Copyright
Lewis Publishing Company. cn.

A memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today online

. (page 107 of 138)
Online LibraryLewis Publishing Company. cnA memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today → online text (page 107 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


trade in San Francisco. Later, he became
superintendent of the Oakland Mine, in Grass
Valley, Nevada, in which capacity he remained
a year and a half. In 1887 he came to Redding
and put in the pumping system, which supplies
the city with water. They pump into a reservoir
which holds 350,000 gallons of water, and the
pumping capacity is 58.000 gallons per hour.
Mr. F. Smith, a capitalist of San Francisco, and
Mr. FiUman formed a stock company, with
$100,000 capital, and purchased the electric
light plant, 650 lights, of Thompson & Huston.
They have now in use about one-half of the
lights. The works are run by a lifty-horse-
power engine. As yet there are no street lights
in the city, but the light is such a success that,
doubtless, it will soon be used on the streets.

Mr. Fillman has a one-third interest in a
very valuable patent medicine, the celebrated
McClellan Diphtheria Remedy. It is being
put up and is for sale by Dugan & Dickey,
San Francisco. As an efficient remedy it is un-
excelled.

In 1882 Mr. Fillman was united in marriage



to Miss Lotty Rawson, a native of Wisconsin.
To them have been born a daughter and son.
The latter is deceased.

Mr. Fillman is a member of the American
Legion of Honor, and politically he is a Demo-
crat.



fALLUSTRO AND THE CALLUSTRO
COMPANY.— The story of Callustro is
of that strangely interesting character
that always enlists the most active attention of
the auditor, aud told, as it was to the writer, by
" one who knew," in one of the comfortable
offices of the company in the Palace Hotel
block, San Francisco, it struck him as one well
worthy the telling, and thoroughly typical of
our wonderful State and its products. For
Callustro has a history, and an unusually rapid
rise and development, partly as a series of most
lucky accidents, but still more in consequence
of the great energy and business ability dis-
played by the ladies in whose hands its future
lay. This new mineral substance, Callustro,
whicii is arousing so much talk and attention,
is a new gift of nature to man, nothing of its
peculiar constituent elements in similar propor-
tion having ever been previously discovered.
Professor H. G. Hanks, formerly State Mineral-
ogist, gives his analysis showing it to contain
almost two-thirds silica, and one-third alumina,
with lesser quantities of magnesia and some
other ingredients. It will be noted that in no
other known substance has so large a propor-
tion of alumina been found — that most valuable
and also most plentiful, but almost ineliminable
metal which is at once the hope and despair of
chemists, metallurgists and inventors. The
fame af Callustro has gone abroad and already
the company is thronged with inquiries about
it and offers to secure its product. But we are
ahead of our story, for these inquiries are a
later result of the knowledge that has got
abroad. The story of its discovery and intro-
duction to the public is about as follows:



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



Mrs. Eells clianced to be present, some time
in September, 1885, at the uprooting of an old
fir stump on her snug ranch of 100 acres called
"Forest Farm," which is situated a couple of
miles above the charming little town of Calis-
toga. The tenacity with which the tree
seemed fixed to the soil led her to examine
some of the peculiar blue-gray clay that came
up with the roots. While most people would
have passed the matter over with a casual
glance, she, quick to perceive and equally quick
to act, picked up a piece of the clay remarking
its freedom from grit and smoothness. Taking
out her penknife she shaved oif a little of it,
and on brushing off the dust from her hands
noticed its great polishing power upon her
rings, and in all was so taken with it that a
piece of it went into the house. It was not
long before it found its way to the wash-room,
where more of its excellencies were discovered,
not only as an adjunct to the soap, but as a
scourer and polisher. Every visitor from the
city examined the new substance, and aided in
spreading a knowledge of its virtues. Troubles
and cares, however, connected with the lamented
death of her husband, and later the total destruc-
tion of her home by fire, prevented Mrs. Eells
from doing anything to make practically valu-
able her discovery. Late in 1888, however, a
company was formed, consisting wholly of Oak-
land ladies at first, the name Callustro was
wisely chosen, and the preparations made up
were placed upon the market.

