Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 45 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 45 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

news and sufferings of the retreat from before Richmond, he
said, "My country is welcome to every drop of my blood."
He was fully persuaded that the war would be fruitless, com
paratively, unless slavery were completely eradicated ; and said,
" I love my wife and children as well as any man ; but I would
engage never to see them again, if thereby I could secure the
eradication of slavery."

He married in 1857, at Hanover, Germany, Louisa Frede-
rica Tellkampf, daughter of Professor Adolf Tellkampf, of that
place. HI left three little girls, the youngest of whom he never
saw. She was born in July, 1861, after he had enlisted in the
army, and bidden what proved to be his last farewell.

1851. Rev. THEODORE TEBBETS died in New- York city,
29 January, 1863, aged 31 years. He was son of Hon. Noah
(Bowd. C. 1822) and Mary Esther (Woodman) Tebbets, and
was born in Parsonsfield, Me., 1 April, 1831. His father, the
son of James (a blacksmith) and Mary (Nutter) Tebbets, was
born in Rochester, N.H., 26 December, 1802; was a lawyer
and circuit-judge of the Qourt of Common Pleas of New Hamp
shire ; and moved from Parsonsfield to Rochester, in November,
1834 or 1835, where he died 9 September, 1844. His mother
was daughter of Jeremiah Hall (D.C. 1794), a lawyer of
Portsmouth, N.H., and Sarah (Chase) Woodman; was born
in Portsmouth, 12 January, 1808 ; and was grand-daughter of
Stephen Chase (H.C. 1764), a merchant of Portsmouth. In
May, 1845, the subject of this notice went to Parsonsfield to
live on a farm ; and in the following August left, and entered

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 491

Phillips Academy in Exeter, N.H. In August, 1847, he
entered Bowdoin College, but returned to Exeter to fit for ad
mission, a year in advance, at Harvard, as all his friends went
to Cambridge. He procured a dismission from Bowdoin, and
entered the sophomore class of Harvard, in August, 1848.
Being entirely without property, he was supported by his own
exertions, and by the funds for assisting poor students at Exeter
and Cambridge. He taught school, in the winter of 1847-8,
in Rochester,- N.H. He attained a high rank of scholarship in
college. He took the first Bowdoin prize for English composi
tion, in the senior year, for a dissertation on " The Characteristics
of a Philosophical History ; " also the prize for Latin prose
composition, for a dissertation, "De Sepulchris Etruscis ;" and,
at commencement, the fifth English oration was assigned to him.
After graduating, he entered the Divinity School at Cambridge,
where he remained till February, 1852. From March, 1852,
to July, 1853, he was teacher of the ancient languages in Exeter
Academy ; and from October, 1854, to July, 1855, was proctor
in college. He was ordained as pastor of the Smith Unitarian
Church in Lowell, as successor of Rev. Henry A. Miles (B.U.
1829), 19 September, 1857. He preached two Sundays, and
was taken with a typhoid-fever, from which he did not recover
entirely for a year. He resigned his pastorate in May, 185fi,
and spent the summer at the Isle of Shoals. In January, 1857,
he received a call from the First Parish in Medford, as suc
cessor of Rev. John Pierpont ; and was installed 15 April, 1857.
In the autumn of 1858, he was attacked Avith symptoms of pul
monary disease, which resulted in a slight hemorrhage in
February, 1859 : he had preached in the mean while, with the
exception of one Sunday. He left New York for the South, 14
February, 1859, and spent the winter in Savannah and Florida ;
but returned in the spring, and resumed preaching. He preached
three half-days, and then was attacked with a severe hemorrhage
from the lungs ; went to the Isle of Shoals, 1 August, where
he remained till 18 November, gaining health and strength.
He went to Savannah again, 14 January, 1860 ; and thence to
Florida, where he remained till 3 May ; thence to Savannah,


and returned to Medford. Finding the life of a minister was
out of the question, he sent in a peremptory resignation ; preached
for the last time, 12 July; and his resignation was accepted
1 August, 1859.

He afterwards went into business as a coal-dealer in Boston,
and opened an office at No. 3, Merchants Exchange ; but was
soon afterwards obliged to relinquish it on account of his health.
The closing years of his life tested and testified to the strength
of his religious faith. With unsurpassed patience, a patience
that veiled itself with cheerfulness, asking neither for sympathy
nor pity, he submitted to the loss of all his most cherished pur
suits. Not only the profession he so loved, but all study and
continuous effort, must be relinquished ; and yet no one ever
heard him refer to baffled hopes, or indicate that he was pecu
liarly unfortunate. His faith in the all-wise Father was the pillar
of fire through the darkness.

