Maine Historical Society.

Collections of the Maine Historical Society (Volume 1, ser.1) online

. (page 28 of 52)
Online LibraryMaine Historical SocietyCollections of the Maine Historical Society (Volume 1, ser.1) → online text (page 28 of 52)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which he built a house. On the resettlement of the town
his son Benjamin returned from Gloucester, wliere his father
then resided, took possession of his father's grants, and becanio
an active and useful inhabitant. In 1738, Benjamin sold four
acres lying west of Exchange street, including his homestead
to Phineas Jones, and moved to North Yarmouth. [Joseph died
in Gloucester, March 12, 1718, aged seventy-two.

Samuel Ingersoll was a soldier in Philip's war. He was a
shipwright and established himself in his trade in Gloucester.
He had two sons by his wife Judith, in Gloucester, Xehemiali,
1705, Joel, 1709 ; his son Samuel married in Gloucester in
1708.]

Dominions Jordan, third son of Robert Jordan, married Han-
nah, a daughter of Ralph Tristram of Saco, as early as 1683,
and lived at Spurwhik. By her he had Dominicus, born in
1683, Mary Ann, Samuel, Nathaniel, Hannali, married to
Joseph Calef of Boston, and Elizabeth married to Humphrey
Scammon of Saco. Capt. Jordan was killed in the war of
1703 by the Indians, and his wife and family were carried to
Canada. They were all restored but Mary Ann, to wbom the
name of Arabella was given by her French masters. She mar-
ried in Canada, where she was living in 1760, and never re-
turned. The eldest son, Dominicus, escaped after a residence
of several years at Trois Rivieres, and was an active ajid useful
man in the subsequent affairs of our town, as will be hereafter
more particularly mentioned ; he was the progenitor of a num-
erous race, part of Avhom now occupy the paternal estate.
Nathaniel also establi'jhed himself on his hereditary estate.



N0TICK3 OF INKABITAXTS. 313

wliieh was finally divided niiiong the heirs in 1754. Sannicl
and Elizabeth lived in Saco, where tlieir posterity still maintain
a respectable rank.

Robert Lawrence, who was killed in the attack upon the fort
in 1690, sustained the rank of captain. [He built a stone
hou€e on Munjoy's hill, near the cemetery, in which he lived,
and which was used as a garrison in times of peril.] His
wife was the widow of George Munjoy, by whom he entered
into the possession of a large property here. It does not ap-
pear that he left any offspring, and we have not been able to
ascertain his origin. A long quarrel growing out of a disputed
title, subsisted for many years between him and Silvanus Davis,
which was terminated only by his death. His widow married
Stephen Cross of Boston, for her third husband, and died in
Boston in 1705.

Peter Morrell lived in India street ; the date of the first
deed to him of land here was in 1681 ; it was of a house lot
from Thomas Mason ; he probably came here about tliat time.
After his capture in 1090, his wife and children moved to Bev-
erly, where they subsequently lived. His wife's name was
Mary. Their daughter Mary, who married George Tuck, and
was residing in Falmouth in 173'4, in a deed of that year stylea
herself the only surviving child and heir of said Peter.

James Mariner probably came here from Dover : or James
Marinell, whom I have supposed to be the same, as that name
does not afterward occur in our records, came from that place
and purchased lajid on the Xeck, of Joseph Hodgsdon, in 1686.
He was born in 1G51, and was living in Boston in 1731. Some
of the same name, and probably his children, were inhabitants
of the last settlement.

Dennis Morough lived at Purpooduck, where he married
Jane, the eldest daughter of Sampson Penley, an ancient set-
tler. We find trace of but one son, who bore the iiame of his
father and was living with him in Norwich, Connecticut, after
20



314 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

the war. In 1734, the sou was an inhauitant of Coventry.
Nouo of the family returned here.

Jonathan Orris was a bhacksmith, and lived cast of India
street. He does not appear to have left any children. His
three brothers, Nathaniel of Barnstable, Experience of Braiji-
tree, and John of Boston, inherited his property. [He was
living in Gloucester in 1691 and 1693.]

John Parrott, a fisherman, was a settler under Danforth.
No male issue survived. His eldest daughter, Mary, married
Philip Gammon ; another daughter, Sarah, married John
Green, who lived in Newport, R. I., in 1738. There was a
John Parrott in Rowley, 1643.

