Copyright
Lewis Publishing Company. cn.

A memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today online

. (page 56 of 138)
Online LibraryLewis Publishing Company. cnA memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today → online text (page 56 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


agreement bad been entered into between the
parties, to tbe effect that Basil was to work in
California ten years for Stephens, and have his
liberty at the end of that time; one hundred
dollars per year, to be paid annually, was to be
given to Basil during that time, and if, during
tbe ten years, he had money enough to buy his
freedom in a less time, Mr. Stephens was to
name a reasonable price. In 1861 he paid
$700 for the remaining three years of his time,
and then was free. Djiring those seven years,
Basil had been investiTig bis money in stock,
and was worth in 1861 probably $10,000. In

1865, he commenced acquiring real estate, and
in 1879, had 2,960 acres, worth about twenty
dollars per acre on an average, and between live
and ten thousand dollars' worth of live stock.
In 1865 he was elected as a delegate to attend
the State convention of colored people that met
at Sacramento, being chosen as one of fhe vice-
presidents. In 1873, he was again elected to
the State Colored Convention, and was chosen
by that body as a State delegate to attend the
National Colored Convention at Washington,
District of Columbia. He was married to Re-
becca Dalton, at Sacramento city, August 5,

1866, and has an adopted child — Lenora. Mr.
Campbell is living upon the proceeds of his
accumulated wealth. He informed us that he
considered himself fortunate in his masters in
those days of servitude; that he was always
kindly treated; and that in J. D. Stephens he
found a friend rather than a master, who gave
him a chance in the world that few of his race
had been favored with.

In conclusion, we would like to ask you,



reader, how many white men of yonr acquaint-
ance, think you, could be mentioned that would
have fulfilled the contiact of working ten years
for freedom, when the law gave it without a
cent as soon as the soil of California was reached,
as did this man who had been born a slave.



►>«-



PARON A. VON SCHILLING.— This gen-
tlemen is the manager of the celebrated
Edgehill vineyard, near St. Helena, one
ot the finest large vineyards set out in this part
of the valley, and long famous for the line qual-
ity of the wines manufactured. It was origi-
nally set out by a General Heath many years
ago, and has associated with its history many
well-known names. The estate comprises 1,500
acres, running from the valley to the summit of
the mountains, possesses a great abundance of
water, a desideratum in the Napa Valley, and
is splendidly improved. The residence is one
of the finest in the vicinity, has line grounds
and commands an expanded view. The wine
cellars, etc., are solidly constructed and con-
veniently arranged. The vineyard proper com-
prises 160 acres, planted with the choice vari-
eties of grapes. Messrs. George W. Phillips,
capitalist, E. Dichman, banker and lawyer, both
of New York city, are the chief owners of the
Edgehill vineyard, and direct its general affairs.
As a matter of friendship for them. Baron Von
Schilling has taken charge of the Edgehill. The
Baron is also the general manager in California
for the American Concentrated Must Company,
which erected the successful Must Condensing
establishment (Springmnhl patent) at Geyser-
ville, Sonoma County, now in successful oper-
ation.

Baron August von Schilling Canstatt is a
member of one of the oldest and most famous
German families, the genealogical or historical
tree of which goes back to 1019, A. D., and in-
cludes statesmen, warriors and leading men in
almost every department of life, and has its
home at Canstatt, Wurtemberg. A cousin of



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



the Baron, the Baron Paul von Schillicg Can-
statt, now dead, was a member of tlie Russian
Imperial ministry and the inventor of the
electro-magnetic telegraph in 1835. By im-
perial decree the lirst telegraphic cable was
laid bstwesn Peterhof and Canstatt in the Fin-
nish bay, in May, 1837.

Baron August was born January 12, 1840,
at Carlsruhe, in Baden, and is the youngest of
his family, his oldest brother still residing on
the family estate. Baron August was educated
as a civil engineer and architect, although on
the old home plaee also learning thoroughly the
business of a farmer. For fifteen years he was

engaged in the building of railroads in Ger-
es o D

many, until in 1881 he came to America, and
was sent with a Mr. Windsor to travel over the
country and inspect the line of the Northern
Pacific for Mr. Villard, going in this way on
horseback across Minnesota, Montana, Idaho,
Oregon and Washington, visiting the Yellow-
stone Park and the Sioux and Crow Indians.
After this journey he remained in Portland un-
til Villard resigned the presidency of the road,
in 1884. The Baron then came to San Fran-
cisco, went thence to Blue Lake, Lake County,
where he had an interest in the Blue Lake sum-
mer resort, and thence to Geyserville, to take
charge of the condensed must plant, which is
succeeding so well.