His printed works were several articles in the " Monthly Re
ligious Magazine ; " also a sermon in the same magazine for
May, 1858, on " The Revival ; " "A Memoir of the late Judge
Tebbets, of New Hampshire ; " "A Memoir of William Gib

He married, 3 June, 1857, Ellen Sever, daughter of Col.
John and Anna Dana Sever, of Kingston, Mass. They had
one son, John Sever, born 4 July, 1858.

1852. Dr. SAMUEL FOSTER HAVEN was killed at the bat
tle of Fredericksburg, 13 December, 1862, aged 30 years. He
was the only son of Samuel Foster (H.C. 1826) and Lydia
Gibbon (Sears) Haven, and was born at the house of his grand
father, Hon. Samuel Haven (H.C. 1789), in Dedham, Mass.,
20 May, 1831. In August of the same year, he went with
his parents to live in Dracut, Mass., where they resided a little
more than one year. They then removed to Lowell, where his
father practised law. After living there three years, he spent
the winter of 1835-6 in Dedham. In April, 1836, he was
sent to Salem to live with a private family. About a year af
terwards, he returned to Dedham; and soon afterwards went to
a boarding-school in Needham, where he remained three years.

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 493

In 1839, he went to live in Worcester with his father, who had
removed thither in 1837, where he now resides, and holds the
office of librarian of the Antiquarian Society. The subject of
this notice was fitted for college at the Worcester High School.

In January, 1853, he began his medical studies in the
office of Dr. Henry Sargent, of Worcester ; and was next in the
Medical School at Boston. The last year of his studies, he
had the appointment of house pupil at the Massachusetts Gen
eral Hospital. He graduated at the Medical College, 7 March,
1855 ; and, the same year, he was admitted a member of the
Massachusetts Medical Society. In the summer of the same
year, he went abroad for professional improvement, with particu
lar reference to the department of ophthalmology. He spent a
winter in Paris, and passed the following year partly at Vienna
and partly at Berlin. On his return to Boston, he took an
office in Asylum Street ; but, in the spring of 1858, he removed
to Worcester, where he proposed to attend chiefly to diseases of
the eye. At the beginning of the war, he immediately offered
to enter the service ; and, when the Fifteenth Massachusetts
Regiment was organized, he joined it as assistant-surgeon.
The illness and absence of the senior-surgeon left him alone in
the medical care of the regiment for many months ; and, on the
ultimate retirement of that officer, he was commissioned in his
place. During the whole of his service, he devoted all his ener
gies to the discharge of his duties, and never left his post for
rest or recreation. Believing it to be his duty to be where he
could render instant aid to the wounded, he always accompanied
his regiment into battle, entirely regardless of personal exposure.
When his regiment went into the engagement at Fredericksburg,
where he lost his life, he was remonstrated with by the medical
director of the division for wanting to go with them, and ordered
to report himself at the hospital ; but his desire to be with the
men was so urgent, that he was permitted to accompany them :
and he was killed by a shell, while marching by the side of the
color-bearer, 13 December, 1862.

He had neither the faculty nor disposition for slighting any
part of his duty ; and, whatever he undertook to do, his nature


required him to do earnestly and thoroughly. By his presence
in the midst of the conflicts, he is said, by an officer, to have
saved lives that must otherwise have been lost for want of imme
diate attention ; and the consciousness of such a possibility, in his
judgment, not only justified, but demanded, the personal expo
sure of the surgeon to the same risks that were encountered by
the men. He was a careful student, and fond of literary and
scientific research. Two of his essays were printed ; one on
" Intestinal Obstructions," and one on " Cysterci within the
Eye." When he entered the army, he had nearly ready for the
press a chronological catalogue of books and pamphlets printed
in this country from its settlement to the period of the revolu
tion, w r ith an introductory chapter. This was a continuation and
extension of a list which was begun by Isaiah Thomas, the author
of the " History of Printing in America," but never completed, or
arranged from the materials he had gathered. He \vas in the
battles of Ball s Bluff, Yorktown, Fair Oaks, Savage s Station,
the seven-days fighting on the retreat to Harrison s Landing,
Antietam (where his regiment was very badly cut to pieces), and
the first battle of Fredericksburg.

