Copyright
Malden Malden historical society.

The register of the Malden historical society, Malden, Massachusetts (Volume 4) online

. (page 1 of 20)
Online LibraryMalden Malden historical societyThe register of the Malden historical society, Malden, Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 1 of 20)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


diss



— " '






Book

ad



*



/



Jhe Register

of the

Maiden /historical Society

Maiden, Massachusetts

ffumber four



THE REGISTER



OF THE



Maiden Historical Society



MALDEN, MASSACHUSETTS



NUMBER 4



1915-1916



Edited by me Committee on Publication



LYNN, MASS.
Frank S. Whitten, Printer
1916



rr-f-



FORM OF BEQUEST



I bequeath the sum of dollars to

the Maiden Historical Society, incorporated under the laws
of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and direct that
the receipt of the Treasurer of the said Society shall be a
release to my estate and to its executors from further liability
under said bequest.



Copies of this Register will be sent postpaid on receipt of one dollar.



TABLE OF CONTENTS



Page
Joshua Wyman Wellman (portrait) Frontispiece

2

Form of Bequest ...••••••

Joshua Wyman Wellman

The Old Hill Tavern and its Occupants, George Walter

Chamberlain ..••••••• 4

Methodist Beginnings in Maiden 3°

Reminiscences of North Maiden (Melrose) and Vicinity,

Hon. Levi S. Gould 6 5

The Harrison Funeral Celebration 8 5

The Dearborn Willard Family of Maiden, Erskine F.
Bickford ...••••••

Inscriptions in the Bell Rock Cemetery (Continued) Tran-
scribed by the late Deloraine Pendre Corey . • 9 1

The Register

Officers IO °

Committees

By-Laws

Members, 1915-1916 io 5

Necrologies

Frederick N. Joslin

Joshua Howard Millett (portrait) .... 112

Wellington Phillips (portrait) Il6



JOSHUA WYMAN WELLMAN.

Vice President of this Society from its incorporation.



Joshua Wyman Wellman was born November 28,
1821, in Cornish, New Hampshire, and died in Maiden,
September 28, 1915. His father, Deacon James Ripley
Wellman, owned a farm on the hills some miles back from
the Connecticut river, and on this farm the son was born
and grew to manhood. By hard work on the farm he
gathered strength of body and mind. He never lost his
liking for farm life and all its beauties. He loved animals
and was indignant at cruelty to them. The memory of
brooks, fields, and hills was always a delight to him and
often in his last days at the mention of Ascutney or Croy-
den Mountain, his face would brighten.

The father, James Ripley Wellman, was the grandson
of Reverend James Wellman, the first minister in Cornish.
Reverend James Wellman, graduated at Harvard in 1744
and was the son of Abraham Wellman, who died at the
siege of Louisberg, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Abraham
Wellman, was the grandson of Thomas Wellman, who
settled in what is now Lynnfield, Massachusetts, about
1640.

Through his mother, Phebe Wyman Wellman, Joshua
Wyman Wellman, was descended from Francis Wyman,
Ezekiel Richardson and Samuel Richardson, all early
settlers of Woburn, Massachusetts.

Through his grandmother, Alethea (Ripley) Well-
man, he was descended from Governor Bradford and Elder
William Brewster of Plymouth. William Ripley, the



6 MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

father of his grandmother, Alethea Ripley, was a sergeant
in Stark's Brigade in the Revolutionary War.

As a boy, he attended the public schools in Cornish
until he was fifteen years of age, fitted for college at Kim-
ball Union Academy, and graduated from Dartmouth Col-
lege in 1846, giving the Latin Oration at his commencement.

He was a member of Kappa, Kappa, Kappa, and
Phi Beta Kappa.

