Copyright
Lewis Publishing Company. cn.

A memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today online

. (page 88 of 138)
Online LibraryLewis Publishing Company. cnA memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today → online text (page 88 of 138)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


job printing office of that city. Jolm Poore,
the patriarch of this now very numerous family,
was born in 1615, in Wiltshire, England, and
emigrated to America in 1635, settling at New-
bury, Massachusetts, the first man of that name
whosettledin America. Thehousewhich hebuilt
has stood for 250 years, and eight generations of
tlie family have been born in it; and it is still
in their possession. He was a leading citizen
of his time, holding numerous offices of honor
and trust. He had seven children, and died
November 21, 1684, perishing with hunger and
cold while hunting in the woods near Andover.
His son, John Poore, was born June 21, 1642,
lived on the homestead of his father, was a col-
lector of taxes, held other offices of trust,
married, February 27, 1665, Mary Titcomb,
liad eight children, and died February 15, 1701.
His son, Jonathan, was born February 25, 1678,
lived on the old homestead, was a selectman
of his town, held various other offices, was mar-
ried August 18, 1703, to Rebecca Hale, a
native of Newbury, had nine children, and died
June 30, 1742. His son Daniel was born in
Newbury, Massachusetts, March 13, 1716, set-
tled on wild land given him by his fatlier in
Haverhill, Massachusetts, cleared it and built
upon it; this property still remains in the
family. He was a prominent land owner and a
surveyor. He married, November 27, 1739,
Anna Morrill, a native of Haverhill, and they



had six children. In his will he bequeathed
his estate to his son Jonathan, emancipated his
negro girl named Phillis, and died July 9, 1792.
His son John was born in Plaistow, New
Hampshire, July 8, 1756, graduated at Howard
College in 1775, became a school-teacher and
was the first principal of the Young Ladies'
Academy, established in Philadelphia in 1787,
which was the first institution of the sort in the
country, and perhaps the first in the world.
He taught vocal music, and while in Phila-
delphia taught one of the three Sunday-schools
then in the city; it was on Cherry street. He
was also ruling elder of the Presbyterian
Church. He was twice married, — first Novem-
ber 2, 1777, to Sarah Folsome, by whom he had
four children. She died August 3, 1784; and
for his second wife he married Jane Neely, by
whom he had six children; he died December
5, 1829. His son, Charles Merrill Poore, was
born in Greenland, New Hampshire, July 14,
1782; was a dry -goods merchant, commencing
business in 1805, at Fells Point, in the eastern
part of Baltimore, Maryland; removed in 1812
to York Haven, Peimsylvania, where he lived
until his death, from cholera, November 8,
1832, at Baltimore, where he had gone on busi-
ness. He was Postmaster in York Haven, for
over twenty years, a man of sterling integrity
noted for his moral and religious principles,
founded and conducted the first Sabbath- school
and was ruling elder of the Presbyterian
Church of York, Pennsylvania. He married
July 4, 1809, Mrs. Elizabeth, widow of Francis
C. Roberts, whose maiden name was Elizabeth
Karg. She was born in Baltimore, Maryland,
December 21, 1784, and died at Harrisburg,
Pennsylvania, March 15, 1858. Her parents
were from Brunswick on the Rhine in Germany.
They had ten children, of whom George Alfred
Poore, the subject of this sketch, was the
youngest.

He was born in West Hanover, Dauphin
County, Pennsylvania, December 14, 1825, and
moved with his mother and sisters to Ohio,
in 1839, and in 1840 began to learn the print-



523



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



ing business, at which he worked until 1848.
His residence then was Independence, Missouri,
whence he went to Santa Fe, x^ew Mexico; was
there one year and left in May, 1849, for Cali-
fornia, wliere he arrived in September. He
kept a hotel and trading post in Green Valley,
El Dorado County, from the winter of 1849 until
the summer of 1851. He farmed and raised
stock five miles south of Sacramento from the
fall of 1851 to 1859, when he moved to Tehama
County and continued farming, etc., until the
fall of 1866 when he moved to Vallejo, Solano
County, and started the pioneer newspaper of
that place, the Vallejo Recorder^ issuing the first
number February 23, 1867. It was at first a
weekly, then a semi-weekly and finally a daily.
It was the leading Republican paper in the Third
Congressional District.

