Joseph Palmer.

Necrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 online

. (page 5 of 49)
Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 5 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

New- York City, 21 September, 1854, aged 61. He was son of
Henry Wainwright, and his wife Elizabeth Mayhew, daughter
of Rev. Jonathan Mayhew, D.D., of Boston ; and was born in
Liverpool, Eng. (during the temporary residence of his parents
there), 24 February, 1793. His father was an English mer
chant, who removed to this country shortly after the war, and
became a naturalized citizen of the United States. Dr. Wain-
wright s boyhood was spent in England, at school ; and, on the
return of his parents to this country, he fitted for college at
Sandwich Academy, under the instruction of Elisha Clap
(H.C. 1797). After he graduated, he was for two years
instructor in rhetoric and oratory in Harvard College. In
1816, he was ordained a deacon in the Protestant Episcopal
Church, and was soon after placed in charge of Christ Church,
Hartford, where he remained three years. In 1819, he was
called, as an assistant minister of Trinity Church, New York,
to fill the vacancy occasioned by the election of Rev. Dr. Brow-
nell as Bishop of Connecticut. A few months afterwards, he
became rector of Grace Church, in New York. Here he re
mained until 1834 ; when, upon a very urgent call, he accepted
the rectorship of Trinity Church, Boston, where he resided three
years. On the 25th of March, 1837, he returned to New York,
as an assistant minister, once more, of Trinity Church, and re-

1854-55.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 47

tained this connection during the remainder of his life. Mean
while, however, he had been of distinguished service to the
church in many other capacities. He succeeded Bishop Henry
U. Onderdonk as secretary of the Board of Trustees of the
General Theological Seminary in 1828 ; in which capacity his
zeal and activity were of great and lasting service until his
removal to Boston in 1834. He was for many years a manager
of the Bible, Prayer-book, and Tract Society. He was secre
tary of the House of Bishops from the year 1838 until he took
his seat as a member of that house ; and it was in his capacity
as secretary that he went to England, in the summer of 1852,
bearing the resolutions of the American bishops responsive to
the invitation to attend the closing services of the third semi
centennial jubilee of the venerable Society for the Propagation
of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. But the crowning energies of
his long and laborious life were devoted to the episcopate, to
which he was elected as provisional bishop by the Diocesan Con
vention of 1852, and consecrated on the 10th of November fol
lowing. Anxious to serve faithfully that diocese which had called
him to preside over it, he refused to moderate^his episcopal
labors by any consideration of his own health. This enormous
diocese is too heavy a burden for even the most vigorous man
in the flower of his age ; and the determination to do what no
man of his years could reasonably expect to perform hurried
him to the grave. His last Sunday s duty was at Haverstraw
(on 27 August), where full and somewhat exciting services were
held ; he preaching both morning and afternoon to crowded con
gregations, with a confirmation of thirteen persons, and an
appropriate address besides. During his brief episcopate of
one year, ten months, and eleven days, he went through a
far greater amount of episcopal labor than was ever before
crowded into the same space of time by any American bishop.
He paid for his brilliant pre-eminence with his life.

1813. Dr. ZABDIEL BOYLSTON ADAMS died in Boston,
25 January, 1855, aged 62. He was born in Roxbury, Mass.,
19 February, 1793. He was long known as one of the most
skilful and successful practitioners in Boston ; and he was


greatly endeared to the many families who availed themselves of
his professional services, as well as to the community at large.

1815. ELISHA FULLER died suddenly of disease of the
heart, in Worcester, 18 March, 1855, aged 60. He was son of
Rev. Timothy Fuller (H.C. 1760), and was born in Princeton,
Mass., 28 October, 1794. Immediately after he was graduated,
he commenced the study of divinity, and completed his studies
at the Theological School in Cambridge in 1818, when he was
licensed to preach. For three years, he officiated in various
pulpits, but finally relinquished the profession, and in July,
1821, he began the study of law. In May, 1823, he settled
as a lawyer in Concord, Mass. In May, 1831, he removed
from Concord to Lowell ; and, in the spring of 1844, from
Lowell to Worcester, where he remained diligently practising his
profession till death suddenly called him away. At the time of
his decease, he held the office of Associate Judge of the Police
Court in Worcester. His interest in the university, which
gave to him his education, was large and unintermitted. Its
history, as it was unfolded, was his study. It was a subject of
gratulation with him, that, from the period of his matriculation,
no Commencement-Day had come that did not find him a visitor
at Cambridge, if it were only for an hour, to manifest, by his
presence, his interest in his Alma Mater.