Among his classmates were George T. Angell of
Boston, Hon. Benjamin F. Ayer of Chicago, Dr. J. Whitney
Barstow of New York, Judge Isaac W. Smith of Man-
chester, New Hampshire, Hon. Moses T. Stevens of
Andover, Massachusetts, and Rev. Alonzo H. Quint, D. D.
of Boston. His college ties were strong and he was always
a loyal son of Dartmouth. At the time of his death he
was one of the oldest living graduates. In the winter of
1838, at the age of seventeen, Mr. Wellman taught school
in Hartford, Vermont, and later during his college course,
in Upton and East Randolph, Massachusetts. From 1846-
1849 he taught a part of each year in Kimball Union
Academy and in 1847 was principal of the Academy in
Rochester, Massachusetts.

Entering Andover Theological Seminary in 1847, he
graduated in 1850, and during the year following was a
resident licentiate. He was licensed to preach by the
Suffolk North Association in Boston, April 9, 1850.

He was ordained to the ministry and installed pastor
of the First Church in Derry, New Hampshire, June 18,
185 1, where he remained five years. He was installed
pastor of the Eliot church, Newton, Massachusetts, June
11, 1856, and was dismissed October 23, 1873. March 25,
1874, he became pastor of the First Church of Christ, in
Maiden, from which position he retired May 6, 1883. He



MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY. 7

never again was settled, but continued to preach in various
parts of New England for many years. He resided in
Maiden until the time of his death.

In the spring of 1862 he went with his brother-in-law,
Dr. Alfred Hitchcock of Fitchburg, a member of Governor
Andrew's Council, to the scene of conflict in the South.
They visited Fortress Monroe, Yorktown, were at the
headquarters of General McClellan, and saw much of the
horrors of war. Dr. Hitchcock, being a noted surgeon,
worked in the hospitals, where there was at the time great
need of skillful surgeons, and Mr. Wellman assisted him.
While with the army, Mr. Wellman was shocked to learn
that the son of an intimate friend and member of his church
in Newton, for whom he was inquiring, had just been
killed in battle. Mr. Wellman returned to Newton and
conducted the funeral services of the young soldier in
Eliot church.

All these experiences made a deep impression on Mr.
Wellman, and not long after his return he preached a war
sermon on the subject " Our Nation Under the Government
of God." This sermon excited much criticism, the
preacher was bitterly attacked and threats were made that
he must leave his pulpit. In the sermon slavery was
opposed, but the position was taken that whatever one's
views as to slavery might be, it was the duty of every loyal
citizen to rally to save the country and to this end arming
the slaves was urged. The larger part of the congrega-
tion soon came to the support of their pastor in his patriotic
work, and twenty-seven young men from the parish
enlisted in the army.

During Mr. Wellman's Newton pastorate, Eliot church
grew to be large and prominent and a new meetinghouse
was erected.



8 MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Mr. Wellman was a lover of books. He took a deep
interest in establishing the Newton Public Library and
made an address when the library building was opened.
After coming to reside in Maiden he became interested in
the Maiden Public Library and took part in the exercises
at the dedication of the Converse Memorial Building.

At Maiden Dr. Wellman became pastor of an old his-
toric church which had numbered among its preachers
many noted men, including Marmaduke Matthews, Michael
Wigglesworth, author of "The Day of Doom," Adoniram
Judson, Sr., Alexander W. McClure and others. During
his ministry in Maiden the church was built up in every
way and he left it a strong and working organization.

Dr. Wellman was a delegate to the famous Council
called by Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, N. Y. in February,
1876. This Council took up the charges which had been
made against Henry Ward Beecher, found that they had
not been sustained by proof and that therefore Beecher
must be held innocent. Dr. Wellman took a prominent part
in this Council. While he did not agree in all respects
with Beecher's views as to theology and many other matters,
it seemed to him that these questions were not in issue, and
that Beecher was entitled to be judged on the evidence as
to his guilt or innocence. Dr. Wellman considered care-
fully all the evidence presented, and even sought informa-
tion wherever he could get it, with the result that the find-
ing of the Council met his hearty approval. In a speech
at the close of the Council Dr. Wellman said " I believe
the time is coming and coming soon when this scandal and
all these misrepresentations and suspicions will be swept
away and this pastor will be left free to work and toil here
in joy and hope." For the stand he took in this matter
Dr. Wellman was severely criticised both in the public



MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY. O.

press and in private conversation. Some of his best friends
felt that he had made a serious mistake, but time has fully
justified his views. He lived to see Beecher greatly hon-
ored and those who attacked him well nigh forgotten.