He is an unmarried man, a gentleman in the
fullest sense of the word, whom it is a jileasure
to meet.



fABLE & BRO. — The father of these
gentlemen, Solomon Gable, was horn May
21, 1796, the seventh son of a seventh son.
In the family there were probably nine children
eight sons and one daughter. Frederick, one of
these sons and probably the only one who be-
came wealthy, was a banker of Little York,
Pennsylvania; but after his death the executors
appropriated all the property, so that the heirs
obtained none. Although married, he died



childless. Solomon Gable married Elizabeth
Dull, also a Pennsylvanian, and after six chil-
dren were born in his family he moved from
Pennsylvania to Ohio, where eight of his chil-
dren were born. He had altogether nine sons
and five daughters. The youngest girl of the
family died at the age of three years, and there
are now living five sons and one dauo-hter.
Eleven of the family grew up to years of
maturity. Three brothers are in California, one
of whom, Aaron Sylvester Gable, is a resident

at Soledad, Monterey County, and two A. W.

and H. C— are the subjects of this sketch. The
eldest son, Andrew Gable, was a commissioned
officer in the Mexican war, being promoted to
that position for great merit and bravery; and
he received the title to a large tract of land in
Texas, where he made his home, and while a
resident there he mnde two visits to his parents.
He died there, willing his property to some
friends who took care of him during his sickness.
In 1843 Ml'. Solomon Gable moved to Van Buren
County, in the southeastern part of Iowa
settling upon a rented farm, and afterward, in
the spring of 1846 he removed into Appanoose
County, near by, where he took Government
land and followed fartningand stock-raisino- for
the remainder of his life, being prosperous in
both vocations. He died in June, 1846, from
the breaking of a blood-vessel caused by lifting
some logs, in the prime of life.

A. W. Gable is a director of the Bank of
Yolo, which was incorporated in January, 1888,
with between sixty and seventy stockholders.
At the time of the organization no one was
allowed to hold more that $10,000 stock; and it
is a stipulation that no additional purchases can
be made except by permission of the board of
trustees. At present no stockholder holds
more than §13,000, and only one holds that
amount. There are only three stockholders
outside of the county, and the total amount of
their holding is but $12,000. Paid up capital
is $300,000. On the first of next January it
will have a reserve fund of $66,000, which has
been accumulated during the six years of its



IIISTORT OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



organization, besides the regular dividends, —
which have been never less that eight per cent,
per annum, and for the last two years it have
been nine per cent, per annum. The first
assistant cashier, Ed. G. Gregg, died at River-
side, San Bernardino Connty, in 1888; and
Charles L. Richmond succeeded him in the posi-
tion; this is the only change in the official board
since organization except as noted below. The
directors are Hon. D. N. Hersiiey, Hon. Charles
F. Reed, H. P. Merritt, W. W. Erowneli, Hon.
S. N. Mering, E. R. Lowe, A. W. Gable, Benj.
Peart and A. U. Porter. The present officers
are, H. P. Merritt, President; W. W. Brownell,
Vice-presicent; C. W. Bush. Manager and
Casiiier; and Charles L. Riclimond, Assistant
Cashier. Mr. J. W. Freeman, an original di-
rector, disposed of his interests in the bank,
soon after its organization, and Mr. A. W.
Gable was elected his successor.



►5<-»S-



fEORGE BRAMMAR, a prominent black-
smith of Livermore, was born in Sharon,
Canada, October 1, 1845, and learned in
his native place the trade of blacksmith and
wheelwright. Was educated in Queens ville,
Ontario, Canada, and in 1875 he came to Cali-
f irnia and the first year stopped in Stockton.
Thence he went to Linden, twelve miles east of
Stockton, ibr a short time, and finally, in 1876,
he came to Livermore, where he is now carry-
ing on general repair shop for agricnltuial im-
plements, and is enjoying a lucrative trade. He
was married in Canada, in May, 1875, to
Catharine Robinson, and their two childien are
George A. and Ethel C. Brammar.