Sampson Penley was a settler before the first war, as early
as 1658, and returned on the restoration of peace. We have
been unable to ascertain when and where he died. He left
a widow, Rachel, and three daughters: Jane, married to Den-
nis Morough, Dorcas, to Hugh Willcott, and Mary, to Edward
Bailey ; the latter was living m Stoughton, Massachusetts, in
1734, a widow. [Dorcas TTillcott had a daughter Elizabeth,
who married a Pringle, and who inherited her estate.]

James Ross was born in Falmoutli, 1662, son of James ; he
was taken prisoner with his father's family in 1676, and again
in 1690. He was a shoemaker by trade and occupied his
father's farm or part of it at Back Cove ; his mother was Ann,
the- eldest daughter of George Lewis. On his return from his
second captivity he resided in Salem. His father was here
about 1657. He was living in Salem, 1724.
- John Shillings was the son of Thomas Skillings of Back
Cove, the ancestor of all of the name in this neighborhood,
who came here as early as 1651, and died 1667, leaving two
sons, Thomas, born 1643, and John. During the first war he
continued in Salem ; at its close he returned and entered with
zeal and activity upon the improvement of his former as well
as later possessions. He was a carpenter. His ]jrincipal farm
was at Stroudwater where he lived, about a mile noriii-west of



NOTICES OF INHABITANTS. 315

r>^ng Creek. He also Imd seven acres on the Xeck, Trhcrc
CVntcr street now is, which he obtained, by exchange with Rev.
Ceorge Burroughs in 1GS3, on which he had a house. [The
lot which lie conveyed to Burroughs in exchange, was the ninth
west of Chiy Cove, adjoining Samuel IngersoH's lot.] His son
Samuel, born in 1677, conveyed the Center street tract, about
17o2, in parcels, to William Cotton and others, under whom it
is now held. We have it from tradition that John Skillings
died before he was forty years old, and that his widow and four
children removed to Piscataqua. This would be about thetimo
of the second Indian war, of which he may have been a victim ;
he was living in 1GS8. Samuel returned and established him-
self at Long Creek.

Lewis ajid John Tucker were brothers, and dived on adjoin-
ing farms east of Presumpscot river. The children of Lewis
were Hugh of Kittery, fisherman, Lewis of Xewcastlc, X. H.,
Elizabeth, married to Bragdon of Kittery, and Grace, mar-
ried to Isaac Pierce of Boston, tailor. The first Lewis was
Avas born lG4o,

Ralph Turner was an ancient settler in Purpooduck ; he
was here in 1059, and witnessed by his mark, a deed from
Cleeves to Phillips In that year ; he lived on a farm of two hun-
dred acres between Long and Barberry Creeks, on which in
1687, he had "a faire dwelling house and other improvements."
His daughter Hannah, who married Thomas Holman, a slioe-
maker, was living witli her liusband at Rehoboth in 1729, and
styled herself ''daughter and heir of Ralph Turner." He
was chosen constable in 1G70.
y^ Edward Tyng came here 'as early as 1G80, and soon after
married Elizabeth a daughter of Thaddeus Clarke, and great-
granddaughter George Cleeves. He was the second son of Ed-
ward Tyng, who came to this country with his brother William,
about IGoG. The time of his birth is not known, probably
1G49 ; his elder In-other Jonathan was born in IG 12. Ho
owned a number of pieces of valuable land on the Xeck, and



316 MAINE HISTOEICAL SOCIETY.

several houses ; on a tract of forty-four acres, extending from
Eohison's Point to north of Main, now Congress street, and
about seventy rods fronting the harbor, he had three dwelhng
houses in 1687, vrhen it was surveyed under a patent from A))-
dross, in one of which he Hved. The cellar of this liousc could
be seen on York street, a little west of State street, 1840, but
now, 1864, is obliterated. In 16S0 and 1681, he commanded
Fort Loyal, was one of the counselors or magistrates of .Maine
during the presidency of Mr. Danforth, and in 1686 was appoint-
ed by the king one of the counselors of President Joseph Dud-
ley, who married his sister, and of Gov. Andross. He was
appointed Lt. Colonel by Andross, and had a command in the
province of Sagadahoc, in 1688 or 1639. He was afterward com-
missioned as Governor of Annapolis in N. S,, and on his passage
there, was captured by the French and carried to France, where
he died. He had four children, Edward, born 1683, Jonathan,
who died young, Mary, married to the Rev. John Fox of Wo-
burn,^ and Elizabeth, married to a brother of Dr. Franklin.
Wm. Tyng, late of Gorham, who was grandson of Edward, by
his eldest son Edward, was the last survivor of the male poster-
ity of the Tyng family in this country. William's father died
in Boston, Sept 8, 1755, and his brother Edward died a bach-
elor in England.