1816. JOHN AMORY DEBLOIS died in Columbus, Ga.,
30 May, 1855, aged 57. He was son of Stephen Deblois, and
was born in Boston, 20 July, 1797. After leaving college, he
engaged in mercantile business in New Orleans. He afterwards
removed to Columbus, where he formed a copartnership under
the firm of Hall and Deblois ; and where, for eighteen years, he
was one of the most prominent merchants of that place, pos
sessing strict integrity, gentle and courteous manners.

1816. Rev. WILLIAM POOLE KENDRICK died in Bristol,
Kendall County, 111., 5 November, 1854, aged 64. He was
born in Hollis, N.H., 27 January, 1790. At the early age
of eleven years, he became seriously impressed, and resolved,
by the aid of divine grace, to devote the best of his life
to the eternal welfare of his fellow-man. In accordance with

1854-55.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 49

this resolution, he fitted for college ; and, after graduation,
studied his profession at the Theological Seminary in Andover.
He remained some time at the East, ministering to destitute
churches ; after which, he removed to the state of New York,
acting as home missionary for nearly thirty years at Shelby,
Parma Centre, and other places. In 1846, he repaired to
Illinois, and there ended his days.

1817. FREDERICK HOBBS died in Bangor, Me., 10 Octo
ber, 1854, aged 57. He was son of Isaac Hobbs, of Weston,
Mass., where he was born 28 February, 1797. On his mater
nal side, he was a lineal descendant from the celebrated Rev.
John Cotton, the minister of the First Church in Boston. As
such a descendant, he was entitled to, and received, certain ben
efits from Harvard College, while a student there, growing
out of bequests to the institution from the Cotton family. Af
ter graduating, he read law in the office of Daniel Webster, in
Boston ; and, in 1820, went to Eastport, Me., where he opened
an office. He soon entered upon an extensive practice, and
gained a high position at the bar of Washington County. He
filled various municipal offices in Eastport, and represented the
town one year in the legislature. He was once nominated by
the whig party as their candidate for representative to Con
gress in the Eastern Congressional District, and received the
united vote of that party ; but, as it was then in a minority in
the district, he failed of an election. In 1836, he removed to
Bangor, where he successfully continued the practice of the law ;
having, up to the time of his sickness, more business in the
United-States Court than any practitioner east of the Kenne-
bec. Although devoted to his profession, he found time for
other employments, and always took a lively interest in munici
pal affairs ; and, as an alderman, his services in the city
council were laborious and efficient. He was for some time
president of the Musical Association in Bangor, and freely lent
his aid to this branch of education. He was a great friend to
horticulture ; was among the few who first started the Bangor
Horticultural Society, and was for some time its president. In
the cause of schools, lyceums, and temperance, he was an



earnest advocate, and contributed his full share for their general
advancement. He was a good and useful citizen ; of stern
integrity, of strict honesty, and highly exemplary in all his
habits. In February, 1849, while engaged in an important
case before the Supreme Court of Massachusetts, in Boston, he
was suddenly attacked with blindness and dizziness, which for
some time incapacitated him for labor. Rallying, however,
from this attack, he continued his business until February, 1852,
when he was struck down with severe paralysis as he was finish
ing a written argument to be delivered before the United-States
Court at Washington. He was a Christian. Many years ago,
he embraced the Unitarian faith ; and, through all his after-life,
his thoughts and actions appeared to have been regulated from
conscientious motives. He was sincerely attached to his church,
and sought in all proper ways to advance the spread of its doc
trines. A present of a rich silver communion-service, which
he made to the church where he worshipped in Bangor, after he
was taken sick, showed that the effect of his illness tended to
draw his affections still closer to the best object of his wishes.