^-^3.-,^;

tH. TRAINOR. — This gentleman is a
member of the leading firm of Mackinder
" & Trainor, real estate and insurance
agents of St. Helena and Napa City. The office
in the latter city was established in the spring



of 1890, when Mr. Trainor took up his resi-
dence there, the business being originally estab-
lished in St. Helena, where Mr. Trainor lived
for many years. In Messrs. Trainor and Mac-
kinder is found two splendid business men, the
former seeming especially adapted to the out-
side " rustling," and the latter to the office
duties. Between them they make as bright and
lively a firm as possible to have, each of them
being a favorite with every one and command-
ing the entire confidence of the community.
Mr. Trainor is an excellent example of that best
type of the American citizen, the self-made
man, having received nothing fi-oni his parents
but a level head and a strong frame coupled
with an unlimited capacity for work. Conse-
quently he deserves all that he has got.

Mr. Trainor was born near Galena, Illinois,
in July, 1852, his father being Oliver I. Trainor,
a farmer of that section until 1859, when he
came to California, s;nd shortly after died, leav-
ing his family in narrow circumstances. At
the outbreak of the war the elder sons went to
the front, and would have been followed there by
L. H., had he been old enough to go. In 1862,
when about ten years of age, he came to this
coast, and for several years was employed about
farms in the vicinity of Sacramento. In 1870
he went to Oregon, and was engaged in the
carttle business. He was a pioneer of the Uma-
tilla section in that State, helping build the now
prosperous city of Heppner. In 1879 he re-
turned to California and engaged extensively in
the cattle business at Reno. JN'evada. Owing to
an open season, however, he lost all, and was
forced to make another start. This he did by
entering the employment of the Central Pacific
Railroad. Thus he continued for three years.
In 1882 he came to Napa County, purchased a
vineyard above St. Helena and engaged in grape-
growing. Later on he sold this and bought
again, finally buying his present beautiful place
below town, in 1885. and erecting his comfort-
able home upon it. He has thirty acres, all
planted to grapes except the .«ite for the house
and grounds. At the same time Mr. Trainor



H18T0BT OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



traveled on the road, selling wine, until in
1888, wlien he entered into partnership with
Mr. Mackinder.

He was married in Colfax, Placer County, to
Miss Ida M. Graham. They have two sons,
one twelve and the other seven years of age.
Mr. Trainor is a Mason in high standing, being
also a Knight Templar.



fl. McCONNELL,of Woodland. The
father of the subject of this sketch, George
** M. McConnell, was born December 24,
1817, in McMinn County, East Tennessee, and
in 1850 came with his family, consisting of wife
and two sons, to California, by way of Salt Lake,
arriving at the mines at Coloma in September.
After working in tlie mines for two years, he
came down to Sacramento city with the inten-
tion of returning East by water; but, as the
floods were high and no steamers going, he was
persuaded by friends to go into Yolo County
and pre-empt a claim about a mile east of the
city of Woodland. He followed farming there
until 1858; then he moved to Sonoma County,
where he remained until 1868, and finally set-
tled in Hollister, San Benito County, where he
still resides. His wife, whose maiden name was
Mary Jane Adams, was a native of Tennessee,
and died at Hollister in 1871, at the age of
tifty-three years. They were the parents of
three children, all of whom are now living, viz.:
William E., who resides in Santa Rosa; James
I., the subject of this sketch, and George W.,
who was born in Yolo County, and resides at
Hollister.

James I. was born in Tennessee, December
18, 1845, and was tiierefore live years old when
he was brought to this State. He was educated
at different places, but mostly at Sonoma, at a
Presbyterian school, as his father was a Cum-
berland Presbyterian. From 1868 to 1871 he
taught school in San Joaquin County; then
two years in the department of mathematics
in Hesperian College at Woodland; next.



1880-'85, he was Principal of the public
school of Woodland, and then, 1885-'87, he
had editorial charge of the Daily Democrat; and
finally, in 1888, he was appointed Postmaster of
Woodland. He is president of the Woodland
Building and Loan Associatioji, which was or-
ganized about four years ago; and while he was
a teacher he was also a member of the Educa-
tional Board of this county for six years. In
all his public positions he has given satisfaction,
being social, pleasant-mannered and accommo-
dating. He is a member of the orders of the
United Workmen and Knights of Pythias, and
has filled all the offices in the lodges of both
societies in Woodland.

Mr. McConnell was married in 1871 to
Miss Lillian Swain, a native of Marshall, Michi-
gan, and they have one daughter, named Ger-
trude L.