Dr. Wellman was for many years a trustee of Phillips
Academy, Andover, and was deeply interested in the
Andover Theological Seminary. There came to be a
feeling that the teaching in the Seminary was not in accord
with the provisions of some of the deeds of gift. In this
feeling Dr. Wellman shared. Complaint was made to the
Board of Visitors, who after lengthy hearings removed
one of the professors from his office. On appeal to the
Supreme Court however, the removal was held to be void
(Chief Justice Field dissenting) because the visitors had
not complied with all the provisions of law in conducting
their hearings. The fundamental proposition for which
Dr. Wellman contended in the Andover case was that
where funds are left in trust for specified charitable pur-
poses those purposes should be strictly carried out, and it is
not for trustees to use funds committed to their care con-
trary to the express directions of the donor, even though
they feel that they can improve on the plan set forth in the
deed of trust.

During the Civil War the sharp dissension over the
questions involved, much disturbed the friendly relations
which had previously existed between the Congregational
clergymen in Boston and vicinity. After the close of the
war, Dr. Wellman believed something should be done to
bring the ministers into more friendly relations and to this
end he proposed a weekly ministers' meeting. The first
meeting was held April 6, 1868, and Dr. Wellman pre-
sided. This was the beginning of the ministers' meetings
which have continued to be held to the present time.



IO MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

In 1869 Dr. Wellman brought before the ministers'
meeting the plan of forming a Congregational Club. The
meeting acted favorably upon the project and Dr. Well-
man, with others, was appointed on a committee which
later made a report recommending the formation of the
club and a form of organization. Dr. Wellman became
one of the original members and remained a member until
the time of his death, being the last survivor of the original
members of the club.

From his early years Dr. Wellman was much inter-
ested in missions. This may have partly come about
because his great-uncle, Colonel James Ripley, married a
sister of Samuel J. Mills (known as the father of foreign
missions in America), and Mr. Wellman saw much of his
aunt during his early life. He was elected a corporate
member of the American Board in 1867 and at the time of
his death had been longer a corporate member than any
other person living.

Dr. Wellman was deeply impressed with the inade-
quacy of compensation given to many clergymen and the
need of reform in this matter. He was for a long time a
member of the Board of Ministerial Aid in Massachusetts,
serving on its executive committee. He gave much time
and thought to the matter and made numerous addresses
on the subject of aid to clergymen and kindred topics.

Dr. Wellman believed one should always be search-
ing for the truth with an open mind and should follow
the light wherever it led. He was slow in forming an
opinion, earnest and painstaking in seeking to get all the
facts ; but when he had reached a conclusion did not readily
change it. If the matter seemed to be of importance he
would make great sacrifices to uphold what he felt to be
the right. Had he lived in the days of persecution he



MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY. II

would have died a martyr rather than yield his convictions.
He felt that a strong character was not created in a brief
period of excitement, but was the slow growth of years.
He was convinced that the gospel of Jesus Christ was
needful for the salvation of sinful men, that the lasting
uplift of the world could only come through an increase in
the number of men filled with a passion for righteousness
and justice, and that such men could only be produced
under the influence of the Christian religion.

He received the degree of D. D. from Olivet College
in 1868 and from Dartmouth College in 1870.

He was for many years one of the managers of the
Congregational Sunday School and Publishing Society,
and later a Trustee. He was a director of the Congrega-
tional Education Society and on his retirement from active
work was made an honorary director for life.