Wallis. Persons bearing this name in Falmouth were num-
erous during the second settlement. The first of the name
were Nathaniel and John, who were probably the ancestors of
all the rest ; they were both here before the first war. Nathan-
iel lived at Back Cove, and John on Purpooduck Point ; John
was one of the selectmen in 1681. In addition to these in the
subsequent settiement, were Josiah, who was born in 1662, and
was living in Gloucester, 1734, Benjamin, Joseph, and James,
who was born 1670, were brothers, and lived at Purpooduck ;

• Lineal desceridants of this connection are now among our enterprising citi-
zens, who may trace their origin in the male lirie to John Fox tlie martyr, and in
the female to Cleeves, the Grst settler of Falmouth.



NOTICES OF rS-HABITANTS. 317

these were all sons of John ; they went to Gloucester after the
destruction of the town, but returned again. Josiah's son John
was an inhabitant of Cape Elizabeth in 1768, aged about sev-
enty years ; a few of his descendants remain. Matthew Paul-
ling and John Lane married daughters of John Wallis, and
lived near him at Purpooduck Point in 1687. The first
Nathaniel was born in 1632, and was living in Beverly, 1701 ;
he had a son John, whose son John was a resident in Shor-
hurn, Massachusetts, in 1720.*

Thomas Walter, with his wife Ilannah, moved here from
Salem, about 1682, and settled at Purpooduck. His wife was
then twenty-five years old, having been born in 1657. In
1732, his son TVilham, then living in Boston, in a deed of his
father's property in Falmouth, styled himself "his son and only
heir."

Samuel "VTebber. There were several of the name of "Web-
ber inhabiting here during the second period of our history,
among whom were Samuel, Thomas, and Joseph. Of the
latter, we only know that he had grants of land from the town
as a settler. Thomas married Mary, a sister of John Parker,
a large landed proprietor on the Kennebec, where Thomas had
lived before the first war. His family moved to Charlestown
during the second war ; he left a widow and several children,
one of whom was named Joseph. Mary Webber was a peti-
tioner to Andross for a patent in 1687, of land granted her by
the town six years before. Samuel was here as early as August,
1681, when he received a grant of the mill privilege on Long
Creek, on wliich he erected the first mill which was built on
that stream, and which he sold in 1685 to Silvanus Davis and
John Skillings. He was a witness on the trial of George Bur-
roughs in 1692 at Salem, and testified to his great strength.

*[John and Nathaniel Wallis were born in Cornwall, England. Nathanitl, 1C32;
he died in Beverly, Masisachusetts, October 18, 1709, Margaet, bis widow, died
May 14, 1711, aged about eighty-oae. Their cliildroa were Caleb, Joishua, Joliu,
and Mary. Mary raarrled Pike.]



818 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

He died in York, ITIG, leaving a widow, Deborah, and niiic
children, viz: Samuel, John, Thomas, Benjamin, Wait^tih
Joseph, MaiT, wife of Joseph Sayward, Deborah, and Dorcas.
' [Deborah was born in Gloucester, 1G95. Two others, twins,
Waitstil and Patience, were born in Gloucester in 169S. After
this he moved to York.]

There was also a family of Yorks here ; Samuel, born 16TS,
and Benjamin, born 1680, were children and living here on
the destruction of the town, as ajipears by depositions given by
them in 1759 ; but we do not know who their father was.
John York was one of the trustees of North Yarmouth in 15S4,
and it is not improbable that ho was their ancestor. He was
living in 1GS5, "on land which lieth in Casco bay in Xorth
Yarmouth, which was once possesesed by John Atwell, who
bought the same of Richard Bray, Sen., and there he inhabited
till drove off by the Heathen." On the breaking up of North
Yarmouth, in 1688, he probably took refuge in Falmoutli.