,<^, ^^i . ^-^



tORENZ HEINZ, a farmer northwest of
Davisville, in Yolo County, was born Jan-
uary 9, 1828, in the Kingdom of Wirtem-
berg, Germany, a son of Franz and Margaret
Heinz, natives of Germany. He was brought
up on a farm in the old country; his father being
a blacksmith he learned the same trade, and at
the age of twenty, being the only son and his
father over sixty years old, lie was exempt from
further army service. In 1849 he sailed from
France to America on the vessel Havre, and
was thirty-six days on the voyage. Landing at
New York lie remained there for a short there
for a short time and went to Philadelphia, and
engaged at farm work near by in Chester
County, in the employ of a man named Robert
Brown, for one year at $87. He then was em -
ployed at his trade, blacksmithing and boiler-
making, in Philadelphia until the fall of 1852,
when he sailed from New York on the steamer
Uncle Sam for California, by way of the Isth-
mus, on the Pacific side taking the steamer
Cortez, and landing in San Francisco January 6,
1853. In that strange city he endeavored to



328



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



liiid employment for a luonth, but in vain, and
as lie was without means he became sadly dis-
couraged. Eoard was $13 a week, even for the
plainest kind. At leirgth he obtained a position
in a manufactorj of iron doors and shutters, at
$5 a day; but in a inontli lie concluded to go
with some friends to Australia and gave up his
situation; but the trip was given up and his
occupation gone. He went to Sacramento and
then started to the mines near Colusa on a
steamer, which broke a shaft on the way, and
while it was lying to for repairs Mr. Heinz met
Some miners returning who gave discouraging
accounts. He returned again to Sacramento,
heart-sick and discouraged. He went to the
mines again, only to meet further discourage-
ment, and even opposition. After hunting
around for some time for employment, he was
engaged by Wallace Barnes, at §50 a month,
and he worked for him six months, but never
leceived a cent of money for it! Kext he en-
gaged in a manufactory of iron doors and shut-
ters at Sacramento; next in a vegetable garden
for Mr. Muldrow until spring, when he again
went to Sacramento and engaged in the manu-
facture of iron doors and shutters tor Radcliff &
Company. Thus he was employed until the
fall of 1854, by which time he had accumulated
about §400. Placing this in a bank, he t-truck
out for the mines at Iowa Hill, where he worked
for awhile, only for poor returns. In the spring
of 1855 he went again to Sacramento, only to
tind that the bank had failed and all his hard-
earned money gone! This almost uninterrupted
series of disasters were enough to drive any
commuu man insane, but Mr. Heinz still held
up his head, and hired himself to a Yolo County
man named Alexander Manor for the summer.
He worked for various parties until the fall of
1860, when he with a band of sheep, located
where he now lives, upon a half section of land,
which he obtained of a scjuatter, at a cost of
$800; and three years later he bought it a second
time with school warrants of the State of Cali-
fornia. He has, however, continued courage-
ously on until long since he has made a tine



home. His farm is one of tlie best kept in that
section of the county, and comprises 337 acres.
What an example we have, in the sketch of such
a noble citizen, of patience and perseverance!

Mr. Heinz was married December, 1862, to
Miss Caroline Weimer, and they had two sons
— Charley and Theodore. Mr. Heinz was mar-
ried again in the fall of 1871, to Miss Lucia
Xuehnel, a native of Germany, and they have
three children, namely, Julia, August J. and
Lucia.



iILO EUSHiNELL POND, M. D., has
been a resident of California since
^^^ 1858, and of Napa for the past twenty-
three years, during which latter time he has
been constantly engaged in the practice of the
medical profes^sion. His parents were A. -R.
and F. M. (Bushnell) Pond, natives of Ver-
mont, and descended from the original Puritan
stock. They had settled in Dearborn County,
Indiana, where the subject of this sketch was
born in 1836, but afterward went to Illinois,
and later still to the county-seat of Grant
County, Wisconsin, where the father engaged
in farming in that frontier settlement, then in
the very vanguard of civilization, the son bear-
ing his share of its labors, and attending the
public schools of the town. At one of the oc-
casional school exhibitions, the teacher intro-
duced a spelling-bee on a small scale as one of
the attactions, where young Pond spelled down
the school. Among those present were Allen
Barber, District Attorney for the county, and
Judge Nelson Dewey; and when volunteers
were called for to defeat the champion, tliey
accepted the challenge. Elevating the boy, then
only six years old, upon a barrel, the contests
were renewed. Each one who failed to spell
his word correctly being forced to take his seat,
young Master Pond was again the only one left
standing! Frightened by the cheers that arose,
lie fell ofl" the barrel, and was at last " knocked
out" by the applause that followed his victory!