He was a member of the New England Historic
Genealogical Society, of the Royal Historical Society of
London, of the General Theological Library in Boston, of
the Bunker Hill Monument Association and of the Winthrop
Club. He was for a time a trustee of the Pinkerton
Academy in Derry, New Hampshire. He was one of the
founders of the Maiden Historical Society, having been
vice president from the beginning until the time of his
death. Among his published works are the following:

1. Church Polity of the Pilgrims. 1857.

2. Review of the Sabbath Hymn Book. 1859.

3. The Organic Development of Christianity in the

Direction of Education and Learning. (An
address delivered before the Society for Pro-
motion of Collegiate and Theological Educa-
tion in the West.) i860.



12 MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY

4. Our Nation Under the Government of God. (A

war sermon preached in Eliot Church, New-
ton.) 1854.

5. Christianity and Our Civil Institutions. 1870.

6. Sermon in Memory of John C. Potter. 1870.

7. Address at the Opening of the Newton Free

Public Library. 1871.

8. Sketch of Life of Reverend James Monroe

Bacon. 1875.

9. A Sermon in Memory of Mrs. Maria Brigham

Furber. 1883.

10. The Transcendent Value of the Christan Sanc-

tury. (A sermon preached at the rededication
of the meetinghouse, First Church of Deny,
N. H.) 1885.

11. Review of Dr. A. V.G.Allen's Biography of

Jonathan Edwards. 1890.

12. Argument in the Andover Case, published in

"The Andover Case," 1887.

13. "The Question at Issue in the Andover Case."

Arguments by Rev. O. T. Lamphear and
Rev. Joshua W. Wellman, 1893.

14. The Ecclesiastical History of Maiden. Published

in the History of Middlesex County. 1890.

15. Historical Discourse delivered on the Two Hun-

dred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the First
Church in Maiden. 1899.

16. Origin and Early History of Eliot Church,

Newton. A sermon preached in 1870, pub-
lished in 1904.
Dr. Wellman was much interested in the history of
the Wellman Family and did much work with a view toward
publishing such a history, but was not able to do so before
his death.



MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY 13

Dr. Wellman was married October 24, 1854 t0 Ellen
Maria Holbrook, daughter of Caleb Strong Holbrook and
Prudence (Durfee) Holbrook of East Randolph, now
Holbrook, Massachusetts. There were four children ;
Arthur H. Wellman, Ellen H. Wellman (Mrs. Robert C.
King), now living, and Edward W. Wellman and Annie
Durfee Wellman, deceased.



14 MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY



THE OLD HILL TAVERN AND ITS OCCUPANTS

By George Walter Chamberlain, M. S.



Through the courtesy of Mrs. Emeline M. Sprague I
am permitted to use the following materials which were
originally prepared for her.

On Friday 27, November, 1914, there was demolished
the oldest house which has recently stood within the
present limits of the City of Maiden. From 1857 to 1914
it stood just south of the City Hall on Irving street and was
known to a former generation as the Hill Tavern. It was
originally located on the site of the City Hall where it stood
from about 1725 to 1857. In the latter year it was removed
from its original site to Irving street to make room for the
new Town Hall then about to be erected in Maiden Square.
Through almost two centuries it stood and during the first
century of its existence it was the best known landmark in
town, except the Bell Rock Meeting House, standing near
the center of the ancient township. Its history is asso-
ciated with the very beginning of the settlement of Maiden.

Abraham Hill, a carpenter by trade, appeared among
the early settlers of Charlestown as early as 1636. He
united with the First Church of Charlestown, 3 June, 1639.
In 1638 the Charlestown proprietors granted him five lots
of land, one of which was situated " in mistick feilde,"
which later formed a part of the town of Maiden. About
1646 he removed from his first home which was on the
" south side of mill hill " between " crookede lane " and
" midle streete" in Charlestown to Maiden. His Maiden




TTT,-Yfi-|



THE J [ILL TA VERN



MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY 15

house he erected on or near where the City Hall now stands,
on the easterly side of the Great road (Main street) near
its junction with the Medford road (Pleasant street), then
called "the way to Coytmore's mill." (Corey's History of
Maiden, 117.)

