During the winters of 1845 and 1846, he was
representative from Ashby to the state legislature. His health
having improved, he was installed in Stowe, 18 June, 1846.
In the summer of 1859, his health again compelled him to give



up his parish. He continued, however, to reside among his
people, taking an active interest in every good work ; having
charge, as school-committee, of the public schools, and super
intending the sunday-schools until within about three months
of his decease. Both in Ashby and in Stowe, his labors were
rewarded with much fruit of spiritual and moral good. Very
modest and unassuming, he was independent and fearless in all
his work. He did nothing to be seen of men ; but he labored
with all earnestness, industry, and self-devotion, and with care
ful thought and sound judgment, to see how he could do the
most good. His people felt the power of a steady and strong
influence in favor of rational, practical Christianity ; wherein,
by work and examples, he was faithful to the end.

He married, 11 February, 1835, Sarah Elizabeth, daughter
of Jeremiah Prichard, of New Ipswich, by whom he had two
children, George Prichard, born 7 August, 1836, who is now
a clerk in a mercantile house in Boston ; Charles Francis, born
31 October, 1840, and died 30 April, 1842. His wife died in
Ashby, 10 April, 1842, aged 33 years. He married, for his
second wife, 25 November, 1842, Helen T., widow of Clinton
Atwater, of Michigan, and daughter of Daniel Tuttle, of Bos
ton ; who survives him, and resides in Stowe.

1829. FREDERICK WILLIAM CROCKER died in Barnstable,
Mass., 11 June, 1863, aged 54 years. He was son of David
and Rachel (Bacon) Crocker, and was born in Barnstable,
16 April, 1809. He was fitted for college, in part, at the
Sandwich Academy, under the instruction of Rev. Warren
Goddard (H.C. 1818), and in part at Phillips Academy,
Andover. After graduating, he was for seven years in business
in Barnstable. In February, 1837, he removed to Boston, and
went into the navigation and commission business in company
with James Huckins and Zenas D. Bassett. This connection
continued two years, when it was dissolved ; and he was in busi
ness alone until 1842, when he formed a partnership with Dwight
Ruggles as booksellers. This continued but one year ; and, in
1843, he returned to Barnstable to reside * Inheriting a good
estate, he thenceforth took a deep and earnest interest in the

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 475

improvement of his native town, and identified himself with
its social and literary progress. At the third anniversary of
the Cape-Cod Association, held in Barnstable, 2 August, 1854,
he delivered a humorous and appropriate poem, subsequently
printed in the "Yarmouth Register. He was, we believe,
a frequent contributor of political and literary articles to the
county journals. His " Song for Harvest," written for an agri
cultural meeting in 1858 (set to the tune of "Old Hundred"),
has much of poetic beauty and merit. The annual meetings of
his class have been much indebted to him for very racy and
witty contributions, as well as for the remarkably kindly arid
genial spirit which he invariably brought with him. Few of
the class possessed more striking characteristics ; and very few
classes or communities of men can show a more honest and
truthful man than Frederick William Crocker. A hearty hater
of cant and shams of every description, he knew how to appre
ciate every sterling and generous characteristic in man ; and, to
those in whom he could confide, he proved himself a warm and
true friend. In 1855, he was appointed, by the Supreme Court
of Massachusetts, clerk of the courts for the county of Barn-
stable. After the amendment of the constitution of the state,
requiring election by the people to the county offices, he was
elected to the same office with but a single dissenting vote, a
rare instance of almost unanimity.

He married, 6 April, 1851, Louisa G. Sawyer, of Bolton,
Mass., by whom he had four children, who, with their mother,
survived him.

In this class, the following members had died prior to 1851 :
viz., Nathaniel F. Derby, of Salem, who died 13 July, 1830 ;
Henry B. McLellan, of Boston, who died 4 September,
1833 ; Andrew Ritchie, of Boston, who died at Palermo,
Sicily, 10 July, 1837 ; Albert Locke, of Lowell, who died
26 September, 1840 ; William Emerson Foster, of Boston,
who died 23 January, 1843 ; John Rogers Thurston, who
died 23 November, 1843 ; John Parker Bullard, of Clinton,
La., who died 29 January, 1845; Nicholas Devereux, of
Salem, who died 2 March, 1848 ; Solomon Martin Jenkins,


of Easton, Md., who died 15 May, 1848 ; John Hubbard, of
South Berwick, Me., who died 3 October, 1848.

1829. Dr. WILLIAM YOUNG died in Hingham, Mass.,
1 July, 1863, aged 54 years. He was son of Alexander and
Mary (Loring) Young, and was born in Boston, 12 January,
1809. He was fitted for college in the Boston Latin School,
where a Franklin medal was awarded to him in 1825 for his
good scholarship. While in college, he did not associate
much with his classmates. After graduating, he studied
medicine with Dr. George Cheyne Shattuck (D.C. 1803) ; and
received his degree of M.D. in 1834, when he opened an office
in Essex Street, Boston. After a few years, he relinquished
the practice of his profession, and removed to Scituate, and
subsequently to Hingham, where he remained until his death.