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



329



In 1849, during the excitement following the
gold discovery, his father crossed the plains to
California, meeting with the varied experiences
common to those who piloted the prairie schooners
of that day over the almost trackless desert.
Following the usual variety of employments,
he first engaged in mining, then ran a freight
boat on the Sacramento River, then back to the
mines, and finally settled in Vaca Valley, So-
lano County, on a farm. Meanwhile the family,
in 1853, fitted themselves out with ox teams, —
one driven by the subject of this sketch and the
other by his eldest brother, Jared James, — and
started to cross the plains to join the father in
his California home. Arriving safely, and
bringing through with them the name teams
with which they left the States, in spite of the
hardships of the journey and the attempts of
the Indians to run off their stock, the happily
united family settled down upon tiie farm in
Solano County.

Here he invested in two scholarships of the
Ulatis Academy, organized and managed by
James W. Anderson, the present superin-
tendent of schools in San Francisco, where he
received the balance of his English education,
alternately attending school and assisting his
father upon the farm, mastering Davies' ele-
mentary algebra while resting his team at the
plow. Leaving the academy he taught school
at Fairfield for one year, at the same time hold-
ing an appointment as one of the County Board
uf Education, which position he retained for
three j-ears. While teaching, he began the
study of medicine in the office of Dr. Stillman
Holmes, then and for some years afterward
practicing at Vacaville,. Beginning with 1862,
he attended two courses of medical lectures in
the University of the Pacific, at San Francisco,
after the first course being appointed apothecary
at the city and county hospital, retaining this
position until 1865, and continuing as assistant
physician in the same institution for a year after
his graduHtion. The medical department of the
university having temporarily suspended oper-
ations, and the Toland Medical School, now tlie



medical department of the University of Cali-
fornia, opening in 1864, Dr. Pond attended his
third course of lectures there, passing his ex-
amination in March, 1865, and receiving his
diploma as a physician and surgeon. In 1870,
the University of the Pacific, having re-organ-
ized its medical department, and being about to
hold its first commencement, invited Dr. Pond
to an examination and participation in the exer-
cises as one of their students, where, after pass-
ing the usual exaniniations, he was awarded an
ad-eundum degree from this institution.

In 1866 he removed to Napa, where he has
since devoted himself to his extensive practice
as a physician. To Dr. Pond is really due the
invention of the split tracheotomy tube, which
enables the operator to expk)re the trachea for
the purpose of cleansing the throat in cases of
membranous croup, or removing the mem-
brane or foreign bodies that may accidentally
lodge in that passage. The occasion of this
invention was its necessity in the case of a
child two years old under the Doctor's care,
who had drawn a watermelon seed into its
windpipe. By means of this instrument the
operator can dilate the opening so as to look
down into the windpipe or upwards into ihe
larnyx, can use a sponge to cleanse, or a for-
ceps to withdraw any foreign body, and all
under tlie direction of the eye. Dr. Pond pre-
sented this invention to the medical society in
1873, with a description of the operation,
which was published in the transactions of
that body, illustrated with an engraving. At
tin- same time he presented an instrument he
had designed for the introduction of sutures in
operations in case of cleft palate and ve»ico-
vaginal fistula. This was a double-curved
needle, with an eye in the point, by means of
which sutures were introduced with much
greater facility in these difficult operations than
with those needles in common use by the pro-
fession. A cut and description of this needle
was also published in the same volume of the
transactions of the society.

Some years ago the State Legislature passed



BISTORT OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



ail act authorizing the Governor to appoint a
commission for the purpose of selectinj^ a sita
for a sanitarium for the treatment of con-
sumption. This commission examined every
situation of promise in the State; three of them,
Drs. Logan, Gibbon and Hatch (since deceased)
visited Napa, and, with Dr. Pond investigating
the different points in this county, finally con-
fined their endorsraent to two of them. Mount
Veeder and Atlas Peak. More favorably im-
pressed with the latter from the probable dry-
ness of its atmosphere on account of its great
elevation, they still felt that this advantage
might be offset hy the presence of the fir tim-
ber on Mount Veeder. Nothing has ever been
doive by the State toward establishing the
sanitarium; but, feeling the necessity and the



Online LibraryLewis Publishing Company. cnA memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today → online text (page 56 of 138)