[The Yorks who came to Portland were probably descended
from Richard York who lived in Dover in 1648. He died in
1674, leaving a widow, Elizabeth : and Savage thinks was tlie
the father of Benjamin, Edward, and John. Benjamin was
first taxed in Dover in 1677. July 22, 1670, James. Tliomas,
and Samuel York purchased of the Indians a large tract of
land on the east side of the Androscoggin river, and styled
themselves planters. A James York lived in Braintree, Mas-
sachusetts, where his son James was born, June 14, 1648, but
moved to Connecticut, where he was made freeman, 1666.
The son James living: in Stonington, 1670, sold his estate in
Boston, 1672, and died, 1678. Samuel who lived in Falmouth,
in bis deposition given in 1759, when he was eighty-one years
old, says he lived in Falmouth seventy years ago. There v.'us
another Samuel in Gloucester, v.dio died March 18,1718. agod
seventy-three, giving for his birth, 1645. He liad by hh \\ife
Hannah, Jolin, ]»orn 1695, and Thomas ; in liis will, other



EARLY SETTLERS AND RESIDENCE. 319

xi'^l was probably the settler in. Falmouth, who vras borii in
1»)T8, as was the Benjamin, born 1680. Samuel is supposed
lo have moved to Ipswich in 1680 or 1690, and "being arrived
at old age," in ITOT, made his will. Benjamin married Mary
Giddings, 170 1, and had six children born in Gloucester before
1728, in which year he was admitted an inhabitant of Falmouth.
He had pre\iously lived in Falmouth, before the Lidian war of
1690, and was living there in 1759, when he was seventy-
nine years old. We find on the Falmouth records the birth of
Sarah, .daughter of Benjamin and Mary York, April 6, 1724,
and Joseph, son of same, August 6, 1728.]

We have not space to give a detailed account of all the set-
tlers in Falmouth between the first and second wars, but we
will now subjoin a catalogue of their names as far as we have
been able to collect them. In the second war some families
were probably entirely destroyed, others lost their male branch-
es : in this way we may account for the fact that so few of the
ancient names are found in oitr subsequent history.

KAMKS. KE5IDESCE.

James Andrews, New Casco, died in Boston, 1704.

*George Adams.

Eli.sha Andrews, New Casco, son of James.

Andrew Alger, son of Andrew of Scarborough.

Thomas Baker, Back Cove, was taken prisoner by Indians.

Henry Bailey, Purpooduck.

Philip Barger.

George Bartlett, Spurwink.

Peter Bowdoin, Neck.

Stephen Boutineau, Neck.

Anthony Brackett, Back Cove,

George Bramhall, Neck.

Philip Le Bretton, Purpooduck.

John Brown, Sen., Purpooduck.

♦John Branford.

Richard Broadridge, Neck.

• [Se-vral of thi a»jovf> names I hare met with for the flnt and only tim» in a petition to tbs
government in 15S0, wliich is copied entire in ch.ipter ix, p. 2>3. They arc styled ii. tho petition
"inhabiunt; of Falmouth," and although their named me not familiar, I am tound to bolieve that
thoy spoik truly; the naiiiee of euch are marked by an asterisk.]



S20



MAINE HISTORICAL SOCILTT.



John Browu, Sen.,
George Burroughs,
Joshua Brackett.


Purpooduck.
Neck.

*-


Thomas Brown.




Philip Carpenter,
Thaddeus Clarke,


Spurwink.
Neck,


Thomas Cloice,


Neck.


John Corney,

John CiilliTer. ^


Neck,


Abraham Collings,




♦Henry Crosby.
♦Andrew C ranch.
Ebenezer Davenport,
Isaac Davis,


New Casco.
Stroudwater.


Lawrence Davis,


Purpooduck.


Jacob Davis,
Silvanus Davis,


Purpooduck.
Neck.


John Davis,
Joseph Daniel,
Henry DonneU,


Purpooduck.
Jewell's Island


John Durham.




Moses Durant.




♦Philip Edes.
John Edwards,
♦Thomas Enow.


Purpooduck.


George Felt,
James Freeze,


New Casco.
Neck.


Jacob Freeze,
Nicholas Freeby.
Moses Felt.


Purpooduck.


♦John Frizell.




♦John Flea.

Elihu Gullison.




Edmund Gale,


Back Cove.


Robert Greason

Philip Gammon.

John Gustin or Augustine John,

John Graves.


Presurnpscot,
Purpooduck.
Presurnpscot.