His farm extended from Pemberton's brook along the
southerly side of the Great road to the Salem road — from
Main street to Salem street. Pemberton's brook still runs
along the Saugus Branch of the Boston and Maine Rail-
road. On the northwest side from his house Three Mile
brook crossed the way to the mill and at this point in
Pleasant street there was early erected a rude bridge called
Hill's bridge. On the bank of Three Mile brook near
where the present Police Station stands, Thomas Coyt-
more erected a corn-mill prior to 27 August, 1641.

Abraham Hill rented and was the keeper of this mill
from 1646 to 1656 or longer. Down from the mill-pond
(now Coytmore Lea) through a wooden sluce-way the
waters were taken to grind the wheat and corn of all of the
inhabitants who dwelt on the north side of the Mystic
between Pullen Point and the northern bounds of Reading.
Out of each bushel of grain he took his toll for grinding.

At length the town "being destitute of an Ordinarie
Keeper" the Court "licensed him to keep an Ordinarie in
Maiden," 23 June, 1657, and he and his widow Sarah
appear to have continued to keep Hill's Ordinary from 1657
to 1679 — a P er i°d of about twenty-two years.

According to his deposition he was born about 1605,
undoubtedly in England and he appears to have been very
closely associated both in Charlestown and in Maiden with
Thomas Coytmore and his wife Martha.

Mr. Hill died in Maiden, 13 February 1669/70, aged
about 65 years. He married about 1639, Sarah Long



l6 MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY

daughter of Robert Long of Charlestown and she survived
him. In 1705 Nathaniel Ball testified that he had lived
with Abraham Hill at the mill fifty-nine years before,
which indicates that Mr. Hill was keeper of the Coytmore
mill in Maiden as early as 1646. (Wyman's Charlestown
Families).

In 1664 Abraham Hill obtained letters patent for " a
new way of making of a gun or pistoll, the breech whereof
rises upon a hindge by a contrivance of a motion from
under it, by which it is also let downe againe and bolted
fast by one and the same motion." (New England His-
torical and Genealogical Register, 33:351-) It appears
that in 1664 there was only the Maiden Abraham Hill
living in New England but whether the inventor lived in
Maiden or in Old England is a matter for further investi-
gation.

Among the first English children to play about Maiden
Square over two and half centuries ago were the following
children of Abraham and Sarah (Long) Hill :

I. Ruth Hill, b. 2 June 1640; m. 7 Oct. 1659, at
Maiden, William Augur (Eager).
2. II. Isaac Hill, b. 29 Oct. 1641 ; bapt. at the
Charlestown First Church, 31 Oct. 1641.

III. Abraham Hill, Jr., b. 1 Oct. 1643.

IV. Zachary Hill.

V. Sarah Hill, b. 19 Aug. 1647 ; d. — Oct. 1649.
VI. Sarah Hill, b. — Oct. 1649, in Maiden.

VII. Mary Hill, b. May 1652, in Maiden.

VIII. Jacob Hill, b. —March 1656/7, in Maiden.

2. Isaac Hill (Abraham 1 ) was b. 29 Oct. 1641 ; d.
in Maiden, prior to 23 Feb. 1720/1. He m. (1) at Maiden,
— June 1666, Hannah Hayward (Haward, Howard)



MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1 7

daughter of Samuel Hayward (Howard) of Maiden. He
removed to Cambridge where his wife d. 25 April 1679.
He m. (2) 12 Jan. 1679/80, Sarah Bicknell (Bicknal).
He returned to Maiden about 1682 and was living here in
1704, when he and his brother made a deposition as fol-
lows :

" Isaac Hill of maiden Aged about sixty-three yeeres
and Abraham hill about sixty-one Testifieth and saith y 1
their father Abraham Hill was tennent and keeper of y e
corn-mill in maiden formerly belonging to m r Thomas
Coitmore at y e time of m r John Coggains marrige with y e
widdow wintrope formerly ye widdow Coitmore. And y*
after said Coggins marria : w th s d wido : he y e s d Abraham
Hill continued Tennant in possession of said mill : In
right of said Coggan for sundrey yeeres — and paid y e
rent to said Coggan : but y e mill-pond in Maiden beeing
neer half a mile distance from y e mill and considering y e
grate charge in maintaining of troues and frams to bare y e
troues over a thurt y e Streeme to carry y e water ouer y e
land doun to y e s d mill : The s d Coggain Altred and
Remoued y e said mill further up y e streeme neere to y e s d
mill-pond [Coytmore Lea] . And after s d mill was remoued
The same was still Improued and possessed by said
Coggan: and his sucessers," etc. (Corey, 87).