1852. Capt. WILLIAM DUNCAN McKiM was killed in the
rebel service in the battle of Chancellors ville, 3 May, 1863,
aged 30 years. He was son of William and Margaret I).
(Hollins) McKim, and was born in Baltimore, Md., 27 June,
1832. His father was son of William Duncan and Susan
(Haslett, of the Eastern Shore of Maryland) McKim, and was
born 21 December, 1808 ; is a banker in Baltimore ; one of
their most esteemed citizens and straight-out union-men. His
mother was daughter of John Smith and Rebecca (Dugan)
Hollins, and was born in Baltimore, April, 1810. The subject
of this notice always lived in Baltimore ; was fitted for college
by Michael R. McNally, and entered at the beginning of the
second term of the sophomore year.

1852. Col. PAUL JOSEPH REVERE died of wounds re
ceived in the battle of Gettysburg, Penn., 4 July, 1863, aged
30 years. He was son of Joseph Warren and Mary (Robbins)
Revere, and was born in Boston, 10 September, 1832. His

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 495

father was son of Paul Revere of revolutionary history, who
changed his name from Eevoir. Paul s father s name was Apol-
los ; was born in France ; went to the Isle of Guernsey when
young ; and his father, Simeon, was obliged to leave the country
at the revocation of the edict of Nantes. The mother of the
subject of this notice was a daughter of Judge Edward Hutch-
inson Bobbins (H.C. 1775), of Milton. In 1839, young Re
vere went to Milton Academy, where he remained four years
under Mr. Marsh ; then went about a year and a half to the
Boston Latin School ; then about a year to Rev. Samuel Ripley
(H.C. 1804), of Waltham; then about a year to Mr. William
Hathorne Brooks (H.C. 1827), of Boston; then to Dr. W. A.
Davis, of Dorchester, previously of Roxbury ; then, about six
months before entering the sophomore class, was with John
Brooks Felton (H.C. 1847), in Cambridge. He did not study
any profession after leaving college. AVhen the war broke out,
he volunteered his services in behalf of his country. He was
commissioned major in the Twentieth Regiment of Volunteers ;
was in the battle of Ball s Bluff, where he was taken prisoner,
carried to Richmond, and kept in close confinement for several
months ; being one of the officers held by the rebels as hostages
for the rebel privateersmen. After his exchange, he was pro
moted to be colonel of the Twentieth Regiment.

He married, 17 March, 1859, Lucretia Watson, daughter of
Rev. William Parsons Lunt (H.C. 1823), of Quincy. The
issue of this marriage was two children, one son and one
daughter, who, with their mother, survive him.

1852. Dr. ROBERT WARE died in Washington, N.C.,
10 April, 1863, aged 29 years. He was son of Dr. John
(H.C. 1813) and Helen (Lincoln) Ware, and was born in
Boston, 2 September, 1833. He was fitted for college at the
Boston Latin School. On leaving college, he determined to
enter the medical profession. He began his studies under the
instruction of his father, with whom he continued until May,
1854 ; when he went to Europe, where he remained until Sep
tember, 1855, spending about six months of the time in Paris,
studying in the French hospitals. On his return, he continued


his studies with his father, and graduated at the Medical School
in 1856, when he began the practice of his profession in Boston.
In July, 1857, he was appointed one of the district physicians
of the Boston Dispensary. He was remarkably successful in
his practice ; which increased rapidly, as his father was intend
ing to relinquish the profession to his son. On the breaking-
out of the war, he was one of the first physicians to enter
the service of the Sanitary Commission, and continued in its
service until the close of the Peninsula campaign in Virginia.
He was subsequently appointed surgeon of the Forty-fourth
Massachusetts Regiment, with which he left for the seat of war.
On his arrival in North Carolina, his arduous labors and ex
posures to the unhealthy climate brought on a fever, of which
he died, after a few days illness. Such is the brief record of
a life of stainless virtue, and of modest, wise, and effective de
votion to the public service. His manly, thoughtful, earnest
simplicity indicated all the ancestral virtues that were shining
in his character. Few gave such promise of eminence in his
profession. But one so wise, so virtuous, was well prepared to
sacrifice his life in the service of his country.

He was never married.