Robert Haines,
Peter Housing,


Purpooduck.
Presurnpscot.


Henry Harwood,
Philip Hormau.


Neck.



EARLY SETTLERS AND RESIDENCE.



John Ilclman,


Purpooduck, lived in North Yaniouih be-




fore first war.


.ToscpTi Holmes, »


Xew Casco .


Joseph Ilodgedon,


Neck, moved to York about 1688.


Francis Haines.




John Harris,


Purpooduck.


George Ingersoll,


Capisic.


George Ingersoll, Jr.,


Capisic.


John Ingersoll,


Capisic


Joseph Ingersoll,


Capisic.


Samuel Ingersoll,


Capisic,


Dominicus Jordan,


Spurwink.


William James,


Purpooduck.


Francis Jefferies,


Neck.


John Jones.


Neck.


John Jordan,


son of Rev. Robert, of Spurwink.


Robert Jordan,


" .


Samuel Jordan,


"


Jedediah Jordan,


<l K II


Jeremiah Jordan,


It II 11


John Lane,


Purpooduck.


Isaac Larrabee.




Joshua Lane,


Back Cove.


Robert Lawrence,


Neck.


George Lewis,


Back Cove.


Philip Lewis,


Back Cove.


Anthony Libbee,


- Moved to Portsmouth about 168-5 ; he was




a carpenter and brother-in-law of A.




Brackett.


Thomas Loveitt,


Purpooduck.


*Henry Langmaid.




*John Marshall.




James Mariner,


Neck. f


Joel Madefor, Sen.,


Purpooduck.


Wm. MansSeld.




Dennis Morough,


Purpooduck.


Peter Morrell,


Neck.


Robert Morrell,


Neck.


Joel Madefor, Jr.




Joseph Morgan,


Purpooduck.


Ephraim Mariton.




Robert Nicholis or Xicholson,


Presumpscot.


Francis Nichols,


Neck.



322



MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.



John Nicholson,

Jonathan Orris,

♦Robert Oliver.

*Thomas I'aine. ,

John Palmer,

Thomas Page,

John Parrot t,

Matthew Palten or PauUin,

"\Vm. Pcarce.

John Peadrick.

Thomas Peck,

Sampson Penler,

Joseph Phippen,

David Phippen,

Richard Pope,

Richard Powsland or Powsley,

Samuel Pike,

*John Randall.

John Rider,

*James Randall.

AVm. Rogers,

James Ross,

*Thomas Roby.

*Job Runnells.

Richard Seacomb,

♦Andrew Shaw.

John Seacomb.

*Peter Shaw.

John Smith,

Leonard Slew,

John Skillings,

Thomas Sparke,

Robert Staniford,

Thomas Staniford,

John Staniford,

Clement Swett,

♦Robert Shares.

Samuel Skilling.s.

Lewis Tucker,

John Tucker,

Ralph Turner.

Edward Tyn;^

♦Richard ThoiiiliD.



Neck, brother-in-law of Geo. Ingersoll, .Jr.
Neck.



Neck.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.

Neck.



Back Cove.
Purpooduck.
Purpooduck.
Purpooduck.

Spurwink.
Capisic.
New Casco.

Back Cove.

New Casco.
Back Cove.



Neck and Back Cove.



Back Cove.

Purpooduck.

Stroudwater.

Spurwink.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.



New Casco.
New Casco.
Purpooduck.
Neck.



EARLY SETTLERS AND RESIDENCE,



323



Nathaniel "^Vallis,
John W.ilils,
Jo.^iah Wallis..
Jamos "Wallis,
Eenjaniin Wallis,
Joseph Walli<,
Thomas AVallis,
Samuel Webber,
Thomas AYebber.
Joseph Webber.
Michael AVebbcr,
Zachariah White,
Nathaniel White,



Josiah White.



Back Cove.

Purpoodiick.

rurpooduck.

Purpoodiick.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.

Stroudwaler.



Purpooduck.

Purpooduck.

Purpooduck. He left only two children,
Mary and Dorcas, wlio married
Nathaniel and John Dauford
of Newbury.

Purpooduck. Jo.siah had a daughter Meri-
am, married Richard Sunlay.

New Casco.

•Stroudwater,



Nathaniel WharfF,

John AVheelden,

Nathaniel Webber,

James Webber.

Samuel York. . " .