The marriage of John Coggan to Mrs. Martha (Coyt-
more) Winthrop occurred in Boston, 10 March 165 1/2 and
Mr. Coggan died 27 April 1658, which approximately
indicates the period of Abraham Hill's service as keeper of
the mill and of its removal to the site of the Maiden Dye
House.

" At a meeting at Isak hills of the Selectmen and com-
missioner" 30 Aug. 1684, it was reported that "expenses
about the bell taking downe and hanging up 2 shillings



1 8 MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY

and 4 pence" had been incurred. (Ibid. 206). "At a
Meeting of y e selectmen at Isaac Hills y e 19 January
1693/4, It is ordered y 1 one Wensday next which is y e 24
of this Instant Janeuary shall be the day for all y e Inhab-
itants of this Town to cut an carry firewood for Mr.
Wigglesworth " (Ibid. 286). He was made a freeman 22
March 1689/90. He was one of the proprietors and free-
holders who shared in the allotment of 3,500 acres in the
north part of the town. (Ibid. 377). Much of the town
business was transacted at the Hill ordinary for many years.

He was a trooper in the Middlesex Militia when Sir
Edmund Andros was Governor in 168 1 and became a mem-
ber of the Foot Company in 1689. He was appointed on
various committees to act for the town in 1691, 1693 and
1695, and was a member of the committee to lay out a high
way on the west side of the Three Mile Brook Meadows
and beyond Wayte's Mount in 1695. He was one of the
proprietors and freeholders for the allotment of land in
1695 also. In 1705 the selectmen petitioned "for the
hanging of a Gate neer the pound of Isaac Hills." Two
years later the town authorized the selectmen to agree with
Mr. Hill for entertaining ministers for time past. From
1681 to 1698 the town allowed him to keep an " ordarye."
In 17 1 1 he was chosen to represent the town at the Court
of Sessions of the Peace. He was a representative to the
General Court in 1698. (Corey's History of Maiden, 669.)

In his chapter on an Historic Corner published in
" Days and Ways in Old Boston," Walter Kendall Watkins
says that Hezekiah Usher, son of the first bookseller of the
colony, "while on a journey in the winter of 1696/7 " fell
from his horse in the town of Maiden and was taken to the
tavern of Isaac Hill in an injured condition." So the old
tavern sheltered the sick and the afflicted as well as the
weary traveller of " y e olden tymes."



MALDEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY 1 9

Children by wife Hannah :

I. Isaac Hill, Jr., b. — June 1670, in Maiden.
II. Zachariah Hill, m. at Maiden 1700, Judith

Bucknam.
III. Sarah Hill, b. 5 Feb. 1677/8, at Cambridge.

Children by wife Sarah :
3. IV. Moses Hill, b. 27 Sept. 1680, at Cambridge.

V. Thomasin Hill, b. 11 Dec. 1685, at Maiden;
m. at Maiden, 23 Nov. 1703, Phineas
Upham of Maiden.
VI. Abraham Hill, b. 22 March 1687/8, at Mai-
den.
VII. Isaac Hill, Jr., b. 1 Dec. 1693, at Maiden.

3. Moses Hill (Isaac 2 , Abraham 1 ) was born in
Cambridge, Mass., Sept. 27, 1680; died at Maiden, July


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Online LibraryMalden Malden historical societyThe register of the Malden historical society, Malden, Massachusetts (Volume 4) → online text (page 1 of 20)