Eut now to return to the earliest jwrtion of
my account. Mr. D. B. Huntley, a mining
expert of the first rank, declares: " It proves
wonderfully efficient in giving a brilliant and
lasting polish to all metallic surfaces, as well as
glass and precious stones," a statement worthily
borne out by experience. Professor Hanks says
it is entirely new to him, nothing like it ever
having come to his hand before, and that in its
finest powdered form, under microscope the
uiotes still show the keenest and sharpest cut-
ting edges, rendering it extremely valuable as a
polishing agent. The extended and critical



tests to which it has been subjected has more
than borne out this prediction. In powdered
form, though a gray, fiour-like stibstance, free
from grit, delicate and soft to the touch and ex-
ceedingly agreeable to the skin, it polibhes each
of the common and precious metals in use as
well as glass and all precious stones with mar-
velous quickness and a luster that is wonderful,
and possessing the invaluable property of re-
maining a much greater length of time than
the luster of any other known polish. The
first step constitutes Callustro in its various
preparations, the housekeeper's greatest and
hitherto unknown aid for polishing, cleaning or
cleansing jewelry, plated ware, glass, marble,
paint and all articles or utensils of copper, zinc,
tin, brass or steel, as well as wooden ware and
all woolen fabrics. Wherever polishing, scour-
ing and cleaning is a desideratum, as on rail-
roads, steamships, etc., it will prove the same
grand labor-saving factor. Future steps will
prove its value in the arts and sciences. A
property which makes Callustro stand in greatest
favor from the first touch is its exceeding pleas-
ant and beneficial effects upon the skin. In
fact four of its pi-eparations already offered to
the public are for the toilet. Moreover, the
toilet soaps are the very finest for washing in
salt water ever tried. A double appreciation
attaches to them in this respect, as they are
plain, pure soaps, depending for efiiect on Cal-
lustro solely. In each and every preparation
put out by the company there is not a particle
of lye, acid, or any other chemical whatever
added, as is so often the case. As a consequence
the more one dabbles in the use of any or all
of these preparations, the more soft, delicate,
white and cointortalile will the flesh and hands
become, which fact is already abundantly veri-
fied by hundreds of the ladies of Oakland. An
item important to observe in using Callustro
preparations is not to use too much water. Only
enough water should be used to dampen, or at
most to make pasty, and after rubbing do not
rinse off with water, but rub off with dry cloth
or chamois, etc., as the case maybe. The com-



640



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



pany guarantee each of the soaps to be the best
quality of pure vegetable oil soap with Callus-
tro added. The company has now ten prepara-
tions ready for consumers and the trade, patents
for all of which having been applied for and
several already secured.

The Callustro Tooth Powder is a sure remedy
for tartar on the teeth, and leaves the mouth
delightfully sweet and pure. (This is the writer's
own experience from personal nse of this agree-
able dentifrice.) The company has been devot-
ing considerable attention to the use of Callus-
tro in the form of paint and kalsomiiie. The
California Paint Company has been making ex-
periments and seems satisfied that Callustro is
a good thing. Mr. Percy, of Oakland, and
other architects are of opinion that as paint the
material is undoubtedly of great value.

The Callustro Company is proven a great
success. Among its customers are the Southern
Pacific Company, which has ordered a consid-
erable quantity for use in its depots. The brass,
bright steel and glass surfaces on the ferry
steamers Alameda, Oakland and Newark are
now polished with Callustro. The San Pablo
Avenue Cable-road Company, of Oakland, uses
it with beneficial eifect on its cars. It is also
used in the principal hotels of the city, upon
the fire engines of Oakland and elsewhere, and
in fact is coming into general use. The con-
venient window bag is an invention of the dis-
coverer of Callustro, who evidently understands
the needs of the housekeeper. It promises to
become the popular " fad " of the day. In fact'
Callustro seems a natural glass polisher, being
a perfect substitute for the costly and deadly
putty of lead until now exclusively used. It
is also found to make an excellent fire-brick,
never cracking or breaking out as often happens
now in grates or furnaces. As tiling, too, wlietli-
er for the ornamental or the more ordinary' uses,
it is found to be the very best. For the cleansing
of wool it proves a superior sort of fuller's earth.
Callustro and its products are well covered by
patents, the advice and assistance of the best
legal talent having been secured in this respect.