Benjamin York.
[The following tax list, discovered since the first edition of this work was pub-
lished, furnishes me with some additional names. The tax for town charges in
1683, was twelve pounds sixteen shillings four jience. The province charges were
seventeen pounds seventeen shillings ten pence. In the tax for 1CS3, were the
following items, viz:

"Puchard Pow.=land for money lent the town to go for Mr. Burrouglis > ,, ,„
twenty or thirty shillings in good pay. ° ] A.1.10.

Anthony Brackett to pay part of Mr. Burroughs' passage, 5.

Passage, and boards and nails for ye ministers house and workmen, 6.5.
To John Ingei.soll and (ieorge Ingersoll for one thousand boards to )

floor the raceting-house t ^•'■^•

"A rate made by the selectmen of the town of Falmouth, the 24th of Novem-
ber, 1684, on the real estate, and all vacant lands of the inhabitants of said town.
Mr. Nathaniel Frier, £0.10.5

Mrs. Jordan, Jeremiah's mother, 1.00.10

Robert Elliott, 9^

Wm. Lucas, 2.6

Samuel Sweat, 2.6

Mr. John Clark, 2.G



82-1 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

The •warrant is directed to the constable of Spurwink, Richmond's Iflanl,
and Cape Ehzabeth : and is signed,

AMHONY BRACKETT,-)
WALTER GEXDALL. i s,i„,.,„„, ,
GEORGE INGERSOLL, ==clectmen.]
THADDEUS CLARKE, J



II. AX ACCOUNT OF LIMERICK.

BY CHARLES FREEMAN.*



LiMEUtCK contains about fourteen thousand acres, or twenty-
three square miles; being small in territory. Its surface is hilly,
for the most part, and the hills are abrupt. Their summits are
ledgy, but are covered mostly with a thin layer of earth. The
ledges are composed of granite of a very coarse grain; too
coarse to allow the stone to bo used for buildings. The granite
employed for underpinning and door-steps, comes almost wholly
from Limington ; some has been brought from Newtield ; but
the grain is coarser than that which is found near Portland and
in Hallowell. In the ledges in Limerick, there are large irregu-
lar veins, where quartz and feld spar exist in small masses ; and
in these veins schorl is found in great plenty running in a vein of

[ * The following biographical sketch of Mr. Freeman, the writer of the
" Account of Limerick," is from an article in the Christian Mirror of May 12,
1857, prepared by his nephew, Mr. Charles Daren of Bangor:

FAJIILIAE KECOLLECXrOXS OF KEV. CHARLES FnEEMAX.

" The memory of the just is blessed." Tliough more than three years
have elapsed since the death of this excellent minister, yet his memory is
cherished by many, and his example is useful to all, A very appropriate
and truthful, but brief notice of him was given at the time ; but I know not
why some recollections of him, may not be as approjaiate now as then. At
the time of his death, he was one of the longest settled minister of the Si:ate.
ilay one who, though he did not reside in the immediate sphere of his influence,
yet wheu a youth had opportunity of familiar acquaintance with him, be
permitted to offer this tribute to his memory.

Rev. Charles Freeman, late of Limerick, Maine, was the son of Hon. Sam-
uel Freeman of Portland ; where he was bo.'-n June Z, 170-1. His useful
traits of cliaract<-r very luuch re-frnbled those of his e.-^timable father. Jle
graduated at Bowdoin College in 1812. That same fall he entere<l Uic luw



326 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

its own intermixed witli qn:irtx and feld spar. The quriitz and
feld spar are clear and white, except where long: exposed to wind
and rain. In thi^ ledges are tissures of various directions and of
small width, from one-fourtli of an inch to one and one half inches,
which are tilled with quartz of a reddish brown color ; and there aie
also a few fissures of a dull blue granite of fine grain ; these aro
between six inches and twelve feet in width, and are crossed by
no other veins. A substance, thought to be magnesia, has been
dug up in the meadow of Atr. Simeon Adams; but the account
of it which I have received, does not correspond with the de-
scription of native magnesia in Cleaveland's Mineralogy. It has,
however, been used medicinally with good eflect as an absorb-
ent, instead of mignesia.

Limerick has numerous mill-privileges considering its small
extent. Two streams run through the town, one on the east side,



Online LibraryMaine Historical SocietyCollections of the Maine Historical Society (Volume 1, ser.1) → online text (page 28 of 52)