1817. CALEB REED died in Boston, 14 October, 1854,
aged 57. He was son of Rev. John Reed, D.D., of West
Bridge water, where he was born 22 April, 1797. His mother
was Hannah Sampson. He studied law with his brother, Hon.
John Reed (B.U. 1803), in Yarmouth, Mass. ; with whom he
continued in practice until 1828. In that year he removed to
Boston, and entered into business with Cyrus Alger and Co., in a
foundry which is now known as the South-Boston Iron Company,
of which he was treasurer. In 1821, he published in 18mo a
small work entitled " The General Principles of English Gram
mar." For more than twenty years of his life, he was editor of
the " New- Jerusalem Magazine," and a liberal contributor to its
pages. He was a very efficient member of the Swedenborgian

1818. Dr. JESSE CHICKERING died at Jamaica Plain,
West Roxbury, 29 May, 1855, aged 57. He was born in
Dover, Mass., 31 August, 1797. After graduating, he entered
the Theological School at Cambridge ; completed his studies at

1854-55.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 51

that institution in 1821, and preached for several years; but
was never settled over any society. He then relinquished the
profession, and commenced the study of medicine. He com
pleted his studies and received his medical degree in 1833. He
practised in Boston for ten years ; but, his studious habits
not agreeing with the active life of a physician, he retired from
the service, and devoted himself to statistics, for which he had
great partiality. His elaborate work on the "Population of
Massachusetts from 1765 to 1840 " was published in 1846. His
valuable book on "Immigration into the United States " appeared
in 1848. His reports on the " Census of Boston " were printed in
1851. He also contributed many valuable articles to magazines
and other periodicals. He rendered essential service to the
Senate committee that arranged the details of the last United-
States census. He was for several years a confidential cor
respondent of Daniel Webster, John Davis, and other leading
statesmen. A few weeks before his death, he was engaged in
writing a long communication to the celebrated Marshall Hall,
of London, who had misunderstood his article in De Bow s
Review for August, 1853. Dr. Hall, in his work on slavery,
alluded to the article as " an admirable paper ; " but the author
found his English friend had mistaken his views, and therefore
prepared an elaborate letter in reply. His last published work
was a " Letter addressed to the President of the United States
on Slavery, considered in relation to the Constitutional Principles
of Government in Great Britain and in the United States." It
was issued from the press a few weeks before his death, and will
rank its author among the profound thinkers and writers on the
slavery-question. He was an intelligent, upright, and conscien
tious man. Few persons could be in his society without
receiving instruction, as his mind was active and his habits
were communicative.

1818. Rev. JAMES DELAP FARXSWORTH died in Bridge-
water, 12 November, 1854, aged 61. He was born in Groton,
Mass., 11 September, 1793; was ordained at Orford, N.H.,
1 January, 1823 ; dismissed 9 April, 1832 ; installed at Paxton,
Mass., 30 April, 1835; dismissed 1840; installed at North


Chelsea ; dismissed 1853 ; installed at Bridgewater, 1 Septem
ber, 1853. In 1853^ he was chaplain to the Massachusetts

1819. JOHN HAKLESTON COEBETT died in Charleston,
S.C., 11 May, 1855, aged 56. He was son of Thomas and
Elizabeth (Harleston) Corbett, and was born in Charleston,
16 February, 1799. He studied the profession of law; but lost
his eyesight in 1826, and was blind to the day of his death.
He enjoyed life, however, very highly ; was fond of society ; and
kept himself well informed in all the great topics of the day,
and felt an interest in all its leading movements. He was of a
gay and elastic temperament. Still his misfortune necessarily
threw him much into the shade, and he was rarely seen in public
or general society.

1819. Hon. SAMUEL BAKER WALCOTT, of Salem, died at
the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, 4 December,
1854, aged 59. He was born in Bolton, Mass., 7 March, 1795.
His given name originally was Jesse, which he had changed to
Samuel Baker by legislative enactment. He received a portion
of his academic education at Andover. In 1821, he was ap
pointed tutor in Greek at Harvard College ; which position
he occupied about one year, having previously labored with
much success as a school-teacher in Salem. He subsequently
studied law in the office of Hon. Daniel Webster, and secured
the esteem and confidence of his distinguished teacher, which
never abated during life, and which afterwards placed the pupil
in the position of guardian and guide of the son of that states
man whose whole time and care were claimed by his country.
After his admission to the bar, he opened an office in Boston,
but soon removed to Salem. After a brief residence in Salem,
he removed to Hopkinton, where he pursued his profession with
success. His public life began in this town ; and no man, who
frequented the halls of our legislature for more than twelve
years prior to 1845, can have forgotten the calm and proper
presence of the member from Hopkinton, the senator from Mid
dlesex, or can have failed to mark the attentive hearing he
always received from whatsoever assembly he addressed. No