1852. Major SIDNEY WILLARD was killed in the battle of
Fredericksburg, Va., 14 December, 1862, aged 31 years. He
was son of Joseph (H.C. 1816) and Susannah Hicklin (Lewis)
Willard, and was born in Lancaster, Mass., 3 February, 1831.
In 1831, he, with his parents, removed to Boston, which was
his subsequent residence. He was fitted for college at the Bos
ton Latin School. While an undergraduate, he was a diligent
student, and held a respectable rank in his class. In his junior
year, he taught school, during the winter vacation, in Deerfield,
Mass. He was distinguished for his athletic powers and his in
vincible courage. After graduating, he entered the Harvard
Law School, and remained there a little more than one term.
From April, 1853, to May, 1854, he was teaching in Charles-
town, N.H., and at the same time studying law in the office of
Judges Gushing and Gilchrist. In June, 1854, he entered the-
office of Hon. Charles Greely Loring (H.C. 1812), of Boston.

1862-63.] OP HARVARD COLLEGE. 497

He was admitted to the bar, 19 April, 1856. In July, 1856,
he went to the West, and returned to Boston, after an absence
of about three months. In October, 1856, he opened an office
in Court Street, where he remained until he left for the seat of
war. His moral character was irreproachable. From moral
conviction, he was strongly antislavery in his principles. From
1854, besides being occupied by his profession, he was more or
less engaged in giving instruction to private pupils. He wrote
an article entitled " A Night in a Wherry," which was pub
lished in the " Atlantic Monthly " for October, strongly indica
tive of his insensibility to fear. In the summer of 1862, he
determined to devote himself to the service of his country ; and,
haying a taste for the military art, was commissioned as a major
of the Thirty-fifth Regiment of the Massachusetts troops. He
was employed for some time before his departure in drilling
soldiers, at which he was very expert.

He married, 21 August, 1862, Sarah Ripley, daughter of
Augustus Henry Fiske (H.C. 1825), of Boston; and left the
next day, with his regiment, for the seat of war ; bidding, sad to
say, a last farewell to his newly married wife.

1853. Lieut. -Col. WILDER DWIGHT died in a hospital,
near Boonesborough, Md., 19 September, 1862, of wounds
received in the battle of Antietam. He was son of Wil
liam (H.C. 1825) and Elizabeth Amelia (White) Dwight,
and was born in Springfield, Mass., 23 April, 1833. His
father was son of Hon. Jonathan Dwight (H.C. 1793) ; was
born in Springfield, 5 April, 1805 ; and was a lawyer in that
place ; but subsequently removed to Boston, where he en
gaged in manufactures, residing in Brookline. His mother
was a daughter of the late Hon. Daniel Appleton White
(H.C. 1797), and was born in Salem, Mass., 4 August,

He was fitted for college at Phillips Academy in Exe
ter, N.H. He attained a distinguished rank of scholarship in
his class, and graduated with high honors. Immediately after
graduating, he entered the Law School at Cambridge, where he
gained the first prize in 1855. He then visited Europe, where



he spent fifteen months, travelling through Spain, in company
with Hon. Millard Fillmore. On his return, he pursued his
law-studies in the office of Hon. Caleb Gushing (H.C.
1817), the attorney-general of the United States; and in that
of Hon. Ebenezer Rockwood Hoar (H.C. 1835), and Horace
Gray, jun., Esq. (H.C. 1845). He was admited to the bar
in 1856, and began practice in Boston in 1858, where he soon
gave promise of future eminence in his profession ; and no
man of his age had a higher position at the bar when he left
the profession for the field. He had studied law with great
assiduity ; and his knowledge of the sciences was not only ex
tensive and exact, but also systematic and practical. He fre
quently, during the four years he was in practice, appeared
before the Supreme Court ; and many of his arguments there
displayed learning, research, and vigorous practical logic, which
promised to make him leader of the profession.

When the \var broke out, he left his profession to serve
his country ; and, with Col. Gordon, organized the Second
Massachusetts Regiment ; one of the first two regiments which
entered the field under the President s original call for three-
years men. In the summer of 1861, he was commissioned as
major, and served through the laborious campaign on the
Potomac. The Second Massachusetts, under Col. Gordon,
covered the disastrous retreat of Gen. Banks down the She-
nandoah. At Winchester, after a display of individual cour
age and admirable presence of mind, he was taken prisoner,
but was immediately paroled. When Col. Gordon, for his
distinguished services, was promoted to the rank of brigadier-
general, Major Dwight became lieutenant-colonel of the regi
ment. After his exchange, he returned to active service ; and
in the battle of Antietam, 16 September, 1862, received his
mortal wound. He was distinguished for singular independ
ence of character. His thought was clear and well defined, his
statements lucid, his convictions strong. The same rare traits
adorned his short professional career ; and, seconded by other
shining qualities, enabled him to achieve a reputation, as a
military officer, beyond that of most civilians. His clearness

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 499

of insight, his promptness of execution, his decision of charac
ter, his insensibility to fear, and his dignified familiarity, won
the confidence, the admiration, and the love of his command.