1833. Col. FLETCHER WEBSTER was killed at the second
battle of Bull Eun, Ya., 29 August, 1862, aged 49 years.
He was son of Hon. Daniel (D. C. 1801) and Grace
(Fletcher) Webster, and was born in Portsmouth, N.H.,
23 July, 1813. He was fitted for college at the Boston Latin
School. He held a respectable rank of scholarship ; and such
was his popularity with his associates, that he was chosen class-
orator at the conclusion of their collegiate studies. After
leaving college, he studied law with his father ; was admitted to
the Suffolk bar, and practised his profession in Boston. He
was private-secretary to his father during a portion of the period
when the latter held the office of secretary of state under John
Tyler s administration. In 1843, he became secretary of lega
tion under Hon. Caleb Cushing, who was then sent out as
minister to China. In 1847, he was representative to the state
legislature. In 1850, he was appointed surveyor of the port of
Boston ; an office which he held until the spring of 1861, when
he was removed. Immediately afterwards, on the breaking-out
of the war, he proceeded to raise a regiment ; which was one of
the earliest for the three-years service. In July of that year,
he proceeded to the seat of war ; and from that time he was
assiduously devoted to the practical duties of the field, sealing
and crowning his career by his death in battle. A few

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 477

weeks previously, he was granted a furlough to return home,
and attend the funeral of his youngest daughter, aged thirteen
years. He was also ill himself, and needed rest. He was
urged to address mass-meetings to aid enlistments in Massachu
setts ; but his physician forbade the exertion. During the year,
he had belonged to the corps of Gen. Banks, whom he highly
respected and esteemed ; but was subsequently transferred to
the corps of Gen. McDowell. He died as the great defender
of the Constitution would have been willing to see a son die,
fighting for the defence of the Union.

He married Caroline Story White, daughter of Stephen
White, of Salem. The issue of this marriage was four chil
dren, two sons and two daughters, of whom both of the
sons and one daughter, \vith their mother, survive.

1836. GIIENVILLE TUDOR PHILLIPS, of Boston, died at
the house of his brother, George William Phillips, in Saugus,
Mass., 25 May, 1863, aged 46 years. He was the youngest
son of Hon. John (H.C. 1788) and Sally (Walley) Phillips,
and was born in Boston, 14 August, 1816. His father, who
was son of William and Margaret (Wendell) Phillips, was born
in Boston, 26 November, 1770; was an eminent lawyer; was
president of the senate of Massachusetts ; and was elected, in
May, 1822, the first mayor of Boston. He died 29 May, 1823,
just at the close of the year of his mayoralty. His mother was
daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Hurd) Walley ; was born
25 March, 1772 ; and died 4 November, 1845. He was fitted
for college at the Boston Latin School. After leaving college,
he studied law in the office of Hon. Peleg Sprague (H.C.
1812) and William Gray (H.C. 1829). He was admitted to
the bar in 1839, and began the practice of his profession in
Boston. Soon after the death of his mother, he went to Europe,
where he remained a few years, and then returned home ; but
his parents being dead, and the family broken up, he returned
to Europe, spent some time in England and in Spain, but
made his permanent residence in France, and was absent fifteen
years. His death was very sudden, caused by disease of the
heart, of which he had previously had one attack. He was
never married.


1839. SAMUEL ELIOT GUILD, of Boston, died at his sum
mer residence at Nahant, 16 July, 1862, aged 42 years. He
was son of Benjamin (H.C. 1804) and Eliza (Eliot) Guild,
and was born in Boston, 8 October, 1819. He was fitted for
college at the private school of Henry Eussell Cleveland (H.C.
1827) in Boston. He held a high rank of scholarship in his
class, and graduated with distinction. After leaving college, he
studied law for some time in the office of William Gray (H.C.
1829), afterwards with Theophilus Parsons (H.C. 1815), of
Boston, and completed his studies at the Law School in Cam
bridge. He was admitted to the Suffolk bar in 1841, and
established himself in the practice of his profession in Boston,
where he resided until his decease. He was not ambitious of
public life, and never held or sought office. In the practice
of his profession, he pursued the course which was most conge
nial to his taste, a department which, though it does not bring
the practitioner conspicuously before the public, opens to him an
honorable and useful career. As a chamber-counsel, convey
ancer and manager of property, his good sense, his conscien
tious fidelity to his clients, and his quiet and uniform industry,
gave him all the success which his desires coveted or anticipated.
He was a gentleman of high moral instincts. He was, in early
life, a communicant in the Rev. Dr. Gannett s church, and ever
walked worthily of his religious profession. He was ever ready
to promote the best interests of the community ; kind, charita
ble, endowed with all the amenities of a gentleman, having a
pleasant word for all with whom he might have intercourse.

He married, 9 February, 1847, Elizabeth H., daughter of
Henry Gardner Rice (H.C. 1802), of Boston. The issue
of this marriage was two children, a daughter and a son,
who, with their mother, survive.

1842. Col. WILLIAM LOGAN RODMAN was killed in the
attack on Port Hudson, Miss., 27 May, 1863, at the age of
40 years. He was the only son of Benjamin and Susan (Mor
gan) Rodman, and was born in New Bedford, Mass., 7 March,
1823. He was fitted for college at the Friends Academy in
New Bedford. After graduating, he entered into mercantile

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 479

business. He visited California during the gold fever, and re
turned, by way of Calcutta and the overland route, through
Europe. He was absent about two years ; and with this excep
tion, and his college-life, he was always a resident of New
Bedford. He was a member of the common-council of that
city in 1852 ; and, in 1860 and in 1862, represented wards one
and two of his native city in the legislature. He enlisted in
the service of his country from the purest motives of patriotic
duty ; relinquishing the blessings of friends and home, and all
the attractions which wealth could command, to assume the

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 43 of 49)