1854-55.] OF HARVARD COLLEGE. 53

reprcsentive, no senator, ever served his town and county better
than he, during many years of public life. His scholarship was
excellent, his manners unostentatious ; his conduct, in whatever
he undertook, prudent and discreet ; in public, a reliable man ;
in private, dignified, exemplary, and conscientiously kind and

1819. BENJAMIN AVHEATLAND died in Salem, 28 Decem
ber, 1854, aged 53. He was son of Capt. Richard Wheatland,
of Salem, where he was born 27 May, 1801. After graduating,
he studied law, but did not pursue the profession. He engaged
in the service of the New Market (N.H.) Manufacturing Com
pany at the commencement of its career, and continued with it
to the time of his death ; a faithful, intelligent, upright, and
honorable agent in the various stations he filled.

1822. LUTHER BARKER LINCOLN died in Deerfield, Mass.,
11 May, 1855, aged 53. He was son of Luther Lincoln, of
Westford, Mass., where he was born 3 April, 1802. At an
early age, he lost his mother ; and, from that time, he knew little
of a home till he formed one for himself. His father, who was
a sea-captain, was absent most of the time, and he was kept at
school. At one time, his father possessed considerable property,
but lost it during the youth of his son ; who was thus left, at an
early age, to struggle hard for means to complete the course of
study on which he had entered. He was fitted for college at
Westford Academy. In college he took a respectable rank as
a scholar, and was faithful and conscientious in the performance
of every exercise. On leaving college, he went to Sandwich,
and had charge of the academy in that place for several years.
From Sandwich he removed to Hingham, and was associated
with Dr. Willard in a private school in that place. In 1835,
he became the principal of the academy in Deerfield ; which
office he filled with much acceptance till 1844, when he resigned
his situation there, and accepted one in the Derby Academy
at Hingham, where he remained till 1848, when he returned
to Deerfield. The last seven years of his life were devoted to
teaching, for the most part in a private school ; a part of the
time in Deerfield, and a part of the time in Greenfield. His


last situation in this capacity was in the Greenfield High School.
The last four months previous to his death were spent in ardu
ous labors as representative in the legislature, to which office
he was chosen with a unanimity rarely witnessed in these days.
It wil] thus be seen that teaching was the chosen occupation to
which he devoted more than thirty years of his life. It was an
occupation which he loved, and to which he gave himself with
all the ardor of his soul. He had a rare taste for his work :
he commanded the respect of the young to a degree seldom
equalled. It may be truly said of him, that he led a pure and
blameless life.

1823. THOMAS WILSON DORR died in Providence, R.I.,
27 December, 1854, aged 49. He was son of Sullivan and
Lydia (Allen) Dorr, and was born in Providence, 5 Novem
ber, 1805. He commenced his education at the free school and
the Latin Grammar School in Providence ; and completed his
studies, preparatory to entering college, at Phillips Academy, in
Exeter, N.H. He graduated as the second scholar of his class.
He attended the law lectures, and was under the instruction of
Chancellor Kent in New York in 182425 ; and after passing
some time in the office of John W hippie, in Providence, was
admitted to the bar in 1827. He did not pursue the practice
of his profession, but early turned his attention to political life,
and the more congenial studies of scholastic lore. He devoted
much attention to matters of public utility and general improve
ment. He was a trustee and treasurer of the Providence His
torical Society at the time of the troubles in 1842. He gave
long and zealous attention to the subject of education in the
free schools ; was president of the committee in 1842 ; intro
duced, and carried through the committee, the plan of a high
school, which was finally adopted by the city government, and
resulted in the present improved system of education.