1854. Capt. RICHARD CHAPMAN GOODWIN was killed
in the battle at Cedar Mountain, Va., 9 August, 1862, at the
age of 28 years. He was the oldest son of Ozias and Lucy N.
(Chapman) Goodwin, and was born in Boston, 11 October,
1833. He went to a private school in Boston until 1845, and
then entered the Latin school, where he was fitted for college.
After graduating, he determined to pursue the mercantile profes
sion ; and in August, 1854, he entered the counting-room of
TTilliam Story Bullard , of Boston ; but soon afterwards went
abroad, where he spent several years in foreign travel, and
returned in 1858. In 1861, immediately after the breaking-out
of the rebellion, he raised a company of Massachusetts volun
teers, of which he was appointed captain ; and was attached, as
Company K, to the Second Regiment, under Col. George H.

1854. EDMUND RHETT died in Spartansburg, S.C., 15
February, 1863, aged 29 years. He was son of Hon. Robert
Barn well and Elizabeth (Burnet) Rhett, and was born in
Charleston, S.C., 19 November, 1833. His time, before enter
ing college, was passed between Washington, Charleston, and
his father s plantation on the Ashepoo River. He returned
from Washington in 1848 ; when his father resigned the seat he
had held in the lower house for about thirteen years. He entered
the sophomore class of the South-Carolina College in 1850 ;
took an honorable dismission, with one hundred and ten others,
in December, 1852, on account of certain differences which arose
between the students and the college-government ; and entered,
in March, 1853, the junior class, half advanced, at Harvard. In
alluding to himself, he said, when in college, As my first
appearance in this world of jests was amidst the disturbances of
nulliiicatioii in South Carolina, so probably will my life continue
through a series of political struggles and commotions only ;
but the last act which it shall witness will be more effective,
and more finally decisive for the maintenance of the integrity of
my state, than the first."


He afterwards studied law in Charleston, and intended to
practise in California ; but he afterwards became assistant- editor
of the " Charleston Mercury, " of which paper his father was

1854. Lieut. -Col. JAMES SAVAGE died in the hospital
in Charlottes ville, Va., 22 September, 1862, of wounds re
ceived in the battle at Cedar Mountain on the 9th of August,
aged 30 years. He was the only son of Hon. James (H.C.
1803) and Elizabeth Otis (Stillman) Savage, and was born in
Boston, 21 April, 1832. He was fitted for college at the Bos
ton Latin School, and held a respectable, but not distinguished,
rank in his class.

The love of excellence, rather than the ambition to excel,
was always a controlling motive in his life and conduct. He
secured the respect of his teachers by the correctness and purity
of his course, and was much beloved by his classmates for the
rare truth and nobleness of his character. He early showed a
great love for music ; and this, with the study of horticulture,
equally an object of his regard, filled all his leisure hours. Soon
after leaving college, he went to Europe, where he remained two
years, profiting by the instructions of Professor Liebig and
others, at Munich and Berlin, in agricultural chemistry, and
other departments ; visiting, with a student s appreciation, the
galleries of art, and cultivating his taste for music. Upon his
return, he was undetermined as to the path in life he should
take, having no decided taste for either of the so-called learned
professions, and having found, by six months reading of
law, that the confinement incident to them was incompatible
with his health. With more than common muscular strength
and activity, a person manly and vigorous, and presenting all
the external aspects of health, his constitution was such as to
make sedentary employments pernicious, and much exercise in
the open air necessary. Fond of rural employments, of which
he had acquired no small knowledge from his studies and ob
servations at home and abroad, and enjoying nature with a
poetical enthusiasm, he determined to make agriculture his
profession ; and, with that view, purchased a small farm in the

1862-63.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 501

town of Ashland, where, for two years, he spent most of his
time in the practical labors of the husbandman. In the midst
of these occupations, he became interested in the great ques
tions of the day, and gave his heartiest sympathy to the cause
of human freedom. The strong love of justice inherited from
his father, showing itself in indignation against wrong and op
pression in every form, was confirmed at this time by his reading
and reflection, and prepared him to take an active part in the
defence of free principles whenever they were assailed. Fol
lowing these convictions, as well as his interest in the occasion

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 45 of 49)