Mr. Poore was married June 29, 1851, at
White Oak Springs, El Dorado, County, Cali-
fornia, to Miss Margaret Melvina Patchet, the
daughterof John and Esther (Passmore) Patchet,
born near Springfield, Illinois, Jan. 19, 1836. Her
death occureed at Red Bluff, this State, January
28,1878. Her father was a native of England, and
her mother a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. and
Mrs. Poore had nine children, four of whom
are living, namely: Charles McFadden, Martha
Ann, Margaret Isabella and Mary Jenison, all
natives of California. Mr. Poore removed from
Red Bluff to Redding with his family in 1887,
and opened his job printing office, in which he
is doing a successful business. He is a stanch
Republican and a member of the I. O. O. F.



fASPER A. OSTRANDER, M. D., home-
opathic physician, Fairfield, Solano County,
is a native California, born in Merced
County in 1856. His parents were H. J. and
Lydia A. (Wheeler) Ostrauder, natives of New
York State and still residents of Merced County,
where the father still owns and operates a
ranch and is interested in the firm of Ostrander
& Sons, real-estate agents. Dr. Ostrander at an



early age was sent to the public school at Santa
Clara, and later to the Friends' Academy, and
at Union Springs, Cayuga County, New York,
four years; and then one year at Ithaca Acad-
emy, and one year at Cornell University, — these
schools being in New York State. Returning
then to California, he attended the State
University at Berkeley one year. His health
failing, he was obliged to abandon his course of
study and returned to his father's farm, where he
remained until 1884, engaged in agricultural pur-
suits, thus fully recovering his health and vi-
gor. In the year 1885 he entered the Hahne-
mann Hospital Medical College of San Fran-
cisco, where he attended lectures for three years,
graduating in the class of 1888. He practiced
in Oakland until June, 1889, when he purchased
the practice of Dr. H. S. Bradley at Fairfield,
where he has since resided engaged in his
chosen profession. He is a member of the
Homeopathic Medical Society, of the order of
the Knights of Pythias and of the Native Sons
of the Golden West.

The Doctor was married October 23, 1884,
to Mrs. E. S. Moberly, a native of Illinois, and
they have two children, Olive L., born August
14, 1885; and Annis M., born May 30, 1890.

fAMES WAEREN STITT, M. D., has been
a resident of California for the past eight
years, and of Vacaville for seven years. He
was born near Carlisle, Kentucky, in 1854. His
parents, William J. and Mary (Bradley) Stitt,
were also natives of that State. Graduating at
the Versailles Academy, in 1872, he com-
menced the study of medicine under the precep-
torship of Dr. Daniel Drake Carter, one of the
best known physicians of Kentucky. After
studying with him until after 1878, and at
Bellevue Hospital Medical College, of New
Y'ork city, he graduated at that institution and
immediately commenced practice in company
with his former preceptor at Versailles. Find-
ing his health somewhat impaired at the end of



HiarORT OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



three years, he went to Las Vegas, New Mex-
ico, and took charge of the Railroad Hospital at
that point; but, not liking the situation, he
proceeded to Ysleta, Texas, where he passed a
year and a half in the practice of his profession.
Next he spent a year in San Francisco, where
he found the climate unsuitable to his condition,
and then he came on to Vacaville, where he has
built up an extensive practice. He is a member
of the State and County Medical Societies, of
the Solano County Board of Health, of Land-
mark Lodge, No. 41, F. & A. M., of Versailles,
Kentucky, and of A''acaville Lodge, No. 83, I.
O. O. F. He is also interested with three
other gentlemen in a fruit farm of eighty acres
in Capay Valley, set out in peaches and apri-
cots, not yet in bearing.