The company was incorporated December 10,
1888, with a capital stock of $100,000, shares
being originally issued at $1 per share. The
price has now advanced to $5, and none for sale,
this advance being made only after the new dis-
coveries of the mineral's unusual value. The
President is Mrs. Emma P. Eells; General
Manager, C. L. Paige, and Board of Directors,
Mrs. Susan L. Mills, Mrs. Clara F. Ham
ilton, Mrs. Sarah Haight Tompkins, Mrs.
Rebecca Knox, Mrs. M. Belle Holmes and
Mrs. Phoebe Watkins, a truly representative
set of names. They own and operate an ex-
tensive industrial establishment in Oakland,
where the soaps and other preparations are put
up. Only careful and reliable people are em-
ployed, a true philanthropy being shown in
securing the services chiefly of those who have
known better days. To use the words of our
bright San Francisco lady, Mrs. Sarah B.
Cooper, " Callustro has brightened many other
things than household matters only — hearts and
homes and hopes." At the mine has lately
been erected a new mill and grinding machine,
run by a powerful engine, all under the charge
of a skilled and competent man. The Behin
mineral pulverizer used is a magnificent piece
of machinery, pulverizing being done entirely
by compressed air and the centripetal motion of
the pulverizer. There are only three of these
perpetual pulverizers in use in the world, this
machine being the latest advance. All is so
arranged, however, that resort may be had at
any time thought necessary to the triturating
process by water, of which there is abundance.
Callustro is found, strangely enough, nowhere
else save on the ranch formerly owned by Mrs.
Eells and the immediately adjoining property,
all now controlled by the company. The
deposit covers about 150 acres, and seems to
have been a formation by deposit from j)erfectly
still water at a great depth, afterward squeezed
up or upheaved by some geologic agency. Tlie
longer acquaintance with it, the stranger and
more valuable its properties are discovered to
be, and each day shows some new development,



HISTORY OF NORTUBEN CALIFORNI.).



641



aad, indeed, the end is not yet. It might, too,
be noticed as a side issue at the present, bnt
some day perhaps to take the lead in the values
of this strange mineral, that it has a larger
constituent proportion of aluminum in its mass
than any other known substance. This fact is
beginning to arouse the attention of scientists
and others interested throughout the world, and
much inquiry is being enlisted. The indica-
tions of quicksilver, too, upon the property are
very pronounced and may eventually add largely
to the wealth ol" the company.

As might be expected the company is in re-
ceipt of hundreds of testimonials testifying to
the excellent qualities of its preparations. We
give a few names: E. N. Beilisle, Master Car-
builder Southern Pacific Company; V. D.
Moody, President First National Bank, Oak-
land; Mrs. Sarah B. Cooper; E. H. Woolsey,
M. D.;D. S. Hirshburg, Chief Clerk United
States Mint, San Francisco; H. T. Webster, M.
D., Oakland; John Mallon, Glass Staining and
Embossing Works, 19 Fremont street, San
P"'rancisco; Charles Evans, Chief of the Salvage
Corps, St. Louis, Missouri; Charles E. Rector,
of Rector's Oyster House, Chicago, Illinois, etc.

The company has agents in England and
Australia, and the principal States of the Union,
and inquiries from everywhere, with shipments
increasing very fast.



►>^



t ON. JOHN FRANCIS ELLISON, a
prominent citizen and lawyer of Red
Bluff, was born at Falls Church, Fairfax
County, Virginia, November 30, 1853. His
father, William H. Ellison, a native of the
State of New York, removed to Virginia about
1845. He married Miss Elizabeth Fish, who
was born on the farm in Virginia, where he
still resides. To them were born three sons
and one daughter. Mr. Ellison's grandfather,
Andrew Ellison, was of English ancestry and
an early settler of this country. The Ellisons



were Methodists, and were highly respected for
their honesty and industry.

The subject of this sketch received his early
education in a private school; afterward attended
coUegeat Richmond, Virginia; read law under the
instruction of Judge Cox; and graduated at the
University of Virginia, in 1877. Immediately
after his graduation he came to Red Bluff, Cali-
fornia, and engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession. As a lawyer he has met with marked
success and occupies an enviable position among
the members of his profession. He is an enthu-
siastic and influential Republican, and is well
known throughout the State. During the Pres-
idential campaigns of Garfield, Blaine and Har-
rison he took an active part.Moing much for the
success of his party and dealing the opposite
party powerful and effective blows. Mr. Elli-
son is an eloquent and argumentative speaker,
carrying his opponent's position by storm. In
1884 he was nominated for the State Assembly
by his party, and was elected by a large major-
ity. He served during the session and also the
extra session of 1886, in a manner which re-
flected credit both on himself and his constitu-
ents. While there he held the important posi-
tion of Chairman of the Judiciary Committee.
He is now a member of the Republican County
Central Committee of Tehama County.

