war with Spain, and those on packages of cigars, tobacco, etc.
8. Why are some taxes jjaid willingly and others unwillingly?
D. Other Taxes вАФ on tea, glass, etc.
1. The revenue from these was to be used in paying the salaries
of governors, judges and Crown attorneys, thus making them
independent of the colonies.
2. What were the Nonimportation Societies?
3. Tell about the Peggy Stewart.
4. Compare this incident with the Boston Tea Party.
II. Preparations for War.
1 . Maryland sends aid to Boston.
2. What was the attitude of Charles Carroll of Carrollton ?
3. Tell about the Committees of Correspondence.
4. The congress of the colonies at Philadelphia.
1;. Who were the Delegates sent from Maryland ?
6. Explain Maryland's conservatism on the question of indepen-
7. When did Maryland concur in declaring the independence of
the colonies ?
8. What Marylanders signed the Declaration of Independence?
TO THE TIME OF INDEPENDENCE. 97
III. Maryland Becomes a State.
1. Why was it necessary to hold a Constitutional Convention?
2. When and where did the first Constitutional Convention meet?
3. When was the first State Constitution adopted?
4. Provisions of the Constitution.
(rt) The General Assembly to consist of two chambers.
(/)) The chief executive the Governor; his powers.
(c) Voters' qualifications.