Dr. Stitt was married in 1880, to Miss Jen-
nie Stevenson, a native of Vacaville and a
daughter of Colonel A. M. and Mrs. Maria
(Gardner) Stevenson; her father is a native of
Versailles and her mother of Arkansas. Dr.
Stitt has one child living, Annie Elizabeth, born
in January, 1889. One child, Marie, died at
the age of two years, in 1884-. Dr. Stitt's par-
ents are now residents of Vacaville, his father
owning a fruit ranch of twenty acres adjoining
the town.



fOEL A. HARVEY, County Clerk and Clerk
of the Board of Supervisors, dates his first
residence in California in 1859. During
that period, however, he has passed some years
in the mining region of Nevada. He was born
in Herkimer County, New York, in 1838, and
was brought up on a farm. At the age of
seventeen years he taught school two terms, and
then went "West, settling in Elgin, Illinois,
where for two years he ran a livery stable, in the
warehousing business, and also operated as a
clerk in the postoffice.

In 1859 he came to California across the
plains, assisting a cousin to bring a herd of
cattle from the prairies of Illinois. Starting in



April, they reached California September 30.
following, and he remained in the mountains
for a short time. Next for a fevf months, dur-
ing the winter of 1859-'60, he clerked in a
Placerville hotel. The next June he crossed
to Nevada, settling in Genoa, Carson Valley,
then a part of Utah Territory and under Mor-
mon control. He there engaged in dairying,
in which business also he had been brought up
in New York. At the end of two seasons he
sold out, and then, in December, 1861, on the
organization of the Territorial government of
Nevada, he was appointed Connty Clerk of
Douglas County, by Governor James W. Nye,
Genoa the county-seat; and on the organization
of the State he was elected to the same office,
and he was subsequently re-elected several
times up to 1867. Meanwhile he was agent for
Wells, Fargo & Co., and held the office of
Notary Public and Commissioner of Deeds for
California. Was then admitted as an attorney
at law in that State, he began the practice of
the profession, after a trip to the East; but soon
he became agent for Wells, Fargo & Co., first
at Wadsworth, Nevada, and then in 1869 at
Vallejo, California, for a year. He then estab-
lished and operated until 1874 the San Fran-
cisco & Vallejo Express, and at the tame time
conducted a brokerage business. In 1873 he
was elected County Clerk of Solano Connty,
taking his office in 1874; he was re-elected in
1875, and held the office until March, 1878.
In the fall of 1877 he was a candidate for the
office of County Judge, but, with many others
on the same ticket, was defeated. He then
practiced law for some time, when he was
elected to the State Constitutional Convention
which framed the present constitution of Cali-
fornia. He was then again engaged in his pro-
fession until he was again elected County Clerk
in 1880, which office he held until January 8,
1883. He was a member of the State Assembly
at Sacramento in 1883-'85. After practicing
law for two years more, he was again elected
Connty Clerk in 1886, and re-elected in 1888.
and that position he now holds.



524



HISTORY OP NORTHERN CALIFORNIA^



He has always been a stanch supporter of the
Republican party, and his popularity is demon-
strated by his frequent re-election.

He was married in 1862, to Miss Almeda L.
Hubbard, a native of Canada, and a daughter
of Tily and Hulda (Parish) Hubbard, the former
a native of Vermont, and the latter of New
York; they left Michigan for California in
1849. Mr. and Mrs. Harvey have six children:
Joel H., now Deputy County Clerk of Solano
County; Amanda L., now the wife of T. M.
Doyle, of Yallejo; May A., Inez A., Blanche
L. and Maud F. The family reside in Vallejo.