He commenced political life in 1834. Early in that year, he
attended the Freeholders Convention, designed to bring about
an extension of suffrage, and establish a republican constitu
tion. In April of the same year, he was elected representative
from the city of Providence ; and was re-elected semi-annually

1854-55.] OP HARVARD COLLEGE. 55

till August, 1837. In June, 1836, he drew up a report of the
investigation of the banks, and a draft of the Bank Act, which
was adopted. In 1839, he was nominated as a candidate for
representative to Congress, but was defeated. While a member
of the Assembly, he exerted himself to obtain an extension of
suffrage ; he also attempted to procure the call of a convention,
without success. He took an active interest in the movement
which was organized in 1840 for obtaining a written constitu
tion, securing an extension of suffrage, &c. ; and was a promi
nent member of the convention resulting from this movement,
holden in 1841, and which framed and submitted to the people
a constitution, the original draft of which is in his hand

He was tried upon the charge of treason at the term of the
Supreme Court at Newport, in June, 1844 ; was convicted, and
sentenced on the 25th of June to imprisonment for " life at hard
labor in separate confinement." At the May term of the
General Assembly holden in 1845, an act was passed, providing
for his liberation on conditions which he refused. At the June
session following, he was unconditionally liberated, without being
restored to the rights of citizenship. The time of his continu
ance in prison was just one year. He was elected a delegate
to the Baltimore National Democratic Conventions in 1848 and
1852, but was unable to attend either of them. The General
Assembly, at their June session in 1851, restored him to all the
rights and privileges of citizenship, without condition. At
the January session in 1853, an act was passed annulling the
sentence passed upon him by the Supreme Court. During his
last illness, he connected himself with the Episcopal Church.
The Democratic State Convention, holden in March last, voted
to erect a monument to his memory, and appointed a commit
tee to carry the same into effect.

1826. Dr. GEORGE FRANKLIN TURNER died at Corpus
Chris ti, Texas, 17 October, 1854, aged 47. He was son of
Kobert Turner, and was born in Boston, 22 April, 1807. After
leaving college, he studied medicine in the army hospital with
the late Dr. B. Turner, with a view of entering the army. His


commission as assistant-surgeon was dated 23 July, 1833 ;
previous to which time, he had practised medicine for a short
period in Indiana. His commission of surgeon was of date
1 January, 1840. He was stationed at Mackinaw in 1834 ;
when he married Mary, the eldest daughter of the late Robert
Stuart, Esq., of Detroit, Mich. He afterwards served in Florida
during the Seminole War ; and was subsequently stationed at
Fort Snelling, at the Falls of St. Anthony, on the Mississippi,
until the Mexican War, when he was ordered to Mexico, where
he served as medical surveyor. Afterwards, in California and
Texas, he continued to render the services of his profession,
which, from the time of his entering the service until the end of
his life, were uninterrupted, and often as arduous as they were
faithful and able.

1827. MARSHALL TUFTS died in Lexington, Mass.,
18 May, 1855, aged 52. He was son of Thomas and Rebecca
(Adams) Tufts, and was born in Lexington, Mass., 26 Sep
tember, 1802. In the winter of 1826, he taught a school in
Woburn, Mass. After graduating, he entered as a student
in the Theological School at Cambridge, but left after a short
period. In 1828, he commenced his theological studies with
the Rev. Abiel Holmes, D.D. (Y.C. 1783), of Cambridge.
After completing his studies, he preached for some years, but
was never ordained.

1828. Dr. JOHN APPLETON SWETT died in New- York
City, 18 September, 1854, aged 45. He was son of John and
Alice (Appleton) Swett, and was born in Boston, 3 December,
1808. He commenced practice as a physician, in Boston ; but
a few years afterwards removed to the city of New York, where
he resided till his death. He was one of the brightest lights of
the profession in that city. For many years, he was recognized
as an authority of the first standing, especially upon diseases of
the chest ; on which subject a volume of his, published a year
or two since, has become a valuable text-book. His private
practice was extensive : but he was much more largely known
through his connection with the New- York City Hospital ; to fill
one of the most responsible offices in which, he was elected

18o4-55.] OP HARVARD COLLEGE. 57

in the year 1842. His minute pathological examinations, and
their comparison with the diseases illustrated thereby in the living,
made him one of the most instructive lecturers that walked the
wards of that famous charity ; and his clinical classes were
always large. He held too, at his death, an important profess
orship in the medical department of the University (the Four
teenth-street School). In that institution, he lectured with
great success on the Institutes and Practice of Medicine.

1829. ELBRIDGE GERRY AUSTIN died at Nahant, 25 July,
1854, aged 43. He was son of Hon. James T. Austin (H.C.
1802), and was born in Boston, 4 October, 1810. He studied
law, and opened an office in Boston, where he practised several
years. About four years before his death, he removed to San

Online LibraryJoseph PalmerNecrology of alumni of Harvard college, 1851-52 to 1862-63 → online text (page 5 of 49)