In 1888 Mr. Ellison was a Republican dele-
gate to the National Convention at Chicago,
and was strongly in favor of the greatest states-
man in the country, James G. Blaine; but
finally aided in the nomination of President
Harrison. After the convention he visited his
relatives and friends in Virginia, took a trip
through the East and returned home. In 1890
he was a delegate to the Republican State Con-
vention held at Sacramento, and was one of the
Committee on Resolutions. His name was
urged for chairman of the convention, but he
declined to accept.

Aside from the many duties of his profession
and the numerous public positions he has tilled,
Mr. Ellison has also been engaged in other pur-
suits. He has a ranch of 1,500 acres, on which



HISTORY OF NORrnEBN CALIFORNIA.



he is raising hogs, mules and trotting horses.
He owns 640 acres of choice farming land in
Colusa County, and 240 acres near Corning,
Tehama County. He has a tine residence at
tiie corner of Main and Cedar streets, and also
owns other valuable property in lied BlutF.

In 1880 Mr. Ellison was united in marriage
with Miss Minnie B. Cason, a native of How-
ard County, Missouri. She is a daughter of
Mr. Benjamin Cason, a prominent planter of
Missouri before the war. He lost nearly all his
property in that great struggle, and died from
exposure incurred while in the Soiithern army.

Mr. Ellison is a member of the A. O. D. W.
and a Eoyal-Arch Mason. He is a man of
force and energy of character, a thorough law-
yer, standing in the front rank of his profes-
sion. He has just been elected by a large
majority Superior Judge of Tehama County.



fRED GROTEFEN D, cashier of the Shasta
County Bank, is a native of Shasta, Cali-
fornia, born February 18, 1857. His
father, Augustus Grotefend, was born in Ger-
many; came to the United States when a boy;
crossed the plains to California, in 1849, with
Mr. H. F. Johnson. Upon arrival in this State
lie located at Shasta and engaged in mining.
He married Miss Amelia Zumdahl, a native of
Germany, who crossed the plains to California
in 1852. To them were born seven children,
all of whom are living. The father died in
June, 1889.

The subject of this sketcli was reared and
educated in his native town. At the age of
thirteen years he entered his father's store, and
remained there until April 1, 1886. At that
date he came to Redding to accept tlie position
of cashier of the bank in which he is a stock-
holder. Mr. Grotefend has built a nice resi-
dence on Pine street, between Shasta and Sac-
ramento streets; has several other residences
and city properties in Redding; owns a num-



ber of ranches in Shasta and Trinity counties,
aud also has mining interests.

April 14, 1886, he married Miss Elizabeth
Eaton, a native of California. The writer of
this article learned from the files of the Red-
ding papers that the marriage of this prominent
young couple was the finest and most noted
event of the kind which ever occurred in this
county. They have one child, a daughter.
Mr. Grotefend is a member of Mount Shasta
Parlor, N. S. G. W., and is Past President of
the parlor. For two terms he has been Treas-
urer of Redding. In politics he is a Repub-
lican. Mr. Grotefend takes a lively interest
in the affairs of his county and country, and is
a most agreeable and obliging business man.

— '^^^nw^ —



fHARLES R. GRITMAN, cashier of the
Bank of Napa, has been a citizen of that
place since 1876. He was born in Provi-
dence, Rhode Island, December 10, 1838. At-
tending the local schools and academy in his
native place he entered Yale Callege in 1861,
but soon enlisted in the Twenty- third Connecti-
cut. He remained with this regiment during
its term of service, when he was employed for
some time in Washington in various positions
under the Government. Engaging in business
in Chicago, in 1865, his firm was so crippled
by the great fire that they retired a year later,
and Mr. Gritman removed to Evanston, Wyo-
ming Territory. After several years' connec-
tion in biisiness there he decided to come to
California, and settled in Napa, where he has
since resided, aud as will readily be seen is one
of the most active and enterprising citizens.
He is interested in the Napa Woolen Mills and
Napa Valley Wine Company, is a director in
both of these companies, and the secretary of
the former. He is also the treasurer of the
Napa Building and Loan Association, which
has been of great assistance in the erection of a
large number of houses for its members. Tills
association is also extending its operations to



BISTORT OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



the building of houses on the ranches in tlie
vicinity.