tEVIN N. SCOTT, a citizen of Yolo, in
Yolo County, retired from active business,
is a son of Robert J. and Charlotte Scott,
the former a native of North Carolina, and the
latter of Maryland, who emigrated in early day
to Adams County, Ohio, where Levin was born,
December 6, 1820. He was but five years of
age when the family moved with him to Illi-
nois, where they remained for twenty five years,
the father being a farmer most of the time. In
1841 Mr. Scott, our subject, married Miss
Wyatt, and had one daughter, Jamima Ann.
She died in Illinois, in February, 1843, and in
1847 Mr. Scott married Miss N A. Daughhetee,
a cative of Illinois. In 1850 they came over-
land to this State, stopping iirst in Nevada
County, after a journey of six months and live
days. Here Mr. Scott remained about seventeen
years, engaged in farming and merchandising
about three miles from Nevada City, on Rock
Creek. He then moved into Placer County,
purchased a ranch and was engaged in its cul-
tivation until 1889, when he disposed of it and
bought a tine large residence of fourteen rooms,
situated on a thirty-acre tract of land in Cache-
ville. There are now four children in the
family, and two have died. The living are
George H., Mary C, Edgar C. and James F. ;
and the deceased are Edward B. and Nancy A.
Mary C. is now tiie wife of J. P. Williams, and



has one child, named Mamie I. George, the
eldest son, is now engaged in freighting goods
through the mountains from Lincoln and
Auburn to Michigan Bluff, Forest Hill, etc.,
and Edgar C. is attending the Commercial Col-
lege at Woodland.

^-€B-^¥



ILLIAM A. ALBERTSON, the Post-
master of Roberts, Shasta County, Cali-
fornia, was born in Ohio, November
22, 1839. His grandfather, Jacob Albertson,
and his father, Joseph K. Albertson, were both
natives of Pennsylvania. The family originated
in Amsterdam, Holland. His father married
Amanda Hutchinson, a native of Ohio, and they
had ten children; six of whom are still living.
Mr. Albertson, the second child, and the sub-
ject of this sketch, partly learned the black-
mith's trade in Ohio, and when nineteen years
of age, in 1859, came to Millville, California,
and there completed his trade. Since tlien he
has been a farmer, blacksmith and miner. He
took up 320 acres of land on Cow Creek, and
added to it 320 acres of railroad land, and in-
cluded in his farming also stock-raising. Some
years afterward he sold his property and pur-
chased eighty acres where Roberts now is, on
which, in 1882, he built his residence, and
later his shop and postoffice. He is now en-
gaged in blacksmithing and wagon-making.
He received the appointment of Postmaster,
under Garfield's administration, and has it now
under the Harrison administration. He has
been the fortunate discoverer of some valuable
mines, and has now a fortune in them. He
located the Silver Creek Mine in 18G2, and was
unfortunate in not having good reduction works.
He has developed the mine some, and is work-
ing other ledges in that vicinity. He also owns
the Chick Mine and the Gray Eagle, and ex-
iiibits some line specimens of ore with gold in
them, and the company are now to put in a new
process which will, no doubt, prove a grand
success.



HISTORY OF NORTH 1<:BN CALIFORNIA.



In 1866 Mr. Albertson was married to Miss
Elizabeth Chisholra, a uative of Texas, and they
had seven children, five of whom are living, —
all born in Shasta County. Amanda died when
a year old, and Mary died when nine years old.
The others are Martha, Jane, Catherine, Henry
K., "William B. and Edgar W. After twenty-
four years of married life Mrs. Albertson sick-
ened and died in 1890, and was lamented by all
who knew her as a faithful, loving wife, kind
and affectionate mother and an excellent neigh-
bor and friend. Mr. Albertson l»elongs to the
I. 0. O. F., and is a stanch Republican. He
has been thirty-one years an industrious and
worthy citizen of Shasta County., and it now
seems that the rich treasures hidden in the
mountains of California are about to reward
him for his patient waiting.