Mr. Gritinan was married July 22, 1869, to
Miss Ellen 0. Head, of New Haven, Oswego
C<iunty, New York. He is a member of the
Masonic order, Yount Lodge, of Napa Chapter,
and of Golden Gate Commandery, Knights
Templar, of Napa Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F.,
of the Knights of Honor, and of the American
Order of United Workmen. He is the Grand
Senior Warden of the Grand Lodge of Califor-
nia, F. & A M., and filled for several years the
position of chairman of the committee on
finance of the Grand Lodge previous to being
elected Grand Senior Warden.

'^^■^ -••



fH AELES CA MDEN is one of the pioneers
of California and one of the prominent
citizens of the State who are Justly en-
titled to the honor of having founded the great
commonwealth in which its citizens and the
nation take such pride. Charles Camden is
not a man who desires notoriety, — indeed, he
shinks from anything that would appear like
it; and it was with great difficulty that he could
be induced to give the modest statement on
which this brief story of his life is founded.
Having been one of the pioneer miners and
early settlers of Shasta County, and having
taken a prominent part in the development of
the connty and its rich inines, a history of
Shasta Connty and her citizens would be incom-
plete without a few ungarnished facts in regard
to him, and on that basis he lias been persuaded
to give them.

Mr. Camden is a native of England, born
January 29, 1817, of English parents. He was
educated in England, and in 1834, when seven-
teen years of age, emigrated to New York, re-
mained there for some time and vibrated be-
tween there and Louisiana up to 1845, when he
came to the Pacific Coast. He was one year at
Valparaiso, and three years in Pern, and a large
portion of the time at Cerro Pasco silver



mines, where he, with associates under contract
with owners, successfully drained mines still
rich, but abandoned for fifty years or more
through lack of local energy and machinery to
do it. From there he went to San Francisco,
arriving on the 2d day of October, 1849. In
the following March he left San Francisco in
search of the mouth of the Trinity River.
From the first to the last of March thei^ were
tliirteen vessels that left with passengers with
that object in view. His vessel, the Jacob M.
Ryerson, was the first to enter Eel River. Dis-
covering that they were wrong, they came out
of the river and passed into Humboldt Bay.
His company joined the Sonoma Company that
came overland, and located the town of Unioii-
ville (now called Areata). He, in company witli
Levi H. Tower and two others, left the bay to
go to the Trinity Mines, some ninety miles dis-
tant, after assertaining the direction to take,
from one of the Sonoma party who had come
through in the fall. Mr. Camden set his com-
pass for their course and the party started, be-
ing the first white men that went from the
coast to the inines, although four others had
crossed to the coast the previous fall. They
were some five days in crossing and fifteen
miles out of course when they got across. They
established a ferry at the junction of the south
fork and the main Trinity, and left John Hind-
man, who had crossed with them, in charge of
the ferry, who afterward was driven away by
hostile Indians, escaping in the dark after figlit-
ing them several hours with rifle and gun from
his puncheon cabin; and Messrs. Camden and
Tower mined on the Trinity and the Salmon
rivers until the fall. In November, 1850, he
came to Shasta County, where the Tower House
now is, built by Mr. Tower, within a few yards
of where the Tower House now stands, and in
the avenue a little north of it they made their
first camp and slept in their blankets, a few
rods to the southwest of this spot. Mr. Cam-
den, in 1852, built his house where he has since
resided, with his family, but for the last twenty
years they have spent their winters in their



044



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



liome at Oakland, where he has large property
interests. Their home near the Tower House
is a beautiful and ornamental spot, surrounded
with all kinds of fruit and nut trees grown in
the sub-tropical zone. (The orchards were
planted mostly by Levi H. Tower, now deceased,
who was Mrs. Camden's brother.) For years
this orchard was the principal one north of
Maryswille. They also have many nice flower-
ing plants, and such a home makes a delight-
ful retreat. The creek where Mr. Camden did
placer mining for several years runs in front of
the house, and only a short distance from it.
It was in this creek and bars adjoining that he
made his first permanent start in California. It
was not as rich as some of the mines, but its
yitld was very uniform, his average work being
from |>10 to $30 per day to the man, and his
richest pan of dirt $650 in tine gold. He
mined that creek for nearly a mile, and fol-
lowed the business there until 1866, taking out
over $80,000; and, unlike most '49ers, he has
kept it and added to it greatly. He has been
engaged in many other enterprises, such as or-



Online LibraryLewis Publishing Company. cnA memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today → online text (page 107 of 138)