►4«H



fOUTHY W. LONG, who has resided in
Vaca Valley since 1850, is a California
pioneer of 1849. He was born in Ver-
sailles, Woodford County, Kentucky, March 17,
1822, his parents being John and Mary (Steven-
son) Long, natives of Kentucky, whose parents
had come from Virginia among the first settlers,
one grandfather coming with Daniel Boone.
While Mr. Long was yet a child the family re-
moved to the vicinity of Liberty, Clay County,
Missouri, in 1826; and this was young Southy's
home until 1846. He then joined Company C
of Colonel Doniphan's regiment for th eMexi-
can war. This command, raised in Northwestern
Missouri, marched from Fort Leavenworth
through Kansas, the Indian Territory, and into
Chihuahua, forming a junction with General
Taylor at Walnut Springs, near the Rio Grande.
Before this the regiment had been engaged in
the battles Brazito and Chihuahua, as well as in
some minor engagements with Indians. They
were about fifteen months making the march,
going as far as Durango, and losing only a few
men in those engagements. After the close of
the war they marched to Brazos at the mouth of



the Rio Grande and took ship to New Orleans,
where they were paid off — the money thus re-
ceived being the first that was paid to them
during their whole term of service.

Returning to Missouri, Mr. Long remained
there until the spring of 1849. He had already
three brothers — John Pope, Henry Clay and
Willis — who had settled in California in 1846.
In the spring of 1849 our subject, in company
with his brothers James and William Buck,
left St. Joseph in April, and traveled with ox
teams across the plains and mountains, reach-
ing California in August on horseback, while
the wagon teams did not arrive until the next
month. Mr. Bong went at once to the mines
and operated on Feather River, near Oroville,
until March, 1850, mining and merchandising,
with fair results. He and his brothers then
came to Vaca Valley and purchased a half
league of land (2.219 acres) and engaged In
stock-raising; later Mr. Southy W. Long added
fruit raising to his industries. In 1862 he be-
came interested in tuining in Idaho and Mon-
tana. His farm now comprises eighty acres,
fifty acres of which is stocked with bearing
fruit trees and vines, consisting of Zinfandel
grapes, peaches and apricots. About the 10th
of August, 1887, he was striken with paralysis,
and since then has been an invalid.

He was married in 1874 to Miss Sallie Clark,
a native of Missouri, and a daughter of Robert
and Sarah (Long) Clark; her father a native of
Virginia and her mother of Kentucky.

^-^ - ^



fHARLES R. HOPPIN, a farmer of Yolo,
is the son of Thaddeus Curtis and Tamar
Iloppin. His mother descended from
the Daniels family, of the State of Massa-
chusetts. His parents, in 1844, moved to Niles,
Michigan, where the father died in 1856, the
mother in 1881.

Charles R. Hoppin was born in Madison
County New York, March 29, 1829. When
eight years of age he went to Onondaga County,



HISTORT OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.




New York, where lie remained six years, and
then went to Michigan and lived there until
184:9. Then with ox teams, he came to Cali-
fornia, reaching Lassen ranch October 20.

After mining nntil some time in the year
1850, he went into Yolo County, where he with
one of his brothers bought 8,000 acres of land
on Cache Creek. Mr. Hoppin has lived ever
since on his ranch near Cache Creek, where he
farms 500 acres. In the year 1875 he returned
to Niles, Michigan, where he married Miss
Emily Bacon, and they have four children:
Harriet, Edward, Edith, Charles R., Jr.



^EREDITR RAINES MILLER, one of
the oldest pioneers of the coast, came
to Oregon in 1847, to California in
1849 and to the immediate vicinity of Vaca-
ville in 1851, since which time he has been a
resident here. He was born in Newbern, the
county-seat of Montgomery County, West Vir-
ginia, in 1818. His father, Abraham Miller,
was a native of Pennsylvania and of German
descent, and his mother, nee Mary Raines, was
a native of Virginia and of Scotch descent. In
1826 the family removed from Virginia to
Illinois, locating forty-five miles east of Spring-
field, on the north fork of the Sangamon River.
Meredith's uncle, Daniel Miller, had moved
with his family to that vicinity, locating the
quarter section on which the city of Decatur is
now situated, and was the first man to stretch a
surveyor's chain in Illinois, under a contract
with the United States Land Department, and
surveyed from what is now East St. Louis to
Chicago. In 1828 Abraham Miller moved
with his family to the lead-mine region in
southern Wisconsin, where he remained until
1848, engaged in farming and mining. In
1847 the subject of this sketch, as before inti-
mated, joined a wagon train for Oregon, and
drove an ox-team in consideration for the trans-
portation of his trunk and clothes and subsist-



ence and mutual protection. Leaving Inde-
pendence, Missouri, May 10, he arrived at Fort
Vancouver on the Columbia River in October
following. His first work there was the erec-
tion of a house for the man for whom he drove
the ox team across the continent.

He and a friend who had come West with
him and helped in the building of the house,
started up the Willamette Valley to look up a
claim, which they located about 100 miles from
Portland on the Willamette River. On return-
ing, and while preparing to purchase supplied
and implements to improve their claims, they
heard news of the Whitman massacre, in which
the Indians had killed Dr. Whitman and his
wife and all the men but one, who escaped, and
took the women and children prisoners, at the
Methodist Mission on the Walla Walla River.
The local authorities raised a command of about
500 men to fight the Indians and at the same time
selected nine men to accompany a man named
Meek on a trip to Washington, District of Co-
lumbia, to enlist the service of troops and ob-
tain other recognition of the Territory of Ore-
gon. Mr. Miller was telected as one of those
men. They accompanied the troops as far as
the scene of the massacre, having two days' fight
with about 1,000 Indians near the Umatilla
River. After going beyond the Blue mountains
they returned and began to recross the continent,
after encountering many great difficulties and
hardships, they completed their journey, stop-
ping at Fort Boyce and Fort Hall on the way,
finally meeting the westbound emigrants. Meek
went on to Washington while the other men re-
mained in Missouri. The result of Meek's mis-
sion was the appointment by the Government
of Territorial ofhcers for Oregon and a detach-
ment of troops for protection against Indians.

In the fall of 1847 Abraham Miller sold out
in Wisconsin and moved into Missouri, where
Meredith met him on his return to Oregon in
the spring of 1848. Remaining in Missouri
until -the summer of 1849, he joined a party
coming to California by way of Santa Fe. In
this party there were eighty persons, well



HISTORY OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.



equipped with teams and supplies. Near Santa
Fe they sold their outfit and came with pack
animals the remainder of the trip, reaching Cali-
fornia by way of Colonel Cook's road to Los
Angeles, and thence they came to San Francisco
on the schooner J. E.. Whiting, arriving about
the middle of February, 1850. Mr. Miller im-
mediately went to tlie mines on Feather River,
reaching Long's Bar early in March, 1850. He
remained in the mines until August, 1851,
meeting with good success. He then came to
Fleasatit Valley and located on a Government
claim of 160 acres, on which he livedfor thirty-
three years. Later he purchased an adjoining
quarter section. This ranch he entered with a
land warrant which he had received from the
Government for military service in the Black
Hawk war in 1832, when he was a member of
Captain Moore's company, which was recruited
at Mineral Point, Wisconsin. At bis new home
here in California he first engaged in the rais-
ing of fruit and live-stock, and later he substi-
tuted general farming for the specialty of live-
stock. He sold his place in 1883 and i-emoved
to Vacaville, where all his interests are now
centered. He is a member of Vacaville Lodge,
No. 131, F. & A. M., of the Royal Arch Chap-
ter, No. 43, SuisuD, and also of the Solano
County Association of California Pioneers. In
1852 he made a trip to the East by way of Pan-
ama, New Orleans and Mississippi River to Mis-



Online LibraryLewis Publishing Company. cnA memorial and biographical history of northern California, illustrated. Containing a history of this important section of the Pacific coast from the earliest period of its occupancy...and biographical mention of many of its most eminent pioneers and also of prominent citizens of today → online text (page 88 of 138)